Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    ZOOMS past me at high speeds I catch up to at the next traffic light. Then off they go again and disappear over the next hill, and again, at a traffic light there they sit. Wonder what his mpg is and what did it get him?

Zoom zoom = low fuel economy. Blasting off from a light stop = low fuel economy. But it's FUN!

Don't go by mph (km/h), go by rpm at cruising.

fowler3
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
  • Options
    krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    Pat, was that referencing my post about the "Hello Kitty" seat covers? If so, I am sorry for posting it here. Can I use the excuse that I am new around here? :D

krotine
  • Options
    pazepaze Member Posts: 2
    Hello, does anyone know if Mazda is planning to come up with a more
    powerfull version of the Protege5 Station Wagon?? I love everything
    about the car but the 130HP engine...
    I am ready to buy the car but I am also hesitant about the engine.
    Thanks in advance for any tip...
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    AFAIK, there are no plans for a turbo P5 like the MS Protege. However, if you really want, you could drop one in yourself... :O
  • Options
    Or wait for the Mazda3 in late 2004.

I hear (rumor here) that the 2.3L engine stock in the Mazda6 will be an option.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    My local MS dealer said there are plans for a P5 just like the MS Pro if the sedan does well. It's hard to judge whether or not he knows what he is talking about, though.

At any rate, it won't be any time soon - perhaps late next year? Shortly after, the Protege will be replaced with the Mazda3 and will evidently have the more powerful 2.3 L Mazda I4 as an option and supposedly will come with a hatch/small wagon version - details haven't been officially released, though.
  • Options
    I always thought a turbo P5 would be a good idea, but was never sure why they didn't do it. I mean, the P5 definitely has more boy-racer potential to it, so why not?
  • Options
    pazepaze Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all for the tips, they are very much appreciated.
    My local dealer also mentioned they could turbo the P5 for me, however he did not get into details...do you have any idea of how much more I can expect to pay for the Turbo and how much more HP would I get??

Thanks again,
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT MIKE????

They are the same frigging car!

you must have been blinded by the standard-equipped body kit on the P5 to make that statement.

a body-kitted sedan looks much sportier IMO :-)
  • Options
    is from Flying Miata. I will cost you around $3500 just for the kit. add labor cost on top of that if you're not a DIY type of person.
  • Options
    I think www.protegeclub.com has good details on turbos...or at least links to websites.

Or try this site:

http://www.tripointengineering.com/

Looks interesting, but pricey.

• Options
    Just add money. And say goodbye to your powertrain warranty. Maybe, just maybe, if you had the dealer do it, they might be "understanding" if you had any problems after the install.

Eh, who needs a warranty anyway?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No - there was a message from someone who wanted to sell a car and a response to it. Your message is still here.

You can't sell stuff you own here, that's all.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Why not a Turbo P5?
  • Options
    you'll have to wait for the 4th gen Mazda3 to have a possible 5 door Mazdaspeed version...
  • Options
    mazdanymazdany Member Posts: 28
    From what I have read on these boards, the new Mazda 3/Protege (Ford Focus) will have a 225HP I4 turbocharged engine as an option, the sport wagon will have the option of a 2.3L I4 (probably from the 6) and will share the same platform as the Focus. Has anyone heard any info about the base I4? I checked on carseverything.com that there is supposed to be a 2.0L I4 for the 6. Is this the same 4cyl that will be in the 2004 Protege? Power is rated at around 140HP after I did the power unit conversions. Are there any spoiler pics out there on the 2004?
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    The Pro currently has a 2.0 130hp, 130 lb.ft torque and a 1.6 105hp or so engine on the Canadian SE trim.

The 6 I4 is a new 2.3 engine that could very well find itself in the top of the line ES and 5 trims of the Protege.

No pics yet (:

Dinu

Thanx for the correction Bruno! (See post 18968)
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    2.0l max-torque is 135 lb.ft (and not lb/ft)
  • Options
    I have no idea if this is the same one that will end up in the 3.
  • Options
    mazdanymazdany Member Posts: 28
    The 2.0L I4 in the 6 is supposed to be for Europe and Japan.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    US automotive torque specs always seem to be stated as so-many "ft.lbs" (not "lb.ft"). But away from autos I have seen "lb.ft" used often. I wonder why this has never been made standard, either one way or the other. Anyone know?
  • Options
    An engin as big as 2.3 liters in the front of the Protege though. Seems it would be too heavy.
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    Mazda's new 2.3L engine has an all aluminum block, unlike the cast iron 1.6L, 1.8L and 2.0L. This should address the weight issue.
  • Options
    Just seems to be a little overkill in a car as small as the current car. And if they make it bigger then what's the 6 for?
  • Options
    browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    I found Hawk brake pads for 44$ online and EBC Green for 79$ at Tire Rack. Have any of you guys used either of these products. I'm not really expecting any performance gains to these (maybe a little less brake fade which I've never really had anyways), I just want to know if they last about the same as the stock pads. My stock pads crapped out after 53000 kms. Dealer is asking 120$ CDN for the set. 44$ american + about 15 bucks shipping will bring it to about 60 bucks, about 85-90 bucks CDN. I'm leaning more towards the Hawk pads HPSfrom the reviews I've read.

Also, the rotors, is it worth machining them for you machanic types out there. I don't have any brake pedal pulsations what so ever so I don't think they are warped.
  • Options
    pcalvinpcalvin Member Posts: 44
    Does anyone konw if Mazda still has the S plan for members of some avionics association.
    All you had to do was join the club for $50 or so, get your club member # and the S plan price was yours.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    notice something on Amazing Race last night?

(I'm not a junkie, I just sometimes watch it while my wife-junkie watches it!)

The team that was in first place for the first half of the race (I can't remember their names -- it was two guys and not the twins) took a long taxi drive (twice, actually) in Vietnam in a white 2nd-gen Protege! They had many shots of the car, including the interior (front and back seats), steering wheel with the "flying M" logo, outside, front (again with logo), etc. That made the show quite interesting for a ... Protege Junkie!!!

Meade
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd only do it if they're heavily grooved. If it's light, and you don't mind that your new pads will shortly have these grooves worn in them, then you can skip it.

However, newly machined rotors sure look nice. :)
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I think both ft.lbs and lb.ft are not standard. They are mainly used to please US consumers, why bother to standardize things that are not standard? ;-) The standard for torque should be N.m, which is 1/1.3579 ft.lbs. The unit for power is even worse, there are two different definitions of horse-power, depending where you live. They are close to each other though. The standard for power is kW (~1/0.74 hp).

Do you know how many different definitions of barrel out there? Take a guess.

Bruno
  • Options
    kbaerkbaer Member Posts: 16
    It's been a Looong while since I've posted here...

Margie, our 2000 ES is screaming for her third set of tires already at 54,000 miles. We only got about 28K out of the original Bridgestones and I replaced those with Khumo Supra Ecsta 712's. I'm disappointed with the lack of longevity (mileage) with these tires, otherwise they've been great tires. Great grip in wet and dry.

I'm now considering going down to T-rated Yokohama Avid T-4's. The tire rep at tirerack said they should be good for 35-40K. Any thoughts on this switch. Here in Florida we don't have ANY twisty roads, so handling isn't paramount.

Let me know.

KB
  • Options
    Take a look at a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2s. I got similar mileage to your Potenzas with the ones that came on my 2000 ES, but I had no plans to replace them with the same tires since an identical set that came standard on a 1992 Protege I owned hydroplaned and totaled the car at 28,000 miles.

After doing a lot of research and talking on the phone to a guy at TireRack, I purchased and had installed a set of SP Sport A2s at 33,000 miles. They're H-rated but feel almost the same as the Bridgestones, probably because I had to "Plus-Zero"-size them since they aren't available in 195/55-15. They're 205/50-15, so the thinner sidewall probably makes them feel more like the stock Potenzas. Tell you what, though -- they're MUCH quieter and smoother, and repel rain like crazy. They did admirably in four inches of snow last week too. I now have 47,600 miles on my car and 14,600 on the Dunlops with virtually no sign of wear. Their treadwear rating is 420 compared to the Potenzas' 160, and they're warranted for 60,000 miles if memory serves correctly.

Plus they're not expensive! I paid $78 per tire at TireRack.

I advise strongly that you go to TireRack's web site and check out the customer reviews of this tire! I love 'em, and a couple other guys here have purchased them and feel the same way too!

Meade

P.S. I also considered the Avid T4 and was sold on them -- until I discovered this tire ...
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Welcome back, haven't seen you in a while...
  • Options
    Stop spamming.
  • Options
    anybody coming? Dale will be there and so will I.

If you are watching TAKEN,forget it. That scifi thing has deteriorated into space junk -- a soap with halucinations.

fowler3
  • Options
    protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I purchased the T4s about 13K miles ago. So far, so good. The tire has been wearing very well, doesn't make me cringe when driving in the rain, and it is very quiet. I will say that the handling, while OK, is not nearly as good as the Potenzas. That was a trade off I was willing to make for longer life and better handling in the wet stuff though. If I had it to do over again, I think I would get something in between the two, just because it is too fun to go crazy on the twisties in the N GA mountains! Hope this info is helpful.
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Do the rocker panels (side sills in Mazdaspeak) on the Protege5 have the rock guard protection that the sedan has along the bottom of the car?
  • Options
    Do you mean the side skirts? Or the actual door panels?
  • Options
    Yes, the side skirts. On my 2001 ES Sedan, the rock guard in on the body below the doors. I was wondering if the P5 had the same sort of stuff on the side skirts.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    why do you want to make a girl out of your manly protege.....????

(re: Skirts)
  • Options
    Yes.

Meade
  • Options
    kbaerkbaer Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the responses Meade and Marty. The salesperson at Tirerack.com didn't even offer up the Dunlops as an alternative to me. Based upon your two reponses, I'll go with Meade's recommendation although the price has gone up just a few $$. I did find the same tire at tires.com just slightly cheaper when you include the freight charges. I too was leary at going down to a T-rated tire, and prefer going with an H. I won't be placing the order 'til sometime next month, but again, thanks for the input.

Happy holidays everyone!

KB
  • Options
    This afternoon we sold our 2001 Protege ES (sniffle, sniffle) to CarMax for about what we owed. Then we headed over to Millennium Mazda (Durham, NC), and picked out an Automatic 2003 Silver Protege5 w/Side Airbags and ABS. We paid $2 under invoice with the S-Plan. We will pick it up Monday since we added the rear bumper guard and the fancy compass/thermometer mirror (at dealer cost), and they need to be installed.

Thanks for the info on the rocker panels (skirts does sound girly, although it is for my wife, so that's OK).

• Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Hope your wife enjoys the car!
  • Options
    but spend a lot of time on the M6 board,too. :P

The M6 has the rock guard on the door panels I noticed.

fowler3
  • Options
    Disclaimer: This has NOTHING to do w/discs vs drums or ABS vs discs, so read on.

I've noticed in the last few days that it's taking me longer to stop the car and I have to press the pedal deeper and sooner than usual.

As you might remember I have just over 30.000 miles/48.000 kms on the PRO. I don't ride the brakes, just apply them when necessary.

I suspect they need to be replaced.

If that's the case, what brands do you recommend I take a look at? I hope the rotors are ok (should be - just 30.000 miles after all). I'm more interested in hearing about brake pads. Are there any special types? I know for rotors you can get regular or cross-drilled for example.

Dinu
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    I'm really sorry, I don't know anything about brakes, but since I missed post #500 on the Posse board, I decided I deserved #19000 here.

And don't get alarmed, but I am going to ask if you have rear drums. If you do, have you tried Malt's reverse-whiplash maneuver?
  • Options
    check your brake fluid, it may need to be replaced.

Pedal feel is more related to brake fluid than brake pads, I think.

that's one of the things Mazda recommends when doing a 30,000 mile maintenance, replace brake fluid.