Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• uttutt Posts: 16
    In 1996 I paid 7K for a '93 Protege LX. Loved that car. Four years later it was totaled in an accident. Got 4.8K back. IMO a depreciation of 2.2K for 4 years of pleasurable driving wasn't too bad. Their resale value has certainly improved.
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Pat (our distinguished and gracious host)...thank you for letting me know. I admit to not having read about all the new features of the software now being used. But I did get to place the 1st post! :-)

Larry, thanks man. It feels good to post in here. I consider all Protege owners my friends, and especially those that post here!

GOOD NEWS FOR THE DAY: I am flying out tomorrow to interview with a company in Chicago for a much better position (pay and environment). Wish me luck gang! If it works out, I will be back in the "Land of Lincoln" by the beginning of March for good.

BAD NEWS FOR THE DAY: I must be jinxed. I was following traffic up I-17 North on my way to work this morning. Brake lights, cars swerving, LARGE BOARD!!!! (Like a railroad tie) Slammed the brakes, swerved to the HOV lane, still hit part of the board. Pulled over and looked at my baby to find the passenger side of the front bumper scuffed badly, the splash shields were destroyed (those flimsy plastic covers underneath the front end) and some chips in the front of the bumper cover. Got an estimate already to the tune of $500. It could have been worse. The bumper cover will need to be repainted, the splash shields replaced, and I'll need to check my CV boots for cuts. Oh well...whaddagonnado? Other than the cosmetic damage, it seems to drive just fine. I made out better than those who hit it before me. (An Acura RL ahead of me took it full on and had three flat tires/bent rims and a LOT of front end damage.)

Meade...you're nuts....but I understand how you feel about those Zoom Zoom commercials. I crank the volume too! My wife just laughs.

Regards and TGIF!!

Pete
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    utt, the "problem" with Protege's resale value is not from year 3 to year 7. It's from new to year 3 for example.
  • hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    ABS actually reduces stopping distance on nearly all road surfaces (except sand and gravel). ABS prevents skidding during straight-ahead braking too. Skidding increases stopping distances. A car with ABS will not skid during a panic stop. Only the '01 Protege ES comes with standard 4-wheel disc brakes (ABS is optional); 4-wheel discs are not available on the other trims. ABS is definately a must-have safety feature in my opinion -- even in sunny Southern California.

MARTIN
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    for the '01 Protege ES is an option that I was debating getting. Sound like it's worth the $800 option. My auto insurance person say these features will only reduce my premiums by a few dollars but says it's a worthwhile safety investment.

Leo
    I thought cars with ABS do skid, but not continuously like with no ABS. The system has to sense skidding (or wheels locking up) first before it can intervene. It does not predict skidding.
  • My '01 ES does not have ABS. That would have been a must if I lived in Wisconsin, However now that I'm in San Diego-I didn't see the need. Also there wasn't a Pro ES available with that option when I wanted to buy one! I've only needed to use the ABS in my past cars during Winter. It was a lifesaver (literally) once on a snow/gravel/iced road. So if you live anywhere with snow I would recommend them. With the little rain we get here, I just can't see the need. Driving a bit more cautiously works just as well. IMO
    About hkchan's post: My past cars with ABS didn't allow me to push down far enough on the brake to even start to skid. (most of the time) I could get the car to start skidding on the first hard braking maneuver once in a while. After that it was just an annoying chatter.
    p.s. I would have liked the side air bags however.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    they don't (or shouldn't skid) unless as hboyd says on sand and gravel or on any loose material on the road. The car senses when it is going to skid and applies the brakes in a pulsing motion to combate it. but since its all almost instantaneous, the only thing you feel is the hard pulsing coming from your brakes.
  • After washing my protrge ( for the first time ), I found a lot of water on the inside of the doors. I do not know if anyone else has noticed this. Mine is a 2001. All the doors are the same. The doors seem to have a tight seal, but I guess not. I used armoral on the dash. The owners manual says to use a spray that is vinyl and leather safe....what is up with that. I do not see any leather in my car ( unless I am blind ). It all looks like plastic and vinyl.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I'm doing something similar here myself, but my new proposition is only a few miles from my current one!

Sorry to hear about your car. Hey, it happens, right? I dinged my own door on a table at a flea market a few weeks ago. (Don't ask.)

Get a good repair shop and your baby will be good as new in no time.

I know, though ... it still hurts.

TGIF backatch!!!

(Larry probably likes it when we use that expression ...)

Meadeball
  • Just a question for past Protege (or other) car owners. What kind of wax have you used, and how helpful was it on paint longevity and when washing?
  • how about RainX?
    How does the system predict skidding? Any time one of the wheels is locked, albeit for a fraction of a second, the car is by definition skidding. ABS functions to prevent a continous lockup (skidding). It is a reactive system. A professional driver, after practicing on the same stretch of pavement, can stop a car shorter (not by much) without ABS than one with. This does not negate the usefulness of ABS.
    I have a great body shop right by my work, I'm just not sure if I'll have it done right now. I will buy the splash guards right away, but the painting may wait. BTW, since I've been such a good customer of my current body shop, they will cut me a deal on the painting and not charge me any prep costs. That saves me about $70. Since it's below my $500 deductible, it's all out of pocket expense. It'll be worth it once I get it fixed, it's writing the check that hurts!!!

Pcalvin...I use Meguiar's Gold Class. It's easy to use and works great! My car is nearly a year old, has been waxed 4times already and no swirl marks at all!

Regards,

Pete
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I failed to take into account that the Protege ABS has EBD(Electronic Brakeforce Distribution). It's the EBD that allows each wheel to to reach maximum braking pressure without lock-up.

By the way, in sand, gravel and fresh snow, you want the wheels to lock up and create a wedge in front of the tires.

:)
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    This is a post I did on my Altima club page. its a brief overview of a sept-Oct 00 issue of CR on waxes. if you want I can scan and post a pic of the pages next week (I'm out of town til monday)

anyways.. here it is..

Gloss: very good Zymol cleaner wax, Nu Finsih paste, 3M 1 step cleaner wax, Eagle 1 wet polish, Blue Coral cleaner wax, Turtle Wax spray, Meguiar Gold class clear coat., Mother's cali gold liquid/paste, RainX ultra, Blue Coral self wax, Meguir's step 3 carnuba wax

Durability: excellent Prestone Bullet wax, Armor All, Turtle Wax Emerald advance liquid. very good-Nu Finish paste and liquid, turtle wax super hard shell. (Zymol was good, Meguiar's step 3 was poor.

Cleaning: excellent 3M 1 step cleaner wax,very good-Prestone bullet, Armor All, Mother's cali gold liquid.

Ease of use:excellentTurtle wax/Armor all/Meguiar's all spray kinds of the 3..not liquid or paste. very good-Zymol, prestone bullet, nu finish paste/liquid, Eagle 1 wet, Meguiar's Gold clear coat & also step 3 carnuba, Mother's Cali gold original liquid & also phase 3 Carnuba. Turltle wax super hard sheel paste, the wax shop super glaze, meguiar's cleaner wax paste.

prevent Hazing/scratching.excellentZymol, 3M 1 step, turtle wax super hard shell liquid, eagle 1, turtle wax spray, Meguiar gold class clear coat, armor all spray, Blue Coral self wax,Mother's phase 3 cali gold.

the top 10 are in order:
    zymol, prestone bullet wax, nu finish paste, armor all car wax, 3M 1step cleaner, turtle wax Emerald series advance liquid, Turtle wax superhard shell liquid, nu finish liquid, eagle 1 wet, blue coralcleaner wax with swirl remover(fair on swirl marks go figure)

if you want more info on a particular, ask...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I hate to interrupt one more time, but about a zillion posts back someone had a tongue in cheek post about this discussion being part "7" forever - well, that isn't necessary, so I'm changing the name to drop that part - from now on this will be "Mazda Protege" - I hope this doesn't confuse anyone.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Board
  • Why did you put that on your dash?!?!? It stinks, it makes it greasy and shiny...UGH!!! I would have a heart attack if someone applied armor all to my car!
    ...and thanks!!!

Regards,

Pete
    I only use it on the back of my mudflaps and on my car's nosemask. I won't use it on the dash, or interior. It does stink!

Meguiar's Tire Gel smells good though! Kinda like grape Kool-aid.

Regards,

Pete
  • How can I make the smell go away? What can I use that is better? Is son-of-a-gun good?....and what is this stuff in the owners manual about leather? I do not see any leather in my 2001 protege!!
    I've noticed that Armor All tends to dry out plastics, vinyl and rubber if you don't keep applying it. I use a product called SP80 that is a water based protector but I'm not sure if they have national distribution. I think Meguires also makes a similar product, but check with a local car detailer and see what they use.

:)
  • How can I make the smell go away? What can I use that is better? Is son-of-a-gun good?....and what is this stuff in the owners manual about leather? I do not see any leather in my 2001 protege!!
    It will go away by itself in about 3-5 days. If you can't wait, use some ammonia-free glass cleaner to take it off, or just use some vinegar and water.

I don't use anything on my dash but a little water to clean off the dust.

Regards,

Pete
  • My personal experience is that Nu Finish is tops by far. I put a coat on in the spring, and one in the fall. I've used it for many years on many automobiles. My 00 ES received it's first coat last July, and second last September. I live in Upstate NY . My citys nick name is "the salt city." When I washed it last week by hand the finish was like the day it came off the show room floor. I also have a 97 Nissan Quest that shines like new after 4 NY winters.

Regards,
    Mark
  • Noooo I can't let the forum die....quick guys say something!!!!
    Has anyone climbed in their trunk and closed it to see if the emergency handle actually glows in the dark?
  • Does the 99 Protege have the glow in the dark handle or is it just the 2000+ models?
  • Let me know when you do....so that I can break into your house.