Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra Problems

Comments

• Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Like cuttin the wheel lips off for 33
    inch tires ? Or That truck was used
    for SNOW PLOWING TOO ! I can see why
    all the rust!
    How come nobody makes a snow plow for
    a tundra?...........Geo

SORRY PF !
  • Options
    h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    http://ns.ballinternet.net/~admin10/vehicle-applications.php#sport

And they're not the only company who makes a plow for the Tundra. Here's a suggestion: Do a little research before before you post, it goes a long ways for your credibility.

Just how does snow plowing make a truck rust more than one that's driven in the snow just as much?

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I mean a REAL plow......
    Myers, Diamond, fisher, Western, Boss
    Not the housey kind that they sell at
    Home Depot !
    Stop over to www.plowsite.com
  • Options
    tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    The link hOudini posted seemed to be for a REAR, receiver mounted PULL plow only....Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer selling the regular, front mounted plows for the Tundra? If so, does this cause any problem with the warranty from Toyota? Any after market front suspension modifications required when mounting a front plow?
    Tom
  • Options
    aztundraaztundra Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure that you would consider it a great distance to travel for a new Toyota, but both my wife and I live in the Phoenix area, and have bought a new Toyota Avalon and Toyota Tundra in the last year. We went from dealer to dealer in the whole Phoenix metro area (about (30-50 miles across town) looking for the best deals, and I can tell you that the one owned by the huge AutoNation conglomerate had the best price both times. (Incidentally, however, we prefer to take our vehicles to a smaller privately-owned dealer for service.)

We were in fierce negotiations over several days in person, on the phone, and via email. We dealt exclusively with the Fleet/Internet departments in each case. They beat all other dealers (about 6) by at least $1000. They also gave us about a 5-day timeframe during which they would still honor all deals.
  • Options
    In many places salt is not used to de-ice roads. Salt seems to be used on the Eastern Coast much more than out west where a liquid, non-corrosive compound is used. I've been through the rust belt (I lived in Waterford, Michigan for a few years) and I can't honestly say the Toyotas are more rust-prone than any of the other makes I've seen there.

Read the fine print from that link. There's hardware available for front-mount snow plows for the Toyota Tundra.

Can I ask you guys a personal question? What is the PROBLEM with you GMC people??? Do you see the Ford and Dodge truck guys harassing everybody all the time? What are you so insecure about, and what are you trying to prove?
  • Options
    Western Does sell a 6ft. plow for a Taco.
    But not for a Tundra ! Weird huh ?
    Most truck mfrs. will not warranty
    most plow trucks ..Unless they come
    with a faCTORY plow prep. pkg !
    Heck have been plowing for years !
    even with my s-10s........geo

Houdini:funny a non tundra owner would
    post here huh?
  • Options
    duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    If you're plowing and spreading salt, and if the plows they sell at Home Depot aren't big enough for you - then you probably should be looking at a 3/4 ton truck or larger. Not the Tundra. We've been down this road before. I'll bet you better than 99.99% of all GMC trucks never see a plow - Toyota figures if you want to get into commercial snow clearing you'll buy an appropriate vehicle for it. It's a very marginal market.

Tom, I grew up in the North - all the salt spreading takes place BEHIND the vehicle. The truck spreading the salt shouldn't get any more or less on it than any other vehicle on the road. Or do they have salt spreaders in the FRONT now to match the plows in the BACK?

Jeff
  • Options
    Why would you accuse me of being insecure when I have answered your question about why trucks that plow might be more prone to rust and when I asked you some questions concerning the capabilities of the Tundra to handle standard front mount plows? I was/am interested in the answers. You seemed like you were representing yourself as being better informed than Sonjaab about snowplows for Tundras, but when I checked your link, it did not seem to be what most people consider snow plowing equipment. I have owned Toyotas in the past, and will purchase one in the future if it is capable of doing what I want it to do. At the time I looked into Tundras, answers to lots of questions were unknown. Thanks for any information you can give me.
    Tom
  • Options
    Check out www.gmbuypower.com
    Here in upstate NY 99%
    of the 2500 4x4s have snow plow
    prep option on them !
    Remember on GMs plow prep
    is available on most of them.
    Ford and mopar 3/4s too .
    Not available on any toyota truck !
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    All of the trucks you listed are 3/4 ton trucks. The Tundra is a 1/2 ton truck. When you want to compare Toyota's 1/2 ton to Chev's 3/4 tons - it says to me that you realize Chev 1/2 tons are wimpy and not worthy of comparison.
  • Options
    Having spent time in the North and knowing enough to know that spreaders are usually on the rear of plow vehicles, do you really not think plow vehicles are exposed to more salt conditions than other vehicles. What about a plow vehicle that is plowing 4" of new snow from a parking lot that was SALTED and plowed then night before? Think he might get just a little more exposure than a car just driving through the lot???? Do you realize how often this happens....plow, salt...next day, plow, salt....next day, plow salt...
    Do you realize how much of the "spray" from plowing gets on the plow vehicle?
    Tom
  • Options
    i FORGOT TO mention that snow plow
    prep. pkg is also available on
    1/2 ton regular cab full size GM trucks.
    Sorry to confuse anyone.
    Check out www.gmbuypower.com
    option code VYU
  • Options
    nomoregmnomoregm Member Posts: 158
    Boy, the internet is seriously flawed. Does anyone know where we can go and speak freely without being deluged with adds (power shopper!)and having your hard work and research stripped away like a pair of panties on prom night? How Ghastly.

I can understand deleting a few posts or even a standing-8 count for those individuals that can't take a hint and who constantly rant off topic. But you shouldn't toss the whole board for a few people's transgressions. Gonna miss all the FUN at the GM Knock Site.

Edmunds prides itself on its reviews like many others. But they won't do the "heavy lifting" either. That's always left to the little guy in this Country. I thought I might apologize for my part. But then I thought...hmmmm, I already have. Go read, "Fahrenheit 451".
  • Options
    duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    I'm not buying your argument.
  • Options
    kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    I'm happy with the Tundra especially in the 1/2 ton department, but if wanted to buy a real worktruck! it would be a Ford are even a Dodge. Why would anybody in the right frame of mind buy a gm truck. I mean they use to mount gas tanks in front of the rails instead of between them what kind of engineering is that!. Speaking of engineering, in todays technology gm can't even design a engine without piston slap and excessive oil consumption! I mean what a joke and thats not counting the numerous other problems like premature transmission failure and electrical problems.
  • Options
    losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Well if you can keep it somewhat Toyota related then this thread usually provides ample entertainment. Im getting pretty impatient waiting for the 03 Tundra's to come out lol. Need to step into a Toyota for once and away from these GMs ... theyve done me well but time for change. Time to march to a different beat, or knock as you may know it lol.
  • Options
    You REALLY don't think a snow plow vehicle is exposed to more salt than an ordinary vehicle driven in areas where they use salt? I'm sure there are several "plowheads" who will be glad to know there are folks who don't worry about the salt exposure their trucks have had when they are ready to replace them. Fact is with proper care you can minimize the damage from the salt exposure. Problem is most guys who plow all night or all day probably don't take time to thoroughly wash their truck when finished....especially underneath.
    Good luck on this one now.
    Tom
  • Options
    Am I the only one who thinks these vocal GMC folks are just a little too big for their britches? When one reviews the record, they've nothing to brag about. First, everybody knows that for serious work, a truck is equipped with a diesel. Chevy diesels were horrible - so horrible they discontinued them and had to have Isuzu (!!) make their diesels for them. It's no coincidence you see mostly PSD Fords pulling the big loads like multipe car trailers and horse trailers. The Chevy diesels were such a flop they weren't even a contender in the heavy duty diesel market.

Now Chevy has jumped on the bandwagon with their Isuzu engine and Allison transmission combo. Surprise, now the Allison transmission is giving their owners headaches. There's quite a few posters right here who can attest to that. In my mind and in most others as well, if you need a serious work truck with a diesel, Chevy still isn't a proven contender. Again, enter Ford PSD.

If that weren't bad enough, and you were in the market for a non-diesel truck, Chevy still can't get it right. Their gassers are so problematic with their knocking engines, bad transmissions, shaking tendencies, flimsy interiors, etc who would want one?

If GMC was half as great as some of the folks here say they are (sonjaab), would you have to insist it upon the rest of us? Or wouldn't the trucks just speak for themselves? That's exactly why you don't see the Ford guys in here, they've got great trucks (particularly the PSDs), everybody knows it, and the trucks speak for themselves. Instead of force-feeding us with your pro GMC nonsense, why don't you let the product speak for itself?

I'll always step up to the plate and defend Toyota. They make great cars and trucks, and that includes the Tundra. If they didn't, their Corolla wouldn't be the most popular car in the world, and the Camry and Lexus line wouldn't be the most successful cars in America. Hold your horses and quit comparing Tundras to 3/4 ton trucks. That's asinine and we all know it. I've no doubt Toyota has the know-how to build a big truck, all they have to do is develop it if it's feasible/profitable for them. And they won't have to go very far to make something better than these knocking pushrod V8, cheap interior, shaking GMCs.
  • Options
    Well said!
  • Options
    kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Isuzu's Duramax/allison combo IS proven.
    kip
  • Options
    other applications, absolutely. But too many many people are weary of this combination in the GMCs because it's too new and nobody knows how they will fare. The Ford and Dodge diesels ARE proven because they got it right a long time ago. GMC is playing catch-up.
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Didn't you mention earlier to do some research before you posted?

The Duramax & Allison are too new?
    The Allison 1000 series transmission is new to the light duty trucks only, as it has been in production for many years. Also, Isuzu is one of the largest producers of desiel engines.

As for anyone knocking GM for farming the parts out, welcome to diversification. GM is part owners in both of those companies.
  • Options
    "By now, most people familiar with the Diesel Page know that GM will introduce a brand new diesel engine for its HD pickup truck line next year as a 2001 model. This engine, named the "Duramax 6600...is a totally new 90-degree V-8 diesel engine..."

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/news5.htm

The Duramax 6600 is indeed a new engine (but made by an experienced diesel manufacturer) and has a ways to go before it can be considered as "proven" as Ford's PSD, IMHO. As for the Allison 1000 - if you read the threads pertaining to this transmission, you'll find it has been tweaked in its GMC truck application, but I don't recall the details off the top of my head.

So what you have is a new engine which has never been mated before to the Allison 1000, which has been reworked, all in a GMC truck with far less time under its belt than the competition. I wouldn't call that a "proven" combo by any stretch of the imagination.

• Options
    ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    I BEG YOU PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD. IT IS POINTLESS AND ITS CONTENT DOES NOT REFLECT THE TITLE.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Not being able to support a snow plow IS a Tundra problem. Every other truck sold as full size can accommodate one.

The real joke is the argument put up that ice melts today are noncorrosive, or that salt is not used. The liquid ice-melt referred to, is MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, which is similarly corrosive to salt, because guess what's mixed with it? (Sodium Chloride!)

But that misses the point. Not even Houdini can escape the trap he set for himself by picturing a 30 year old truck, then arguing it wasn't corroded by road salt because of so called noncorrosive liquid ice melts that have only been in widespread use the last 5 years, and don't work for all temperatures, and IS mixed with regular road salt anyway when applied. LMAO!!! If you asked most Tundra owners where babies come from, most could answer, but do they know where road salt comes from? When you pick up a load of it, the truck is literally immersed in it, on the wet ground, spilling from the hopper or load bucket, and turning into a liquid saline solution as the precipitation it's made to combat settles over the load.

But that misses the point. The 30 yr old truck pictured didn't corrode from plowing. It corroded from the surf, salt spray from the sea. A Toyota from the same decade would be part of the reef, and a worthy home for aquatic life! And that is a Toyota problem!

The GM haters have always been desperate, and now plenty envious too, of the soon to be copied, heavy duty 5 speed automatic, and the soon to be copied Duramax diesel, that has driven the present PSD into certain obsolescence, to be replaced by a more fuel efficient design of smaller displacement, and cause for Daimler Chrysler to seek modifications to the Cummins diesel to employ common rail fuel injection like the Duramax, while offering a Mercedes alternative.

Keep trying I guess, but it's your own inability to come to grips with the fact that the Lemonundra is on the Center for Auto Safety list of the 25 worst vehicles for customer complaints, that has you bashing GM in your own topic. I take it as a compliment that you seem helpless to avoid talking about GM trucks, taking your futile banter wherever you hope someone will listen.

Good luck on this one now!

http://www.lemonlaw.com/lemonlist.html

1-800-LEMONLAW
  • Options
    If compact trucks can support a plow, why can't the Tundra? And if what you said was true, would not supporting a plow be a problem for the majority of us who don't experience snow?

And magnesium chloride, which is mostly used here in the Pacific Northwest, is NOT as corrosive as the sodium chloride typically used in the east. Why do you think the "rust belt" is in the east?

http://www.city.kamloops.bc.ca/utilities/pollution/PS2000Dec.html

"Not even Houdini can escape the trap he set for himself by picturing a 30 year old truck, then arguing it wasn't corroded by road salt because of so called noncorrosive liquid ice melts that have only been in widespread use the last 5 years, and don't work for all temperatures, and IS mixed with regular road salt anyway when applied..."

I said no such thing. I simply posted irrefutable proof that sonjaab's claims of GMCs being rust-free is nonsense, as is your interpretation of my postings.

So the Duramax is going to drive Ford's PSD into obsolescence, huh? You must be related to Cleo, being able to see the future and all. With a more efficient design of smaller displacement, no less. Hmmm, kind of like Toyota's trend of smaller, more efficient designs?

• Options
    Excellent post....nuff said cuz your
    wasting your time !

Houdini: I never said GMs were rust
    proof ! Just try and find ANY 70s
    (or even early 80s too)
    vintage Toyotas here in the rust belt NY !
    ALSO as I said before NO major plow
    company makes a real plow for tundra !
    But Western DOES make one for the tacoma,
    ranger, s-10, dakota and a few more.
    Strange huh? The taco,s10 etc.
    MUST be tougher
    than that full size tundra !

Tundra problems:
    check out www.tundrasolutions.com

GOOD LUCK ONE THIS ONE NOW !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Please close down this topic!! If you look at the posts from the last month - you will see that there are 5 times as many posts from disgruntled GM owners as there are from Tundra owners.

Do you think that the last two posts from Quad and Sonja really add anything to this topic? Quad and his cohorts have posted the same link saying that the Tundra is a lemon at least five times in the last few days. Does this really help?

We all are unfortunate enough (according to Quad and Sonja) to have bought Tundras. Can we please have this topic shut down to avoid all of the mindless babble of unfortunate GM owners?

Sonja has posted links to Tundrasolutions website at least 10 times claiming that it makes her GM truck look better. While I will agree with her that Tundrasolutions is a great website, isn't the purpose of this website for owners of Tundras to post problems?

At the very least - could we get the name of the topic changed to "Quad and Sonja's playground". That will avoid any confusion from Tundra owners expecting to see any useful information.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A point well taken. The point of the topic is to have a place for Tundra owners to discuss and share information on problems that they may be having with their vehicles. Hopefully the information will be helpful. Flaming each other and each other's choice of trucks is NOT.

This nonsense of trying to prove that one brand is better than the other by taking shots at each other is WAY past old and needs to stop.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    I too am glad you are happy with your Lemonundra. Your expectations are small. Owners have been complaining in droves to the NTHSA. Tundra complaint ratio index 2454

2002 LEMON LIST

1-800-LEMON-LAW

Services are free! You have nothing to lose...except your LEMON!

To get rid of your lemon click here

Free LEMON Survival Kit!
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the Tundra complainants are pursuing extended warranty/buyback/lemon-law benefits in comparison to GMCs right now.

I rest my case.
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    On the same token I wonder how many of those Tundra owners that file complaints are telling themselves that they bought a toyota because they are more reliable than any other truck.
  • Options
    I personally have noticed that perspective Toyota owners seem to hold very high expectations of Toyota's. So it seems like when even the littlest of things goes wrong, they tend to complain about it. I'm not sure what nature of complaints are being generated according to Quad's post, but I tend to wonder if it's not due to the nature of the Toyota owner.

I say this because I know several newer GM owners and quite a few of them didn't even know their trucks knocked lol. Once they figured it out, they decided to check into it, not sure if they made any formal complaints. I don't want to defend the Tundra complaints nor do I want to dismiss them. I'll have to do some more checking into them and see what kind of quality we're talking. I do believe however, that demographics may play a role in complaints received as well as the makeup of the typical brand consumer ... i.e. Ford, Chrysler, Etc.
  • Options
    This may sound like a good idea but wouldn't solve much of anything. A new one would just be created and the same problems and people would simply transfer over. Just another headache in a different spot. Not to mention guys ... if you look around, there's not really any other topics dedicated to Tundra issues.

There's plenty of us who will argue one point over another till we're bluein the face, that's what these forums are for, constructive postings. We have the freedom to share our life experiences and have the opportunity to learn from others. Nothing wrong with a good debate now and then right. It's just up to us to keep our heads about us and not resort to the personal attacks as our host constantly points out.

Cheers
  • Options
    one who feigns to be what he is not;especially,one who pretends to be pious,virtuous,etc. without really being so.
    "And the hypocrite's hope shall perish."
    Job viii.13

Why is it that the one asking P.F. Flyer to shut down this topic(#1135) because it's off topic is the biggest troll in the gm topics,typically posting about things he has demonstrated he does'nt understand?

More importantly;why does OUR HOST allow this troll, who hasn't posted much helpfull advice IN HIS OWN TOPICS,free reign of this board?Why does OUR GRACIOUS HOST then rush to his defense when he complains?

Kip Lambel (kg11)
  • Options
    Aren't you being just a little bit of a hypocrite yourself? This is the tally of unfortunate GM owners posting to the Tundra problems topic since the 1st of May (13 days):

Quad - 20
    Truthteller(sic)- 3
    Sonja - 20
    KG11 - 7
    Oby - 6
    Tom - 7

63 posts in the last 13 days. And you are whining? You need to take the GM blinders off!!
  • Options
    to "GM engine knock"?Have you offered any help to anyone here in the last 13 days?
  • Options
    Open your eyes!! 63 posts from non-Tundra owners in the last 13 days. Honestly - wouldn't you say that this is a worthless topic?
  • Options
    hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Why close the topic simply because a few Tundra boys can't take the bashing (aka truth LOL!). Laemt argues and debates without personal attacks or taking every little thing personally. Delete the posts that contain personal attacks and let it be!

My question concerning the "Lemon List" is why is it that the Tundra is the only Toyota product on it? Newer platform? Maybe, but there are some other new Toyota platforms out there that don't appear on it. The newer GM trucks appeared about the same time as the Tundra/Sequoia trucks and SUVs and there are no Silverados or Tahoes etc on it. Hmmm...
  • Options
    One of those nasty "non-Tundra owners"

Who cares if he's informed and don't make personal attacks?Who cares if he's good natured and gets along with everyone? He don't own a Tundra so he don't belong here.

kip
  • Options
    If they were, would the same circle of GMC folks have to insist it upon us? Or would the truth emerge by actual lemon owners stepping forth, as has happened overwhelmingly in the numerous GMC threads?

Yet another reliablility/customer satisfaction survey notes the Tundra as taking top honors:

http://www.vision-inc.com/01_tqa_release.html

NOTE: No GMC products anywhere on that list.

• Options
    Correct me if I am wrong - your lemonado did not even make the list!!!

As much as you hate to admit it - doesn't this say that the Tundra is a better truck? I am amazed that you are finally admitting this!

• Options
    Or this will be your fate!

• Options
    bamatundra May 13, 2002 6:56pm

"Correct me if I am wrong - your lemonado did not even make the list!!!

As much as you hate to admit it - doesn't this say that the Tundra is a better truck? I am amazed that you are finally admitting this!

Simply astounding. Bama thinks it is some kind of honor for a vehicle to make the Lemon List. I'm actually speechless for once.

• Options
    I think Toyota has scrapped plans for a Lemon truck color. They couldn't get rid of the orange peel.
  • Options
    I advised Edmund's that you are providing free advertising for you lawyer buddies. No need to thank me.

The original list had the F150 at the top. I think that the GM zealots conveniently chopped off that top of the list. Since the Lemonado was not at the top of the list (which was conveniently chopped off) or the bottom of the list - Where does that leave the LEMONADO?

This is a trick question for GM zealots.
  • Options
    LOL, you don't even have to wait till your GMC's paint peels to know you've got one bitter lemon!
  • Options
    Free advertising by posting a link to a website? Did houdini get permission from that GMlemon site to direct link the lemon photo a few posts ago? Oops...better read the forum guidelines!

And to answer your question "Since the Lemonado was not at the top of the list (which was conveniently chopped off) or the bottom of the list - Where does that leave the LEMONADO?"

It leaves it...(drumroll!!!)...not on the lemon list! If you think some vehicles have been chopped off(?) then email those lawyers that posted the list instead of whining to me. Dang-all this talk of lemons is making me thirsty.
This discussion has been closed.