Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• k_mitsuik_mitsui Member Posts: 26
    Hello kyfdx
    You are correct that we should wait a few days to wait for the real sedan coming out on photos and I am now having some suspicion as to the validity of the photo posted on autospies. This is because as I very closely examine this picture to the ones that was posted on the Yomiruri forum, there's something not right for the sedan (but not by very much). For example the front looks similar to the ones I saw from the Yomiruri without the shining front chrome grille, but the sides like the position of the door handles appears not right in dimension and the wheels are look way too big than the ones showed on the Yomiruri forum. Nevertheless, the car still looks pretty close to the one showed on the Yomiruri forum, but it would be worthwhile wait and see what Toyota might show for us because may-be the people from Yomiruri forum post the wrong picture for the IS sedan.
    Nevertheless a couple of Japanese newspapers have done a statistic last year as to how many (in percentage) these publications have accurately identify the Japanese sedan model a year before it’s release and Yomiruri scored the highest point with the accuracy at around 76.5%, CarMag 69.7%, MagX 60.2% , CarMode 53.2%, etc.
    Ken
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I dont see why not. The press has no problem comparing a 225hp 330i vs. 270hp Acura TL, and G35, which already has 298hp if you opt for the stick.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    The IS will go from 220 HP to 315HP in one trim level, with no V8.

DrFill
  • deanedelldeanedell Member Posts: 16
    are floating around on the internet now. Looks to be the real deal...looks good IMO. Interior appears to be more lux than the current one. Lots of styling cues from the LF-C. Can't read the specs but doesn't appear to be G35 sized.
    Yeah 315hp out of a normally aspirated V6 seems a bit lofty to me as well. I would say 300 at the most.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    3.5 that is already making 280 hp in the new Avalon? I am sure 300 hp is a reasonable expectation if that is the case.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Wow.
    All I can say is its nice to see Toyota FINALLY throwing their hat in the power game with Nissan and Honda. Toyota has always kind of scoffed at the rest of the world for being so obsessed with horsepower, but it seems like now they are starting to realize if they cant keep up, they are never going to be able to sell Lexus as a sporty brand. I think the new 4.6L V8 will really show the world how its done in terms of the perfect blend of power and refinement.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    http://tinypic.com/1y3i3r
    http://tinypic.com/1y3i85
    http://tinypic.com/1y3i9i

Looks great, IMO ! Just gotta wait for the actual specs....
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Mmm, I see resemblence of the GS in the IS from the rear lights, rear door, and the door handles.
  • speedluxspeedlux Member Posts: 23
    good find,
    It look like it interior is higher quality than the last IS, and it look a lot like Mark X interior which debuted months ago. The rear mirror look so cool, only found in exotic sport cars. Now, How many people in this forum will take this over new bmw3?
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Very Tc look from the side, don't really like the rear end that much. Front end still has the old IS look.
    The BMW basically no change from current. I think it is risky business not to improve the body for another 6, 7 years.

A 300+HP is reported for the IS, it will kill competition, but first, it must kill Lexus GS.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It "looks" OK.
    I wonder if it has a usable back seat or is as cramped as the current IS300.
    The UK mag that published the IS photos (CAR magazine) mentioned an IS250/IS300 and no IS350 ! Could that be possible that Lexus would pull the 3.5L motor off the IS not to crap on the new GS300 ??? Would make sense for the GS market, but why bait-and-switch us like that ?? I sure hope that its gonna be a rumor and not fact.

:(

crossing fingers and legs and hoping not again after the GS disappointment....
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    European versions of cars that come here often have smaller and/or less powerful motors than we get.

The new IS looks fantastic, if those pictures are a true likeness, but it will garner some criticisms for having a lot of Mazda3 cues, I am afraid.

The next GS will be the GS350 anyway, instead of the GS300, won't it? And if so it would make sense for the next model up in the line to make standard the optional engine on the IS.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

LOVE the bold, sharp front end, the 5 series rear end (I'm the one that thinks the 5 series is hot), and the low stance. I'm surprised the wheel wells are so small. Definitely a limit on how big your wheels can be. Maybe no more than 18"!

Is MUCH better-styled than the new 330! I still LOVE the 3's design (Timeless), but the styling is on a decline.

The only negative I see is the Grand-Prix C-Pillar. From three-quarters, it's fine, but in profile, it reminds me of the Grand Prix and old Neons.

This will be big!!

Thanks, Lexus!

DrFill
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    Here we go again...
    All the rumors of a 3.5L IS350 will soon be replaced by the harsh reality of the IS300. Let's face it, Lexus will never have a more powerful engine on it's entry level sport sedan (IS) compared to the premium sports sedan (GS).

Ain't gonna happen.....
    Will NOT have a MT.

Two Tings!

First Ting: They HAVE the tranny!

Supra Turbo. So that's not a problem. Just Dura Lube it and it's ready to rock!

And my steamy #2: They are DELIBERATELY holding it back!

Since the first year sales will be HOT! They will hold that ace in the hole til '07.

This car ROCKS!! Need a 245HP IS300 model (AT only), to draw all the poseurs away from the MT trims. Don't want ANY excuses for MT shortages on lots!

DrFill
    As Sin-Sai of this here discussion, I feel it is my duty to inform you all that I have created THE forum of all forums, the discussion that holds the Automotive World in it's balance, the talk for only those who can walk the walk!

In Sedans, under Sedans vs. Sedans, the new forum is 2006 IS vs. 2006 3-series, vs 2005 G35!

And let's make this the HOTTEST forum online!!

Thank You (Ben Stern)!

DrFill
  • cbanccbanc Member Posts: 10
    In Businessweek, 2/28/05 edition, the new V6 in the IS 350 will have well over 300 horsepower according to Lexus.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I read the Businessweek article...

My take: Don't go to Businessweek or the WSJ for your automotive news..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Calm down guys, we wil all know in a few days which engine its going to get.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Will we?

P.S. I think the launch date is in Fall , not 2007. Spring of 07 will launch ES, FJ, and the GS-h.

At this point, only the h can save the GS somewhat.

Shall we try to see who can get the HP of the IS the closest? I think a even number of 300.
    It'll be in Geneva, with a badge on the back that will say either 300 or 350.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Are those pics the real deal?

M
    In favor of the Mash Pit that is "Entry Level Performance Sedans", where everything from a Legacy Gt to 4-cyl TSX are thrown in.

A totally unfocused forum.

Hopefully, a light will go on in Upstairs, and things will improve over there.

There's only so much I can do to help.

Merc

So what do you tink?

DrFill
    Sorry doc. I understand the mods are trying to keep things tidy, but occasionally they do just go a TAD bit overboard with the pruning.
    Then maybe I can get something done. :)

So, LG, do you dig the IS? I think they've finally got something for drivers everywhere.

DrFill
    If that is the new IS I do like it better than the current car, but of course I need to see it in person. I see too much Scion TC in the side profile though. Engines??

M
    Better than the current car (Which I like a lot) from you is not much of a compliment.

Compared to the next 3?

DrFill
    All I've seen are the Car magazine pictures, but yeah, I certainly like it a lot more than the current car, which looks VERY dated in comparison. I definitely want to see more.
    Oh, well give me a chance to actually see the official pics and what not, then I can say for sure. I haven't see the new 3 in person either, only pics so.....

M
    Has aged very well to my eyes

Wouldn't hesitiate to get CPO

DrFill
    The pics we have recently seen EXACTLY match the Official Silouhette Teaser released by Lexus just recently as promotion for their 4-door arriving at the Geneva Auto Show this week.

Bet your last money that these latest images are THE NEXT IS!

DrFill
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Baby GS.

I think you know my mind on that.

If that is the real deal, then they will have upped the demographic by a solid 10 years. Exactly the opposite of what the car was supposed to do.

Can't wait for not only real pics, but an actual spec sheet. Then we will know something. Right now, it's aging the Lexus customer once again, IMO.
  • is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    I love it! I had very high expectations and I had already thought to myself, no matter how good it looks, it's going to be a let down.
    Well, I'm happy to say I love it! The side profile rocks. The aggressive front takes the current IS to the next level!
    If the specs are good tomorrow and I can get the IS350 in a manual my deposit will be placed on March 2nd!
    Again, cars are very personal. Not everyone will love this new design, I'm just happy I am one that does =)
    Lexus, YOU ROCK!
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Aging the customer base? Wasn't the current IS much critized for being juvenile in appearance from the boyracerish tail lights to the interior. Part of the reason for the poor sales just look what the G35 is doing in sales. Execution on this new one is 10X better. They hit the market on the head with this one, no complaints and the interior should be a whole bunch nicer I'm betting.
    Wale: Hate to say this, but I don't think you are a typical IS owner demographic, if you care for the Sportcross....

Lexus is aiming higher with 4 model lines for the IS. Sure the demographics will change, don't you think ? An IS250, 350, vert, coupe, and possibly hybrid ? If the demographics for the IS doesn't change by the buyer of these cars, then Lexus future is doomed....

Me like the new IS. Its gonna rock with the 3.5L engine. Imagine a 3300Ib car with 300bhp, 6-speed tranny, doing an insane mid-5s 0-60 (possibly). Don't you think its gonna rock ? Being a baby GS is not that bad a pedigree either. The GS is a good looking car, imo.
    Oh, I was a GS fan when it was first intro'd. The new GS, though, is aesthetically just one more diluting of a once great design.

This is hard for many to swallow, but the GS as it has aged is by and large an old man's car, not that far off the LS for demographic appeal. This in no way implies that it's not a nice car, nor a luxurious car, nor a comfortable car, nor even a pleasureable (for some) car to drive, but it's not a sporting car. Not even in 430 trim.

The IS is supposed to be the youth-oriented, sporting entry for Lexus. To catch the first time entry-lux or near-lux buyer, and bring them into the life-long Lexus fold. From the pics, this ain't that car.

But I'll be fair. Let's see real show pics and real specs on the car. I couldn't care less if it can get to 60 in five ticks or even less; IMO that's not what the be and end all of a sport sedan is about. Any '04 GTO left on the lots can do that and deliver a nice interior (reportedly) for less than $25K. Not much to live up to...
    World class handling, great acceleration, AND a luxurious interior is why the BMW 3 series does so well. Look at the A4, C350, and new 3 series, and then the current IS300. It looks like something you'd find in a highschool parking lot, not something a "I just got my own office and I want to spend $40K on a car" guy would actually be interested in buying. Thats why nobody bought one.
    Yes 0-60 in 5 ticks is not the be-all, but its the package. Did you see the spec sheet I posted earlier on the pre-announcement of the content ? Even the shot of the interior from CAR magazine floating around shows a very nice clean interior. Lexus has earned a reputation, and leveraging that into an entry-lux IS packed chuck-full with features available on the GS and LS will no doubt enhance the IS, and position it for growth. And if it drives and handles like it should, well, it might just run away with the sector.... Remember that even the old IS300 already delivered a very capable handling and performance spec, but its overall package was a little on the short-side hence its lack-lustre sales to date. If Lexus turns this around, look-out !
    Huh? This car says "I'm young and HOT!"

What retirement home you hang out in?

Who will have the best feed of the Lexus Press Conference? I think it's overnight, and with my schedule, I may catch it live.

I also wonder what mid-gen surprises Lexus has in store. The GS has a Hybrid and 3.5. What two aces is Lexus withholding?

I'd say Manual 3.5 and Hybrid (I guess).

If Lexus were perfect, the 3.5 would have the stick, and the 2.5 would be AT only, like Mazda does with the RX-8

Let the scrubs drive the base unit!!!

DrFill
    The V8, the Convertible, the Hybrid, The 3.5 MT!

3.5 MT: Fall 2006
    Covertible: Spring 2007
    3.0/V8: Fall 2007
    Hybrid: Fall 2008

That's me plan! I got dibs!!

DrFill
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    What is all the commotion and excitement about this very bland looking new IS?

The IS is not suppose to be a GS wannabe. I predicted the IS would end up being a small GS a few months ago and my 20/20 vision is confirmed . If the specs are not impressive---this vehicle will be a DISASTER!!
    I think you guys miss the point every bit as much as you think I'm blind. I never said don't update, or make it better or be competitive. Not ever.

I only said that in updating it, don't lose the core of what the car is now. It is a sportscar among sedans. BMW has never attempted to make the 3-series the class leader on interior space (especially rear-seat), straight-line acceleration or interior luxury. They've been competitive always, but they've always been smaller, with a little less HP, and with clean, nice interiors focused on driving, not living in your car. What has made it the benchmark is how it has always been a superior driving experience.

Why make a baby GS? It's become a no-name niche entry to begin with!

We still don't know anything though. Show me all your pre-release speculation, until I see it from the horse's mandibles, I ain't going final. But the indicators aren't getting any better as we go along.
    we'll teach Dewey the rest.

DrFill
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I have to agree with my geriatric partner, wale-bale...

The teaser doesn't look good...

And, I'm betting on a 2.5 and a 3.0....

With horsepower on the top model at 275 or less...

regards,
    kyfdx
    (crystal ball gazer)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Whatever the final figures, there's no way they're going to let their entry-level model step on the toes of the up-level models, unless it coincides with a significant bump in performance in the up-models.

More likely I think from the straws blowing in the wind is that the LS, GS and IS will all get tuner treatment models down the road. I think it's wasted effort on the LS, frankly (why give grandpa even more torque for parallel parking disasters sez I), but the IS and GS could sure use some halo.
    "A good driving experience" alone doesnt get you sales, just ask IS300. The 3 series isnt the biggest, the new IS wont be either. The 3 series doesnt have the most power, but it HAS always been able to keep up with the fastest the competition could muster. The IS300 cant keep up with anybody. The 3 series isnt the leader for interior luxury in the class, I guess that would go to A4 3.0, but its always had a very nice, classy interior and a classy look to go with it. Again, IS300 has none of that. They made it for teenagers, and teenagers cant afford to spend $32K+ on a car.
    So basically what you're saying is that the 3 has never been a class leader in anything but has been able to pull it off by just doing it right, which is about what I said.

"They made it for teenagers, and teenagers cant afford to spend $32K+ on a car..."

No they didn't. The least you could do is regurgitate the company line on this accurately. They aimed it square at 20-somethings getting their career feet on the ground and ready to dump the Corolla. The average age for the current IS is 29. Seems to me like they hit it square on the head, LG.

Again, this car isn't about being more "Lexus". It never was. Competitive I understand, and we shall see.

Let's hope Road and Track gets issued a copy ASAP.