Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    I don't have access anymore, but when I did consumer reports reported $500 on the '06 LX
  • Options
    bulldogrobbulldogrob Member Posts: 2
    I bought from carsdirect.
    Mine's regularly equipped LX-SE with a 5 speed manual transmission.
    I paid 14777 with tax title and doc it was still under Hondas MSRP.

The car gets about 34 mpg. I couldn't see buying the Hybrid.
    At $2.50/gal 15kmiles/yr, my car eats $1102 in gas a year.
    Getting an extra 10 mpg (real world not EPA) a Hybrid eats $852 in gas a year.

The price difference was a good $4000 minus a tax credit. Not a good deal.
  • Options
    rovertonroverton Member Posts: 20
    Koons Honda was selling the civic 5-speed VP for 12,800 because I got that price directly but decided to wait. As a salesman I know that in 3 years everyone will want the new body style. Having been in the business 33 years, the last year of any model change drops very quickly. Not that that matters as long as you are keeping a great car.
  • Options
    gevans17gevans17 Member Posts: 27
    paid $18,000 Plus ttl for 05 Accord LX in April 2005
  • Options
    http://grabthewheel.com/en_US/
    go here & click instand prices quote.

This will help you a lot
  • Options
    Wow, I was quoted 17,900 for an 06 accord VP. I figure the milage difference wasn 't worth the comfort difference
  • Options
    didier_alldidier_all Member Posts: 5
    Hey Paul,

Any luck with Honda of Bloomfield? I live in Cleveland but I would be ready to drive to Detroit to save a $1000.

Let me know

Didier
  • Options
    phogstenphogsten Member Posts: 3
    I am purchasing a Grey 2006 Civic LX Sedan, Automatic with grey interior. I ended up paying $17,000 (since I have a 4 year old, I paid extra for an interior warranty. You should have seen the back seat of my 2004 Sebring, what a mess).

Total price $18,382.00. I put $1000.00 down and brought the purchase order to my credit Union where I completed a loan application. I was approved at Honda Bloomfield through Capital One Auto Finance (they did not tell me the interest rate). I am going through my Credit Union due to the fact that they are offering 4.9% financing on a 60 month new auto loan.

Paul
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    phogsten,

Pardon me, but what in the world is an interior warranty?
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    If there is one thing Honda doesn't know how to screw up, it's a manual transmission. They build the best shifters of any mass market manufacturer in the world. Not sure where you're gotten your info about poor shifting, but I can assure you it's incorrect.

I have test driven a 5-speed manual LX Coupe and EX Sedan. Both shifted as smooth as butter.

Be your own judge, though. As soon as you can find a manual, go drive it!
  • Options
    Here's a list of all dealer holdbacks according to Edmunds-

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/

Honda is 3% of base MSRP.
  • Options
    I also found this on Edmunds and thought some of you might find it useful. I know I do. While rebates and incentives are easy enough to find on many websites, I found something on the '05 Honda Civic labeled "Marketing Support". Clicking the link revealed that there is $300 cash to dealer on that vehicle and gives the effective dates. Something I'm sure the dealers wouldn't want anyone to know.

http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?step=1&setzip=30080&tid=edmunds.n.incen- tivesindex.incentives.1.1.*
  • Options
    only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    I managed to talk the salesman down to $15,995 and they don't even have any on the lot. He said they have not had any manual LX coupes yet but there are a few coming in with the next shipment on Nov. 1. I picked the Galaxy gray because I don't like the ivory interior. I have the tan interior now in my blue '01 EX coupe and it looks very bad. Some sections are black or gray. It didn't wear well at all. Shows everything.. I don't want to make the same mistake again so I have to get one with the gray interior.

I think I can get them to knock the price down another $100 or so because I 'm still not happy with the price. I want to be able to get it for $1K under sticker. What kind of prices are you guys paying?
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • Options
    manueltrans1manueltrans1 Member Posts: 136
    It turned out the the quote was a lure to get me into the showroom. The Internet Manager refused to confirm the verbal quote over the telephone with a e mail reply.
    When pressed he claimed that the offer has expired. It is now $20310 plus Motor Vehicle Fees and Taxes. I refused to come in. In the New York Metropolitan Tristate Area I find it very hard to locate a Manual Transmission EX with Navi in the 4 door 2006 Sedan. So far most of the dealers want MSRP. A few farther away is willing to cut the destination charges off it, which makes it $19,810. Anyone has gotten a lower price for it? The invoice price for this car is $18,610 including destination charges. When a dealer wants $20310 for a car that the true invoice price after taken in the dealer's kick back from Honda Motors, they are making almost $2258 or 12.3% profit. Is this reasonable? Even if I pay $19810, they are still making $1550 for this car or 8.4%. That is way above the estimate that Japanese car profit margins are. Do you think that this is reasonable? Has anybody gotten a better quote than $19,810 in this area including destination fee, but not taxes and DMV fees? At this price I can get a Honda Accord 2006 4 door Sedan, without the navigation of course.
  • Options
    1. Has anybody bought a 2006 Honda Civic EX 4 door Sedan with Navigation and Manual Transmission in the New York City area? If so how much have you paid?

2. Can anybody explain to me why the configuration Honda Civic 2006 EX 4 door Sedan with Manual Transmissions and Navigation is so hard to get? Why does most dealers just stock the automatic transmission version?
  • Options
    robert40robert40 Member Posts: 1
    You dont have to drive to detroit. I just bought a 2006 Honda Civic LX 4 door Automatic for $17000 in cleveland at Jay honda
  • Options
    should check out the prices at Curry Honda in Yorktown (Westchester county). I 've bought my last 4 Hondas through them, 3 of them from the same internet manager (one was for my sister). I 'm now buying my 4th one through him as well. Just go to www.curryhonda.com and click on 'find my car' or build my car or something like that. Their internet mgr. will write back to you. Actually it will be one or 2 canned messages first. Just reply and he 'll personally respond with prices on all the Civic lines. He always quotes the final price via e-mail.
    According to one of his e-mails, the EX sedan MT with Navi was $19,695 incl. dest. fee. I 'm sure you 'll be able to talk him down a little more.
    I 'm getting an LX MT for $15,995 (my 4th Honda) from this dealer incl. dest. fee. Additional fees are: tax, DMV fee for registering the car (ie:plates), $45 dealer documentation fee which they never negotiate, $10 NYS inspection, and a $12.50 NY State tire recycling fee (a useless no make sense fee that I paid last year for the CRV as well). So the fees are about $120-130. They get you coming and going which is why you must negotiate the price of the car as much as you can.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    phogstenphogsten Member Posts: 3
    It's a 10 year warranty on the interior.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    phogsten,

Since it is clearly not a Honda-brand (no manufacturer sells such a thing), what is the company name of the insurer for this "interior warranty"? What do they claim to be warrantying and how will they fulfill their terms? How long have they been in business? Have you researched them on the Internet, or checked with your Better Business Bureau?

This sounds like a dealer "pack" to increase profit. Can you get your money back?
  • Options
    Harry, Please post the e mail address of this Curry Honda in Yorktown(Westchester County). I am from Brooklyn and this is not that far, although since I junked my 13 year old car I have to take a train. $19,695 incl. dest. fee is a fairly good quote. I think that he may settle for $19,500. I wonder whatever happen to the fact that new Hondas used to command only about $600 above invoice?
    I hope that he has the car on the lot. MT EX 2006 Sedan with Navi is a difficult combination to get. Those who bother to learn the MT and enjoy driving usually go for a coupe or the Si, guys who want Navi are people who do not want to do extra work by shifting themselves. Sad to say but true, automatic transmission is only a thousand dollars more, and some people rather pay more than do some work. Other people never bothered to make the effort in learning how to learn MT. Most dealers I have contacted told me that they have to order the car for me.
    Thanks, Manny
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm going to regret this...but, there are no "kickbacks". There is a holdback that, for the umpteenth time isn't bottom line profit.

Even if a dealer were making a 12.3% profit, is that unreasnoble?

In my former lifes in retail we made 30-40%.

What do YOU think is "reasnoble"...I'm curious.

But, really, none of this matters. Cars sell for what the market dictates. Right now, we literally can't keep the new Civics in stock and it's frustrating!
  • Options
    You 're still around? Wow, haven't seen you on here for a few years ('99-00?) but that's probably because I 've been busy with the Integra thread. Haven't visited the Civic ones too much. Only when it's time to buy a new one :-)

Ok, my brother-in-law was a Honda salesman up until 2yrs ago in PA (he passed away) and was pretty much salesman of the month every month, and salesman of the year. I went to see him at work one day when we were staying over at his house in the Poconos for the wknd. I was chatting with the GM, his boss's boss, and he said that they do get some money from Honda if they sell over a certain amount of cars, and if they hold the prestige award or whatever it's called for best customer satisfaction. Was he full of hot air?
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,301
    only1harry.. Lets just give our friend the dealership name, city and state...

Surely, he can let google be his friend, and take it from there...

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    I've been looking for months and I can't stand it anymore. I'm having a hard time finding a used 2 door/coupe Automatic Civic for around 12,000-13,000. Other than needing an automatic transmission and not wanting ridiculously high mileage, I can't find any. I'm in Rhode Island and I've contacted all the dealers and have given my number to salesmen, been in contact via email, check out the papers and AutoTrader.com.. UGH.

It's even more irritating because to make it worse, I'm seeing a lot of people with used 2 door civics driving around and its driving me nuts! lol. But there are MORE sedans around than Civics.... Should i just give up and get a 4 door? I really really need a car.. this is getting ridiculous now. The places I am seeing 2 doors, aren't reputable dealers and I'm not comfortable with that either. Like a few places are the type to get their cars from auctions that were in accidents.

Other than just liking the style and feeling more comfortable in a 2 door and hearing that it's 2 doors are better for inexperienced drivers for some reason.. That's pretty much the only reason it *has* to be a 2 door. I've never even really test drove a 4 door. But then again when I've gone to the dealers for the 2 doors, there was never any sedans that interested me either.

UGH. :mad:
  • Options
    Two doors are somehow "better" for inexperienced drivers???

Ah...O.K...now, I've REALLY heard it all!
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, that's a new one on me, too....the number of doors has to do with style and utility, and nothing else. Finding a low mileage 2-door automatic will indeed be a challenge; most people don't buy these cars to sell them again in less than a couple of years....
  • Options
    likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    Yeah something about them supposedly being easier to drive. I don't know. I mostly just like the style more.

I thought at least after the 2006's came out more people would want the new style and want to do trade ins. Apparently not. :sick:
  • Options
    Someone was pulling your leg.

Maybe when we get some inventory of 2006's that will happen.

Just know, 2 doors don't sell nearly as well as the sedans. Both new and later when you go to sell it.
  • Options
    massresidentmassresident Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I just purchased the 2006 Honda Civic EX AT with Navigation for $19,339 ($150 below invoice and WELL below MSRP) destination already included - tax title and registration additional. I started looking about a month ago in both the Ann Arbor, MI area and Boston, MA (I live in both places). I don't like to deal with salespeople just because they are so clingy when you walk into a dealership due to the whole commission issue, so I went on the internet and fired off approximately 25 offers to the dealerships in both areas. I was not going to budge on my offer and I didn't have to. No one in the Ann Arbor, MI area would even come close to the deal I received in Cambridge, MA. The internet manager at Cambridge Motors was FABULOUS!!!! She was straight-up with me and didn't waste my time like other dealerships. She gave me a fabulous deal, did not work on commission and she was honest with me the entire time. NO B/S'ing around, which was tremendously appreciated.

Long story short, I absolutely LOVE my car. I picked it up last Friday and it gets UNBELIEVABLE gas mileage so far. It is so fun to drive. I have driven it in the city and on the freeway and in both situations, it runs great!
  • Options
    montognesemontognese Member Posts: 14
    Does anybody know of a dealer that has a 2005 Honda Civic available? I'm looking for something brand new still? Like an LX, EX or either Special Edition, and with or without side airbags. I had one and it was totalled and now I'm looking for another, I much prefer the 2005 body style to the 2006. I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere to find this car. If you know of any dealer's that might have one in stock, let me know. I have a strong preference for a manual transmission.
  • Options
    wiphillyfanwiphillyfan Member Posts: 10
    $500 total out of pocket, 4 year lease on the 2006 Civic LX Sedan. I have 2005 Civic Coupe and I paid $15,700 2 months ago. I owe $15,300 and the dealer would pay it off.

Yes that is correct, I got a coupe 2 months ago and now looking to get the sedan...don't ask :-)

Is this a good deal? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.
  • Options
    khls97khls97 Member Posts: 15
    Hey there,

Would you mind saying what the grand total ended up being? I'm wondering if I can get a 2006 Civic EX AT Coupe with Navi for $20K out the door (TTL incl).

Thanks so much and I am thoroughly jealous. What color did you get? I hope you post pics! :)
  • Options
    I don't understand. You bought an impossible to find, high demand, 2006 Civic for 150.00 less than invoice?
  • Options
    Highly unlikely you will find one of these at this point.
  • Options
    Dear Isell:
    Thank you for your perspective. The 12.3% profit figure is unreasonable from a car buyer's perspective, when comparing to the published statistics of Dealers making 3 to 6 percent on the sale of a new car. Of course, they also can make money on the financing, the trade in, and other add ons that would jack their profit up. Should they get a royal clientele who would also come in for service, they would make other profits. Also selling a car at 6% mark up might make sense if you can do it on volume. Other retailers might have higher profit margins price wise per item. But this is deceiving. One has to take into account the overall picture, including business overhead and expenses. I do not know what the overhead for doing business as a car dealer. One thing I have noticed is that they all live very very well. They should let their clientele live better too. Another thing of course I have noticed is that their salespersons do not live quite as well. This may be a problem of unfair wealth distribution. I do not know if you are a sales person or you are an owner. The 'kickback word' is a less pleasant sounding substitute for the 'holdback word'. But it is worth the same amount of money however you call it. Cars sell for what the market dictates is very true, so is everything else. We are here to debate what the market is dictating though.
    Again thanks for your considered opinion and appreciate your perspective, Manny.
  • Options
    Dear Mass: I am a New York Resident. I am astounded that you get this car for $19,339. The best offer I had so far in the dealers I have dealt with is $19,395 for a manual shift 06 EX Civic 4 door with Navi. And this has not been confirmed yet. I agree that you must deal with someone who does not depend on commission for a living to sell you a car much below MSRP. I was told by a salesperson that they get paid 8% of any price they get above invoce. So it is not worthwhile for them to sell you at any price much lower than MSRP, and if they sell it at invoice they would work for nothing. I have a feeling that Internet Managers might be paid differently, may be they have a salary and they can give you and I a better deal. Please let me know the name and the location of this dealer. For the kind of money saved, it makes sense for a New Yorker to go to Massachusetts to buy a car. Again thanks, Manny
  • Options
    Internet Managers work on commission too. There may be a small salary but they have to produce in order to make any money.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, wouldn't it be harder to sell the EX models with the NAVI option? I mean are there that many people out there willing to spend nearly $20K on a Civic? So far I 've been to 3 dealerships. All of them had EX models with the Navi option in the lot. That's all they had. No DX, no LX (well they did have 1 LX auto), no EX 5sp. coupes or sedans, all they had was Navi EX's. It seems that the $20+K sticker price scares people away. I think these cars sit in the lot longer so it's possible the car he got in Massachussets was one of the first ones they got a month ago and they decided to let it go. Or it could be Cambridge, MA is a very rich town and Hondas don't sell well, but Acura and Lexus do.. I 'm sure there 's an explanation for someone getting an '06 for under invoice.

I hope the car wasn't damaged and repaired (body damage, some flood damage, etc.) which is why they were willing to get rid of it for $150 under invoice. You guys do know that salespeople and test drivers/customers bang up new cars all the time, right?
    In the early '90's before I owned a house, I used to rent and lived 2 blocks from a Mitsubishi dealership. One block down from the dealership was a body shop. Next to the body shop was the deli I used to regulary get breakfast or lunch at. I 'd sit in that Deli and about once a month I 'd watch a new Mitsu drive in to the body shop or get towed there with body damage and other wheel or axle/suspension damage. Eventually I had to visit that body shop myself due to my own fender bender. The owner was giving me an estimate said the car dealership was his best customer! He said sometimes the cars would have less than 5mi. on the odo! So it could be a few things why he paid under invoice (unless he forgot to add the dest. charge..)

If $19.3K was what I wanted to spend on a car, I 'd be seriously looking at an '06 Accord LX for the same price or less (invoice on an Accord LX coupe 5-sp. is $18,895!)

BTW, salespeople make more than just 8% on the amount above invoice.
    Even if a salesperson sold all his new cars at invoice, he 'd still get a minimum of $100 per car. Some dealerships give the salesperson $150 per car, depending on location, brand/manufacturer (like Acura, Lexus, BMW, etc.) and price of the car. My friend gets $150 min. at the Toyota dealership he works at. Most BMW dealers give their salespeople $200 even if the car is sold at invoice. It varies, but don't think salespeople don't make anything because you bought the car at invoice or below. They are not doing charity work.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    Some of the so called "prices paid" may not reflect reality.

And, yes, that 8% above invoice isn't accurate.

Amazing, how rumors get started...
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I bought an LX SE Coupe at the end of Sept, very few of them left then. I saw quite a few VPs though. You might want to try autotrader or ebay and could find a low low mileage used 05.
  • Options
    brupopbrupop Member Posts: 63
    I found 2005 coupes and SI's, many with manual trans, at a few dealerships in the Portland OR area. No Sedans.
    Reply if you'd like specific info.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    isell, while I'm not one to jump on the rumor bandwagon, is it possible for you, someone that's in the sales industry to accurately disclose how salespeople and the dealership make money? This may remove some of the stigma that's associated with the car buying process, and yes I understand there is an"ask the salesperson" forum, which usually turns into a game of slinging snot against the wall.

As far as the 06 Civic is concerned, I'm looking for a new commuter car to replace my 2001 Accord which will be passed "up" to my father (funny, that's not the way it's supposed to work :P ). I initially sent out emails to about six or seven dealers looking for an EX w/navi (flexible with color combinations). Every quote I received was full MSRP (location; CT). I replied to every dealer and got a revised quote $1k under MSRP, so the market for this particular vehicle may be softening earlier then expected, granted it is a higher volume vehicle.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    When your stated application is commuter car? Do you commute to unknown places?
  • Options
    You are correct, wrong forum.

Pay plans vary between stores but the 8% number was way off.

It's hard for dealers to discount product they don't have and can't get.

In my neck of the woods, Civics are almost non-existant. The NAVI cars are EXTREMELY hard to find.
  • Options
    Only1Harry,

Thank you for the inside scoop on the brand new cars on discount in a dealership.
    The bodyshop story is scary. As to where I got the information about 8% above invoice, I got it from corresponding with an Internet Manager in a Honda Dealership in the New York City area. He clearly stated that 8% above invoice as his commission. He also stated in his e mail to me that the hold back is untouchable by him. The holdback is for the Boss of the Dealership only, and is non-nogotiable.
    And by the way 06 EX with Navi and Auto Transmission is easier to sport on the showroom than 06 EX with Navi and Manual Transmission in the New York City area. In Oregon and the west it might be a different story. Here there are a lot of lazy people and too many redlights. The lazy people I refer to are those who never bothered to learn the manual transmission. And if they know they do not want to move both their legs and their right arm too. By the way, in the New York City area, I had to search for a driving school that teaches the manual shift. Also the other day I tried to park my Manual Transmission car in a Catering Place and the car jocky could not drive the car. Sad, but it was true.
    Thanks, I am learning a lot. Manny
  • Options
    funtaifuntai Member Posts: 6
    How much are '05 Civic Sis going for? I'd expect the price to be low, considering the big change from the '05 to the '06 model, but my local dealer is quoting me a price above invoice.
  • Options
    It's not so much laziness. I'm very good with a stick but I know I wouldn't want one with the traffic we have around here. They are a PITA when creeping along in traffic. Also in areas with lots of hills like we have here, they are a pain.

Hard to resell down the road too since few people want them!
  • Options
    briandwestphalbriandwestphal Member Posts: 3
    After searching and comparing, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla and 05 Civic's for nearly a year, I found the car for me when the 06 Civic came out. I feel I've done more than my share of research, and am confident I made a good decision. Even though the 06 is scarce now because of it's recent release, I actually found a dealer in the Kansas City area that gave a decent break from the MSRP. I also got them to knock off some $ from the added accessories that I wanted: (rear deck spoiler, mud guards, all-season floor maps, trunk tray). I also got the Galaxy grey color and agree with all of the posts that the tan interior color doesn't look that great. The grey interior is the way to go in my opinion. I can't wait to drive it home in less than 2 days! Xmas comes early this year! :)
  • Options
    Congrats on your new Purchase brian! I am also getting a Galaxy Gray but an LX coupe 5sp. Should be in 10/31 or Nov.1. I 'm still iffy about that color because I really wanted the black but I can't stand that ivory interior. I 'm not particularly cautious or very clean with my cars and that spells BIG trouble for a light interior. Gray "hides" some things :) Just look at my current '01 Blue EX with the Tan interior. It looks brownish-gray now! :) Maybe Honda thinks they are simulating the ivory interior of Porsches, Mercedes and Ferraris that I see when I go racing, except you don't see anything plastic in those other cars, They're all full of leather, wood, and a little cloth.

Manny & everyone else:
    Most salespeople get 20-25% of anything above invoice. Sources: A good friend of mine who is the General Manager at a large Ford Dealership in NY, the big boss, and answers only to the owner (actually 2 owners). My brother-in-law who was a salesman at a Honda dealership in PA for a few years.

There is no way that this particular Internet Mgr. is working on 8% commission of the profits over invoice. You heard it from another salesperson as well (isellhondas). Unless this guy is very disliked at his work place or decided to give himself a big paycut to keep his job, he was not straight with you.

It is true that the holdback is for the dealer/owner. It goes towards paying the bills, salaries, insurance, etc. It usually has nothing to do with the salesperson but if you think about it, that's where the salesperson's commission comes from when he/she sells a car at invoice. Like I said earlier, most salesmen make a minimum $100-150/car whether they sell it for $1 over invoice, for invoice, or under invoice.

Then the business manager (or some call them finance mgr.) makes commission on the financing (from the interest you pay on the loan), from any optional equipment he convinces you to purchase, and commission on the extended warranty which he will insist you must buy because the tranny or motor will blow up if you don't! hehe, just close your ears, and keep saying NO to him/her :D
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    torr310torr310 Member Posts: 41
    I only know you will paid more $$ on insurance for a coupe. LOL~