Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• windycity2windycity2 Member Posts: 17
    Great Price. Prices for these cars falling much faster than expected. I got 2 quotes for 06 LX AT sedan for $16600 and $16800 respectively in chicago area. Also I noticed that almost all dealers have couple of them in stock.

Looks like by year end they will start selling for invoice price. I still think though it has several safety features, these are overpriced. Mileage alone can't justify a Civic purchase when one can get an Accord for extra $2k.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I really like the new Civic, too (though I'm not in love with the dash, it's more than a bit fussy), but at almost $20k for an EX, the Accord for almost the same price (and only slightly worse mileage) looks pretty good, and the Corolla at probably $4k less comprably equipped does, too.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    No real logical reason. I am a car nut of sorts. I was able to buy for $30,900 or so and sell privately six months later for $29,200....I love Honda Acura resale.
    I do not loose that much money. If you drive a TL for 8 years or 120,000 miles then cost is $4000 per year or $333 per month. Anyhow, I have found that if one buys a good Honda Acura product for decent price early in model year, one can drive most of the model year and sell just before next model year for surprisingly good price. In OK tax is 3%. Many other states would be much much worse.

Plus I never have to buy tires, batteries or pay for repairs. But definitely cheaper to keep a car for life but what fun is that?
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    Don Carlton, I bought at MR 5 times past but I no not like new ownership. They ripped me last fall on 05 Odyssey and got greedy. $1000 discount and I referred over 20 souls to them over the years ($50 referrals) I am not surprised they sent her north. I bought 3 cars at DCH and 4 Acuras at their acura store so they did not send me hiking. Why? repeat repeat customer. But average person rarely buys a car and why sell at $400 over invoice when they can get much more from the uneducated consumers in Tulsa. What you heard sounds unprofessional. Joe marina more civilized.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    thanks for the reply....
    I have seen some of your posts over at the TL forum....you sound like me...Honda...Acura type of person.....
    Plus I know exactly how you feel about changing cars allot and being a car nut...ditto for me as well....although my better half thinks I'm loco....
    How is your new Civic? How abot those MPG?
    Thanks
  • jfreshjfresh Member Posts: 4
    Anyone from Detroit, Michigan in here who own a 2k6 civic? If so, how did you make out?

Currently I have a dealer who *may* be able to cut me $500 below the sticker and also give me extended warranty for free (60 months/100,000 miles). I'm looking at getting the EX trim w/o sat. navigation.

Thanks!
    For anyone who's considering a factory installed GPS unit consider this:

1. The updates are only going to come so long as they decide to continue them. If you're leasing that's fine but if you're buying there's no guarantee that 5+ years down the road they'll still be updating this particular unit. Other companies like Garmin and iWay use companies that do nothing but create the maps. Thus it's a much safer bet that they'll continue to be updated.

2. The option is a lot more money for a lot less features. The civic, for example, charges $1500 for the GPS unit. In comparison, I was able to find the Lowrance iWay 500c for $670. I was also able to find the Garmin 2720 for $830. The Garmin unit also checks traffic reports and will automatically reroute you if traffic happens to be bad on the route you're on. Both have received Editor's Choice awards from CNet and got rave reviews on gpsinformation.net .

The only advantage that I can see to getting this is that you get a unit that is a part of the car and is maintained by the dealer. Other than that it's not worth it.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Other advantages - at least to some people - of the built in units that you do not mention are:

1. Cool factor - having the color screen built in to the dash changes the appearance of the whole interior, most would say for the better

2. Less chance of theft/break in - portable units are a tempting, easy target when left in plain view mounted on the dash

3. Bigger screen size

4. Faster response times (although I have not tried Garman's 2620, which I understand is supposed to be very good)

Besides what you mention, also In the portable's favor is that routes and sidetrips can be planned/mapped via computer in advance, and easily transferred to the unit. And of course you can easily move it to different vehicles and spare the expense of buying one for each vehicle you buy/lease.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    jfresh,

You wrote: "The updates are only going to come so long as they decide to continue them.... there's no guarantee that 5+ years down the road they'll still be updating this particular unit."

You are apparenly unaware of how Honda's / Acura's two-way voice controlled Navigation systems are updated. There are NO hardware updates made. Honda doesn't produce either the hardware or software. The hardware is manufactured by the electronics giant, Alpine, using navigation software from NAVTEQ (formerly named Navigation Technologies), possibly the major player in that field.

The only update one might want to purchase is the single DVD that contains all of the data for both the US and Canada. It goes into the trunk-mounted unit in my 2004 Accord and I believe behind the navigation screen in the 2006 Civic. There is an annual update available for about $185 per DVD. Unless you feel compelled to spend the money, you would probably not find any need to make such a purchase at all.

https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Hondadvdsales/naviorder.php

http://www.navteq.com/

https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/ha.header?p_make=Honda

If you like all kinds of wires and mounting brackets cluttering your dashboard and forward vision, and you don't want the incredible convenience and safety of controlling your navigation system, audio system and climate control system by your spoken voice, then the aftermarket hang-on units are for you.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    No dis-respect intended, but I'm having a very hard time believing those numbers. Most are paying MSRP, though a few have recently reported getting a few hundred below MSRP.

What kind of ext. warranty? 3rd party or Honda warranty? If it's a Honda ext. warranty, you're probably about $1500 UNDER sticker.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I really like the new Civic, too (though I'm not in love with the dash, it's more than a bit fussy), but at almost $20k for an EX, the Accord for almost the same price (and only slightly worse mileage) looks pretty good, and the Corolla at probably $4k less comprably equipped does, too.

Have you driven a Corolla yet? As I mentioned in another forum- it's the automotive equivalent of novocaine. Sturdy as an anvil, but boring (like it's Camry big brother).

Civics selling at MSRP do make the Accord a compelling alternative. I'm considering the Accord VP manual model which has been offered to me at $17,250. Lot of car for the money.
    Something else to think about with factory-installed navigation-

Most navigation systems integrate many of the stereo and HVAC control into the nav screen. Personally, I find this very inconvenient and not intuitive. Granted, I've not owned a car with nav, but have driven at length in two friends' cars that do have nav. Unless I traveled extensively, I wouldn't purchase it.

Mazda and some high-end carmakers have pop-up nav screens that are recessed in the dash until they're needed. These cars have all HVAC and stereo controls intact, which I like.

I have to give Honda credit, though- they made the Civic system cheaper than most any other one. As a result, I'm sure they'll sell a lot of them.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I agree with this, although with the primary audio controls on the steering wheel, the inconvenience of having to go through the Nav screen isn't quite so bad. I have not sat in the Civic, but doesn't it have separate HVAC controls apart from having to use the Nav? If not this would be an inconvenience, even though once adjusted I don't usually play with the temp and fan that much. Would be a major pain, though, if you had a sudden window fogging problem, which on occasion will happen during wet & cold winter days.

My wife's RX330 has separate audio and HVAC controls, so on her's and many other cars it's not an issue.
  • inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    I am happy to report 400 miles on first tank and exactly 10 gallons of $2.71 gas.
    That is as advertised and I believe the new civic auto will be noted as the best mileage gasline car available today. Formerly, Mazda 3 5 speed 2.0 had that distinction but the Civic will beat it. If I can commute and drive around for 40 mpg what point is extra cost hybrid with complex electronics?

Anyhow, as I mentioned I sold a 05 TL and I sit in this civic and can only think that for an economy car how upscale it feels. I have white with ivory with bronze tinted windows, gold pinstripe, the $50 leather Honda steering wheel cover which is high quality but a 2 hour project to sew on, splash guards and half bra. HOnda Acura world is parts source. Do my own pin striping. The car just feels very high end.
    The 5 speed auto is very flexible and has great pick up. I would like to know the official 0-60.

I wanted a 5 speed but rpm just too high on cruise. The auto goes at 2000 rpm at 62 mph, the manual 2800 as I recall--someone can verify. Well all that busy rpm uses fuel that could be saved with a 6 speed manual with real OD, the TSX needs the same feature. I digress.

Overall, the Civic is a high resale, high mileage car that will have distinction of best performing, higher MPG car available for the money. the freaky dash just makes the space seem more and never closed in. The one touch sunroof just is unheard of in a car of this price. Even Accord and all other HOndas for that matter lack it!

The EX is well worth the money for sunroof, alloys, stainless steel tips exhaust, rear arm rest, truck remote on fob, better sound system and security system (or does LX have that-LX have intermittent wipers)?
    What $1500 in real world difference since mark up higher on EX. You should get most of that back in resale.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    There is a forum for this:

Honda Civic / Civic Si 2006+

Please stick to pricing discussions in this forum.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

In that case I sit corrected. I was unaware that Alpine made the unit and that they use NAVTEQ maps. The dealers I talked to did not know too much about the GPS units. And my apologies for sounding confusing but the updates I was referring to were indeed the software updates.

From what research I've done, the Navteq maps are the best around. However, even with the voice control, I still wonder how well it works. My cell phone, for example, can be controlled by voice and unless I articulate very clearly it will not understand what I say (yes I have trained the phone to my voice). And even when I do it still will get what I said wrong at least 50% of the time. Have you used this nav unit in the civic? If so, how well does it recognize your voice?

If you've used it and can report that it makes very few mistakes (say, less than 5% of the time it doesn't understand you) then perhaps it is a viable albeit expensive option. But a GPS Unit is not something I'd want to be messing with while driving down the road because the unit incorrectly thought I said I-275 when I really said I-75.

Also, it doesn't take all that much in the way of mounting brackets or cables. The major units all offer a way to place it on your dash and weight it down so it won't go anywhere, and the only cable you need (if any) is one to go from the unit to your power adapter/cigarette lighter.

If you like paying several hundred dollars more for a GPS unit with a limited feature set and is not transferable to any other vehicle you own (or may own) then the OEM units are for you.
    No disrepect taken. The dealership I got this offer from is Troy Honda in Troy Michigan. The dealer told me about having at least 5 of these cerrtified mechanics and that is why they were given the green light to offer the Honda extended warranty at no charge. The correllary is that I have to get all the maintenance done at that Honda dealership. Currently an oil change is around $30 (that's the total price with all expenses included). Also if my car needs work in another state then I can take it to a different Honda dealership without voiding the warranty but if I were to get an oil change at a different place (say, Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe or something) then the warranty is null and void.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    jfresh,

I can't speak for the 2006 Civic's Navigation System. By the way, it's not called a GPS. GPS = Global Positioning Satellite. A navigation system navigates on the ground by using inputs from those satellites.

My experience is with the Navigation System in my 2004 Accord. It works very well indeed. Unlike your cell phone, the integrated voice control system does not have to recognize any particular individual's voice. As long as I, or my wife, or others speak clearly, the system is amazingly accurate in recognizing our voice commands. The only caveat is that if there is too much background noise (open sunroof, heavy rain or hail on the windshield, high fan speed, others gabbing in the back seat) you will be asked to repeat your command or you may get an incorrect response. I'd say that might occur about 10% of the time.

If you want the most out of the system, it requires that you use the appropriate voice commands, but it is still somewhat flexible. For example, when I want to have the system perform a certain action, I press a button on my steering wheel. That mutes the radio and accepts my voice command before verbally confirming that command. If I don't like that confirmation I just repeat the sequence.

For example, if I want to change a radio station, I can say:

XM channel one hundred thirty OR Channel one hundred thirty either works to get me to XM channel 130.

Radio ninety three point nine FM OR Radio ninety three point nine will both get me to 93.9 FM.

The verbal command Go home gets the Navigation System to plot a course to my house. I also control the climate control system in the same manner, such as saying Temperature seventy one degrees OR Fan speed two.

Since the 2006 Civic is a bit newer, I presume that it is even more capable in following such voice commands.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Just for everyones information.....Recieved an e-mail from Costco, asking me my experience with the purchase of the Honda Civic EX that I was requesting....Told them that the Honda Costco rep did not deal, was somewhat rude or a care less attitude, in that they don't ever have to deal, since all are now paying MSRP. Told the Costco reply site that Auto Way Honda in Clearwater, Florida should be taken off their list of preferred dealerships that suppose to give something like a deal, even if it were a small one. Told Costco that having this membership with them was Useless for me at this time.....

Glad to hear that others are getting some deals on the new Civic...Good luck
  • arinmiamiarinmiami Member Posts: 2
    Well all took the car out of the Honda of Key Largo lot on Sat. Man what a pleasant experience. For those that live anywhere in Florida, I found out from the sales person that they will deliver the car anywhere in Florida at no additional charge. Those guys there are very nice to deal with and they do not seem to play the other games that dealerships are playing. I think that anyone that contacts them can probably get the car a little under MSRP and not pay all those exhorbarant dealer fees (theirs are about $350 instead of the $500 at other dealerships). And also they are willing to negotiate a little on the price. It is a small little place, but a much better experience than those in the big city.
  • mendota99mendota99 Member Posts: 18
    Hi, I commute 170 miles per day on flat terrain. I like my job and I can't move. At 53 years old I like a little comfort but the difference in gas mileage is very real. I have never owned either car but I have test driven both cars for short periods of time. I would appreciate suggestions. Thank you.
    If you find the Civic comfortable, you'll save money on the purchase as well as fuel economy. I've owned eight Hondas and they've all been exceptionally reliable. They're just fantastic cars.

The Accord has a little more room and more power, but the Civic is plenty adequate for highway driving. I'd go for the Civic.
  • fearstfearst Member Posts: 2
    I am living in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC and trying to decide between 3 models. 06 accord lx-special edition, 06 accord ex, and/or 06 civic ex. just wondering if anyone out there can inform me of the going price quotes they have been able to get anywhere in NC on these models?
    Can't comment on specific NC market prices, but if you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest checking Edmunds TMV, kbb.com and carsdirect.com for "real" prices. I'd also email EVERY dealer within reasonable distance from you for a quote on all three models.

Honestly, I think the Accord LX SE is currently the best deal. I was looking at market values of the Accord for someone else last week and the SE was about $1900 cheaper than the EX and looks identical. The only major difference is the sunroof (EX has, SE doesn't).

Of course, for a little less than the LX SE you can get the Civic EX. Great car, better MPG, but also less power and smaller. Depends on what matters the most to you.
  • imtheishimtheish Member Posts: 7
    Hey there all =]

I just got a quote back from O'Donnell Honda in Baltimore for a EX with Nav as follows:

From your inquiry, I understand you are interested in the 2006 Honda, Civic EX Coupe with navigation. Our Internet price on this vehicle is $20,017 plus $99 processing fee, any options, freight, taxes and tags. Our price is good for 7 days.

Offer not valid with any other discounts, coupons or promotions. Prices are not valid on leased vehicles.

HUH? :confuse: What am I missing here? Are they flat out saying that I CANNOT negotiate the price of the vehicle PERIOD? Or that maybe you cannot negotiate the price when you lease through Honda?

I've always understood that you negotiate the price as if you are going to buy the car, and then hit them with your plan to lease...

Has anyone else seen this?

(and FYI, they have not found a buyer on this quote - no way near with $1k over invoice)
  • khls97khls97 Member Posts: 15
    That is a sucky reply. :(

I hope I don't get similar ones. Maybe it is negotiable, but they're trying to act like it's not, with hopes that someone will say OK. I went to a dealership tonight, and I was quoted $21,100 for the Honda Civic EX Couple AT with Navigation. They told me that it wasn't negotiable due to the fact that it was "such a hot car." If it is so hot, then why aren't they all gone? :) Dealers are jerky sometimes.. I say keep looking. I'll wait if I have to, but I am not paying anything above $19500.
  • jrister24jrister24 Member Posts: 4
    The following are excerpts from some email I received from local dealers:

First off, I don't have anywhere near enough Civic's on the ground to be steeply discounting them right at this moment. Secondly, I don' t have but just a few coming in for the next couple of months. I don't know why the last 2 allocations were very short on 2006 Civic's. But I believe that if I had 100 of them on the ground right at this moment I could sell everyone of them at nearly list price.

I have received your request for information on the 2006 Civic EX Sedan. We have just received several of these today. The EX is priced at $20407.00 with the deal installed accessories. I would be glad to show you one of these vehicles, but I must tell you that you should act quickly if you are wanting one. These cars do not last long once they come in. We sell them usually within 24-48 hours of receipt. .

With both the Civic and the Accord selling as soon as they come in, at sticker price, he feels that it would not be in the dealership's best interest to do so. And to be honest, I have not seen anyone pay less than sticker for any of the new Civics or Accords as of yet.

I contacted Mark Roberts and he was very receptive to working with me. Has anyone else had an experience buying from Roberts when you live very far away. I am looking at flying in and driving 700 miles home. Is it worth it?
  • fearstfearst Member Posts: 2
    Thanks allfiredup.....I have actually been doing my homework, and have checked two of those three sites. I got the quotes from one dealer, but waiting on several others! Right now I am leaning towards the SE.
    Hi there,

I'm interested in buying a Rallye Red 2006 Civic EX when they come out. I would like the navigation system. I'm wondering, what are some prices that people paid in this area? Please e-mail me with info.

Thanks!

:)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    khls97.. I believe that before you said you were in the Chicago area?

Hopefully, we'll get reports right here in the forums... no need for e-mail.. Just keep checking here... :)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    "Hi, I commute 170 miles per day on flat terrain. I like my job and I can't move. At 53 years old I like a little comfort but the difference in gas mileage is very real. I have never owned either car but I have test driven both cars for short periods of time. I would appreciate suggestions. Thank you. "

You commute 45,000 miles per year

(170miles per day x 22 days mo x 12 mo =44,880).

I actually would chose a VW Jetta TDI EPA of 42/49 mpg. The range is between 44-62 mpg. (At 47 mpg avg/45,000= 957 gals)

Since we are on a Civic thread, all bells and whistles aside, I would chose the Civic. My 2004 Civic VP seems to get 36-41 mpg. . (At 37 mpg avg/45,000=1216 gals) Your mileage would indicate a concern for the logistics involved.

Truly you can run 10k oci's with conventional oil with great results. After break in, I would run 10,000 OCI's with synthetic oil: such as Mobil One 5w20. Since you have highway miles, which are the easiest on, most systems and specifically on oil, I would run up to 15-20 k OCI's, again using Mobil One 5w20 synthetic. .

In addiition you will go through tires, brake pads and shoes, brake rotors/drums, faster than most folks. All of the above seems to be cheaper to replace than other makes. So for example: 1. the engine uses 3.2 to 3.4 quarts of oil 2. oil filter every other oil change at 20,000 miles 3. 250 dollars installed for a premium touring tire such as Toyo Ultra 800 (700UTOQ) , 100k mile guarantee) is very do able.

At the 100k mark or in your case app 2 years and 2 months, you are due a plug change. You are also due a 100k (or so) timing belt change and water pump change. Water pump changes are only recommended at this interval because you have to do EXACTLY the same procedures (two times or twice) to change EACH one out. So if you have a water pump leak, you will have to do the procedure twice and if the pump leak damages the timing belt, that would dictate a third procedure or second timing belt. Plugs are app 25 dollars for 4, The going rate for timing belt and water pump change is 425 to 550.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    Give it 3-4 months and you'll be able to pick up a new '06 Civic at close to invoice. Folks don't forget that this is a mass produced car and will be widely available despite the seemingly limited availability right now.

It was the same way when the Mazda 3 came out last year. New car + hot commodity = dealers take advantage.

If you can wait to buy it should payoff.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "Close to invoice"? I don't think so.

It's very frustrating to have such high demand and low supply at the same time.

It's not "seemingly limited" availability right now. It's real.

Hopefully we will start getting some cars!
    One more thing, just to reassure you if you have any concern about racking up so many miles- I bought a Civic LX 5-speed new in 1993 and accumulated 177k miles over 3.5 years commuting to a college 60 miles each way from my home and delivering pizza (to help pay for said college). Other than the recommended services, the only thing I ever did was replace the clutch twice (pizza delivery is hard on a clutch) and a thermostat. I think you'll find the new one just as reliable. I'm sure you'll top 200k without incident.
  • imtheishimtheish Member Posts: 7
    ok - isellhondas..

can you explain the lease conundrum?
  • penfanpenfan Member Posts: 1
    Last night I purchased my 2006 civic ex AT/navi :) for $21,000 including the $550 handling "no I am not discounting this fee set in stone" charge. This car is a blast to drive and has too many cool features that you probably already know about. I traded in my 2002 lx civic, this will be my third civic in the last 9 years. Why pay a little under MRSP??
    I decided to bite the bullet due to my many conversations with the 5 different internet salespersons at 5 different dealerships in the past month and just buy it since they only had the one, the other civic was a lx, both just off the truck and not even prepped yet. While I was sitting at the dealership painfully waiting for the paperwork process to materialize 3 buyers came in to see the car I was buying, 2 inquiries about when the SI is going to be available and a hybrid buyer.
    DO not think there is going to be a time in the near future when the cars are going to be sold for a little over invoice, heck there are not enough cars to fill demand now and with the gas prices??? The dx style is not going to be available until early next year from what I was told. The salesperson I was talking to last night indicated that there could be a possible price hike next year since Honda is not making money on the civic due to all the computer chips and technology. Maybe it is correct or maybe a bunch of bull. I have no regrets, sounds silly to be jazzed over a car, and a civic at that.... but this is a fun car to drive...hope this helps
  • mendota99mendota99 Member Posts: 18
    Hi ruking1,

Thank you for the in depth analysis. I'm leaning towards a Civic as the difference in gas mileage over the years will add up.
    Thanks for all the replys. Mike
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Sure, happy to help. On the off chance you commute in the Rocky Mountains :) , to me it would be a toss up between the (Civic) Accord, TDI.

The TDI really runs like a mountain goat through the Rockies. On one trip I have run from Moab Ut, down to Las Vegas NV and have gotten 48 mpg!!?? I am directly comparing it to a 2001 Corvette Z06, that I have also had the pleasure of running through the Rocky's :) I have not run the Civic through the Rocky's.However being a gasser, I am sure altitude will rob some significant power from the Civic. But have done long distance runs of 750 miles in a day, Santa Barbara to San Jose CA and return in a day and a 1500 mile R/T from San Jose, to Portland Oregon and return. So unless you are running at altitude, the Civic is quite civil at highway speeds. The real secret is it does not take much hp to cruise at 65-85 mph. So 85-90 mph yields app 37 mpg. So if you wish better than that, a leisurely 65 will probably push that mpg figure closer to 41 mpg. This is with an automatic transmission to boot?!!!
    "The salesperson I was talking to last night indicated that there could be a possible price hike next year since Honda is not making money on the civic due to all the computer chips and technology."

Salespeople will say ANYTHING to make a sale. 90% of them are fairly ignorant of the product they're selling and are generally not the sharpest tools in the shed overall. There are a few intelligent ones out there with great product knowledge, but they're few and far between. I've often told them things they didn't know about the car they were trying to sell.

Honda would not price a car at a loss nor would the engineer a car past their target price. They're pros at this.

Glad you enjoy your car so much. I love the excitement of a new car...makes me feel like a kid at Christmas. Enjoy!
    Hi,

Congrats on your new purchase? Post pictures so we all can envy you! :) Good luck!
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    I just bought an EX Auto Sedan with Navi -- Galaxy Gray. I paid MSRP for the car. I asked for $200 off and the dealer would have let me walk out with no sale.

If you want a Sedan with Navi, depending on your color, you might be waiting a few months. White and Shoreline Mist will not start coming off the line until November.

I live in the Philadelphia Area.
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    My car is being made this week and will be here first or second week in November.
    " lease conundrum"

???
    What a goofy salesperson!

Of course Honda is making money on Civics!
    Same here mam262...Tried below MSRP numerous times at four dealerships and a no go, so I did a bad thing and purchased the coupe EX with NAV at MSRP and the only thing they threw in was the splash guards and tinting. Real big of them, but I did not want to wait any longer. I'll feel like a fool for awhile, than I'll get over it.....Good luck with your purchase...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The tone of some of these messages seems to indicate a fundamental misunderstanding of how the free market works. Supply.....demand....

In regards to supply, you REALLY need to get a grip. The car has been out, what, less than a month? The Ohio plant just got rolling with the new Civic - many cars are still coming from Japan. It may be weeks or months before every dealer has something like the kind of Civic inventory that makes the local market balance. In the meantime, you get the anomalies indicated in this forum: some dealers have the car you want, and some don't, and some have more than enough, and some [many] don't. If you REALLY have to have this car right now, then it costs what it costs.

Perhaps American Honda underestimated how long it would take to really fill the pipeline, but more likely, underestimated how much more popular this car would be at launch the the previous-gen Civic - the new one is a better car, with all of the safety features standard, and at a time when the market is hot for anything that gets decent fuel consumption. In any case, the launch went forward, and it will be some time before the dealer body gets all the cars it can sell.

For myself, what strikes me about the new Civic, without having driven one yet, is what a raging value it can be if you exercise some restraint and common sense. I expect an LX automatic sedan will be a $16.5-$16.8k item before the end of the year. It would get, in my hands, an honest 35 mpg or more in daily use, and 40+ on long trips. A Prius, with admittedly more room and the usefulness of the hatch, would run an minimum of $23-$24k, less about $3k for the tax credit after Jan 1. The difference in fuel consumption in my kind of use would never make up that difference, and the Civic will be a commodity car by the time I go shopping early next year. The new transmission and extra refinement of the new car seem like real deal-makers.

If price is paramount, you really have to exercise some patience. If you have to have it now, then local market conditions prevail, as always. If Isell can't get enough cars in Seattle [with most of the current inventory coming from Japan] you can bet it's going to be awhile before things settle down. In the meantime, complaining about prices is .... well .... silly.
    What some people don't seem to understand is the fact that Honda prices their cars very fairly. They don't pad the MSRP's and a new Civic at MSRP is a great value!

Seriously, if a person is really going to "feel like a fool", they shouldn't buy the car!
    What some people don't seem to understand is the fact that Honda prices their cars very fairly. They don't pad the MSRP's and a new Civic at MSRP is a great value!

Seriously, if a person is really going to "feel like a fool", they shouldn't buy the car!
    ---------------------------------------------

All those, including me ( No choice in waiting ), that paid MSRP, than later this price goes way down, then that remark that " A new Civic at MSRP is a great value", is laughable. What would you say then when the price goes about 400 above invoice, " Its a steal, and those that bought at MSRP were taken for a ride ? " No, its not a great value, just supply and demand tactics. Great value comes in just a few hundred above invoice. Long time waiting for that one, and some cannot wait.....

Just like when people buy computers, that are top of the line at a high price, than soon after, the price is reduced. I feel bad about that also, but can live with it. So I sold the SUV, and purchased a more gas saving vehicle, and that is the good positive decision, but paying more now, bothers me a little, but will get over it.....If you can wait, than do so, but for others, good luck in the new purchase...
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " The salesperson I was talking to last night indicated that there could be a possible price hike next year since Honda is not making money on the civic due to all the computer chips and technology. "

LMAO.....That salesman is a poor excuse for a salesman. Glad you like your new Civic.
    Well, actually you had a choice. You could have bought something else instead.

I don't like it if I have a customer who leaves unhappy. I would rather not sell them a car.

Sorry, but a Civic at MSRP is a great value. If you can buy one for less, then it's a better value.

You shouldn't feel like a fool. That's all I was trying to say.