There's an early thread here (the update is a few days after this post):

tinman08 Feb 2, 2002 6:19pm

A more recent thread starts here:

mobilmac Sep 28, 2002 11:02pm

Steve, Host
  • Options
    minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Hello,
    In section 6-18 of the Owners Manual it states that "the specified tightening torque is 65-87 ft. lb. (88-118 Nm)".
    Also, the Kia section in the November popular Mechanics that exsedona1 mentioned is actually a "Special Advertising Section" paid for by Kia. It was still good to read more about the Sedona however.

MVFrank.
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    steve_host, I used the advanced search tool to find topics whose messages contained phrases that I searched for, but the resulting link provided by the advanced search tool pointed me only to the topic, not to the specific message #. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    That seems to be a pretty wide range. On our other 2 vehicles, the shop manuals specify a particular torque, not a range. With such a wide range for Sedona (65-87 lb-ft), I'd say "pretty tight but not too tight" should be just fine.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, it's a bit confusing.

The best results come when you know what board the post is in that you are searching for. Then you go there and search the discussion body text in that discussion.

The title search is ok for finding the boards where pertinent posts are, but the real help comes when you limit the search to a single discussion.

Keep experimenting! And expect some fine tuning of the search options as the weeks go by.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Thank you!
  • Options
    jondotjondot Member Posts: 63
    Steve, I appreciate your info in post 2502. I'm off to see the dealer about the windshield. Will let you all know the results.
  • Options
    dafuowndafuown Member Posts: 11
    I have a Villager since 1993 when it was first introduced. I am shopping for a new van to replace it. Going through all the models on the market (so many more than 1993) I realize Sedona is about 1000 lb heavier than my Villager. The larger Odyssey is only 4300 lb while the average vans is about 4000 lb. I notice Sedona has excellent crushing test results. But this is like driving other vans that are loaded with four 200 lb passenger (you don't do this very often) constantly. Does this make sense? If is doesn't, why Kia makes it so heavy (the 2003 is even 100 lb heavier than 2002) knowing that it hurts milage, handling, and everything else....... Can someone tell me? This seems to be against the design principle of lighter but stronger approach.
  • Options
    erikkleinerikklein Member Posts: 50
    Sorry, but I couldn't resist taking advantage of your typo ...

... maybe the extra 1000 lbs in the Sedona was the reason why it "has excellent *crushing* test results"!!
  • Options
    The weight takes a toll on the EPA mileage ratings - 15/20. Hard to complain about the crash test scores though. Not sure why the weight has to be that high since lighter cars can engineer good crash ratings.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    exsedona1exsedona1 Member Posts: 14
    The sedona gets it's extra weight from it's steel undercarriage. Hence one of the reasons it doesn't crumple up like a beer can on impact and gets the 5 star rating. The only downside to not using alloys is eventual rust here in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    dafuowndafuown Member Posts: 11
    I know it has a steel undercarriage that makes it heavy. Heavy car does not necessarily mean stronger or safer car. The heavier the weight, the greater the impact energy and, therefore, the greater potential damage that requires even heavier protection.... It is all in the design. Remember, each of them has to be shipped over. Heavy weight just does not make sense. Korea's car design is really catching up (especially in styling and details). I just don't see how Kia can miss this unless this is the key reason that they are much cheaper than other makers while make excellent crush test results (then why the bumper test was bad??). All Kia (Hyundai too) products are heavier than their peers. I can't believe that other makers use more expansive alloy steel while knowing that it does not improve crush test result. Sedona's weight is not just above average, it is way above there.
  • Options
    The service manager inspected the glass and said they would replace the windshield under the warranty. They are ordering a Kia part and not an aftermarket glass. It's going to take about a week to get the part. Hope it's the new improved version!
  • Options
    Sedona IS much heavier than most other minivans. Kia has not done this "on purpose." I always thought it took better engineering, and greater cost, to manufacture a vehicle that is lighter. Many of the improvements or advancements you read about in automotive publications point out 'the new suspension is 45 pounds lighter than the previous one.' With these improvements come research and development costs, as well as sometimes higher part costs.

I like our Sedona a lot; my impression is it's so heavy for 2 primary reasons: 1) Kia included some heavier-duty, albeit lower-tech, characteristics vs. other minivans; 2) Kia is not an expert in developing a minivan with the lowest possible weight.

If Kia could have made the Sedona 4,000 pounds at a cost the same as it was to make Sedona 4,700 pounds, I'm sure they would have. My preference would be for Sedona to be 4,000 pounds instead of 4,700, but I still like Sedona at 4,700 pounds. The EPA fuel economy ratings seem to be overly conservative - most people are doing much better than 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. Poorer handling is the only other drawback I can think of due to excess weight. And our Sedona seems to handle just fine.

It sure seems to me that the heavy weight contributes to the Sedona's good crash test ratings.
  • Options
    jcrider2jcrider2 Member Posts: 46
    I think you would be better off to stay on the high side of the torque value for the wheels. Alloy wheels are very expensive to replace if the torque is to low and the wheel starts working on the lugs elongating the hole. My last car [Buick] with Alloy wheels used a torque of 100 ft lbs.
  • Options
    sisu145sisu145 Member Posts: 22
    Just turned 12,000 miles. Taking it in for oil change, cold start hesitation, ash tray cover. Anything else I should have them look at? Van has been great!!!! Wife loves it. Best acceleration of any van I've driven in the last 5 years.
  • Options
    1) The A/C cooling fan hum for which a TSB has been issued; but, it may not apply to you. Turn on the A/C, you'll hear it, or you won't.

2) Grounding plate replacement for the keyless entry receiver. As posted earlier by ???, supposedly extends the range of the transmitter to much more than the 10' I get.

(And if you only have one remote, and are feeling adventurous, see about having them get you a remote system that supports two remotes? Let us know what happens if you do.)
  • Options
    stockeystockey Member Posts: 40
    Don't forget that the crash tests are made on ciment wall,no car is as strong as a ciment wall,crash a sedona in a honda civic,i will bet the sedona will be in a much better shape than the civic.
  • Options
    Construction barriers are made of reinforced concrete. It's not inconceivable to have a head on with a stationary object, including a concrete barrier.
  • Options
    soon2bkiaownersoon2bkiaowner Member Posts: 6
    I have decided to purchase a new top of the line Sedona in 2 weeks. Does anybody have any advice for me?? What should I look for with the Dealer?? I have read the messages on the bad ones. But only a couple of people saying what the problems were with the Dealers. Looking at the % of notes against the Sedona I think that the Kia is going to be the best purchase I could possibly make. The % on other makes is a lot higher for the unhappy, unsatisfied owners. Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • Options
    Will you be buying a new 2003 Sedona or one of the leftover new 2002 Sedonas? This will make a big difference in the price you should expect to pay. On a 2002 right now, I'd shoot for $1,500 to $2,000 off MSRP, minus the $1,000 rebate. I'm not sure if the rebate is still in effect; check out kia.com to make sure. On a loaded 2002 Sedona, MSRP is about $24,000. So my target price before taxes/registration/title (these vary by state) would be $21,00-21,500.

There hasn't been much talk of prices paid for 2003s, but the few I've heard have gotten less than $1,000 off MSRP. MSRP seems to be slightly higher than 2002s, but not much.

If buying a 2002, look for one that has a 3rd row floor mat and TWO keyless remotes - probably a van built after Feb. 2002 or so. Some of the earlier-built units did not include the 3rd row floor mat or a 2nd keyless remote.
  • Options
    san03san03 Member Posts: 1
    I have to say sedona is the ugliest minivan on the market today. Whats with the two tone paint job? They look so cheap. Kia designers could not be more imaginative than just simply copy ford winstar? Why would anyone buy a junk from korea?
  • Options
    I guess you didn't get my email, San03. You're welcome to your opinion, but I think you're just trolling for a reaction. The rest of us here would rather discuss the pros and cons and most of us can find something good to comment on about the Sedona.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    excelent3excelent3 Member Posts: 197
    I concur with Bluedevils perspective regarding Sedona weight and possible manufacturing/production lower cost strategies. This strategy benefits the buyers and the manufacturer, and it "works for me!" Having owned German imports previously, I appreciate the " heavier road feel" the Sedona offers, especially cruising and at interstate speeds. The Sedona weight in concert with the suspension offers a very comfortable ride. I agree the Sedona is not as nimble in the handling dept. as the lighter minivans such as Mazda, but I feel a certain "tin-e-ness driving some of them, and a fair share of road noise being broadcast through the body. In my experience my Sedona ranks at the very top of the quiet department. I am very impressed with how smooth and quiet the transmission functions. Aside from a chirp occasionally from my rear seats I hear nothing but air, like flying on land. I do alot of open road driving and can attest that the added weight also adds to the excellent stability in strong cross winds, simply superb. My '91 Toyota Previa, with its very aerodynamic, mid engine, 3475 lb design did not come even close to holding the road as well as the Sedona. Another benefit of the added weight (coupled with its excellent torque range) is the superior towing performance it delivers. About 60% of the 15K miles I have logged since February have been towing, and I can't be more impressed.
    As far as the fuel economy, I would add this. The Sedona, with it's 5 speed transmission uses more gas in the city. I log my consumption and it is nothing to jump about in in-town driving. This van has power and torque, it does not have a hard time getting out of its own way. I believe these factors aid in the higher in-town consumption. Highway driving is very respectable non-towing 23-24mpg, and makes up for it. For myself and my lifestyle, this van has everything I want. Function, style, comfort, performance...Ex3
  • Options
    bvolksbvolks Member Posts: 10
    I have placed an order for a 2003 kia Sedona loaded with every option. MSRP: 24370. Price payed: 23515. That price does not include tax/tag/title. I live in the Indianapolis area. There are no 2002 Sedonas remaining around here (checked inventory websites in addition to local dealer input when considering price). Personally, I prefer to wait until a vehicle is in its second year. Consumer reports suggests it as well. However, from what I've read, the 2002/2003 Sedona's are essentially the same vehicle.
  • Options
    Our Sedona is coming up on 8000 miles. The wife just returned from a single driver trip to MI and back. Everything went well on the 1500mi adventure.

I couldn't help but notice coming back home this evening, just how smoothly the car glides down the road. Fantastic! Being in a Cessna for 3 hours may have affected my senses, but nevertheless. The premium sound system belted out some Aerosmith through the wide open moonroof; what a way to end the day!
  • Options
    soon2bkiaownersoon2bkiaowner Member Posts: 6
    Thank you Blue Devils for the info. I have been to 3 dealers in the San Jose California area, none of them have the 2003, and don't seem to know when they will get them in. I'm not in a big hurry to get a new van, I just WANT a new van. Right now I have a Ford Ranger that I am happy with, but I want more ammenities. My truck is a stripped model. No A/C CD player, and most importantly only room for 2. One of the dealers I talked to said it would be 3 months before I got a new Sedona if I ordered exactly what I wanted. Anybody think he was telling the truth?? It seems an awfully long time to wait for a sure sale. He didn't even have new pricing. I did find out a couple of the changes for the 2003's. 1) The EX no longer has an overhead console 2) The tachometer is a thing of the past 3) No garment hooks in the 3rd row 4) Auto Headlamps are standard 5) Home Link is now standard 6) It now weighs 4,802lbs. (An increase of 93lbs) 7)lastly - The Misty Blue is gone and in comes the Sage Green.

I got this info from the new 2003 Kia Sedona Pamphlet

Thank you, BlueDevils for the advice!!! :)
  • Options
    Here's one for the Sedona owners...My wife and I had a friendly impromptu (2 mile private road) drag race today. Her new Sedona v.s my S10 Chevy pick up with 4.3ltr. I thought I'd beat her home for the good parking spot.
    She slapped my Ego around pretty good with the Sedona. Embarassing to say the least. (My oldest son won't let me forget this one for a while.) "Smoked by a minivan"

The 3.5ltr in the KIA was/is impressive.
  • Options
    1) The EX no longer has an overhead console

No map lights? No trip computer? Where is the Homelink if there is no overhead console?

Bummer on the tach; I really like those.

As for Chevy, the only thing that comes to mind is...

GO KIA!
  • Options
    I just went to the Kia website to check out the 2003 Sedona brochure. Surprisingly they still list the 2002 Sedona. Seems odd. They need to get with it and update their website. When I looked at the 2003's on the lot I never took notice of the overhead console. Next time I get by there I will check 'em out.
    Ex3
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to remove the radio antenna on an LX? I was hoping to do it before going to a car wash ... it does not retract and does not screw off. There is a nut at the bottom that can be removed, but upon doing so I was still unable to remove the antenna.

Any advice?
  • Options
    I run mine through the carwash all the time. I don't think you should have a problem as it is a very rigid antenna. I don't think it was ever intended to be removed easily. Ex3
  • Options
    xafxaf Member Posts: 37
    I had no problem unscrewing the antenna from the base, and then promptly left it in the grass. I recovered it eventually once I noticed it wasn't there. I was able to unscrew it with my fingers, no tools necessary. I've got an EX if that makes any difference?
  • Options
    jayhawker1jayhawker1 Member Posts: 6
    Post #2432 on 10-5-2002, relates to a keyless entry intermittant problem for which KIA supposedly has a fix.

I have the same problem with my '02 EX and took it along with a copy of post #2432 to my dealer and to another dealer close by. Both acted like they could not read what was written, and when they phoned the "tech line" that NO ONE at the "tech line" knew anything about this or had ever heard of this problem with grounding.

I am totally frustrated with this. Have any of you gotten this runaround? If so, how did you get this resolved. What is this mysterious "tech line" that only KIA service people can call, and if, as in the post, if this had been taught at KIA school why doesn't KIA admit to knowing about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks..
  • Options
    This is definitely not removable by hand ... a wrench / pliers is needed. Once the base nut is removed, the antenna is connected to a stalk and no matter how hard I tried to loosen it, it would not break free.

BTW, my antenna bends quite a bit but I would not call it rigid. Can anyone else chime in to assist in the removal?
  • Options
    Generally speaking, sometimes an ordered vehicle is ready in as little as 4 weeks, but often it's longer. There are many factors, such as demand, time of model year, how many units the manufacturer is producing, how common/uncommon your desired vehicle configuration is, etc.

So if your dealer said it might take 3 months to get a custom-ordered Sedona, that might be correct.
  • Options
    ksedona_2003ksedona_2003 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    I just became a new 03 Sedona owner (5 days old with 20 miles.:).
    I’ve gotten a lot of info reading this forum about the 02 Sedona, which lead me to purchase my new 03 EX. Now I can contribute myself on 03 EX info to share with other owners or future owners. My initial Target minivan was the Honda Ody but after test driving and dealing with the dealers with an attitude. I have decided to go with Kia.

I paid $22,300 w/o tax, title and doc fees for new 03 EX fully loaded (minus the leather) I also, got free Sunroof Visor and Mud flap (I know these options don’t cost much but hey it’s free).
    This price included rust proof protection for under body, paint and fabric protection
    (Price was $1450 - Discount of $465 = $985). So, my real purchase price is $21,315.
    I didn't want it but I had no choice. This was the only dealer
    that had more than 10 2003 Sedona in stock in Chicago land area.
    And they put this rust proof protection on all the Sedonas.
    The rust proof option is called 'Chrysler Master Shield Protection' or something.
    This dealer also sells Jeep/Eagle. I think they put this on their
    Jeep Cherokees and wranglers. Does anyone know about this ‘Rust Proof Protection’ option? My friends and family told me that this is just another option that dealer makes big $$$ on and I don't really need this option.
    I did notice that the whole under body is covered with some kind of black rubbery material. Anyways, look forward to sharing info with you all on new 03 EX.
  • Options
    Hi and welcome to the Sedona fold.

Your friends and family are right about after market rustproofing being a costly add-on. Another expensive frill was the fabric protection dealers used to "install" on new cars.

You didn't have a choice in the matter so don't feel suckered. Consumer reports has all kinds of press on these sort of add ons.

Fact is you have an excellent van costing $1000's less then others.

Next time you see one of those high priced Mini's remember it's all the same.
    Glass, plastic, and rubber... and you got a deal on yours.

Enjoy the new van...
  • Options
    The Sedona is undercoated with a very heavy coat I might add. I was very impressed with how well the undercarriage was protected, FROM THE FACTORY . Personally I would not have purchased from that dealer. That's called a "pack" and in the case of the undercoating it's an OUTRIGHT LIE. You can have it serviced at their place after you buy it FROM ANOTHER DEALER and they should thank you for that. As a matter of fact, the best part of is you won't have to have it serviced much! Congrats on you new purchase! EX3
  • Options
    My check engine light went on yesterday. I called the dealer and he told me if it's running ok (which it is) it's probably due the fact that I did not screw on my gas cap tight enougn and that it will reset itself and go off after a series of starts. He mentioned it was related to emissions. Anyone have any similiar experience? EX3
  • Options
    It's a common problem with all newer cars. Usually 3 or 4 trip cycles will reset the light and it'll go off.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    but he's right. We've experienced this situation on other vehicles. Many gas caps now sport a warning about this very thing. Doesn't the Sedona gas cap say something like 'not tightening 2-3 clicks may cause the Check Engine light to illuminate'?
  • Options
    Reinforcements (even corrections) are always welcome! I always do at least 3 clicks and often a half dozen, and don't trust the full serve places to get it right if I have to get gas in neighboring Oregon where there's no self-serve.

Something to do with emissions and fumes escaping from the gas tank triggering the light if the cap leaks vapors.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    My check engine light came on today at noon. I checked the gas cap, and it may have been a tad loose. I should have tried turning it closed instead of unscrewing it first, but it did seem to unscrew more easily than I expected/remember. Will see if the light goes out between now and Monday (appointment scheduled).

I took out all the rear seats this morning and currently have a new washer and dryer, still in the boxes, in the back - fit easily with room to spare! Got to love the utility value of the minivan!

And no, the light came on before I picked up the cargo.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response, geeze can life get any better than this?! Wait and see mode is in effect on the gas cap strategy....I'll keep you posted. On Halloween anything can happen with all those ghosts, spirits, and demons running around. EX3
  • Options
    vanphanvanphan Member Posts: 41
    I agree with EX3 about the underside being well undercoated at the factory and redundant. Perhaps no dealer-applied undercoating was done on your vehicle and the dealer called the factory job his own. This may be difficult to do but I would try to look under another '03 without the dealer-applied undercoating and compare. I just find it very odd that this protection is a REQUIREMENT from them AND they charge you for it! I assume the fabric protection has the guarantee for X amount of years in writing.

But you still got a great deal on your van. Especially this early in the model year.

About your mud flap(s). If they are the genuine Kia part, are they a hard, rigid rubber or are they more pliable? I've always wondered if these were paintable. If so, I'd like to add a pair on the rear and match them to the platinum paint.
  • Options
    Kia's race team vehicle has a 3.5ltr in it pumping out 350 h.p. Imagine that baby in a Sedona. I wonder if this engine is a factory tuner. If so then Kia will probably use some of that technology in coming years or make it available as a performance add on.
    Also I'd like to see a Sedona with ground effects/running boards. My son has morfed a photo of a Sedona with them and it looked pretty sharp.
  • Options
    saber86saber86 Member Posts: 128
    What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two? My sister in law wants to purchase a sedona but she can't decide if she would be better of with bench or captains chair for 2nd row. She has a 3 year old and a 5 yeard old plus another one on the way. The vehicle will be used mainly to haul kids around town, grocery shopping, errands, and occasional family vacation trips.
  • Options
    Mine came on Sunday and stayed on through at least 6 or 8 cycles. The dealer checked it Monday and had to replace a "canister cover". The part cost about $30 and with labor Kia paid about $100 for the fix.