Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Kia Sedona (2005 and Earlier)

Comments

• Options
    bvolksbvolks Member Posts: 10
    I have a new 2003 Sedona. Following the break-in period, our van got 20.4 mpg highway (Detroit to Indianapolis). I personally couldn't be happier about the purchase. Got 0% for 36 months with 800.00 below invoice and a good trade-in on my car. In regards to your trade-ins, If you can't sell the Civic outright (also my first choice), tell them you are interested in the Sedona and you want to trade-in your Civic. Get that appraisal in writing. Then tell the dealer you'll think about it. Come back a couple of days later and do the same thing with the Elantra. Go back a week later and tell them you would like to trade-in both cars and get their response. I'm sure I'll be flamed for suggesting that, but there is nothing dishonest about negotiating this way. However, be prepared for a lower than expected trade-ins as many new cars offer incentives that are softening the used car market. As for the van itself, we love the Sedona. So far, my only complaint is the gas mileage
  • Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Note: the following uses the underlying assumption that the S10 is incompatible with two-child transport.

I hope that you have considered the consequences of the van not being available (no matter which one you buy). At least two board members have reported some loss of use following accidents. (This is not to imply a Sedona phenomenon in any way.) Full disclosure: our Sedona was out of service for 8 days for an electrical problem. In my albeit limited 20 years of car experience, sedans and vans have vastly different service to maintenance/warranty ratios. Your mileage may vary.

So, not to sound too parochial, some additional advice: 1) thoroughly review and understand dealer policy on car rental for normal or warranty maintenance, and consider maintaining car rental reimbursement on the insurance policy.
  • Options
    mismith356mismith356 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks All!

I really appreciate the advice and suggestions. I may look into the 2002's...$340 for an EX sounds great! As a matter of fact, that is only $20 more than we are paying for the civic currently. Even if we had to go with the 2003, 2.9 for 60 months sounds decent.

Looking around, for the fully loaded EX (leather, moon roof, 2 tone paint...everything except the hitch)...I am guessing on what? Like maybe $22,500-$23,000?

Edumunds says MSRP = 24370...TMV = 23589

What is a reasonable deal? Anyone in the Orlando FL area bought one lately?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate willness to help.

Mike
  • Options
    jayhawker1jayhawker1 Member Posts: 6
    We have a 2002 EX purchased in July 2002. We have experienced irrational and unexplicable loss of use with the remote keyless entry. Some times it will not work at any range period, then magically the next day, it works flawlessly. I have given my service people the posting on this board about the grounding issue but they say that they know nothing of it and no part or reference is available on their tech service. Any one else have this problem??
  • Options
    I would call the Kia 800# and open a case. You should have names (svc mgr at least) and a phone number for the dealer service dept. handy. I had a similar scenario trying to get the cold start hesitation fix; the dealer didn't have the TSB yet. Within 24 hours of calling Kia, it was resolved.

Some advice: Patience and polite persistence are the best approach on the phone. The person I spoke with was helpful, but.

I am waiting for a call back from the senior mechanic at the dealer to see if he knows anything about it. I'll post what I learn.
  • Options
    bnhbucksbnhbucks Member Posts: 74
    Has anyone else experienced problems with the power seat on the passenger side? We seem to be experiencing a problem with it moving up and down, but it seems to be okay back and forth.
  • Options
    frankly47frankly47 Member Posts: 2
    I have an opportunity to buy a Sedona EX for $20,800. This is $100 above invoice. It does not have the extra's such as leather, ABS, Tow(not needed) or sun roof. Any thoughts. The only thing I would want is the leather and the sun roof. Is this a good price and how does this vehicle compare to a Dodge Caravan or a Villager which I can get for $16,500 knowing they are discontinuing them. I am in a SUV but will turn it in next week. What is a good price for the car with only the sun roof and leather
  • Options
    navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    See post 2766. Think mine was the most recent purchase posted. It was a pretty good deal for this early in the model year. Someone can prbably beat it by a couple of hundred, but eventually, your time is worth something. Only had to go around 3x on Internet with this dealer.

Best of all, I never set foot in the showroom until I was ready to test drive the vehicle prior to signing the papers!

$21990 was quote for sunroof and leather EX. from Criswell in N VA. I was looking for van with ABS (it is heavy!). Didn't work that price down at all.

The Dodge you will either love, or hate. Doesn't seem to be any happy medium. Friends have had tire (wear) and transmission problems...fairly common occurance. Me, I hate the way their paint flakes on some model years, and the trim pops off.
  • Options
    Ok, I saw your post earlier but took another look. So let me make sure I understand the price you paid.

2003 EX, leather, moonroof, ABS and two tone paint (?)

Before taxes, tag, and title work you paid $21990?? Also, you had no dealer fees (like a $400-$600 paper work or admin fee)?

Also, did this quote include a down payment subtracted up front or a trade value subtracted first?

Sorry to ask for all this detail, just trying to nail down what I can hope to pay here in Orlando FL.

Thanks Man!
  • Options
    vanphanvanphan Member Posts: 41
    The remote on our '02 EX was working intermittenly also. I asked my dealer about the grounding issue, but he said he knows nothing about the grounding plate fix. But two months ago he replaced the remote and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

I just wrote a post a couple weeks ago about our driver power seat rocking up and down with about a half inch of play. The dealer tightened some bolts on two occations but it still is loose. He'll hear about it again on the next visit.

• Options
    frankly47frankly47 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response

I am probably going to go with the Sedona because it has all that I want. I cannot get the Sedona with sun roof and leather so I am stuck with cloth and no sunroof or ABS for $20,800 plus tax. I am wondering if I am short changing myself. My only concern is not getting ABS. I can live without leather and sun roof. How do you like the Sedona compared to the Mercury. Have any problems with the Sedona.

I am about ready to go. I test drove the car and like it. The dealer is throwing in free oil changes which is about 100.00
  • Options
    the ABS was my concern too. I did not care about the leather and got the cloth instead with ABS. I do not know about where you live, but ABS was already helpful the other day when I hit some black ice in Indiana and worked very well. With it being so heavy the ABS comes in very handy. I would go for the ABS, but that is just me. Others do not like ABS as well.
  • Options
    mercmaraudermercmarauder Member Posts: 22
    If the van you're looking at is not exactly what YOU want then I suggest looking a little harder or waiting.

We bought a 2002 Sedona EX a few months ago. The decision came down to two nearly identical vans: one with sun roof, one with leather and ABS. I like leather and thought the sun roof was strange on a van. Wife doesn't care for leather. I wanted her to be happy and she's the primary driver so: no leather, no ABS.

We don't miss it. But we live in the heart of Dixie and seldom see ice on the roads. And we've had other cars with ABS, going all the way back to 1987. My wife was never a fan. "The brake pedal feels funny," she'd say.

I do miss the 5% discount my insurance company gives for ABS, though.

In conclusion: no ABS, no leather, but all other options for about $20,500. Love the van, no problems at all after about 2500 miles. Wife is happy, life is good.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might see some ice today! Drive safely down there. And thanks for the periodic progress reports, everyone. Real world experiences are very helpful to the tire kickers out there.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I saw yesterday a sign that there is a Christmas blowout sale on all Isuzu and Kia accessories at McKinzey-Bond Isuzu/Kia in Houston, Tx. There is no info for the sale on their website but here is the contact info: http://www.mckinzeybond.com/parts.html The prices seem to be at least 30% off and Mike (the part manager) said that he'll give free shipping on orders over $50. I'm not related to the dealership, just passing what I feel is a good deal.
  • Options
    arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    The passenger seat only adjusts fore and aft and reclines. It does not adjust up and down or tilt like the drivers seat.
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Finally had a chance to engage the ABS in our Sedona. Having owned/driven the vehicle over 12k miles and 9 months, I figured it was about time to find out what the ABS felt like in this vehicle. We got about 4" of snow the other day here in southeast Michigan and our street has a couple inches of hard snow pack. As I neared our driveway at about 15mph (no traffic nearby!), I braked hard. It was good to find out that the vehicle actually has ABS! Sure, it said so on the window sticker when we bought the van, but it was nice to confirm it by feeling the grabbing/pulsating/etc. that is common for ABS-equipped vehicles in appropriate situations.
  • Options
    Since you didn't say you veered into the mailbox, I presume the ABS worked well?

Our dealer still is unaware of the grounding plate replacement for the remote entry system, but said that it is typical for owners to know about some of these things before they do. Anyway, has anyone asked Kia USA yet?
  • Options
    arjay1 - thanks for the information. I guess it would help to check my owners manual on this. You saved me from embarrassing myself at the dealer by demanding a fix on something that was unfixable.

bluedevils - good to hear that your ABS works well too. I am sure I'll have plenty of additional opportunities here in Northeast Ohio this winter. You just keep sending that snow our way - cut it out!
  • Options
    Our local dealer indicated it was willing to resolve the poor keyless entry performance, although I didn't get to hear the dealer's explanation myself since my wife dropped off and picked up the van. Unfortunately, the dealer ran out of time and couldn't complete the grounding plate procedure, so it will have to wait for some other visit.
  • Options
    The little bit of snow today (~8in) in VA proved not bad (somewhat fun)in the van. It was very slick since the ground is still warm this time of year, but the van with ABS does well. I got to test them out on the snow pack near the mall just for fun.

The steering is a bit squirrely, especially on starts with asymmetric traction. Of course, the Sedona is a nice UV, not an S-UV. Once the mass of the vehicle gets going it's better. TCS would be a nice to have.

The front windshield wiper heater helps. First time I've ever had that feature; I really like it.
  • Options
    Will test my new ride mileage and traction out en route to Army/Navy this weekend. Hope I DON'T have to use the ABS!
  • Options
    We saw the Army/Navy game at the Ravens Stadium, two years ago, I think. Great game (Navy won), including the F/A-18 formation and the parachuting from both sides. Temp was about 28 and we were south side, so no sun, and breezy.

Enjoy. Those are good games.
  • Options
    jcrider2jcrider2 Member Posts: 46
    Just finished my forth trip to Flordia, about 2000 miles each time. Yesterdays was the worst of any of them since the trip from Charlotte NC to Roanoke Va was on ice and snow. This van preformed like a champ, no sliping or sliding even without ABS on some very slick roads. We spent 4 hrs in one traffic tie up and the van kept us toasty warm. I feel the heavy weight is an advantage in this type of weather. My van has 22000 mile now and no problems yet.
  • Options
    seeley5060seeley5060 Member Posts: 25
    I read a ways back that some owners have experienced their windshields developed cracks without having something hit the glass. This has now happened to our van. A crack was observed coming from the center bottom, below the rubber molding of the windshield running up towards the drivers side a good seven inches. There is no evidence of outside help (rocks and such) on the outer glass. I live on long island and we just a our first snow fall, pretty cold that day. Could it have happened from the heat and cold coming together like a stress crack? Does anyone else know if Kia will replace the glass under warranty?
  • Options
    It hasn't happened to our EX van, despite being in sub 5f weather in Hamilton, NY last February to 105 in the mid-atlantic (or 112 on the Sedona thermometer ;) ).

Anyway, iirc from what has been posted here, the symptoms you describe are exactly what I would expect. You should be able to ask the same question when you call the dealer to schedule the appt, and while they will likely say, "Depends", that's better than if they say, "Never heard of that." If the latter, you probably want to start organizing your ammunition...uh...I mean evidence, in the form of posts, calling the Kia 800# to see what they know, etc.

Hopefully, it won't be that difficult, but, fwiw, it would be best to approach this from the aspect of making sure that everyone understands that this is a warranty issue before the windshield is replaced, than after.
  • Options
    jondotjondot Member Posts: 63
    Seeley5060, my EX windshield had exactly the same type of crack. The dealer service manager checked it and agreed to replace it under warranty. What may have helped accelerate the action is the posts from this panel which I printed and gave to the service advisor. Check posts 2513 thru 2519 and 2624 to get some background on this subject.
  • Options
    I looked at Kias website and only see the $1000 rebate? Anyone know if 2.9 is a thing if the past...

Also, as an FYI, I requested a quote via edmunds site...Courtesy Kia of Brandon FL.

Was contacted with what looked like a form email suggesting I look at their website (*MSRP only). Got a second email from the same guy asking for exactly what I wanted on the van and if he could call me during the day. I was polite (even though the quote requested listed exactly what I wanted)...gave my number at work and further explained which options I wanted.

Have not heard from them in over a week now. They are off my list of dealers.

Thanks All!

Mike
  • Options
    jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    Yes, it has been replaced by a $1000 rebate. No loss there, if you qualified for the subtended rate at Kia finance you can get conventional financing at a great rate.
  • Options
    kams1kams1 Member Posts: 4
    KIA offers now a $1000 discount on 2003 SEDONA. I bought my 2003 EX just 3 DAYS prior to the announcement. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF I CAN REQUEST/APPLY FOR THE DISCOUNT? I really feel unfortunate? Thanks...Sam
  • Options
    My impression is that people in your situation are out of luck. The manufacturers provide most of these rebate programs, and if you bought the car outside of the valid rebate timeframe, the manufacturer will not give it to you on the 'close enough' reasoning. Your dealer could give you $1,000 back as a goodwill gesture, but they are under no obligation to do so. And since they likely cannot collect the $1,000 from Kia since you did not buy the car during the valid rebate period, you are probably out of luck. Another longshot would be if your dealer was willing to void all the paperwork and re-process a new deal dated during the rebate period. But that is bordering on unethical/illegal, and I would not expect a dealer to do this for a customer.
  • Options
    Averaged over 20mpg on 500 mile trip into/out of NJ/Meadowlands. Van now has about 650 miles on it, and is running like a champ...needs a wash from the road grime, though.

Hit one patch of ice and got to use ABS, which worked great.

BTW, transitioning from RWD to FWD van takes some getting used to, as I chirped the wheels a couple of times pulling out of toll booths with ice not totally cleared.

Ordered a class 3 hitch and wiring per above, today.

Have asked my dealer RE the rebate, and will see what he says.

HH - I was at that game in Bal'mer but sat warming in the sun. Ditto the Meadowlands. Navy beat Army 58-6. Harkens back to my days as a Mid when we whooped 'em 51-0 and 4 yrs in a row. Probably the last "non-pro" college football match up being played today.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great trip. Luckily we had club seats in Bal'mer. By happenstance I can tell you that the Colgate-Dartmouth rivalry is probably on par with A-N (non-pro-wise) without the nostalgia.

Anyway, I have only driven FWDs and I still occasionally chirp the tires on the Sedona.

I am curious to see the difference in the 02 and 03 Sedona cockpits if anybody can post a picture at some point.
  • Options
    pizardpizard Member Posts: 45
    I was sold my Sedona (used) and it said it came with ABS on the sticker. How can I tell for sure without taking it out and doing a sudden stop?

I believe that it doesn't have ABS. Does anyone know if I have an recourse on buying a used vehicle that says it has ABS when it doesn't (in case the sedona doesn't have abs as sold). I still have the sticker that was on the van when I purchased it.

Thanks,
    Stacey
  • Options
    Well, ABS was an option on your van. I don't see why they would list it if it wasn't there. I'm not sure how you can tell without testing.

Curious, though - what makes you think it doesn't have ABS?
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Stacey,

How long ago did you buy the Sedona? Why don't you think it has ABS?
  • Options
    Does anyone have a lot of wind noise while on the freeway from the Sedona? I can't tell where the noise is coming from, but I feel the culprit is probably the sunroof? This is the first van I have owned and I am used to smaller cars and not sure if the wind noise is because of a bigger vehicle but anyone have any thoughts on this?

Stacey
  • Options
    I bought my Sedona used in January 2002. Well..my previous vehicle which had ABS had a light that said ABS on the dash, but this one only have a brake light and I am not sure if that is the right light for ABS.

Also, I had slid on some ice the other day but nothing happened when I hit the ice. I don't know if it is because I was trying to slow down slowly and slid and I just didn't hit the brake hard enough or what.

Stacey
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Another possibility is that your van does have ABS but it is faulty. I do not own a Sedona so I don't know about the indicator lights, but I think I'd take a look in the owner's manual for details of fuses/relays that should be present if your van has ABS and check whether they are or not.
  • Options
    artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I think just about every ABS equipped vehicle runs a self test at start up indicated by an ABS light on the dash. Also, you can raise the hood and follow the brake lines from the master cylinder and see if they go to a box with four individual fittings and electrical connections.
  • Options
    artgpo is correct. Most, if not all, vehicles perform an ABS diagnostic test upon engine startup.

Try calling Kia and providing them with your Sedona's VIN. They should be able to determine the specific equipment options on your van based on the VIN.
  • Options
    pizard,

2100 miles on the wife's '02 EX with sunroof and no wind noise. This is the first van we've owned with a sunroof and it's much quieter than the Windstars we were used to.

Last time I thought I had some wind noise it turned out that one of the kids had opened one of the back windows slightly...
  • Options
    I can see the engine check light and the airbag light in my mind's eye. I don't recall seeing an ABS light during the post-start sequences. (Most all of them come on just prior to cranking.)

For the mechanically un-inclined:

1) Fasten seatbelt
    2) Find lonely stetch of flat, straight road with no ditches
    3) At 30 mph push the break pedal to the floor.

Results:

A)If the wheels emit a horrendous screech, leave long dark streaks on the road, then no ABS, or it isn't working.

B) If little sound is heard (there can be some chirping) and the brake pedal pulsates, ABS is equipped and functioning.

Wind noise: try sliding the front crossbar on the roof rack back 1 to 2 feet.
  • Options
    erikkleinerikklein Member Posts: 50
    I've got an LX with no sunroof and experience the wind noise as well. Sounds like it is coming from the driver and passenger side front doors.

In cold weather, the transmission takes quite a while to move between 1st and 2nd gear (and sometimes 2nd and 3rd gear) and you can even see the tachometer climb a little bit during the shift even if the accelerator is held steady ... when engine is warm, no problems.
  • Options
    no noticeable wind noise on our sunroof-equipped 2002 Sedona EX after 12,000+ miles. Overall, our van seems to emit very little wind and road noise into the cabin.
  • Options
    I have the first roof rack bar pushed almost back with the rear one. No change.
  • Options
    xafxaf Member Posts: 37
    I notice on some types of pavement, especially cement that the tires are noisy. A posibility?
  • Options
    twotonesedonatwotonesedona Member Posts: 5
    This is a Sedona posting not a Grand Caravan or MPV posting. You neglected to mention anything about the wonderful Sedona? Perhaps you hit the send button a little early
  • Options
    I noticed on my recent trip to Indiana that the driver's side door had some wind noise associated with it, but not the sun roof. Any fixes or ideas for fixes on the wind noise from Drivers side door.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's been a spate of off-topic postings today that I'm trying to clean up. Meanwhile, don't feed the trolls :-)

Steve, Host