Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• clipkarnclipkarn Member Posts: 20
    Maybe too rudamentery, but have you replaced the fuel filter? Also, if you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, you might get some clues there. The reading should be constant even when you rev the engine. If not, you might have a tired fuel pump, clogged filter, or dripping (leaky) injector seals.

Good luck --- Clip
  • axe101xaxe101x Member Posts: 5
    new fuel filter none of the injector seals leak found a leaking vacuum line fixed it but still acts like it loading up or hitting a rev limiter sometimes it will pop back thru carb(throttle body) please help me i need this fixed. no codes on scan tool motor or trans. it will only go to 3500 rpm's before it acts up.
  • animal2animal2 Member Posts: 11
    sounds like a bad cat try to drop the cat out and rev problem wont be there if the cat is bad
  • sixdayssixdays Member Posts: 10
    hi, the car when in 4 wheel drive and the ster.. turned left or right starts to jump grind like teeth are no meshing,
    i took the diff plate off and no filings ,or chips etc they look quite good,
    then i took out the half shafts and checked all ,looks good,
    put it all back together,then i turned the wheels front and back the way ,i noticed that there was about 1 inch play front to back ,like whip lash if you turn the front prop shaft about 1 inch before the gears in the diff start to move,also when you drive it fall wards straight in 4 wheel d ,all is OK ,and again you do notice the whip lash ,can you give me some advice ,i like to do the work my self ,not much cash thanks Porscha
  • mtbventanamtbventana Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 JGC and mine was acting like that and I thought it was the fuel pump, but ends up the catalytic converter was shot. Better get both of those checked.
  • sixdayssixdays Member Posts: 10
    no my prob is very diff ,its the diff or trans box ,would app..anyone who has had the same prob thanks porscha
  • davidp08davidp08 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 01 Grand Cherokee and recently my turn signals and ac went out at the same time. Both signals died as well as the front control panel for the air conditioner. It all happened at the same time so i believe it may be electrical. I changed the ac and turn signal fuses on the box in the engine compartment but it didnt help. Did i overlook something? Any suggestions?
  • neb1997neb1997 Member Posts: 6
    I experienced a similar issue with my 97 cherokee, and in my case the tilt wheel pulled the ignition wiring harness loose. My cruise went first, but I could get it to work by moving the tilt up and down. Then went the blower, then signals, then I'd lose all power and the engine would shut off, sometimes when turning corners. Yikes. I'd tilt up and down and eventually all would work again.

It was a simple fix. Remove the cover on the steering column. Look for blackened wires. If you see some fried wires, disconnect battery and repair.
  • jodie1614jodie1614 Member Posts: 2
    My '01 JGC Limited is making a squeaking/howling noise. It's coming from the front and I thought it was my brakes but I've had them checked 3 times and they're fine. The noise stops when I push on my brakes. My wheel bearings, ball joints, and drive shaft have all been checked too and are all fine. What else could be making it make that annoying squeaking/howling noise? :confuse:
  • smokebeesmokebee Member Posts: 30
    Three things to start with
    1---seat yourself--put foot on brake and keep it there--turn ignition on/off three times
    2--lock vehicle, go to passenger side--unlock door with key
    3--disconnect negative terminal and wait 1 minute. Reconnect and try signals/AC
    Good luck---each of these feats has helped me out time to time on 99 GC with 4.0 six engine.
    S Swann--Odessa, Tx
    I took the cat off it wasnt that so i tracked down the egr valve and it wont move open or close with any air flow hooked up to it so i think its that any ideas besides that
    my 95 jgc did that exact thing i drained the front diff and put lucas 80/90 in it and a new power steering pump and used lucas power steering for the initial prime and after i did that it quit grindin and hummin and makin weird sounds when i turned so try those
  • howie56howie56 Member Posts: 21
    The tranny worked great for about 6000 miles and now is starting to shudder again and the surging in the engine is back also - - Talked to a woman who had an identical 05 JGC as mine and was told that she hadn't had any surging problems with this jeep but this was their 6th jeep and some of the other did have that problem. Jeep knows that they have a problem but will not admit to it seeing as other units also have the problem . Well , Chrysler will be out of business before long and then we'll all be screwed . . . :sick:
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    if you had the rebuild done on 10/15/08, you should still be covered under warranty for the transmission. did you have the work done at a dealer? most places give you a 12 month/12K mile warranty with stuff like that. good luck.
  • paganmommapaganmomma Member Posts: 9
    My husband and i checked our brake fluid the other day and it was black as all get up. i have been having problems with the brakes not engaging untill the pedal is almost to the floor. i have an 88 jeep cherokee. i don't know when it had a fluid flush last i have only owned it for 5 months. if i have been driving a while the brakes start to get mushy and start to studer, but other wise the are just slow to react. i had them inspected 2 months ago and they where fine. i am not leaking around the master cylinder or anywhere else. i had one tech tell me that it sounds like i have an air leak in the line, but at the same time i had another tell me that changing the fluid will fix it. PLEASE HELP!!!!! just the flush is fine, but if i need a new master or booster i am screwed because i have a baby and i have to take my husband to and from work.
    thanks--paganmomma :confuse:
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    if you have abs brakes on this jeep your brake booster pump moter could be bad
    had that on my 87
  • rosebudentrosebudent Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee does nothing. The engine doesn't even turn over. The odometer comes up with the word "done".

The last time the engine started, it ran for about 2-3 mins, made a muffled thud noise and just stopped. It hasn't started since. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Did my engine blow up or something? What does "done" mean? I'm at a loss.
  • jeepless2jeepless2 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep burns up the coils in about a day. I have replaced the plugwires and the plugs. Rotor button and dist cap. I have also replace the ground wire to the block.
  • lovesummer0716lovesummer0716 Member Posts: 1
    what's the mileage on it? i also have a 99. it's never been flooded...has it? how long have you had it?
  • jerry50jerry50 Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 Grand Cherokee rear rotor was frozen in place. I could not get it off due to limited work space around dust/splash shield. I did google search & found a site with pictures and how to break free which I wanted to share for all diyer's, www.daihatsu.org/jeep. Patience needed but this simple method worked for me. Another good reference site for JEEP info is www.wjjeeps.com.
  • cj2zcj2z Member Posts: 1
    Require info on how to disconnect the overspeed chime on Grand Cherokee Larado 2008, Middle east model (if different) currently set to 120KPH.
  • ulstermanulsterman Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 03 2.7 crd, heated seats and all that flash ,But here in north ireland its still a bit nippy this time of year ,so it would be nice if the heater worked as well .The AC works ,the blower works on every level ,but blows cold air ,jeep temp is normal ,I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as my kids love it ,but my wife wont warm to it .no pun intended.
  • moresurfmoresurf Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone added a performance chip? Does it live up to the claims? I am mostly concerned with improving gas mileage. I have 4.7 V8. Please let me know. thank you.
  • big_pimpin_kbig_pimpin_k Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 xj and today the check engine light, and the airbag light came on and stay on. Also all of the gauges stopped working and the in the mileage box, it read some code!!! Can anyone help?!?!?!?
  • tnorwoodtnorwood Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee and all of lights inside will flicker and the radio will do the same. my batery gauge will go up and down and it sounds like it wants to die. i just replaced the alternator. checked all of the fuses and everything is good. does anyone have any ideas???
  • skijeep1skijeep1 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same thing happen to my 2000 JGC and the problem was I need a new battery
    Before you invest in a new battery---disconnect the negative cable first the positive cable secondly---clean the batt posts and the inside of the cable ends till they are bright. R econnect the pos--then the negative to the batt. Get in the vehicle--put foot on brake and hold--Turn the ignition switch on-off, on-off, on-off. release the brake and start engine.This has worked for me on a 99--4.0 L engine.
    S Swann
  • jennyca11jennyca11 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever figure out the problem with the intermittent stalling ?
    I have a 1997 jeep grand cherokee limited, and I am having the same problem..
    Any suggestions ???

I have replaced the battery, the Distributor Cap, rotor and the pick-up coil. It ran fine for 1 weeks, not one single problem. Then one night about 5 miles from home pulled up to stop light and the jeep just died. Ever since then the problem has gotten worse to now we can't drive it at all.

Any suggestions ???
  • c_farooqc_farooq Member Posts: 20
    Hi.
    Try the coil pack and spark plugs? is the engine souding ok? does it miss fire? my problem with the jeep was to do with a switch on the driver side window. Once this was fixed, the car worked fine. Do you have other problems?
  • tiggerrichtiggerrich Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 4.7 jepp grand Cherokee with a 601 error. The Jeep runs fine. I replaced the ecu and the new one, after being reset, started one time then develope the same 601 error. After all resets it last only one start. The jeep has has been running fine, with this error, for a year. It acts like there is a virous that keeps reinfecting the ECU.
  • confused21confused21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Bought new rotors, and after putting them on the front wheels wouldn't turn.

I checked the sizes and the "stock" rotors are 1/2" (roughly) smaller in diameter. Auto Zone and a belvy of other places cannot help me. Maybe someone here has a part number or knows what they should be?

The "stock" rotors given as replacements were 3115's (305mm), the old rotors appear to be 265-275mm. Same hat size and overall dimensions as the 3115's, just smaller diameter.

We have searched and opened 20 boxes at Auto Zone (love those folks there) with no luck.

Can anyone help?
  • m3rcm3rc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 4x2 Grand Cherokee Laredo. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a squeak coming from the rear only when I am driving forward. It does not do it in reverse. As the weeks go by it has gotten allot louder and I can not tell where it is coming from. As far as I can tell, it is coming from the rear and is loud. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
  • ghost_oneghost_one Member Posts: 11
    The "99" through "04" GC has a known fault with the heater blend air doors, especially the automatic temperature control heaters, you may be experiencing this problem, symptoms are no heat on passenger side or drivers side or maybe heat on one and not the other, this is an expensive fix if it is the problem as the dash has to be pulled, but not all is lost, there is a guy on ebay who sells a fix kit you can install from under the dash it works and fixes problem for a fraction of the dealer cost, hope this helps, WKjeeps.com has an article about this problem.

2008.5 GC Laredo diesel
  • zootzoot Member Posts: 1
    IU have a 98 Grand Cherokee that keeps blowing front diffs. Two in the last two weeks! I also have a 94 Cherokee scout that Im about to junk. Would it be poss ible to install the transfer case and front diff from the scout to the
    grand. I really hate the full time 4 wheel drive on the Grand to start with! I was in a pinch and got the Grand Cherokee for a good price paid $2000 and now have an additional $3000 into it. I was just going to put another junk yard dif in it and sell it but I dont want to screw someone else.
    Norm
  • taffy3taffy3 Member Posts: 26
    I also have a '98 GCLtd and I removed the front drive completely. As I only use it as a road car I didn't see the need for 4x4. Take out both front drive axles but retain the stub axles to the wheels. Remove the prop shaft from between the diff and transfer case. You then have a perfectly good road car, with perhaps a little understeer, with less front end noise and no prancing about when starting off.
  • hawaiilavahawaiilava Member Posts: 1
    My 99 has 94 factory parts on it. Found out the hard way like u.
    Thanks for that might actually do that. DOes your transher box not work now? my transfer box is making some noise? if doing that wil help might do that. Is it just as easy to make it into front wheel drive, as its better in snow.

cheers
    HI

I am having the same problem.If you go left or right does it stop? if you turn left and it stops it means the problem is on that side and it could be a bearing. if it sfront its cheaper than the rear one. Also might be the diff. have you noticed any different with performance.

hope this helps.
  • dresdondolldresdondoll Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem with my 2004 Jeep GC. I bought it 2 years ago & noticed the same thing as soon as I drove off the Patrick Pontiac lot. I took it back to them & naturally, they couldn't find anything. Since then I had Elmer's, my regular mechanic, diagnose the steering column replacement and tell me to take it back to Patrick because it's a $1000 job. I did this, & again, they did not find this problem. I don't regret buying my Jeep; I regret who I bought it from. I'm going to Vision for 3rd opinion and then most likely will have my trustworthy guys at Elmer's fix it. Good Luck
  • samcoolsamsamcoolsam Member Posts: 1
    hi all, I have a 2000 cherokee classic and it drives so well but between 80 and 100 km/h the front wheels vibrates quite much but more than a 100 or less than 80 I feel no vibrations at all , what do you think is wrong? and what should I do?
  • trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    this kind of vibration at a specific speed usually indicates that you need to get your tires balanced. i recommend a computerized road-force balance if your shop has one. good luck!
  • clipkarnclipkarn Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know if you can pop the glass assembly (mirror and frame) out of the mirror shell? If so, how do you do it? I'm trying not to have a painting event.
  • rob1231rob1231 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I have purchased a used 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0l 6 cyl with 132,000 miles on it.I have been having problems with it shutting off on me,have noticed that the oil pressure on the dashboard appears to stay on or near 0.The only time that it will go up to the halfway mark is if i am driving but once i come to a stop it goes back down again.Please help me.

I have purchased a New Oil pressure switch ,Fuel Pressure Regulator,Complete Fuel Pump Assembly,Oil Pump Assembly,Oil Pan Gasket,Have replaced the Oil,Oil Filter on it twice.

I am in need of a tune up,will try to do that within the week.I would appreciate any help on this matter as i need this vehicle to get to work or to assist me in finding work where there isn't any public transportation available.
  • stew79stew79 Member Posts: 1
    the fuse was blown i replaced it and put it in drive and it blew again. put a new one in and was able to drive it. is there something that i should be concerned about.
  • rhdriverrhdriver Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 6 cil and 2 WD. The transmission only moves the vehicle when rev up at high RPMs. Can anyone provide input as to the possible causes of this problem before I pay someone to rebuild the transmission?

Also, I look under the transmission and the drain plug has a “DII” written on it. Does this mean the transmission uses Dextron II ATF? I read in other posts and in the Auto zone website that 1999 Jeep model uses ATF-4 with the 30RH transmission or Mercon V, Castrol domestic multi vehicle ATF, and Castrol high mileage ATF with the AW-4 transmission.

Lastly, is there any way to drain the torque converter without any machinery?

Thank you all for your advice,
    These trans have some computer control exerted on them. Try this. Take the negative battery cable off. let set 5 min or so. reconnect. put key in switch and with your foot on the brake turn key(not to start)--on off, on off, on off, release the foot brake. start engine and see if trans engages a low RPM. The steps you have performed cause a reset of the computer---it has cured problems in many instances.
    S Swann
  • highmainthighmaint Member Posts: 1
    won't turn over acts like its not get fuel .been sitting for a while. changed out relay. what should i try next?
  • ebizsearchebizsearch Member Posts: 4
    Have a 1995 jeep grand cherokee with V-8, 318 cid.
    (5.2 L). Can not find location of the oxygen sensor to replace it. Can anyone tell me where it is. Is access from top or under side? Can I get to it without other parts removal?
    Thanks for any help.
  • galtejanogaltejano Member Posts: 1
    96 grand Cherokee, I had the coolant sensor replaced and now I need to know how to reset the panel.
    Should be located in front exhaust pipe near where it ties into exhaust manifold. A secondary downstream sensor will be located after the cat converter.
    S Swann