Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Accessories

Comments

• jayhawkjayhawk Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a new EX-V6 Accord in the Phoenix area, but I wasn't happy with the stock 16" wheels. I was able to buy ($500) new Acura TL 17" wheels and tires from the local Acura dealership, fresh off a new car. They are also selling my original honda wheels on Ebay for me. I think they really look nice, especially with the 45mm offset. It was a pretty good deal, the tires alone are worth $500.
  • davegod75davegod75 Member Posts: 48
    That is incredible deal. You said they are going to sell your old wheels for you on ebay?
      this sounds odd.

Did you know some guy at the dealership for something?
    Yeah, I was a concerned at first, I had never met the parts manager before, but he seemed sincere. Maybe its because we get our MDX serviced there? They all seemed very nice and helpful. Anyway, it was a fun experience, most of the service techs were swarming my Accord, just to see the car with TL wheels on it. The car rides a little firmer, but not rough and it most defintely corners better.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    A number of folks on another board have done that, but the big concern is the quality of the stock TL Rubber and the wieght of the new install. They look good, but better tires are one option to consider and from a performance standpoint, the stock TL rims will slow you down.
  • daveinphoenixdaveinphoenix Member Posts: 5
    I am probably getting a EX-V6 w/Nav and I realize their immobilizer security so you can't start it without the coded key.

But I am looking for a sercurity system to prevent breaking in, set off alarm if someone would bust our the window or try the door handle? ..etc with a flashing red light easily seen to know its armed like I currently have in my 98 Buick Regal.

Any wisdom, suggestions or experiences appreciated. I am not mechanical so would not try and self install but don't see it as any Honda Option.
    When I bought my EX V6, the dealer (finance guy) tried to charge us $499 for a code alarm. I didn't really want it, said it would cost him $20 to have it removed, so the price dropped to $279. I still refused, he made a quick call (wink wink) and the code alarm was removed. I don't know how effective it would have been, I don't even know if there was ever another alarm in the car, it was all pretty shady...
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    What is a code alarm?
  • luvmyaccord5spluvmyaccord5sp Member Posts: 61
    I would like to pass along some knowledge that I have gained @ some expense... (my car has been broken into twice)

The guys who broke in the first time knew some Accords came with stock alarms. They smashed the passenger window (in front of my house) which made almost no noise and climbed in. By doing this they are able to bypass almost all alarm systems by NOT opening the door. If you have an after market system it may or may not pick up the vibrations from them climbing in.
    The second time same thing (different guys I hope) happened but I had an internal motion sensor that triggered my new alarm. My alarm paged me and I came running. This time they popped the hood and cut the battery in the hopes of turning off the alarm. It worked. and no one looked out. HOWEVER this time I got 'em!

Honda has a great immobilizer built in to the Accord. Hands down. This will seriously hamper any ones efforts to start your car without the key. Getting an alarm is a must if you are worried about paying for damage to your car from thieves trying to steal, or gut it. The blinking light does help to an extent because some thieves still try even if there is an immobilizer :(

I would seriously consider a 2 way alarm (it's what I have) that will page you (within a certain distance of your car) if there is a problem. Thieves tend not to like these because some agree owner may be on their way! Also in this day and age most people ignore alarm sirens. Getting a back-up battery is also very important as well as a motion sensor.

Most thieves know people go with the basics and know how to get around them. If you are going to do it, do it right otherwise it may be a waist of money :) Don't go with the store/guy that just quotes you. Go with the shop that tells you what you are getting and what it does/doesn't protect you from! Get them to walk you through the weaknesses of the system and then YOU decide if it is worth spending more money. All systems are weak, it's just an issue of how weak and shops don't like to tell you that.
  • akingsfanakingsfan Member Posts: 14
    Nice pics...thanks. It's 106 degrees here in Sacramento. I won't be waiting much longer to get my windows tinted!!! I'm sure that as long as I can get a guarantee (from a reputable company that won't go out of business tomorrow), I'll be fine. I just see a lot of tint jobs that bubble, and it just makes me cringe! Thanks again, steven5.
    I believe that code alarm is a brand of alarm, like viper...
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    If I am not mistaken all EX Accords come with a glass breakage alarm. Honda's website shows a security system as standard on th EX and if my memory of the owner's manual is correct it senses if there is glass breakage.
  • steven5steven5 Member Posts: 17
    I've seen the bubble problems as well. In my experience that happens when you've got someone doing the job themselves in the driveway and doesn't do a very good job.

I have also invested in a sun shade for the front window. Whether your in Houston or Sacremento, it is gonna get hot in the car regardless of the tint or anything else you might use. The sun shade will also help you in that it will prevent your steering wheel and controls on your armrest from getting so hot you can't touch them.

I don't know if it is still necessary to worry about the dash boards in newer cars cracking and coming apart like they used to do on older cars from exposure to sunlight and heat. But, the sunshade is my extra insurance to prevent that from happening in my car.

The shades I like the best are the type that fold down into a neat little circle when not in use and pop open like a can of worms when you open them. Takes about 5 seconds to use them. I use it even if I'm just going into the store for a few minutes.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get it done.

Regards
  • amstelamstel Member Posts: 8
    Anyone has experience of a Viper 350HV security system on a 04 Accord? It can be installed by Bestbuy, but I have no idea whether it is compatible with 04 Accord. It also has keyless entry function, but I don't want it to affect the Accord's own keyless entry system.

Thanks a lot.
  • hondaonlyhondaonly Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Sorry about the late reply. I asked family, friends and some car dealers & chose the shop that uses Formulaone product and in business for over 10years. I paid $215 for which $50 for 2front windows w/ UVshield & $165 for all back windows w/ classic 20 and got lifetime Warranty. I am happy with the quality of job and planning to take my parents car for tinting next month. I don't know I can give the shop name here because of the Rules of the Road.
    See you around.
  • luvmyaccord5spluvmyaccord5sp Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone own a Blue 4 door 03 that has been tinted? If so can you e-mail me pic's of it? Send 'em to: drazutis@hotmail.com

I am looking to do my whole car but I am not too sure how tint will look on the ride. Any help would be great!
  • dv8eddv8ed Member Posts: 17
    Can a factory Nav be installed on a 2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 that was purchases without NAV?

Will the voice recognition and everything else work the same?

Can it be done to be integrated with all the buttons in the car?
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    It can be done, but you'll need to change the whole center piece of the dash (running from the head unit to the leading edge of the windshield) to have the info panel. The mic, if I'm not mistaken, is to be installed in the overhead maplight cluster. It's almost certainly an expensive upgrade if a low-priced salvaged unit is unavailable.

I can see the technology evolving to a must-have for consumers if the Garmin Streetpilot III I got for the family is to be any gauge.

If you're open to aftermarket units, consider the Garmin products, Streetpilot III, 2610, Quest and the PDA-based Ique. They're priced between $500-$800 and can be used in multiple cars. Though not voice-interactive, they have voice guidance.
  • sprincesprince Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a way to increase the "giddy up" in my '02 Accord. What would be the top 3 things you would do and, what type of cost am I looking at? I want to make the car quicker without going crazy on a great engine!
  • dmertdmert Member Posts: 19
    I had Formula One installed on my 2003 Accord Coupe. Some special dealers handle a ceramic version called pinnacle. Because it is not a metal film it does not interfere at all with the radio reception. Lifetime warranty, but it is more expensive. Had a Viper alarm also installed. Works great but I gave up some features that the Honda has. I cannot power down the windows from outside the car. I still have the big key and sometimes will press one of those buttons, causing the alarm to go off. In order to get a better insurance rate, you have to use the autolock feature. The new vipers will lock and set the alarm, even if the door is open. Gets to be a pain when gassing up. Purpose is to set the alarm in case you accidently forget to close the door properly.
  • keikei Member Posts: 1
    Just brought an '04 Accord Sedan EX. Is there an alarm compatible with the 04 Accord security key (which has chip in it)? I am considering the Vipor (had in my previous car) but want to use the Accord remote functions on the key with the alarm.
  • dmertdmert Member Posts: 19
    I had my alarm put in, around Feburuary. I looked and looked. Even sent e-mail to a couple of companies. The answer is no. I did not fine anybody to match the key. The chip inside the Honda key is very secure. You cannot clone the key. If you get another key, it has to be programmed to the computer by Honda service.
  • cardreamscardreams Member Posts: 18
    hi I just bought an accord ex v6 with navi. I was wondering if I should get an alarm installed ? Or what other security features should I consider ?
    What kind of alloy wheels should I get and where can I get it from ?- meaning the honda dealer or any car service center ?
    Ehat is the best step one can take against theft of your car ?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    cardreams:

Your "alarm" question can only be answered based upon where you normally park your vehicle. Do you normally frequent "safe" neighborhoods? Do you park indoors? Outdoors?

Probably the best step one can take against theft is a fuel cutoff device. Such devices permit a stolen car to be driven only a block or two before the motor quits. The thief will just abandon the car in frustration. Only YOU will know where the switch to turn the fuel flow back on is located.

I'm surprised by your "alloys" question. I believe that all 2004 EX V6 Accords come factory-equipped with 16" alloy wheels. It would appear that you already own four of them.
  • dericoderico Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I am going to purchase an accord coupe and would like to add an mp3 player such as a phatbox to the car - anyone here done this & what brand/model did you use? where'd you have it located? how's it work with the honda stereo? Thanks!
  • spider13spider13 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everybody. I'm the proud owner of a 2004 Accord EX-V6, and have enjoyed the car immensely so far. I've always had winter tires on separate rims, and am looking for some advice.

I usually just get standard steel rims, but would like to get something a bit nicer looking than the standard black. I wondered if the 16" steel wheels fitted to the Honda Pilot would fit my Accord. They appear to have the same bolt pattern, but I don't know about offset, and if there would be clearance issues with the brakes.

Anybody have some thought about this?
    When looking at aftermarket rims you need to look for a wheel with the bolt pattern 5x114.3 and that comes with a wheel offset between 42mm and 50mm. Do not go below 42mm or above 50mm on wheel offset.

Check out http://www.handa-accessories.com/ for some good deals on rims. My 17's were on sale and I bought one for a full size spare!
  • iriemoniriemon Member Posts: 4
    Have an '03 Accord Sedan that does not have steering wheel controls...is it possible to add this? Can I buy aftermarket parts and have them installed? Is it complicated/expensive? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
  • rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    I am not positive, but I believe the steering wheel controls only work with the stereos that have the 6-disk CD changer. You would have to change the stereo, maybe the climate control/stereo face (this is separate from the stereo), and add the controls to the steering wheel.

You may also have to change some of the wiring. I would assume the wiring harness at the steering wheel is universal, but I don't know about the wiring harness at the stereo.

You might ask a dealer if this is a simple or complicated job. Remeber that you can do anything you want--as long as you have the time and the money.
    I went to the local Acura dealership and purchased the 17in TL wheels and tires for $500 installed on my 04 Accord V6. They had 250 miles on them, so they couldn't be sold as new. I like the way it looks, and it provides a little firmer ride. I was able to sell my stock 16in wheels and tires on Ebay for $330.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    There's well-founded advice that the safe offset range is from +45mm to +55mm, where +55mm is the factory offset. One Honda enthusiasts' forum has members posting the offset values of their aftermarket rims, and gleaning from their experiences, offset outside of the aforesaid range causes fender/brake caliber rubbing.

Personally, I got the 17" TSX rims (+55mm) for my 03 V6 coupe to minimize any issues with fender contact and premature suspension wear & tear.
  • spider13spider13 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information on offset tlauro and atlantabenny. But I am still not sure about the Pilot's 16" steel wheels, that they put on the LX. Does anybody know if its offset falls into the range mentioned above, such that I could use it as a winter rim?
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I would check the TireRack site. They are helpful.
  • gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    Does anyone have pictures of their '03 - '04 Accord with the dark grey 17" rims and tires that are on the www.handa-accessories.com website? The rims that I was interested in was the first tire and wheel package deal that you come to when you scroll down. The rims are grey, 5-spoke, 17" rims with the tires already mounted and balanced on the rims. They sell for $1,440.19 with the chrome center cap for four wheels. Are they heavier or lighter than the current EX V6 wheels?
  • steven5steven5 Member Posts: 17
    Unless you just have to have honda brand wheels, I think you would do much better and spend a lot less money buying similiar rims from somewhere else.

As an example I bought an after-market rim and tire package for $838.00 (no taxes because purchase was out of state and over the internet. Shipping was included). Wheels and tires came mounted, balanced and ready to put on the car. I then sold my original wheels and tires on Ebay for $400.

The rims you'll see in the pictures weigh 20 lbs apiece if I remember correctly. They are 17' rims with 50 series Falken tires. The wheels are very good quality and I have no regrets in purchasing them.

I never did think to find out how much the original steel wheels wieghed or how much the alloy Honda wheels wiegh either. If anyone knows I'd be interested to know the specs.

The style of wheels your interested in can certainly be found in any number of places for much cheaper I would bet.

I'd post the link to the website for the wheels but I'm not sure if the forum rules allow that.

Here are links to pictures of my car with new wheels.

http://groups.msn.com/2004AccordLX/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&- amp;PhotoID=1

http://groups.msn.com/2004AccordLX/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&- amp;PhotoID=2

http://groups.msn.com/2004AccordLX/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&- amp;PhotoID=3

http://groups.msn.com/2004AccordLX/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&- amp;PhotoID=5
    Nice wheels. Makes me want to change out the stock wheels on mine.
    for a slight drop and some 18"s.

• aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Will the 17" wheels from an Acura TL fit on the Accord? How about centercaps?

What effect will I notice in terms of performance?
    The TL wheels will fit, but keep in mind the rubber isn't going to yield much better performance and they are heavy for a 17" Wheel.

I'd go for a lighter wheel and a performance tire.
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Thanks. I was mainly looking at a way to get a new set of tires for cheap. EBAY has people selling new tires and wheels from the TL for $450 or so, plus shipping. FOr $550 I could have a new set of tires plus 17" wheels. Tires for the std 16" rims at Discount Tire would cost me at least $450 installed. I'll pass since you say that the TL rims are heavier, I'm driving the I-4 (manual) so I'd rather not suck more power away by using heavier wheels.

-
  • bluedblued Member Posts: 7
    I have an 04 EX-V6 and was considering getting the exhaust trim to get it to stand out a bit and jazz it up. Unfortunately I don't think I've seen a single Accord with the exhaust trim so I was wondering if anyone had that installed on theirs and what they thought. If anyone has picture to share that'd be great as well.

Also, I am not the handiest person, but this seems to be fairly easy install. Yes/No?
  • snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    I installed the exhaust tips and thinks it really looks great. I am not much for the useless spoilers, etc. but thought the tips, mudflaps and door edge guards looked good and were no problem to install. Just be careful not to overtighten and crush the tailpipe while installing. Directions give a torque spec, but a torque wrench is near impossible to get in position there.
  • michaelwmichaelw Member Posts: 2
    I would like to install a 1.25" hitch on my Accord 4-door 2004.

It will be used for a hitch-mounted bike carrier.

I have looked at Hidden-Hitch, UHaul, etc..

Any ideas on which is best?

Also, the only tool listed on the www.hiddenhitch.com website that I do not have is a 100-lb torque wrench -- how important is this tool? Will a regular wrench be an acceptable substitute? Or should I just pay someone to install a hitch?

Thanks for any advice!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Also, the only tool listed on the www.hiddenhitch.com website that I do not have is a 100-lb torque wrench -- how important is this tool?

If they are telling you to use a torque wrench they must have a concern with regards to the proper tightness of the bolts. Remember, you are attaching something to your car that can come loose and fall off while driving. It is your responsibility to ensure proper installation. I'm a little sensitive about it as my car was hit by an improperly installed tire off another car at highway speeds.

That being said, try calling your local hardware store/rental center. I used to rent a torque wrench for about $12/day before I bought one.
  • jomabu1jomabu1 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone had a clear bra installed or priced for the Accord? I was quoted $695 inc tax for a product called LLumar my coupe. Also has anyone had any experience with window tinting by LLumar?
    My quote for the window tinting was $229 another $70 dollars for metallic.

Can the day/night mirror be installed on the 6 spd manual coupe? My dealer said no but they also said there weren't any body side moldings for the coupe.

I was about to install the mud guards but was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the mud guards rubbing the paint off? If so what did you do to protect the paint?

Thanks
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    This is an illegal post and it will end up being deleted. You can't attach a link on this board for an advertisement. And this stuff is joke! Anyone who would pay a 100 bucks for high-tech wax is very gullible! There are plenty of proven products out there that actually work for under 15 bucks.
    Clear Bra's...search and you'll see many replies...mainly mine :) $695 is a bit steep. for the Front nose...about $375....entire nose and hood no more than $450.

I have plenty of experience and a great installer....which is the key. He covers my warranty needs and has even replaced the entire thing for no charge due to some damage to it from a large object hitting my car. Again, get a good installer and no more than the above.
    tlauro,

Thanks for your post I was wondering if you think installing one is realtively straight forward process. I found a place that sells the kit for $250 for a do it yourselfer. Another local place will do it for $500 installed.

Thanks for your input,
    Jomabu1
  • nfjimcnfjimc Member Posts: 21
    Was wondering if anyone has run a wire/cable from inside the car through the firewall to the engine compartment? I'm trying to find a way to get to the battery so I can connect directly to it for some power. Thanks.
    I'd definitely say don't do a clear bra install yourself. It's not easy and if you get a good installer, you'll know it. Many, many folks that have seen my cars with it on there are those that have tried to do it themselves and come to compare mine to theirs. Not one has said they would do it again or felt the two compared.

$500 should cover the entire front end. The hood...rolls are 18"...I have the first 18" done. The space between the headlights and hood....custom cut...not expensive to have the installer do. The rest of the front/bumper is a one piece install...very seemless and worth the $385 it alone should cost.

I would also negotiate having your mirrors done for that price. Custom cuts are pretty easy for a good installer to do. I have my A pillars, door handle cups and rear bumper by the trunk done too.
    Thanks tlauro,

The price includes the hood, door edges, mirrors, and front bumper. The product isn't from 3m. Llumar is the brand. I guess they also do glass tinting. Tried the 3m site to find a dealer but all the names were old and none were open in my town. The one installer that was still in business now carried the Llumar brand.

Thanks for all the info,
    Jomabu1
This discussion has been closed.