Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    terriltterrilt Member Posts: 10
    Libertyinct--I too had the serpentine belt crack and fray away at about 15,000 miles. The dealership said it wasn't the belt in and of itself, but rather a defective idler pulley that caused the belt to fray. This may or may not be a universal problem with the Liberty.

Montsue--As to the power steering fluid leak, you may have the same problem I had. The power steering fluid pump was bad and had to be replaced.

Both of the above problems occurred within a couple of months of each other and had me wondering for a while if this vehicle was going to be a service nightmare. Luckily I haven't had any problems since and am now sitting at about 26,000 miles.

By the way, I'm driving a 2002 Liberty Limited Edition.
  • Options
    w4taw4ta Member Posts: 3
    Any thoughts or similar experiences on the following? Purchased a new 2003 Liberty Limited 4x4. When reversing up a small incline from a standstill (for instance, a driveway), the car "stammers", for lack of a better term. With light accelerator, the car pushes and lags a little bit (which it never does on flats). I previously owned a 4x4 Trooper and never experieced this. Could this be a transmission problem or an idling issue? Thanks.
  • Options
    littestlittest Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up my Jeep Liberty and am thrilled with it! I have developed a problem though. When I back it out of the garage and turn it left so that I can turnaround to drive it out of the driveway, there is what appears to be a "rubbing" noise (fairly loud) that seems to be coming from the back. It doesn't sound like a tire hitting -- it's more like a dull metal sound. When I put it in "Drive" and go about 50' forward, it stops. Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be? I sure would appreciate your input!
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Doesn't matter if its in drive or reverse, when I start the car and go, I hear a rubbing noise for a few seconds and then it stops. It think it's coming from the rear passenger side. It seems to happen a lot more when it is raining or damp outside. I have an 01/03 build.

Jon
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    Is this after releasing the parking break?
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Can't remember if I had parking brake on before it's happened. It's not something that happens often. Next time it rains, I'll leave parking brake off and see if it does it. Other than that, awesome truck except for occasional bad wind noise over 50 mph.
  • Options
    littestlittest Member Posts: 7
    I typically don't use the parking brake. The noise usually occurs after the car has been in the garage overnight or has not been used for several hours. I've tried putting the brake on and then releasing it to see if that would do anything, but it didn't.
  • Options
    The reason I ask is that it is common on all makes for the parking brake to stick for a bit.
  • Options
    Check out this site with the picture of the Liberty.

www.theptking.com
  • Options
    ladylibertyladyliberty Member Posts: 24
    Hi, I haven't been here in awhile so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this problem. I have a white 2002 Limited w/23,000 miles it. On the rims where they meet the quarter panels there seems to be a yellowish film I cannot get off. I also have noticed little rust looking spots on both sides from front to back and was wondering if something like brake fluid etc could be leaking and splashing back. If I use a bug and tar remover and rub hard they do come off. This is just very annoying. So I thought I would ask if anyone with a white Liberty is having any strange problems with the paint? I plan to have it looked at concerning the film on rims. Other than these two things everything has been great!
    Thanks
  • Options
    rock1rock1 Member Posts: 12
    I had a white 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited which also developed the yellow and spots. Nothing wrong with the paint. You have to keep up with the cleaning to stay ahead of these problems.
    Bug and tar remover does work best.
    After a good cleaning apply a premium wax.
  • Options
    althorralthorr Member Posts: 1
    Our 2003 Liberty is making a noise between 5 and 10 mph, usually when braking and turning at the same time, but sometimes just braking. It doesn't do it at higher speeds, and not all the time. It's a low pitched metal squeal. Neither rain or dust seems to make a differance. It has slightly over 3000 miles. It sounds like to noise is coming from drivers side, but I can't tell if it's front or back. It does have 4-wheel disc brakes.

Has anyone else experinced this problem or heard of it?

Thanks!
  • Options
    yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 1
    I had a metal on metal sound coming out from the driver side dashboard before. I opened the hood while the engine was running and zeroed in on a missing bolt that was supposed to lock in a metal bracket near where they usually install an alarm's horn. Check for missing screws in that general area, thats where I found where the noise was coming from and was able to fix it myslef.

hope this helps
  • Options
    libertyfllibertyfl Member Posts: 6
    This noise you are hearing is the exact noise and situation I was having. It is your differential......There is a plate in there that needs to be fixed . I just had my local dealer fix it under warranty. I have a 2001 Limited. Get it checked.
  • Options
    Limited Cherokee? 2002 was the first year for the Liberty.
  • Options
    Sorry i bought it 2001 , it is a jeep Liberty Limited
  • Options
    cdn4cdn4 Member Posts: 1
    I was supposed to pick up my new Liberty today and was informed by the salesman that they couldn't install the cruise option as that vehicle didn't have the plug?? He went on to say that supposedly some of the units coming off the line did not have them? Now he is saying that I could take the vehicle and whenever Chrysler invents this part they would install it for me? Here's the catch, the dealer forgot to charge me for the cruise option and was forced to throw it in. Sounds like they want the deal to go sideways... Has anyone ever heard of this claim?What should I do?
  • Options
    As a dealer myself I know exactly what happened. when they ordered it, they forgot to include cruise control and now they are scrambling to install it after the fact. Every once in a while there is a glitch on OEM accessories and they have found it. Now they are just trying to stall you out until they can either come up with another vehicle or find the solution to the one that came in.

My advice...call their bluff and demand the vehicle now or else you are going someplace else.
  • Options
    drcelsodrcelso Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited that I purchased in August 2001 and have 18,000 miles on it. In July 2002, the dealer replaced all my wheels due to corrosion along the outer edge and middle of all wheels. They replaced all 4 wheels with the exact same kind--a whatda know, they're corroding again. The rep said that he couldn't replace them because something like "that's what happens to them." I'm obviously not satisfied. Noticed that the wheels have changed on the 2003 Liberty's and they look to be of higher quality. Anyone out there have this problem or have any advice?
  • Options
    What wheels do you currently have and where do you live?

I purchased a set of the 16" chrome rims and am having slight corrosion problems myself. In the warranty book, Chrysler states that they are not responsible for corrosion that happens from salt, chemicals or other environmental factors. As a result, I have been fighting with the factory myself.
  • Options
    drcelsodrcelso Member Posts: 4
    I live in NH and have the standard limited chrome wheels. I noticed the corrosion in about february '03--probably due to salt...Being a fanatic about keeping my vehicle free of salt in winter, seems that the wheels should not start corroding the first winter they go through.
  • Options
    it seems that all of my corrosion happens at the point where the wheels and the spokes come together. Other than that they are problem free.
  • Options
    klbrmbklbrmb Member Posts: 41
    We live in Northern Ohio and had a 02 Limited purchased in July 01 (just traded in on an 03). After the first winter we noticed this and promptly notified the dealer who replaced them. They had never seen it before so we assumed it was a one time deal until the rims did it again the next winter. :( We brought it to their attention again and they said they would replace again but we traded it in before then. My recommendation is to take it to another dealer or start raising h#$!. We found the when we started to mention we were taking it to another dealer for service and making frequent complaints things got fixed. They may not like us much but I really don't care, the car got fixed. Ah! the power of a bad survey. And I thought those things didn't matter. :)
  • Options
    motion26motion26 Member Posts: 8
    Whenever I run the AC it sounds like you can hear the processor or whatever it is called cycling. It is extremely loud and happens every minute or so sometimes every 20 seconds. It even seems to vibrate the car a little. Anyone have these problems or is this normal running of the AC.
  • Options
    Do you have a V6 or the 2.4L?
  • Options
    motion26motion26 Member Posts: 8
    v6, don't know if ur askin me
  • Options
    ihatejeepsihatejeeps Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep Liberty has been in the shop three times for a rear end noise. The Tuscaloosa Dealer tells me the water puddle in my yard is getting the jeep wet and causes the noise. I must have the only fair weather,smooth road vehicle.
    Thank God it came with a free bicycle.
  • Options
    arthoundjeeparthoundjeep Member Posts: 4
    This is my first time posting on your site. I have read all previous posts and see many that are similar to the problem I am having with my liberty sport. I have 3500 miles and an awful grinding noise at 45-50mph as well as a shudder in the transmission when coming to a stop. The dealership is trying to be helpful and find the problem. They are sure it is in the transmission and have already replaced the pump and reprogrammed the computer. Nothing has helped. I have been jeepless for 25 total days in the past 6 months of ownership. The dealer mechanic wants to put in a new transmission but chrysler won't provide the parts. Are these issues to be expected over the future of the car? Or am I just a lucky winner of a lemon?
  • Options
    I had a problem with mine and it was a problem with the carrier plate in the diferental. So i would tell your dealer about this since this was a problem with other jeeps i heard.
  • Options
    jeeplib75jeeplib75 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2003 Jeep Liberty. The malfunction indicator light has be on since about mile 80. I have taken it to the dealership, and they say it's something to do with the transmission modulator. What is this and what could be wrong with it?
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    what fix was this for? the grinding or the shudder?

my 02 liberty has a jerking in the rear end when I slow down. happens as the speedometer is about 20mph upon slowing. was this your problem?
  • Options
    The problem with my transmission was finally identified by chrysler. It turns out they were aware of this problem for some time and are currently working on the "fix" . The replacement of the pump was only part of it. They also are currently working on rewritting a computer program that will be available at the end of august.

My dealership stood up for me and said no dice. They fought to get chrysler to buy my lovely lemon back and I am now in the midst of a 5 day test drive with the '03 freedom edition. Which was out 2 months after I purchased mine and a constant pinch when I walked past it in the show room while my original sport was having all of it's issues. So in the end I am very pleased with the second chance at a dream jeep. I am sad about loosing my FIRST JEEP:(
     If anyone is having this or a similar problem with their transmission in the '03 liberty they should take it in to the dealership right away. Mine started at 2000 miles and was a light shudder when turning and stopping. This progressed into a shudder when stopping at lights. It would happen right before the car came to a complete stop. As time went on it began shifting hard and shuddering at 45-50mph. The last time I drove it it had a new metal on metal grinding at this speed to accompany the shudder. The problem would happen after driving for 45 minutes plus. I hope this helps anyone out there who is feeling this same thing and not getting the necessary answers from their dealer mechanic. The memo from chrysler to the dealers came out on Thursday 7/31/03 if that helps them locate the e-mail.

My only concern now is getting to 2000 miles with the new freedom edition. I have my fingers crossed that the same problem doesn't show it's ugly head again. I am loving the tough look of the Freedom ED.
  • Options
    mnjeepgirlmnjeepgirl Member Posts: 2
    So what did they do with your Jeep? I just bought a 2003 Liberty Sport - it only has 1,500 miles on it and it started doing the shuttering as I started coming to a stop. That's what brought me to this board. So dealerships are aware of the problem? HELP! thx...
  • Options
    this has to do with the grinding in the rear end . The carrier plate is in your differential ....your rear axle. My used to make noise when i backed up and made turns ??? This fixed the problem....
  • Options
    mnjeepgirlmnjeepgirl Member Posts: 2
    What year is your Liberty? I just called my dealership and they said that that problem happened with 2002's and I have a 2003. I wonder if it's something else? I'll have to bring it in. What did they do to fix yours?

Mine makes noises when I back up and when I'm slowing down, kind of like a grinding noise. Does that sound like your symptoms? I don't get that noise when I make turns. At least not yet :(
  • Options
    mnjeepgirl,
    My problem was not a sound in the beginning but a feeling. It felt as if the breaks were grabbing and letting go repeatedly. It was actually the transmission not the breaks. My dealership said it was the transmission slipping when going into gear. They talked with the engineer at DC and was told to replace the pump first. This didn't work and now they are waiting on the program upgrade from DC. This program won't be out until the end of august. The service department won't be able to find the problem with any computer programs run and it won't show up on the diagnostic tests. I wish it did. I would demand to have your mechanic call the engineer at DC and talk to them about it. They should have the same info from the head office that my dealership received. I hope they can find the problem, it took having the head mechanic drive my jeep home and to work for a week to feel what I was talking about. Best of luck!
  • Options
    onnyonny Member Posts: 1
    We bought a Liberty Sport(in Europe still named Cherokee)in January 2002 and we have been having some problems. We would like to know if anyone else has the same issues.

Issue 1: The cloth upholstery is not impregnated so it absorbs all liquids immidiately. This something strange for a car like this. Our dealer and the importer are looking into the matter at the moment. If we can get more people with the same issue, we can try to get it solved by DaimlerChrysler.

Issue 2: The lock of the trunck gets stuck regularly. A dog in the trunck that won't open , is not very pleasant. Every time we take the car to the dealer, it works perfectly. It's hard to convince them that the problem is real. Does anyone recognize thise?

Greetings from Holland
  • Options
    I have a 2002 jeep.....I was told this problem was fixed with the jeep Cherokee ?????? So I would ask some more.
  • Options
    mpfafmpfaf Member Posts: 2
    Has Anyone attended a JEEP Route 2003 Road Trip event? I'm scheduled to attend one at the Aurora Airport in Sugar Grove Illinois on 8/16/03. It looks like a fun filled event but I would like to hear a few testimonials if possible.

Thanks from a Chicago area liberty owner.
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    I am hearing a noise - it sounds like something rubbing against something - when I take off from a dead stop and am turning at the same time. It doesn't happen when I am going straight - just when I am turning either in forward or reverse from a stop. It doesn't sound like metal grinding - it's more of a sound of something rubber or plastic rubbing against something.

Anyone have anything similar to this??
  • Options
    jeepspazjeepspaz Member Posts: 21
    I have a '03 Sport with 6K. When the jeep sits for several hours, when you first move it and apply the brakes it makes a loud, resonating, woooooooo sound. However, and this is where the fun starts as the dealer can never duplicate the problem, once you drive it for a little, and apply the breaks, it does not make the sound any more. I have been back to the dealer, they were able to finally hear the problem and did, and I quote, "Major sanding!", not sure if it was the brakes or drums. Anyway, 2 weeks after this, it happened again. Anyone having this same problem or any suggestions/solutions?

Other than this repeating woooooooo problem, I love my jeep, despite its thirst for gas and would not give it up for anything in the world.

JeepSpaz!
  • Options
    I had this same thing with my 2002 limited edition liberty. I took it to the dealer and it is the carrier plate in your differential.....your rear axle they put in a new carrier plate and this noise went away...so i would have this checked out ......Libertyfl....
  • Options
    elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Looking for comments from current owners...I hear that gas mileage is a problem for some owners.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • Options
    lmpjeeplmpjeep Member Posts: 2
    I have around 22,000 miles on my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited and was told that I will need to replace the front brakes at my next oil change. Does this sound right? I don't remember having to get new brakes so soon in other vehicles I've owned. Thanks! LMP
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    That does sound a little premature for new brakes. I had a ford escape and put 50K before new brakes and 80K before brakes on my honda accord. I must say that I put 55K on my 98 JGC before it needed brakes but from reading others posts i seem to be in the minority as most had to change brake pads much sooner. Maybe its just my driving habits also and more highway miles than most. If you do more stop and go driving this could be a reason for needing brakes this soon.
  • Options
    furious70furious70 Member Posts: 1
    the Liberty is substantially heavier than the Chero, this could cause faster tire/brake wear.

We've had a vibration problem from day 1 with our 03 sport v6/auto/4wd. At first it was at about 50mph and decelerating, vibration from the rear that resonated very loudly inside, more resonance than actual vibration actually. Give the gas just a tiny touch and it would go away (taking up slack in the pinion?) At 800mi they put a whole new rear end assembly in the Lib. That was good for about 2000mi, then it started the same vibration but on acceleration at the same speeds. They put ANOTHER rear in, that one was bad from the start. They also balance/rotated the tires and put 3 set of drive shafts in (driveshafts for 04 models are different to fix _something_, but will not work in an 03)
    They just replaced the ring and pinion after trying to set the differential up on the ends of the spec ranges, in the middle, etc. Through that adjusting they were able to move the vibration from acel to decel and back, but not stop it. The new ring and pinion has not completely solved it, but seems to have made it some better. It also seems the longer you drive, the worse it'll get.

Before we bought the Lib we almost bought a 99-01 Chero, and it seemed to me on those trucks that they all vibrated at about 45mph when accelling up to highway speeds. Is this a common Jeep problem with the venerable 8 1/4 rear end?
  • Options
    anglerfanglerf Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Jeep Liberty was purchased in November of 2001. On my way to a relative's auto emergency in January of 2002 the transmission blew a seal between the transfer case and the transmission. It took a day to repair. During the spring of 2003 I noticed the transmission hard shifting on an incline, up or down hill. I had 35,000 miles on the vehicle and it was still under warranty. I purchased the vehicle when a rebate or an extended 100,000 mile warranty was offered. I took the extended warranty. Either way I'm covered. I took the vehicle in and the dealership I purchased it from said the seals needed to be replaced. They keep it six days. The next weekend I needed the 4x4 drive and discovered it was disengaged. Another trip to the dealership. Two weeks later I was headed to a business engagement about 30 miles from my office. During the trip I noticed the vehicle wasn't maintaining a set speed will engaged in cruise as it normally did and it started hard shifting again around 30 to 45 miles per hour. Then the High Temp Transmission light came on. Bottom line the transmission failed and its been at the next town's dealership for the past two weeks awaiting shipped parts. Bottom line,I perceive the the Jeep Liberty may have chronic transmission problems and maybe a recall is warranted. I've seen several post on this web-sight regarding similar transmission problems, but not enough to warrant a recall. Does any one else feel the same way?
  • Options
    budgilbbudgilb Member Posts: 2
    My jeep was making a grinding noise at slow sharp turns. The dearler replaced the carrier
    bearing. Two days later it started a thumping noise. Now the dealer is replacing the
    rear axle. My jeep has 34,000 mile on it. I will be trading after this repair
  • Options
    crawlincrawlin Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 03 liberty with the same exact problem as "jeepspaz"! Has there been any further development on that topic because it's just about to drive me nuts. They have incorrectly diagnosed the problem (4) times now, everything from sanding to replacing the rotors! The more miles I put on, the more annoying the noise becomes. Is there any relief in site?
  • Options
    frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    I have a somewhat rough idle in a 03 new Liberty. Anyone else have this issue?

Frank
This discussion has been closed.