Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Have you ever been a passenger in the Liberty when these "problems" occurred? Has anyone at all (other than your daughter) witnessed them? Was it raining when she hit the fence? So she was traveling at 15 mph, hit the brakes, and STILL had enough momentum to swerve off the road and hit a fence? How many accidents has your daughter been involved in-Liberty and non-Liberty? Is she in the assigned risk insurance pool? Did she decide that she no longer likes the Lib and wants something else-but found out that she is upside down in the Jeep? It sounds like driver error to me.
  • Options
    hokie76hokie76 Member Posts: 3
    Answers to div2's questions:
    There are not ABS brakes on this Jeep Liberty. They are disc.

We have been in the Liberty with our daughter when she had this problem. We were pulling into a parking space at a restaurant.

Yesterday when she had this problem, it was not raining, it did not go off the side of the road, it went straight into a fence right beside the driveway.

For your information, our daughter has been driving for 6 years and has no tickets nor has she been involved in any wrecks! Don't assume that since she's our daughter she's a young teenager with little or no driving experience.

That was really a low question "Is she in the assigned risk insurance pool?"

She loves her Jeep and wants to keep it. She doesn't want something different. She got the vehicle she wants...sorry you can't get the one you seem to be dreaming of!!!

As far as your last statement, you could be wrong!!!
  • Options
    hokie76hokie76 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership told me today they are disc brakes, not ABS. How do you tell the difference? If I looked at them, could I tell? Oh well...it will all work out! Have a great weekend! Thanks again for your suggestions!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    libowners03libowners03 Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted you all who have 2003 Liberty transmission problems - thank you! I took printouts (several months ago) from this website to our lawyer that listed many people who complained of transmission malfunctions in the torque converter and/or transmission. Our torque converter failed at 300 miles, then again at 500 miles and the DM refused to authorize replacement. This was because the "problem could not be duplicated" when we drove it with her as a passenger. It would shudder so much that the keychain would jingle and the tach would wobble at around 45-55 MPH. She (the DM) called it "road noise"! So, we contacted a lawyer and what do you know? We have a new transmission! All the lawyer did was write a letter. We had already taken our vehicle to two transmission places and another Chrysler dealer. Now I drive it to work and wait for this next one to fail - and I have no doubt that it will...
  • Options
    sickofitsickofit Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems with my 2003 Jeep Liberty since the day I have owned it. I have had new brakes, new temp. sensor, new window control, new shocks, new brakes and other things. My Jeep is only 4 months old. My chief complaint the whole time has been that my Jeep pulls to the right. Constantly! I have had it aligned 4 times. The fourth time it finally did something. Now the steering is so tight I have to struggle to move it. The Jeep wears me out driving it. Now my tires are wore and the dealership says that that is my problem and I don't get new ones. This whole time I have been told that the pulling to the right was not a chief complaint with other Jeep dealers. I had my Jeep in the garage this week and they told me that nothing was wrong. I am sick of this vehicle and all the troubles that I have had. I am contemplating my next move.
  • Options
    Well, I must admit that my motley assortment of vehicles can't hold a candle to renegaded's exotic collection of thoroughbreds, though I've promised myself that-regardless of the economic sacrifice required-I WILL own a Neon someday. Sadly, I must also concede that I also lack rennie's intellectual depth, literary talent, and sophisticated incisive wit. That said, I'm certain that his extensive automotive experience and rapier-sharp deductive reasoning will solve your problem in no time at all. Me, I'm going to the local Dodge dealer to drool over a Neon I've had my eye on; maybe this week I'll even get to sit in it!!!
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Ignore the nasty Norfolk Island guy.

Good luck getting your daughter's Lib sorted out.
  • Options
    LOL! "nasty Norfolk Island guy"? Hey, I resemble that remark!!!
  • Options
    supersamsupersam Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new Jeep 15/9/03. We have since noticed a deep moaning/not squeal from the rear end on first movement, either forward or reverse, with or without touching the brakes, after it has sat for awhile. This only occurs for a a couple of times and then we are good till the next time she sits. We have had her at the dealer and they removed all wheels, and inspected braking system and found no problems there. However, also checked park brake assembly, finding an unusual surface pattern on park brake shoes, and cleaned and re surfaced them. Also told us to use park brake, as this would get rid of any moisture present. The noise is still there and was wondering if anyone has same problems and can help with the answer. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the brakes as it sounds like it is coming only from the rear passenger side. This is in 2wd. I love my Jeep and won't part with it but this has me a little worried, if anyone can help I would sure appreciate it. Thanks
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    I have had a similar problem but I notice the noise only when turning on first movement. I have had it to the dealership twice and it is still not fixed -- they are going to try again this week.
  • Options
    Private emailing doesn't help build the knowledge base here, even if some questions come up regularly.

Is this the morning rust problem I read about elsewhere?

Oh, and be sure to check out I don't like SUVs, why do you?, Renegaded. We'll wait for you to catch up in there, LOL.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    larry51klarry51k Member Posts: 35
    my wifes 02 liberty needs new wiper blades. i want to use winter blades. does anyone know if i must use the driver blade with the wind deflector ? ( i assume the deflector is meant to increase the pressure of the blade on the windshield). if i replace it with a winter blade minus the deflector will it work ok?
  • Options
    It will probably work fine; the only way to find out is to try it and see. My guess is that any problems would occur someplace north of 60 mph.
  • Options
    motion26motion26 Member Posts: 8
    Well after bring my car to the dealer to get new quiet break pads placed in the rear, I still get a loud screeching noise when I back out of the garage every morning. This is starting to piss me off. The dealer said these new quiet break pads would take care of the problem. This is getting to be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... we can find more appropriate ways of expressing displeasure and frustration on a family friendly site. :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    There's a recall in the news today (Toledo Blade). Watch your mail ('02 & '03 models).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    sals1sals1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure there is a simple answer to my question, or perhaps I am an idiot. Twice, after getting out of the car and leaving the keys in the ignition (I know, not a smart move anyway), I have had the doors automatically lock on my, thus leaving me out in the cold. As the previous owner of a Grand Cherokee with auto door locks, I found it impossible (or nearly so) to lock the keys in the car. Does anyone have any input?
  • Options
    kimberly10kimberly10 Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the sight and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one with a noise coming out of the back-end of my Liberty. I've brought it to more than one Jeep dealership in my area only to be told I'd have to live with it. If I wanted to look into it more I'd have to pay them to do it. That's so crazy because the car only has 9,000 miles on it. I finally gave up and resigned myself to hearing the 'moan' everytime I initially moved my vehicle. Today I called to schedule an oil change and the service dept asked if I was still having that "problem". They now have something to fix it. I'm not sure what it is but I haven't seen Jeep come out with any recall. Does anybody know what they found?
    I'd at least like an apology from Jeep for making me run around to 3 different dealers all of whom told me nothing was wrong.
    I'm so surprised to see so many others with the same problem.
    I go to the dealer on Friday and I'll get the scoop to pass on.
  • Options
    motion26motion26 Member Posts: 8
    Your gonna get their new quiet breakpads. I had these installed a couple of weeks ago. They worked for a few days, now the noise is louder than ever when I pull out in the morning. What a joke, this is getting ridiculous. I also have that crazy whining noise (vibration) from the front every now and than.
  • Options
    I don't think it's the brakes. I'll definitely make sure to ask what they're doing before they put new brake pads on.
    I was told by one dealer that it was moisture. I've read that on somebody else's posting. I don't know much about cars but I know that I'm not applying the brakes when that noise is made (most of the time).
    I did have a noise in my dashboard. It was a constant squeaking. The dealer finally found the problem. It was a wire that was rubbing up against some piece of plastic. It doesn't sound like what you're experiencing though.
    Hopefully, mine won't start doing what yours is doing now.
    I'll let you know what the dealer has to say on Friday afternoon.
    Thanks for your warning.
  • Options
    pic7072pic7072 Member Posts: 1
    I am an owner of 03 Liberty sport and have been experiencing serious problems with the vehicle. For the last three months or so it stalls out and "chokes" up on me. There is no rhyme or reason why it does it. I have had it to 3 dealers who say there's a problem but they don't know where to begin. Has anyone else had similar problems or does anyone have a suggestion?
  • Options
    marblemicahmarblemicah Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Liberty with 36,000 on it. I just had to have shoe to shoe springs replaced. Both were broken. car is not used offroad. I have also had to have radio replaced & transfer case replaced within last 6 months. My dealer says they don't know why springs would have both broken. Does anyone else have similar problems.
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    I took my Liberty to the dealership yesterday for the third time - They did not fix it the first two times. I think I am having the same problem you are - a rubbing or grinding noise in the rear end when slowly turning in forward or reverse. I took the technician for a ride and drove in tight circles in forward and reverse and you could definely hear the noise. When I called about the car yesterday afternoon, I was told that they would have to replace the whole rear end in the car. He said there were metal shavings in there. That's all I know right now. If it sounds like the same problem you are having, I will let you know more after I pick it up.
  • Options
    tutonictutonic Member Posts: 12
    I am suffering the same problems. I have a 2003 Liberty sport 4x4 and the apparent standard feature of break moan. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times. Once to be told nothing is wrong, second to have the new pads installed and third to have the emergency brake sanded. Still the noise remains. I have scheduled a meeting with the Chrysler Rep. because I am fed up with this. As far as I know brakes have been around for a few years and this problem is not limited to a couple of cars. I will be very interested to hear what the changing of the rear end does for your Liberty. The only other option if Jeep cannot fix this problem is the Lemon Law. I like my Liberty but I paid for a working one, so far in seven months of ownership it has been in the dealership eight times. Twice for a transmission pump, 3 times for sunroof problems and 3 times for "Break Moan". There are still few rattles that have appeared since then but the big problems first.
  • Options
    jeepspazjeepspaz Member Posts: 21
    Still happening to my Libby. I have not looked into the TSB with the dealer after reading some of the previous posts about it not fixing the problem. I have to visit my dealer next week for tire installs and will try and have a chat with the service manager.

To note though, the last time I took my jeep in for the brakes, they sanded something. In hind sight I should have gotten all the details, but it is less often then before. Maybe the brake pads or drums or something has to be sanded to paper thin proportions for the moaning to be taken away all together.

Sorry for not having anything good to add to the mix!

JS
  • Options
    chisoxjeeperchisoxjeeper Member Posts: 5
    My 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport now has 38,000 miles on it, and I have luckily not experienced any of the "issues" listed on this site. All I have had to do is change the oil, rotate the tires, and the other reccomended service. I am this weekend going to get the brakes looked at since I have a 4,000 mile road trip at the end of the month. No problems, but Id hate to get stuck in Kentucky, or Tennesee on the side of the road, or getting ripped off at a shop down there. Mine is a prelowered Liberty, but since it was built in early 2002 I know I will be involved in the recall for the ball joints. No problems with my suspension, but maybe I can get some new ball joints to replace ones with 40,000 miles by then. No problems with the transmission, or rear end either. I drive my vehicle hard, and enjoy going offroad and towing, so I think I have put this thing to the test. Like I said mines a 2002 black Sport, with pretty much every option except leather, didn't need that since the Jeep is for me not my wife. Overall a great vehicle with minimal issues. maybe the transmission and rear end issues stem from a switch in the parts from early 2002 to the cheaper versions appearing in later models.. Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    libertyinctlibertyinct Member Posts: 15
    Background:
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited with about 40K on it, and I had been noticing for a while now that my Liberty's handling wasn't what it used to be. There seemed to be a bit of a "wobble" in the wheels. I thought there might be some give in the front suspension from wear or that the rotors were possibly warped.
    Then, just as I was about to make an appointment with the closest dealership to have them look at it, when I read the news that there was a recall coming out concerning the lower ball joint on '02 and early '03 Liberty's.
    Since the dealership that I had bought the Jeep from originally had been sold, I was concerned that there was a possibility that any paperwork related to the recall might get lost in the shuffle. So I called Daimler Chrysler myself this afternoon and this is what their representative told me....

The news of the recall wasn't supposed to be announced for another 2 months. He said that story broke before D/C was ready for it. He told me that the notices won't be going out to affected customers for another 2 months. The reason being for the delay is that Daimler Chrysler doesn't have enough lower ball joints in stock to officially start notifying customers of the recall. Can you believe it? I've been told to wait for 2 months and cross my fingers that the front wheel isn't going to come off. Or, pay for any work up front.... and that they'll reimbursed me afterwards. Ahh, the old checks in the mail thing.
  • Options
    I just came back from the dealer. And you were right Motion 26, all they did was replace the brake pads. Since the noise only happens some times, I haven't heard it again yet. I'll let you know if it shows back up. Reading the rest of these posts, I can count on it.
  • Options
    renolibertyrenoliberty Member Posts: 12
    My '03 Sport's brakes moan in reverse ONLY after being parked overnight while wet! They rarely get wet in this climate. The Sport has no ABS and the emergency brake is only used infrequently.
  • Options
    I have an 03 sport with ABS, I also don't use my emergency brakes that often. Renegaded could you explain a little more about "lets more hydraulic pressure off". Sorry for being so none mechanical.

As a side note. I just replaced the Goodyears with some BFG's and had many compliments from the service guys at the dealership while there.

JS
  • Options
    Interesting hand brake/ABS theory. We will have to conduct some experiments to see if there is any truth to these ideas. For the next while I will use my parking brake to see if it prevents the moaning issue.
  • Options
    I use my parking/ emergency brake all the time. I can't seem to brake the habit after I drove a stick shift for 9 years. My car still moaned. I'm hoping the new brake pads help. Sorry to debunk the theory.
  • Options
    I use the emergency brake and I too still have the moaning. I also find that it seems to be worse during cold mornings. I live in Houston where moisture is a way of life, but on hot humid days there is no noise. On a colder morning/day (less than 70 F is cold in Houston) I get this moan problem. After driving for a 100 yards or so the sound is gone. This to me, being a humble Field engineer, says that something is binding due to a clearance problem. After 100 Yards the friction heats the metal enough to expand it away from the brakes. when the Jeep is not in use brakes cool, sound returns. Anyway that's my theory, but it would be nice to know the actual cause.
  • Options
    So has anyone had work done beyond the brake pads being changed and emergency brake sanded? If so did it cure the problem or can you save us another wasted trip to the dealer.
  • Options
    ttontisttontis Member Posts: 2
    My Girl friend has a 04 Jeep Liberty Renegade auto trans, and the trans slips on acceleration. This only happens on hard accelerations, the RPM's go up the car sits for a sec and then smoothly moves forward. I talked to the Dealer and they tell me that that is a Jeep and all Libertys are like that. I asked if there was an upgrade for the PROM to burn that out of the code, the guy told me no. First off I have never seen something like this, it's normal to hit the accelerator and wait until the computer thinks its ready to go? I am hitting the accelerator for a reason. could use some ammo here if any ones got any to go back to the dealer with and get the trans problem resolved. I do not want to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

Regards,

TT
  • Options
    I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport auto and in the first 2 months with less than 2000 miles I had to have the transmission pump changed out because of hard shifting. It was changed out as a recall. As for being given an answer of "They alldo that!" Mine doesn't do it. Maybe it was an added feature for the 2004 as the brake moan is on the 2003!
  • Options
    deedee13deedee13 Member Posts: 8
    I understand these rugged vehicles are noisier than a luxury SUV or a car and I can live with that. However, I've driven in a friend's 2003 Liberty and hear only normal engine noise when accelerating but none of the whine I hear in my daughter's. I'll take the advice above and go to another dealer. I trust my instincts which tell me this whine is not a "normal" noise.
  • Options
    ttontisttontis Member Posts: 2
    I was sure it was not a Jeep thing, and the dealer told me it was. I was not about to get into a pissing match with the SOB over it. I do not have a scanner and because it's and 04 I don't think I would be able to get the module for it. As for the break moan don't worry they carried that over to the 04 as well, they must have heard all you 03 owners talking about it and decided because it's so popular they would carry it over to the 04 so no one would be left out. I am going to take it to the place where she bought it and have them take a look at it.

Regards,

TT
  • Options
    spktruspktru Member Posts: 3
    Hope somebody can help . . .
    I have an '02 Liberty Limited with 20K miles, and when I put it into 4WD and try to make a turn (not that sharp, like backing out of the driveway or turning into a parking space), the wheels feel like they are rubbing up against something and it is difficult to turn. This happened last winter as well. I've had a Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee previously with 4WD, and it has NEVER felt like this. Any ideas what is causing this? I haven't seen this problem addressed in the previous posts.
  • Options
    On my jeep I have Select Trac which allows for full time 4WD because of the slip Diff. On my Wrangler if I made a turn on dry or firm surfaces with 4WD engaged it felt like the front wheels were bouncing and trying to go straight. Because the Liberty has independent front suspension this is why it may feel different. Part time 4WD (command trac) should not be used on paved surfaces unless wet.
  • Options
    I only use the 4WD in the snow or ice, so that's not the issue. It's like the car is fighting me to turn, and it definitely feels like there is something rubbing or obstructing the tires from turning properly... Anyone else?
  • Options
    renegadedrenegaded Member Posts: 9
    Not to dispute tutonic, but even a wet paved surface is asking for trouble at slow speed. You need good slippage available, and in a wet parking lot at slow speed, you're gonna lock up. If the snow is thick/hard enough to not let your inner wheel spin freely, or outer wheel drag, you'll get that jerk/rub feeling (and not doing the transfer case any good). And on ice, if someone's spread some sand, you don't have good spin. Without uninhibited spin, you jerk the inner wheel, or drag the outer wheel. Keep testing before you condemn the drive. Then the last item, are your ball joints really sick (as in the recall). Ok, one more thought... with the Grand Cherokee, can I assume you had AWD not 4WD, which wouldn't do it, and on the Wrangler, were your tires a lot more worn? worn tires will slip much better. And the slightly lighter Wrangler, with equal or larger tires, will "float" easier.
  • Options
    Hmm, renegaded, I don't know. Just doesn't feel right to me. My GCherokee did have AWD, but my Wrangler was brand new, so no worn tires there. Guess I'll just have to have it checked out next time I'm at service. Maybe it will be fixed with the recall... Thanks for your thoughts :)
  • Options
    kwagner88kwagner88 Member Posts: 18
    Just FYI. A few months ago, my liberty's speedometer began to become erratic and would sometimes drop to zero for periods of time. This was an intermittant problem for a few weeks until it finally failed long enough for the check engine light to come on. After two trips to the dealer, they finally found that one of the emergency brake cables above the rear axle had been hitting the sensor and broke one of the wires. The sensor is located directly above the rear axle and the wiring faces toward the drivers side. My dealer fixed the sensor, but never fixed the brake cable and it happened again. I repaired the wiring again and used a few tie-wraps to hold down the brake cable away from the sensor. Working like a champ now.
  • Options
    kayatrailkayatrail Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a burning brake smell from using their SelecTrac in the full-time position? I have had this checked out by the dealer and while they did find evidence of an overheated front (passenger) brake disc, they could find nothing wrong witht the brake operation.

I don't feel the brake drag, but can easily smell the brakes after use. I live at the top of a long hill, so practically no brake use prior to parking.

This only seems to occur with the use of full-time 4 wheel.

My 2002 Liberty has about 20,000 miles. I would be curious to know if anyone else has heard of this. I see no tech bulletins on it. Thanks!
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I've read a few postings on problems with bind-up at slow speeds after shifting in or out of 4 wheel/part-time/rear wheel drive. On my first test drive with my Liberty it was raining some so as per the salesman's advice I put it in part time mode. All was well until I had to turn around in a subdivision and spap-crackle-pop. Renegaded suggested this was what to expect and it makes sense since the pavement was just wet. I never had this happen in full-time unless I shifted it while stopped in the garage or on a parking lot. Then, when backing up and turning slowly I got that biinding sensation again. Now I only use the full-time and shift on the fly. No problems so far. I have a very steep driveway so if I anticipate needing full-time, I shift near home and leave it engaged. I haven't messed with the part-time on the select-trak and the info in the manual is unclear. I'm figuring that on stretches of road with patches of ice and snow it may be the mode to use but watch out for slow turns or parking. Am I on target with this or is there another way to use the transfer case that makes more sense?
  • Options
    So when the roads are snow packed and icy i'm living in 4wd. If the conditions include deep snow and drifting do I consider the low range option under 25 mph?
  • Options
    On your way back from A.C. last year would you have kept it in 4wd if you would have had it? Also, how did you distribute all those bags of nickles you won to maximize weight distribution and traction?
  • Options
    You were right about what I meant. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.