Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Liberty: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    tutonictutonic Member Posts: 12
    So do you think that this little brake problem I am suffering could lead to what you suffered? I am meant to see a Chrysler rep very soon about the continuing brake noise.. but you may have taken the next step. If you find out why your brakes seized I would be very interested. The other question that is important "Do you think it was dangerous?"
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Sounds like it could be related to a parking brake that didn't disengage when you released it. I had a 1990 Grand Prix with rear disc brakes that did the same thing. I drove alot further than 4 blocks and the rotor was scorched nicely. Never had a problem after that. Very strange.
  • Options
    elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Member Posts: 134
    Took my 2003 Liberty sport on it's first roadtrip to Erie, PA. The vehicle sat outside overnight....20 degrees, snow/sleet. I went to get wifey coffee @ Krispy Kreme & noticed in 4wd that the truck was almost braking while I was backing up in the parking lot. I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep moving backwards.

Also, I notice what seemed to be a moaning, rubbing sound from the rear of the vehicle as I slowly drove in circles in the parking lot.

This has only happened in 4wd & only after the truck sat outside all night in cold & dampness.

Any idea on what may be wrong & if these symptoms match up with other complaints ?

The truck is kept in the garage each night, but sits outside all day.

First time I have noticed the symptoms.

Thanks in advance-
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    Refer to my post #889. Mine is not 4 wheel drive, but it sounds like the same noise. Aso, I live in Florida so it obviously had nothing to do with being cold. They replaced the whole rear end in mine.
  • Options
    Did changing the rear end help? I have had the blocks changed and the emergency brake sanded and the noise is still there. Any advice?
  • Options
    The same thing happened to my Liberty but only if I shifted it into 4wd while stopped. Were you in 4wd when you parked for the night or did you shift before starting in the AM ? I always shift in or out while moving and haven't had a problem with gear bind up. If I think I'm going to need 4wd in the morning, I shift on the way home and let it sit in the garage engaged. Otherwise , I shift in the first few blocks. No problems so far.
  • Options
    The manual says that when shifting into 4wd fulltime when stationary you may have to shift the autotransmission from D to R and back to D after shifting. This allows for full engagement. When in motion, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting. If the shift isn't completed you can't play nice and we all want to play nice.
  • Options
    How do you determine the exact date the vehicle was built? The sticker on the passenger door jamb says 10/02. I assume that means in the month of October 2002. Does the vin # have a code or what?
  • Options
    Congrats on the new brakes. I called chrysler and after making me wait 5 minutes the customer service rep said that the 02 in 10/02 was the day not the year. Pretty awsome huh? My born on date is 10/22/17 and the last four #s on my vin are 4287. I've got my fingers crossed on both hands.
  • Options
    Just for your info, the rep is based in Ontario -- you probably know the place. It's where the Leafs lost to the Blues the other night. I'm not disappointed I'm not getting new ball joints. Sounds like a procedure that requires a lot of grease and a gentle hand. The inspection will do just fine.
    Did they ever find out the cause of your brake meltdown?
  • Options
    lindag47lindag47 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, changing the rear end solved the problem. I have no noise anymore.
  • Options
    The fact that your caliper froze does't address the cause just the result. The breakdown was catastrophic and could have resulted in some very serious personal injury. Have you notified NHTSA in this regard? I haven't seen any other similar problems posted on boards for any other make let alone Jeep. Is this something that happens from time to time? It's never happened to me or anyone I know and I car talk alot.How is it acting since the fix?
    No more Mopar huh. Is Ford or GM in your future? I'm sure you'll find love and understanding at either company.
  • Options
    I have a 02 concorde ltd with the same problem. It took them two times to fix it. Something about revised computer chips or codes. Got a rental so no real inconvenience and no problems since august. Just read about an oil filter magnetic insert that should be available in a few months. $3.95. Sounds like a good idea if it's reusable.
    Renegaded, do you remember when new car warranties were 12 mos. or 12k miles?
  • Options
    I've owned a lot of cars since my father and volvo dealer uncle steered me into a 1968 142 two door. It was my name on the loan papers and I made the payments. What a piece it was. When it would start, I had to keep a pair of pliars handy because every single plastic knob snapped off on the dash as well as the window cranks. The worst part about the whole experience was a number of years later I realized I could have had a Chevy Malibu Convertible for the same money. I think I've been chasing that ride ever since. This Liberty is still talking real nice to me. The fit and finish are almost flawless and the ride is solid. I just had it out in a couple of inches of snow and even on the stock goodforayear's, it prooved extremely surefooted. No surprise, really but still fun. It's a shame you've lost confidence in your Jeep. It's one of life's real bad feelings. Are you stuck with it for a while or are you getting that moving on feeling again?
  • Options
    rinturintu Member Posts: 1
    Dear Listers,

I bought a Jeep Liberty 2002 V6 manual transmission in September 2002. Today I went for an oil change at the Local Wal Mart. The vehicle has 9984 miles. In the process of oil change, the technician discovered a loose screw in the transmission and as he tried to tighten it, the screw fell off and they called and told me that the engine is knocking and I should not drive it at all. The vehicle was immediately towed to the nearest jeep dealer and I will find out on Monday what is wrong with it. Does anyone had any problem similar to this.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Did you get extended warranties on your vehicles or are you still using the original one issued on the neon?

When engaging the parking brake on my Jeep, I pull up the lever while still in drive or rev. and allow the vehicle to creep to stop against the brake before shifting to park and then shutting off the engine. I have to ratchet the handle a full pull to keep the Jeep from creeping. Does it sound like it needs to be adjusted?
  • Options
    jeepers15jeepers15 Member Posts: 1
    I have recent purchased a Jeep Liberty Renegade 2004. There is approximately 3000km on the jeep. I am noticing a few thing, first when shifted in D, (manual transmission) I have to wait about 1 second before I begin to accelerate. If I don't, I feel a little jolt. Is this the same as I read in a previous post!

Make : JEEP Model : LIBERTY Year : 2003
    Service Bulletin Num : 2100503A Date of Bulletin: AUG 01, 2003
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Summary: DELAYED OR TEMPORARY LOSS OF TRANSMISSION ENGAGEMENT AFTER INITIAL START UP ON VARIOUS MODELS INCLUDING THE 2004 PACIFICA, SEBRING CONVERTIBLE, SEBRING SEDAN, INTREPID AND 2003 SX2.0. *TT

Also the second is the brakes. I have only noticed this when the roads are wet. ex. When stopping at a red light for about 30 seconds, with the brake pressed then when light turn green, release brake press acceleration pedal a cracking noise comes from the brakes like they are sticking. Has anyone experienced any of these issues or is all this normal on the Liberty?

Thanks.
  • Options
    caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    My park brake only grips well at 2/3 of it's stroke. This is probably designed to help people obtain the necessary force to lock the brake drums. I once had a Land Rover 109 (30 years ago) that gave this funny impression, but never failed.

Shifting from neutral to drive or reverse has a delay on the 545RFE tranny. I read an article explaining something about the transmission fluid pump that needed to set the proper fluid level in the coupler. I also get the 'kick' if I don't wait. The rear differential has by construction a natural 'play' of ~1/4 of a turn on the drive shaft; by waiting a second, it retensions itself.
  • Options
    The transmission delay problem I experienced resulted in a non-engagement time period of 20 to 45 seconds. It felt like you were in neutral and then it would pop into gear. The one second delay you feel is consistent with my Liberty auto transmission operation. As caribou1 related, it's normal and probably benign.
  • Options
    jeepspazjeepspaz Member Posts: 21
    It happens on my 03 Libby. You are not alone! Renegaded, sorry to hear about your bad experience with your jeep. My Libby sheds a tear for yours!
  • Options
    It's all about money. My guess is that to fix your Jeep to your satisfaction probably wouldn't cost all that much. The problem could have been avoided in the first place if they would use steel whirlygigs and gears instead of plastic. But the vehicle might have cost $12 more to build. I would love to see a new option made available to the buying public. Alongside the chrome wheels, auto-dimming mirrors, and special badges, they ought to offer a package that upgrades the durability of every part in the power train and brakes that could use it. The chrome wheels list out for over $800 for pete's (pedro's} sake. Alas, it will never happen but DC could certainly make a statement.
  • Options
    For delays longer than 2 seconds, I would look for a problematic priming of the hydraulic pump or a defective electrical contact. I have not yet found the schematics and interlocking sequence related to the tranny. These would be nice to have underhand especially for those who like to go in the desert or mountain regions. You can do a lot with a simple voltmeter on the newer vehicles !
  • Options
    My Liberty has no ID except the Jeep on the front hood. The original tire cover had the dealer name and phone number but I made him replace it with the factory cover which will be replaced when my painted stainless steel one arrives shortly. A customer had ordered my Jeep and had a lovely wood grain decal package installed on the sides and rear. They backed out on the purchase and the dealer had it removed as per my request. The badges were destroyed in the process and he ordered a new set. The are in my file cabinet. I like the anonymity and the look.
    My concorde was built on June 28, 2002 at 0700 hours in Brampton. I opted for the Limited because rumor has it that they use lock washers instead of standard issue during assembly of this model.
    Haven't found any loose gizmos on the garage floor so far. Might be true. Maybe your friend can comment on this urban legend.
  • Options
    rock1rock1 Member Posts: 12
    I asked my dealer to adjust the parking brake on my 2003 Liberty Limited. I'm comfortable with three to four clicks when pulling up the brake.
    He brought out the 2003 Liberty manual, about four inches thick, in which it clearly states the parking brake is not adjustable. The dealer stated when the cable stretches the cable must be replaced. I would not have believed it if I did not read the section provided.
  • Options
    To whom it may concern...
    Has anyone ever tried to set up a meeting with a Chrysler rep about this break problem! I have been trying for 2.5 months. Now I had eventually had a meeting set up yesterday afternoon and guess what... I had a phone call one hour before saying that he could not make it. Is Chrysler trying to avoid the problem? Now it may or may not be January before I can set up another potential meeting. Is it me or does Chrysler have crappy after sales customer service?
    While I'm on the subject anyone have more news on this break moaning.. or am I moaning more than the breaks now?
  • Options
    Well if there is no way to adjust the brake that's that. I haven't measured the distance or clicks yet but I have to "crank it good" {shade tree mechanic speak} to keep it from creeping in D or R. Oh well. I suppose there are bigger fish to fry as Renegaded likes to profess.
  • Options
    Here is a link that explains the system: http://www.autohobbydigest.com/oshop64/brakes/page02.html
    If you cannot catch 'the' convenient park brake position by pulling on the lever to actuate the self tensioning mechanism, you will need to open and set your brake drums. But this is something very easy to do for a technician. The risk is that you don't have enough clearance when your brakes get hot, and they can grip if you seldom use the park brake. This normally occurs after a few winter seasons when the cables are full of salt, or when people use high pressure rincing under the vehicle that destroys the protection skirts at the ends of the cables.
    Unfortunately dealers often use binary logic to stay away from maintenance. You have or don't have brakes.
  • Options
    tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    someone earlier said that using the command-trac transfer case in snow is dangerous, or could cause loss of control. could that someone explain how this could be possible. i have been using part-time in the snow on both of my KJ's (liberty)and have never slipped at all, even at higher speeds. people always diss, or talk about limitations of the command-trac transfer case, saying how delicate it is on wet or dry surfaces. this is just plain not true. sure you do not want to slalom your KJ in part-time, but you sure won't mess it up driving on a road that is partially covered in ice/snow/clear pavement. the thing you have to watch out for is turning on a surface that won't allow slippage. going straight will not affect it one bit. just wanted to clear that up, since a high majority or KJ's are built with the command-trac transfer case only. and lastly, part-time will NOT cause you to lose control in snow. heck, it's why it's there and why you can go 55 mph with it engaged. buy some decent tires, opt out of abs and get command trac. it's all you need. why would a person even need to be in 4x4 if there wasn't snow on the road anyways? i never really understood the full-time selec-trac thing. i mean, if you have good tires you shouldn't have to worry about rain or anything else. it's the snow that 4x4 is made for imo. but im from the midwest where snow is expected.
  • Options
    I find the Selec-Trac quite nice going downhill when suddently the road becomes slippery. You pull the lever two notches to set the full time mode as you go along, and later go back to the 2 wheel mode when the thrill is over. Another aspect is the 'poor' mechanical efficiency of the drivetrain in full time 4x4 that gives 'better' drag and saves the brake pads on mountain roads.
    The only time to switch between drivetrain modes is when the front wheels are turning at the same speed. In all curves, you need to go 'straight' over a very short distance. If not, you will hear the gears complain because the modes sequence is: 2Full time - 4Part time - 4Full time -+- 4LO. It would have made more driving sense to catch 4Full time mode directly. No one is perfect but I find this drivetrain more secure than what other manufacturers offer. It's real fun when you understand how it behaves. You just have to keep in mind that when there is no more dry pavement in front of you, it make no difference on a straight line but in a curve, an extra road width allowance is needed (assuming you accept to swing the truck around a little bit).
  • Options
    spdmtr5spdmtr5 Member Posts: 111
    4WDs have been using the shift into 4WD when you need it system for years and years.It's simple,Works great and costs a whole lot less! the one improvement that is nice is one doesn't have to turn in the front hubs anymore.I'm an old "brake pumper" on the slick so I feel that ABS is a waste of money also.Pay attention to conditions and drive accordingly.
  • Options
    "shift-on-the-fly" is not so old. Those who had early Land Rovers or even Mercedes G type trucks never dared to do so. Their central differencials were not synchromeshed, they had matching splined shafts and bushings, and you had to turn the front hubs to save gas. Man walked on the moon during that period.
  • Options
    Jeep needs to call it 4HI like most others do and have the dash light read 4WD.
  • Options
    Jeep is using the same dash light for both systems.Save a buck where you can.
  • Options
    is a misnomer.It is really a4HI-4WD locked configuration.Both axles are turning at the same speed.If you reach dry areas,shift into 2WD and back again if traction decreases.One can shift on the fly up to 50mph.If you are driving any faster you're an accident looking for a place to happen.
  • Options
    I have select trac on my Liberty. For on road driving is there any situation that makes the part-time setting absolutely and without any doubt the best choice over full-time? I'm talking paved roads only. Light snow, deep snow, icy, wet,standing water,dry patches or whatever. Use a situation that you create and say what you would use. Make it simple if possible.Too much technology talk interacts negatively with my medication.
  • Options
    Why do people buy a 4WD Liberty if they don't need or know about 4WD? By definition, this is a special vehicle that has a deeply sought technical appeal, and is naturally more expensive. After more than 6000 miles of all kinds of rides, my wife still refuses to drive it... I have the 2.8L CRD Automatic. It's very well built, rugged and the italian 'VM' 4 cylinder diesel engine has everything to charm diesel fanatics (roars without smell). I think this new Liberty is a winner!
  • Options
    I think things would be a bit more clear if we spoke of and understood the center differential that one system has and the other doesn't.Said diff. allows an AWD system to be used all the time.The older simpler and less expensive system must be shifted into 4wd and should be used in low traction situations.It's correct to say that it is to be used part of the time.My Dodge truck dash light indicates 4WD and at my age that's about all I can understand.So;when the going gets tough,shift into 4wd 50-50 split lock up and bypass the AWD center differential.
  • Options
    The reason I bought my Liberty is threefold. 1. I felt that it would give an edge to travel effectively in severe weather conditions. 2. My wife and I both loved the look, ride, and overall feel of the vehicle. It rang our chimes. 3. The price we paid was only slightly more than a comparably equiped standard sedan or coupe.
    Over the last several monthes it has met or exceeded all of our expectations. My wife loves to drive the Liberty and likes the security that the full time 4wd offers. When we feel it's needed, we set it and forget it. So far so good. My read on the part vs full time question is that the part time option offers only a marginal advantage in slick situations without turns. The full time seems to offer the most universal advantage when negotiating streets and highways.
    If there is a situation where this is catagorically not the case, then I would certainly be interested in that information.
    Our purchase had plenty of deeply sought emotional appeal and without offering any apologies on that account, we are having a blast. You seem to feel the same about your Liberty so congratulations and good luck.
  • Options
    You make perfect sense Renegaded, and when we bought the Liberty we did over buy.Since I'm retired and have plenty of time, I think I'll make an effort to learn the skills necessary to better utilize the Jeep's capabilities. Do you give lessons?
  • Options
    In the 60's, our local White-Rose garage serviceman used a Jeep for pushing the snow out of our driveway. After the 2nd world war, european farmers and sheep keepers adopted the Jeep to bring food and medication in the mountains. Today some of these original Jeeps are still in use with retrofitted diesel engines. For me there is a lot of history behind this vehicle. Perhaps this is why I don't associate it with 2WD.
  • Options
    I really didn't figure on getting lessons from you but what you and others have said on this forum has made me realize that it makes sense to learn as much as I can about my Liberty. As you said, it's not a cute ute [even though it is cute} but a vehicle with lots of positive potential if used correctly. There are however, some inherent dangers related to function and design of the vehicle that don't make the front page of the sales brochure. The disclaimers are broad and obscure.
    My feeling is that since I have all this potential for good and bad, it makes sense to learn what I can to max the positive and min the negative. I'm checking into some driving courses offered through 4x4 clubs that should provide some hands on education. Should be fun.
  • Options
    does the dealer come with the Jeep? I'm getting ready for my first oil change and the place I bought from is 35 miles away. There are two dealers near me. One is 12 miles away and it's where I bought my Concorde. They have been OK- even got three free oil changes when I told them the tire pressure was low on all 4 tires after delivery. I don't know if they would be so enthusiastic on a non purchase vehicle. Got a coupon and a letter from their new service mgr - says they want all cars no matter where you bought it. I would have bought from them but they didn't have what I wanted and the deal wasn't overwhelming. The other dealer is only five miles away and much more convenient. Oil changes are only $20 and when I went in to ask a question about the tailight housing, a mechanic came out and demo'd what I needed to do.They said they would be happy to work with me on service and warranty work. Got any suggestions?
    I know about the Jamboree. It's in Virginia. Do you really think it's worthwhile? I might do a local one first.
  • Options
    xbomberxbomber Member Posts: 12
    I also have the transmission delay when shifting from reverse to drive on a cold engine. Has anyone found the fix for this yet? The dealer gave me the "could not duplicate" routine.
  • Options
    is the delay and does it jump into gear? What Liberty do you own?
  • Options
    2003 liberty sport 3.7L 4x4 with the automatic 4 speed transmission (command trac). The delay only seem to last a couple of seconds. It seems like the transmission is building pressure then clunks from the rear end and goes. The colder it gets, the worse it seems to be. It kind of has that feeling of rev-ing an automatic in nuetral and dropping it into gear.
  • Options
    Check message 959 on this board. I don't think you have a problem. It's gonna have to get lots worse. What transmission model do you have? Mine was an early edition and has the 45RFE. If you have the window sticker, it gives the model number. May be posted somewhere else on the vehicle. Ask your dealer.
  • Options
    I couldn't have done it without you and your Mopar family. The picture you painted of Christmas morning as you reflected mournfully on the sad state of affairs between you and and the creator of your flock of black sheep haunted me for minutes. I'm hoping that post 2000 is written under your byline. You go guy!
  • Options
    rh1011rh1011 Member Posts: 3
    '02 model in Texas.
  • Options
    According to the recall notice only vehicles built before mid-March, 2003 are affected. If your Liberty was built after that, it isn't affected.
  • Options
    byrdman1107byrdman1107 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited in September 2002. I have had the vehicle in 4 times in 15 months for wheel alignment because it pulls to the right so much. The dealership has explained that many of the improperly designed Libertys pull to the right, so they "mis-align" the front end to pull to the left to compensate for the problem of the vehicle pulling to the right. I believe the tires are wearing unevenly and prematurely. The last time at the shop, the service alignment tech suggested I keep the tire pressure at 38-42 psi and rotate the tires every 3-4000 miles. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSC and I am now considering the lemon law. I believe that is an ongoing safety and repair issue that is not going away and Chrysler is refusing to address the issue. I contacted Chrysler last month and the technician stated they "have never heard of this problem with the Jeep Liberty." This will be my last Jeep / Chrysler purchase. I only have 6500 miles on the vehicle because it's been so difficult to drive.
This discussion has been closed.