Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Welcome, Toyota Tundra

Comments

• Options
    1greg1greg Member Posts: 40
    Mackabee,

What happened to the Tundra pricing you were going to put out? I am still interested in seeing prices.

Thanks
  • Options
    LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    I admit "rigged" is a rather loaded word. I was just pointing out that you never said how the other trucks were equipped and if the test was an equal comparision. I'm sure the Tunra is a great truck. Better than F-150, Ram, or Silverado? I'm still skeptical. I think Toyota's going to have to offer more than one wheelbase and two engines to make more than a dent in the full size market.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Didn't we go this round with the T-100? Wasn't this supposed to put Ford/GM/Dodge out of the truck business?
  • Options
    weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    Mackabee:
    UMMM, when exactly will Toyota produce the truck I want. I would like something similar to a F-250 SD, 4x4, supercab, short bed, diesel, automatic. Should I check back with you in 2010? Later, Wes.
  • Options
    HolliwoodHolliwood Member Posts: 46
    Is it just me or does it seem like the Tundra and the Tacoma (4X4 ext. cab V-6) prices are overlapping?! I want a Tacoma 4X4 ext cab, but I think they're priced too high. Evidence is in the pricing of the Tundra. Do you think Toyota will have any meaningful incentives on the Tacoma? Surely, Tundra sales will eat at Tacoma without some price adjustments. The Toyota salesman may be able to answer this. The price of the Tacoma is pushing me toward Ford's F-150, even tough I don't want a full-size truck. Money is money!!
  • Options
    nuwonuwo Member Posts: 63
    I assume that other tests were conducted too. What were the results of all tests besides these select three?
  • Options
    Since it's obvious from those prices you posted mackabee, is Toyota planning on discounting the Tacoma? It seems to me with the overlapping of prices the two will eventually "canabalize" each other. The Tundra probably isn't priced to high considering the full-size truck market, buuuut the Tacoma that's another story. It's just priced too high, sure they sell, but I can't count the number of posts I've read where people chose the Ranger over the Tacoma because of price. Toyota needs to lower the Tacoma prices, especially since I want one.:) But, the Ranger is looking better. Any comments from the peanut gallery? :)

Holliwood
  • Options
    Where can I find info on the Tacoma incentives? Edmunds doesn't list any for Tacoma. Last week while dealing with my salesman(referred through MSN Carpoint) he did not mention anything about incentives, but he did quote me a price at $300 over invoice. I need to know if this incentive is factual, so I can present it to him. Also, it would be a negotiating tool on my trade, a '95 Vette with low miles.

Holliwood
  • Options
    Thanks for the pricing Mackabee. I think the Tundra pricing definitely puts it in the ballpark for me. Now a 5 speed to go with the v-8 would really push it over the top.

I think people do make a good point about the lack of different sizes available. I think this will hurt sales a little, but I also think that many people complaining probably wouldn't buy a Toyota anyway. In the half ton pickup class, most of these trucks have become personal transportation as opposed to work trucks. I personally don't tow much so I don't need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, but I would like a truck for hauling stuff, hunting, camping etc. and this fits the bill. Now whether it does it better than a half ton Chevys, Dodges or Fords remain to be seen. I used to detest Chevys, but I definitely think they have made strides.

Greg Hoppes
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    lgreg, the V8 won't be available with the 5spd. The reaction we've received so far on this truck looks like a Home run! We have a preview truck available until it goes on sale and customers are already leaving deposits for the first 8 we're getting. It looks like this will be a hit such as the Sienna mini-van we can't keep in stock. There will be an suv based on this truck by the 2002 model year. As far as different sizes those will probably be further down the line. It would be ludicrous for a manufacturer to flood the market with all kinds of variations on a new vehicle before it knows how its going to do in the market. Check out the new issue of Autoweek, they gave it a glowing review and also some other comparison numbers against the competitions bigger V8's that will impress the doubters in this group. I will post the option prices for the 4x4 sometime tomorrow as I have a deadline to meet tonight (April 15th, Uncle Sam) You get the picture.

: )

Mackabee

P.S. every dealer will have one Tundra in their showroom by Friday the 16th. Brochures are already available.
  • Options
    mbrowersmbrowers Member Posts: 3
    Mackabee,thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide between the Tundra (waiting to see it)and the F150. Is the response so good that the truck will sell for MSRP? I can get a F150 for invoice. Also, will the Tundra have a limited slip or lockable rear axle available? My 4wd Rav4 got stuck a couple of times with one wheel spinning front and back. F150's have the limited slip available. Should this be a concern for me? I launch about a 3000lb boat (not with the Rav4) in a lot of different places. Thanks again.
  • Options
    volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    Macabee, looks like A/C is standard even on the base model, correct?

The prices do seem very competitive, but why no base model Access Cabs? I don't need the SR5 package and don't like the big jump in price between reg. and Access cabs. Why must I pay over $5000 for a couple more doors? That's fully a 1/3 of the price of the reg. cab 5M.

Help me out here, I'd like to replace my 4x2 Tacoma with a Tundra (4x2 Access Cab V6 5M) but I can get a F-150 ext. cab for $17000 after discount.
  • Options
    netnovicenetnovice Member Posts: 3
    I'm currently looking at buying the Toyota Tundra.

I was looking at buying the Ford F250 Super Duty, Super Cab, 4x4 XLT 5.4L, but Ford doesn't seem to want to build it! I couldn't find one with cloth interior & captains chairs in black or red. Apparently, that's asking alot.

Anyway, the Tundra Limited seems to be a good product but word has it that the dealers are going to charge premium for them. I can get the Ford (if they ever make one) for dealer invoice plus $300.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which is the better product and if the rumors are true.
  • Options
    I would expect most dealers to sell at MSRP initially. I wouldn't doubt if some sell at above MSRP. The demand for the truck remains to be seen, but if recent lot traffic is any indication then it will sell for all the money.

: )

Mackabee
  • Options
    The limited will not be available until Sep 99.

Mackabee
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    netnovice,
    The F250 and Tundra hardly seem comparable, at all. I mean one is a 3/4 ton, the other 1/2 ton at 15/16 scale. The F250 is a macho-man work truck, the other an up-scale luxury/sport machine. One is fast with good economy, the other a brute hauler with decent economy if you are towing a lot. And I doubt you are going to find Red/Black captains chairs in the Tundra either. I don't think you can say which is the better product between these two unless you define what you want to use it for.
  • Options
    arttartt Member Posts: 14
    Edmunds and the Autosite web sites, and probably others, finally have Tundra data. Looks they don't offer the SR5 package in the 4X2 regular cab (same bone-head move they did in the T100) so it's probably goodbye Tundra hello Silverado LS.
  • Options
    mbrowersmbrowers Member Posts: 3
    Test drove the Tundra today. Very Nice! The V8 was extremely smooth and quiet. My wife was not too impressed with the size of it (talking about the truck, still), but it sure drove nice. Definitely not as much room as the Ford. Funny, on the way to the Toyota dealer, my 98 F150 passenger power window quit working. Hmm. The F150 has done great for 20,000 miles, though. Only wish Toyota offered limited slip.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I drove a 4x4 SR5 V8 Access Cab yesterday. It was well equipped and stickered just under $30K. Here's my impressions:

THE GOOD:

1. It is sized just about perfectly as a "personal-use" truck. It's a bit smaller than the domestic full-size models. I consider that a "plus." The domestics are, in my opinion (for personal-use), just too large.

2. The new V8 is very powerful.

3. It drove beautifully, and it is very quiet.

4. Has a very good payload/towing rating.

5. 60/40 Split rear seat makes a lot of sense.

6. 4-doors!

7. Lot of room under the hood. Headlight bulbs look easy to replace (as does other normal maintenance), because of all that room.

8. Dual power outlets as well as a cigar lighter.

THE BAD:

1. I wish it had a 5-speed automatic. The DOHC V8 is a real revver. You can really feel the power come on at mid-high rpm. A 5-speed, with closer gear splits would be a big help - especially when towing, or carrying heavy loads.

2. Speaking of towing: I understand the "Towing Package" won't be available until September.

3. I wish it had the full-time 4x4 system from the Land Cruiser, at least as an option. Full-time (or auto-on-demand 4x4) will be the coming thing for personal-use pickups. GM already offers it on their new full-size pickups, and so does Dodge in the Dakota. I'm surprised Toyota launched this new vehicle without it.

4. The rear seat is very uncomfortable for an adult. I realize that these seats are meant for temporary use, but I do wish it had the front-to-rear room/comfort of the new GM extended cabs.

5. The fold down rear arm rest with cup holders is great idea. Unfortunately, when folded down, it is too low to be used by an adult. It is fine for kids.

6. The front center console is also way too low. If Toyota made it higher, it could double as an armrest, and have much great storage capacity. They could then eliminate the fold down center armrests attached to the insides of the front seats (they wouldn't be needed).

7. The tailgate seemed a little loose in terms of fit.

8. Too few model configurations.

THE UGLY:

1. The styling of the Tundra makes the new GM pickups look bold and daring. I wish Toyota (and other Japanese brands) would have the courage to make some bold styling statements, like what Chrysler has done in recent years. If you look carefully, you will see a lot of Ford-inspired styling "cliches" such as: the grille, the locking tailgate lever, and the dashboard.

FINAL VERDICT:

Despite its tepid styling, it is probably the best personal-use truck out there -- for now.
  • Options
    lshenoylshenoy Member Posts: 1
    How about the ride? Do you really need the TRD pacakage? Also, hoow does the 2-WD compare with Ford's F-150/5.4l V8 Triton
  • Options
    bpoffbpoff Member Posts: 1
    Anyone tried to negotiate a price on the SR5 Access cab (May allotment seems to be similar at all dealers--loaded but can't get captain chairs or leather. Limited will have leather but not available until Sept.) Think they will be sold BELOW MSRP?
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Once again, I think that Toyota is making a big mistake marketing this truck against the F150/Silverado/Ram. From what I've seen (looked, not driven) this would clean up against the current Dakota. This is the same mistake they made with the T100. As rsholland says, this is a great mid-size personal use vehicle.
  • Options
    I think Toyota is making a gamble on sizing the Tundra a tad below the domestics. I also think the moderate size is a plus for personal use. So the Tundra should no doubt do well in that segment.

I just received the Tundra promo video in the mail. The performance test were a little cheesy I felt. They compared acceleration with Ford & Chevy's 4.8L trucks, while the braking test was against Ford & Chevy's 5.4L trucks. Well DUH!!! You run faster than the competitors' SMALLEST V8s, and you brake quicker than the heavier & bigger V8s.

I like the Tundra a lot, but that bit of underhanded stats manipulation was uncalled for.
  • Options
    tarvertarver Member Posts: 7
    Nice catch Volfy.... Once again, it's proven that you can make the numbers say whatever you want.
  • Options
    This month's Truck Trend said that compared to the 5.3L Silverado, 0 to 60 was the same, Tundra faster than 5.9L Ram, and .3 sec slower than 5.4L F150. Doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    bcarverbcarver Member Posts: 3
    The Toyotya dealer in Carson City, Nevada has a Tundra (V8, access cab, SR5) on the lot. I stopped to look at the MSRP and couldn't help, but notice the $1,499 mark up the dealer added to push the price over $30,000. No thanks!
  • Options
    I guess it never fails. Just like the New Beetle, the new Honda Odyssey minivan, and for a while the Plymouth Prowler. When it's new and hot and demand is over-powering supply, greed will always get in the way. Unfortunately.

I guess I'll wait and see. I might just have to hang on to my Tacoma for a couple more years till the Tundra cools down a bit.

In any case, about the lack of model range and option thing. I'm sure Toyota went after what the biggest percentage of full-size truck buyers are looking for, while minimizing production cost. It only makes sense when you don't have the volume to support all market niches. Faulting Toyota for not making a T-250 or a T-350 diesel rig is like faulting Ford or Chevy for not making a Miata. They just don't have a cock in that fight.
  • Options
    I test drove the Tundra 4x4 v-8 access cab. My thoughts are smooth shifting, smoothest shifting auto I have ever driven, even under heavy acceleration. Corners well, nice turning radius. VERY quiet. Test drive was with radio off. No engine noise, or wind noise that I could discern. No tranny noise. Comfortable, nice view, good ergonomics. The truck would be easy for me to drive in town or traffic if needed. Very good personal use vehicle which seems to be where the entry level truck market is headed with half tons. Great acceleration in the 4.7l engine. Drove over some rough railroad tracks and it handled them very smoothly.

Center console could be higher up for a better arm rest although the one I drove had the captains chairs with arm rest, I though it was kind of in the way but it could be moved up and out of the way. Back seat is usable for small people or kids but not for average sized adult. The fullsize domestics still have them beat with size if that is your need.

Sticker price was $28,200 or so. This had all the options I would want. Power, Captains seats, cd/cassette/radio, 16" tires with cast aluminum wheels, air conditioning etc. Didn't have the off-road package which was basically bilsteins and stickers. In a competitive market like Denver, I have already had a dealer tell me that they are selling them at $1500.00 off of MSRP to start with. The one I test drove didn't have any additional dealer profit added onto it.
  • Options
    Toyota17Toyota17 Member Posts: 15
    Well in this chat all I hear is how bad this truck
    is so I did a test, I tested the Chevrolet
    Silverado 4.8L V8, Dodge Ram 5.2L V8, Ford F150
    4.6L V8, and the Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 (Note: all
    were 4x2, believe me also all were equal. To start
    out here are some stats, Toyota's engine out-horsed
    all the engines, except the Silverado's which has
    10 more horses, but the Silverado's engine is
    bigger. When I was on the test drive I notice the
    Tundra was by far the quietest, in the video I got
    it said special detail went into making the Tundra
    the quietest pickup. The Tundra also had the best
    accelerations, with and without a load; and it had
    the best braking. Another thing is that the Tundra
    is in it's first year, if it is a big hit there
    will be more models. The last one is it with have
    the Lexus LX470's V8 engine, so you know the Tundra
    is going to be reliable. If there are some
    positives there are always negatives. The biggest
    negative I found is it's SIZE this can be a good
    thing or a bad thing, good if you need to park in a
    small spot or get into tight areas, bad if you
    need to carry a lot of people. The front seats have
    a lot of room, but the rear are another story, my
    5'8" son fights perfect, but any bigger no way.

Here is a short text I saw on the Tundra's
    state-of-the-Art engine "Finally, a full-size truck
    that can get out of its own way. We recommend that
    the competition get out of its way, too- from
    0-60, the Tundra V8 4x2 is the fastest in it's
    class.* Its available 4.7L, 245hp i-Force engine is
    the only double overhead cam (DOHC), 32-valve V8
    offered in a full-size pickup. The unique shape of
    its pentroof combustion chamber produces maximum
    fuel efficiency and increased power. There's no lag
    time with this powerplant- when you get on it,
    you're gone. What's more, the i-Force V8's advanced
    design helped the Tundra become one of the first
    full-size pickups to achieve low emission vehicle
    (LEV) status."

So to conclude I think the Tundra will be a great
    personal use vehicle, that really can haul
    something, with a maximum towing capability of 3.5
    tons. This truck I believe will sell it's goal of
    100,000 a year without a problem

*- Based on AMCI-certified performance tests
    conducted using a model-year 2000 Toyota Tundra V8
    4x2 Access Cab SR5 against comparably equipped 1999
    4x2 4.6-liter Ford F-150, 4x2 4.8-liter Chevrolet
    Silverado and 4x2 5.2-liter Dodge Ram half-ton
    full-size pickup trucks.
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    After checking out the tundra and the pricing and comparing it to the dakota pricing and capabilities, I think Toyota may make Dodge sales skyrocket.
  • Options
    netnovicenetnovice Member Posts: 3
    I test drove the tundra 4x2 this weekend... and I must say that all the statements about the zippy engine, smooth ride, and quiet interior are true.

I am sold on the Tundra as a great personal use vehicle... BUT the dealer in Santa Clarita, CA put a $7000 mark-up!!! Are you high?!

The reason I had been deciding between the F250 4x4 Super Duty and Tundra 4x4 access cab, is because I felt they were a comparable "value." I felt Ford did a great job with the fully loaded super cab 4x4 and it should hold up in value over time. Toyota has a proven record of building reliable vehicles that retain great value.

But with a price gouge of $7000 over MSRP you will never sell me a Tundra or any Toyota for that matter
  • Options
    medicbmedicb Member Posts: 3
    I was fortunate to get a ride in the Tundra Access Cab SR5 4X4 about three weeks before they were delivered to local dealerships. (Couldn't drive it then, but was definitely impressed with the ride). I finally drove a similar Tundra model this weekend, and was even more impressed since I "felt" the power under my foot. I agree with most of you that have driven the Tundra - - it's surprisingly quiet, powerful, and one of the smoothest rides I've had in any pickup, let alone a 4X4. As for the price, with the options I want, I find it to be comparable to others in the competitive market. A down side to all of this, is now I find I may not be able to get a Limited model until August/September timeframe. I saw the first prototype Tundras at the Indiana State Fair last Summer, and knew then I would want to have one. A few more months wait is not much considering a "Toyota" is what I want. I own two Toyota's now, a 1980 Corona, and a 1992 Extended Cab SR5 V6 4X4, and we have been extremely pleased with both vehicles. Sure, Toyota is being careful after their T100 episode, but if the Tundra pans out for them in the segment they are going after, I'm sure additional engine options, slip differentials, bed options, etc., won't be far behind.

I believe Toyota has a winner here, as long as "money hungry" dealers don't tack on outrageous markups. Toyota's reliability is legendary (I can say that even after the V6 Head Gasket Incident), and I will gladly pay the somewhat higher price upfront for the Tundra, than to shellout over the years the cost of repairs for the current Big Three's Pickups.

Yes, I'm sold on Toyota - - and I'm sure they will expand this model line to satisfy even the most demanding full size truck enthusiast.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think the Tundra (and T-100) have created a new market (full-size lite?) that falls somewhere in between the mid-size Dakota and the full-size domestics.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but the Tundra must be a wider vehicle than the Dakota. Like a true full-size, the Tundra's bed is wide enough to fit 48" wide paneling flat on the floor between the wheelwells. The Dakota can't do that.

In many ways, the Tundra is sized much like the full-size 1/2 tons of 30-40 years ago. Those vehicles were not nearly as large as today's full-size 1/2 tons.

I do agree with you, however, that the Tundra/Dakota comparison is very easy to make.

Bob
  • Options
    RichRich Member Posts: 128
    I was at the Toyota Gran Prix of Long Beach this weekend. There was a 'parade' of Tundras. Mostly white. I could only see them from where we were sitting. The Tundra is a nice looking truck. I noticed the door handle on the outside of the rear doors. The design is a bit weird when one considers that the front door has to be opened BEFORE the rear door can be opened. Maybe even confusing? Again, the Tundra is a nice looking truck.

The comments I've seen in postings about price leave me breathless! ADRO (Additional Dealer Rip Off) $7000?????? Someone else said $1500 brings the price to about $30,000. ('Cuse me while get my heart restarted.) I only paid $29,100 for my Super Duty diesel 4x2 and Super Cab. I've got everything on it except leather and captian's chairs. The Tundra is a nice truck, but is it really worth the premium over the domestic models?

I've said this before. If you really want a Tundra but DON'T want to pay the ADRO, wait until the fall or winter. I think that there will be significant dealer incentives and rebates on the Tundra. This has nothing to do with T vs. C or D or F. This has nothing to do with the big Q. It's simple Econ-101. Toyota has built a factory in Indiana with an annual capacity of 100K plus vehicles. Toyota has been selling about 20K trucks per year. That leaves an excess capacity of at least 80K vehicles per year. Toyota will probably try to build something else to use up the capacity. To switch the plant between two lines is difficult. The vehicles should be similar to take advantage of the production tooling. So, there's not a lot of choice of vehicles that can be built in the new plant and take advantage of the Tundra type production tooling.

Here's my logic. There is probably excess capacity. Toyota can't afford to let the plant sit idle. I can see more Tundra trucks built than demand. There should be an excess of supply by fall or winter. An excess of supply usually breeds incentives and rebates. Your almost $30K MSRP + ADRO should fall into a respectable $23K or $24K. I know if it were me, I would try to wait it out. You're only looking at 6 or 8 months. Heck, some of us have been waiting that long for the Silverado and the Super Duty. It's a nice looking truck; but no truck is worth the ADRO.

Rich
  • Options
    jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    Rich,
    Agreed. Based on MSRP the Tundra seems, on paper, comparable to Dodge/Ford/GM. With a $7K markup, or even $1500? No way. Wait till supply catches up.
    Another thing to consider: There's a school of thought that says wait a year before you buy a new, redesigned model, to allow the company to work out the bugs. With the Tundra, you've got a whole new truck plus a whole new factory. I'm pretty sure there'll be more than a few bugs that Toyota will need to work out.
  • Options
    The dealer I talked to that was offering $1500.00 BELOW msrp, said he thinks prices will come down in the next 8 months or so after it has been on the market awhile. If they do build 100,000 a year, it will take a lot to move that many at the current msrp. IF/when I can get one at around invoice, then I will consider buying. My biggest disappointment with the truck is probably the back seat in the access cab, just looks like a square slab of foam was tacked in back there. It is definitely a spot they can work on.

I like the term "full size lite", I think it sort of describes the Tundra. I personally like the size of it except the access cab, of course if the access cab was bigger, then it would be a full size Chevy or Ford.

As for jcmdie's contention that this truck will sell a lot of Dakotas, I think he is living in a fantasy world. No Dakota will come close to the Tundra in terms of quality. While the Magnum V-8 engine has been around a long time, it is OLD technology. Dodge would be better off putting the 4.7l engine from the new JGC in that truck and working on their QUALITY control.

Of course if it wasn't for Toyota and Nissan setting the standard for quality, we would still be seeing the same noisy fall apart, rattling, no quality domestic trucks we saw in the 70's and 80's. Before everyone gets all excited and starts sending nasty messages, this is my personal experience and I stand by it.

Greg Hoppes
  • Options
    lgreg,
    That's you're story, and you're...stickin' to it, but I think it is a slam on the Dakota, and a biased hoot for the Toyota. I believe Dakota will be putting in a newer-tech engine soon. When they do, it will be as up to date as Toyotas 4.7 overhead cam engine, which is not a new design either. And I believe Toyota has had reliability problems of their own, notably with head gaskets. Which is not really a gasket problem. It's a design problem resulting from an insufficient sealing surface. Dakota also doesn't pretend to be a full size truck like the 15/16 scale Tundra.
  • Options
    Quadrunner500,

Yes Toyota has the head gasket problem, what else? springs on some 4Runners okay. The problem with Dodge, and Jeep is the problems are inconsistent. One time it is the engine, then the tranny, then the electricals, no one consistent problem. They just build them and fix them as they go instead of building them consistently good. I am not sure if this is a worker problem or if it is philosophy problem with the domestics. I still believe the build quality is inconsistent on domestics, I do however believe it is getting better.

However, I don't sit around spouting USA, USA. I just buy what I feel best suits my needs and what has the best quality. That being said, I think Toyotas have the best quslity, but I think they are overpriced for that quality. If you think a Tundra is a 15/16 size truck so be it. Don't buy one, you probably weren't going to anyway. Most of the people that come in here and rip on Toyota aren't planning on buying one anyway. They just want to spout off about their domestic and how good it is compared to Toyota. All the truly negative posts are in the "look out here comes Tundra group.

If you want to add something constructive, go drive the Tundra and then give us your opinion.

Greg Hoppes
  • Options
    The theory that the Tundra will help sell Dakotas kills me. It's like saying Burger King introduces a new tasty chicken sandwich, and all of a sudden people are going to flock to McDonalds to buy their Spicy Chicken Burger. Huh??!!

Build quality and reliability all aside, the Dakota's bed doesn't take a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat. That makes it a compact (or non full-size) in my book. As far as I'm concern, I might as well keep my Tacoma. I have nothing against the Dakota, it's a nice looking truck. You might make the comparison because you can get a big V8 in a Dakota, but if you're just looking at engines, you could make the comparison between an S-10 with 4.2L V6 and a Silverado with the same engine.

The bed being the theme of a pickup truck. The size of it does matter.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Any guesses as to crashworthness? The Tacoma's is abismal. Any crash tests planned for the new Toyota?

Silverado crash results next month. Be interested to see if GM finally figured it out.
  • Options
    Toyota17Toyota17 Member Posts: 15
    The Toyota Sienna mini-van was the safest vehicle ever tested by the NHSTA and the IIHS. Toyota said the same technology will be going into the Tundra, so expect it to be real high!!!

Also look at the 99' annual issue of the Consumer Guides, notice how they rated the Toyota, Honda, and Nissan Motor Companys the most reliable automotive companys and Chrysler, Chevrolet, and GM as one of the most UNRELIABLE cars. Look around most auto magazines all say the SAME!!! Hint, Hint!!! Once again this is just the facts, and my thoughts
  • Options
    sweetladytoosweetladytoo Member Posts: 1
    Drove the new Tundra today.I was really impressed. It was so quite inside and the ride was great. The sr5 I drove was $23000. I think they have a winner this time!June 1st they will be in the showrooms.
  • Options
    markbuck, I'm sure the Tacoma's crashworthyness is abysmal compared to the full-size big boys, but according to the IIHS http://www.highwaysafety.org/crash/pickups/crshpick.htm Tacoma compares favorably against its peers. I have my gripes about the ever increasing size of SUVs and big pickups. The new Ford Excusion might as well be called the Ford Executioner. But we'll leave that debate for another forum.
  • Options
    Toyota quality is excellent, but they are out of thier element on this one. Nissan, I've owned a few and should not be mentioned any where near the same quality as toyota or honda or most any other for that matter. As for not intending to buy, I value my time greater than to "play" in a dealer lot. I only look at what I think is a contender. Toyota has a good engine and general quality but even toyota will blow it once in a while. Look no futher than the previa.
  • Options
    mumumumu Member Posts: 1
    sweetladytoo
    Was it a V6 or V8? Extedened cab or regular
    cab?
  • Options
    desertrat1desertrat1 Member Posts: 3
    Drove a 4WD SR5 V8 Tundra today and was quite impressed with the general ride and quietness. The engine felt very responsive. I am surprised that only one rear end is available. Back seat seems a bit small and minimalist - I need to look at the Silverado which I understand has an upgraded seat. I wonder if the prices will come in some place close to invoice? Given the limited options, that might be a fair price at this time.
  • Options
    JCMDIE,

I have owned quite a few Nissans, they blow ANY domestice out of the water with regards to quality, PERIOD. Domestics are getting better, but they are still a notch below. I detest GM/Chevy, but I would most definitely look at the new Chevy trucks, that is how far I think they have come. If you don't have time to "play" at the dealer, why do you waste your time here? Just easier to snipe and complain without driving it isn't it.

desertrat1- I am 6'2" and have sat in the back seat of Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Tundra, Frontier Crew Cab, and none of them have enough room for me, if the seat in front of me is set to where I would set it to drive. My wife is only 5'1" or so but would probably fit in all fine.

I found the Chevy and Ford to be the roomiest with Chevy having a slight edge in seat comfort. All of them that had built in headrests hit me in the back of the neck. The Dodge wasn't quite as roomy to me. The Tundra and Frontier Crew Cab were almost impossible for me to fit in, and I don't think that the Frontier seat was even as far back as I would put it. The Frontier seats were nicer than the Tundra. I get the feeling that Toyota just pasted a piece of upholstered foam in the back and the seat is almost vertical. The Chevy and Ford had a slight recline which made them more comfortable. For me none of them would be perfect, but more than likely I wouldn't be sitting back there. However most of my friends are similarly sized and would be uncomfortable back there as well.

Greg Hoppes
  • Options
    1greg I have to disagree regarding nissan quality. Based on my ownership experiences, thier quality/reliability is WELL below average. I wouldn't consider a nissan truck. As for my wasting my time on this board, I gather information that will hopefully save me time and money in the future.
  • Options
    Nissan is desperate for a buyer. Enough said.
  • Options
    I keep seeing this Nissan commercial that claims some new and exciting new models are coming out soon. Never mind it is a rip-off of a VW commercial of the same theme, I wonder what Nissan have up their sleeves...

I agree also that Nissan quality/reliability is very good, if not on par with Toyota. It's just that their vehicles are not very aesthetically attractive.

Anyway, this is a Tundra forum so back on topic...

I agree the new Silverado/Sierra has the roomiest backseats. I guess this is about one of the very few times I'm glad I'm 5'7". The Tundra fits me just fine.
This discussion has been closed.