Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome, Toyota Tundra

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Perhaps you are just baiting me with your fuel on the fire observation that Tundra is the only full sized pick-up in the market that can guarantee it's made in America by Americans....Not Chevy, not Ford, Not Dodge....But Toyota Tundra......only built in Princeton, Indiana......others are built in Canada and Mexico, etc.

It sounded so good until I looked on the label on the window for SR5 4x4 Access Cab V8 that says US content 35%, Japan 50%. The Hoosier state was kind enough to kick in $70 million to build the factory in their state. The benefit is taxes collected on the wages paid out by Toyota, but that's it. The profits leave the country for Asia. G.M. has not neglected Indiana either. Silverados and Sierras are built in Fort Wayne.
  • dthereaultdthereault Member Posts: 2
    I have about 1000 miles on my new Tundra. I like the truck, especially the engine and transmission, but I have experienced one major problem. There is a flutter or vibration in the front end that the dealer can't fix. They showed me a tech memo from Toyota on the problem that did list ranges of VIN's of which mine fell within. They have already rebalanced the wheels, re-aligned the front end and replaced the steering wheel--all of which made no discernible difference. I am waiting for them to try something else. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem. Also, I would be interested in anyone's comments about the amount of vibration transfered to the cab in general. I find that the cab shakes considerably more than other trucks I have owned. I have a 4x4 Access Cab with a bench seat. The console shakes so bad that you can't even use the cupholder. Anyway, it would be nice to know if anyone else has noticed any of this.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    dthereault,
    I sure hate to hear that news. I hope they are able to fix your problem. Do you by happen to have the range of V.I.N. #'s handy. If so, please let us know what they are. Keep us posted. Thanks
  • citroen7citroen7 Member Posts: 62
    I would seriously look at the lemon law contract you signed and the dealer legally had to give to you. I would contact the Attorney General of your State without telling the dealer(they deserve no special treatment, they think that of you for sure) Then with the Attorney Generals returned advise to dealer letter insist that they take back the truck with a full refund and possible damages for time lost and inconvenience to you. Then seriously reconsider repurchasing that model truck from that manufacturer and especially dealer. Repeat do not contact your dealer before hearing from your Attorney General, they will only bully you and make you feel small and insignificant(their job).
  • tundramiketundramike Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2000 Tundra now for about 2 weeks.
    I leased a 4x4 SR5 V8 Access Cab in sunfire red pearl with oak interior. MSRP was $25,585. Optional Equipment: Weather Package (CK), stereo CD upgrade (DZ), Convenience package (CQ), Fog lamps (LF), 5 spoke alloy wheels with p265/70r16 tires (AL), Captain chairs (CC), and Carpet mats (CF). Total Price = $28,240. I also had the dealer install an under the rails bedliner.

Some general observations:

Overall, I like the truck very much. It handles much like a car and has a remarkably smooth and quiet ride. My gas mileage has been about 15 MPG with 70%highway/30%city. I have not hauled or towed anything yet as the engine is still being broken in. I am hoping the gas mileage will improve a bit after break-in. I have been using 86 pump fuel with no knocking or other engine trouble. Will a higher octane rating give better mileage?

Some minor things that need improved:
    There is a terrible blind spot behind the drivers left shoulder.
    The clock is in a terrible position on the console. You have to lean way back and look down and to the right to see it.

With regard to some previous posts:
    stereo...mine sounds great!
    vibration...I feel a slight vibration when going over large bumps in the road, but nothing more than i would expect in any pickup. There certainly is no huge front end vibration and i feel confident putting drinks in the cup holder.
    Compared to other pickups i have ridden in, i think it is overall VERY smooth.

BTW...i think that citroen7 offers GOOD advice about pursuing the lemon law route for dthereault.
    In Ohio if 3 repairs do not fix the problem then it is considered a lemon. I would think that Toyota (the manufacturer not the dealer) would be eager to resolve your problem hastily. I think they would want to stand by this new truck and resolve issues like yours immediately. Otherwise, sales will be hurt tremendously.

Regarding the bashing between domestic owners and Toyota loyalists:

I do not think that Toyota will lure many Ford or Chevy die-hards away from F-150s or Silverados. There is something very American about those companies and their products and i understand the intense loyalty people have for them.

Yet everyone is in some degree a product of their upbringing. We had several Fords and Chevys growing up and i remember frequent break downs and problems. I have an Uncle who worked at GM and i think that is one reason my family kept getting domestic cars and trucks despite the trouble. I know there are thousands of others who had domestics their whole lives and never had a bit of trouble. So their experience is different.

When i got married, my wife had an old Camry and and we inherited a very old corolla. We had no problems with either one. Since then we have had 2 more Camrys, 2 more Corollas, a Sienna, and now our first pickup. We have NEVER had a problem with any of these cars. Granted we lease, and never put more than 60,000 miles on any of them (except for our original old camry and corolla). Our experience might well be the same with any of the domestics with such low mileage, but for me it is not worth taking that chance. I think buyers like me is who Toyota is targeting. They would be making MANY more than 100,000 units if they were trying to lure the domestic customers in large quantity. Anyway, in America we can own any car we want to, so being a Toyota fan is very American in that sense.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 1greg1greg Member Posts: 40
    Sounds like a lot of trouble for a windshield. Maybe I am jaded but all of the last three vehicles I have owned have had broken windshields from stones. Since I usually purchase my vehicles in November and December, the roads are generally already getting sanded and a broken windshield is a normal thing. I will usually not replace until I get ready to trade or sell off. The joys of living in Colorado are: you will have a broken windshield at some point, if you don't, give it a few months because it will happen. If it doesn't affect your vision, I wouldn't replace but a cracked windshield doesn't bother me.

One again thanks to all for the updates on problems, mileage and other issues.

Greg Hoppes
  • joeldjoeld Member Posts: 3
    I also have a complaint about the vibration in the bench seat fold down cup holder/arm rest. When I drive over moderately bumpy roads, the arm rest shakes a lot. But when my wife rides in the passenger seat, it is much less noticable. I think it is because the middle (bench) part of the seat is cantilevered over the transmission, and the rails to hold the passenger seat are only under that seat. The cantilevered part starts to shake a little bit, but the armrest multiplies that shaking. Having just a little weight in the passenger seat damps it down enough to make it not noticealbe. Unfortunately, I am the only one in this truck most of the time. Also, I have a little drift to the right. I will be contacting the dealer tommorow.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    I don't think any thing which is 4x4, weighs 4500lbs with an 11.6" ground clearance can "handle" like a car. ;-) Perhaps you meant "ride" like a car? That the Tundra definitely does. Just a minor technicality - no flame intended.
  • paulswpaulsw Member Posts: 3
    I second what Tundramike stated in his letter. A lot of words of common sense regarding upbringing and experiences.
    As noted in previous posts, my Tundra was to arrive on 7/24. Dealer called me today and said it will be two weeks beyond that. I don't think I'll live until August 6th! I asked if any other Tundras were arriving that were close to what I wanted but ALL of their allotment is pre-sold. Tundra owners, please keep me posted on your experiences. I'll have to live through you guys for a while.
  • artpartp Member Posts: 156
    I hate to inform you that I own a 97 Dodge Dakota that I am trading in for the Tundra. The Dakota DOES NOT out-perform the Tundra in anyway, except looks, but that's debatable. I've always owned German or American cars/trucks and have thought of Japanese autos as cliche and yuppie. I've outgrown the midsize Dakota and would love to get one of those GMC Sierra's.

It's a matter of paying 30k (granted for any truck) and getting only 150k miles and repair bills along the way. Many of my friends and neighbors own GM trucks, I have seen too many horror stories to commit myself to spending that kind of money on something only to have a possibly short life span and possible repair bills.

The 97 Dakota I have has 55k miles on it. It IS a good truck but I've had to spend $500 recently on a power steering issue. Only to have the power steering pump replaced with a noisier one. Dodge tells me it's "normal". It's so friggin loud I'm embarrassed to drive it.

I guess the money has become more important than the image of driving a foriegn truck (I know they're from Indiana).
    Just for fun, I looked in the classifieds for the oldest, highest mileage truck for sale. Highly unscientific, but the highest I found was a Chevy S10 pu, original owner, 174,000 miles. There was a Toyota with 165,000 miles in there too. No significant difference. Probably see similar ads in your town.

Your Dakota only has 55,000 miles on it. Why are you worried about finding a truck to last 150,000 or more when you don't keep them that long? Face it. Most of us don't. Usually we tire of them and trade before we wear them out.

A power steering problem is unfortunate, but the reality is every truck has an achilles heel. And all trucks and cars need maintenance and parts to remain viable over the long term.

My '90 S10 Blazer has 107,000 miles. I think it's a great truck, but like all of them, needs repairs to stay in service. It needed some clutch work, shocks, mufflers, etc. Older vehicles need more maintenance, and it's to be expected.

But having gone through the experience of having a motor replacement for a 1989 Nissan Maxima fresh in memory, I can tell you if you do need a major replacement like that, it's much cheaper, and so are the parts, for a domestic like yours than for an import. And the Tundra is still a foreign import even though assembled in Princeton Indiana, US content 35%, Japan content 50% according to the label on the window.
    I said the Dakota was a good truck. I'm getting rid of it because my family has outgrown it. I think it's probably one of the better trucks out there. I just need more power and more room. I also made the miskate of getting a 5 speed. It is my intention to keep my vehicle until "it's finished".

I am not getting rid of the Dakota because of single power steering issue. I brought that up because of the "it's normal" comment from the dealer. Trust me, the noise is extremely excessive.

If you take reliability out of the equation I think the new Sierra is an equal or better truck. However relibility DOES matter.

I hate to bring this into it but...

I looked in consumer reports (granted, these guys are not automotive experts). Generally speaking, GM products scored the most problems of any other brand. There were more GM products on the "models to avoid". This had some effect on my GM perception, but only a fraction.
  • t100toddt100todd Member Posts: 16
    I'm new to this place but would like to say that all of your posts about the Tundra have been educatinal and right on the money!

I test drove the Green Jade Tundra V8 4x4 Access Cab last month and liked it a lot! the leather seats are awesome and the wood grain interior garnered my attention!

I buy from the same dealer all the time and are definately a Toyota person! I cuurrently have a 1996 Toyota T100 SR5 Extended cab in metallic blue. I love my T100 but need a 4x4 or I wouldn't be buying a new one. The V8 power doesn't hurt either! I personally think the Tundra looks "Sharp!"

When I test drove the Tundra there is INDEED a very dangerous blind spot when I drove it! I specifically test drove the Tundra on a rainy day! The truck does take some time to stop but not as much time as my T100! The blind spot is on the driver side. As for the rattle ... I have yet to notice that! YIKES! Very Bad deal! I would check into my states lemmon law! The dealer sees you as a dummy and a commision! I know ... I sold cars for two years while in college! Toyota's buy the way!

The A/C works better and the "On the Fly" 4x4 is nice. Pretty "Slick!"

This Saturday I will go to the dealership armed for bear! I have envoice, dealer holdback, option costs, yada yada yada ... I will be very interested in what they will give me for my T100! It is in excellent condition and only has 24K!

Isn't buying a car great? One thing I do have in my favor is equity! Its worth more than I owe so at least I could come out slighly ahead! If they don't sell at the price I like I will simply leave driving a 1996 model! Not too bad!

The two trucks they have on the lot are the Red pearl and the Brilliant White! I'm leaning towards the White Tundra. I just can't do the side boards that they have on the Red one!

I did notice that the Tundra does not have a lot of room in the back! the leg and head room in the cab is sufficient!

BTW, my wife loves her Camry too! Great automobile!

Wish me luck!
    Todd~~
    Your Comments Below

"Dynamic brake proportioning makes better
    use of the rear brakes by electronically modulating
    pressure for maximum effectiveness. Add eight
    hundred pounds of weight and see if the toy brakes20 feet quicker."

Actually the Toyota does have the same modulating break system. One of the test results was while towing 1200 lbs, and yes, the Toyota stopped quicker.
  • present4upresent4u Member Posts: 52
    I am interested to know what you'll get for your T-100 as a trade-in toward a Tundra. My brother is in the same boat and I suspect is not about to let his little city-boy brother get a larger truck than he tools up and down Big Bear mountain.

Last time he was at the dealer's lot with me, his eyeballs were bouncing back and forth between his T-100 and the ominous black 4x4 "Darth Tundra" model I was looking at. He admits his T-100 is underpowered for his use, but still enjoys it. That may change soon. His new redhead girlfriend has a gorgeous red Dodge Durango SUV that has *awesome* power, styling, and comfort. He's getting jealous and it's not his nature to get left behind under any circumstances.

Please make sure to return and tell us how far the dealer went on your T-100 trade-in.

I place my order this weekend on the Limited Tundra I want. Hope it comes within a few months.

I sure am bummed that the Stellar Blue paint scheme only comes on the SR5 model. With the Limited, you can only choose between red, slightly deeper red, 'Fish and Game Dept.' green/tan, and three other shades of black and gray. The SR5s have four more colors available!
    Still the GMC weighs 800 lbs more. Both towing 1200 lbs. So the the toyota should of towed 2000 lbs or add 800 extra weight, all things being equal,why people can't comprehend this is beyond me. Nice try. Again if the toy had the GMs brakes it would stop 40 feet quicker. Four discs being twice the stopping power. I had a 95 and a 97 GMC and I admit I replaced front pads often, I also had 7 toyotas including a 94 T100 and replaced their front pads often. Ok, I do tend to tailgate, I'm getting better but I'm pretty sure my 99 GMC is not going to wear out brakes like the others.
    Citroen writes:

"Still the GMC weighs 800 lbs more. Both towing
    1200 lbs. So the the toyota should of towed 2000
    lbs or add 800 extra weight, all things being
    equal,why people can't comprehend this is beyond
    me. Nice try."

Well, considering that the Tundra is only a 17/18ths 'non-Full size' truck, isn't the 800 less pounds an added benefit? Slightly less space -- although spacious enough for 99% of full-size truck buyers -- equals more stopping power.

Therefore, I conclude that one of two things needs to happen:

1. GMC trucks need to go on a diet.

... or

2. GMC truck *owners* need to go on a diet.

Which one applies to you, Citroen?
    Just because the GM's breaks are bigger to accommodate the extra weight of the GM doesn't mean the GM stops faster.

BOTTOM LINE

The Tundra out brakes the GM with light loads or no load. You can if and wish all you want.

Maybe a better argument for you would be...

OK the Tundra stops faster with 1200 lbs., but the GM stops faster with 5000 Lbs.

Are you the same person ranting and raving earlier about buying American?

I think most people would buy American if they believed they were getting a comparable product (for arguement sake, let's not debate which product is better now). And we do buy American when it makes sence to us. Some thoughts for you...

Isn't the monitor (CRT) you're using to view this message made in Japan or Korea? Aren't the close on your back made in China? Do you like your Japanese made television? Do you know the steel your truck is made up of came from Japan? The UAW patches are probably made in China!!

You're nothing but a hypocrit.

Now we both know you buy foreign made products and it's really not your fault right? Why don't you get off of our [non-permissible content removed] for wanting a Toyota over the GM product that will fall apart before we even get it home from the dealership. Go back to the "boinking my father-in-law while my mom/sister videotapes" conference.
  • jcm1jcm1 Member Posts: 48
    Ok back to the topic.....I've had three dealers in the last day contact me with what I'm looking for....SR5 4x4 access with captain seats..black of course...I'm starting to get the feeling from all the calls that there are plenty of trucks out there with no names attached. I don't want to pay anymore then $500 over. Am I dreaming??? I'm Trading in a 96 Pathfinder which I'm sure They will make a few Grand on...Why aren't they happy with a $2500+ profit....I have a feeling I'll be walking a few times...Any dealers out there who would like to say something? One thing for sure. If I walk I will make it clear that they will never hear from me again! Dam I love making them squirm like fish out of water till they scream for help!!!
    As long as they can sell all they make as fast as they arrive, some potential buyers are going to walk if they don't bid high enough.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Heres your Chevy quality Citroen LOL muhahahahahaOur editor-in-chief picked up the GMC Sierra at the end of May and drove it from San Diego to the Mile High City--Denver. During that drive he noticed that the truck was well-appointed and roomy inside. But what really blew him away was the 5300 V8 engine, which he labeled "extraordinary."

Still, several complaints cropped up during this long haul with the vehicle. First, our editor found the seats to be extremely uncomfortable. Despite many adjustments, there was nothing that could be done except to live with a sore back. Second, anyone who drives primarily on the pavement will want to skip the Z71 suspension, which makes on-road driving too choppy. A man in Utah who drives a Chevy with a Z71 option suggested lowering the air pressure in the tires for a better ride. Finally, our driver found himself wishing for an overdrive on/off switch for coasting down long hills and he wondered why the SLT lacks an external temperature gauge and a padded center-console top.

Despite these grievances, the Sierra boasts first-rate ergonomics, a fantastic powertrain with smooth and seamless shifts, remarkably direct steering, good brakes that have only a hint of the old GM "dead pedal" feel, a commodious rear seat and plenty of storage.

One Colorado staffer found that the Sierra's truck bed was great for hauling bricks, drywall and two huge boxes containing lawn chairs around town. Basically, it's perfect for transporting materials for any home-improvement project a suburbanite could hope to tackle. The third door also came in handy for easy loading of camping equipment, luggage and passengers.

On a short camping trip to the mountains, power proved adequate, but the engine let you know when it was working hard by emitting quite a bit of noise. The truck doesn't feel nearly as powerful at five- or 10-thousand feet as it did at sea level. On an unpaved road, we found the suspension to be harsh. After hitting a small rock in the road, a 100-pound passenger had to reach quickly for the truck's grab bar in order to keep from bouncing high enough in the seat to hit her head on the roof of the truck. Back in the city, we found the Sierra difficult to maneuver due to its massive size and a huge turning radius.

Build quality is troublesome as well. When our shortest editor tried climbing into the passenger seat of the Sierra, she grabbed hold of the interior molding surrounding the A-pillar to hoist herself up. Unfortunately, the molding popped right off in her hand! This doesn't speak well for tough-truck engineering and explains why grab handles aren't available in this position--the A-pillar trim can't support any weight.

Colorado drivers were delighted with the truck's interior. The black leather seats were more comfortable for some than for others, but the headrests felt a bit too hard. The rear seat is roomy; our features editor's 5-foot-10-inch, 155-pound husband rode back there in comfort with no complaints about a lack of leg or headroom. The plastic washable floor mats are much appreciated, as they make cleaning up much easier than with traditional cloth floor mats.

Later in the month, our editor-in-chief took a washer and a queen-size bed on a cross-town haul. Not surprisingly, weight in the bed dramatically improved ride quality, but he was 2 inches short of being able to close the tailgate with the bed in the back. A 2-year-old's car seat fits nicely into the backseat of the Sierra, rendering the passenger side-airbag cutoff switch useless. And, we were annoyed that the doors locked automatically when we started driving, but didn't unlock when the car was stopped. This meant we were constantly hitting the "unlock" button before anyone could get out of the car.

If the GMC had a fourth door, better build quality and more comfortable seats, we'd be much happier. Still, it's nice to have a truck around--especially one that looks so good.

Total Odometer Reading: 2,883
    Best Fuel Economy: 18.3 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 15.5 mpg
    Body Repair Costs: $0
    Maintenance Costs: $0
    Problems: Right A-pillar interior trim is broken and sagging, popping noise coming from driver's door hinge when opening and closing door.
    No I only believe the tundra is not in the GMC class, its really in Dodge Dakota class(17/18ths). A little bigger and it brakes slower and is slower than the Dakota(318 V8) but not better built or designed. I actually bought all japanese products until recently. The 99 GMCs are just better now. The Japanese used to make much better products. Audio, Auto, Cameras, you name it. No longer. Very little high end audio is japanese, Krell, Cello, Manley, Cary, check an absolute sound or Stereophile, Euro cameras, Alpa, Leica, and auto has caught up in value, Buell, STS Caddy, Audi,. Japan is in trouble now (in Depression really). Some of their banks have defaulted and more will soon, the Yen is overvalued(they refuse to devalue it which would fix their problem), the Japanese still have false pride and believe in them but they are ghost banks(they lent out 7 times the deposits). Europe and the U.S has caught up and gone past them. Not much is built in Japan either, mostly china and other pacific rim countries. The three toy dealers in my area still have the same tundras in their lots I saw a month ago. Lots of drug dealers have been getting busted here lately so not much stupid money around to buy them I guess. I'm told they'll sell them for $250 over, but still no bargin at 17% mark up. Go in and insult them with 17% off sticker. You might own one. Happy vibrating.
    lol.

Quote from Edmunds long term 99 gmc sierra:

"Problems: Right A-pillar interior trim is broken
    and sagging, popping noise coming from driver's
    door hinge when opening and closing door. "

muhahahahha. Hilarious. On a brand new truck this is really laughable. muhahahahahahaha.

Heres your GM quality citroen! Enjoy.
    still has locking diff. rear discs, message center, transmission temp, engine hour meter, compass mirror, autotrac, heavier duty frame, more power, more room, choice of ratios, choice of suspensions, choice of 5 engines, higher resale and is vibration free, it appears several hundred toys in the Vin # range are going to be lemon lawed back to the factory and sold again as referbished junk. Hope you get one of them.
    Your worried about the plastic trim piece over the a-pillar coming off? You must be joking, right? It didn't fall off in any case, it was pulled off. Utterly insignificant. Snap it back up there.

Your editor has a bad back. GMC seats are great. Comparing them to those flat captains chairs in the Tundra is a subject where, well you don't want to go there.

As for the Z71 being stiff, well they are just shocks. These are trucks. Some people prefer a firm ride, or want extra control when hauling loads. Corners nice and flat too. Shocks can be changed to suit your tastes.

The automatic door locking feature can be switched off with a software update installed by the dealer.

Doesn't have a padded center console top? Gee, I don't know. You can't please everyone. That read like a pretty decent review to me.
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Quadrunner:

I tend to agree with you 100% on this. I agree that Toyotas have great customer service and the Tacoma I had for almost 4 years was "never" in the shop for even one single repair in 47k miles.

BUT! The Chevy trucks are much better equipped for what a truck is used for. Comon' stiff ride??? Yeah, it rides like a truck capable of rugged and durable off road conditions. You have a "choice" on the Chevy to get a better highway ride package that the driver can "adjust" (adjustable ride control) to their own liking. Toyota,,,one size "must" fit all and no choices of such things that these people are faulting the Chevy for.

Point blank, the Tacoma I had was a great reliable truck, and I have bitched about the big threes' customer service for years. However, the new Chevy is far from inferior to the Tundra and having tested all three and having owned both a new model Ford, and Chevy, the Chevy by far is more bang for the dollar than Toyota. I think there is more of a gamble in some aspects of reliability and moreso the customer service with the chevy, but this gamble definately does not outweigh the other benefits the new Chevy Silverado brings. It is the example of truck all manufacturers should mold from.

I was unbiased and somewhat in the Toyota owners corner on a lot of the comments here until now. Sounds like these guys are whining and really digging deep to find faults with the GM product.
    I don't feel the need to "prove" I have a better truck than the competition. Seems awfully funny that others here feel the need to defend and promote their Toyota truck. If it is, in fact, better, the truck should speak for itself and nothing need be said bad about other trucks unless it is really significant and pertinent FACTS!

I have had a heck of a bad experience with Ford. The 98 Ford I had was absolute junk and I will tell anyone I know about that bad experience.

BUT! I have owned six new Ford trucks since 1985 and never had ANY trouble with 5 of the six I have owned. I think its the new model of the Fords. That doesn't mean that I can factually say that ALL Fords are junk. But, based on my actual experience and the experience of others, I can say that the new Fords have a lot more problems than the older model had.

I guess all this was just to say that you cant make blanket statements about a vehicle on hearsay or because one test had something bad to say or because of one bad experience.
    I know plenty of Toyota owners that have not had the good luck with Toyota's that I had with mine.
    I only owned one. It might have been the exception to a terribly made truck line.

How do you Toyota people feel about that kind of blanket statement?

Lets keep personal opinions out of this arguement and stick to the facts.

:-)
    z71 writes:

" Lets keep personal opinions out of this arguement
    and stick to the facts."

umm....yeah....its a fact that when you grab
    onto something in your truck and it pulls
    off like the cheap piece of plastic it is that its built like crap.

Quad Runner writes:

"Your worried about the plastic trim piece over the
    a-pillar coming off? You must be joking, right? It
    didn't fall off in any case, it was pulled off.
    Utterly insignificant. Snap it back on".

LOL!!!!!! Its a brand new truck! YOu should NOT
    have to "snap" anything back on that shouldnt move in the first place. Sorry. A large part of the interior snapping off reflects on the rest
    of the cruddy gmc fisher-price interior. I like the looks and room of the Chevy trucks, and even considered getting one, but that god AWFUL interior is still the same as it was back in 91.

I remeber test driving one back in 97. I loved the leather captains chairs, and the seats felt comfy to me. But that interior. Thats lousy, fisher price looking interior with the cheapest plastic. THey ACTUALLY use a STICKER on the auto 4wd button. A clear little sticker thats crooked. I swear that interior is designed
    by 6 year olds. Chevies have had, and do have,
    without QUESTION, the most ugly, cheap, outdated
    interiors in all the automotive industry.
    Thats one of the reason why FORD outsells them.
    Ford learned their lesson and rewrote the book on how they do interiors. Now Fords interiors look
    great and feel good, especially the f150 , explorer and ranger.
    I really don't know what you mean about the interior of the new GM. The 99s are entirely new in every way. I know, I had a 95, 96 and a 97. There were a few and maybe a few left of what they called a classic, with original body and 350 and they called it a 99. Left over parts from the strike I presume.
    Talk about cheap interiors. I had a 94 T100. When I took off the drivers door panel to install a speaker, I couldn't believe 1st how cheap the plastic connectors that held the panel on and the fact that there was no, repeat no, impact beam in the door. A bicycle doing 20 would probably dent it in 6 inches (just chincey). In 95 they were shamed into putting one in. (but a small 1/2 inch diameter one)
    Regarding toys mechanical integrity. I can tell you I spent many hours in the service waiting room. In fact, I can tell you the names of the service managers kids. Their service bays are busy and not doing oil changes either. But I wasn't upset at all. Most of it was under warranty. Brakes used hard, starters used 20 or more times a day, generators, water pumps, fuel pumps, wiper motors, but again hard miles, and usually under warranty. So I have nothing against toys, their upkeep is like any other. Motors never failed (especially their diesel, please bring them back) but many parts around the drive train needed replacing at just about the end of the warranty. They are basically a light duty vehicle, remember, not much different than their car parts if any. Built smaller, lighter, and cheaply as possible, as they are interested in profits. Again, those bargaining for a new Tundra, give the sales, and especially the sales managers, a very, very, bad time. Its Gods work.
    Now, you want to talk about interior quality. Toyota's are the last on the list. The radios (and I do mean radios, not stereos) sounds like it is coming out of a tin can. This seems very odd to me when Japan is suppose to be cutting edge with consumer stereo equipment.
    Not in their vehicles.

The seating of Toyota has always been hard and without padding whatsoever. Interior colors, what a joke. You have no real choices.
    Even the "luxury" items one can get are not standard equipment. Everything on the Toyota's are optional and at a very stiff price.

I can't believe you can call GM interior cheap when compared to Toyota. I can admit that Toyota has had some quality built vehicles, but Toyota's have NEVER been in tune with luxury at all. Japan has always built their vehicles with purpose only in mind. Interior luxury has never been priority on any Toyota ever built, even the Camry and the Avalon were pretty basic on the inside. No character or class at all. Americans have always been more frivolous and put more into luxury and comfort.

What you say about a piece coming off on the GM, I can find many such items of question on your Toyota. Cheap Fisher price plastics??? I know of no such type "sticker" on anything in my Silverado. If any vehicle has cheap interior, it would definately be the foreign vehicles, as this has never been an area the Japanese know much about because in Japan (having lived there for 3 years) nothing is frivolous. They make everything as "useful" and "purposeful" as possible, with the least amount of money possible. They do not believe in spending foolishly in any way. Luxury cars to the Japanese is foolish spending.

You seem very insecure with yourself and your Toyota. Put your energies to good use. Write letters to Toyota blowing smoke up their butt about how great their products are. We don't care.

Your attitude discredits anything you say here.
    Well went down to the local toy dealer after some sleezy A Hole called me two nights in a row stating the truck of my dreams was coming in today and the other dealers don't know it. Well he wasn't there and the sales manager said your truck of your dreams isn't here but there is one coming in tonight but thats been sold. Next one should be here sometime in mid August. Plus he made it clear that it was selling for retail. I've just about had it......I Thought I really wanted a Tundra, But to many things about it piss me off!!! The vibration problem that someone else posted has got to make you think...I think anybody is brain dead buying one until some more info is posted on what this problem is and how it was fixed. Don't let that New truck disease take control of your brain!!!! Its a powerful!!!!
    WTF....no keyless entry!!!! ok I'm spoiled with my Pathfinder SE..bu come on...the Kia probably has keyless entry. Dam I'll miss my heated mirrors to.....and ok....everybody has there driving position...you know...you like to put your left leg up and rest your arm on it or you like to drive with one hand on the wheel and the other one is doing who knows what....so it REALLY pisses me of that I cant be comfortable in my driving position. The interior sloping away from the drivers window does not leave me enough room to rest my arm there when the window is shut....call me insane, but it pisses me off. Should I even talk about the back? I have driven foreign cars and trucks for the last 15 years. I Never thought I would buy a American car again..but I need a truck with a v8...and the Tundra is just not making me want to die for it.....the only thing that is pissing me off about the chevy is no fourth door.( dealer just told me January for that) and yes the gray colored knobs that look like someone used a bottle of white out to make the lines on them. But sorry to say I might have to bite the reliability issue (if there is one) and take a chance. It is a impressive truck to sit in and drive.....
    your a true moron. Every magazine review
    refers to toyota interiors as" typical toyota, first class all the way, superior fit and finish."

What sources and examples do you have to show that The tundras interior falls apart like the chevys? I dont see any. I only see you being defensive.

You have no hard facts or reviews to back up your claims. Why dont you try bringing something substantial to the discussion besides heresay and lies? Get lost and dont come back until you have PROOF to back up your claims. bye bye.
    JCM writes:

"the only thing that is pissing me
    off about the chevy is no fourth door.( dealer just
    told me January for that) and yes the gray colored
    knobs that look like someone used a bottle of
    white out to make the lines on them. But "

LOL. Right on the money. I agree with some of the things you said about the tundra.
    I personnaly dont like the looks of the tundras front end. It looks like the front af a lexus ls 400. The rest of it is sharp looking, and the usual toyota class leading ground clearance is there too.

Im gonna wait and get some driver and technical feedback before i decide to do anyhting.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I would like to see more post about the Tundra and less of the domestics.

Thanks
    JCM1 writes:

"WTF....no keyless entry!!!! ok I'm spoiled with
    my Pathfinder SE..but come on...the Kia probably has keyless entry. Damn I'll miss my heated mirrors too....."

Keyless entry? Heated mirrors?! Why, didn't you know that manly 'Merkin truck drivers weld the doors shut and jump through the open windows like the Duke boys? REAL 'Merkin trucks don't have sissy heated mirrors! The only mirror you need is the center interior rear-view just to see how good-looking you are driving to where you're going! Who cares if the outside mirrors are comfortable in the rain and fog?! Open the dang window and wipe them off with your construction-worker bandanna, for Pete's sake.

Spoog writes:

"I personnaly dont like the looks of the tundras
    front end. It looks like the front af a lexus ls
    400."

I know what you're talking about, but I think that there's something appealing about the non-descript look of the front end. The Toyota glossy color photo literature that shows the black SR5 Tundra on the first fold-out page seems rather attractive to me. I have to admit I like the upturned curves on the headlights. If they were round like the Mercedes SLK 300, you might have a point that I could agree with.

Simply a matter of taste.
    ll.1 inch ground clearance vs. 10.5, real exciting breakthrough improvement, might actually make a differance on your planet.
    Toyota needs to give us more options for less money, period.
    jcm1)Telling you mid August is playing you with the false shortage scam. If they wanted trucks on their lot they would have them. They are thinking its better strategy to play the scam and make people order them and they might be right. They often don't have the colour or options you want. Dealers can, 1. get a truck from another dealer that day, in a vehicle swap, 2. Get one in two or three days from the distribution center(usually less than 500 mile drive, they have drivers to get them). That is of course if you pay them their home run price. Make it clear to the sales manager that if he won't sell you a truck at or below invoice someone else will and not seeing you again, means they did.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    They're just trucks. Geez. All vehicles have pros and cons. Anyone who spouts apostle-like slogans like "Chevy rules" or "Toyota sucks" ad-nauseum might as well hold up a sign that says "I have a 3rd grade education!"

I now know why pro "wrestling" is so popular.
    I do agree with whoever said that Toyota stock
    " stereos" blow.
    Spoog:

I have produced facts. You on the other hand are spouting nothing but opinionated crap.

As your name suggests, sounds like the best part of you ran down yo momma's leg or into her mouth one.

Say what you want in reply. I ignore ignorancy and you are the epitome of it. I will not waste my time conversing with someone who is never wrong, is alway's right, and is ALWAYS a complete horses back end.

Get a life, loser.
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    I have a 97 F150 4WD Lariat that my dad wants more that I do. I am in the market so I did a little hunting today. Went to the Toyota dealer, he has 3 Tundra's, 1 4WD and 2 2WD, all are SR5 Access cabs. I drove the 4WD and try as I might could not get it to vibrate (drove it for over 60 miles)all speeds. Rode better than my Ford, but was rather disappointed in the price and lack of "necessities" like the lighting package on the Ford, remote keyless entry, etc. Right next door was a Chevy dealer. I walked over and drove a Z-71 Silverado 4WD. Very impressed with the power of the 5300 V8. Now I am all confused. After reading the previous posts I guess I am sorta confused at what to get. I would like another F150, but don't want to get a new vehicle that looks very similar to the one I am getting rid of.
    (Aint it heck trying to figure how to spend 30 Grand?) Guess I'll flip a coin....
    Well I'm back to the Tundra...after looking through all the topics on the Chevy...#654 was the cake.
    I'm now still waiting to see a 4x4 access cab with captain seats on a lot....better yet has anyone seen or have a "Limited"?? Dealer today in Naushua, NH said the "Limited" are around. Of course I can order it. But sure would like to see one first. Anybody out there buy a truck from this dealer?? I'm still concerned about the vibration problem back in post #370. I'm hoping we hear again from him with a update. Anymore owner feedbacks out there...dam they're all out driving around in there new trucks!!
    If the NC stands for North Carolina, I am curious if the dealers you spoke with(both Toyota and Chevy) offered any price discounts and how much. I ordered my Tundra from a NC dealer and would like to know your experience at both dealerships. By the way, I considered the Chevy also but it simply would not fit in my garage. Plus I kind of liked the idea of driving a truck that was different from the other thousand on the road in my area. Toyota's reliability was a big factor as well. Thanks.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I agree with you
    Man you are vulgar.

What facts have you produced,
    and where are your references?

I quoted the Edmunds long term review about
    the Chevy 99.

Where are your sources for the claims you make about the Tundra? Thats right, you dont have any.
    Your a waste of space. Get lost Jerk.
  • rhinncrhinnc Member Posts: 66
    Without sitting down and haggling the Toyota dealer said $1500 off sticker to start with.
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    I've owned Toyota, Dodge, and Ford trucks (still own a F600 that runs great with 257K miles)and I worked for a company that owned GM trucks. The Dodge had transmission problems when I got in it to take it home. The short story is that after about a dozen trips to the dealer I was told that it was normal and I was the owner. I didn't even consider a Dodge since then. My Fords overheated, lost distributor timing gears and had again some transmission problems. They also had trouble getting past the gas stations. The GM products saw more shop time than work time (clutch bearings and starters. My Toyota has just ran and ran. A new clutch, filters and oil and now the AC clutch is all that went wrong. The dash has cracked and the seat need a new cover. Not too bad for 14 years.

I am getting a new truck. I didn't know what I wanted to get. I looked at everything from a Nissan to a Freightliner. I test drove more than I care to mention. The Toyota Tundra got my vote. It should be here in late July. I'll keep you posted. All in all if you want a truck look at the Tundra. My SR5 extended cab V8 automatic with bed liner came in at $23,000 plus tax and tag.
  • patterson4patterson4 Member Posts: 2
    I have absolutely NO complaints with my 4X2 extended cab. It has exceptional power and I am getting 18.5 mpg with 80% hwy driving. (I could get more if I took it easy). I can't wait until she is broken in.

I could go on about the domestics but what does it accomplish? We won't change their minds and they won't change ours. Let's stay with Tundra info and updates and stop the pissing contest. Chevy, Dodge and Ford, go to your board.
  • t100toddt100todd Member Posts: 16
    After spending five and a half hours negotiating a price and 2 hours driving the Tundra, I finally drove home in my new Tundra this evening. I got there at 9AM and finished in the Finance Department at 5:30PM! YIKES! My wife helped me in this "War!" And believe me ... It WAS a war! We both should have won Oscars for our performances! At one point we even acted like we were arguing so that the dealership would feel that they were losing a deal ... It worked!

We HAD TO FIGHT FOR EVERY DAMN DOLLAR!!! Luckily, they wanted to deal! Unlike THREE other dealers in town!

Sticker price on my Tundra SR5 V8 4x4 Access cab was $30,858 and was able to get them to come $1400 off sticker! Not bad, I guess?! Still got hosed a bit but they did throw some "Freebies" our way!

The truck is loaded with just about everything I could want including CD player, 17 inch Good Year Tires and alloy wheels, wood grain interior, bedliner, towing package and window tint! I did pay $950 extra for the tires and NICE after market alloy wheels ... the wheels are SWEEET!
    They really spice up the white color a bunch!

The only thing that I didn't get EXACTLY what I wanted was the color! They searched a FIVE state diameter and found only ONE other Tundra with the same package! There were NO blues, greens, reds or silvers. My TWO choices were black and white. I chose the white Tundra. It's actually growing on me.

I drove the Tundra for two hours and noticed NO vibration OR any front end problems! Neither did my wife! The Tundra rides as smooth as a Lexus and is as quiet as a lark! The V8 power is smooth and effortless. The most amazing thing about the Tundra is wind noise. Their is NO wind noise! Amazing!

The V8 power is a nice change from the V6 in my T-100! This truck does "Rock&Roll!"

I loved everything about the car especially the part that says TOYOTA! This word symbolizes excellence and quality NO matter what American truck buyers think! Each to there own! American trucks DO have good points AND bad points ... just like any other vehicle! NO manufacturer is perfect. Well ... MAYBE Mercedes Benz! (At least they and their customers think So!) Ha!

As for my trade on my T-100 SR5 V6 trade in ... They gave me $14,465! The truck was loaded and had 24K! Metallic or Midnight blue in color! Best I could do with the Tundra's, now on the market!

Well, its $500+ truck payments ... OH WELL! That's what you pay for piece of mind!

Just one more tidbit I'd like to throw in ... I own a pharmacy and we have a GM plant just down the road. We handle GM employees prescription plans. Everytime a Reliable GM employee comes to get his medicine I always ask them the same question ... Is GM building anything good today? I always get the same reply ... Same cheap, unreliable [non-permissible content removed] we built yesterday!!! That is a direct quote from SEVERAL GM employees who, by the way ... Drive Dodge, Nissan and ... You guessed it, TOYOTA! Isn't that amazing? They actually admit that they DO build "Pieces of [non-permissible content removed]," that even blow up occasionally!

Todd~~~
    Will NEVER own a GM product ever ... I'd rather buy and drive a scooter! If I got real desperate I might even buy a Dodge Ram ... OOOH YUCK!
    Nah ... Isuzu all the way:)
    Hey congratulations on your new truck....Well now you really have me wanting to go down today and sweat it out with them. Your completely right about American....What was I thinking?? Somebody slap me if I mention again I was looking at he Chevy!!! Dam the New truck disease is acting up again!!!

Have Fun
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    I have driven 2 tundras...one was a V8 2wd and the other a V8 4wd. Both were impressively smooth, quiet, and fast. I have been looking primarily at the gmc sierra and tundra. I ruled out dodge and ford early from previous bad experiences...especially ford. I owned a ford car that had major malfunctions that I felt were inexcusable for a car with less than 50k miles. Admittedly, I am drawn to the toyota for reliability reasons since foreign makes seem to do better (based on independent reviews and my experience). I know that the truck is built in Indiana which does make it easier to buy foreign. I have an old dodge Ramcharger that I tow with and a 94 Accord for everyday driving...it has approx. 105k miles and has been super-reliable (some early a/c problems only). Incidentally, though it is a honda it is manufactured in the US. There seems to be no ready explanation why cars made in the US by foreign makes do better than domestics (maybe it's because domestics are being manufactured elsewhere....Mexico, etc...????). If Honda made a full size p/u I would almost buy it sight unseen.
    Anyway, I like the power, turning radius, quietness, and driving position of the Toyota as well as four doors although the rear is somewhat smaller than others (honestly, I usually don't carry extra people and it will be easier for them to ride in the toyota than squeeze into the ramcharger). I noticed a slow, fine oscillation of the steering wheel at highway speeds in the 4wd but not the 2wd----it could not be felt in the seats as a vibration, etc. but still somewhat concerning....I am still waiting on the limited anyway since that by the time you add all the options to an SR5 it is near or at that price.
    In comparison to the Sierra, the brakes felt firmer and more responsive on the toy though the best test for me would be to test while towing. (There is a great review in Boating magazine where the 2wd V8 was tested towing over 7100 lbs. without any problems Aug. 99). I do think that keyless entry should be standard at this price as well as a limited slip diff. and bench seat in the limited. I don't believe the tow/haul mode in the Sierra adds much to towing. I imagine that the Toy has a transmission that does well within the recommended towing range. I would like switching of the transfer case to be a lever which is avail in the Sierra since the pushbuttons are suspect (the 4wd malfunctioned during testing of the tundra in the latest issue of moter trend I believe.
    I will eventually buy the tundra because of their track record with reliablity and handling customer service issues. People will always have stories of bad experiences with toyota....there are exceptions to everything. Difficulties while owning my current dodge and my previous ford will prevent me from ever buying from them again. I have also reviewed the forums for gmc and chevrolet but some of the problems encountered with the 99 trucks would be infuriating and unacceptable to me.
    If only honda made a full size pickup........
This discussion has been closed.