2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

GM ENGINE KNOCK

Comments

• Options
    nomoregmnomoregm Member Posts: 158
    How many quarts of oil does an 8.1 hold? What are the recommended oil-change intervals? Am I wrong in assuming that as you near 3000 miles, you'll be dangerously low unless you monitor/add oil between changes. If that is what GM intended to do, why did they not tell everyone beforehand with owner's-manual addendums and sales information. It sounds strange to me.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I dont know

I am just passing along this info. This guy was &*^$^&$%$^($ off with gm and trading his truck in for a dodge. TO make a long story short he is keeping his chevy
  • Options
  • Options
    kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    The 8.1 holds 6.5 qt.If it gets down 1.5-2 qt you get a message saying "check engine oil level".I add a quart every 1k or so.If GM had told me before I bought the truck that the engine will knock and burn oil but that's normal I would have laughed and gone to the Ford dealer.I bought the 8.1 because it's the most powerfull gas engine available ,and I intended to supercharge it.Now the truck's a year old and has 22k on it.I'm gonna drive it 3 or 4 more years and if I still like it (I really do) I'll put a couple of grand into the engine AND supercharge it.It just sucks that I don't have enough confidence in it to do it now.

kip
  • Options
    But did not for the same reasons--no confidence. I can't believe that GM sent that guy (post 650) out believing that such high oil consumption is acceptable---sheeez! Why don't they put an oil reservoir in the truck that auto-refills back to the operating range when low! BTW, the creator of gmps.com has the same engine as you:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html

Have you been there? Worth checking out and participating. Also, there is an on-line petition at LS1.com:

http://emer.homedns.org/ls1_knock/index.asp

Anyone here who knows of other related sites or links please post them for me. Thanks.

• Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    uses a qt of oil about every 3500 to 4000 miles (I'm at ~20k).

But, I check the oil every time I fill up. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
  • Options
    who can be bothered? Check driveway every time I back out. No stain, no pain. New vehicles are not suppose to burn that much oil--but according to GM, I guess the rules are changing.
  • Options
    Mine doesnt burn oil but i do check my oil weekly (even though i fill up usually once every 10-14 days). Also check my tire pressure. Its a good habit to get into
  • Options
    ...are equiped with more sensors, alarm systems and gauges, you really only need to check your dip-stick that often if you're driving an older, leaking vehicle or a new lemon from U-know-who. I usually check mine after an oil change to make sure it was done right.
  • Options
    whatever floats your boat

Do you open you hood to inspect anything in between oil changes? I mean when i was my truck at least every 2 wks the hood goes open and i check it out to make sure everything looks fine. Also check under the truck. Maybe its just me but i would like to catch any problems early.

Preventative maintenance goes a long way
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Nomore makes a good point. I owned an '87 Acura Integra. Never used a drop of oil the whole time I owned it.

I have an '95 Nissan Maxima. Same deal - no oil use.

My '78 Dodge Power Wagon never used a drop. Are you telling me that if you buy a Chev, all bets are off as far as oil consumption and knocking? It seems that Chev is trying to rewrite the rules to allow for their schlock quality.
  • Options
    Bama

Dad has a 92 S-10 with 4.3 and over 110K miles USES NO OIL
    Mom has a 00 blazer with 4.3 with 20K miles. USES NO OIL
    My truck with the 5.3 has over 25K and uses no oil

It still amazes me no one checks their oil at least once in awhile. Even my gf checks her oil in her car
  • Options
    But C'mon, It's new. I fill the windshield cleaner, take the leaves out of the AC intakes. Wipe dirt/salt off engine/hood area when washing(by hand)--synthetic-chammy dry, check oil, coolant and tranny, listen for any funny noises!!! Shop does the rest. Rotate new tires every other LOF, tire pressure gauge in glove box, check every month, fuel tank full in winter--condensation. Park mile away from car wreckers in parking lots. Got three cars and one woman. Got to use my time wisely. If any of them is leakin, I'll see the stains. And if I hear a Knocking, well let's not even go there....
  • Options
    ...to fill my NEW GM Superdooper Camaro SS between 3000-mile LOF intervals. What a gem. Never again, men. Never again. "That's the name of that tune."
  • Options
    How come you dont get rid of the SS then? Why do you stil own it?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Hey you could trade it for a Silverado....
  • Options
    Because I'm trying to get it fixed like everyone else here. Is it time to give up on GM's fix Ryan? Once you hand over the quid, you own it. Why doesn't GM buy it back? Why don't they fix it? wHY DO i GET PUT ON THE SPOT FOR SOMEONE ELSES SCREW-UP? (nomore takes gulp of beer) If I can get my price, it's gone. If I could get a transferable warranty, I'd get my price. Fact is, I'm not as experienced as GM when it comes to marketing defective goods. Buy a Silverado? I guess one knocker is as good as the other. I'd take my chances with the Tundra, Oby. You can get it (factory) supercharged now. Sahwheet! Lot of money but hey, you want quality, you pay for it.

Fact is, I would consider another GM product--if I was going to buy a car for my X-wife. NYUK NYUK.
  • Options
    I am just curious how many miles on the SS and how much are you looking at getting for it?
  • Options
    SLP chrome 10-spokes, SLP hipro, stainless center-mount exhaust (two flat outlets valenced), SS front grille/badge, mats, 12 disc Monsoon, T's, Hurst M6, Metallic blue on tan leather, Traction, 2001, all factory, no mods. Power everything, never driven in salt, 2+ years factory warranty, Dealer maintained--slips, last of a kind, cannot order any more, adult driven, NEVER hit, How's 26.5k sound?
  • Options
    I'm running a special this week only. BTW, "We are professional grade".
  • Options
    losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Lol ... Nomore, I fear you've lost your lid my friend. GM might buy your lemon back, but by then, you'll be bronzed, stuffed, and propped up behind the wheel as it hits the dealers lot again lol. But hey, any guy that would be willing to dish off a lemon to his unsuspecting ex-wife, as a symbol of generousity of course, gets my vote for prez. .

I do believe a wise man once said though ... you could always trade it in for a shiny Silverado. Can't KNOCK it until ya try it.
  • Options
    Yep, you on the west coast, me on the east, We got these knocking GM's surrounded. I'm waiting to hear from Ryan, gonna step in and make an offer on my Hot-rod. Anyway, suns out, T-tops off, Lynard Skynard cranked, time to cruise....Gettin' a little rowdy here in Little Rhody.
  • Options
    Me make an offer on your car? Id love a camaro ss but im not rolling in the cash right now. One more year of college left then ill think about it
  • Options
    What's your major, Engineering?

BTW, what's a young buck like you doing here? Gip'M does 'm young!
  • Options
    jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    are killin me. Nomoregm, after I pick myself up from the floor laughing... This is some good comedy in here.

BTW, I have been playing phone tag with GM customer assistance. Still nothing yet. Last phone call to them I told them I wanted my transmission fixed and or replaced. I do NOT want a 6yr 100k warranty on a slip yoke that did not work!

As for the engine knock, I will most likely except the letter for now... Stay tuned... And keep the laughs coming....
  • Options
    You sure that was Skynard crankin and not the drumbeat of your engine lol. If you could just talk GM into a 15 year unlimited mileage kinna deal, then I think you'd make out ok. And hey, dont get too rowdy out there in little Rhody, ya might shake the place into the ocean. We'll stay tuned for the next episode, of the GM menace.
  • Options
    "...is the shortest distance between people".

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Circa 1960's

A tear hath nestled in the corner of nomore's eye, :_(
  • Options
    12 pack on the 'puter desk that you didn't bother to put in the fridge cuz it's not gonna last that long? Got the old blues records out ,for that perfect melancholy evening alone with your $30k P.O.S.? Yeah,me too.But then ,why should today be different?

kip
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Yer Killin Me ! Laughter The Best Medicine ! But oh so factual.

Keep it up.

Ray T.
  • Options
    lotech1lotech1 Member Posts: 112
    That a new motor would make any noise or use any amount of oil in 3,000 miles between changes. My dad was a GM service manager during the 60's. I asked him (after reading these messages) about oil consumption in new cars (back in the 60's). He couldn't remember any real problems, but he told me some stories about poor brakes on some cars (mainly Olds F85's) and how much trouble was generated by them. As he recalled, GM issued TSB's on the problem but most of the cars were put back on the street (not fixed) and GM finally put better brakes on the new models.

By the way, my dad finally got po'ed at the owner and went to work for the local Chevy dealer... and took most of the Olds dealers customers with him :-)
  • Options
    eselicheselich Member Posts: 1
    As of 05-01-02 GM offered me a 6 yr/100,000 mile warranty with very little argument. I don't think I am going to take it right away. I can't imagine trying to sell the truck with the rattling that I get right now. I would like to encourage everyone to hold out on the extended warranty and possibly push GM a little more to correct the problem. Being quite familiar with how GM operates right now no one wants to take the blame for the screw up as it would jeopardize any bonus or promotion. The general policy at GM on a major mistake is that someone has to take responsibility!
  • Options
    burnsomeburnsome Member Posts: 3
    anybody been able to eliminate the cold start engine knocking by chaning to a different oil or adding an additive such as STP???

just curious and am jumping in here late. my 2001 Z71 started experiencing cold start enging kocking around 5k miles ago (15k miles)......
  • Options
    Go to this site, register your vehicle and read up!

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html

There is no magic cure for this anomoly, and I sure wouldn't put any 60's vintage STP in this new engine.

Ray T.

• Options
    whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    I miss a week or so reading this thread and there are over 150 new posts, about 140 of them meaningless. It might be funny to some, but I don't have time for this. I use these threads for meaningful information. PF needs to take control. I'm out of here!
  • Options
    Don't get your panties all bunched up, this is a GM thread.PF only takes control of Toyota topics.Toyota guys can post whatever they want,wherever they want.

kip
  • Options
    Nice post. I'm so informed now. Don't knock yourself out doing so much research. I now have all the answers. Thank you. Nyuk Nyuk.
  • Options
    lol ... sheesh
  • Options
    Bad day at the office huh, the problem with e-mail and discussion boards is that you have to check them daily or thus the buildup of responses(I'm sure you already know this). A friend of mine refuses to get an e-mail address for that very reason, because he would have to check it to see whats there and doesn't really have the time to sit behind a computer daily!

As far as useless info in last 140 posts, your of the minority thinking on that one now.

Relax and have a beer it's Friday !

Ray T.
  • Options
    Was the 6 year, 100K warranty for the engine only? I think that GM needs to do better than this - after all - they are asking you to drive a truck that sounds like a jack hammer for the next 100,000 miles (If it makes it that far!) And what happens when you try to sell your GM junk - will GM step in and give you some money because you took it in the shorts on your trade-in? Not likely.
  • Options
    Nomore did you go belly up ??? Were you consumed by the native drumbeat of your engine ???
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Peeling paint, bad brakes...etc
    Check out www.toyotasolutions.com
    Seems there quite a few of UNHAPPY
    toy boys over there.....LOL....
  • Options
    A lady such as you should realize that this is a GM engine knock topic. Lying about Toyotas should be in another topic.
  • Options
    Welcome to America. Our manufacturers have had peeling paint and bad brakes since cavemen invented the wheel. Yet, we continue to buy them. Perhaps, as a business strategy, the Japanese are cutting costs in a market that likes to buy defective goods. Imagine the faces at Toyota's executive-board meetings when they read that we Americans now believe knocking/oil-burning engines are normal. "Hoery Toreedo! Tora, Tora, Tora!"
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome back! I thought that all the flaming from GM owners had chased you away.

It's funny - I've been following Tundra solutions for years now and have never seen a case of a Tundra with peeling paint. My paint is just fine.

Do you think that Sonja is trying to divert attention away from the major problems you and others have with knocking GM engines?

It is sad, but some unfortunate GM owners have posed as Tundra owners in the Tundra Problems topic.

Here is a good example:

themailman1 "Toyota Tundra Problems" May 4, 2002 9:07am

Notice that the poster's profile says that he/she actually owns a GM Shakerado. Man - He or she is really confused.
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Read tundra and taco problems boards
    more closely ! Either your missing
    some posts or cannot read too good.
    check out www.tundrasolutions.com closely
    Maybe your computers are broken?.....geo
  • Options
    Nice to be missed. Had to go to New Hampshire ("Live free or die"), and get in touch with the mountains. My GM burns much more oil going up-hill, I learned.

Yes, some people, visit here for what can only be considered, ulterior motives. Nobody denies that all manufacturers make mistakes. Nobody who's done the slightest research can deny that the Japanese make substantially fewer mistakes than not only the American manufacturers, but BMW and Mercedes as well. That said, the important thing is how well a company warrants their mistakes.

I will repeat what got me in trouble in a previous post. It's a paraphrase of the famous Bill Clinton re-election phrase, "It's the economy stupid!"

Here it is: "It's the WARRANTY stupid!"

We are here because GM is DENYING "WARRANTY" CLAIMS that knocking/oil burning engines are a defect. Knocking is a consequence of piston slap. Piston slap is a consequence of abnormal clearance (gap) between the piston and cylinder wall. Oil burning is a consequence of blow-by caused by the gap. Accelerated wear is a definite result. None of the aforementioned defects is made to go away upon the issuance of an "extended" warranty as GM would prefer.

How does vehicle size, horsepower, peeling paint and bad brakes on Toyota's(for example), play into any of this? It doesn't. It's called filibustering. One talks about anything but the problem, to divert attention away from the real issue in order prevent a solution or perhaps to make oneself feel better about making a bad choice for patriotic, business or some other strange reasons.

This is a "Town Hall" chat room. As such, anyone can enter and it would be preferred that the object of our contempt, GM, be present. They are not. That is their choice. But I suspect, as others here do, that they manifest themselves as disguised, filibustering authors of some of the most ludicrous, useless information in consumer history.
  • Options
    "BMW and Mercedes as well"

What you been smoking?The Germans make the best cars,the [non-permissible content removed] are only second.

kip
  • Options
    Any new-model vehicle or design technique, no matter who the builder, will have more defects than traditional models. The only relevant Toyota problem, engine sludge, had been debated here in previous posts which you might also consider reading.

Some of us here concluded that Toyota had made a mistake, which they ultimately warranted with repairs, etc. Done deal. Denied warranty claims by any builder would be relevant here. Brakes are problematic, across the board. GM uses the cheapest metal they can find in their rotors. Paint/environmental issues are simply not relevant and nobody can argue that GM cornered the market on paint defects when they opted to delete the primer coat many years ago.

I wasn't necessarily joking when I suggested that the Japanese, who've historically put out a more reliable product might consider saving some money on quality issues. Their economy is hurting. Expect that to reflect in their products. You might remember they brought the Big-3 to their knees many years ago with more reliable, efficient automobiles. The Big-3 had to clean up their act and did. I suspect that the Americans are falling off in quality again and are relying on government-trade tariffs this time to keep the Japanese from putting them back on the floor.
  • Options
    Germans #1 in engineering. Japanese #1 in reliability. The context was reliability, sorry you missed that. I will concede, however, that the margin is so small as to be negligible.
This discussion has been closed.