Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

17778808283

Comments

  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,941
    themesofd said:

    Hello All! I will be LEASING a NEW vehicle in July and need some advice on on some car options. Price range: between 300-400/month for a 36 months / 10k mile lease. What is important to me is that it is FUN to drive, while being a practical daily driver. Must haves: fun acceleration, nice interior without the cheap hard plastic, manual transmission, and in the small to small/medium sized category. I have been looking at the Mazda3 hatchback (a little too small and underpowered for my liking), Civic Si (nice overall but lots of plastic and not a fan of the exterior), and the VW GTI SE (my favorite so far, but not a huge fan of the depreciation compared to the civic).

    Any other options or thoughts? Thanks!

    There's a good lease deal right now on the G70 2.0T and that can be had with a stick. I think the deal is $299/month for 36 months, with some money up front but it should be under $400/month even with that. Maybe they'll have a good lease deal in July also.
  • MarckV230MarckV230 DenmarkPosts: 2
    Hello everyone!

    As the title might explain i am looking for some help to choose which used car which be the best for me and for the money, i do not know especially much about cars so that is why i am reaching out for help from you guys.



    The cars considered is : Porsche cayenne 2012 ( around 90 k's usage ), Porsche Panamera 4 2010 ( around 80 k's of usage ) Audi SQ5 2014 ( around 70 k*s of usage ).

    I definitely looking for a car which has comfort, as me and the family of 3 do a lot of driving vacations, but at the same time i would like a " boys dream " and everyday car as well that can hit the gas and eat that corner when i want it too.

    What i am really looking to answers about if is anyone have any experience with any of these vechicles personally? Any flaws from fabric i should be aware about or any other things to consider? and the driving experince of course.

    I know the Audi is a lot newer than the panemera etc, but since the panemera did not change until 2013 and still has this amazing look inside, it just doesnt looks old in my opinion. But at the same time the Audi do has more in build features and the panoramic roof which i love,, also cheaper to maintain from what i can read. Also i kind of got into these compact suv stuff that is going on and just love the way you sit in a suv. Which the panemera of course do not offer. As mentioned i did also consider the Cayenne as is kind of has both, but i am not sure if the size gets too big for 3 people and city driving.



    For info this is the first "expensive car" i ever bought, so really hope you can help a fella here on he's way to the right purchase.

    Happy day everyone.
  • johnocarjohnocar Posts: 3
    edited July 2019
    Hi, so I'm trying to buy a used car in the 6,000 to 7,500 dollar price range, and they're quite hard to come by in my area. I'm not picky about brand, I simply need something reliable and if possible, fun to drive. My first choice would be a Civic, but they're nearly impossible to find here. So I'm looking at these two specific cars right now. Carfaxes available for both in the links.

    https://www.mcnairautosales.com/inventory/chevrolet/malibu/c159171/
    https://www.pruittford.com/used-Burkburnett-2012-Volkswagen-Jetta-25L+SE+Convenience++Sunroof-3VWBP7AJ1CM317319

    I would be leaning towards the Jetta because it has way lower miles, but there are a few things giving me pause. First, they said it has a check engine light on and that "the guy who traded it to them took it to a shop and had them hook it to the computer and they said it was a map sensor which would cost 85 dollars to fix." That doesn't exactly scare me, because I know it could be that, or something else easy, but I know it could be bs and who knows. I've also read that they tend to have some problems with their lights constantly burning out every so often. Of course, the Malibus have some problems too, but they do seem to be really reliable from what I can see. They did send me pictures of the Jetta, everything looks in good condition. I think the car was sitting on the lot untouched for a week, and when I asked for pics they detailed it and sent me pics. The first set had no pics of the engine, but the car is spotless. I asked for pics of the engine too and it's covered in dirt. They are offering to pick me up and take me back home if I don't buy the car, and obviously I'll be taking the car to get inspected. But I don't want to waste my time.

    So could someone point me in a direction? How do you compare two cars like this? Is the Jetta worth going to look at? It's probably the lowest mileage car I've found in my price point. Also, I have 200 dollars off the Jetta from their online promotion.
  • Smjbstockton22Smjbstockton22 Canton NCPosts: 10
    Looking at options for a new SUV or crossover. Looking at competitors in the Murano class. Really like the Murano and Grand Cherokee. Looking to stay in the $480-$530 range. What else should be considered. Probably going with a lease if it works out. Any advice welcome.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    johnocar said:

    Hi, so I'm trying to buy a used car in the 6,000 to 7,500 dollar price range, and they're quite hard to come by in my area. I'm not picky about brand, I simply need something reliable and if possible, fun to drive. My first choice would be a Civic, but they're nearly impossible to find here. So I'm looking at these two specific cars right now. Carfaxes available for both in the links.

    https://www.mcnairautosales.com/inventory/chevrolet/malibu/c159171/
    https://www.pruittford.com/used-Burkburnett-2012-Volkswagen-Jetta-25L+SE+Convenience++Sunroof-3VWBP7AJ1CM317319

    I would be leaning towards the Jetta because it has way lower miles, but there are a few things giving me pause. First, they said it has a check engine light on and that "the guy who traded it to them took it to a shop and had them hook it to the computer and they said it was a map sensor which would cost 85 dollars to fix." That doesn't exactly scare me, because I know it could be that, or something else easy, but I know it could be bs and who knows. I've also read that they tend to have some problems with their lights constantly burning out every so often. Of course, the Malibus have some problems too, but they do seem to be really reliable from what I can see. They did send me pictures of the Jetta, everything looks in good condition. I think the car was sitting on the lot untouched for a week, and when I asked for pics they detailed it and sent me pics. The first set had no pics of the engine, but the car is spotless. I asked for pics of the engine too and it's covered in dirt. They are offering to pick me up and take me back home if I don't buy the car, and obviously I'll be taking the car to get inspected. But I don't want to waste my time.

    So could someone point me in a direction? How do you compare two cars like this? Is the Jetta worth going to look at? It's probably the lowest mileage car I've found in my price point. Also, I have 200 dollars off the Jetta from their online promotion.

    my rule of thumb with cars in this age/price range is buy condition and history more than specific brand (as long as it is something acceptably reliable). You are correct though that this is a tough price point, and can take some looking.

    anyway, for the 2 options, the Jetta is listed at a manual transmission. Assuming that is correct, is that something you want? And the miles difference in this case is not that big. The Malibu is likely going to be cheaper to maintain, though that model Jetta is pretty bulletproof too, and reasonable simple. They can have some electric gremlins at times, but I am not aware of a big problem with lights burning out, but bulbs are cheap.

    the red flag is the CEL. That would nix it for me. If it really was a cheap and easy fix, they would have done it, and raised the price more than it cost them to do it.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • johnocarjohnocar Posts: 3
    stickguy said:

    johnocar said:

    Hi, so I'm trying to buy a used car in the 6,000 to 7,500 dollar price range, and they're quite hard to come by in my area. I'm not picky about brand, I simply need something reliable and if possible, fun to drive. My first choice would be a Civic, but they're nearly impossible to find here. So I'm looking at these two specific cars right now. Carfaxes available for both in the links.

    https://www.mcnairautosales.com/inventory/chevrolet/malibu/c159171/
    https://www.pruittford.com/used-Burkburnett-2012-Volkswagen-Jetta-25L+SE+Convenience++Sunroof-3VWBP7AJ1CM317319

    I would be leaning towards the Jetta because it has way lower miles, but there are a few things giving me pause. First, they said it has a check engine light on and that "the guy who traded it to them took it to a shop and had them hook it to the computer and they said it was a map sensor which would cost 85 dollars to fix." That doesn't exactly scare me, because I know it could be that, or something else easy, but I know it could be bs and who knows. I've also read that they tend to have some problems with their lights constantly burning out every so often. Of course, the Malibus have some problems too, but they do seem to be really reliable from what I can see. They did send me pictures of the Jetta, everything looks in good condition. I think the car was sitting on the lot untouched for a week, and when I asked for pics they detailed it and sent me pics. The first set had no pics of the engine, but the car is spotless. I asked for pics of the engine too and it's covered in dirt. They are offering to pick me up and take me back home if I don't buy the car, and obviously I'll be taking the car to get inspected. But I don't want to waste my time.

    So could someone point me in a direction? How do you compare two cars like this? Is the Jetta worth going to look at? It's probably the lowest mileage car I've found in my price point. Also, I have 200 dollars off the Jetta from their online promotion.

    my rule of thumb with cars in this age/price range is buy condition and history more than specific brand (as long as it is something acceptably reliable). You are correct though that this is a tough price point, and can take some looking.

    anyway, for the 2 options, the Jetta is listed at a manual transmission. Assuming that is correct, is that something you want? And the miles difference in this case is not that big. The Malibu is likely going to be cheaper to maintain, though that model Jetta is pretty bulletproof too, and reasonable simple. They can have some electric gremlins at times, but I am not aware of a big problem with lights burning out, but bulbs are cheap.

    the red flag is the CEL. That would nix it for me. If it really was a cheap and easy fix, they would have done it, and raised the price more than it cost them to do it.
    I've not tried to limit myself to one thing or another, but there are a lot of cars I just won't even consider. The selection I have here is pretty much my two options. The Malibu is close to me, and the dealer with the Jetta is offering me a ride. Yeah, the Jetta is a manual. The dealer said that they always sell their trade ins "as is."
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,312
    johnocar said:

    stickguy said:

    johnocar said:

    Hi, so I'm trying to buy a used car in the 6,000 to 7,500 dollar price range, and they're quite hard to come by in my area. I'm not picky about brand, I simply need something reliable and if possible, fun to drive. My first choice would be a Civic, but they're nearly impossible to find here. So I'm looking at these two specific cars right now. Carfaxes available for both in the links.

    https://www.mcnairautosales.com/inventory/chevrolet/malibu/c159171/
    https://www.pruittford.com/used-Burkburnett-2012-Volkswagen-Jetta-25L+SE+Convenience++Sunroof-3VWBP7AJ1CM317319

    I would be leaning towards the Jetta because it has way lower miles, but there are a few things giving me pause. First, they said it has a check engine light on and that "the guy who traded it to them took it to a shop and had them hook it to the computer and they said it was a map sensor which would cost 85 dollars to fix." That doesn't exactly scare me, because I know it could be that, or something else easy, but I know it could be bs and who knows. I've also read that they tend to have some problems with their lights constantly burning out every so often. Of course, the Malibus have some problems too, but they do seem to be really reliable from what I can see. They did send me pictures of the Jetta, everything looks in good condition. I think the car was sitting on the lot untouched for a week, and when I asked for pics they detailed it and sent me pics. The first set had no pics of the engine, but the car is spotless. I asked for pics of the engine too and it's covered in dirt. They are offering to pick me up and take me back home if I don't buy the car, and obviously I'll be taking the car to get inspected. But I don't want to waste my time.

    So could someone point me in a direction? How do you compare two cars like this? Is the Jetta worth going to look at? It's probably the lowest mileage car I've found in my price point. Also, I have 200 dollars off the Jetta from their online promotion.

    my rule of thumb with cars in this age/price range is buy condition and history more than specific brand (as long as it is something acceptably reliable). You are correct though that this is a tough price point, and can take some looking.

    anyway, for the 2 options, the Jetta is listed at a manual transmission. Assuming that is correct, is that something you want? And the miles difference in this case is not that big. The Malibu is likely going to be cheaper to maintain, though that model Jetta is pretty bulletproof too, and reasonable simple. They can have some electric gremlins at times, but I am not aware of a big problem with lights burning out, but bulbs are cheap.

    the red flag is the CEL. That would nix it for me. If it really was a cheap and easy fix, they would have done it, and raised the price more than it cost them to do it.
    I've not tried to limit myself to one thing or another, but there are a lot of cars I just won't even consider. The selection I have here is pretty much my two options. The Malibu is close to me, and the dealer with the Jetta is offering me a ride. Yeah, the Jetta is a manual. The dealer said that they always sell their trade ins "as is."
    Here ya go:
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/235429941

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,312

    Looking at options for a new SUV or crossover. Looking at competitors in the Murano class. Really like the Murano and Grand Cherokee. Looking to stay in the $480-$530 range. What else should be considered. Probably going with a lease if it works out. Any advice welcome.


    JGC Limiteds lease pretty well. Should be under $400, depending how many miles you need.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • johnocarjohnocar Posts: 3
    qbrozen said:

    johnocar said:

    stickguy said:

    johnocar said:

    Hi, so I'm trying to buy a used car in the 6,000 to 7,500 dollar price range, and they're quite hard to come by in my area. I'm not picky about brand, I simply need something reliable and if possible, fun to drive. My first choice would be a Civic, but they're nearly impossible to find here. So I'm looking at these two specific cars right now. Carfaxes available for both in the links.

    https://www.mcnairautosales.com/inventory/chevrolet/malibu/c159171/
    https://www.pruittford.com/used-Burkburnett-2012-Volkswagen-Jetta-25L+SE+Convenience++Sunroof-3VWBP7AJ1CM317319

    I would be leaning towards the Jetta because it has way lower miles, but there are a few things giving me pause. First, they said it has a check engine light on and that "the guy who traded it to them took it to a shop and had them hook it to the computer and they said it was a map sensor which would cost 85 dollars to fix." That doesn't exactly scare me, because I know it could be that, or something else easy, but I know it could be bs and who knows. I've also read that they tend to have some problems with their lights constantly burning out every so often. Of course, the Malibus have some problems too, but they do seem to be really reliable from what I can see. They did send me pictures of the Jetta, everything looks in good condition. I think the car was sitting on the lot untouched for a week, and when I asked for pics they detailed it and sent me pics. The first set had no pics of the engine, but the car is spotless. I asked for pics of the engine too and it's covered in dirt. They are offering to pick me up and take me back home if I don't buy the car, and obviously I'll be taking the car to get inspected. But I don't want to waste my time.

    So could someone point me in a direction? How do you compare two cars like this? Is the Jetta worth going to look at? It's probably the lowest mileage car I've found in my price point. Also, I have 200 dollars off the Jetta from their online promotion.

    my rule of thumb with cars in this age/price range is buy condition and history more than specific brand (as long as it is something acceptably reliable). You are correct though that this is a tough price point, and can take some looking.

    anyway, for the 2 options, the Jetta is listed at a manual transmission. Assuming that is correct, is that something you want? And the miles difference in this case is not that big. The Malibu is likely going to be cheaper to maintain, though that model Jetta is pretty bulletproof too, and reasonable simple. They can have some electric gremlins at times, but I am not aware of a big problem with lights burning out, but bulbs are cheap.

    the red flag is the CEL. That would nix it for me. If it really was a cheap and easy fix, they would have done it, and raised the price more than it cost them to do it.
    I've not tried to limit myself to one thing or another, but there are a lot of cars I just won't even consider. The selection I have here is pretty much my two options. The Malibu is close to me, and the dealer with the Jetta is offering me a ride. Yeah, the Jetta is a manual. The dealer said that they always sell their trade ins "as is."
    Here ya go:
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/235429941
    Thank you, that does look good. Unfortunately it's an hour and 30 mins from me.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 5,284
    edited July 2019

    Looking at options for a new SUV or crossover. Looking at competitors in the Murano class. Really like the Murano and Grand Cherokee. Looking to stay in the $480-$530 range. What else should be considered. Probably going with a lease if it works out. Any advice welcome.

    The new Acura RDX might be worth considering. Very nice vehicle.

    "2019 RDX 10 Speed Automatic Featured Special Loyalty/Conquest Lease. For well-qualified lessees who currently own a 2009 or newer Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, or Mercedes Benz vehicle.
    $379 Per month for 36 months.
    $2,999 Total due at signing."

    https://www.acura.com/tools/current-luxury-car-suv-offers-leasing?vehiclemodelseries=rdx
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    If you want a little bigger, MDX leases even better (by quite a bit usually) than an RDX.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • Smjbstockton22Smjbstockton22 Canton NCPosts: 10
    Looked at the MDX. They were eager to sell but interior space is lacking compared to JGC and Passport. Beautiful vehicle. The Passport was surprising. Super nice. Now finding the right deal. Thanks for the help.
  • shankar_bshankar_b Posts: 1
    Hello, I am trying to choose between buying a new 2019 Mazda CX 5 grand touring or reserve vs a 2016 Acura RDX with advance package. The Mazda is more expensive to buy but the 5 year cost to own is likely higher with the RDX. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,355
    I might buy the Mazda over a new RDX!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    I would too. much better tech if nothing else.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 165,870
    I'd get the GTR to get the sweet turbo engine. The GT is a bit pokey without it.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • vikkirulesvikkirules COPosts: 13
    Need some help so I don't make the same mistake I made in 2015, I overpaid for a new car and am finally not upside down on my car loan. I currently drive a Honda Civic coupe EX, manual and I use to love it, until I moved to Colorado and had a baby. I couldn't drive my car for 2 months last winter and now that it is summer, climbing into my back seat to put my son in his car seat is very difficult. Also, it only has air vents in the front so that back gets very hot. We are also planning on having another child in the next year or so.

    Looking for a 3 row SUV, we live in Western Colorado (3 hours from Albuquerque, 6 hours from Denver) so we do a lot of road trips and like to bring Grandparents along for help. Would love leather seats because kids are messy, and heated seats would really help me not fight with my husband since he likes it cold and I like to be warm. We also have 2 big dogs, 80lb German Shepherd & 120lb Newfoundland, that would occasionally join us. AWD is a must, we get a lot of snow and live at the base of a ski mountain. My payment now for my car is $424 and I would love to not go too much higher than that if possible. Open to leasing a used car if that is something dealerships do.

    Here is what I was thinking:

    2019 Subaru Ascent - I think the Limited comes with everything I want and has the lowest price I've found so far. Open to the 2020 but I assume that would cost more.

    Ford Explorer - Love this suv but I think I have to go up in trim to get what I want

    Kia Telluride - I was seriously considering this even though I'm not a fan of Kia until I saw people were paying over msrp

    Hyundai Palisade - Same as Kia
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,355
    Buy the Consumer Reports new car buyers guide, lots of info there. How about a Highlander, or a Mazda CX-9?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    you can't lease a used car, but might work on a new one, though the options you are looking at can get pricey even on a lease. Depends a lot on how many miles you put on. and good news, Hondas hold value, and stick EX Civic coupes have a following.

    yes, at this point, a 2019 should be cheaper. Leasing, definitely the way to go. If buying, can make sense if you are planning to keep a long time.

    A Sube in Colorado is a natural, though can't say if that will help your price hopes. Plus, since you are in the mountains, a car with a Turbo engine is a good option (they don't lose power at elevation like a non-Turbo does).

    The Ascent has gotten rave reviews. The explorer is really outdated, and a brand new design just came out. Could likely get a good deal on the old style though if you like it.

    Telluride rated highly, but might be a little wheezy at altitude.

    Consider a Honda Pilot too, since you like your Civic. Plus they seem to have good deals right now.

    Also, I highly recommend figuring out what you really like (what works for you, room, driveability) so that you enjoy it and will keep it. A good deal is great when you sign the papers, but if you hate the car and want out before long, false economy!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • vikkirulesvikkirules COPosts: 13
    texases said:

    Buy the Consumer Reports new car buyers guide, lots of info there. How about a Highlander, or a Mazda CX-9?

    Haven't looked into either of those, thanks for the recommendations!
  • vikkirulesvikkirules COPosts: 13
    stickguy said:

    you can't lease a used car, but might work on a new one, though the options you are looking at can get pricey even on a lease. Depends a lot on how many miles you put on. and good news, Hondas hold value, and stick EX Civic coupes have a following.

    yes, at this point, a 2019 should be cheaper. Leasing, definitely the way to go. If buying, can make sense if you are planning to keep a long time.

    A Sube in Colorado is a natural, though can't say if that will help your price hopes. Plus, since you are in the mountains, a car with a Turbo engine is a good option (they don't lose power at elevation like a non-Turbo does).

    The Ascent has gotten rave reviews. The explorer is really outdated, and a brand new design just came out. Could likely get a good deal on the old style though if you like it.

    Telluride rated highly, but might be a little wheezy at altitude.

    Consider a Honda Pilot too, since you like your Civic. Plus they seem to have good deals right now.

    Also, I highly recommend figuring out what you really like (what works for you, room, driveability) so that you enjoy it and will keep it. A good deal is great when you sign the papers, but if you hate the car and want out before long, false economy!

    I definitely need to go and test drive before making a decision, I'd like to narrow it down to 2 (max 3) since dealers are exhausting when you go. My Civic has 28k miles on it and that is after making 2 trips back and forth from CA to CO, I really don't put many miles on my car. I think I'll have to make a trip to sell my car since it doesn't really work in our area, I was thinking of visiting a CarMax in Albuquerque, bigger city/ easier weather.

    I'm not well versed in engines, I'll do my research on Turbo/non-Turbo, but great to know since we are high elevation. I was looking into the Honda Pilot, but when I compared prices the AWD Pilot was more than the mid trim level Ascent. Maybe I should keep an eye out for any deals/ rebates. When I looked into the 2019 Explorer, I didn't really like it, seemed to be on the same tech level as my 2015 Civic and I was looking for an upgrade.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,312
    edited July 2019
    I'm confused as to why you think the Civic doesn't work in your area. I'd suggest you go right ahead and list it for sale yourself. Use ebay or autotrader or any of the other number of choices to get a larger audience. With such low miles and a stick shift, you'll attract multiple buyers, I'm sure.

    The outgoing MDX is leasing quite well right now, but I'm not sure it is big enough for everything you have listed.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • vikkirulesvikkirules COPosts: 13
    qbrozen said:

    I'm confused as to why you think the Civic doesn't work in your area. I'd suggest you go right ahead and list it for sale yourself. Use ebay or autotrader or any of the other number of choices to get a larger audience. With such low miles and a stick shift, you'll attract multiple buyers, I'm sure.

    The outgoing MDX is leasing quite well right now, but I'm not sure it is big enough for everything you have listed.

    Yeah? That is great news! Thanks for the advice, I'll list it myself. Is it normal to list it based on the KBB value?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    Go to the real world trade in value thread in the forums. Post the details and get a good number.

    My experience though is that a low mile, stick civic like that should go for strong money. Book does not always apply.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 5,284

    Need some help so I don't make the same mistake I made in 2015, I overpaid for a new car and am finally not upside down on my car loan. I currently drive a Honda Civic coupe EX, manual and I use to love it, until I moved to Colorado and had a baby. I couldn't drive my car for 2 months last winter and now that it is summer, climbing into my back seat to put my son in his car seat is very difficult. Also, it only has air vents in the front so that back gets very hot. We are also planning on having another child in the next year or so.

    Looking for a 3 row SUV, we live in Western Colorado (3 hours from Albuquerque, 6 hours from Denver) so we do a lot of road trips and like to bring Grandparents along for help. Would love leather seats because kids are messy, and heated seats would really help me not fight with my husband since he likes it cold and I like to be warm. We also have 2 big dogs, 80lb German Shepherd & 120lb Newfoundland, that would occasionally join us. AWD is a must, we get a lot of snow and live at the base of a ski mountain. My payment now for my car is $424 and I would love to not go too much higher than that if possible. Open to leasing a used car if that is something dealerships do.

    Here is what I was thinking:

    2019 Subaru Ascent - I think the Limited comes with everything I want and has the lowest price I've found so far. Open to the 2020 but I assume that would cost more.

    Ford Explorer - Love this suv but I think I have to go up in trim to get what I want

    Kia Telluride - I was seriously considering this even though I'm not a fan of Kia until I saw people were paying over msrp

    Hyundai Palisade - Same as Kia

    You might consider a VW Atlas as well.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,696

    texases said:

    Buy the Consumer Reports new car buyers guide, lots of info there. How about a Highlander, or a Mazda CX-9?

    Haven't looked into either of those, thanks for the recommendations!
    These are good choices. Be careful of newer Hondas, as CR and JD POWER, among others, say that long-term reliability for Honda has gotten much worse.
  • Better tell us what are your thoughts and in what budget you are expecting a car and must and should features you thought of etc. so that it becomes easy for us to help you and get the best one.
  • Interested in off-road activity and choosing jeep or ford for it. What would last longer in your opinion?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,312
    powerking said:

    Interested in off-road activity and choosing jeep or ford for it. What would last longer in your opinion?

    The younger one with the more reliable powertrain

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    Based on history at least, the Jeep is likely to hold its value better.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • NYCWingsNYCWings AtlantaPosts: 10
    I got bad luck and bought a truck that lasted me a month. Literally got tricked by someone. :(

    This time I'm buying something older since I'm more on a budget now. So:

    Mitsubishi Montero 2002 vs
    Suzuki XL7 2004 vs
    Mazda 6 wagon 2004.

    Your thoughts please? Looking for space and gas economy which I'm clear on,but flexible in other aspects. Thanks in advance.

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    with the usual caveat of condition and maintenance being paramount, I would absolutely want the Mazda out of that bunch. Nicest to drive by far, and definitely the best MPG (especially if the 4 cyl)

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • NYCWingsNYCWings AtlantaPosts: 10
    edited September 2019
    Thank you. I appreciate your input and do agree. Out of the 3 I've been giving the Mazda an edge too. (It's a 6cyl,but still)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    much quick, and fun to drive. generally a good engine, just make sure to have car inspected.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,312
    Did the full wagon ever cone with the 4-cyl?
    Anyway, I agree that one is the best choice.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • I'm stuck between the 2020 Acura RDX and 2020 Mercedes GLC. Looking for a small SUV with AWD, fun to drive, good tech, and luxury features. Needs to fit 3 teen boys in the back seat. Both of these seem to deliver on all scores and while cost is higher on Mercedes it is not that much of a difference. I keep cars for a long time (currently in a 2005 infiniti g35x) so also long-term reliability and cost to maintain is important, but willing to pay to get what I want. Any thoughts?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    Both nice options. Might as well add BMW X3 too. Lexus RX might give a little more rear seat room. Volvo XC60 is nice too, but maybe not for a 10 year purchase.

    Take a look at the 2020 Outback XT too. Less money, fast, and loaded. Impressive interior too, and generally good LT durability.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • shopper4321shopper4321 Posts: 2
    edited September 2019
    I don't like the looks of X3, Lexus, XC60, or Outback. So really looking for feedback on RDX vs. GLC. Or maybe there is no "wrong" answer! Thanks!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    RDX is a bit cheaper, and probably sportier, with the MB more solid and isolated. Both nice cars, with a different feel, so certainly need to try them both to see which one you like better.

    for the RDX, make sure to get at least the tech package though.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • texasestexases Posts: 9,355
    Have you tried fitting the boys in one of these? Sounds VERY tight!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    they will fit. Hopefully they like each other. and are somewhat skinny. And one of them has very short legs.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • texasestexases Posts: 9,355
    stickguy said:

    they will fit. Hopefully they like each other. and are somewhat skinny. And one of them has very short legs.

    Exactly. For short trips, ok. But for longer trips I’d rather have a three row, like a well-optioned CX-9.
  • APeeKayAPeeKay CAPosts: 3
    Need your suggestions for selecting our next car. Just became empty nesters about a year back and thinking of getting a second car for us, now that one of our cars is really showing its age (used almost 20 years).

    Ease of getting in/out of the car and putting stuff in/out of the trunk is getting a little more important. Comfort is more important than acceleration, although it will be a nice to get a car which is not too 'dull'. Car will be used for commute plus pleasure. Based on SoCal and won't be driving to places with snow. We won't be hauling a lot of big stuff, so huge cargo space is not essential, but longer travel few times a year means it should not be too small. Safety and reliability are very important. Although we can definitely spend more, thinking of a base budget of $35k-40k (hopefully at the lower side of the range, but can stretch a bit if it is a good value). We can buy new or Certified Used low mileage cars. Based on all of this, we are thinking more along the line of a compact SUV or wagon or even a nice biggish hatch-back (do they even make them for US market?). Want to avoid CVTs mainly because of lower reliability. Cars that came to mind - Acura RDX, Lexus NX or possibly RX, upper trims of RAV4, etc. Any suggestions on which cars we should check out?
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 165,870
    APeeKay said:

    Need your suggestions for selecting our next car. Just became empty nesters about a year back and thinking of getting a second car for us, now that one of our cars is really showing its age (used almost 20 years).

    Ease of getting in/out of the car and putting stuff in/out of the trunk is getting a little more important. Comfort is more important than acceleration, although it will be a nice to get a car which is not too 'dull'. Car will be used for commute plus pleasure. Based on SoCal and won't be driving to places with snow. We won't be hauling a lot of big stuff, so huge cargo space is not essential, but longer travel few times a year means it should not be too small. Safety and reliability are very important. Although we can definitely spend more, thinking of a base budget of $35k-40k (hopefully at the lower side of the range, but can stretch a bit if it is a good value). We can buy new or Certified Used low mileage cars. Based on all of this, we are thinking more along the line of a compact SUV or wagon or even a nice biggish hatch-back (do they even make them for US market?). Want to avoid CVTs mainly because of lower reliability. Cars that came to mind - Acura RDX, Lexus NX or possibly RX, upper trims of RAV4, etc. Any suggestions on which cars we should check out?

    How long do you plan to keep this car?

    The models you suggested are all good.

    I've owned a CVT for 4.5 years, and I've had no problems with it. You might want to rethink that position.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • APeeKayAPeeKay CAPosts: 3
    Generally I like to keep a car for 10+ years, mainly because I don't want to bother at researching cars every few years :-). Never owned a CVT-car and see many stories in forums, which leads me to believe they are still less reliable than a good automatic or manual. I like manual, but wife does not know how to drive one, so that may be out.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,757
    A Hyundai Santa Fe. 10 year warranty too.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 5,284
    APeeKay said:

    Need your suggestions for selecting our next car....Ease of getting in/out of the car and putting stuff in/out of the trunk is getting a little more important. Comfort is more important than acceleration, although it will be a nice to get a car which is not too 'dull'. Car will be used for commute plus pleasure. Based on SoCal and won't be driving to places with snow....Any suggestions on which cars we should check out?

    If you don't need a lot of cargo room, maybe you should consider a car instead of an SUV? A car will probably save thousands over an SUV, and cars often get higher mpg as well. I think the lease incentives on the Acura TLX are more more than $7000, meaning that if you can get an additional discount of $3k you can get as much as $10k off. Several of us here have Acura TLXs because of the luxury, performance, handling, features, quality, etc. If you don't need super fast acceleration the 4 cylinder probably has enough power for you, and I often get over 36 mpg on the highway in mine even with the AC on going c. 70 mph.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • APeeKayAPeeKay CAPosts: 3
    Thank you. Will check the new TLX models. My impression from few years back was that the ease of getting in/out and also access to trunk was still not as good as a small SUV. I do not have much of an issue with this, but my wife finds that sedans tend to have lower seats. Trunk set-up in sedans typically requires lifting above a rim while taking stuff in/out vs. just sliding in. The other consideration is that our other car is a sedan and having a different type of car offers some flexibility.
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,355
    I’m looking in that one market, and the RAV4 hybrid and the CX5 are one the top of my list.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,696
    APeeKay said:

    Generally I like to keep a car for 10+ years, mainly because I don't want to bother at researching cars every few years :-). Never owned a CVT-car and see many stories in forums, which leads me to believe they are still less reliable than a good automatic or manual. I like manual, but wife does not know how to drive one, so that may be out.

    CVT - Toyota makes excellent, reliable CVTs. Manual - try teaching the wife, but that may be traumatic.
Sign In or Register to comment.