Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

1767778798082»

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,837
    zzmmmommy said:

Hi, I could use some help. I have been driving a minivan for the last 15 years. I used the lemon law to get rid of 17 Pacifica and then got an 18 Pacifica. No comments :(. Now my Pacifica has been in shop for 40 days and they can't figure out why the battery keeps dying and I keep getting engine failure light. So, I am going to have to lemon law the 18 also. I love the car and realize that the Odyssey or Sienna do not have the same features in the same price point. Maybe it is time I look at an SUV- but within my budget. I want to stay under $45k (high end). I have a fully loaded Pacifica so will I be able to find anything under $40k that has all those bells and whistles AND has room for 4 kids? And, I am not even 5 feet so a yukon or any large size SUV is not an option. Any suggestions? Thanks!

As I stated recently in an above post, a CPO QX60 is a great value, IMHO. Would save you about $10k, too.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,690
    zzmmmommy said:

Hi, I could use some help. I have been driving a minivan for the last 15 years. I used the lemon law to get rid of 17 Pacifica and then got an 18 Pacifica. No comments :(. Now my Pacifica has been in shop for 40 days and they can't figure out why the battery keeps dying and I keep getting engine failure light. So, I am going to have to lemon law the 18 also. I love the car and realize that the Odyssey or Sienna do not have the same features in the same price point. Maybe it is time I look at an SUV- but within my budget. I want to stay under $45k (high end). I have a fully loaded Pacifica so will I be able to find anything under $40k that has all those bells and whistles AND has room for 4 kids? And, I am not even 5 feet so a yukon or any large size SUV is not an option. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Toyota Highlander or Sequoia (if you want something really big). Toyota's long-term reliability is second only to Lexus (Toyota's luxury brand).
  • iamslangeiamslange Posts: 13
    I’ve been browsing around for various lease options. I’ll preface this post by saying I know leasing isn’t the ideal situation but it’s what i prefer.

I did some number crunching and I’m just trying to see if I’m on the right track before I start getting into this.

2020 Mercedes GLB $45,200 Residual is 62% .00136 Money factor I get a $559 payment

2020 Toyota Highlander $40,680 Residual 59% .00200 Money factor I get a payment of $577

Do these seem right? I know I still can bargain the price some but is my math right? Or do I need more information? No current incentives.
    iamslange said:

I’ve been browsing around for various lease options. I’ll preface this post by saying I know leasing isn’t the ideal situation but it’s what i prefer.

I did some number crunching and I’m just trying to see if I’m on the right track before I start getting into this.

2020 Mercedes GLB $45,200 Residual is 62% .00136 Money factor I get a $559 payment

2020 Toyota Highlander $40,680 Residual 59% .00200 Money factor I get a payment of $577

Do these seem right? I know I still can bargain the price some but is my math right? Or do I need more information? No current incentives.

Leases can be great deals, and sometimes better than buying. I suggest you do more reading on how they should be calculated. Yes, you need much more info. Are you basing your payment off paying MSRP for the vehicles? Have you obtained the info on any incentives? Both of those examples are terrible. You can do far far better if you are open to other options.

'19 Ioniq plug-in, '10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 50-car history and counting!

qbrozen said:

iamslange said:

Leases can be great deals, and sometimes better than buying. I suggest you do more reading on how they should be calculated. Yes, you need much more info. Are you basing your payment off paying MSRP for the vehicles? Have you obtained the info on any incentives? Both of those examples are terrible. You can do far far better if you are open to other options.
    Yes I’m doing it based off msrp. I know there are ways to get my cap cost down. I was just hoping my calculations were correct based on that information.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 35,204
    there are plenty of lease calculators available where you can plug in the factors and it will spit out the payment. There are also model specific topics here where you can get the numbers for each model. MF and residual is pretty straight forward. Once you have that, only real variable is the cap cost reduction and incentives, which is the way to get your payment down.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

stickguy said:

there are plenty of lease calculators available where you can plug in the factors and it will spit out the payment. There are also model specific topics here where you can get the numbers for each model. MF and residual is pretty straight forward. Once you have that, only real variable is the cap cost reduction and incentives, which is the way to get your payment down.

Yes I came across those threads. Just need to research how to reduce the cap cost
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,050
    Doesn't it come down to what deal you can make with the various dealers in your area? I'd contact several dealers' internet operations and have them bid on your lease. You specify car, options, time, miles/year, and capital reduction (down payment), and they tell you $/month.
    You can also use a broker

• What would be the best bang for your buck lease (15K/year) Mid Size SUV? 3 Row SUV? Interested in getting something with heated seats, auto start, adaptive cruise control, lane assist warning/keep?
  • PRPro704PRPro704 Posts: 1
    edited February 11
    Looking to purchase a pre-owned 3 Row SUV. $25K budget. Reliability and safety is important as may pass it down to young driver in 3/4 years. Must have sunroof and would be nice to have push start, keyless entry, nav. Would like opinions as I have done a fair amount of research and all the "top lists" are all over the place. TIA
    I'd go Highlander.

PRPro704 said:

Looking to purchase a pre-owned 3 Row SUV. $25K budget. Reliability and safety is important as may pass it down to young driver in 3/4 years. Must have sunroof and would be nice to have push start, keyless entry, nav. Would like opinions as I have done a fair amount of research and all the "top lists" are all over the place. TIA

If reliability is important, then Toyota and Lexus are number one. Consumer Reports, JD Power, and many other data sources all agree on that.
  • Hi all,
    So I'm in the market to look for a new car that I will hopefully keep for a long time. I currently drive a 2017 Ford Escape which has been going strong for me for the last few years and I truly love the car. My issue is my current commute to work is about 110 miles a day, and my escape only gets about 27mpg. So I guess first question is would a Hybrid be a suitable option for the distance I drive? I see they get great mpg but my biggest fear is the reliability. The brands I'm looking into are Honda (Accord Hybrid), Hyundai (Sonata Hybrid), Ford (Escape Hybrid). I know Toyota has really ironed out all of their Hybrid systems, but I'm not a huge fan of the way their interior looks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would only consider a Toyota hybrid, Honda has never achieved the reliability that Toyota has, and other brands don't have the track record.. And I have a Ford hybrid (the Camry hybrid wasn't available at the time). I'm currently dealing with an issue with how Ford cuts down battery availability after a certain number of years. My next car may well be a Rav4 hybrid.

But 110 miles a day? That sounds like a lot of highway driving. Hybrids provide the most benefit in stop and go driving.
  • texases said:

I would only consider a Toyota hybrid, Honda has never achieved the reliability that Toyota has, and other brands don't have the track record.. And I have a Ford hybrid (the Camry hybrid wasn't available at the time). I'm currently dealing with an issue with how Ford cuts down battery availability after a certain number of years. My next car may well be a Rav4 hybrid.

But 110 miles a day? That sounds like a lot of highway driving. Hybrids provide the most benefit in stop and go driving.

Currently it is alot of Highway driving, but I have the option to take city streets which cuts me down to 74 miles a day. I would take this route more often, but it takes an extra 5 min to get work, and I've also seen no benefits in my gas mileage with my escape taking this route. I would sacrifice time for better mileage, also our main Highway which I use is becoming so much more dangerous to drive.

A Prius, Corolla, or Camry hybrid would do great in that situation. But I understand the problem you have with their interiors. You might buy a Consumer Reports car buyers guide, see what meets your needs/desires. Also check out fueleconomy.gov for lots more mpg info.
    Brandego said:

Hi all,
    So I'm in the market to look for a new car that I will hopefully keep for a long time. I currently drive a 2017 Ford Escape which has been going strong for me for the last few years and I truly love the car. My issue is my current commute to work is about 110 miles a day, and my escape only gets about 27mpg. So I guess first question is would a Hybrid be a suitable option for the distance I drive? I see they get great mpg but my biggest fear is the reliability. The brands I'm looking into are Honda (Accord Hybrid), Hyundai (Sonata Hybrid), Ford (Escape Hybrid). I know Toyota has really ironed out all of their Hybrid systems, but I'm not a huge fan of the way their interior looks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toyota's long-term reliability ratings are MUCH higher than Honda, Hyundai, as and Ford, per Consumer Reports, among other data sources.
  • RadChickRadChick Posts: 5
    edited February 19
    I'm looking for a new SUV to purchase and drive for the next 5-7 years. I'm currently driving a 2013 Honda CRV, and I'd like something bigger with new technology. The SUV needs to have ventilated seats (which puts me in or near the top trim of most SUVs). I want to spend less than $45k. I don't care if it has a 3rd row, but I'm not against it. I like the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Mazda CX-9. I was underwhelmed by both the 2020 Highlander and Ascent. I'm not interested in the Honda Pilot but maybe the Passport? I really liked the VW Atlas, but not sure if it's good for long term. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    A Santa Fe limited 2.0t is well under budget, drives nice, and is loaded with features. Pretty room. And will be under warranty the entire time.

The CX9 is a bit bigger, but very nice driving too.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,561
    The Honda Passport might be a good option. Reviews have been good, and yet sales I think have been slow to take off. I recently got a special $1000 dollar coupon as a current Honda owner on a new Passport, which was on top of any other incentives. The Passport Elite lists for c. $43k, but it's totally loaded—including ventilated seats. And real world my guess is that the price might be in the high 30s?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    edited February 19
    Highlander Limited has the seats, priced just under $45k. What didn't you like? Just curious.

Of the rest, I'd look at the CX9.
  • texases said:

Highlander Limited has the seats, priced just under $45k. What didn't you like? Just curious.

Of the rest, I'd look at the CX9.

I wanted to like it, but I just found it kind of boring.
    Well, excitement will be hard to come by in this segment. The CX9 probably handles the best, but not sure about the power.
    RadChick said:

I'm looking for a new SUV to purchase and drive for the next 5-7 years. I'm currently driving a 2013 Honda CRV, and I'd like something bigger with new technology. The SUV needs to have ventilated seats (which puts me in or near the top trim of most SUVs). I want to spend less than $45k. I don't care if it has a 3rd row, but I'm not against it. I like the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Mazda CX-9. I was underwhelmed by both the 2020 Highlander and Ascent. I'm not interested in the Honda Pilot but maybe the Passport? I really liked the VW Atlas, but not sure if it's good for long term. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

If reliability is a concern, Honda is rated only average at best. Toyota, Lexus, Mazda are the best.
  • mcdawgg said:

RadChick said:

If reliability is a concern, Honda is rated only average at best. Toyota, Lexus, Mazda are the best.
    I didn’t know Mazdas were more reliable than Hondas. Thanks.
    RadChick said:

mcdawgg said:

RadChick said:

I didn’t know Mazdas were more reliable than Hondas. Thanks.
    I'd check Consumer Reports for details on the specific model. You can view at local libraries. I was surprised to see Mazda so high, but I heard Honda has been not nearly as reliable as the past. But Consumer Reports, and other data sources, said Honda only average.