Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

1757677787981»

Comments

• SteelByDesignSteelByDesign CincinnatiPosts: 1
    I'm currently driving a Toyota Rav-4, and just am not a fan. I'm pretty tall, about 6'2" and I just feel cramped in it.

I drive a lot of miles to/from work so not looking for a gas hog. I need to get 2 car seats in it to pick the kids up from the sitter but my wife drives a mini-van so we use that on weekends, road trips, etc. so don't really need a 3rd row. I'm leaning towards a mid-size SUV or possibly hatchback. Not really concerned with trunk space. AWD would be nice but not a must have.

My dad drives a Ford F150 where the center console flips up and can be another seat. I LOVE driving that thing because it's so roomy and comfortable. Now, I know it's a giant truck but I'm just wondering if there's anything out there that's more fuel efficient than a pickup but gets me closer to that kind of interior comfort.

Looking to spend like 20/25K. Could go a little higher if I found everything I wanted. Probably looking for a low mileage used vehicle, but possibly new if it's in my price range.
  • texasestexases Posts: 8,955
    I find a Forester very roomy, with good visibility, I'm 6'5". You might go to a CarMax and try sitting in LOTS of vehicles, see which meet your needs. I find some large ones surprisingly cramped.
  • LDGGLDGG Posts: 4
    Hello! I've been researching on this site for a while but haven't posted before. My husband and I are looking to purchase a used vehicle at a max price of around $15,000. Our first step was to "try on" different vehicles that would be comfortable for either of us because our heights are very different (hubby is 6'3" and I'm 5'5"). We don't want a huge vehicle so not interested in trucks or big SUVs. So far we've found a few makes/models that can work for us both (in no particular order):

2014 Honda CRV (though admittedly, this one was technically above our price range)
    2016 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen
    2017 Jeep Renegade Sport
    2016 Toyota Camry
    2009 Subaru Forester

I know the Honda, Toyota and Subaru's are generally more reliable, but curious if there are any general thoughts about any of the ones I've listed. The years here are more incidental - they just happened to be ones we found to try on. I'd just like to narrow it down a bit more before looking for some good deals.

We'll certainly have our mechanic look over anything we're considering, but even with that we really don't want any big repair surprises if we can help it. Yes, we have considered leasing, but want to drive more than most leases allow plus we'd like to hang onto the car for a while. Thanks for any thoughts.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 34,044
    Forester has been redesigned a couple times since then, so bigger and nicer. so if you liked the old one, should like a newer model even more!

wanting to keep it for a long time changes the equation a bit, since you are taking LT durability into account. But at the same time, makes depreciation a bit less of an issue, so easier to just buy what you like.

I think you are also finding out that some cars just cost crazy money used. CRV (especially) and Forester among them. So for same $ will get older and/or higher mileage.

I personally don't care for the little Jeeps that much, and make sure to really research reliability. But, lots of people love them. VWs as they age can also be a bit temperamental, but the sportwagon does drive nice.

If you don't need a wagon style, usually a Sedan can be your best bang for the buck. Purchase price, better MPG, and nice to drive. Can't go wrong with a Camry like that for cheap, comfortable, reliable transportation. And if you are looking at the Camry, give the prior generation (up to I think 2017) Accord too. Great cars, very reliable. Camry and Accord probably cost a little more than some of the competitors (like a Fusion) but they are really good cars.

Might also look at a Legacy. All the Subaru goodness (and AWD) but in a sedan style, and move better deals than a comparable Forester.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,149
    I think the Camry will be the most comfortable for both of you, and reliable too. You might also check out a used Nissan Altima as they are similar in size but cheaper to buy.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,307
    Of that list, the Camry also jumps out at me as the best choice if it fits your needs.

For better value in something similar, check out the Ford Fusion.

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

Sooo helpful. Thanks! I'm leaning toward the Camry. We did try the Altima but didn't quite fit as well as the Camry.
    stickguy said:

I personally don't care for the little Jeeps that much, and make sure to really research reliability. But, lots of people love them. VWs as they age can also be a bit temperamental, but the sportwagon does drive nice.

Yeah, the Jeep was my least favorite. And I've always heard they're kind of squirrel y.
    can't go wrong with the Camry, if you are not interested in sports car like handling. But I would try out the comparable Accord too if you haven't (and the Legacy) because they are both really nice.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,149
    Accord always feels smaller inside than the Camry. I say that as one who prefers Accords myself.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 133,743
    LDGG said:

stickguy said:

Yeah, the Jeep was my least favorite. And I've always heard they're kind of squirrel y.
    The Renegade is a Fiat, through and through. You couldn't pay me to take that one.

I like the VW wagon, if you still want that utility of having a hatch.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I really appreciate all the advice. I'll let you know what we end up with.
  • What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Price Range: $10,000 - $15,000
    New or Used: Used
    Buying or Leasing: Buying
    Must haves: ABS, Low maintenance, reliable, good gas mileage, cargo space.
    Car or Truck: Car
    Preferred Year: 2010-current
    Mileage: Under 50,000
    Sedan/No convertible

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you for your time.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 127,409

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Price Range: $10,000 - $15,000
    New or Used: Used
    Buying or Leasing: Buying
    Must haves: ABS, Low maintenance, reliable, good gas mileage, cargo space.
    Car or Truck: Car
    Preferred Year: 2010-current
    Mileage: Under 50,000
    Sedan/No convertible

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you for your time.

What is your location?

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

lots of options there. depending on if you want a compact to midsize, or larger midsize +, can easily do 2015+ on a Sonata or Elantra. Mazda 3 or 6, Civic. Domestic could do a fusion, malibu or Cruze.

in this price range for a sedan, I would stick to that 2015 or above range because the technology is a lot more modern than back in 2010.

sedans are the best buys these days IMO. SUVs cost a lot more for the same year/miles usually.

just a few pulled from Carvana

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1308815
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1291335
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1287215
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1297976
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1301774
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1324562

and thousands more!

https://www.carvana.com/cars/sedan/filters/?cvnaid=eyJmaWx0ZXJzIjp7InByaWNlIjp7Im1heCI6MTUxNDgsIm1pbiI6NjEwMH0sInllYXIiOnsibWF4IjoyMDE5LCJtaW4iOjIwMTZ9LCJib2R5U3R5bGVzIjpbIlNlZGFuIl0sIm1pbGVhZ2UiOnsibWF4Ijo1MDAwMCwibWluIjowfX0sInNvcnRCeSI6Ik1vc3RQb3B1bGFyIn0=&page=3