Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

17779818283

Comments

  • ShilohJShilohJ Tampa, FLPosts: 35
    edited April 2019
    Hello! I am hoping you all can help me make a decision or at least narrow down my choices to 3 or so to test drive. We are looking to lease and need our payments to be around $450/month or so. Because lease rates vary so much and seem to be better for luxury brands, I can't go based solely on price alone.

    We are a family of 4 and this is our only car (we both work from home). We may be breaking down and getting a sedan as a second soon, but for now, this is the only car for the family. The important things we want are 3 rows of seats and captain's chairs in the second row. We don't care if the third row is 2 or 3 seats. While that likely means a fairly large vehicle, I prefer it to feel smaller when driving and have decent pickup.

    In the past we have leased a Toyota Highlander, which we liked fairly well (it felt a bit like driving a bus though with it's narrow body and long length, and was not very "fun" to drive) and now are almost done with our lease of a GMC Acadia, which we do not like at all and cannot wait to get rid of. At first I liked the Acadia for it's pickup and good handling, but we have been in and out of the dealer for various reasons with things going wrong (one of the main reasons we lease is to avoid this!) and the car lurches when it changes gears.

    Below are all the various SUVs we are considering, which I realize is a lot, so I am hoping you will be able to help me narrow it down a bit. It's also possible that I'm missing a good option. Again, so much depends on the lease rate, so I plan to go to that forum and look them all up next, but thinking we'll need to keep the total price below $50k so matter how awesome the rate is. Oh, and although we don't need all the bells and whistles available, we do like to have some, so usually end up going with the second highest trim level to get most but not all. And I realize this is silly, but if possible, I prefer not to have the same car every other soccer mom drives and am not a fan on Hondas. And thank you very much in advance!!

    Kia Telluride - love the fact that it's brand new so not a ton of people will have it, but the lease rate is not great, and I really like the look of it even though it's large

    VW Atlas - also like this one as it's newer and has a good look to it

    Subaru Ascent - this is another newer car, so I like that about it, but I really don't know much about Subarus at all as I haven't generally liked their look in the past, but this one is done pretty well

    Land Rover Discovery Sport - I didn't know there was a Land Rover in my price range, but this be appears to be and has a great look to it. I don't know anything else about the brand though

    Hyundai Santa fe XL - had a Tucson years ago and liked it well enough, but this one is very generic and common, so not super exciting to me, but would consider if it has the best set of features for a good price

    Ford Explorer - now that it offers second row captain's chairs it's made the list, but am not loving the fact that the body style hasn't changed for so many years

    Dodge Durango

    Buick Enclave

    Chevrolet Traverse
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    Ascent is great car. But so far, not leasing great. Ditto with the Mazda CX-9. Those are my favorites. The Santa Fe XL is also nice and well regarded. Plus all 3 are less Bargey than the really big boats.

    A highlander XLE is probably the beast lease deal right now.

    Explorer is a barge and long in the tooth, but a brand new design is coming out so maybe deals to be had?

    Land Rover will cost you. Durango is definitely more trucky but could be a decent deal.

    Maybe an Infiniti QX60. Some screaming deals on those right now.

    My list would be infinit, Mazda, Subaru and the Santa Fe. With highlander behind that. See what you like best, and where the numbers fall.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    I'm with stickguy in the order of preference, although I might switch Mazda and Infiniti. The Ascent is very nice but you'd have to drive it to see if you can live with lackluster performance and interior room that I think seems a bit tight for the size of the vehicle.
  • ShilohJShilohJ Tampa, FLPosts: 35
    I remember really liking the Mazda CX-9 early in my research, but I don't think it has an option for captain's chairs in the 2nd row, nor does the Infiniti I don't think. My kids like the idea of those, but it's the adults who will be driving, so I might veto that request if needed, lol. Thank you for the feedback! I've got a spreadsheet and am tracking all of them and it's amazing how different the money factors can be, which seems to make a huge difference!

    Question for stickguy... why do you say the Land Rover will cost us? From what I can tell, the money rate is fantastic and the MSRP seems reasonable for the Sport. Is there another factor I may be missing and not considering? Again, thank you for your help!! It's so hard to narrow these choices down :-)
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 165,404
    ShilohJ said:

    Hello! I am hoping you all can help me make a decision or at least narrow down my choices to 3 or so to test drive. We are looking to lease and need our payments to be around $450/month or so. Because lease rates vary so much and seem to be better for luxury brands, I can't go based solely on price alone.

    We are a family of 4 and this is our only car (we both work from home). We may be breaking down and getting a sedan as a second soon, but for now, this is the only car for the family. The important things we want are 3 rows of seats and captain's chairs in the second row. We don't care if the third row is 2 or 3 seats. While that likely means a fairly large vehicle, I prefer it to feel smaller when driving and have decent pickup.

    In the past we have leased a Toyota Highlander, which we liked fairly well (it felt a bit like driving a bus though with it's narrow body and long length, and was not very "fun" to drive) and now are almost done with our lease of a GMC Acadia, which we do not like at all and cannot wait to get rid of. At first I liked the Acadia for it's pickup and good handling, but we have been in and out of the dealer for various reasons with things going wrong (one of the main reasons we lease is to avoid this!) and the car lurches when it changes gears.

    Below are all the various SUVs we are considering, which I realize is a lot, so I am hoping you will be able to help me narrow it down a bit. It's also possible that I'm missing a good option. Again, so much depends on the lease rate, so I plan to go to that forum and look them all up next, but thinking we'll need to keep the total price below $50k so matter how awesome the rate is. Oh, and although we don't need all the bells and whistles available, we do like to have some, so usually end up going with the second highest trim level to get most but not all. And I realize this is silly, but if possible, I prefer not to have the same car every other soccer mom drives and am not a fan on Hondas. And thank you very much in advance!!

    Kia Telluride - love the fact that it's brand new so not a ton of people will have it, but the lease rate is not great, and I really like the look of it even though it's large

    VW Atlas - also like this one as it's newer and has a good look to it

    Subaru Ascent - this is another newer car, so I like that about it, but I really don't know much about Subarus at all as I haven't generally liked their look in the past, but this one is done pretty well

    Land Rover Discovery Sport - I didn't know there was a Land Rover in my price range, but this be appears to be and has a great look to it. I don't know anything else about the brand though

    Hyundai Santa fe XL - had a Tucson years ago and liked it well enough, but this one is very generic and common, so not super exciting to me, but would consider if it has the best set of features for a good price

    Ford Explorer - now that it offers second row captain's chairs it's made the list, but am not loving the fact that the body style hasn't changed for so many years

    Dodge Durango

    Buick Enclave

    Chevrolet Traverse

    I think you need to test drive them, to see what you like. Making your decisions on the relative strength of the lease deal - based on all the numbers you've requested - is the wrong approach.

    You may find a great lease deal on a car you hate to drive. I've seen it happen time and time again on these forums.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • ShilohJShilohJ Tampa, FLPosts: 35
    Thanks Micheall, you are probably right. I'm just trying to narrow down the choices, as I'm a full time working mom of 2 and just don't have many opportunities to go test drive cars, and don't want to fall in love with something we can't afford either :-) Thank you for all your help today. My spreadsheet is complete and I am narrowing down the results now!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    edited April 2019
    ShilohJ said:

    I remember really liking the Mazda CX-9 early in my research, but I don't think it has an option for captain's chairs in the 2nd row, nor does the Infiniti I don't think. My kids like the idea of those, but it's the adults who will be driving, so I might veto that request if needed, lol. Thank you for the feedback! I've got a spreadsheet and am tracking all of them and it's amazing how different the money factors can be, which seems to make a huge difference!

    Question for stickguy... why do you say the Land Rover will cost us? From what I can tell, the money rate is fantastic and the MSRP seems reasonable for the Sport. Is there another factor I may be missing and not considering? Again, thank you for your help!! It's so hard to narrow these choices down :-)

    He might be referring to the "cost" of time and aggravation with Land Rover, but I'm not sure--he might just be referring to MSRP.

    The 2018 U.S. Initial Quality Study shown here is based on responses from 75,712 purchasers and lessees of new 2018 model-year vehicles who were surveyed after 90 days of ownership. So, 2019 models could be better (or worse).


  • ShilohJShilohJ Tampa, FLPosts: 35
    Wow, that is an interesting chart! One of the things we've been annoyed with during this lease with GMC is the amount of times something has gone wrong, even though it was a brand new car, so I'm thinking I should probably avoid LandRover! Again, thank you :-)
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,347
    edited April 2019
    Yep, I’d avoid Land Rover completely.  Horrible reliability.  If ‘fun’ is important then the CX9 would be tops on my list. 
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    LR is a more intense ownership experience. which does not sound like something you want. Plus last I checked lease prices were not good.

    I would have to check on the captains chairs. Almost positive the CX9 can be had with them, and would really surprise me if the Infiniti did not. sometimes it is just an option, or on certain trim levels.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    Forgot one more. There are some pretty good deals right now on the Acura MDX. It actually leases cheaper than the smaller RDX, and probably no more than a Pilot.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,696
    ShilohJ said:
    Wow, that is an interesting chart! One of the things we've been annoyed with during this lease with GMC is the amount of times something has gone wrong, even though it was a brand new car, so I'm thinking I should probably avoid LandRover! Again, thank you :-)
    That's initial quality.  Look at the long term ratings, as they are MUCH more meaningful.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    well, on a lease, LT is irrelevant, but initial quality is real important!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    mcdawgg said:


    ShilohJ said:

    Wow, that is an interesting chart! One of the things we've been annoyed with during this lease with GMC is the amount of times something has gone wrong, even though it was a brand new car, so I'm thinking I should probably avoid LandRover! Again, thank you :-)

    That's initial quality.  Look at the long term ratings, as they are MUCH more meaningful.

    Long term has its own problems, though. What if, on Car X, the initial quality was horrible? So the poor owner brings it in for 8 warranty claims and now, one year later, the car is pretty squared away. Is that "higher score" really that reassuring for what might happen in Year Two?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,941
    ShilohJ said:

    Hello! I am hoping you all can help me make a decision or at least narrow down my choices to 3 or so to test drive. We are looking to lease and need our payments to be around $450/month or so. Because lease rates vary so much and seem to be better for luxury brands, I can't go based solely on price alone.

    We are a family of 4 and this is our only car (we both work from home). We may be breaking down and getting a sedan as a second soon, but for now, this is the only car for the family. The important things we want are 3 rows of seats and captain's chairs in the second row. We don't care if the third row is 2 or 3 seats. While that likely means a fairly large vehicle, I prefer it to feel smaller when driving and have decent pickup.

    In the past we have leased a Toyota Highlander, which we liked fairly well (it felt a bit like driving a bus though with it's narrow body and long length, and was not very "fun" to drive) and now are almost done with our lease of a GMC Acadia, which we do not like at all and cannot wait to get rid of. At first I liked the Acadia for it's pickup and good handling, but we have been in and out of the dealer for various reasons with things going wrong (one of the main reasons we lease is to avoid this!) and the car lurches when it changes gears.

    Below are all the various SUVs we are considering, which I realize is a lot, so I am hoping you will be able to help me narrow it down a bit. It's also possible that I'm missing a good option. Again, so much depends on the lease rate, so I plan to go to that forum and look them all up next, but thinking we'll need to keep the total price below $50k so matter how awesome the rate is. Oh, and although we don't need all the bells and whistles available, we do like to have some, so usually end up going with the second highest trim level to get most but not all. And I realize this is silly, but if possible, I prefer not to have the same car every other soccer mom drives and am not a fan on Hondas. And thank you very much in advance!!

    Kia Telluride - love the fact that it's brand new so not a ton of people will have it, but the lease rate is not great, and I really like the look of it even though it's large

    VW Atlas - also like this one as it's newer and has a good look to it

    Subaru Ascent - this is another newer car, so I like that about it, but I really don't know much about Subarus at all as I haven't generally liked their look in the past, but this one is done pretty well

    Land Rover Discovery Sport - I didn't know there was a Land Rover in my price range, but this be appears to be and has a great look to it. I don't know anything else about the brand though

    Hyundai Santa fe XL - had a Tucson years ago and liked it well enough, but this one is very generic and common, so not super exciting to me, but would consider if it has the best set of features for a good price

    Ford Explorer - now that it offers second row captain's chairs it's made the list, but am not loving the fact that the body style hasn't changed for so many years

    Dodge Durango

    Buick Enclave

    Chevrolet Traverse

    Motor Trend just did a "Final Four" type of comparo to find the "ultimate family vehicle". They had four "brackets"--mid-sized sedans, mid-sized SUVs, large SUVs, and minivans. The winners of the 4 brackets squared off against each other in a "final four". The two finalists were the Chevy Blazer vs. the Chrysler Pacifica--SUV vs. minivan. Guess which won? The Pacifica.

    I mention this in case you never considered a minivan for your main family vehicle. When I was raising kids, I owned or leased four different minivans and they were great for hauling the family (don't forget the grandparents!), the kid's friends, and a lot of "stuff". The last minivan I owned was a 2007 Town & Country with the Stow-n-Go seats, which were fantastic.

    I'm sure you could find a lease on a well-equipped Pacifica for under $450. There's also a hybrid, but that might take you over $450. Another option is a slightly-used Pacifica, with the payment under $450 (e.g. I found several low miles Pacificas from Chrysler dealers my area for under $24k).

    Sure, they're kind of big, but so are several of the SUVs you're considering.

    Just a thought.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,289
    backy said:
    Hello! I am hoping you all can help me make a decision or at least narrow down my choices to 3 or so to test drive. We are looking to lease and need our payments to be around $450/month or so. Because lease rates vary so much and seem to be better for luxury brands, I can't go based solely on price alone. We are a family of 4 and this is our only car (we both work from home). We may be breaking down and getting a sedan as a second soon, but for now, this is the only car for the family. The important things we want are 3 rows of seats and captain's chairs in the second row. We don't care if the third row is 2 or 3 seats. While that likely means a fairly large vehicle, I prefer it to feel smaller when driving and have decent pickup. In the past we have leased a Toyota Highlander, which we liked fairly well (it felt a bit like driving a bus though with it's narrow body and long length, and was not very "fun" to drive) and now are almost done with our lease of a GMC Acadia, which we do not like at all and cannot wait to get rid of. At first I liked the Acadia for it's pickup and good handling, but we have been in and out of the dealer for various reasons with things going wrong (one of the main reasons we lease is to avoid this!) and the car lurches when it changes gears. Below are all the various SUVs we are considering, which I realize is a lot, so I am hoping you will be able to help me narrow it down a bit. It's also possible that I'm missing a good option. Again, so much depends on the lease rate, so I plan to go to that forum and look them all up next, but thinking we'll need to keep the total price below $50k so matter how awesome the rate is. Oh, and although we don't need all the bells and whistles available, we do like to have some, so usually end up going with the second highest trim level to get most but not all. And I realize this is silly, but if possible, I prefer not to have the same car every other soccer mom drives and am not a fan on Hondas. And thank you very much in advance!! Kia Telluride - love the fact that it's brand new so not a ton of people will have it, but the lease rate is not great, and I really like the look of it even though it's large VW Atlas - also like this one as it's newer and has a good look to it Subaru Ascent - this is another newer car, so I like that about it, but I really don't know much about Subarus at all as I haven't generally liked their look in the past, but this one is done pretty well Land Rover Discovery Sport - I didn't know there was a Land Rover in my price range, but this be appears to be and has a great look to it. I don't know anything else about the brand though Hyundai Santa fe XL - had a Tucson years ago and liked it well enough, but this one is very generic and common, so not super exciting to me, but would consider if it has the best set of features for a good price Ford Explorer - now that it offers second row captain's chairs it's made the list, but am not loving the fact that the body style hasn't changed for so many years Dodge Durango Buick Enclave Chevrolet Traverse
    Motor Trend just did a "Final Four" type of comparo to find the "ultimate family vehicle". They had four "brackets"--mid-sized sedans, mid-sized SUVs, large SUVs, and minivans. The winners of the 4 brackets squared off against each other in a "final four". The two finalists were the Chevy Blazer vs. the Chrysler Pacifica--SUV vs. minivan. Guess which won? The Pacifica. I mention this in case you never considered a minivan for your main family vehicle. When I was raising kids, I owned or leased four different minivans and they were great for hauling the family (don't forget the grandparents!), the kid's friends, and a lot of "stuff". The last minivan I owned was a 2007 Town & Country with the Stow-n-Go seats, which were fantastic. I'm sure you could find a lease on a well-equipped Pacifica for under $450. There's also a hybrid, but that might take you over $450. Another option is a slightly-used Pacifica, with the payment under $450 (e.g. I found several low miles Pacificas from Chrysler dealers my area for under $24k). Sure, they're kind of big, but so are several of the SUVs you're considering. Just a thought.
    I was quite surprised how that “comparo” unfolded. I never would have guess the Blazer  would beat the Passport and the Altima would beat the Camry. Was also shocked to see them choose the Pac over the Ascent in the next bracket.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    The Pacifica does "mini-van" very, very well. It is quite thoughtfully laid out for family use. All those nifty little "features" add up to impress.
  • NYCWingsNYCWings AtlantaPosts: 10
    Ok guys I need your help. I narrowed down my search to 2 used trucks based on price affordability and insurance quotes.

    Suzuki XL7 2007 vs Mitsubishi Endeavor 2006.

    Please let me know what yall think about it!! asap

    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 171,069
    NYCWings said:

    Ok guys I need your help. I narrowed down my search to 2 used trucks based on price affordability and insurance quotes.

    Suzuki XL7 2007 vs Mitsubishi Endeavor 2006.

    Please let me know what yall think about it!! asap

    Thanks

    With Mitsu still in business in the US, I think I'd go with that one.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    That, and base it on condition and known maintenance history.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • texasestexases Posts: 9,347
    12-13 year old vehicles can have problems, that's for sure. Spend $100 or so to have a trusted mechanic conduct a 'pre purchase inspection' (PPI) to identify any obvious problems. It's be nice to have their maintenance history, but that can be hard to come by. Also, pull a CarFax on whichever you're most interested in. It's not a complete record, but if you find problems, walk away. There are lots of used vehicles out there.
  • I'm looking for a lease under 300.00, I want leather, panoramic moon roof, navigation, bluetooth, heated seats and parking assist camera. That is what I currently have and would like to have to same on my new lease.
  • Blueguy19Blueguy19 NJPosts: 16
    Torn between 2019 Acura MDX with Tech package vs. VW Atlas SEL 4MOTION

    I'm getting 2019 Acura MDX with Tech package for about $43,500 after about $9,400 in discounts. I was earlier set on buying 2019 Volkwagen Atlas SEL 4MOTION for $41,500 but looking at MDX deal its very tempting. VW Atlas is a clear winner for us since we have kids in car seats so we can't put them in 3rd row. Hence we would need 3rd two that's good for adults when family members visit us for extended period of time - about couple of months once or twice a week as well as few weekends from Friday to Monday when we go road tripping.

    Also other VW Atlas features such as digital cockpit, spacious cargo when 3rd row seats are folded, sunroof/moonroof extending over 2nd row are really valuable vs. Acura MDX.

    Only reason Acura MDX is still on our mind is because of nicer looking cabin with leather seats, don't like cabin and leatherette seating surfaces in VW Atlas.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    boston100 said:

    I'm looking for a lease under 300.00, I want leather, panoramic moon roof, navigation, bluetooth, heated seats and parking assist camera. That is what I currently have and would like to have to same on my new lease.

    Tough price point noses you are putting some money in. Best bet might be a VW Jetta. Has everything you want at a reasonable price. Just use Navi through CarPlay or android auto.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    Blueguy19 said:

    Torn between 2019 Acura MDX with Tech package vs. VW Atlas SEL 4MOTION

    I'm getting 2019 Acura MDX with Tech package for about $43,500 after about $9,400 in discounts. I was earlier set on buying 2019 Volkwagen Atlas SEL 4MOTION for $41,500 but looking at MDX deal its very tempting. VW Atlas is a clear winner for us since we have kids in car seats so we can't put them in 3rd row. Hence we would need 3rd two that's good for adults when family members visit us for extended period of time - about couple of months once or twice a week as well as few weekends from Friday to Monday when we go road tripping.

    Also other VW Atlas features such as digital cockpit, spacious cargo when 3rd row seats are folded, sunroof/moonroof extending over 2nd row are really valuable vs. Acura MDX.

    Only reason Acura MDX is still on our mind is because of nicer looking cabin with leather seats, don't like cabin and leatherette seating surfaces in VW Atlas.

    Always pluses and minuses. Just need to rank your priorities and pick what works best. Both are good cars though.

    But as always, if carrying extra people, and especially adults in the way back, a minivan is a much better choice!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • BH86ENGBH86ENG Oklahoma CityPosts: 1
    A bit more elaborate / specific question.

    I want to switch up the stable with a new baby here (still in NICU :worried: ) and the desire to get momma into an SUV and stop daily driving vehicles that need up-rated gasoline (>87 octane).

    Current stable:
    2000 Corvette - Selling, plan on $12,000 from sale
    2013 Ram 1500 - Selling, plan on $17,000 from sale
    2006 BMW 330i - Keeping, could only make $2,000 from sale (221,500 miles)

    The idea is to sell the vette, use the money to mostly pay for new SUV for wife, sell truck, pay off SUV, remainder becomes my new daily.

    SUV requirements are 2-row, AWD, 87 octane, like to be in the 20's for mpg. She is eyeing a Cadillac SRX.

    My daily gets tricky. I want to have another truck due to the utility aspect. I also want to be able to tow 6,000 lbs (u-haul auto transport + car). My idea was a 2013 regular cab V6 Ram short bed (8' looks horrid proportionally). I would prefer better mpg but it's not a total deal-breaker. My commute is 64 miles / day.

    Plan on keeping the BMW as a fun thing just due to age, mileage, and the fact I won't get much $ at all for it. Like having 3 cars for the backup. Have to sell in the order is listed earlier cause wife can't drive stick and both vette and BMW are manual. Want to have 2 cars she can drive in case one goes down.

    Fun side note: Oklahoma roads be rough my friend...

    Anyway that's my thought. Let me know what you think or if you have any other suggestions!

    Remember, enjoy what you drive!

    -Brian
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,347
    The Mazda CX-5 is now available with a turbo 4, it’s at the top of my list. 
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    it is also quite pricey like that. Pushing 40K.

    based on the $ amounts (and mention of an SRX) must be looking used. So, will largely depend on what she likes, and what you can find that is clean. My take, an SRX is probably not a good bet in that price range.

    How about a Hyundai santa fe? The just replaced generation (new for 2013) is very nice, good value, respectable MPG. and could still be under warranty. Ford Edge could be a good option too.

    for the truck, unless you are getting something much older are way higher miles, are you really going to save that much making that move? Might be better to just keep what you have it if works, in good shape, etc. Plus, I assume you have a V8? I would not want to be using the the V6 model to tow that much weight on an open trailer. But I am a big fan of overkill!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • VicJo11VicJo11 NYCPosts: 1
    I'm trying to decide on my next lease. I've leased a Chevy Equinox for the last 6 years (2 different leases) and am ready to try something different. I want to keep my payment under $300/month if possible (looks like that would be a price around $27,000-28,000). I am leaning towards the CX-5 but slightly hesitant because of the small size (I have two children, one with a carseat). I don't like the CRV. Any others I should consider in my price range? Is the CX-5 a good car for a family? I don't need a TON of space, just something comparable to my Equinox.
  • texasestexases Posts: 9,347
    How about the Rav4? Only you can decide on size, they're all similar. A Forester might also be worth a look.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    Look at a Santa Fe also. Roomier, and nice.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 171,069
    Foresters seem to lease pretty well.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    I always thought Subaru’s where pretty Meh as leases.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 171,069
    stickguy said:

    I always thought Subaru’s where pretty Meh as leases.

    Foresters are usually good. Outbacks are good, right now (new model coming?)

    The rest of them are not good.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • JRizzooJRizzoo AZPosts: 8

    I'm looking to lease a car preferably under 300/month that comes with a decent package and has some pick up to it.

    So far I've test drove the 2018 or each car:

    Lexus ES350

    Camry LE

    Acura TLX

    Honda Accord LX

    I like the lexus ES350 the most but finding it around 300 is impossible along with the acura.

    Is there any sedan 2017 or newer that is similar to the lexus es350 for under 300?

    I've also drove my friends 2017 kia cadenza, 2017 Hyundai genesis and used to own a 2008 hyundai azera so used to hyundai/kia.

  • texasestexases Posts: 9,347

    The Camry with a V6 would have just about identical performance to the ES350, same engine.

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690

    under $300 is going to be tough for something like that. Maybe try a Maxima.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • JRizzooJRizzoo AZPosts: 8

    Thanks for the suggetions.

    @texases you're right, the XLE/XSE models have similar specs. But looks like it would cost over 300 still. I prefer to not put any money down for a lease if I don't have to.

    @stickguy I drove a 2017 maxima and didn't like the feel of it too much.

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 165,404

    Under $300/mo? You're shopping in the wrong price bracket.

    Think compact sedan or SUV.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • themesofdthemesofd 30026Posts: 3

    Hello All! I will be LEASING a NEW vehicle in July and need some advice on on some car options. Price range: between 300-400/month for a 36 months / 10k mile lease. What is important to me is that it is FUN to drive, while being a practical daily driver. Must haves: fun acceleration, nice interior without the cheap hard plastic, manual transmission, and in the small to small/medium sized category. I have been looking at the Mazda3 hatchback (a little too small and underpowered for my liking), Civic Si (nice overall but lots of plastic and not a fan of the exterior), and the VW GTI SE (my favorite so far, but not a huge fan of the depreciation compared to the civic).

    Any other options or thoughts? Thanks!

  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,289

    You can get any car for under $300/mo if you put enough down up front.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690

    Manual limits options. Try a new VW GLI. Or GTI. You basically just described them.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • texasestexases Posts: 9,347

    Yep, those 3 are the ones to consider, pick the one you like.

  • JRizzooJRizzoo AZPosts: 8

    @qbrozen Good point. For leasing, I'm trying to not put alot down but it seems I will have to going by the prices of the cars I'm looking at

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 39,690
    If the total outlay over the lease is the same, much better idea to save money up front and do a higher payment. If something happens and the car gets totaled early on, that money you put down just disappears. Better off hanging onto it and doling it out each month.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 165,404
    Or, shop a less expensive model

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • mewnseamewnsea Posts: 3
    Hello! Just looking for any additional thoughts. My daughter's car recently died, so I'm in the market so I can give her my accord. I've had an explorer in the past and really miss the higher profile, but have a regular commute so MPG is important. I've always purchased a decked out older model, but am looking to lease - but want some of those premiums I'm used to. My spouse's vehicle is a CRV and it's pretty unimpressive. I've been looking at RAV4 XLE Premium but it's a bit higher than I'd like to pay. Crossovers are a thought but I'm also tall so that's something to take into consideration!
  • JRizzooJRizzoo AZPosts: 8

    Just so I understand this correctly,

    How do you find out about MF and RV numbers for used cars (ex. 2016-2018)? Or are those numbers only for new cars?

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 165,404
    JRizzoo said:

    Just so I understand this correctly,

    How do you find out about MF and RV numbers for used cars (ex. 2016-2018)? Or are those numbers only for new cars?

    We don't have any information. There may be CPO programs available, but they aren't available to us.

    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,289
    mewnsea said:

    Hello! Just looking for any additional thoughts. My daughter's car recently died, so I'm in the market so I can give her my accord. I've had an explorer in the past and really miss the higher profile, but have a regular commute so MPG is important. I've always purchased a decked out older model, but am looking to lease - but want some of those premiums I'm used to. My spouse's vehicle is a CRV and it's pretty unimpressive. I've been looking at RAV4 XLE Premium but it's a bit higher than I'd like to pay. Crossovers are a thought but I'm also tall so that's something to take into consideration!

    What kind of lease payment are you looking for? An X3, for example, leases fairly well (probably better than an Explorer) and gets darned good mileage.

    '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

Sign In or Register to comment.