Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    depends how much they want to make the sale

If they don't, you get to choose whether it's worth the overage that they want to charge you....or you can go buy it at Fitzmall directly.

My local dealership decided to match, and quite frankly I was indifferent since Fitz is right across the street from a business location I frequent about once a quarter. I could easily have bought it at Fitzmall, and know a number of folks who have.

Initially the local sales manager actually didn't match Fitz, so I walked. I didn't get 15 minutes away before I had a phone message saying they'd reconsidered and would accept the offer, and please come back. So I ended up buying it locally, but quite frankly I like the no hassle great pricing that Fitz offers, and think that really is the future approach for car buying. I can sit at my desk, check their inventory, find a vehicle that will meet my needs, do all the paperwork via the mail upfront, and go up do a final inspection and sign the paperwork, all in a no hassle approach....gotta love it.

All's I want is a hassle free, easy purchase, with a very reasonable price so I don't feel like I got ripped off. Give me you best price up front, no tricks, no gimmicks.
  • Options
    drumsdrums Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

I just bought a 2009 camry se with moonroof, rear spoiler, and mats (I think it is stupid to charge this - they should be included) it is the sport edition. The only reason I bought this was b/c theere was limited color choices for the LE or SE. I wanted a white, black or silver camry.

Anyways, we were going to get the Nissan Rouge b/c of zero percent financing for 36 months. We had to go to toyota dealership for service on our 2006 Sienna. There we saw a sign for 0.0 APR for toyotas. we asked the salesman for which models were on zero percent finacing and he said yaris and camrys. Of course, camry was one of our top choices. What made it even better was that it was for 60 months. That's how we bought our Sienna. We asked what was available in inventory. Anyway, the delarship had a Red Camry LE (demo with around 6 K miles - they wanted $22,000) and white loaded Camry SE with V6 with leather seats - the sticker price for $28,000 for this. We didn't like the red camry b/c we were concerned if it would like professional for hubby (it looked like car that a generation x or teenager would drive)........the white one was beautiful but had more options than we needed and we were concerned that the V6 would be gas guzzler.

anyway, we went another dealship - a high volume dealership in Long Island NY. They had Red and Sandy Beige LE (like 4 of them) and then they a Silver SE with moonroof. We solely chose the Silver one b/c of color.

The zero percent was expiring on 6/1 and I was visiting family in LOng island so I only had a few hours to get back home. We also took our toddler with us. I did not have any of edmunds or kbb. I had no clue what people were paying. I did ask my brother to look it up on edmunds or kbb. So basically I would up paying invoice price 22,674 plus $admistrative fee of $374 (I haggled for them to waive this. So they took off $200 plus taxes, title, and registration fee. I am in PA. I am feeling bad that I paid too much. The invoice price was something that salesman printed and bought out after I said I want to go back to my parents and do some research. Anyway, he looked up edmunds in front of me. I told them I would pay invoice because my toddler was running around and driving us crazy and the salesman made us wait - by talking to other customers, going to his boss......the whole nine yard.....make you sweat and wear you down. We had to go to a party - we just wanted out for a service appt. and wound buying a car. We didn't buy the car from PA b/c they did not have zero percent here - we asked serveral times.

Please let me know what kind of deal I got. I am pretty sure they would have sold the car at $500 below what I paid but it would have taken a couple more hours of negotiations and I didn't have the time and was afraid the car might sell by the next day. We didn't want the red or gold (sandy beige) colors.

Also is the $374 fee for prep the car and administrative charges is that normal and customary? I don't think we were charged that when we bought the sienna at another dealership in upstate ny.

Did I get ripped off - or was this a fair deal? Also does the mrsp that website advertise does that include destination charge of $700 or $800?
  • Options
    john7485john7485 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone provide any numbers on a base LE 4 cylinder with only AM/FM radio in Northern California/Bay area?

The best quote I'm getting is 18,498 before TTL. Is anyone getting better?
  • Options
    I'd say you should have done a little bit more research before you bought.....and I advise against having your kids running around stressing you out when you're trying to make a major purchase like this (been there, done that). Teenagers can be worse however, oohhing and aaaaahhhing saying they love something and I should buy it. Not conducive to getting a great deal.

You can get a 2010 Camry SE for about 1K under invoice at Fitzmall. Not exactly an apples to oranges comparison, because the 2010 also has newer engine, 6 speed automatic, and VSC as standard.

Nothing you can do about it now though, so enjoy your new car. It's a great car, you'll love it. We have over 40K miles on ours, and runs fabulous.

Here's a 2010 silver SE 2010 SE
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    I got the same deal in December in Rochester One well known dealer said I could not buy a car for that price We had done business with them for fifteen years in East Rochester. The other dealer was terrific
  • Options
    pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    You make a good point (it depends on the dealer). I guess I will need to keep my fingers crossed...

Yes, a hassle free purchase is all I want as well.
  • Options
    2010 Toyota Camry
    Model #2540
    (XLE 6-Speed Automatic 4dr Sedan)

Included Packages and Options:

FE - 50 State Emissions
    HD - Heated Front Seats
    LA - Leather Package includes: Camelot Leather Seat Trim, Door Trim w/Integrated Armrest
    Z1 - Preferred Premium Accessory Package includes: Carpet Floor/Trunk Mat (5-Piece Set), V.I.P. Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS), First Aid Kit
    MSRP: $28,641
    Their Toyota Price (dealer): $26,023
    Your Final Price $26,023*

I replied to see if the destination fee was included.This is too good to be true.....
  • Options
    brygobrygo Member Posts: 12
    Check out the newspaper ad on Friday. Your quote is about $500 - $600 higher than the advertised price.
  • Options
    i agree but I was only in NY for 1 day and the deal was ending and there is limited inventory on the 09 cars. I was only going to buy on the zero percent financing. I would have bought a used camry on cash or zero percent. that's how we bought our 2006 Sienna (0.0 APR).

I called fitzmall yesterday. Their invoice price includes the $1500 rebate. You can choose the rebate or the 0.0% A.P.R . thru toyota motor credit. I think the zero percent was a better deal for us. I believe we could have gotten a better deal if we were willing to stay there a little long and haggle some more but I have come to the conclusion that we find deals when you are not looking for them. I don't remember zero percent 0% APR on camrys. I could be wrong. If I was paying cash I would have bought a certified camry.

How much did I overpay?

thanks.
  • Options
    which quote are you referring to? which ad in Fridays's paper. could you send me a link?
  • Options
    How much did I overpay?

Not an easy question to answer, there are too many personal decisions/factors, and it is made up of both objective and subjective factors.

- let's just take the 0% financing. That 'cost' you $1,500 bucks up front, to purchase the ability to have a 0% loan. To know whether that is a good deal or not, you need to know how much you borrowed, how long the payments are for, and what % you could have financed it for at your personal credit union or other banks. Run those numbers thru a financial calculator, figure out what the payments would have been had you financed it through a personal bank at the lower amount borrowed, compare to the payments you have, and then take the NPV (net present value) of that difference in payment streams. That will tell you whether you should have taken the 1,500 rebate or the 0% financing. Generally speaking, putting more down would favor the rebate alternative, small difference in % rate (good credit rating) would favor the rebate alternative, paying the loan off ahead of time would favor the rebate, etc.

- let's take the 2010 model year versus the 2009 model year. That's potentially worth a grand difference on tradein, assuming you turn your vehicles over in the 3-5 year timeframe. If you keep your vehicles longer it's worth less, as 10 year old vehicles are valued more on their condition as opposed to their age. For comparitive purposes look at tradein values for a given car with X miles, and then change the year of the vehicle one year. I just did a 2006 Camry SE w/40K miles against a 2007 SE w/40K miles and for my zipcode the clean tradein difference was $1,400. However to be technically accurate, you should discount that amount by the time value of money since those are future dollars, so it would be worth slightly less than that in today's dollars.

- New model features. The 2010 engine is more powerful, it's a 6 speed transmission vs. 5 speed, and VSC is now standard. I don't know whether those are important to you (or your tradein buyer), or not. Some folks will say to never buy a first year model of any brand. This really isn't a first year model, but it is a new engine so you may be avoiding problems by buying the 2009. On the other hand, when I bought mine I wanted VSC so paid an extra 500+ or so for it to get that option, so to me....the VSC alone is worth more. To me, I'm perfectly happy with the power and transmission of the 2007-2009, so it would be nice to have but probably would only be 'worth' to me say 500. So to me in total, I'd value the 2010 drive train package at perhaps $1K over the 2009. Whether any of those are important to YOU (that you'd be willing to pay for if given the choice), only you can answer. Could be you don't care at all and it's worth zero to you, or could be it's worth 2k to you.

- Your urgency to buy. Your time and effort in finding and negotiating a deal is worth something to you. I'm sure if you researched for ever and checked every dealership you could save some money over your deal, but at what additional cost and aggravation to you. Nobody but you can place a value on your time and aggrevation levels.

So yes, you could have done better, but only you have enough info to put a $$ amount on it. But quite frankly, it really doesn't matter any more. Once you drove it over the dealership curb you own it, you paid what you paid. Don't worry about things that you have no control over anymore. Enjoy your vehicle!
  • Options
    thanks for your detailed message. I really appreciate. For me the zero percent financing for 60 months was big. My monthly payment is $364 ( I paid up front for taxes - 6 percent in PA) and tags were $135. I paid the dealership $45 for documentation. In addition they wanted $374 for preping car and adminstrative costs. Is this normal? Can dealerships charge this amount?

again the deal for me 0.0 APR for 60 months was huge, especially on a camry which is known for reliability. Limited colors and inventory left on the '09 models. I am skeptical of a new models.......it may go either way. If anyone does the consumer reports research they will see that certain camry and corolla model years are better than others.
    I didn't want to lease this car or any other car b/c I think leasing is like throwing away money and is worse than renting a house. There are so many restrictions. Its good for people who can get a business dedication and for driving a luxury car, but I want to hold on to the car and pass it on to the kids who will hopefully be driving in the next 5 years. There are lots of 0.0 APR deals out there for car up to 72 months. But I don't want a car that is not worth anything by the time I am finisned paying for it. The VW passat for on 0.0% for 66 months and chyrslers and GMs are for 72 months 0.0% If the honda or nissans were on 0.0 APR I would have strongly considered those. Too bad Honda does not do this type of financing. When ever you are paying more than 0.0 APR you are paying alot more than the sale price.........

that's for us 0.0% is a huge incentive. I guess paying $20,000 and saving $1500 upfront was not big enough. I guess I could use that money elsewhere while paying monthly car payments. $365 means reasonable considering that you could lease a camry and have to pay at least $199 plus a few grand down plus TTL costs and would have to return the car.

I appreciate anymore feedback I can get......

thanks.
  • Options
    I've seen dealerships charge from zero to 700 bucks, for admin costs. I believe dealerships in PA those charges might be legally capped at something like 100 bucks, but not sure. To get to an apples to apples comparison, I just ask each dealership to detail out all of their fees so I can look at the bottom line. Some dealerships will tell you they have to charge everyone a certain admin fee (and pre-print it on their orders), that's fine, just lower the sales price of the vehicle. I don't care how they want to 'account' for revenue, it's the bottom line total that matters to me. They can move the money around anyway they want to.

I believe that's a great strategy to pass the vehicle on to kids, that is exactly why we bought it. We drove it for a while, then trained my daughter on it so that she is driving it now, and now will be training second daughter on it. Safe vehicle, easily visible (we also bought silver), doesn't show the dirt if they don't wash it, stable (isn't top heavy like an SUV), gets good mileage, reliable and easy to repair if necessary, reasonable insurance rates, didn't pay a ton of money for it, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure a number of vehicles would also meet those criteria, but the Camry worked out great for us, and I would buy another in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Well, I received a price for 27,750 + tt's for the car. Good deal?
  • Options
    What options are on the car, what is the MSRP?
  • Options
    Options:

Heated seats and smart key system. I can not recall the msrp. I will find out
  • Options
    you can find it on on the sticker on the car. It should be with all your other papers or in glove compartment....
  • Options
    They have to order it. If I do not hear from the other dealers. I will put a deposit down.
  • Options
    did you try carsdirect.com or autobytel. I guess you could research carsdirect on this forum and see what experience others have had. I have read that fitzmall.com is a good reference point too. but everyone is including rebate price in the invoice.......
  • Options
    You think I can get another 300 off the price? I know fitzmall has the same model and options for 27,432 (give or take a few bucks)...
  • Options
    it doesn't hurt to ask. although, you never know with different dealership. contact the internet dept. and tell them your final offer and see if they accept it. Most dealership know you are serious if you are in the dealership. they don't want to give you a lowball figure that you take to anohter dealership.......its a competitive business. I bought my 2009 camry se at the end of the month. Let them know you are ready to do the deal if you get the price.....
  • Options
    bluelarkbluelark Member Posts: 3
    I got a new grey Camry in Northern Virginia (Tysons Corner) with an MSRP of
    $22, 610 for only $17, 310 and the car only had 15 miles on it. I believe I got a really good deal especially since I couldn't find any other posts on this site with prices below $18,000
  • Options
    Fantastic price.

Did you have a trade with this, or was it a cash deal?
  • Options
    longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    Does the price include destination and doc fee?
  • Options
    There was no trade in and I got the 1500 off toyota deal plus 1000 for being a college grad.
  • Options
    It was my first car purchase and unfortunately the doc and admin fee were extra.
  • Options
    how much was doc and adminstrative costs to prep the car, pay the salesman according to dealership.......tbey use the salesman to make you feel guilty.....the salesman was a young guy in his early twenties. The needed that $374 to prep the vehicle and administrative costs........but they are paid by whichever finance company the buyer uses (in my case I used Toyota Motor credit corp).........It really is sad to see the tactics......as more and more people are becoming internet savvy the tactics are becoming more and more sneakier and they are legimate and actually taught to the salesmans in seminars and meetings by dealership and the automaker.......everytime you present an offer they have to go back to the boss and ask..........this is mostly a ploy,,,,,,,,I am sure the salesman are told in the morning what price they will accept for a particular car especially if the new year is already in stock..............

advice for buyers is do your research thoroughly...........call and email several local dealerships and look for internet pricing at stores like fitzmall.com. Edmunds and kbb prices and invoices may be inflated.....so be prepared to bargain..........

be polite to the salesman. Don't be offensive and lowball figures b/c that will show that you are not serious. Make sure they know you are serious and we will buy the car if they get the offer that you are looking........don't ever talk monthly payments but OTD PRICING inclusive of all fees.

Don't automatically buy the additonal mechanical breakdown and gap insurance .......and other fine products the finance salesman will try to sell you unless you feel you need. Mechanical breakdown can be offered and covered by your insurance company.........it may be very similar to what the automaker is offering but at the fraction of the cost..........READ THE FINE PRINT

Don't buy a car in a hurry and don't buy in your first visit unless the car is on clearance and there is limited inventory on the color of your choice. That's what happened in my case, b/c there was limited color choices and I only wanted white, black, and silver........didn't really care for the other colors......I wound up buying an SE rather an LE b/c the color was the one we wanted........they had a few sandy beige - I had a few cars in that color for the past 10 years.......time for change........and RED - which is a beautiful color - but at my age and for work.......also the insurance costs are higher and increased tickets was too much risk for me.............

Do buy at the end of the month.................
  • Options
    pilgrim48pilgrim48 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I are in Central Texas and looking to buy a new Camry LE this week.

We are interested in some thoughts on whether to buy 2009 or 2010 (new engine)?

We're being quoted a difference of roughly $2,400 for comparable vehicles.

Also wondered if we're in the ballpark for a good deal. We're being quoted between $19.8K and 20.4K for 2009s, and between $22.2K and 22.8K for 2010s.

All models are fairly basic except for the "Owner Rewards Package".

Thanks!
  • Options
    rialiriali Member Posts: 7
    Saw newspaper ad for 16888 + taxes, went to check out but couldn't resist buying.
    Buying experience was very good at folsom lake toyota, no pressure and finished in few mins.
  • Options
    zhangsquallzhangsquall Member Posts: 9
    Lexus_ne, Can you share the name of the dealership? B/c I'm going to buy 09 Camry LE V6 around Boston soon. What do you expect the OTD can I get from your research?

Thank you.
  • Options
    penyrilehunterpenyrilehunter Member Posts: 4
    was that an automatic of manual?
  • Options
    abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    Yeah, goodluck finding one. Most dealers only have about 3 09 Camry's left and most are the 4cyl. version....lots of them are "chauffer cars" too, so they have above 300 miles on the OD.
  • Options
    zhangsquallzhangsquall Member Posts: 9
    That's too bad...
    I heard that the engine on 2010 is a new version which could be not so reliable?
  • Options
    wazzupwazzup Member Posts: 1
    I bought a base Camry LE for 20.3 K before tax and title in Southern California. It was roughly 700 below invoice. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    It's a new 2.5L as opposed to the old 2.4L and the 2010 gets a 6 speed auto as opposed to the 5 speed auto. The 2.4 is getting old and is actually the same engine that is in the Scion TC and the XRS corolla (although they are tuned differently). The 2.5L is possibly a tuned down version of that found in the 09 Rav4. If you want to check out how well the 2.L will handle in terms of reliability, then do soem research on the 09 Rav 4.
  • Options
    Hey Wazzup ... That helps - but was that for a 2009 or 2010? Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    rialiriali Member Posts: 7
    Automatic, CE, new 11miles.
  • Options
    skpdskpd Member Posts: 2
    It's been days now since I have been emailing back and forward with a few dealerships around the Chicago area about buying a v6 Camry.

Initially I had a deal for a 2009 at $21,500 + taxes and fees which I tought was pretty good especially because it was at 0% for 36 months. Well, that fell though the cracks because they cannot find a silver v6 with rims to transfer in a 500 miles radius. 2009 models are very scarce right now.

So I went to 2010.
    Right now the best deal I have nailed down is for $25,000 OTD (all taxes and fees included) for a 2010 Camry v6, silver with alloy wheels but they have to order it and it takes about 8 weeks.
    The other v6's with rims also have sunroof and audio upgrade which I really don't want to pay for which would be $27k OTD

Is $25k OTD a solid price?

Also I do not know if I can get that $25k deal at 2.99% for 36 months...they told me it's either 2.99% or the $750 rebate (btw, the $750 rebate is effective as of this morning Thursday 6/11/09 in the Chicago area)
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a vehicle and ended up with some options by the dealer at little or no extra cost. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
  • Options
    Many thanks to all those that posted their info here. Made a deal over the phone (Nashville TN area) for a 2009 Camry LE 4 cyl. Automatic dessert sand mica. No extras except for floor mats (MSRP $22569). Their original offer was $18900. When he called the next day to see if I was interested he came down to 18700. I offered $18387 and he called back within 10 minutes and accepted. The above prices include all dealer fees but not TTL which I will take care of in home state of KY. Picked the car up Saturday. 20 miles on the car. Took less than 1.5 hr. to look over the car, test drive and sign the paperwork. The dealer didn’t try to slip any extra fees in except for a $60.98 business tax which they immediately took off when I said that $18387 was the total price OTD that we agreed on. As quickly as he jumped on my offer you probably could’ve gotten them to come down a few hundred more but their 2009 inventory was getting low and their original offer was 200 to 1200 lower than 8 to 10 other dealers within 150 mi. that I had talked to and they were only 60 mi. away.
    Anyone debating on whether to buy a 2009 or 2010, don’t buy for the 2.5 vs 2.4. We had a 2010 rental for about 4 days and I can’t tell that it has any more power than the 2009.
  • Options
    Great price on the 2009! And they are getting hard to come by. I do disagree on one point, however. My wife and I drove several 2009s and then a few 2010s - and the 2010s definitely have significantly more power and smoother acceleration.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Nice name, there!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Welll...here is this one...

my mom was shopping for an 09. Were thinking of offering 17.9K for a base LE and getting financing elsewhere. After Herb Chambers said no way, you have to pay 19 blah blah...we left (yeah right, 19 is too much for a base LE 09). Next day, I get a random email from IRA Toyota. 2010 LE with MSRP 22820 for 18895 +TTL. I immediatly phone my mom from work and she tells me too book an appt. for her. 3 hours after her appt, she calls me telling me she bought it for 19.1K OTD (that means she talked it down to 17.6 or something). Appearently, she "misunderstood" me and thought that 18995 was the OTD price and that it was a 2009. She waltzed in there with her check book and then when they started adding taxes and stuff, she said no way and started to walk away. After 45 minutes of arguing....they give her the car for 19.1K OTD. All I can say is wow. Whether my mom purposely "misunderstood", I have no idea....Either way, 2010 LE Camry for 19.1K OTD sounds pretty good too me AND she got the 2.9% financing. I just wish she didn't pick silver...yuck.

Anyways, 18995 was their offer. If IRA can do it, so can other dealers. Be aggressive when negotiating.
  • Options
    anil9999anil9999 Member Posts: 1
    HI,

Where your mother bought this vehicle. dealer plz.
  • Options
    Sounds like you got a heck of a good deal. Did the 19.1 K include any sales tax and if so what percent do you pay in your home state?
  • Options
    She got it at Ira Toyota. They have 3 Toyota dealerships in New ENgland.
  • Options
    price includes 5% tax and all fees.
  • Options
    Had an appt with the dealer today. I showed him the fitzmall internet price of 27004.

They did not match but I got the car for 27300 (heated seats & smart key system). I received the graduate rebate as well. I think I could have gotten another 100. Oh well, it was a painless transaction. Out the door within 2 hrs.

Good deal?

Thanks
  • Options
    skpdskpd Member Posts: 2
    So this is the deal they have agreed to:

2009 Camry LE, V6
    Alloy Wheels
    Sunroof
    0% apr for 36 months

OTD Price: $25,431

watcha think?
  • Options
    bmloveyoubmloveyou Member Posts: 1
    hey penyrilehunter, would you share the name of the dealer (and the sale guy name) you bought the Camry. Plus, did you do low finance (1.9%-3.9%) with that price? . I am in KY area looking Toyota deals in elsewhere in Nashville TN too.
    Thanks.