Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Sports Wagons - The wave of the future?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Right - there is active safety (collision avoidance) and then passive safety (energy absorption).

Any how, for the most part newer unibody SUVs generally score better at passive safety than frame-based SUVs, so there's no reason to expect sport wagons won't do well at both, which is what makes an all-around safe car.

-juice
  • mstsscmstssc Posts: 89
    Whos comparing F1 safety with todays passenger car? I even said in the post I wasn't comparing. The point I was trying to make is that the car design these days is based on protecting the passengers from harm with design and not mass like in the past.

Therefore it is not always as simple as saying a bigger heavier vehicle is safer for the occupants than a smaller lighter vehicle.

Yes I agree that safety comes at a cost and all the money in the world won't reduce risk to zero.

BTW, some manufacturers are experimenting with 5 point harnesses. I think Saab is.
  • mstsscmstssc Posts: 89
    Still off topic a bit, but I looked it up. Saab is experimenting with a 4 point belt harness, not 5.
  • jscatenajscatena Posts: 61
    I have been considering a new Audi A6 4.2 but yesterday I drove the Audi S6 Avant wagon and I'm still walking around with a glazed-over look in my eyes. I've been fortunate to have owned some very nice autos. I currently have a 1999 Miata a 2000 Infiniti QX4 and a 2001 Maxima. This S6 Avant was the finest car I havbe ever driven. 340HP!, the famous Quatro system, ESP, NAV, luxurious interior, fat tires, sits low, rumbling V-8. Only 100 per month sent into the states. if you can find one, drive it!

Jim
    [email protected]
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,751
    Did you drive it home and kick your other cars to the curb?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,297

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• loujoloujo Posts: 12
    I just bought a BMW 323i Touring, best automobile I have owned so far, handles better than my wife's Audi A4 2.8Q. Don't see any point to buy a SUV.
  • mauislickmauislick Posts: 107
    wagons rock.....practicality and invisible to the police.......the audi 's' series are beautful sleepers and rockets to boot..............

finally people are waking up to the beauty of the new millinium vehichle
    I'm waiting to see the 2004 Forester turbo, and then will likely choose between that and a WRX wagon. Wife just got a Legacy wagon.

Once you've owned one it's hard to imagine going back to sedans.

-juice
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Posts: 188
    I think there's a mis-conception out there that think station wagon are slow. I only have my A6 Avant under 2 weeks. But it seems every mini-van and sub-compact on the road is trying to pass me Thinking they are faster than me? 8)
    I think of wagons as sedans with a back-pack.

-juice
  • porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    I've talked to a gentleman on another thread who has a S6 Avant. I bet that not too many people can pass him. Your cars are awesome, like a wolf in sheeps' clothing. Nice analogy juice.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • rickpctrickpct Posts: 71
    Have owned a Saab 9-5 for about one year now..best overall wagon in my mind, more cargo room than the V70 and A6, more passenger room than the Passat (although the Passat is not in same leauge as the saab/volvo/audi).

Plenty of room for family, it's fast, and fun to drive...

better yet..zero problems...not like the audi/volvo which have lots of electical gremlins...at least that's what i've heard...
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    No electrical gremlins here, after 20,000 miles! Just got back from a 400 mile fishing/offroading trip "up north" - the car towed beautifully, plus up to 8.2 inch ground clearance when the suspension is raised over the rough stuff. This is one versatile (and fast) vehicle!
    nearly 82k on my A4 Avant except a cooling fan motor that failed @77k (there's a backup fan).

No mechanical gremmies either except a bad suspension bushing replaced under warranty.

This '98 car still looks and runs like new.

9-5 wagons are nice. My college buddy is dying to get one for his wife, but she won't bite on the idea of a wagon. Shame.

Audi's Avants are among the most handsome wagons on the market. Actually make that vehicles, period.

-juice
  • I just stumbled on this discussion and read the whole thing. Is everyone back from their summer vacations now? ;^) I hope so.

I agree with you Juice. The A4 Avant (and the S4 Avant) is one beautiful car.

As you can see I've been looking at the WRX, the wagon in particular (for all the reasons people have said they like wagons in this discussion). I've always liked wagons. Used to pine over the '91 Accord wagon, not sure why just liked the way it looked I guess. My first car was an '81 Civic wagon I bought with 190K on it. OK, I admit it was a total beater, but it served me well just out of H.S. and into College. You should have seen it all loaded down with skiis bikes and stuff as I drove it from home to college! LOL!

Now I'm finally in a position to purchase a new one for myself and I'm having a hell of a time deciding. Then again I haven't done much test driving. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to wait a few months to check out some of the more attractive choices like the Mazda 6 and the Volvo V70R i've seen here on Edmunds in the Future sections.

Anyone out there?

-Ian
    I'm still here, it has been quiet though!

Did you see the WRX face-lift? Looks much better. I'm sure lots of people that held out due to styling might jump in now.

You can see the rally prototype at swrt.com.

-juice
  • Hi there. I'm finally buying a new car after 10 years in a Nissan Sentra. Not totally ready to give up a small manual car but it's time to go the wagon route with a spoiled dog and a baby on the way. I've narrowed it down to either the A6 or Volvo wagon. Any input would be greatly appreciated - I loved the bells and whistles nad the 4 years maintenance on the Audi but is it really worth the extra $$.
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Posts: 158
    Honestly, the bug-eyes are growing on me, but since I have to wait until late winter/early spring anyway (wedding first, then new car) I was hoping they'd bring over the new look sooner. I like it, looks very sharp! I don't think I can wait until '04 for the new look as the wait until Jan/Feb is already testing my resolve.

I can see why some folks are saying the new look just makes it look like another car from Asia. I do think it will attract far more people who may have been turned off by the styling (is that a good thing?).

-Ian
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    You should also try asking (copy/paste) your question in our Help me Select A Wagon discussion. Good luck with your decision.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • IMO, two very nice choices. They both have their plusses and minuses and drive and ride slightly different from one another. I would take them both for a test drive and go with the one that you like better based on that. I feel that I should let you know that both of these cars will probably (not necessarily) spend more time in the shop than your Nissan did. You may also want to check out the Subaru Outback with the 6 cylinder engine. It is reliable, AWD, comfortable and several thousand dollars less than the Volvo and Audi.

FWIW, I like the Audi better than the Volvo, however I don't have to write a check for it every month. :)

Let us know what you decide and good luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Ian: I agree. I like it better, but it's far less distinctive. The bug eyes will have a cult following, watch. In fact, the people that don't like the new look are mostly current owners.

A6 or V70? Hmm. Audi knows AWD. Volvo is new to it (sort of). You get a V6 vs. a pumped up 5. And the styling is gorgeous.

Then again, Volvo has the "safe" image and noone will think you're a snob for buying one. They're roomy and those built-in boosters are very cool. I can see going either way.

Do peek at the H6 Outback. You can get an LL Bean for a little over $26k, and that's loaded up. The VDC is just under $28k. They just came out with an all-champagne monotone color for the H6 models, if you don't like the two-tone look.

-juice
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Posts: 158
    LOL! I think you're right about there being a bug-eye cult. Maybe all the current owners could start wearing those huge Bono shades to match their cars. ;^)

-Ian
  • thanks for all the ideas - i've gotten so obsessed with my decision i stop people on the street who are getting out of volvo and audi wagons. so far no restraining orders.

i'm a little nervous that i just spent 5 days in tahoe and didn't see a single audi and every car that wasn't a suv or truck had the volvo tag.

still thinking....
    Here is another idea - have you considered European delivery? Check out Volvo's web site, prices are right there. You can save a bundle - enough to vacation for free, and drive your car in Europe while you're at it.

A friend of mine researched this option and shared some info with me. The pricing was very favorable.

-juice
    about the new wave of sport wagons. I feel that they may be exaggerating the extent to which people are turning to them instead of SUVs but still there's something happening. www.nytimes.com (registration required but available @ no charge), click on automobiles and you'll find it.

• immovableimmovable Posts: 14
    I love wagons - my first car was an 84 Toyota Tercel wagon. It ran forever, got great gas mileage, could carry tons of stuff. Now, I own a 96 Accord wagon. Love it, too. It does just about anything I ask of it. I think it has only about 7 or 8 more years left in it though... :)

Right now, I'm really excited about the Ford Freestyle FX. I wish Ford would build it with the trick roof. V6 power, fat tires, all-wheel drive - it looks like it could be a really fun sedan. Go into wagon mode, and you can either haul 8x4 sheets of anything, or have 3 row seating for your passengers!

I think Ford needs to look at the success of the Chevy Avalanche. It's selling very well because it has something distinct about it - the flexibility the midgate offers. Ford should keep the trick roof (assuming it actually works and is water-tight) because it sets it apart from all the other wagons out there. Without it, I might as well consider the Audi Allroad, the Chrysler Pacifica, etc., too.

Ford - if you're listening - if you build the Freestyle FX, it will sell!
  • I just bought an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro sedan, but I can attest to both the popularity and performance of the "sport wagons", at least in my neck of the woods.

Here in Colorado, the mini-utes are becoming increasingly more common on the road. In a state with a pretty substantial amount of yearly snowfall, people here have been buying Subaru Forrester's and Outbacks for a long time. I have several friends who bought those very cars and LOVE them. Denver is definitely a commuter's town and the traffic here is horrendous, but given the amount of inclement weather we get, and people's enthusiasm for skiing and the like, lots of folks see the sport wagons-- especially ones with AWD like the subies --as a preferable alternative to the big clunky, gas guzzling SUVs.

I used to drive a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo, which is one of the smaller SUVs out there, and a week before I traded it in, I was positively humiliated off the line by an A4 1.8T Avant. I was trying to make some bonehead, overly aggressive merge into traffic, and this punk kid in a *wagon* proceeded to summarily kick my butt. My stupid male ego was of course totally indignant... I mean, how could it be? A teenager, out in his Mom's grocery-grabbin' soccer mobile with a tiny engine just completely waxed my precious V-6?
    Wha-huh?!?!? Now, The Isuzu has never been lauded as a "performance machine", but it's engine is honestly decidedly too big for it's frame, and so I was flabbergasted that a car that I thought was grossly underpowered was flat out dusting me.
    I figured, "wagons are slow, right? People named Ethel drive them to bingo games and AARP meetings, right?" Apparently not... because I encountered similar pastings from Jetta wagons and later the Subie WRX wagons. Now, I could understand getting whipped by the WRX... putting that drive-train in a wagon is nothing more than a ploy to keep your insurance company from gouging you for having a sports car, am I wrong? Honestly, that kind of subterfuge just isn't fair. =) I hate to admit it, but I was thoroughly fooled by the station wagon stigma. I was genuinely surprised at how well most of these wagons did, in terms of speed. I never doubted a wagon's utility before, but up until recently, I almost always dismissed them as being gutless, homogenized, ungainly things reserved for PTA Moms and guys in flared, plaid pants.

Not so.

Apart from the IS300 "Sport-Cross" or whatever they're labeling that insipid, glorified Toyota boy-racer debacle... I have to say I'm impressed with the lot of wagons that's been coming out.
    Did I not have such an irrational, childish aversion to them and the damage they might inflict on my shameless Peter Pan complex, I'd seriously consider buying one...

In the meantime, I'll be here with my pride... trying to sort out how the Hell I'm going to cram my full-size upright bass into the trunk of my A4 Sedan... and two electrics... and two speaker cabinets... and an amp head... and a rubbermaid box full of pedals... and giutar stands... and....
    well, *me*.

Crap.
    Time for a roof rack. =)

Damn my Audi and it's diminuatively elegant lines!
    Curse it and it's sporty charisma! Grrr....

Maybe my sister will let me borrow the Isuzu I sold her.... =)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    Can't believe you didn't buy the wagon if you need its utility. I think the wagon looks better, and why be concerned about what others think anyway.
This discussion has been closed.