Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Sports Wagons - The wave of the future?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think the A4 Avant is very handsome. In fact to me it looks better than the sedan. Just one opinion.

-juice
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Posts: 158
    Sounds to me like your salesman didn't do his job. Aren't they supposed to ask you about what you like to do when you're not working (i.e. hobbies)? All he did was take your order. I'd report him to the BBB. ;^)

-Ian
  • I thought about getting the wagon, but utimately my decision came down to percentages; i.e., how often would I need to lug around my musical gear, versus how often would I be in the car commuting between clients, going out, just driving around, etc. In years past, I was a pretty serious musician, gigging almost 3 nights a week, every week, which is why I had the SUV. But now that I'm a little older and have scaled back on playing music in favor of -- gasp! -- a "real" job (web development), I decided I wanted something a little smaller and a little sportier. I think the wagons are great too, but as of now, I have no wife or kids, so passenger concerns didn't rank very high up there either. Also, I live downtown and there was just something enormously appealing about being able to zip in and out of parking spots and things like that.

I think I just wanted something different. I had owned my Rodeo for 5 years and I felt like it was time for something that was a radical departure. Rational or not, to me, the wagon just seemed too similar to an SUV. Plus, for whatever reason, I just like the visual character of the sedan a bit more. It's more emotive than anything. I admit it's not the most pragmatic choice, but it's the one that made me happy, so "oh, well", right? I suppose there's always that "X" factor or personal preferences and idiosyncracies that comes in to play when buying anything. The practical side of me knew the wagon was the way to go, and the purely emotional, esthetic and eternally bachelor-minded part of me wanted to get something like an M3 coupe, or the TT, so I ended up splitting the difference, I guess.

But now that the deal's been made and I'm actually in the driver's seat of the A4, I can honestly say that every minute I've spent in it has been an absolute joy... and I suppose that's what matters most. To me, it's worth it to spend the extra ten minutes hazarding some creative geometry to get my amp in the back seat.

And when I was test-driving, I actually brought along a tape measurer, just to be sure, so I guess I wasn't entirely impractical.

Now... if I can just work on this weird impulse to fervently over-jusitfy my decisions to strangers, I'll be in good shape. =)

Oh-- my sales guy was pretty funny... he swore up and down that the absolute end-all-be-all, penultimate selling point of the enitre Audi line was the "visor-ette", the little mini visor that comes down above the rear-view mirror. According to him, the "visor-ette" was the root of all the car's power and sex appeal. I quote him, "Chicks dig the 'visor-ette'. They love it. ".

I had a date last weekend, and tried repeatedly to tap this shadowy, inexplicable hypnotic force.
    Several times on the way to dinner I calculatedly waggled the "visor-ette", slowy and deliberately pointing out its location above the mirror in hopes of brandishing its secretive, unlettered powers. But try as I may, I cannot of yet attest to the mighty "visor-ettes" magnetic sway on the fairer, gentler, Fallopian ilk. Alas, my efforts with this magical piece of plastic yielded no fruits. So, despite what my car-dealer said, I have found no evidence to support his nebulous theory that "chicks dig the 'visor-ette'."

That Charalatan.
    Big fat liar.
    I want my money back. =)
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Lol, you're too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

So has anyone here determined whether sports wagons are the wave of the future? Imo, seems to be the current trend. Talk later. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    So, it's a total babe-magnet? Do they come aftermarket? ;-)

-juice
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,751
    there might be a slow rising water level but not a wave. People that are interested in the utility of a wagon aren't fooled by the marketing tool of calling them a "Sport" wagon. It isn't how one runs against a SUV but rather how it runs against a Sports Sedan. So what it will all come down to is how many people have a need for a bit more room over a bit less sport? I can't see the BMW 3 series buyer deserting in any wholesale lots from their sedans. If we call crossovers wagons then they may have a much brighter future. The real question is are Crossovers sporty compared to a sport sedan or a sports coupe? It is doubtful if the above aggressive merge maneuver had been duplicated between a sports sedan and sports wagon that the result would be the same.

There is every reason to believe wagons will enjoy a degree of success but a wave may just be a bit of a stretch.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    With a nice price and a boat load of performance, it'll make some waves.

When they build it, it will sell.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Posts: 113
    I'm sure there are 'purists' out there who think that if a vehicle is called a sports wagon it should be comparable to a performance or sports car. I beg to differ.

I'm a mom who doesn't need to accelerate to 60 mph at the drop of a hat. I don't need to 'race' to the grocery store. I'm not looking to beat out the car next to me at the light.

I think that's why the Pacifica fits me to a tee. Its got all the utility of my previous wagon but is WAY more sporty and fun to drive than my old Volvo. The handling is just sporty enough to make me feel like 'the cool Mom'.

For me, and I'm sure for others, its not just about what's under the hood.
    Mazda has been slow, slow in getting those models out. I saw then at the NY Auto Show, LAST YEAR, April 2002! Where are they? I mean, c'mon!

They are lookers, the hatch and the wagon. Cool how the rear seats spring forward and down at the press of a button, too. But get them into dealers, already!

I feel mixed about the Pacifica. Dunno, I'm undecided. I have to drive one to see.

-juice
    January juice.

The 6 wagon won't compare with the Chrysler Pacifica. The Pacifica is a minivan with hinged doors. The Mazda6 wagon is a sport wagon. Hard lines and great handling.

I can't imagine people cross shopping the two.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I don't agree that a Pacifica is a minivan with hinged doors. It is a minivan with hinged doors, cramped third row seat, and negligible luggage space behind the third row seat.
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    Let's keep it in perspective here. A Pacifica is not a minivan. It does not claim to be a minivan. What it is is the best combination of features from a minivan, station wagon and SUV all rolled into one nice tight package with Mercedes E-class suspension and very nice upgraded interior components.

If you want a vehicle to constantly use the 3rd row seats to haul a bunch of kids to soccer, or if you are a family with many kids, then maybe a minivan with floaty boat handling and the stigma that goes with it is for you. If on the other hand you want a vehicle with style, great handling & innovative features that can also haul 6 people in comfort then maybe you should look at the Pacifica.

If you are shopping for a minivan, then you are in the wrong forum.

Have you even driven a Pacifica yet?
    From what I read it's a different platform and shares basically nothing with the vans, including the powertrain. Doesn't it get some Mercedes parts? (E-class, thank you.) I think it has more in common with a Benz than the vans, FWIW.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the two would be cross-shopped. They were just the two topics being discusses when I posted.

-juice
    Just because the Pacifica doesn't share a van's platform doesn't mean it's not a van.

Everything about it screams minivan.

What SUV qualities does it have? Other than size, (something it also shares with minivans) nothing. The Pacifica's proportions, ground clearance and family hauling abilities place it amongst minivans. Floaty boat handling is your perception of the minivan, obviously it's not a pre-req for being a minivan any more than sliding doors are.

The Mazda MPV isn't floaty boat, but it's a minivan.

The Pacifica is not a sport wagon.
    I think you could call it a wagon, yes, but not a van. No sliding doors, which are the calling card of van-dom.

"Sport" wagon may be a bit optimistic, but again I'll reserve judgement until I drive one.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    To me the Pacifica just looks like a large station wagon - no matter what Chrysler calls it. I don't mean that in a bad way either as I like station wagons (just not the Pacifica because it is too small to replace our minivan - Ironic since it weighs 1,300 lbs more, and too large, and heavy to be a nice nimble wagon) I am sure there are others who will find it fits their needs though.
    Wide and tall wagon, yeah.

-juice
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Posts: 252
    Sport Wagons are basically the new name for Station Wagons. There are some true sporty ones out there though. Pacifica is just not one of them. It's nice though, I like the way it looks on the road.

Like everything else Sport Wagons are getting bigger. The Pacifica, the new Dodge Hemi Wagon, Audi is making a wagon to compete with the E-Class MB. Luckily they are also getting sportier in handling with AWD.

The true Sport Wagons are those based on sedans, and have at least a chance of running with sport sedans. For example Audi's A4/S4/S6 Avant; BMW 325/525/540 Wagons; Lexus IS300 Wagon; MB C240/320 E320 Wagons; Saab Aero Wagon; Subaru WRX / Legacy GT Wagons; Volvo S40/V70 R Wagons.

My favorites are the S4/S6 until the new STi Legacy comes out or the AWD 9-5 Aero : ). These will rock.
    No sliding doors, which are the calling card of van-dom.

Not of the early MPV and Odyessy. Or most current full size vans. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it has almost all of the characteristics of a minivan. Just because people want to be cool doesn't mean it's not a minivan.

How about this, if it had sliding doors, would it be a minivan?

BTW, I LOVE wagons. they are so darn practical.
    The early MPV and Odyssey failed miserably for that exact reason, i.e. they didn't have the right ingredients to become mainstream, popular minivans.

Yet they were not sporty, so you could not call them sport wagons either. They were in no-man's land.

A Honda flop, what a rarity.

If Pacifica had sliding doors? Good question, that gets tough to draw the line. I'd lean towards calling it a minivan, maybe. But I might change my mind if a test drive impressed me.

BTW, I have a Ford Windstar service loaner right now, and I seriously doubt the Pacifica handles this badly.

I don't consider the Expo LRV a minivan, it was an early crossover that came before there was a name for that class.

Also, look at the PT Cruiser. I consider that a wagon, but the feds call it a minivan just because the seats come out.

Hey, do the Pacifica's middle seats come out? If so, add sliding doors and yes, it's a van. If not, wagon. Sound fair?

This game of categorizing is getting tough! :-)

-juice
    In any van I've seen/been a passenger in the second row is either a bench for two with a clear space to the side for third row passengers to enter/exit, or the second row is two 'captains' chairs with a space in between for the third row passengers to pass.

The Pacifica had a console in between the second row seats...no space for passengers to walk crouched to the third row. Second row seats tumble forward for third row access...never saw a minivan do that.

No way is it a van. Not even close.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    Uh Uh Uh - sounds like someone is trying to avoid mommy-mobile syndrome!! :-)

It's your car - call it what you want.

IMHO, it ain't no sport wagon. NOPE NOPE NOPE. In my eyes, it's a crossover.
    You make me chuckle!

Yes, I am absolutely one of those ABAM's (Anything But A Minivan)and proud of it! I've always hated the idea of driving a box on wheels. Of course, that could have been said about me driving a Volvo wagon for almost 14 years too...but back when I bought it if you were going to drive a wagon, make it a Volvo.

I bear no ill will to those who love their vans. Everyone in my family has either owned one (my sister, who traded hers for a Mustang convertible once her kids grew up) or owns one now (brother and parents both own Honda Odysseys), and I'll gladly be a passenger in one. Just don't ask me to drive one.
    LOL - My DW and I said we'd never get a minivan. Now we have the Ody and love it!!

Now I'm shopping for a real sport wagon to supplement it.
    We just had a mininvan loaner, and my wife and I both had to admit it was nice to have that kind of space. The catch is neither of us is willing to make it our primary car.

Our 3rd car is a Miata, so it would have to be a fourth vehicle, which is getting ridiculous.

-juice
    I've told you before - get rid of the Miata and you'll be able to join us minivanners.

The space really is nice.
    I have more head room! :o)

-juice
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,365
    This is a true sports wagon. 450 hp twin turbo V8, it can carry a lot of stuff, less domesticated than the Pacifica. Emphasis on sports for the Audi, but pacifica is more of a value and little less prestige.
    I'd love one, but why no manual tranny? That's a sin. The S4 and S6 come in manuals.

-juice
    I saw a Dodge Magnum on the road last week in camoflage. It looked mean and powerful. Not too sporty though like handling would be cumbersome. Actually, it looked just how the SUV crowd would want it to look, IMO intimidating.

http://www.almiller.com/dm34.jpg
This discussion has been closed.