Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid

Comments

• larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I have been using the 15,000 mile rated 5w-30 since the 0w-20 went off the shelves.

There has been no difference noticed in mileage, or oil usage, or oil burn.

If the rumours are true that Mobil is coming back with the 0w-20, then I will go back to that oil, just because it's a little thinner.
  • pojamanpojaman Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the info.I live in the Northeast where the temperature can sometimes go below zero,and I'm wondering if the 5/30 w may not be the right oil at these temparature,so like you I'm hoping for Mobil to come out with the proper one.Pennzoil did produce the 0W 20 but when I checked the website it's no longer available.
    http://www.pennzoil.com/products/motor_oil/platinum.html#hybrid
  • kentmoonkentmoon Member Posts: 44
    I want to share buying experience and driving experience with other users.
    Just purchased for MSRP a white hybrid. I know some dealers are charge 3K over sticker. I drove home for about 60mi, and I've got about 45-50mpg with no air and mostly freeway driving at about 75-80mph. So far so good in terms of mileage. Car seem to be pretty quite and handles well at freeway speed with adaqute power. A little more comfortable than Pontiac GTO that I have been driving, but not as smooth as wife's Honda Odyssey. Nice instrument panel and quality. My wife can't believe it is "just" a civic.

My main reason is to access HOV lane in CA. Does anyone know how long it will take to get decal?
  • ahujasuahujasu Member Posts: 15
    Kentmoon:

Congrats on the HCH 2006. Sounds like you drove a distance to get it for msrp. I also drove 35 miles to find a dealer willing to sell for msrp. I should get mine in late January. Do you have any idea what the 0 to 60 time is for the 2006 hybrid.( I know its not a sports car but, I wanted to see how it compared to the 2005 which is somewhere in the 12 second range and the Prius which is 10.4 seconds.)

For your HOV stickers make sure you don't need the fast track transponder otherwise they'll return your application if you don't have proof that you have it.
  • motherwearymotherweary Member Posts: 38
    It's not that simple. Neither the application nor the website mentions that if you live in the Bay Area counties, you not only need a transponder, you need a specific transponder for hybrids.

I have had an HCH since 10/03 and a transponder since 2001, and sent in my HOV sticker application in August. They apparently cashed my check and threw my application in some DMV-maintained black hole, because I never heard anything from them. When I found out about this specific-transponder business, I called FasTrak and got one, but still heard nothing. The Air Resources Board keeps track of such problems and has been trying for over a month to find out what happened to my application, but the DMV won't talk to them either, apparently.
  • ahujasuahujasu Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the additional info. I'll be sure to get the proper transponder when I apply for the sticker.
    The car seem to have enough power all occasions--start, freeway merging ... etc. 2006 has extra horses than 2005, so my guess is about 10 second range for 0 to 60 mph. My other car is GTO with 350 horses, so it is kind of hard to compare.

I've driven over 200 miles so far in both freeway (70mph +) and local driving, and I am averaging 48mph which is very closed to claimed rating. It seems that I get better mileage on freeway at high speed than a local driving.

On CA HOV application, there is license plate box, and I left blank since I don't have one, yet. I hope that don't turn it down. Transponder is required only for certain counties, and I live in So Cal.
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    Any word on the GPS that will be available in the Civic Hybrid? Will it be the new 4th gen navigation that accepts voice command addresses - e.g. street name and address.
    GPS for new civic 2006 accepts voice command.
  • drew10drew10 Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone had any experience with dealer pricing in the Boston, MA area for the '06 Civic hybrid? Any comments would be appreciated as to what I might expect. Thanks.
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    All the ones they've built in the last 2 years accept voice command but only some have the new 4th generation GPS that accept voice command for street addresses. Does anyone know if the new Civic hybrid GPS unit accepts street names and numbers via voice command. I'm not referring to adding a personal address. I'm referring to a brand new location given via voice by street address.
    Would you say that MSRP is the best price I could expect to get on '06 Civic hybrid in the Boston area (or any area for that matter) ?
    in other locations....not sure how the Boston area is doing...
  • miniokminiok Member Posts: 14
    You can get a 2006 HCH in Oklahoma for $1499 below MSRP
    OK, I just got a email from a Honda dealer in the Boston area giving me a price of $22,285 for an '06 Civic hybrid w/nav. This would be $1615 below MSRP (23,900). Being the cynic that I am I guess this is just a ploy to get me to go there and then they will tell me that this was some kind of mistake. I can't wait to see what happens with this.
    say wha?
    Well I called the dealer, and they said that the price they gave me was CORRECT. I certainly won't argue with them. I'm wondering how that is possible????
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That puts the 2006 Civic right up there with cars like the Vega & Citation. I have not seen one in person. The pictures may not do it justice. COTY is not always an indicator of how well it will do in the marketplace. There have been a lot of COTY bombs. It has been a while since the Civic beat out the Corolla, maybe this is the year to regain the title.
    There have been FAR MORE COTY winners which were actually excellent cars than there have been lemons. The criteria is no accident - they have evolved their tests and requirements over the years, so the criteria is different than it was in the old days. Here are some of the other cars considered:

"Motor Trend" picked its Car of the Year from a field of 28 new models, including the Audi A-3, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac DTS and Chevrolet HHR.

Others included the Dodge Charger, Ford Fusion, Mercedes-Benz R-Class, Pontiac Solstice, Toyota Avalon, and the Volkswagen Jetta and Passat."
    That is probably till the end of the year. After 1/1/06 there will be a mad rush for the hybrids and you may not get that price. They want to push tin before the end of the year.
    It's possible because you have a dealer who is not gouging people, and who is not taking advantage of a car's popularity.

All those Toyota dealers who refuse to lower the Prius from MSRP are just robbing people.

I suggest you go buy that car TODAY before he changes his price. :shades:
    I agree, I was just pulling your chain. I always remember the Mercury Couger. It was the COTY and I liked the looks of it. People bought them and could not get rid of them. The resale was horrible for some reason. For years people would say the COTY is a jinx on a new car. That always stuck with me.
    OK Gary, here's a 2006 Civic review which mentions "superior handling" so you can give the new Civic a little more respect in that regard:

One might, as well, say the same about the signature thrill of driving this new Honda powertrain. Even with the decidedly less zippy (but more fuel efficient) automatic transmission, the new Civic motor is a masterpiece. Its responsiveness is immediate, and its ability (thanks largely to iVTEC) to match powerband to gearing means that the car is continually “tuned” to changing road conditions.

This “tuning” effect is best in evidence with regard to handling. Four-wheel independent suspension combines with a very trim curb weight of 2,767 pounds to produce quick and light reflexes. Steering feel is fast and precise; indeed so effortless and quick is the Civic Coupe’s “turn-in” feel when entering a tight corner that a driver can initially be disconcerted by it. Other vehicles’ steering capabilities are moribund by comparison; accordingly, one is likely to be startled by this Civic’s.

From this page:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/What_Im_Driving_at/2005/11/24/Civic_Duty/ind- ex.shtml
  • runman27runman27 Member Posts: 7
    To anyone with an 06 or 05 civic hybrid:

I have serious trip computer software problem. I have an 06 civic hybrid, just a week old, and when I drive it the average mpg calculates correctly when I fill up from 0 miles. When I reach 60 miles into the trip (trip A or B), the average fluctuates by 7-8 mpg in a matter of 30-40 seconds, the rate of change of mpg is dramatic after i travel 60 miles or more in my, the error is eliminated once i reset the trip for both a or b, and then calculates correctly up to 60 miles, and malfunctions again. For instance, I knew in a trip above sixty miles, I was averaging 51, the computer reset it to 45 in matter of seconds, so strange and dealers dont want to help me. Has anyone had a problem similar to mine, or would know what the solution is?

thanks
    a-
    I had exactly same problem happened today. I was doing about 48mpg, and all of sudden it went to 60mpg (I was on a downhill.). Come to think of it, I had about 60 miles on it. I am guessing that mpg calculation is resetting it. My Trip B was going up and down, and I had over 300 miles on it. I hope that Honda will come up with a fix soon.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We try to discourage members posting personal contact information as this is a public forum and not immune to bots that troll through looking for email addresses, phone numbers, etc. As only forum members can access other member profiles, you can make your email address public and then reference members to check your profile for your address.

I'll take down the posts with personal info to hopefully help you avoid any spam or unwanted phone calls that may come your way.
    Runman,

Let me know if you need help to convince your dealer about trip computer. I posted my email, but it was deleted by Ms. Host. Somehow, we will hook up if necessary.

Did you apply for CA HOV access decal? I sent the application, but I didn't have license plate number. I am not sure if I can apply without it.
    This was a scam. From my own personal experience I know this to be true. Clair Honda in the Boston area will sell you a '06 Civic hybrid for $1600 below MSRP ONLY if you let them steal your trade-in for a ridiculously low price i.e. many thousands of dollars below a fair trade-in value. If you don't let them do this they will tell you that MAYBE they can get you a car to purchase in a FEW MONTHS but they can't make any promises. They will purposely make the time table for getting your car so unreasonable and vague that you will walk out. Then they can try their scam on the next person. I walked out and then wrote a letter to the general manager about this scam. I dont really expect to get an answer.
    I dont know if you've had this resolved, but here's your completely correct 100% true answer:

There is nothing wrong with the car. That fluctuation is completely normal.

I own a 2004 HCH and that's just how the computer calculates MPG. As you get further into the tank, the recalcs slow down.

Nothing to worry about, nothing to fix - don't waste any more of your dealer's time.
    I had a 2003 civic hybrid, and this flucuation did not occur as compared to my 06, I agree there will be siginficant flucation in the first 25 miles, depending on driving, this flucuation did not occur in my previous model for longer miles in a triip, especially driving more than 60 miles, thats when my problem occurs. Its mathematics, the rate of change is less when adding more and more miles to a trip. in this case both kent moon and i are having the exact same problem, of rapid avempg fluct above 60 miles. I have only 600 miles on my car, and its covered under warranty, I feel my time will be wasted if the problem is not resolved :confuse: .
    Hello Kent:

I am not sure if you are a member, I am not even sure if I am a forum member to exchange e-mail addresses. Now I dont know how to get a hold of you. If you know how to confirm the forum can you add your e-mail address and reference me to it?

I was wondering did you take you car to the dealer yet? I took mine to fladeboe honda in lake forest. I was thinking if you were interested we could both of our cars at the same time to whatever dealer is most convenient for you, and discuss the exact same problem with them, I take it yours is new also? You should be okay on the HOV stickers on the application-just put "new", I have not sent mine yet but will next week.

I will scrap going back to the lake forest one, if you have a dealer that you will be taking your car to. If you want just tell me dealer name,and when you will want to take it, we can talk about when its most convenient for you. Whatever your comfortable with.

Thanks,
    runman
    This is not an issue which has been recognized as a problem, at least not reported as such by the several owners of 06 HCHs that I am in contact with. One owner is up to 1500 miles now and has not reported this issue as being unusual.

Personally, what I think is happening is that the MPG calculations software for the 2006 was IMPROVED and now it's simply making correction calculations later into the tank than it was in the previous generation HCH.

My money is on the fact that your car is 100% normal and has no problem. :D

I'm sure you'll let us know, but I bet there is no problem whatsoever.....
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    runman, since you are posting here, you ARE a member :D And by setting your email address to "public" in your profile (which you have done) other registered forums members (and ONLY registered members) can click on your username and find that address.
    There is DEFINATELY a problem with the trip computer.

This is not normal.

I will let you know once it is fixed, but I am not sure if it is a big enough issue to take the car to a dealer. I may just wait until the first oil change or bigger issue surfaces.
    My contention until proven otherwise is that the computer is acting normally for the 06 model. I think with the new generation HCH they just re-calibrated the calculations so that they took place more frequently "longer into a tank" than the previous models, instead of how the 03-05 models did it, which was to "calm down" a bit.
    Kent:

My e-mail address can be found if you click on my username, can you send me a quick e-mail please and then I can respond. I guess I will take my car back to the other dealer and hopefully I can give them your name to match the problem. I could not get yours from the profile.

Thanks
    runman
    Runman, I've already send an email to you.
    Kent, it may have ended up in my bulk folder and deleted by mistake, can you send me another short one please.

Thanks
    A-
    sent another email with my contact info.
  • lil_guard_doglil_guard_dog Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I just spent the last week and a half reading all the posts about the civic hybrid, as I just found out that one existed only about 2 weeks ago when I stopped in at a local honda dealer to see if the insight was still available!

Seems kinda funny that with me keeping the insight in mind as a hybrid, you'd think that I'd keep my eyes and ears open about any others!!

I've recently been being bugged by just about everyone I know to replace my current car (a 1989 Nissan Micra) with something "better"

Well...the only car I'd even start considering is anything that is fairly guarenteed to get better than my current 38.77 MPG!! :surprise:

Since I can't seem to really find any "conventional" car that WILL do this...or even state that it "Could" (as per epa f-econ ratings) I'm thinking hybrid would be the way to go.

I don't know about in your areas...but prisus (sp?) are bloody expensive 'round here....one lady at work said that one of her daughters or something like that just got one...full load...at approx $75,000!!!

I'm thinking that there's something wrong with that quote...but still...I don't like the looks of the prius...so...that leaves well...the insight...civic...or...accord?...

I like little cars...but I do have the need of a car seat..as I have a 2 year old on the weekends... (MY son...but we split..so...big story...nevermind)

Any suggestions/info would be helpful

P.S. I read recently a few posts back that the 06 Civic SI is only 160 hp?? :confuse: I double checked my brocure that I had sitting at work (it kinda got left there over the weekend DOH!!) and mine states almost 200hp!! I'll bring it home tomorrow night to verify. I know the states and up here in canada normally get slightly different lineups...but there's no 160 at all in my lineups...
    just the 110 hybrid...
    everything else but the si is 140...and the si is like 195 or 198!

I thought it was us in the cold north that didn't get the big powerful cars normally?
    and I've about 45.7 mpg (10.5 gallon on 480 miles). Not bad considering, I live in busy and hilly areas where I have to press gas pretty aggresively at times. Trip computer is malfunctioning, so I will have to rely on manual calc for now.
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    As far as I know they have not tested the Civic Hybrid yet, I doubt they will since they won't see that many compared to the regular Civic.

One thing to watch out for is the Poor rear impact rating that almost every Honda received from the Insurance Institute. The 05 Civic got the lowest rating and so did the 2006 Accord.
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    what is malfunctioning on your trip computer?
    Both A & B Trip MPG is resetting itself around 63.5 miles. It works fine up to 63.5 mile, and it resets mpg calculation. Trip meter is fine, but mpg starts new after that point.

Another board member noticed the same problem, and he is trying to get it fixed by a dealer. I am waiting until there are more 06 drivers since car has been in the market less than 2 weeks.
  • davem7davem7 Member Posts: 35
    With nearly 4000 miles on my 06 HCH i've come to conclude that the tripmeter is erratic-often accurate but frequently inaccurate.

Case in point: On a recent 166 mile stretch I achieved a record 59mpg. I attribute this to the predominantly downhill route along with a strong tailwind. Yet the tripmeter showed 79mpg for most of the trip. My impression is that the tripmeter is especially prone to spike when descending hills. The real time mpg indicator seems to be generally accurate.

I'm trying to avoid becoming fixated with the tripmeter and i'm considering leaving the temperature display on instead. In the meantime i'll continue with the practice of capping the tank to the same precise level on each fill up as tedious and time consuming it may be.

The positives of the HCH far outweigh any trip meter inaccuracy.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Why don't you try this: for the next 5 full-ups, measure it both manually and with the trip computer. Then compare the average MPG over the 5 tankfulls - that should give you a pretty good idea how accurate (or inaccurate) it really is and will hopefully give you some peace of mind.
  • hchinsandiegohchinsandiego Member Posts: 6
    larsb, I don't think you understand what the problem is. Of my two tanks, the first one was 38 mpg over 388 miles and the second was 38.5 over 393 miles. But the trip computer displayed 35 mpg for the first and 42 mpg for the second. Why the big discrepancy? Well, 384 is a multiple of 64, which means the trip computer reset at around that point, so the figures it displayed were only over 4 or 9 miles and it totally ignored the previous 384. Do you see why this is bad? When the trip computer has 388 miles on it, it should display the average mileage throughout 388 miles, not 4.

It is a software bug and it should be fixed.