Options

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    hey guys,

thinking about leasing a g35 coupe when my accord goes back to honda in june. probably wouldn't go with anything more than just the premium package with automatic.

was wondering if you guys could give me a brief synopsis on how well you like your g35 coupe...and if you have a late model accord...how does it stack up to that? thansk...
  • Options
    rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    The cars are so different I wouldn't know how to compare them.

You might want to do some research and then decide what you want. One thing is for sure, the G35 Coupe is nothing like a Honda or Toyota sedan.

That's my opinion anyway,

Roll
  • Options
    i guess i should have been more specific...my accord is an ex v6 coupe...so there might be quite a few similarities...

i was just wondering if a few of you could give me an idea on your overall ownership experience?
  • Options
    wbr99wbr99 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2005 G35 Coupe 6MT. I know that the max Horsepower on that baby is 298 hp @ 6,400 rpm :D and the Torque is 260 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm.

If the car has 298 hp @ 6,400 rpm does it proportionately decline above and below 6400 rpm. Is there a way to calculate the amount of hp used at any other rpm.

Usually in 6th gear if i'm crusing at 81 mph i see that the engine is at 3000 rpm. Does that mean that I am using

(3000/6400) * 298 = 139 hp ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Was at the Dealership yesterday morning to pick up my wife's car and saw the transport truck sitting in the lot they use to store cars. Turned in and hopped out to look. Sure enough there was the new car, covered in plastic and still bearing the freight labels. Car came over from Japan on the "Galaxy Ace" acording to the shipping label. lol

Should be ready for pick up on Friday after the dealer adds the items I wanted. Wing, clear bra, sat radio and dark glass.

Roll
  • Options
    The moment we've all been wating for.

Congrats Roll. :)
  • Options
    polmcspolmcs Member Posts: 27
    The one thing that bugs me (well apart from the lack of memory seats) on the 2005 G35 model, is that when the CD player is in random mode, hitting the next button simply plays the next actual track and not the next random track. This really gets annoying when playing MP3 disks, because you get 'stuck' in a folder unless you let the current track finish and then it goes off and finds the next random track. Even if you are on the last track in a folder, hitting next returns you to the first track and not a random track, either in a different folder, or on a different disk. Can anyone with a 2006 model confirm if they modified this behaviour? I did write to Infiniti shortly after taking delivery of the car and they did agree that the 'next' behaviour was slightly odd.

Apart from those 2 small issues, I love that car!!! :D
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    The HP curve may be a linear function below the peak reading but typically it will not be a straight line passing through 0,0. So, there is not a way to calculate the HP (with any certainty) at any other RPM by only knowing the peak coordinates. Above the peak HP, the function often drops off sharply.

The HP needed to maintain any given speed is the sum of the forces acting against the vehicle. On a level road surface, the most significant forces are aerodynamic drag and the rolling resistance of the tires. This HP will be at the drive wheels, not the engine crankshaft.
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Congratulations, Roll!

Super fresh new car smell can go a fair way to erase frustrations of the past, I'm thinking. Provided of course one hasn't been asked to pay twice... ;)

So now, speak to me of rims. I assume you kept the rims from the red rocket. Those are black, n'est-ce pas? Ivory with black could be tasty, I'm thinking, but I'd have to see it. Is your interior charcoal, or whatever they call their dark leather?
  • Options
    murrowmurrow Member Posts: 72
    I don't use the MP3 function, so I've never noticed that quirk on my '05 coupe. But I definitely miss the memory seat that I had on my '03 Acura CL-S. I hate how getting into the back seat of the G35 requires 2 steps -- pulling the lever and pushing the button on the back of the seat. On the Acura, all I had to do was pull the lever and the seatback folded forward and then the cushion motored forward.

I also wish my satellite radio antenna was tiny like the '06 version.

Does anyone else get a "funky" smell from the A/C upon cold startup??? The dealer tells me this is a pretty universal problem. The service advisor suggested putting the A/C in "fresh" instead of "recirc" before parking the car a long time. Besides being annoying, I found this didn't work. He says the smell can also be resolved by changing the cabin filter, but since I've had this problem since about 2k miles (I have 6,900 now) I'm not sure I believe it, since the filter is supposed to be good for 15k, but I might try it, and take the chance that it'll happen again in a couple thousand miles.
  • Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    What I always do is turn off the a/c a mile or so from my destination with the vent on fresh. The smell is from mold in the duct work. This is caused from condensation (temp differential) when you turn the a/c off (ducts cold outside hot and muggy). like when you come out of the shower. My Volvo actually had a feature where the fan would continue to run for 1/2 hour after stopping.
  • Options
    I found that even playing normal music CDs on random, hitting next would only play the next track on the CD and not the next random track. If I'm playing all 6 disks on random, if a track finishes, the player will pick a track on any of the 6 CDs at random and play that. If I dont want to listen to the current playing track, hitting next should get me to the next random track on a random CD, but all I get is the next actual track on the same CD. As I said in my base post, if you are on the last track of a CD, hitting next random puts you back to the start of that CD. My other car is a Saab 9-5 and though it only has a single CD player, when on random, hitting next, actually does force the CD player to play a random track on that CD.

Speaking of the Saab, that leads nicely onto the A/C funky smell question. A few months after I got the car, I too started to notice a musty smell in the car first thing. I spoke to the dealer and they suggested switching the air from recirc to fresh as soon as possible (The default on the Saab upon startup is to recirc). The dealer also washed and disinfected the filter for me. That seemed to help with the smell. Now I just have to remember to hit the fresh air button about 5 minutes after starting the car
  • Options
    kennabt1kennabt1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a few questions that I was wondering I could submit to the forum.

Saleperson says the following is resolved in '06:

1) Paint chips (This doesn't really seem to be the case based on the posts in this forum)
    2) Excessive brake wear
    3) Tire wear

Anyone have opinions on this?

Questions:

1) Ipod Connector?
    2) MP3 playback?
    3) Bluetooth work with Treo650? (it's not listed, but dealer says it works)
    4) sluggish shifting (delay) with "steptronic mode"

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Thanks 'Bate.

Picked it up this afternoon actually and had it back within two hours. They popped an XM radio in rather than the Sirius I asked and paid for. No problem, they will switch it in the AM.

I got the Ivory over Wheat with Premium and Intelligent Key; clear bra, wing, dark tinted glass, sat radio.

On Tires and wheels.....no the black set went back to TireRack. No argument from them by the way. I got a set of SSR DSR's for the Ivory. If you have a TR catalogue (2006-1) you can find one on page 12 bottom with Dunlops fitted. Polished rim with a 5 spoke center in bronze. Much nicer looking in my garage than the magazine. Same size and brand tires. I thought the bronze was nice with the Ivory and Tan interior.

Also had the windows darkened on this one. Thought that a nice touch with the Ivory and wheat.

I'm surprised at the bells and whistles on the 06 that were not on the 05. Especially the bluetooth set up. Much nicer than the headset I was wearing. And the Coupe offers a phone book too!

Now the work; install the Valentine, move over all my junk I never use but have to have in the car, etc.

Roll
  • Options
    Polmcs,

I might not fully appreciate your problem or all you have done to correct it but I can say now I understand what you are talking about. After reading the manual tonight on the 06 I see the rpt button is really a mode switch. It toggle through several functions, 4 I think, one of which is the random play mode. If you are hitting the rpt button again I am sure, based on what I read, you are changing mode again not skiping to the next random track. So then you must be hitting the track button and getting the next track in line and not a random track like you expect. Is this correct?

After I get my junk into the new 06 I'll fiddle with mine and let you know if I am getting a different result. My car is a recent manufacture so if they thought there was a problem it might be fixed on my model.....then again maybe not. :-)

Roll
  • Options
    mickeyveemickeyvee Member Posts: 12
    I'm shopping for G35 coupe. Test drove tonight. Sweeeeeeeeet...except for 1 thing. My [non-permissible content removed] hurts. I'm only 5' 9" & my wife is 5' 1". The seats were really confining...almost too small by the upper thigh. What am I missing. Is this the problem I never expected???
  • Options
    murrowmurrow Member Posts: 72
    I agree that the seats are more confining than I expected too. I'm only 5'9" and about 170. The ones in my Acura were more comfortable in the thigh area by a long shot. I think it's because the G35 seats have thigh bolsters all the way to the front of the cushion. The Acura had pronounced thigh bolsters, but they didn't reach all the way to the front of the cushion, which gave me a bit more room to stretch.
  • Options
    You get used to it and may even grow to prefer it.

Same concept as a racing seat but not as high on the sides or as tight.

Roll
  • Options
    mickeyveemickeyvee Member Posts: 12
    I test drove a G35 coupe/ auto last night and am going to try to keep it over night tonight (Saturday). It's a very hot car! However, I'm a little frustrated by the comfort in the seats. As I said,I'm not a big guy (5'9" 170lb) and my [non-permissible content removed] hurt after driving it! The sides of the seat cut into my upper thigh. Seriously, this is a dilemma. I'm going to change the seat position to see if that helps at all. This could be a deal breaker.

Also looking at certified 2004 Mercedes CLK500 with 9500 mi (only $2K more!). It is still on my mind especially with the "[non-permissible content removed]" issue! I boasts HP & saftey. I have a wife and 2 boys (11 & 14) and live in Chicago (lots of lousy weather). However, I have read & heard that Mercedes is living on reputation and the "true quality" has diminished..."babying it" to keep it running. I want that to almost be a non-factor.

So my decision is:
    Cool, high quality, 4 seat sports car with seating issues-G35
    Vs.
    Prestigious, sporty, upper tier, "questionable quality"-CLK
    It's a great situation to be in.
  • Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    One other thing to consider, depending on whether or not you're going to drive in snow. You may need a winter set of wheels and tires. I was looking at a g35 coupe and that's what killed it for me. Great car, sexy as hell.

Dave
  • Options
    Not much "may" about it. For safe winter driving in the Coupe you will need a set a winter tires. The good news is that you can pick up a set of aftermarket 17" wheels and fit Winter tires reasonably cheap and you will get longer life from your stock or summer tires because you're not running them year round.

Roll
  • Options
    How in the heck do I set a pause on the on-board phone book in the Bluetooth equipped Coupe? :confuse:

I have tried every manner of star, #, space, pause and even speed dial and yet can’t seem to get it. The pause is critical to getting into voice mail and through switchboards for me as I am sure it is for everyone. Any idea of how to get it done?

I’m using the Verizon version of the Razor which I believe is different than the Cingular.

When I say the word space or pause the Infiniti system sees it as the number of the key of the first letter in the word.

I even moved the numbers requiring a pause to my speed dial group but that doesn’t work either. For some reason all this does is get me a Verizon recording about reaching a wrong number.

Help……… :cry:

Thanks, Roll
  • Options
    Roll,

>So then you must be hitting the track button and getting
    >the next track in line and not a random track like you expect. Is this correct?

That is correct. I use the mode button to enable random on all disks, but when hitting either next track on the CD player itself, or 'next' on the steering wheel control, I simply get the next track on the CD and not the next random track.

This is a pain when the CD player starts playing a track from one of my wife's CD choices (it is her car after all!) which I don't like. Hitting next simply plays the next track on the same CD, or the next track in the same folder if it's an MP3 disk. The only way to get out of that folder, or off the disk, is to allow the track to finish and the player then goes off and selects the next random.

Enjoy the car,

Pol
  • Options
    hey guys,

over the weekend i turned in the accord and got myself a black/wheat premium package coupe auto! love the car! like others, i'm still getting used to the sorta tight seat bottom cushion. i have no problem with the seatback bolsters. also, would prefer just a bit more headroom as i'm 6'1" and with the sunroof it was almost a dealbreaker. why is it that noboby seems to realize that there are alot of guys out there over 6ft?? i have a hard time fitting into alot of sunroof equipped cars...

anyway, loving the car and getting lots o compliments!
  • Options
    Thanks Dancerman
  • Options
    Black over Wheat....nice combo. Enjoy. :)
  • Options
    A while back there was a discussion about the tire pressure monitors and if the warning light would be triggered if you used aftermarket wheels without the pressure monitors installed.

Experience varied.

Now I know. The light is triggered after a few miles. In the 06 Coupe, the low tire pressure light blinks for a while and then turns solid.

The good news is that it is the same color as the instrument lights and sits off to the left out of the way. Because of this it blends in and can be ignored.

So….the warning light does come on but it’s a non-event.

Roll
  • Options
    hey guys,

still lovin' the car but do have a couple beefs. road noise on certain surfaces is kinda high. but, for the most part i can forgive it because of the way it rides and handles...

one other beef, anyone else dissappointed with the bose system? i find it purely mediocre. even my '03 honda accord had a better, crisper sounding system with more distinct base. this is probably my biggest disappointment in the car so far...
  • Options
    oh, one other question. any of you guys ever run mid-grade octane in your g35? just wondering if 89 octane would be sufficient on occasion? thanks...
  • Options
    When I ran the 17in winter tires I had only a little road noise. The 17in summer tread was quiet too. Now I have my 18s on for the summer season and they transmit more road noise. If you are running 19s I expect you will hear even more road noise.

Roll
  • Options
    mine has the all season 17s...i still find that i'm getting alot of road rumble on any surface that isn't glass smooth. i'm sure i'll get used to it...but it does seem a little loud at times.
  • Options
    Just for kicks, check the rear quarters just behind the rear wheels where the rear mud guards are attached. See if you have a loose fender at the very bottom behind the wheel.

I found an attachment bolt missing back there when I washed the car the first time. The fender was just too flexible. Fix was easy, took the bolt out of the other side, matched it and put both back in.

My car with 17s just is not that noisy. Not coming out of a Lexus are you? That might be the difference too.
  • Options
    rear quarters are all fine on my car. btw, coming out of an '03 accord v6 coupe...and believe it or not...that car was a tad quieter than the g35 on coarse pavement. then again it had 16 inch wheels that weren't nearly as wide as the g35's 17 inchers.
  • Options
    I guess I'm the only one with a problem with the bluetooth phone set up.

I finally got some help and managed to say "pause, pause pause pause" clearly enough to get the Infiniti system to accept the pause command. However, the signal to the phone does not actually create a pause and only causes the phone to emit a loud constant tone.

This is a problem now, I understand, because the Infiniti system is not approved yet for the Verizon Razor. That being different than the Cingular Razor. Humph

Roll
  • Options
    hey guys,

just noticed in the owner's manual that for the automatic sedan nissan recommends a minimum octane rating of 87 for gas. but for the automatic coupe they recommend minimum 91. what gives? is there really any difference between the engine in the sedan vs the coupe? they are both rated the same. me thinks the coupe would probably run just fine on mid grade octane fuel? what do you guys think?
  • Options
    That's interesting and I'd like to hear what Infiniti has to say about the reaons for different octane.

That said, I won't be chancing low octane in my car. Predet can damage a motor and I have a tendency to push my cars, a bad combo when you're runing a lower than recommended octane.

Roll
  • Options
    oneangrywomanoneangrywoman Member Posts: 4
    I am the unfortunate owner of a 2005 Red G35 Coupe with the paint chipping problem. I bought it last May, but it has only 6800 miles on it and has spent most of its life in the garage. I noticed about a month ago how bad the paint chipping had become, and began reading some of the posts in this forum. Today, I went to the dealership (Euless, TX) to have the Service Manager look at it. He glanced at it, and said that it was rock chips, and there is nothing wrong with the paint. Its not covered by warranty, and there is nothing he can do because Infiniti will not reimburse the dealership. I told him that was a bunch of bull, because the chips are all over the car and they are numerous. He told me had inspected at least 50 other cars and the paint depth was within spec, and there is nothing they will do. I asked if they would at least fix the cosmetic aspects, and he said only at my expense. I am furious that Infiniti/Nissan is not standing by their work, as this is clearly defective paint. I will not continue to own, nor will I ever buy another Infiniti. Any help anyone can provide in getting Infiniti to buy back this car would be appreciated.
  • Options
    georocks22georocks22 Member Posts: 6
    I am also the owner of a red Infiniti. It has many rock chips all over the car. Hyatt Infiniti in Calgary refuses to do anything about it. They say that Infiniti Canada does not recognize this as a defect. They call it "road hazzard". I call it BS.
  • Options
    bigairnutbigairnut Member Posts: 15
    As you can see by the previous posts on this forum, Infiniti is well aware of the problems regarding the Red coupes. Yellowcar and Rollbar were very fortunate to receive complete buybacks from Infiniti. Unfortunately, the rest of us have not been treated as well. I strongly suggest that all owners with paint problems pursue all avenues necessary to get the problems resolved favorably. Infiniti has offered to repaint my hood as a "goodwill" gesture, but is unwilling to paint the rest of the car. I have taken my case all the way through the Infiniti Customer Care process to no avail. I have also escalated it to the executive level at Infiniti and got the same offer but they also added an extended warranty to the deal. I said no. I am now working with an attorney and will take this as far as I need to in order to be treated fairly. No one should have to settle for a repainted car that they spent $36000 on. You need to start with Infiniti though - call the customer care line and file a claim. If that does not work out, take it to the next level. Contact Louis Valenzuela at 310-771-3790 or the executive office at 310-352-3111. You will need to go through Customer Care before going to these levels though. If nothing else works, see a lemon law attorney in your state.

I won't even accept a replacement vehicle at this point. After being treated as I have for the last 5 months, I want nothing more to do with Infiniti or Nissan and will never own another.
  • Options
    yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    Sorry to hear of your problems.

If you have read all of the posts on this topic you will find we were fortunate to have a sympathetic dealer in Dallas AND to have good timing when we brought the car in for inspection - the regional service manager was on site that day. I've also posted information on the paint thickness specs and your dealer may be correct - your car may be in spec, but just at the minimums. Our case number with Infiniti is posted in the forum, you may be looking at retaining an attorney to push this along. At least you have a Texas precedent to work with.

Per Rollbar's experience, his case was also initially denied and later re-opened when he presented heavy factual documentation from a independent auto paint expert.

Good luck and remember - raw emotion will probably get you nowhere, you must build a compelling factual case!

Jim
  • Options
    Kind of gut-wrenching to read these cases.

Yellowcar and Roll have good case history to go by. My suggestion is a follow up to Yellowcar's: get the facts together (visit a paint shop for a written analysis of the paint condition, etc.), and then present those facts to the dealer first. Take the response, if negative, with the facts to the next level of customer service.

Seems to me there may be enough documentation out there to force a solution in your favor, if elevated to the right strate.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more with Yellowcar and 'Bate. I would add that in my case my excellent relationship with the dealer made a difference and caution anyone with a problem to try to preserve that relationship if possible. Don't burn the bridges you may need down the road.

Infiniti/Nissan seems to listen to their Dealers.

Roll
  • Options
    I am really glad that to hear that you got support from your dealer, unfortunately the service manager at mine was not interested in being helpful whatsoever, he started the conversation with his arms crossed and ended by telling me I could take it to Infiniti or Consumer affairs, but they were not doing anything. While after reading these posts I didn't have high expectations, I did expect at least some attempt from the dealer to maintain a relationship with a first time Infiniti owner, but that did not happen. I do understand that the dealers are in a very difficult position, but I did expect more from mine than what I got. Thanks to everyone for their help, I will decide whether I want to even pursue this from here. If all goes well I will be the owner of another car by tomorrow (not Infiniti or Nissan). I am really not interested in keeping a car where the manufacturer does not back their product, and does not value the long term relationship with their customers.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. You also talked to the GM I assume. Sometimes you get more attention at that level.

Not to bore with a long story but I had a Porsche with an out of warranty engine problem a couple of years ago. Porsche agreed to help after weeks of back and forth communications, but only for half the cost. Their reason.....I had not supported the dealership; had only visited for warranty work, never for routine maintenance or other purchases. It was true and hit home. For years I had avoided dealers for all but the purchase and warranty work.

With Infiniti, I had all my maintenance done at the dealership which I found in the long run was not really much more expensive than a corner oil change pit.

When it came time to seek the Dealers support for my paint issue I pointed out my loyalty to the Dealer and this time the tables were reversed. The dealership agreed and really went to the mat for me. I am convinced it made the difference between a long and hard battle and pleasant cooperation.

For me....that's a lesson learned.

Roll (Just my view; others may have a totally different experience or opinion, although I suspect in Yellowcars case he also had a good working relationship with the dealer.)
  • Options
    yellowcaryellowcar Member Posts: 46
    Roll,
    Our parallels continue to scare me!

THE "Yellowcar" (2000 Boxster) developed a water leak just out of warranty - about 54k miles. Without my asking for special consideration, my dealer went to Porsche NA and requested extended warranty coverage for me. They covered 75% of a waterpump replacement. What a pleasant surprise!

All routine service has been performed at this dealer, even buying some tires from them. Did the relationship factor kick in? Without a doubt!!!

Our Infiniti relationship had actually started out a bit tenuous but we stuck with them in ordering the '06 because we distinctly wanted to work with this dealer due to their outstanding reputation in the DFW market. That commitment on our part paid off.

Hope you are enjoying the new ride. I noticed you posted about replacing the wheels, how about a picture on Carspace?

Jim
  • Options
    "I noticed you posted about replacing the wheels, how about a picture on Carspace?"

Yeah, how about it, fella?! :shades:
  • Options
    My car didn't have enough miles for me to have used the dealership for routine maintenance. We have bought over 6 cars in the last two years from a number of dealerships, and I have always had great service from them. We bought a used Civic (out of warranty) from a dealership, and the transmission went out. It was replaced at no charge by Honda with very little effort on our part. The G35 was far less important to me, then the willingness of the company and dealership to stand behind their product. If the dealer had even remotely been interested in being an advocate for me with the manufacturer, I would have been willing to stay with them. But alas, that was not the case. For those that are shopping to purchase an Infiniti, the local dealer that I was sorely disappointed in was Grubbs Infiniti in Euless, TX. As for my resolution to this problem, I bought a beautiful Mercedes SLK280 convertible hardtop. I had the best experience of my life working with the dealership and got exactly what I wanted out of the G35. Ewing (Dallas), knows what customer service is about, and I know from previous experience with Mercedes that I will not have to worry about this in the future should I encounter problems with the vehicle. Good luck to everyone that is continuing to resolve to work to resolve their issues.
  • Options
    Enjoy the SLK!

I have to giggle here, though. There is actually a Ewing dealership in Dallas? Bobby's or JR's? ;)
  • Options
    opowersopowers Member Posts: 2
    The 19's do present some road noise, depending on the surface and weather conditions. The wonderful exhaust and motor "noise" make up for this as well as the Bose CD at 22. Now, I need some good help here. My 06 6MT coupe has problems upon startup when the temp. is 55f or below. Before warming up, upshifts and downshift produce nicking noises, "minor grinding", even with the clutch to the floor. All is fine after 3 to 8 minutes of drive time. Supposedly, the gear lube is Nissan only synthetic, and the dealer service rep stated that "Redline" will cause tranny problems. Does anybody else have this problem?
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    that I live in a different world than others who post here:

We have bought over 6 cars in the last two years from a number of dealerships,

I have bought two cars in the last six years & still have both. "Buying" six cars in two years is an interesting concept.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester