Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    dodgieblokedodgiebloke Member Posts: 3
    My power drivers seat has decided to stop moving forward. The seat will still raise and lower and tilt back and forward. The memory setting still try and adjust the seat to its specified position except the seat will not move forward towards teh steering wheel. My car is out of warranty and I wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem before I get screwed by a dealer.

I've checked the seat to make sure there is nothing blocking the seats movement, and everything is clear. I've looked at the fuses but nothing indicates which fuse is for the seat, but again everything else in the seat works, so I'm reluctant to start pulling fuses randomly.

If anyone can offer any advise it will be much appreciated.

Thank you

James
  • Options
    themdtnthemdtn Member Posts: 18
    You can spray the round rubber bushings of both compression rods (the curve lower arms of the front suspension) with Armor-All to soften the rubber and the noise will stop. If there is alot of free-play when you grab and twist the compression rod, it will need to be replaced.
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Would pure silicone be a better choice to spray on rubber bushings than Armor All since silicone preserves rubber?
  • Options
    gforce3gforce3 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the ball joint problem also. It seemed like they were my breaks clapping or hitting against my rotors. I was told that it was my middle ball joints and my lower ball joints witch is connected as one piece to the control arm, that was going and should be replaced. For both with labor I was quoted $2000.Did u get a second opinion?
  • Options
    stef1974stef1974 Member Posts: 8
    I got a second opinion from an independent garage with a good reputation. He said that he could do the same job for about 800$ that the dealer quoted for 1200$. I didn't get it fixed yet, but I still get the creaking noise when I turn the steering wheel or hit bumps. Will need to get fixed soon, but not at the dealer
  • Options
    stef1974stef1974 Member Posts: 8
    The dealer fixed the problem. By doing a leak-down test, I guess, they found that the sound system was never completely shutting off. So it was always using battery power, even though it looked off. Radio had to be replaced for about 450$ with labor
  • Options
    gforce3gforce3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 g35 Sedan that was made in february of 02. I was going to put some Eibach coilover springs on, but I was told that the 03 model made in early 02 was made slightly different and that the springs could not fit the car even though they are made for the 03 year. Has anyone come across this problem and how if at all did you resolve it.
  • Options
    kweldonkweldon Member Posts: 3
    This is probably a series of stupid questions, but here goes. I leased an 05 G35 sedan. Currently has 33K miles. I've noticed it is time for brakes and tires. Being under a lease am I required to have the brake work done at the dealership? Regarding the tires, do I have to put the same exact tires on the car as factory tires that came with it? I've never used the dealership for anything thus far. I have one year on the lease left, and was hoping to put cheaper tires on it. Please help.
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Is changing the oil and filter on a G35 pretty standard?

Nothing unusual or difficult about it beyond how its done on most cars?

How do you feel about places like Jiffy Lube and such doing this, versus the dealer?
  • Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I do my 2006 6MT sedan oil change at the local gas station. Pretty standard...removing the filter is a bit of a pain, per the mechanic, but otherwise, nothing special. I do it for $20 out the door.
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    You are not required to use the dealer for replacement tires and brtakes. So long as the parts used are of good quality, there should be no problem at lease end. Same for tires.
  • Options
    volcanoes2001volcanoes2001 Member Posts: 3
    I hear a "wind-like" sound but a nissan mechanician said its a rubbing sound, but he cannot find the problem. It only happens when the car is cold, the sound dissappear when the car warms up.

Also, I sometimes hear creaking sound from chassis (or suspension i am not sure)when i go slow on bumpily road, and also from the chair when i move around. Is that normal for a 03 G35? or should I bring it to infiniti for repair since I still have warranty covered.
  • Options
    will42will42 Member Posts: 21
    Do you have a sunroof? I had a 2004 G35 coupe that had a creaking, rubbing sound. It was the rubber seal around the sunroof. It made this noise whenever the body flexed. The dealer put something on the rubber seal and it stopped.
  • Options
    as you mentioned, i have that problem too. But the major sound that i mentioned is from the front, somewhere under the cover.

Did you fix it with warranty?
  • Options
    wildcat2320wildcat2320 Member Posts: 15
    The paint of my car is awful. I'm noticing alot of paint chips on the hood of the car and IJ ust saw one alongside the windshield that has rusted. It's small but nonetheless I don't like that it's rusted. Is there any avenue I can pursue with the dealership to get this taken care of?

I bought the car used when it was a year old (a year ago) and they repainted the hood of the car and front fenders of the car last year at no charge when I bought it because it was such a mess. I'm just worried about more rust. Or should I just get touch up paint and touch up all the spots? I worried about being able to see touch up spots all over the car though. I didn't know what the warranty covers on these cars as far as paint goes. Thanks.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    Is this car red by any chance?

Red paint "issues" are a known problem, at least by some of us. If it's not red, then it's just the standard latex paint (green-friendly) stuff that we all have to deal with these days.

You may not remember when factory paint stuck like glue & lasted forever. Sadly, I do.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    will42will42 Member Posts: 21
    Yes, they fixed it under warranty. The mechanic put a vinyl dressing of some sort on it and it stopped making the noise.
  • Options
    slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    My dealer had told me that I should bring the car in after about a month or 1200 miles to have a quick inspection of the car (free of charge). The Infiniti manual states 3,500 miles is the first scheduled maintenance. Any comments? My dealer is not very close and I would like to avoid an extra trip if possible. Also, does anyone know what they do on the first (3,500 mile) maintenance and about how much it should cost?? Thanks.
  • Options
    cltucker11cltucker11 Member Posts: 2
    My G35 recently developed a flapping or fanning noise. It appears to be coming from under the left wheel well but could be under the hood on the left side. It only occurs starting a 45 to 50 mph and appear to be caused by wind turbulence. :confuse:
  • Options
    hey! I have the similar problem here. But it only happens when car is very cold like in the morning. The sound disappeared after warm up. I inspected at nissan. They heard the sound but couldn't find the problem. They first determine that it might be metal rubbing sound but sounds like wind turbulence. I don't what to do either since no one can actually find where the problem is. :cry:
  • Options
    sl530sl530 Member Posts: 5
    Door upholstery on all four doors is starting to separate at intersection with plastic along top of panel. Is this a common problem unique to Infiniti G???
  • Options
    bythabaybythabay Member Posts: 7
    you guys can find all sorts of useful information about the g35 on www.g35driver.com

Also, you can find a bunch of do it yourself videos for the g35 here: http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183421
  • Options
    cltucker11cltucker11 Member Posts: 2
    Thank for your reply.
    I found the problem a week ago. When I had my brakes done in June, Infinite service had to remove the bottom shield to the engine. When they put it back, did left 2 retaining clips uninstall. The sheild vibrated when the car reached a certain speed.
  • Options
    greg59greg59 Member Posts: 8
    I have a G35 Infinity, 2003.

Great car!!
    Today while driving to work my slip light has come on and stayed on. I have pressed the button a few times to deactivate and avtivate it again but no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    greg59greg59 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003 infinity G35. My right headlamp seems to have internal fogging. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Options
    prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    I have seen a number of older G35's having same issue. I don't know why but that is one of the reason I did not buy a 2007 G35 last year.
  • Options
    cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    According to the user manual of my 2008 G35x:

"Fog may temporarily form inside the lens of the exterior lights in the rain or in a car wash. A temperature difference between the inside and the outside of the lens causes the fog. This is not a malfunction. If large drops of water collect inside the lens, contact an Infiniti dealer."

Not sure if the 2003 uses the same headlamps?
  • Options
    adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    Only a few 2007 6mt sedans are affected, see VIN line below:

Reference: Date:
    ITB08-001 January 12, 2008
    VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN
    2007 G35 6-MT CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER
    CAMPAIGN ID #: P7253
    APPLIED VEHICLES: 2007 G35 Sedan (V36) with 6 speed manual transmission
    APPLIED VINs: JNKBV61E*7M 700138 to 727518
    NOTE: Use Infiniti Net to confirm campaign eligibility

INTRODUCTION
    Infiniti has determined that on some 2007 G35 sedan vehicles equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission, the clutch slave cylinder assembly may not have been manufactured properly. This could result in the operating force of the clutch pedal becoming light, and in some cases, could result in improper clutch operation. Infiniti is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign to replace the clutch slave cylinder assembly with a new improved part free of charge for parts or labor.

IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
    Infiniti has assigned identification number P7253 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.

OWNER’S LETTER
    Dear Infiniti G35 Owner:

Infiniti is committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. With that in mind, we want to bring to your attention important information regarding the clutch hydraulic system in your 2007 G35.

REASON FOR SERVICE ACTION
    Infiniti has discovered that on certain 2007 G35 vehicles equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission, the clutch slave cylinder assembly may not have been manufactured properly. This could result in the operating force of the clutch pedal becoming light, and in some cases, could result in improper clutch operation.

WHAT INFINITI WILL DO
    To assure your continued satisfaction in your G35, your Infiniti retailer can replace the clutch slave cylinder assembly with a new improved part free of charge for parts or labor.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
    Please contact your Infiniti retailer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment. This free service should take about three hours to complete, but your Infiniti retailer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon the workshop schedule. To ensure the least inconvenience for you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the dealer for service.
    Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment. Instructions have been sent to your Infiniti retailer.

If the retailer fails, or is unable to complete the modifications free of charge, you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Office, Infiniti Division, Nissan North America, Inc. at P.O Box 685003 Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll free number is 1-800-662-6200.

Thank you for providing us this opportunity to ensure your on-going satisfaction with your Infiniti G35.

==========================
    Verification of contact information can be found by going to http://www.infiniti.com/iapps/contactus

Verification of the TSB can be had by calling the 800 number above and pressing the menu option for Infiniti Recall / Service Campaigns.
  • Options
    sm91sm91 Member Posts: 3
    I've paired my Moto Q 9m (on Infiniti's approved list) with my 2007 g35x.

I started getting an error occasionally - when starting the car, the display screen in the car would indicate "Private Caller," the on-screen buttons (e.g., Hang Up) would appear but not do anything (as if they were disabled or locked), the car would "ring," but there would be no incoming call (the phone was silent). After about 20-30 seconds, this error would go away on its own (except for one time when it did not, and I had to turn the car off and then back on - like rebooting my car).

The dealer replaced the radio unit, which changed, but did not eliminate the problem.

Now, when the problem occurs, I get the same screen (Private Caller, with buttons that don't do anything), but the car doesn't ring, the phone is still silent, and the problem fixes itself in about 10 seconds. The times when this error occurs seem to be "grouped" together - last week, this error occured 5 times in one day (each time I started the car that day), but has not occurred since.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
  • Options
    kortez3kortez3 Member Posts: 1
    My VDC, slip, and check-engine-soon lights came on along with loss of power. So I restarted and the VDC and slip lights went off and the power came back, but the check-engine-soon light stayed on, after letting the car sit for awhile that light went off too, the car is running fine now, but this is the second time it has done this in the last 1000 miles. Any ideas?
  • Options
    jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    Looks like mine is within that range of VINs. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Could be a faulty sensor in the VDC system. You should have the car scanned and see if some error codes come up.
  • Options
    Mine too. I'll be picking it back up from the dealership in an hour or so. I will reply with difference (if any) in clutch feel / feedback / etc.
  • Options
    I noticed no difference in the car post recall work. I had no problems before the recall either, so YMMV.

They replaced three parts and the brake fluid:
    CYL ASSY - Concentri - 306A1 - JK40C
    CYL ASSY - Concentri - 206A1 - JK40A
    Insulator & Bolt Kit - 34115 - CD026
    Brake Flui 320Z - 999MP - A4132P
  • Options
    jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    My letter was part of the post when I got home yesterday. Haven't had any problems with the clutch that I've noticed so far, which is good news. It will be a week or 2 perhaps before I will take it to the dealer.
  • Options
    dajatdajat Member Posts: 13
    I wish I had done more planning and research before I brought my 2008 G35x sedan home.
    Twice during discussions with the salesperson I asked what the breakin period was. He said 500 miles each time. The car now has 1500 miles on it, however since the 500 mile mark, the engine has been briefly (i.e. 5 - 7 seconds at a time) spun to 5000 three or four times.

I purchased the car on 12/31/2008 and have been reading the owners manual from day one, but just got to the section that talks about not revving the engine past 4000 rpm until after 1200 miles. A stupid oversight in retrospect. I should have hunted this info down first, instead of relying on the salesperson.

Now I wonder what the consequences might be? The car still seems to be running fine, but I have the sense that I could spend the next 5 years figuratively "looking over my shoulder".

The fact is that I am VERY careful with my car most of the time. I am generally a "5 mph over the speed limit" driver on the road. I hate to admit it but, in town but I accelerate in a "elderly" fashion (1) because it swills premium unleaded at about 18 mpg and (2) because it's been nearly 20 years since I owned a performance car and I want to keep it forever.

If anyone can tell me candidly what the potential consequences are for having accelerated above the recommended 4000 rpm ceiling prior to the 1200 mile mark, I'd be appreciative.
  • Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    I doubt you did anything to hurt that motor :shades: Drive on....
  • Options
    shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    Personally, I would not worry about it at all. I tried to keep mine under 4k RPMs during the break-in period, but once or twice it might have gone over because you press the gas just to accelerate a bit and the darn thing drops a gear and blasts off. If there were real serious consequences Infiniti would have a rev-limiter until 1200 miles...

.. and as several people have mentioned, I don't know how your test drive was, but my salesperson had me take the car to red-line. Yes, red-line, while demonstrating the manual shift mode. This on a new car right off the lot (not mine ;)) with about 30 miles on it.

And lastly, they test every G35 out at the factory when it comes off the line. There should have been a card in your glove box signed by the person who did the testing and how many miles the engine had on it. Mine had 5 miles, but word has it they could be up to 10 miles, and I guarantee you that the engineer drove the car hard during testing.

A few briefs seconds at only 5k RPMs is, in my opinion, absolutely nothing to worry about. If you had said you were driving around town bouncing the engine off the rev-limiter all the time, then yeah, maybe I might think about being worried. My former S2000 had a break-in period of 600miles and then it was 9000 RPM!!

kc
  • Options
    iamsocksiamsocks Member Posts: 8
    I have the option on my seat controls and steering column to set itself when I start the car...I have been having a problem when I open the door the seat and column starts moving prematurely. It will move up and then go back to fully back position. Then when I start the car its o.k. This has been happening more frequently but not when I take it to the dealer...Has anyone had this problem??
    I have also had my touch screen replaced due to a blackout type situation that wouldn't allow the entire control center to work...After they replaced it, no problems.
    Any info would be great...
    Thanks
  • Options
    Shov8 and Mnrep2 I really appreciate the feedback. I will not sweat the issue any further then.

So far owning the car has been a remarkable experience. After years of reading car magazines and dreaming of owning a high-performance sports sedan, it is gratifying to find the reality is living up to my dream.

Powerful, agile, sophistocated, and luxurious, it has provided a out-of-this-world experience, this driver of a 2001 Subaru Forester could not have imagined.
  • Options
    shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    There is a setting on the G35 to have the car seat move back and the wheel tilt up during entry and exit. It should be under the settings options somewhere. Is that maybe what you are experiencing? Your post makes it sound like the seat is moving every time you open the door, which should not happen. My '08, when I turn off the car, moves the seat back and raises the wheel. Then later, when entering the car, nothing happens until I start the car up, then the seat moves forward and the wheel tilts down return to their original positions.

kc
  • Options
    It is a perplexing problem, especially since the Motorola Q9M is on Infiniti's list of tested / compatible phone handsets. I assume you have already been to the Infiniti Bluetooth Information web site, but thought I'd include it anyway. After you select your year, model, and nav / no-nav option, they list the model and also have a setup guide for each.
    I did some searching online and saw nothing that looked exactly like the problem described and relatively few bluetooth problems specific to the Q9M in general. I did find it interesting that Verizon (don't know or did not see who your carrier / wireless service provider is) , does not show "navigation" equipped Infiniti models in their list of supported bluetooth car kits .

There were some posts in various forums indicating problems that Acura's were experiencing with the Q9M. See the web sites listed below (hope I used the forum's URL formatting tool correctly):
    Hello Moto Q forum
    Everything Q forum
    Q Users forum

If I interpreted their postings and replies correctly, the problems they observed might be in phone handset's software itself.
    ***** The waters from here on are bordered with "Enter At Your Own Risk" signs.*****
    That said, if I'd exhausted all the settings and configuration avenues I'd check with the wireless service provider to determine if there is a software update available for the phone. It might fix the problem you are having. If you take it to their store, they will often update it for you. You could also find this information (and if it exist, the update itself) at the web site of the wireless service provider or Motorola. Be forewarned that though such updates fix problems (and sometimes add features), they can change the behavior of existing functions. This can potentially create new problems, or at least requiring learning how the updated function works. Lastly, updates sometimes erase the handset's user preferences and data. Better designed ones, back up this data as part of the upgrade process, but there are others which do not.
    In case the URL links fail, the actual URLs are listed below. Good luck:

http://www.infiniti.com/bluetooth/

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/bluetooth_car_kit/Motorola_Q9m.pdf

http://www.hellomotoq.com/forums/built-applications-motorola-q/476-bluetooth-blu- es.html

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9m/acura-tl-handsfree-w-q9m-13024.html

http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11439&sid=2d1ec8438e14d304e8323b2458- dbcebd

I have a premium and nav package equipped '08 G35x. I use a Sprint Treo 700p phone (which is not on Infiniti's compatible / tested phone list) and have had minimal problems with bluetooth functionality, so far. Of course, it should be noted I have only had the car for a month.
  • Options
    Sorry I missed the first line of your message, which suggest you have already been to Infiniti's website.
  • Options
    alabamablondiealabamablondie Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you got anywhere with your problem. I just bought an '06 G35 after researching and looking at the consumer guide book--there was no mention of a problem. But I've noticed the problem every time I drive it: when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, it makes a grinding noise. It has happened several times on the downshift too. I took it back to the place where I bought the car, and the service center consulted with the Infiniti dealership. The answer they got was that it is a common complaint, that it is the Anti-lock brake system initiating that makes a "droning" noise. Well, I'm no mechanic, but that was no "droning" noise, and I know that it is not normal for a car to do that. A friend of mine told me that several of her friends that drive Infinit G35's had "computer problems" with their cars. Any advice?
  • Options
    iamsocksiamsocks Member Posts: 8
    I have it set to do exactly what yours does, only it will do it when I open the door and then go back to the retracted position. Then I will sit and start the car and it goes to the correct setting. I just don't understand why it is doing it when I open the door.....it will move up and back and just seems a little haywire....I was told this can happen if you pull on it ...say when you are exiting....before it has fully gone to the exiting position.If you know what I mean. Like maybe I interrupted the cycle and the next time I open the door it wants to resume where I started to pull on it. If you experience anything like this let me know if there is a correlation between pulling on the wheel to exit before it has finished retracting and reseting once you enter the next time. Very odd for me....the dealer said he would need to see it and the computer shows no signs of it..
    Also, I had to get the rear window molding repaired due to a problem they said they are seeing more of...the clips that hold the molding in the door are breaking...fyi
    Thanks
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    You just hit an interesting point.
    If you interrupt the movement, it's all screwy the next time you the in the car.
    I've noticed this as well.

I have it set to raise the wheel and move the seat back.
    Sometimes I have my 4yr old with me in the back seat and I don't wanna crush her little feet... so when I open the driver's door to exit, I quickly tap the seat adjustment knob to stop the backward movement.
    When I get back into the car, the seats move around, and don't reset back to my programmed position once the car is started.
    This ONLY happens when I interrupt the seat movement upon exiting.

Check and confirm if your issues only occur when interrupting the seat's automatic movement.
  • Options
    I have an older Treo 650 which seems to work well with my G35x 07 sedan EXCEPT when I am on a call and another call comes in BOTH calls are disconnected. Very frustrating as you can imagine. My dealer has been completely worthless in helping with this problem. I just heard from a different Infiniti dealer's service manager that there is a TSB out for this problem but requires a hardware replacement - don't know any other details. I looked on-line and could not find any TSB relating to this problem. Anyone have any insight/information?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    can't you disable the call waiting feature that your phone service probably provides? I bet that's the problem.
  • Options
    I probably can but that means disabling prior to getting in my car and enabling when I get out. It is important to me/my business that I don't miss any calls and therefore call waiting is important. I could also just use a bluetooth earpiece and disable the car's bluetooth or use a headset while in the car - both of these fixes also miss the point as well.
  • Options
    Wierd. My call waiting (second call notification and switching) works fine on my T-Mobile Dash (HJC Excaliber) running WM5. I get a little popup on the NAV screen and I can hold the current call and answer the second. I haven't figured out (haven't tried) to switch back using the car controls without hanging up the second call, but I'm sure I could do it via the phone itself.

Are you sure it's the car that's the issue here? Try a different phone and see what happens, maybe.