Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Sure...and it's cheap and easily accomplished
    Good luck
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    here's a good display of tire wear issues and causes:

How To Read Tire Wear
  • Options
    raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    What tires do you have on your coupe. The OEM Bridgestone Potenzas got very noisy when they had more than 18,000 miles on my coupe. I replaced them with Kumho Ecsta's and there is no noise now.
  • Options
    jusdjusd Member Posts: 3
    First time on this site...i have heard good things about it...i own a 03 g35 coupe...two problems...i think there is a cd stuck in the player...they will not eject, it just clicks a couple times and gives me an error on the screen..can i fix this, if not were can i get a cheep one (junk yard..lol..)..Another problem is that when i close the passenger door the window comes down about 5 inches. i then need to start the car, put the window up and lock the window. this happens about 3 days a week.

Help!!!! :confuse:
  • Options
    liquidzbluliquidzblu Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2004 G35x with about 78,000 miles ... I have given car synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles I have had a Stillen Cold Air Intake installed at Infinity Dealership. I have also put brakes on car from Goodyear (mistake) .... Question is What type of service or maintanence should I have done to the car. I want this car to last a long time. I take very good care of it and want to keep everything working. My dealership said I should have a 60000 mile maintanence service done to it and that it will run around 8 or 9 hundred dollars is it worth it???? :shades:
  • Options
    The best thing to do is to look in the car's service manual and just do what the factory recommends. Dealers charge a lot for inspecting things that don't really need it. Follow the Infiniti recommended service schedules for your driving type.
  • Options
    sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    Can someone please advise me as to what is the best motor oil to use on my 2006 g35x? I don't drive it very far anymore. I only have 14,300k miles on it. I currently have Castrol GTX. My next oil change comes up in 600 miles.

The manual states not to put synthetic oil in it.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    msmodamsmoda Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 G35 sedan with 185,000miles the A/C console is stuck on high and the stereo has gone out after going in and out for a little while the CD player went out 2 years ago flashing an error message , the problem I am also worried about is the car starts to over heat after the A/C has been on and with it stuck on full throttle this is a problem. I have had the thermostat changed no success at fixing the over heating problem. Also while turning or going over bumps the car squeaks really loud. If anyone has had any of these issues can you let me know what the outcome was?
  • Options
    stef1974stef1974 Member Posts: 8
    I can't really comment on the A/C, but I also had the CD player and squeak problems. The first time I was getting errors with the CD player, I had to get it reprogrammed. This was 2 years ago. Last year, my battery was running down over time... had to replace the stereo. Just recently had the same intermittent "CD ERRNO F0" error. I find this usually happens over time when using burned CDs.. don't know why. Dealer had to clean the CD tray and reinstall last time. AS for the squeaks, I just replaced the balljoints in the front and compression rods in the back. Cost of replacement about 2000$, so not sure if it's worth it. I still get squeaks, but not as bad as before
  • Options
    jusdjusd Member Posts: 3
    I had the problem with the noise when going over bumps and i did the same as u but it cost $200. No more noise at all. I may need to do the ball joints now because i get a vibration at 90mi an hour. My cd player now has an error. You stated that it needs to be reprogramed. How much did it cost. The cd player sucks any way, should i just upgrade it? also i did the worst thing. i have been geting regular oil changes. is it to late to go back to synthetic
  • Options
    darrinzramzdarrinzramz Member Posts: 24
    yes!!!,you should change your motor oil to full synthetic I have on my G35 sedan 2004,I use Mobil one 10w30,It will protect all engine components alot better than conventional motor oil,plus you can leave it in there for 5,000-7,000miles!!!.Depending on how hard you drive it!!!,also Titek makes a RED drain plug that is magnetic for Nissan cars(350z-Infiniti G35 sedans and coupes,I just ordered one for my sedan and my wife's 2004 350Z,i hope this helps you,let me know Darrin :)
  • Options
    divemaster174divemaster174 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2008 G35x this year and I have a question about the Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I would like to put four snow tires on a second set of wheel for the winter. I’m trying to decide 2 issues. If I include a second set of TPMS sensors in the new wheels, will the car recognize them without any dealer intervention? My dealer is telling me no. He’s telling me they must program the car to recognize them (1/2 hr of labor every fall & spring).

Alternatively, I could run without TPMS sensors in the winter and deal with the warning light. In the spring when I reinstall the summer tires and original sensors, will the car re-recognize the sensors and clear the tire pressure warning. My dealer is again saying that since a pressure warning will have existed for more than 100 miles, it will be identified as a hard fault and require dealer action to clear. So even without sensors I’m looking at ½ hr of dealer labor every spring when the snow tires come off.

I’m hoping that someone has actually experience running winter with or without sensors and can provide comments or advice.

Thanks in advance for any help. Both winter wheel and sensors are expensive and I’m hoping to make the best and more informed decision before spending the money.

Liam
  • Options
    I do not know if my experience will be relevant because I think Infiniti changed the TPMS system between 2005 and 2008. I have a 2005 coupe. I run a second set of wheels with my snow tires and do have not put the sensors in the winter wheels

The TPMS light does NOT come on when I have the winter tires on. It goes back to normal in the spring when I put the summer tires back on. I have not needed any adjustments from the dealer. I chose not to spend the $200 for a second set of sensors.
  • Options
    divemaster174divemaster174 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone have an 07 or 08 and can offer similar information?
  • Options
    aklutherakluther Member Posts: 13
    I am getting ready to get an 08 G35 Sedan and want to know about the plans that are available. A while back, a dealer emailed me a special:

"2 YR PREPAID INFINITI MAINTENANCE PLAN (OR 30,000 MILES WHICH EVER COMES FIRST) FOR ONLY $19.95"

I did some research and learned that this is the Elite 2 plan which I guess only covers every 7500 miles.

I also found this:

http://extended.infinitiwarranty.net/maintenance-plans/annual-infiniti-car-maint- enance.html

can anyone confirm this and offer pricing? what is the difference between Elite 1 and Elite 2, Deluxe 1 and 2, and Essential 1 and 2?

I am leasing on a 12k/39 mo term (plan to turn in at 36 mo)...

All responses appreciated... :)
  • Options
    popebenedictpopebenedict Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year (lower miles) and exactly the same radio/CD and AC problem. Did you get any more information on those issues? Can you share it with a fellow sufferer please?

Did you get it fixed and if so what should I expect the $ damage to be?

Thanks.
  • Options
    blue13blue13 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

This forum has been pretty helpful to me...I used it when I was shopping for a G35 coupe.

Too bad I couldn't wait a year...some great deals in this economy.

Anyways...any help is much appreciated.

When I go less than 35-40 mph, there is a slight rattling sound near the glove compartment.

But what's worse is this much more audible shaking sound from the back...sort of like something small in a metal jar. I thought it was something in the trunk causing that sound, but after clearing it, still a shaking sound.

It's driving me CRAZYYYYY. I guess I'm extra-worried cuz it's a 35k car, and I don't have another 35k lying around.

Sorry for the dumb questions - has anyone experienced these sounds? Rusty joint? I hope it's nothing serious.
  • Options
    tcdraketcdrake Member Posts: 5
    I have read and see a TSB for the 03 but I don't see one for the 06. I have been experiencing the same discomfort as others have stated on the right side of my right leg. I can feel the plastic pushing into me. I have been out of my car for about a half hour and I can still feel discomfort. Is anyone else having this issue with the 06? Will the 03 TSB work on the 06 seats? If not any suggestions on how I can fix this issue or if I can replace with an 07? Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    Could someone please point me to actual accepted and documented studies conducted by bona fide independent research firms of real cars piling up over 100,000-200,000 miles that definitively prove: synthetic motor oils are superior from a practical standpoint over name brand conventional motor oils in prolonging engine life, maintaining performance, and reducing engine wear?

I read one study conducted on a couple hundred freshly rebuilt NYC taxicabs. Every concievable name brand of synthetic and conventional motor oil was used. Recommended viscosities. Recommended change intervals versus extended change intervals (with filters, of course). Some using oil additives and some not.

Conclusion.....not a lick of practical and functional difference in engine wear despite all of the hype and the wonderful oil company marketing campaigns to the contrary. Today's conventional motor oils are far superior to what our fathers and grandfathers had at their disposal to use.

With one caveat.....the test concluded that the NYC taxicabs did not undergo extreme low temperature challenges to motor oils because they generally didn't sit with the engine off long enough during the winter months to validate that challenge; and the assumption was synthetics would be superior because they don't congeal in extreme cold temperatures, flow remains the same regardless of temperature.

I read elsewhere that one would be better off spending their money on superior oil filters and filtration systems instead.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I just want facts.

Jack
  • Options
    frontierinfinifrontierinfini Member Posts: 4
    I just wanted to warn everyone that is in the San Jose, CA area never to take their Infiniti for service at Frontier Infiniti on Stevens Creek. I brought my FX in for it's 30K maintenance. They told me it was done so I picked it up after work. I paid for the service and they said wait a couple minutes while they bring the car out to the front. However, they can't find my keys. They said this apparently happens often and they might have just left the keys in another car. They "tried" to look for the keys for about 20 or so minutes and said it might turn up tomorrow. They made it a big deal that they provided me a loaner car.

The dealership said they were going to give me a call the next day. I get a call 11:30AM the next day informing me that my car was no longer in the lot. I was even asked if I had come back to the dealership that same night to pick up my car with my spare (So I'm the victim here and I get accused of taking my car). They "discovered" the car missing AM and it took them 4 hours to contact me. I immediately head over to the dealership to file a police report. They have no clue as to what happened. No internal investigation was done. No camera footage was available. Basically considered the whole matter as between me and my insurance. They were very passive and had poor customer service. I love Infiniti and if you car about your's, I highly suggest don't bring it in to Frontier Infiniti on Stevens Creek (San Jose, CA).
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Oh wow! This is a story from hell.

Sounds like an inside job with an employee and or employee associate. This dealership should be 'outed'. They lose keys often? I hope the police gave you some respect at least. Good luck with your new car and my best to you.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Wow, sorry to hear this!!

The most effective way for you to tell others about this is to post in our Dealer Ratings & Reviews section. Give it a look.

Good luck to you.
  • Options
    A couple of observations you probably already know, and I don't know how auto insurance works in CA.

First, I believe your insurance is primary even if the car was stolen off a private lot (the dealership). You may be unpleasantly surprised how low a value your insurance company places on your stolen vehicle. That's a negative economic impact on you when your insurance company settles with you.

Second, I'm from MA, and this is a no fault state. My carrier pays me off and allegedly goes after the culpable party if there is one to go after. Your carrier may assess some premium increase to you as a result of this escapade. Because of the size of the loss, they may pay off your claim (you) and then surprise you at policy renewal time with a refusal to renew you.

It's not necessarily as easy or as clean as it may appear right now.

The vehicle can be replaced. I'd be concerned what this is going to cost out of your pocket to replace the vehicle and what your insurance implications are going forward. Finally, remember that when you go out to finance that new replacement vehicle, the finance rates may not be as favorable as the ones you had on your stolen vehicle.

As the other poster said, this may not simply be a case of benign negligence on the part of the dealership or one of their employees where they moved the car and left the keys in it. It may be a matter of collusion as the poster pointed out. And I for one wouldn't want to be bearing the the financial or insurance burden of their negligence, benign or not.

Good luck!
  • Options
    phantom338phantom338 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am new to leasing vehicles. Just have a question concerning maintenance on a leased vehicle. Do you have to bring the car back for maintenance to the dealership you bought it from, or can it be any infiniti dealer? Also, can you use an independent mechanic to perform the scheduled maintenance? d If yes, does the dealership typically ask for receipts when you return the vehicle?

Thanks
  • Options
    bythabaybythabay Member Posts: 7
    I just installed a set. Watch the video here:

http://www.infiniticare.com
  • Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I just returned my 2006 6MT sedan to the dealer (that I did NOT buy from) and bought a new 2008 G35xS...I NEVER took the car to a dealer during the 2 years I owned it..my oil changes (thats the only thing I had to do) was done by my neighborhood gas station. Received final statement from IFS and had absolutely no issues. No receipts no nothing...
  • Options
    dawnflnydawnflny Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I am sorry to post what might seem a trivial message but was hoping someone can give me some feedback. I am looking to purchase a pre-owned automobile and my budget is about 11g dollars. I have not been looking at cars in this class until a friend of a friend told me they had a 2004 G35 for sale for sale for $12,000. When I inquired I found that the car has 71,000 miles on it. It has all the bells and whistles. I have been told the oil was changed every 3,500 miles but they do not have the records. Assuming that the oil was changed regularly and I am going to decide this by the sellers reputation how many miles can one expect to get from an Infiniti G35? I am hoping to get a car that will at least last 100k miles more and am afraid I am pushing it here. However the car is VERY nice! Its this or a Sentra! Should the mileage discourage me? Thanks.
  • Options
    legendsgolferlegendsgolfer Member Posts: 13
    I have an 08 G35X. Tonight the TPMS warning light came on like I had a low tire. I checked the pressure and everything is OK. Any ideas why the light stays on. Hate to have to take it to a dealer just for that.
  • Options
    was the car parked outside? Was it cold? That happend a lot with my 2006 G35...parked outside for a while in cold weather did it...it went away most of the time as the air in the tire warmed up.
  • Options
    brioninibrionini Member Posts: 5
    I have an 03 G35 with 69,000 miles that I am selling for $15,000. My dealer has the oil change and maintenance records. Great great car, with sunroof and spoiler, silver metallic ext. and heated black leather seats and the works. I love it but need more space for family.
  • Options
    comfortzonescomfortzones Member Posts: 37
    We had to have our windshield replaced after a stone hit us from oncoming traffic last Spring. We did not go to our Infiniti service department for glass replacement, but instead used a nearby glass shop with 40 locations and 60 years of experience. Ever since the replacement, there's been a creak on the passenger side between the dashboard and the glass.
    The dealership is telling us that they have issues with replacements and use a Honda air dam when replacing the G35 windshield to prevent the issue. Infiniti refuses to stand behind their product because we had installation accomplished by a third party (whom has satisfactorily replaced two on our Mercedes SUV and another on a Range Rover we owned) – even though there is no Service Bulletin on this issue and the dealership has admitted that it's an issue.
    Has anyone else had to deal with this?
  • Options
    I am not sure what you mean when you say they use a Honda air dam when replacing the G35 windshield.
  • Options
    The "Honda Air Dam" apparently is a spacer that removes the creak in question. We're also talking to other glass companies who are saying that the issue has something to do with the "com velocity joint" in the suspension system. Whatever it is, Infiniti is not adamantly denying any responsibility.
  • Options
    The "Honda Air Dam" apparently is a spacer that removes the creak in question. We're also talking to other glass companies who are saying that the issue has something to do with the "com velocity joint" in the suspension system. Whatever it is, Infiniti is adamantly denying any responsibility.
  • Options
    radioman18radioman18 Member Posts: 10
    The tire maintenance indicator has been preset to go on at a certain mileage point, indicating Infiniti's recommendation that it's time to rotate the tires. You can manually cancel or change the mileage point.
  • Options
    phantom338phantom338 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, anybody know the part number for an oem oil filter for a 08 g35x? Are the 08 and 07 filters the same? Also where do you guys buy it from besides the dealer?

Thanks
  • Options
    I've seen some posts on this before, but I do need some insight on my particular issue. My G has only 2000 miles, and recently a very annoying dash squeak popped up. It is coming from the adjustable IP right behind the steering wheel. Its sounds like hard plastic rubbing on each other. It happens at all speeds/RPM. At standstill, if I press hard on the top of the IP, I can recreat the noise. i am not sure if cold weather triggered this or not, but it is totally unacceptable. I plan to take it in next week...but I like to take it in with some Ammo...anyone experience something similar?
  • Options
    rsaulrsaul Member Posts: 28
    I had the exact same problem (see my earlier post). My diagonsis was it was the clear-plastic housing in front of the guages was loose (so, when you are pressing on top of the IP the sound would stop). I took it into the dealer to get it fixed and it was quiet for about 20 minutes after I left, but then re-occured. My rattle is really only bad when the dash gets warm and expands. I'm in Minnesota so I probably have 6 months of quiet before I have to worry about it again. Let me know if the dealer solves your problem.
  • Options
    I will post outcome...interesting thing is that mine happened when it got cold here in Michigan...coincidence or a reason, I am not sure?? I will take it in sometime after the holidays.
  • Options
    titob74titob74 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with all (4) windows going down after I turn off the car, lock it and walk away. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it before I send it to the dealer?

Thanks
  • Options
    Thats a stupid question, but is anyone pressing and holding the unlock button on the keyfob...that will do it!
  • Options
    george113george113 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have 6000 miles on mine and in the last week I have a HUGE Squeak in the dash...Can anyone tell me if they are having the same problem.IT sounds like it is coming from the MIDDLE of the dash..THe last vehicle I had that had a squeak was a ford and I finally had to take a hit and trade it in as they couldn't fix it...Here we spend alot of money thinking I won't have these issues...I don't have confidence in these dealerships so any insight from you would be greatly appreciated..
  • Options
    mpkneipmpkneip Member Posts: 16
    My 4 year old is in the habit of resting her muddy shoes on the seat in front of her, not how I want to do things in my new 08 G35 ... what's the best source of seat covers / mats for this vehicle ?
  • Options
    ctr8ctr8 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I have a 2008 G35X and for some reason the windows (Driver and passenger - didn't tried the ones in the back) do not go up automatically. I tired to look it up in the manual but couldn't find anything. They will go down automatically though.

Will appreciate any help i can get in getting this to work.

Thanks.
  • Options
    lewiswlewisw Member Posts: 16
    Mine was a window motor (replaced under warranty) but was doing the same thing you describe. Surprised to see that on an '08. Let the ealer take a look. Also strange it is on both sides.
  • Options
    totchan55totchan55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 G35x. It feels like the front wheel hubs are binding when I turn the wheel. I mostly feel it when I turn the wheel and then try to accelerate. The car feels like it is binding/bucking.
    I just got the car, and 3 weeks ago, the Infiniti dealer replaced the front left wheel bearing under warranty, as well as the compression rods. I was only driving the car for 5 days before that, so I'm not sure if it was there before the dealer worked on it.
    I've felt this before on some 4x4 vehicles when turning, but I thought that the G35x didn't throw power to the front wheels unless necessary, so I didn't know that the hubs would engage without reason.
    Anyone have any experience with this? Any reply's would be appreciated.
  • Options
    rsaulrsaul Member Posts: 28
    In my Consumer Reports this month, there was a paragraph on a parts recall for 2007/2008 Infiniti G35s. Specifically it said “…vehicles equipped with certain occupant classification system (OCS) control units have an electronic component in the unit in the passenger seat cushion that might have been made out of specification. Under certain conditions, the signal between the OCS and the air-bag control unit (ACU) could be interrupted, and the air bag could be suppressed and not provide enough crash protection.” The article further stated that “…dealer will test signal from the OCS and ACU, and if necessary, replace seat cushion with one manufactured to specification.”

Has anyone talked to their dealer about this? I inquired last week and haven't heard back. Thanks.
  • Options
    I promised to provide you all an update on the squeak I've experienced at 2000 miles. Well, it got a lot worse, liek a fluttering sound so I finally took it in yesterday with 3K miles on it now. The technician took it for a spin with me and hear the annoying sound too.

I took a lexus loaner and then I get a surprising call from service telling me that they could NOT fix the problem, they struggled with felt tape, etc. but could still hear the sound so they are ordering me a new cluster..wow. The bigger surprise is when I picked it up yesterday afternoon and until this moment, I hear NO sound. Like taking it apart and putting it back together fixed it (temporarily maybe), though the service guy said that they could not eliminate the noise and they are ordering a new cluster.

I will not stop them from ordering one, for I have a feeling this damn noise will come back to haunt me soon!
  • Options
    yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    the fuel gauge light will not turn off. i have over 1/2 tank of gas, but the light is still on.

does anyone have any ideas? i cringe at the thought of the costs for electrical problems.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You know I'm not sure what exactly activates the little light---whether the fuel level sensor in the gas tank does that (extracted from underneath the back seat) or whether the light is activated by the gauge itself when the needle hits a certain point. I've been reading the literature but can't clarify this point so can't give you a clear shot at the problem. One wonders how the gauge can be accurately reading but the light still on, as if they were controlled by different means?

If this is all too much to deal with, maybe you can just disconnect the fuel level light bulb and forget about it, as long as your gauge is working. Then, when/if your fuel pump gives out, you can replace the whole mechanism all at once.