Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti G35 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    agm1agm1 Member Posts: 11
    For mats go to http://WeatherTech.com Best floor mats I ever had. They also carry a line of trunk liners and cargo liners. Can't help with seat covers.
    agm
  • Options
    ggale921ggale921 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 G35 with a moonroof. I'm curious as to how to clean the moonroof. Do you use window cleaner? Use car wax like rest of car? Meguiars PlastX?
  • Options
    esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    The moonroof is just glass. I use Stoner glass cleaner and newspaper to dry. Works like a charm.
  • Options
    cornhliocornhlio Member Posts: 5
    I have a leased 2007 G35 with the 18" wheel and tire package (Bridgestone Potenza REO50A). Lease is up in 7 months, and I'll probably drive 8,000 miles between now and then.

My rear passenger tire has a nail in the sidewall and can't be repaired. I could have it plugged but that's not safe.

It also looks like the tread is getting low, so I probably need to get all the tires replaced sooner or later.

Should I go ahead and replace all 4 now? Do I have to replace them with REO50A's, or can I get something lower-end? Will Infiniti flip out if there's anything else but REO50A's on there???

BTW, I live in west LA if anybody has any good recommendations in the area.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    cornhol, get the ONE tire-- let infiniti decide if you need the other 3 replaced..--why overextend your self. I would also get the OEM tire-- dont mix and match it will throw up flags..you say the others look worn--how many miles on your RIG?
  • Options
    It's unsafe to replace one tire especially if the one on the other end of the same axle is worn. Change two, preferably in the rear, and put on whatever brand you want. Infiniti will tell you if the fronts have to be changed when you turn in the car. This way you are safe.
  • Options
    g35dudeg35dude Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a new G35 a few weeks ago and still has less than 500 miles on it. Car already had to be taken back because it was delivered misaligned. Now, there's a bunch of rattles. One from the area left of the steering column and another from the sunroof area. Are these known problems? Have an appointment this week at Infiniti to have them checked out.
  • Options
    rsaulrsaul Member Posts: 28
    Well, it finally happened...got rear ended in the last snow storm we had in Minneapolis and got a few scratches on my 2008G35XS rear bumper. The scratches aren't too deep (don't think it got into the paint), but deep enough into the clear-coat that your finger-nail catches on scratches. Does anyone have any recommended scratch repair products? I used NuFinish on my wifes Pilot last summer that seemed to work pretty well, but when I applied it to my G last weekend it didn't work...I don't know if the scratches are simply more noticable since I have the Platinum paint (vs black on the Pilot) or if its just too cold outside for the NuFinish to work/bond properly (been averaging around 15 degrees during the day and gets downto 0 at night). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    I had REO50's on my s2000 lease, and now on the G. When time came to turn in the S2k, I bought two of them used on ebay (From a guy with good feedback) and had them mounted locally (Cheap)...total cost about $200. No harm, no foul...car had 14K miles and the fronts were about 50%, so the new rears matched. No comment on the old rears lol
  • Options
    rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    take a look at the dr chip web site. I have a client who auctions off autos and use's thier products for touch up
  • Options
    yogiowneryogiowner Member Posts: 117
    hi,

turns out the fuel tank was faulty. i had it replaced, under the TSB issued by Infiniti. It would have been nice if they notified me via mail or something.

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well happy ending! Good for you!
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Yea, I got the recall notice. It is at the dealership right now being checked out. It is all under warranty work. The main hassle is having to drop off my car for the day, and then having to pick it up. But they did give me a G35 loaner.
  • Options
    kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Just got my car back. Everything checked out with their test, so no action was required.
  • Options
    sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    get it buffed out.. best solution--NUFINISH does not work on my car either. I live in boston and have a guy who cleans the car-- he also buffs out any marks as needed --car looks brand new -- its an 07.
  • Options
    csholst03csholst03 Member Posts: 20
    I have an 08 G35 sedan that the instrument cluster squeaks on too that is very annoying. In my case it does it warm or cold, I live in Atlanta. I can rock it with my hand and make it squeak, but mostly a little cobbles stone bridge or street will make it go crazy squeaking. I'm embarrassed by it. I have not had the dealer look at it, but not too sure they will find anything. I watch for TSB's but have not seen any. If it is a matter of foam or felt tape I would attempt a fix, but if it is internal to the dash cluster I'd rather the dealer do something. Has anybody had any luck finding out what the source of the problem is?
  • Options
    paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    3650 miles on it now and the fluttering sound I experienced is yet to come back and it is 14 degrees outside right now. I plan to take my car for its first oil change/service and will consult them on this and to see why they also told me they could not eliminate the noise and would order and new Cluster for me, when I can't hear that sound anymore.
  • Options
    inthezone2inthezone2 Member Posts: 4
    I heard squeeking sounds also. The dealership replaced the swaybar links and hood bumpers.
  • Options
    dougie66dougie66 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 G35x. On 2 occasions the following lights came up on the dash, vdc off, slip, and abs. When the car is shut OFF a humming motor, near the firewall, drivers side, continues to run. It killed the battery the first time. The 2nd time it occured I disconnected the battery and everything reset. Why does this motor or pump continue to run when the car is OFF? Thanks. Doug
  • Options
    mjr242mjr242 Member Posts: 1
    Although this is my first post here, I used this site extensively to research my 2007 G35 purchase -- thanks to everyone on here who provides such useful advice to car novices such as myself. For those just looking to buy and are torn between dealers, for what it is worth I just had my first warranty claim and had a great experience at Pepe Infiniti in White Plains. The claim is non-obvious. I was driving about a week ago in the brutal cold and heard a loud pop. In that instant, a very large spider crack appeared on the windshield originating outwards from the point where the rearview mirror attaches. The warranty problem is that by all outward appearances it looks like the crack was caused by an impact (not covered under warranty) as opposed to a stress crack (covered). Although I know it wasn't from impact because a) I was in the car and nothing hit me, and b) the glass is absolutely smooth without the slightest impact crater, it didn't appear that way to the naked eye. After speaking to a couple of people it looked as if it would not be covered, as I had no way to prove, other than my word, that nothing blunt hit the windshield or that nothing hit the rearview mirror from the inside causing the damage. I asked for a second opinion and wound up speaking to the Service Manager at Pepe, Tom Grimont, and explained the whole situation. Although I have to admit I was not at my calmest at this point, Tom was very professional and really went to bat for me. He took a bunch of pictures, called his regional managers, etc., and was able to convince Infiniti to cover the claim. Fantastic service all around and definitely makes me more likely to not just buy another Infiniti, but to buy it from Pepe.
  • Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    We have a 05 G35X that went in for the 60K maintenance. Decided to change all of the fluids in the driveline, Transmission, front and rear Differential cases. Wow, I could not believe how well the car drove after that visit. That transmission fluid must have been like mud! That 5 speed auto drives just like new again. Super smooth and immediate shifts. If your G is at this mileage I highly recommend this service.:shades:
  • Options
    I've changed my tranny fluid at 30K, and 60K miles. I'm now at 82K and will change again at 90K per the manufacturer recommendations. I agree, the car runs like new after the change so I highly recommend following the maintenance schedule if you want your car to last long and drive like new. I'm amazed how well my car drives with 82K miles on it.
  • Options
    Hello,

The leather on my 06 g35x driver's seat is begining to crack. Also the seat is uncomfortable.

Does anyone know if I can get a new seat from Infiniti? can I change it to the better quality seat in the 2007 or 2008?
  • Options
    You should try Leatherique. It's awesome stuff for leather. Available at the company website. Of course, it won't make the seat more comfortable.
  • Options
    thanks. i will look into it. i just switched to Lexol after using Meguires. The quality is terrible.
  • Options
    jimlacoursejimlacourse Member Posts: 14
    I needed to replace the seat in my 2003 infiniti and bought one at autoparts.com
  • Options
    X_MANX_MAN Member Posts: 1
    I have a g35 which I purchased new in 2004 and have had alignment ( pulls to the right) problems since. I have change the tires a couple of times and the dealer can't figure it out problem. Help!
  • Options
    heedforshoheedforsho Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, I was hoping for some help. My 08 G35 sedan makes a small noise and strong shift in the wheel when im doing relatively sharp turns in the car. It only does it going less then 5mph hour. The best example is if Im pulling out of a parking spot and turning left. The wheel is not maxed out but when i start to turn it does a small shift movement. It like something is slipping. I have taken it to the dealership and they have said that its the stopper on the rack and pinion and that it cant be fixed cause that is how the car is made. I def do not agree with this since it wasnt happening when i bought it. Can someone advise me on if they have expierenced this or how to possibly fix it.

Thanks for your time
    -Mike
  • Options
    almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    mjr242: I too have had nothing but raves for Pepe Infiniti. From the leasing of the vehicle (can't believe end of April will be 2 years!!) to servicing needs. I have an 07 G35X Auto, had TSB 028 applied without question, and this week, at 16k mileage, brought the car in for upbrupt upshift into 3rd gear and front brake noise. They checked out the shifting problem [if you go to G35Driver.com forum you will read about TSBs - touchy throttles, etc], found a faulty tranny valve body, replaced without question, attended to the rattles in the dashboard at the steering coulmn, and found the front brake rotors slightly warped - fixed with a resurfacing. The new valve body corrected the "hard' shift into 3rd gear and in fact, makes the car run as intended. Without a doubt I would not hesitate going back to Pepe in White Plains... :)
  • Options
    sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 27
    here is question:

guys - is there a clutch in an automatic car? i say yes...the dealer says no. i know its a "torque converter". however, there is more to it than just that....

tell me what do you think on the web, out there? just for info....

i may go to pepe infiniti for service. Infiniti of Englewood is filled with limited experience kids, who leave your car in a sloppy condition.
  • Options
    rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Yes there are multiple clutches and bands. This how stuff works article will let you jump to some simple details.or explanations

http://www.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm/printable
  • Options
    thanks. i would like to hear what the others have to say.

when the service techs at englewood said there is no clutch in the car, i knew then that it is time for me to stop bringing my car to that dealership.
  • Options
    You can have a clutch for the overdrive operation of the torque converter in an automatic transmission, and you can have certain types of modern "manual-automatic" transmissions that use a manual-type clutch but shift it electronically.

Probably what you experienced is a terminology confusion. Most often, I suspect that when a repair shop addresses a consumer, they will use the term "clutch" to refer to the clutch and/or clutch pedal found in a conventional standard shift transmission.

Maybe they just didn't want to get into all the esoteric uses of the word "clutch" for electronic overdrives and "manumatic" transmissions.
  • Options
    Hi Mr. Shiftright,

You are dead on. I told the young man that the theory is the same, while we may be using different terminolgy.

Still, he was steadfast that there is no clutch in an automatic car. He asked me "are you sure about that? I've taken transmissions apart", when I told him that all cars have some sort of clutch.

I told him that I would bet my last dollar and his too (I made a joke out of it, to lower the tension abit). He stuck to his position.

Btw, thank you to blogger who gave me the "howstuffworks" link. I'd read it before, it's a great info source.

I think it's a great conversation and gives us mere car driving mortals an understanding of how our vehicles work, when we take our cars to the mechanic.

- The fan...
  • Options
    Well, I haven't gotten the scratches buffed out yet, but I got rear-ended again (I hate Minneapolis) and this time it was from a friggin F250 truck that hit me at about 5mph...enough that is seemed to compress the bumper enough to cause it to looked spidered...will buffing take this out also? Maybe I should just trade it in and get a '09 with the seven speed...
  • Options
    Nope, it needs to be re-skinned at worst and / or sanded and repainted at best. $300 to $700 bucks.
  • Options
    Thanks...luckily the "spiderd" part is on top of the bumper directly below the trunk opening so is not that noticeable...may be I'll just get the scratches buffed and see if I can live with the spiderd part. I had a similar thing happen to my 04 Acura TL...you couldn't feel it, but could just see it in the right light/angle.
  • Options
    Well, the estimate is $507. Went to the infiniti dealer recommended collison shop. Said they would need to take damaged area completely down and re-paint and feather out so its not so noticeable. My only concern is that my paint is metallic, and will the blend be noticeable? Silvers are so tough to match. Though, right on their lot was a M35X that had $20K worth of damage that they had just repaired and the car looked brand new, so maybe I should just have faith? Are there any decent aftermarket rear-diffusers/bumper/aero-kits that look good that I could look into as well?
  • Options
    It'll look fine, especially since you've seen their work and liked it.

You can't leave it as it is, because that decreases the value of your car by more than $500. (unless you plan to drive it for another 10 years).
  • Options
    Mr. Shiftright,

Here's one for you. I may have posted this before. I don't remember. I've been smelling a burning rubber/oil smell in my car for a little over one year. I took it to Infiniti of Englewood numerous times. I asked them to check oil lines, radiator, clutch, whatever would cause such a smell. Last week, I took the car in to have the gas sensor changed. I also asked them to perform an general check (fluids, filters, oil, tires, etc). They told me that they did it.

Well, I realised that I was 50 miles overdue for my oil change, so I scheduled it with my mechanic.

Guess what I found:

1. The oil was filthy (3050 miles since last change).
    2. Air filter was filthier (should have been changed months ago)
    3. Washer fluid was low

AND FOR THE FINALE....

The burning smell is being caused by a gasket valve leak, that I told them to check THREE TIMES in the past year. They always said that they couldn't find anything.

I have to find another dealer to make these repairs under the warranty.

I AM SO TOTALLY TICKED OFF.

I went to the dealer today and told him that:

1. His technicians are either incompetent or deliberately didn't perform the necessary repairs.

DON'T GO TO INFINITI OF ENGLEWOOD.

How in the hell does a qualified tech miss an oil leak? Particularly after the customer told them that there is a possible leak AND shows them where it may be?

SO PISSED. Waste of time and money.
  • Options
    Sounds like the shop manager isn't doing his job or perhaps the entire personnel situation is in chaos. My general opinion about stories like this is that a fish rots from the head on down.
  • Options
    Should I write a letter of complaint to Infiniti of North America? I've e-mailed them before and never got a response....

I spoke with the general manager directly. The service manager asked me if there was anything he could do. i told him to speak to the general manager. I'd had enough of their nonsense.

I also asked them about the cracking leather on my driver seat. He says that happens on all cars. I told him that is complete [non-permissible content removed]. After 17k miles, cleaning and conditioning (and a seat cover), it should have the amount of cracking that it does. Just Infiniti used poor quality leather in the earlier models. Had he said that, I would have been okay with that; because it's the truth.

Again, I was ticked off; patronizing s.o.b. These guys are total jackasses.

Is there anything I can do? I'm not angry anymore, but I believe that consumers should hold these stealerships to a higher standard in such a tight economy.

Maybe I'm too uptight... :confuse:
  • Options
    Well I understand your irritation. It's more a matter of finding out (asking yourself) what would reconcile you to the dealer. Now if the answer is a) nothing, or b) more than a dealer will do, then further negotiation seems pointless. I can tell you that the factory will not punish the dealer, since the dealer is basically a franchisee anyway.

Now if you presented your case to the GM and told him that all you really want is a better standard of service, and would he speak personally to the technician who signed off on your repair order, and then contact you after he's spoken to him---that might satisfy all sides and even do some good.

So anyway--here's one good tip. Don't present a big list of demands. Pick out something do-able and go for that and forget the small stuff.

Good luck with it.
  • Options
    Thank you. I will do that. Even though I was totally fed up, I maintained a high degree of respect when speaking with the GM.

Let's cross the fingers. If it goes bad, I will be on the 6 o'clock news!! :) .

I appreciate your input.
  • Options
    stevester557stevester557 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, sorry to come in on an old post but I have a 07 G35X with the exact same problem. Its a hard bang when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, usually under hard acceleration, but it can happen under fairly easy conditions also. Did you ever get an explantion or have the problem fixed? I have had mine into the dealer several times and nobody can give me any answers. Thanks.
  • Options
    biensterbienster Member Posts: 23
    I've had two G-35/6MT's. The first was a 2003 and I don't remember what tires came on the car. They lasted very well. The tires on my 2007 G-35s/6MT are Bridgestone RE50A's and they have lasted very poorly, especially the right/rear. I've never liked the ride characteristics of Bridgestones so after hours of discussion with my dealer, Michelin Tires, and Infiniti technical assistance I selected a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Plus AS's. I was able to get the original size (245/45ZR18) for the rears but had to substitue 235/45ZR18 for the original 225/50ZR18 on the front. The replacement tires are a dream. Ride is much better and handling is greatly improved. The treadwear rating is 420 compared to 140 so I expect much better wear. Tires ran under $300 each at Costco plus a Michelin $70.00 direct credit. Includes nitrogen fill and road hazzard warranty.
  • Options
    biensterbienster Member Posts: 23
    I recently purchased and added directly to my Music Box an extended play album with 24 tracks on it. When I played it back I discovered the last three tracks were defective. I returned the album to the place of purchase and received a good copy. When I got home I deleted the defective album and attempted to load the good one. Instead of loading the new album the system retreived the old one from the deleted files. Nothing in the manual explains how to correct this problem. The guru at my Infiniti dealer was unable to help me either. I sent an email to Infiniti and am awaiting a reply. I can't believe that I'm the only person who has ever had a defective CD that they wanted to replace.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    jenna_mjenna_m Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a used G35. Probably an '05 with between 60K and 75K. My boyfriend tells me that it is very expensive to service and repair an Infiniti. I've looked through past forums and see that servicing isn't a problem as long as the dealer is avoided, but what about replacing brakes? If I plan on driving this car for the next 4 - 5 years and putting another 100K on it, should I plan on big repairs?

I'd just like some general advice on this.

Thanks!
  • Options
    pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    Someone can correct me on this, but Wards Automotive Magazine in 1994 began ranking the 10 best automotive engines available for sale in the US market. The current base price ceiling limits engines for consideration to cars with a base sticker price of $54,000 or less.

The Nissan VQ series V6 engines have been in the top 10 every year since the inception of Ward's rankings. The Nissan engine is the only one that has appeared all 14 years. That is the motor that is in the G35 and G37.

Getting your car repaired at the Infinity dealership is definitely the most expensive way to go. You would hope they have top notch diagnostics and the trained certified mechanics with Infinity-specific ecperience to warrant their prices. However, I have been using the same private mechanic for 15 years for all of my vehicles on non-warranty repairs..

Infinity would see my (wife's) 2004 G35 Coupe for warranty work only. The tire pressure monitoring system acted up (once) since I took delivery on the car 9/03. And there was a fuel filler hose replaced under warranty recall. I did not take out the extended warranty, but there hasn't been any non-warranty work. HOWEVER, my car only has 31,000 miles on it.

Re brakes.....The 2003-2004 Gs had very soft brake pads that went South so quickly, taking the rotors with them, that the factory elected to cover post purchase any brake repairs within 3 years or 36,000 miles of purchase. I had that done, no charge. Owners were seeing the pads worn to the replacement point in as little as 7,000 miles, but it seemed 11,000-18,000 miles was more the norm. Between car washes, the wheels would be covered in brake dust, so you knew something was wearing pretty quickly. I am fairly certain that the brake problem was rectified for the years of G you are considering.

You didn't say whether you are considering a Sedan or a Coupe. This forum is filled with posts from folks that drive Coupes, and they eat the very expensive oem summer tires quickly. Most don't get 20,000 miles on them. Part of the problem might be attributed to aggressive driving. But if my memory serves me correctly, there is no adjustment in the front end for either caster or camber, can't remember which. The front tires wear more quickly than the rears, but before replacement time you may find the excessive noise from the worn tires on a Coupe driving you nuts. The Coupes also have different size tires on the front than on the rear, so front to rear tire rotation is out.

It might not be a bad idea to check out a current Consumer Reports used car buying guide to review problem areas for the G year and type you are interested in. The statistics compiled for the report are allegedly from car owners like myself who subscribe to the magazine and report on the 14 functional areas of the car. I have filled out those surveys, and I hate owner surveys.

Hope this stuff helps. I would be tempted to buy a used G if I were in the market. Like you, I plan on driving this car till it hits 11-12 years old like I have done with my cars for decades. Usually the cars are only at the 115,000 mark or so as my wife and I don't put a lot of miles on our cars. While my wife drives the G (newer car), I drive the hand me dowms, currently a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora with the Autobahn package at 106,000 miles. Love it.

Jack
  • Options
    darrinzramzdarrinzramz Member Posts: 24
    YES!!! ,I would buy one,I bought a 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan and I love it!!!,thought it only had one owner,and only 27,000mi on it!!.I got lucky!!!,as for the brakes YES!!!they wear out way too fast!!!,I would recommend having a quailty mechanic(I have one)who knows how to do brakes (which most do).Look on line for Hawk performance street brake pads and get matching rotors.I've been told that they last about:30,000-40,000miles(depending on how hard you are on your brakes when stopping!!)The stock brakes I got installed my dealer only will last about:10,000-15,000miles!!(not good!!)Also I agree the dealer labor rates are very high!!!,my mech.only charges me about:$80.00 to do all 4 brakes!!!,remember the brake pads must be seasoned!!!(you mech.should know how to do this).So your brakes SHOULD LAST:approx.40,000-50,000mi,Darrin