Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    widerightwideright Member Posts: 1
    Thank you all for your input into these forums. It was big help.

I purchased a ’05 MDX w/ Nav (Blk/Camel) for 40,699. The lic fee is included but not the tax. I purchased via a car broker in Fresno, CA and they are delivering the car and the loan documents to my work in the morning. The purchase phone call was made approx 2 weeks ago and took approx 30 minutes. I was going to borrow 33K (10k down) from Wells Fargo at 4.4% but the car broker was able to get the SAME loan for 3.45%. All warranties are the same. I paid $200 to have the car delivered to my door.

Watching my brother go through the hassle of buying his Lexus from the dealership, I will never go through the hassle of buying “on the lot” again.
  • Options
    texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I was considering buying an '04 model, but was puzzled about the value. With the '05's going around $1000 over invoice, I would think that an '04 is worth $2000-$3000 under invoice just based on the devaluation of a one year old model. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Your looking at a luxery suv. Acura is not quick to devalue cars just to get rid of them. You could find that with a lot of cars right now [mostly domestic makes] but not acura. If it get's down that low there won't be any left. There are descent incentives on the fx35 right now, also the murano.
  • Options
    paulyppaulyp Member Posts: 2
    I have the current offer on the table for an 05 MDX Touring w/ Navi,RES and optional running boards at an Acura Dealer in the Boston area.
    $500.00 per month(actual pymt with all fees included) for 42 months
    $3,500 down payment
    12k/miles per year
    I think this is the best I can do and have been to two other Acura Dealers locally, any thoughts on how this lease deal compares to what others are seeing out there.
    Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    Which car broker would be that? and how much will be fee?
  • Options
    I was wondering where people live that are getting deals for $1000 over invoice or better? I'm looking in Houston, and they are taking off a little more than $1000 off MSRP. Anybody been able to do $1000 over invoice in Texas?
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Sterling MCcall on 59 as of about a week ago had a lot of 04's. They have $1000.00 manufactere hold back.
  • Options
    Yeah... they have quite a few, but they don't appear that interested in pushing them off the lot. For depreciation purposes, I feel like I should get invoice or below for an '04. They would probably sell for a little over $1000 above invoice. Looks like in Ohio they are selling '05's cheaper than Texas.
  • Options
    jspikeyjspikey Member Posts: 21
    I bought a 2004 Premium model with a roof rack for $32,995.00. I shoped around other dealers using internet price comparison. I then went to the dealer and gave them the price I found and haggled with them to beat the price. At one dealer close to my work, they were offering me $33,700.00 first but another dealer quoted me lower. They offered to beat the price and I accepted it, since they are closer and I can get my free car wash any day. I payed cash for my MDX so I didn't have to worry about the dealership scamming me on the financing. If you want add ons like side step, roof rack, etc. I suggest you buy the parts on the internet and have it installed. I installed a chrome Acura sidestep on my silver MDX and it rocks. Good luck!
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Deal only with the internet sales manager. Request a qoute through edmunds or directly through there website. You should be able to get better results there. Also if you want to go in have a price in mind and don't settle for anything else. Also try expanding your search to dallas as I had to do that when buying my infiniti and it saved me 3k on the total deal.
  • Options
    gocanongocanon Member Posts: 10
    I have an offer for 2005MDX + NAV for Edmunds invoice + $1000. Is this a good deal? Anyone here has done better.
  • Options
    dprosadprosa Member Posts: 17
    jspikey,
    would you mind naming the dealers that you found your 2004 in. I live near Open Road Acura on Route 18, work by Precision Acura in Princeton and can easily get to Acura of Ocean.
    thanks
    Also where did you get your Chrome side steps, I am looking to bargain for just the Premium Model and get my side steps off the internet. I heard HondaAcuraworld is a good site
    thanks
    Danny
  • Options
    jim18jim18 Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from Cleveland Acura with a 2005 MDX Touring w Nav for $ 750 over invoice. I live in N. VA and the flight was $70 bucks. Dealer is a $7 cab ride about 5 mins from the Cleveland airport. Brand new dealer (3 mos old.) Great place, Great people. They were waiting for me and spent lots of time reviewing all the many details of the car, nav system, xm radio, etc. Trip back was great listening to xm radio and getting to know the nav system and voice activated controls. Cost was to the penny, paid cash and out the door. What a great buying experience. All I have to do is register here in VA and pay the sales tax. Sure beats the slow torture of buying the conventional way from a local dealer.
  • Options
    attarattar Member Posts: 8
    Jspikey,

You have done very good job, However, is this price for Touring with Nav and DVD. if this the case, Please provide us the dealership name, city and State.

I will fly from Tx to buy one.

Thank you
  • Options
    austindeanaustindean Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a new 2004 at D. McDavid in Austin, and also at used 2004 at Sterling. Neither dealer seems to want to negotiate down on the fact that 2005's are available and 2004 should be somewhat depreciated by now. What's the "magic" date when 2004's are really a one-year old car and should have their price lowered?
    Also, what's meant by a 'Manufacturer holdback?"
    Cheers!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Take a look at this: Dealer holdback

tidester, host
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Congrats on your purchase! I did the same thing last year with Lindsay Acura in Columbus Ohio(I live in DC). Just curious: what was the best deal that you received from the area dealers?
  • Options
    jim18jim18 Member Posts: 2
    I went to Lindsay first (internet) based on info on this board, and their number wasn't real competitive, so than went to Cleveland Acura (internet) to get the 750 over invoice quote. Never bothered going to local dealers as they are all talking MSRP or a little less for 05's so just avoided that hassle and took a quick flight to Cleveland. Thanks to all the info on this board I saved a bunch. Now I have to register and pay the VA sales tax and I'm done!
  • Options
    Looks like demand is much bigger in Texas than other places. I just bought an '04 Touring for $35,100 in Houston at Sterling. Got an offer for $34,702 in Arlington, but no one in Houston would match. I needed a car in a hurry, so I had to make a deal. If you have time, I'd pull up the Acura websites around the state and see what you can do. If you don't mind driving, try pulling up the surrounding states. If you aren't particular about color, use time as your bargaining chip. I think they do want to move these off the lot. If the rest of the counry is any indication. The prices will be dropping in Texas as well.
  • Options
    buyansuvbuyansuv Member Posts: 3
    Whats the out of the door price people are paying for the 05 touring package + Nav in the bay area?
  • Options
    Is it true that if you buy a car from out of state you will have to pay state taxes when it brought to the state where you live for e.g CA
  • Options
    lefty2lefty2 Member Posts: 6
    I am also interested in what you need to know, if you get the informantion please pass it on
  • Options
    hnormanhnorman Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased a 2005 MDX from any Arizona dealer? What are the details?

Howard
  • Options
    Usually you pay state taxes where you register your vehicle. Here in Washington, DC, there are only two or three new car dealers in the city, everyone is in MD or VA. If you are a DC resident, you will buy your car in MD or VA, but you pay DC sales tax for DC Tags. When we bought our MDX from Lindsay in Columbus, Ohio, we did not pay Ohio sales tax, we paid DC. The only difference was that if you buy from a MD or VA dealer, they handle all of your paperwork for getting DC tags. By buying from an Ohio dealer, we had to handle it ourselves, but that was not a problem.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    eddiemac,

Remind me of the deal you got on your MDX from Lindsey. We are travelling from DC up to Pa for the Thanksgiving holiday and I'm considering driving back in a 2005 MDX Touring w/NAv & DVD from my hometown dealer at around $750-$1,000 over invoice.
  • Options
    check out post# 564. Remember, we got our deal in august of 2003. The list at the time was $42,500. We paid $40,600 with free cargo cover, cargo tray, wheel locks, allseason mats. Black side rails were $559, and $80 for body side molding. Delivery to the house was free, and we registered the vehicle at DC DMV ourselves. I don't know about accessories, but Lindsay is currently at $850 over invoice on MDX's and TL's. Good luck on your purchase. By the way, we got the touring model w/nav and dvd.
  • Options
    lbellelbelle Member Posts: 3
    I've heard Stevens Creek Acura is going for under $1000 over invoice. However, I bought mine through a broker, so can't offer first hand experience. Stevens Creek does have a great reputation for both sales and service, however.
  • Options
    Don't know about Cars Direct. However, as to differences between the '04 and '05, they are minimal. I bought an '05 due to concerns about various noises in the '04 models. Some with '04s have the noise issues (gas tank slosh, brake clunking, etc). Road noise does seem to have been an issue universally. It all depends on whether or not road noise is a problem to you. It is for me, as I want to hear my stereo (love the Satellite btw). They have done amazing things to abate road/wind noise in the '05. That's important to me, but may not be to you. If not, go for the '04. Still a great car and a great value!!
  • Options
    Yep. The State Board of Equalization people are quite crafty. If they don't get the info from the dealership, somehow, they will find you when you register, insure etc. They could find Bin Laden if he bought a car.
  • Options
    newenglandmdxnewenglandmdx Member Posts: 3
    Did you finalize the deal for $500 per month for the 2005 MDX Touring +Nav + RES? What fees were included in this payment? Can you share the dealership name that you ended up leasing from?

What Base Capital Cost (purchase price to leasing company) did they use prior to the $3500 down payment (or capital reduction cost?)

I am looking at the exact same package. Refer to posting #1660 for details.
  • Options
    v4120v4120 Member Posts: 5
    Got fo $200 over dealer invoice w/ wheel locks and cargo cover. Any thoughts on what kind of deal I got?
  • Options
    januszjjanuszj Member Posts: 6
    I think it's a great deal. Where are you located? I am looking to buy exactly the same one. So far the best deal in NJ was $900 over dealer invoice (without the locks and cover). I wonder if there are any incentives coming up in December.
  • Options
    newenglandmdxnewenglandmdx Member Posts: 3
    $200 over invoice for the 05 MDX with Nav and RES appears to be a great deal. From what I have been seeing in New England, dealers are saying they want to make $1400 over invoice but will take $800-$1000 over invoice when pushed. (not including wheel locks and cargo cover).

What state and dealer location?
  • Options
    buyasuvbuyasuv Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote for $500 over invoice for 05 Touring with Nav in bay area. (No accesories)
    Is this a good deal? Anyone did better than this?
  • Options
    lefty2lefty2 Member Posts: 6
    What dealership? sounds like a very fair price
  • Options
    franknyc1franknyc1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I know I am probably not posting this in the correct format, but I need help. I am looking to lease a 2005 MDX in NJ and I really do not like putting down payments, buyout at the end etc. I am leasing for the pure fact of "renting" an auto and returning it afterwards.

My dealer is offering me an 05 Base Model for $485 per month, with $250 due at pickup of the car. Does this sound like a good deal on an MDX? He is also willing to throw in a rear DVD player (probably not highest quality but its better than nothing.) Any input on this deal? Thanks a bunch.

Frank
  • Options
    I live in Southern California. So the dude in N.J. you probabaly are S.O.L. The Bay area people if it is worth the drive I purchased it at Tustin Acura in Orange County.
  • Options
    Can you please post who the dealer is in the bay area?
  • Options
    sunnyvale
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi franknyc1, welcome to the forums. You did fine for your first post! You might get more leasing advice in our Lease Questions discussion, but you'll want to provide more info, like the terms of your lease (24 months? 36 months?). You're definitely getting a good deal as far as cash due at signing is concerned, and if you're leasing for 36 months or less, your payment is attractive. But you'll get more advice in the leasing discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    kenarrikenarri Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how much discount you get if you're Costco member? I was told by a salesman there is a special price for members. Thanks.
  • Options
    You might also try our Purchasing Programs (Costco, etc) discussion.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    paulyppaulyp Member Posts: 2
    We did end up finalizing the lease deal for the 05 MDX with NAV&RES. Do not take delivery for 10-14 days since dealership did not have color we wanted(Silver with Ebony interior). Lease details from purchase agreement below. Again, lease is for 42 months 12k/per yr. 15cent
    (mileage penalty).
    Residual Value: $25,001.20
    Base Monthly Payment: $476.19
    Sales Tax: $23.81
    Total Monthly Payment:$500.00
    Security Deposit: $0
    Bank Acquisition Fee: $595.00
    Capital Cost Reduction: $1990.95
    Tax on Cap Cost Reduction: $129.30
    Plates and Registration: $284.75
    Total Amount Due: $3,500.00(Down Payment)
    Total Monthly Payment:$500.00

Acura of Boston
    Soldiers Field Road
    Brighton, MA

Good Luck
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I am getting word that they are closer to MSRP than invoice around here still. Has anybody on here bought recently in MN that could share their details? Thanks.
  • Options
    Yeah,

I went through Costco first and the dealership gave me a price $600 over dealer invoice not including fees. It was a good starting place to see who would beat it. I got Touring + DVD + NAV. Black on black.
  • Options
    vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    I just bought a 2005 base model--steel blue over quartz, no add-ons. Picked it up for 35k plus 299 doc fees. The purchase price was average, but they gave me only $800 less than what I paid for my trade 7200 miles/7 months ago.

Most pleasant in-person deal I ever encountered: no badgering, no hawking warranties, no BS. I kept waiting for the "bad news" that would destroy the deal, but it never came. We were in and out of Beaudry Acura (Tucson) in 2 hours.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    I used a buying service to purchase an 05 mdx touring. I got a desert rock mdx touring with black side steps, wide body side molding, cargo tray , and all season mats for $37167.52 . This was invoice for the 05 mdx and the accessories broke out to: sidesteps for $530 installed, molding for $250 installed, cargo tray for $105, and mats for $108. Doc fees were $100. This was an end of the month deal. The buying service cost me $350. I live in Indiana and am driving to Columbus, Ohio this Saturday to pick it up. Email me if you want the name of the buying service, I believe they are based in New Jersey, but have contacts all around. My mdx does not have nav or res.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I went to Stevens Creek Acura in Santa Clara. I had a Capital One check with me and after we agreed on the price they said I have to fill up a credit application. I said I already have applied for credit and got a check with me. They said they can't sell the car with out a new credit application for Acura/Dealer financing. Is this normal? The guy told me that sometimes that Capital One takes money back after the check is cleared. I find it hard to believe this.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
  • Options
    Sounds fishy. I bought a TL in 2001, my wife bought a MDX in 2003. Two different dealers, two different states, MD and Ohio, we live in Wash. DC. We NEVER filled out a credit application, we finaced both cars thru our credit union, and neither dealer asked us to fill out an application.
  • Options
    I believe we had a conversation awhile back about presenting a financing check to a dealership in our Questions About Financing New Vehicles discussion. Since your question isn't specific to the MDX, you might check there as well.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR