Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rdh1rdh1 Member Posts: 1
    I don't see the MDX price premium MDX as $10k; apples-to-apples it is probably closer to $4k.

We recently purchased the 04 MDX w/ NAV & RES and were initially biased toward the Pilot for all the reasons you mention. When I test drove the Pilot EX-L back-to-back to the base MDX I could feel where extra money went. The MDX felt much more refined and "buttoned down". We tend to purchase vehicles for the long-term so the price premium seemed worthwhile to us.

Other factors were the 48/50k warranty vs 36/36k on the Honda (largely a moot point w/ Honda but definitely worth something). Also the 04 MDX had more power than the Pilot (265hp vs 240).

You can't get the NAV on the MDX without stepping up to the touring package. If you have to have the NAV and price is an issue I can see where the Honda makes sense. Personally I would have gone for the base MDX over the Pilot w/ Nav.
  • Options
    scdatm1scdatm1 Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I just bought an 04 Base MDX yesterday for $200 over invoice. My wife is the type who only wants the basic stuff and would have been happy with 4 wheels and something to sit in. However, I wanted a SUV that was safer and bigger than the small car she drives now.

We looked at the RX 330, but they don't offer a base model of any type, so we were looking at an extra 2,3, or 4 thousand more dollars for extras my wife doesn't care about. Also, my 3 priorities for a vehicle were matched by both the MDX and the RX 330. 1. Safety 2. Reliability 3. Comfort

Also, I researched the Pilot and since it doesn't have side airbags, I didn't even bother test driving one. I was involved in a major accident recently and if a car costs more for more safety features, then I am willing to spend the money. While no one should live in a bubble, safe from everyday hazards, I'd like to do what I can to make sure my family is safe. I never used to think like that before my accident, but things like that tend to wake a person up.
  • Options
    vetpathologistvetpathologist Member Posts: 30
    I was in the same dilemma trying to choose between the MDX and Pilot, but for just under 40K I got the MDX with Nav and Res. A similarly equipped Pilot would be close to 36 or 37K. Moreover, the Nav in the Pilot is the older version (no voice, smaller LCD etc) and you cannot get both Nav and RES in the Pilot. The aftermarket RES (about $1800) cannot be integrated into the other controls in the dash (stand alone system)and does not come with remote or headphones (extras). Just like anything else, you get what you pay for! I have a Acura TL with the older Nav and the MDX has significant upgrades.
  • Options
    zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    I am interested in 2005 MDX, Touring/Navigation, as I want Bigger screen Entertainment system!

Debating between acura and Lexus gx470(2005 not available yet)

Has any one triee costoco purchasing services for either?

I think, it is last year for current MDX while more few years for lexus, till they get new model revisions?
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    We bought a base MDX over a Pilot one month ago. At that time I wrote why the $5K difference was worth it. I'll try to find it.
  • Options
    pjm3pjm3 Member Posts: 1
    The MDX is nice, but the Lexus RX 330 is by far a superior vehicle. It drives better, it is quiet, and uses the interior space better than the MDX
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I will be the lone one to report that I choose the pilot the difference between an EX-L and base MDX for 05 is XM radio and Side "Curtain" Airbags. The Pilot Does have side seat mounted airbags. I chose the pilot for a couple reasons. 1) It has more passenger and Cargo Space
    2) I already own an Inifiniti FX35 So I have my "Luxury Vehicle" and looked more to the pilot as a Family Hauler/Utility Vehicle.
    3) My EX-L RES (paid 30k) was about 7k less than the MDX-RES they wanted about 37k.

If you don't care about luxury and need space and utility buy the pilot and get a honda care 7/yr 100k warranty and pocket about 3-4k or more.

If this will be "THE" Vehicle in your household and you are looking to step up the MDX may be worth the extra $$$ to you.
  • Options
    yrneh1yrneh1 Member Posts: 25
    Each to his own, but I hate the funky styling and mushy steering of Lexus.

And I don't know where you got your data from, but MDX has more interior room than RX330 by far.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Pilot EXL Vs. 2004 MDX base...

2004 MDX base has:
    side curtain air bags w/ rollover detection
    17" wheels
    nicer interior
    better ride quality
    quieter interior
    better stereo
    moonroof
    console shifter
    vehicle stability control
    newer transmission design
    higher Consumer Reports reliability rating (tops)
    slightly better Insurance Institute floor intrusion crash statistics
    and lots of Acura touches like delayed interior lighting, longer warranty, higher level of service, etc.
  • Options
    man_007man_007 Member Posts: 9
    jaffman,

I bought and serviced my TL at Rallye Acura in LI. I am happy with them so far. I am looking to replace my 2000 TL with 2005 MDX. In fact I am going there today to talk to the same sale person that sold me my TL. I will let you know how it went. ttyl
  • Options
    jaffmanjaffman Member Posts: 51
    Would really be interested in your experience. Thank you, in advance, for sharing it.

In the meantime, the best lease quotes on a 2005 TL with NAV came from the two dealers in Ohio, Acura of Cleveland and Lindsay Acura. If the dealers cant at least match it around here, it would pay for me to fly out there and drive back.

I plan to trade my Lexus RX 300 in for a 2005 MDX soon as well. Can anyone excuse my ignorance and tell me if there is any way I can get an "Acura Loyalty" discount? Thanks.
  • Options
    gooblegooble Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Anyone recently bought a 2005 MDX with Touring/Nav/DVD in the San Jose, San Francisco area? If you don't mind, how much did you pay for it. And would you recommend your dealer?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    stevez2stevez2 Member Posts: 3
    Does the under 40k include the destination chg? Im getting $900 above invoice for MDX with NAV. Still not sure if this is a good price when Pilot is now carrying all the MDX attributes except for the memory seats, update NAV, and looks. As well as a brand new 2006 redesign of the MDX with a bigger 3.8L engine (as per Motor Trend and other mag. websites)

One thing for sure.... this SUV price will continue to drop. Even to invoice by Spring.

Anyone getting better prices for the 2005 MDX with NAV? Thx!
  • Options
    gooblegooble Member Posts: 5
    sagemb

which dealer in Oakland CA did you purchase this car at? Do you have the name of the sales person there that you worked with?
  • Options
    murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    Hi All,

I came back to townhall after about a year. This time I am planning to buy Acura MDX and would like to know, if anyone paid very less above invoice and the dealers they have gone through in and around Virginia. I live in Richmond, VA and travelled to Greensboro, NC to get my Honday Odyssey last year. So, I don't mind travelling even upto NJ, if the deals is good.

Any feedback you all could provide will be really helpful.

Yours,

Murmal.
  • Options
    bass52bass52 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking at the 2004 MDX without the navigation or dvd, just the base touring. I live in the Houston area and was wondering what others were being quoted for this model in the Houston area? The edmunds invoice is 35,132 but I figured that since the dealers were probably anxious to get rid of their stock of 04's, perhaps I could even do better than invoice? Just checking, thanks
  • Options
    kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    Done deal $750 over edmunds Invoice
  • Options
    thenewsthenews Member Posts: 11
    What features? DVD? NAV? Exact price breakdown? Which area did you purchase from? State? County? Dealer? Special order? Was it stock? Dealer sentiment? Where dealers anxious to deal? I see alot of 2004 stock on the lots here in SoCal.
  • Options
    I just bought a base MDX last week in Houston. I test drove it at an Acura dealership and told them what I wanted as a drive out (under $36 total). We got to 36,300, which was $600 over incoice.

The next day I emailed different dealers and told them my offer and asked if they could beat it. Some did, and others got mad b/c we were shopping around. My wife told them, "you bet, if we're going to spend close to $40,000, we're going to try and get the best offer possible".

Anyway, we got offered $35,900 walkout from another dealer across town. I then called the salesman who spent over 2 hours with us the previous day and told him this: Good news is we are buying a MDX, the bad news is someone else beat your offer. I'd like to buy the SUV from you since you spent your time with us yesterday, so if you can match the $35,900, we'll be right over and buy it. We did exactly that...
  • Options
    kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    Stock 2005 Touring w/o nav or RES Steel blue with stone MSRP $ 40095. Negotiated price $36924 + tax title and $100 documentation fee. Also got 25% disc off dealer price which includes install on spoiler, molding, and sunroof wind deflector.
    The new Acura dealer in Cleveland
  • Options
    crushcrush Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for 2005 MDX with NAV and RES. I am looking for any buyers experience and sample deals in and around DC area. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    consumer reports invoice is $32792.00
  • Options
    babuyerbabuyer Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy an 05 MDX with touring and Nav in the Bay Area (San Jose, CA + vicinity). Best quote I am getting is $40K (~ 1.5K over Edmunds invoice). Anyone get a better price recently?
  • Options
    babuyerbabuyer Member Posts: 2
    I am getting a quote for 40K (Touring + Nav) in San Jose. No DVD. On the road quote was ~43.8K..if you know of a better deal, I'd appreciate feedback...
  • Options
    I bought it from john eagle acura on hwy 6 and I-10. You can probably get a better deal elsewhere, but they will match it.

good luck
  • Options
    I didn't purchase one I was referring to the person who looks as if they paid msrp on a base model and thought they got invoice.I will be leasing one for my wife around august of next year.
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Can anyone provide feedback for Orlando area (central florida) Acura dealers?

TIA

Dean
  • Options
    bylbyl Member Posts: 1
    Today I bought a 2004 MDX base model with $1000 below invoice. The trick? In the past few days, I were able to get quotes from a few dealers with $500 below invoice; I think they all are trying to move 2004 models. Today, 11/2/04, Acura annouced $1000 marketing support on all 2004 MDXs (good until 1/5/05). I think that this is why one dealer is willing to drop another $500 and I took it. At this moment, I am satisfied since the dealer was willing to pass $500 out of the $1000 marketing support to me. So, you may want to move fast if you want to get good price on 2004 models or the inventories may shrink fast and you may end up with less choices or having to buy 2005 models, to which the price is harder to negotiate. For me, there is only minor difference between 2004 MDS base model and 2005 base model (XM satellite ratio and gas tank size) and it does not matter that much. BTW, the XM satellite costs $10/month to subscribe, which may not be worth it. Good luck to you shopping.
  • Options
    hawaii1hawaii1 Member Posts: 25
    Any advice on whether MDX is comfortable on back, I have back issues and am in the process of deciding on whether to get MDX or 05 Odyessy. Had 2002 Odyessy, lease ran out this summer bought a big SUV but husband is going to drive this and I will drive whatever we get.
  • Options
    appuappu Member Posts: 27
    Does any dealer in NJ/NY still has 2004 base model in stock?
  • Options
    Which state are you in? Please share the dealer name from which you bought your 2004 base model?
  • Options
    dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    How did it go? I am considering either this dealer or Island Acura. Are you leasing or buying, and what was the price you were quoted?
    Please also describe how the vehicle you were quoted on was equipped.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    seed1seed1 Member Posts: 1
    I see a couple of messages from people about buying 2004 MDXs - I thought it might be too late in the year to do that. At least, Los Gatos Acura (I live in the Bay Area)claims to have no 2004s left on the lot. I didn't think I would be very succesful knocking down the sticker price for a 2005, so would love to get a deal on a 2004. Would be interested in hearing from anyone in my area who was able to find a new 2004.
  • Options
    djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    We bought an MDX last month. I think the seats are very comfortable but we haven't taken a really long drive it in yet.
       Unfortunately, back problems make each car very unique to the driver.
       Personally, I still think German cars have the best seats. The ML320 I had had great seats, everything else was lousy, but great seats. Our Audi A4 has 4 way power lumbar adjustment and is really comfortable but some people with back problems won't find sitting that low comfortable.
       Your problem is finding a dealer who would let you take a long test drive to see. Maybe try a dealer with a used one who wouldn't mind a 100 miles on a used car if you were buying a new one.
       The MDX is so nice I would definitely recommend trying one.
  • Options
    vshahvshah Member Posts: 6
    If anyone has purchased a 05 Touring in Seattle or neighbouring area, please provide some details on the pricing and dealers. I am in the market to get a 05 Touring.
  • Options
    hawaii1hawaii1 Member Posts: 25
    We are going to look at MDX today, did you ever try the seats in a volvo? I want to look at XC90 again but still undecided if enough room for 3 kids.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For questions about the vehicle that aren't related to pricing and shopping experience, please ask in the regular Acura MDX topic (or Volvo XC90 SUV, as the case may be). That's the best place to ask about options, space, and reliability. Let's reserve this one for pricing.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    dmdmdmdm Member Posts: 1
    We bought the first 2005 that Los Gatos Acura had delivered (I wanted the hands free phone). At the time they said they were out of 2004s. Have you tried Stevens Creek Acura? When I went by about a month ago, they had a ton of 2004s.

FWIW, while we didn't get a whole lot off of the sticker at LG Acura, they did give us what we wanted for our trade in and brought down the price of accessories significantly. We would buy from them again any day.
  • Options
    wlaswlas Member Posts: 3
    I offer a car buying service, and have just ordered an 05 MDX Touring w/NAV (MSRP $42,845). I was able to get the dealer to sell me the car for $39,500 on an ordered unit. My customer just picked it up yesterday and loves it!
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Member Posts: 67
    I'm looking for a touring with nav.
  • Options
    shivstershivster Member Posts: 2
    Was able to buy this for over $3500 under MSRP in LA area. Is there a glut of 2005s on the horizon? Anyone do better?
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I talked to Lindsay Acura in Columbus about the 05 TL, and was told that they are selling all 2005 TL's and MDX's for $850 over invoice. I(for my wife) purchased a 2003 MDX last year from them and had it delivered to my home in Washington, DC. I checked the DC area dealers at that time, and they were not willing to go as low as Lindsay did, so we went with Lindsay. The process was smooth, and I recommend it to anyone who is being quoted a higher price.
  • Options
    kaygeekaygee Member Posts: 4
    Hi Shivster,

I am living in LA area and very interested in buying MDX with touring and NAV/DVD. Please let me know which dealership in LA did you get yours.
    Thanks, KG
  • Options
    What are the prices in NJ for the 2005 base model?
    Some dealers still have 2004 in stock, any idea what will be a good price to buy those.
  • Options
    shivstershivster Member Posts: 2
    Try Keyes Acura in Van Nuys. Sales service was mediocre, but price was good. I didn't get the DVD. Was able to get an internet price from a few dealers (about $800 or so over invoice) and negotiate down from there. I bet you could go even lower than me depending on how many they hav on the lot. Another good bet is probably Cerritos Acura. These are the two high volume dealerships in SoCal.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. Will give them a try.
  • Options
    zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    Are these Guys VAn NUYS in CA ? Or?
  • Options
    in van nuys, California
  • Options
    Have anyone purchased a vehicle through Carsdirect.com before? If so, please describe your experience/recommendations? I looked up MDX in carsdirect.com and came across one with NAV and DVD, but 2004 for $500 below invoice ($38,507). I was wondering if I should do business with them (in terms of reliable and trustworthy). Plus, I don't know if I miss out anything by buying a 2004 instead of 2005. Is there any significant differences between 2004 and 2205 MDX? Thanks in advance for any input..
  • Options
    I'm not sure about carsdirect.com, but some of the differences betwwen 04-05 are as follows
    Minimal in the base ones, 05 comes with satelite radio [first month free.]After that you need to move to the touring which comes with hands free phone, [must have blue tooth phone] and on star. The advantage over in an 04 right now is that if you can find one, you should be able to negotiate well under dealer invoice. I believe acura has a $1000.00 hold back right now on 04's. Go to new cars section here on edminds, select 04 mdx, and then click incentives. In my opinion Acura offers most car for the money. Good luck.