Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    carmavencarmaven Member Posts: 6
    Looking to purchase touring with Navi and the following accessories, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray, wood grain panel, tailgate spoiler,side steps, moonroof visor, body side molding.
    Best price so far is $41,000. I figured based on invoice and dealer making $600, add in list for accessories and it comes to $40,995. I realize there is a big markup on accessories, just wondering what others have paid for similar model or suggestions
  • Options
    fred15fred15 Member Posts: 1
    In central Florida the dealer told me that the costco discount amounted to $1,000 off MSRP.
  • Options
    unclemiltunclemilt Member Posts: 2
    I checked out the Costco price here in San Diego and found it to be invoice + $2,000 with accessories available with a 15% discount off significantly inflated prices.

Instead, I bought my 2005 Touring for invoice + $500 from Keyes Acura in Van Nuys. It didn't hurt that I found exactly what I was looking for sitting on their lot.
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Where do you live? The prices vary depending on what part of the US you live in. As far as accessories, When I purchased our MDX in 2003, the cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray, all season mats, and wheel locks were free, black side steps were $559 installed, and body side molding was $80 installed. I did not get the other items that you are interested in.

When you negotiate, ask them to throw in the accessories you want. Also, go to www.hondacuraworld.com, and print out their MDX accessory price list. They sell accessories with free shipping, and they are cheaper than the dealer. Take the list with you to the dealer when you make your purchase. If you cannot get the items for free, ask them to match the price on your sheet. If they refuse, you can order the accessories from the website and either 1. Install them yourself(they have the instructions) or 2. Have any Acura service department install them for you. If you do that, you will just pay their labor rate.
  • Options
    I live in NJ. Still negotiating with a few dealers. They all claim the markup on accessories is not that much but all are higher then what is quoted on the Acura website. $49 for wheel locks and cargo net and they say no profit?? I will check hondaacuraworld.com

Thanks
  • Options
    You are welcome. FYI- the website is www.hondacuraworld.com, not hondaacuraworld.com. Wheel locks are 35.50, cargo net $37.70. Those are DIY items. See if the will throw in an extra key. They cost a little bit because it has to be programmed at the dealer.
  • Options
    kosinski1kosinski1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a 2004 or 2005 MDX with touring package and DVD and I have no idea what to expect to pay. I would like to get something for under 40K. Can someone direct me to the site that lists the invoice and add-on pricing. What about these buying services? Any info would be appreciated. I'm in the Chicago area.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    kosinski1,

Just go to Edmunds and click on NEW CARS tab at the top left of the page, then click on Acura, then click on MDX and then you can choose 2004 or 2005 MDX with rear entertainment system and Edmunds will tell you the invoice prices and destination charge. (The 05 is $37525 including destination, and the 04 is $37052 including destination)
    You can also click on the blue "mjfloyd1" where I posted my message and my e-mail is listed and you can e-mail me for info about the buying service I used. I'm in Indiana, so I'm sure it could work out for you as well. The service cost me $350 total with no other fees.

Mark
  • Options
    Just received pricing on the MDX Touring with navi and all the accessories listed above $40,500.
    According to consumer reports buying service states the dealer is buying the car for $38,650 and the holdback is $1268 final price $37,382.

What do you think of the $40,500 price?
  • Options
    pra4snowpra4snow Member Posts: 2
    hey carmaven. what dealer are you using in NJ? i like the deal you got. can you email me with the name of the salesperson? i am looking to get into one this month.

thanks
  • Options
    januszjjanuszj Member Posts: 6
    Carmaven. The price sounds very good. I am looking for a good deal on the MDX with touring and DVD. Please email me with the name of the dealer and the sales person. I live in NJ. BTW, which additional accessories did you get included in $40,500 ?
  • Options
    following accessories, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo tray, wood grain panel, tailgate spoiler,side steps, moonroof visor, body side molding.
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Your deal is much better than my area dealers are willing to do.

Can you briefly describe your tactics (i.e. did you do a take it or leave it type offer and they said yes, or was there much back and forth??).

Thanks
  • Options
    underpantsunderpants Member Posts: 5
    I am also looking for a new MDX with touring and DVD in NJ. Just started the process today. I was offered a price of 39,000 even before the tax and fees. I have a friend of a friend who works at the dealer and said I would get a good deal. Just wondering if this is a good deal.
  • Options
    To clarify my previous post, the price that I received for a 05 MDX Touring with DVD entertainment system was 39,000. They told me that the Navigation was 2000 more. These prices do not include the 2800 bucks in tax, dealer fees and motor vehicle charges. This was with no other options or accessories. This was in central NJ. I thought the 39,000 price should have included the navigation system. Just looking for some additional input from other people.
  • Options
    januszjjanuszj Member Posts: 6
    I also live in central NJ and I am trying to find a good deal on MDX with touring, navigation and DVD. I thought touring includes navigation. Otherwise the 39K price does not look very attractive if you have to add 2K for nav.
  • Options
    genemachine1genemachine1 Member Posts: 24
    Carmaven-

I just got a price of 38000.00$ for mdx+ tax+fees. This is a touring model no navigation&no DVD. This was NE Penna. Can I do better in N.J. I do not mind a 2 hour drive to save 1000.00-1500.00 dollars off this price. Anyone else with NJ info please respond.

Genemachine1
  • Options
    newenglandmdxnewenglandmdx Member Posts: 3
    Touring includes Nav. The invoice for touring model is $38650 including destination. Touring (Nav included) + DvD invoice is $40,00...a difference on the invoice of $1350 for the DVD. (and $1500 on MSRP) Dealers don't want to give you any of the 3% holdback, however getting a price of Invoice + $300 to $1000 is a good deal right now. Depends how hungry a dealer is for a unit sale.
  • Options
    -MDX

I just looked at the Acura brochure and the Edmunds website and MDX touring model does not automatically have the NAV option. You must order touring with Nav system. Invoice difference between touring and touring with nav is approximately 2400.00$ What is a good price for touring model mdx? So far I have a price of 38000.00$ approx. 2000.00$ over invoice. I think this is too much.
  • Options
    kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    Why is everyone making this out to be so difficult? Just go to the edmunds web site and look up the invoice for the 4 models (base, touring, touring with RES, touring with RES and NAV0 add destination fee and about $500 to $1000 to the invoice and that's a great deal. I bought a 05 touring no RES or NAV for $750 over invoice 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    zbaozbao Member Posts: 2
    I live in MA. I bought 05 MDX+NAV yesterday for $39,127.89 plus tax and $169 of the plate transfer fee. This is about $475 above the invoice. I think this is a good deal.
  • Options
    patsfan4patsfan4 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a good deal. I am looking for the exact same car (MDX with Nav) in the MA/RI area. Do you mind telling me the dealership you went to? How was your experience?
  • Options
    saint1saint1 Member Posts: 9
    Live in DC area - bought MDX with NAV and RES this afternoon for $850 over invoice. Thanks for so many helpful posts in this forum. Free wheel locks.
  • Options
    gocanongocanon Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a Sage Brush + Black Interior + Touring + Navigation for $950 over invoice. The only extra was wheel locks for which I paid $50.

Other charges: 330 (approx) for registration + 50$ for doc + 5$ tire fees and taxes.
  • Options
    kul2kul2 Member Posts: 9
    live in PA. Bought for $38,925 before title, tax and registration. Just got a few accessories at retail price on top. I was fully prepared with prices, options, etc. Was a very pleasant experience. Dealer did not try to insert silly fees.
  • Options
    Congrats! from which dealer?
  • Options
    zbaozbao Member Posts: 2
    The dealership is Clair Acura in East Walpole. I got this deal from the internet sales manager. He is a very nice guy and I didn't feel pressure during my test drive.
  • Options
    marshallmarshall Member Posts: 1
    Didnt need Nav and all the extra stuff but the roof rack. Paid 33400.
  • Options
    sailwindsailwind Member Posts: 2
    Marshall,

Congrats on your new 2005 MDX! Great deal! Where did you got the car?
  • Options
    rugx470rugx470 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for best price on the 2005 MDX Touring with NAV and DVD. What price should I offer over Invoice? Also I am located in South Florida if anyone has recently purchased in the area pls let me know confiuguration, price and dealer. Also willing to drive to other parts of the state to get best deal - Thanks!
  • Options
    carchatcarchat Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a 2004 or 2005 MDX base model. Any good price information is welcome. I'm in Minnesota.

Thanks

Joe
  • Options
    bgr8flbgr8fl Member Posts: 1
    A very good deal at $275 over invoice. Where in PA and what dealer? I live in VA and am planning on picking up an '05 Touring w/NAV in Feb or March. Finally letting go of my '89 Legend. Willing to travel for a deal like that.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    05mdx05mdx Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking for a good deal on 'O5 w/Touring Nav.& RES here in Orange County. Can you share the details of your deal?
  • Options
    aaronwncaaronwnc Member Posts: 1
    Can you post the name of the dealer in PA? I might drive from NorthCarolina to get a similar deal.
  • Options
    Hello

Please state dealer name or town in PA> that you bought your mdx for 275.00 over invoice. That sounds great!
  • Options
    xloverxlover Member Posts: 1
    Hello v4120,

Sounds like you had a greate deal. $200 over invlice is really a very good price. I also live in So. California in Pasadena. Is it OK if you can share with me the salesperson from Tustin Acura? I would like to buy an X ASAP as my old car is dying. I am looking for an X with Nav.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    tanbinhtanbinh Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum. You guys are taling about the invoice price. Where do you get this price, from edmunds.com or the dealers?

TB
  • Options
    darknight1darknight1 Member Posts: 13
    I can't comment on other posters, but I'd recommend Edmunds.com only for pricing information.

Dealers can be, shall we say, somewhat loose with numbers. :)
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    tanbinh, if you click on the "new cars" tab at the top, you can go through a couple of steps to build the MDX (or any other vehicle) as you'd like to purchase it. At the end of the process, you'll be shown three prices: the MSRP, the invoice price, and the TMV price (what others in your area are paying for the same vehicle). We have this information on most new vehicles.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    sailwindsailwind Member Posts: 2
    I bought yesterday with $34,500 for basic model. But the dealer also gave me 7 years/100,000 mile powertrain warranty and protect package($695).
  • Options
    f15bashfulf15bashful Member Posts: 1
    I've seen Keyes Acura in Van Nuys and Downy Acura in some posting. I just got a call from Downy Acura and their initial quote was about $900 above invoice.
  • Options
    bda1947bda1947 Member Posts: 20
    Do Keyes last. Went there today, they have a lot of cars and told me they will beat any price I get...
  • Options
    v4120v4120 Member Posts: 5
    I posted about 3-4 weeks ago about my new '05 MDX black on black Touring, NAVI & RES (DVD) with wheel locks and cargo cover. I purchased from Tustin Acura. I cannot post his name due to the rules. Let me tell you about my buying experience though and the b.s. one must go through to purchase a vehicle.

Everyone I called I let them know I was willing to buy the vehicle by the end of the week at the latest (granted I was contacting dealers on 11/23 knowing that the Thanksgiving weekend was going to kill sales and that the end of the month was coming up on that next Tues) and I was serious. Don't do this if you're not ready to buy the car. Test drive all models beforehand so the only thing you have to do when you buy the car is test drive that specific car to make sure it is good to go, sign the papers and pay for the mother. I was willing to buy the car at the latest on Tues 11/30 but was ready to pull the trigger that day if the price was right. Edmunds strategies are right the end of the month dealers want to sale cars. Right now might be good for many of you wanting to buy a car because the end of the month is coming plus Christmas sometimes hurts dealerships a lot of factors come into play. You might be dealing with a salesman who needs to sale one more car to make a bonus or better for you, keep his job! I contacted a lot of dealerships and the ones who returned my call were the ones I played ball with.

One dealership which I already forgot was willing to beat the best price I got and I actually believed the guy because he returned many of my phone calls. The only problem was that he didn't have it on the lot (typical huh?).

Keyes Acura wouldn't give me a price over the phone and the idiot salesman told me because I would use it to try and lowball someone else and buy the car elsewhere for $100 or $200 less. C'mon dude were talking a $40,000 + car here if you give me the best price what is $100! I'll go with you. Fine I told him don't give me a price but I will not be buying a car from you then. Not 10 minutes later he calls me back and leaves a message on my phone (I had caller ID so I didn't pick up I let him leave a message) "Mr v4120 I'm willing to talk price with you if you come down to the dealership tonight and we can hammer out a deal yada yada yada. I'm not driving down there for him to try and pull salesman 101 on me. Don't call him back. 5 minutes later the sales manger calls me leaves a message "Mr. v4120 we are willing to talk price over the phone please call me back I apologize for my salesman's comments yada yada yada. 5 minutes after that the first idiot I talked to calls back "Mr v4120 my sales manager is going to call you if he already hasn't called blah blah blah." I call back about an hour later talk to the sales manager who is a pretty nice guy and he gives me the $200 over invoice offer but only has black with saddle. I use that price to get what I want from Tustin and the rest is history.

Also I know about that holdback but don't try and get any of that knocked off the price of an '05. Maybe an '04. But Acura dealers are not going to cut into that profit. Plus dude you are getting a luxury vehicle here, anything under $1200 over dealer invoice is a good deal. $900 was the best I got at first but as you can see a little hard work and tough negotiating and I got another $700 knocked off and free wheel locks and a cargo cover (well not free but thrown in for the price) which runs around another $200 total for both after market on the net.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    bda1947bda1947 Member Posts: 20
    You did exactly what the sales person at Keyes said you would do. I thought the 100 bucks or so wasn't a big deal... And you wonder why it's so hard to get numbers... Why give it out when you sell the dealer down the river and not give them a final shot. That is good business.
  • Options
    v4120v4120 Member Posts: 5
    Hey do you work for Keyes Acura too? I said all they had was black with saddle interior. I wanted black with black interior. They didn't have what I wanted. Besides that please don't tell me you feel sorry for car dealership salespeople. They will try to get you on everything they can. Puh-leez! Believe me when they sold me my car they sure as hell didn't lose any money. I don't know any car dealerships that lose money selling people cars. If they did they wouldn't be in business. bda1947 pull your head out of the sand. Good business is getting the best product at the best price for you and nobody else.
  • Options
    Ok, been a week or so since I have checked back on this site. I just finalized my deal on the 05 MDX Touring w/ the Rear DVD here in NJ. The best I could do was 37,900. This was an amazing deal compared to the 3 other dealers I priced which were all at about 38,500 - 39,025. I got the Sage color with Ebony interior. Picking it up on Thursday.
  • Options
    The Edmunds site doesn't seem to allow you to select all of the different options when pricing the MDX. The touring version of the MDX allows for 3 options 1)without either NAV or RES 2)with both NAV & RES, 3)with RES w/out NAV. I couldn't find the price of a Touring wih RES w/out NAV.
  • Options
    albersonalberson Member Posts: 1
    Please tell me what the invoice price was so I

can see what you actually paid $250. over!

Thanking you in advance!!
  • Options
    superepsuperep Member Posts: 8
    Same here, I have been trying to make up my mind on buying or leasing the new MDX. but of course want the best deal. Have you gotten any reply other than the $250 over invoice? I am also in So. Florida.

good luck
  • Options
    darknight1darknight1 Member Posts: 13
    You're not looking hard enough...

AWD 4dr SUV

AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System

AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav

AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/acura/mdx/index.html?tid=edmunds.- n.mmindex.popular.num2.1.acura*