Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    cityofchampscityofchamps Member Posts: 3
    Acura of Boston is having a "tent sale" this weekend and they appear to be pretty aggressively pricing vehicles that are in-stock. I went thru the Internet sales guy...push them and you'll be able to get a good deal. Remember that Memorial Day weekend will be another big one for sales.
  • Options
    ashatashat Member Posts: 2
    we just purchased our 05 MDX touring.. steel blue with quartz interior. we got 35,355 (destination included) + TTL which is $1000 under invoice with destination included. we also got the body trim, chrome side steps, cargo cover, and wheel locks for $1205 installed. i think this is a good deal. what do you think?
  • Options
    venkat1venkat1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am also looking for buying one in indy area. If you have bought one ..can you please share your experience and pricing information.

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    quandouquandou Member Posts: 7
    Live in Maryland, and DC area to look for a good deal on MDX touring package with Nav. installed. So far I was quoted by internet sell mananger as 40,045 bucks around, Can you share the better price at this area with dealers' infor.?
  • Options
    workerbeesworkerbees Member Posts: 2
    Local acura dealer currently has a promotion going and I'm trying to determine if this is a good lease deal or not. This will be my first time leasing so I'm not sure how to evaluate a lease deal.

Specs:
    2005 Base MDX
    MSRP $37470
    36 mos. 12k mi
    $999 down
    $1993 due at inception
    Residual = $23980
    Monthly payment =$399+tax

This seems like a pretty good lease deal to me but I'm a novice. Should I try to negotiate down the price or are these type of lease specials typically take it or leave it. Also any idea on how much more I can expect to pay if I want to bump up to 15k mi/yr? Also approx. how much more would it be to lease a touring instead of the base model?
  • Options
    kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    With rising gas price and lackluster economy, it appears that the purchase prices of gas guzzling SUVs, on the whole, are coming down. Based upon recent posts, it looks like even the MDX can now be had at or below invoice price, which is unheard of in the not so distant past.
  • Options
    genemachine1genemachine1 Member Posts: 24
    I just purchased 2005mdx touring from clinton acura of new jersey. Price was $325 over dealer invoice and a great trade price for my trade in. Contact the internet mgr., this was the best deal that I found after months of searching. Great car.
  • Options
    cityofchampscityofchamps Member Posts: 3
    This was a consideration that I was pretty sensitive to when considering our MDX purchase. However, the MDX is on the better side of mileage for SUVs its size plus it's one of the ultra-low emmissions vehicle in its class. I think the recent deals can be more closely linked to the upcoming 2006 models and Acura and dealers wanting to clear out inventory than the relatively recent gas price increase. However, I do hope that Acura gets its hybrid strategy together.
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Yes negotiate the price down first before mentioning lease. Go to tips and advice page here on edmunds, click on leasing. You can also go to new cars and see what dealer invoice is, as well as what people are paying in your zip code. Do NOT put any money down other than the first months payment and maybe the security deposit. If you were renting an apartment for 3 years and the manager said rent is $1,200 monthly for next 3 years but give me $1,200 down and it will only be $1,180 a month. That's what a cap cost reduction payment on a lease is like. It doesn't change the lease end price should you decide to purchase the car at the end of your lease. Also, if your car is stolen or totaled that money is gone. I would try to negotiate a price of about $34,000? before taxes/tag. I believe 15k mileage would bump payment about $10.00 a month. Go to the leasing forum and ask Car-man. He is a wealth of information as well as a heck of a nice guy. I will be getting an MDX for the wife in a couple of monthes [Lord willin if the creek don't rise] It is a great ride. Good luck......Dan :)
  • Options
    mikej1543mikej1543 Member Posts: 13
    I've been on the fence about whether to get an MDX or an RL and was hoping to defer the decision another month or two. Meanwhile, my local dealer is "turning up the heat" by telling me there's some special deal on leasing the MDX that expires the end of the month.

Is there any truth to that? Or, is it one of those things that there will just be another "special deal" next month.

I'd appreciate any comments.
    MIKEJ
  • Options
    nomar69nomar69 Member Posts: 49
    Here's a quote (literally) I received from the Internet Sales Mgr at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA for an '05 MDX (black w/ saddle interior) Touring w/ Nav & DVD:

"...priced the MDX of your choice at Invoice (40,180, a savings of $3,500 plus) and added your requested accessories (2,445) less ten percent (10%) giving you an extraordinary price of 42,830.50! Added to this price is our Processing Fee of 249, Virginia Taxes of 1284.92, Fairfax County Business Use Tax of 72.05 and Tags of 44.50, for a total of 44,030.97"

The accessory options I requested are: Tailgate Deflector, Body colored side molding, Fender Flares & Satin Side Steps.

The vehicle is in stock and ready for immediate delivery. They would need a $1000 deposit to install the accessories.

Is this truly an "extraordinary price" for my area? Should I bargain further or should I jump at the price? If I should bargain further, what price should I aim for out-the-door? By the way, VA car sales tax is 3%.

Thanks, in advance.

nomar69
  • Options
    Hi MikeJ,

personally, I would go the RL route...unless you need the cargo room afforded to you by the MDX. Regarding the special lease deal your dealer was talking about, there is one. Here it is, quoted from the Acura web site:

"2005 MDX SPECIAL AHFC LEASE/PURCHASE PLAN Terms
    Lease rates available on all new 2005 MDX models. FEATURED LEASE*: 2005 MDX V6 Automatic Transmission (Model YD1825JNW) for $399.00 per month for 36 months with a $999.00 capitalized cost reduction. $2,393.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month’s payment, security deposit, capitalized cost reduction, and AHFC upfront acquisition fee; total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, registration, options and the like). SUBJECT TO LIMITED AVAILABILITY. Offer valid from 03/01/2005 through 05/02/2005. *The specific featured lease listed is not available to New York residents. New York residents should contact their dealer for New York featured lease. Terms and conditions vary for New York Residents. In addition, HFS limits leasing terms to 39 months or less to residents and dealers in the state of Rhode Island."

Hope this helps.

nomar69
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The price on the base vehicle you are describing seems pretty good. I paid $40,500 (not including sales tax) for a MDX Touring Nav & DVD in January. That was $500 over invoice. Not sure how they got an invoice price of $40,180. Plus the processing fee of $249 puts you at $40,429, not including accessories and taxes.

The accessory prices, however, appear outrageous. We got wide body side moldings and running boards (black), installed for a total of $700. If you are adding $2,400+ for cosmetic accessories, you are peeing your relatively good deal away, IMO. I didn't even want to spend the $700, but the running boards (ie. steps) are helpful for our kids and an elderly parent and the body side molding should keep the MDX from getting banged up at the grocery store.

P.S. I bought in PA from my hometown dealer. The deal wasn't great, given the current market, but they had sold me a 2004 TL Navigation for $1,500 less than the best DC area price last year. I owed them my loyalty.
  • Options
    The accessories I requested came to about $1900 (MSRP) plus the cost of labor.

Rear Tailgate Deflector $379.00
    Side Steps (Satin Chrome) $625.00
    Fender Flares $669.00
    Body Side Molding $232.00

According to my calculations, the labor to install the above accessories comes to about $540.

So, it appears that the cost of the accessories plus labor as quoted by the dealer appears to be legit. I just wish it was a deeper discount. I can probably negotiate a lower final price near the end of the month.

I should buy the accessories elsewhere and install them myself...and save myself the $540.

By the way, which PA dealer did you deal with?
  • Options
    hkkhkk Member Posts: 2
    Here's something on accessories.

The prices quoted by the dealer are much higher than the ones quoted on the Acura website, if you go thru the 'Build your Acura' section.

Next look for those items on ebay, and you'll wonder at how much money the dealer is making. Of course, not all accessories might not be available on ebay.
  • Options
    If you can do the installation yourself, you can buy the accessories over the internet and save a boatload more than $540!!

Check out hondacuraworld.com. According to their website, the prices for your list are:

Rear tailgate deflector $297
    Side Steps (satin chrome) $487
    Fender flares $520
    Body side molding (wide) $181

That comes to a total of $1,485, with free shipping in the US.

My dealer (Contemporary Motors in Erie) charged $700 for body side moldings and running boards. That's the equivalent of the above internet mail order prices, plus about $75 for installation.

Not to be critical, but I stand by my previous statement. The prices you have been quoted for the accessories will take a very good price on the venicle and turn it into a poor deal. Not to mention that the resale value of cosmetic add-ons is next to nothing. So if you are going to load the MDX up, at least shop as hard for the overpriced accessories. I suspect my dealer would have done all of the items you are considering for about $1,600, not $2,400+. Even the above internet prices reflect a significatn profit for the dealer.

P.S. Host: How does one highlight the above URL to allow it be a link? I tried highlighting it and clicking on the "Url" button. I tried clicking the url button first, typing the website, and hitting the url button again. No luck either way. Fortunately, my driving skills exceed my typing/internet skills.
  • Options
    habitat1,

thanks very much for you input. You're right though...when I saw the dealer's quote of $40,180, I was amazed, but when he added the quote for the accessories + installation, I was disappointed at the total price.

I will, at the very least, bargain for the accessories plus installation to be at or around $1600. If the dealer wont bite, I'll just take your suggestion and buy from hondacuraworld.com or shop another dealer.

Regarding your question about making a link, I believe you have to type out the entire link (including the "www."), highlight the link then click the "Url" button.

Thanks again!
    nomar69">link title
  • Options
    phamcarphamcar Member Posts: 2
    ashat, which dealer did you get this great deal at? I'm looking for a MDX from a norcal dealer.
  • Options
    atthecatatthecat Member Posts: 2
    The price of the car IS flexible even when you are leasing right? I should haggle?

Thanks,
  • Options
    atthecatatthecat Member Posts: 2
    When you lease, you are still trying to get the price lower right? Is it just like buying as far as haggling? Or is a lease just a set price. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    innh1innh1 Member Posts: 1
    is this with any additional items. A lot of places will quote you 34,125 for the premium but there is a dealer holdback right now of 1100 dollars. So it brings the invoice down to 31,800. So you are a little high right now. Deal more.
  • Options
    ashatashat Member Posts: 2
    Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. We also called around and apparently there's a glut of touring editions in the bay area right now. But Hopkins gave us the lowest price and they were able to get us our color of choice. Good luck! FYI... we didn't do the internet negotiating deal, we did it all in person and we did not do financing through them which made the negotiations a bit cleaner.
  • Options
    jang3jang3 Member Posts: 10
    I have leased MDX Touring with Navigation at $37,800, including wheel locks & destination charge. About $1,000 below invoice price.

The 36 month lease, 15k mile/year, residual value is 58% & money factor is 0.00196. With $1,959 downpayment ($4,000 drive-off), monthly payment becomes $421.36 plus tax.

I got little better price in other dealership, but they were not answering my question about figures on the contract. I walked away.

The dealeership I purchased, insisting that AHFC(Honda Financing)'s rate is only applicable to current Honda/Acura owner/leaser. I walked away, again.
    They called when I get home, and saying "we figure it out..."
    I returned back and closed the deal.

Before sign the contarct, financing lady showed me AHFC's "work sheet".
    Unlike the lease contract only shows 'rent charge amount', the 'work sheet' shows money factor, basis for cap. cost, etc.

I believe I got fair deal. :)
  • Options
    dzazdzaz Member Posts: 1
    Am in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Am looking for an MDX with Nav. I am willing to drive anywhere within a 150 to 200 mile range for a good deal. Has anyone had any super pricing and the dealership they delt with? Thanks
  • Options
    mikej1543mikej1543 Member Posts: 13
    That sounds like a good deal on a lease. Best I've been able to do with touring and Nav is $499 for only 12k. The dealers in my area all seem to be in lock step with that. Do you mind telling us the dealer?
  • Options
    cudohocudoho Member Posts: 15
    I am interested in getting a MDX Touring. Have anyone bought one lately? if so can I pls get the purchase price and location of possible. thank you
  • Options
    cudoho,

please refer to my msg #1929 above and all of its replies. I got my quote from Pohanka Acura in Chantilly for a Touring w/ Nav & DVD.

nomar69
  • Options
    jang3jang3 Member Posts: 10
    Mijej1543, It was Tustin Acura, CA.
  • Options
    I got $500 over invoice from Contemporary Motors in Erie, PA, with no B.S.

That's apparantly not a great price from what I now see. However, they also sold me a TL 6-speed w/ Nav in May 2004 for $1,000 over invoice at a time when dealerships in DC were asking full MSRP. So I don't mind showing a little loyalty.

Try them out, you may be able to do better than my deal.
  • Options
    nini1nini1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi do u guys think i should get the acura warranty for 7yrs.. 100,000 miles for 1850 for the used mdx2002 20,000 miles with touing and navi , i just got for 30,000?????

is is worth it???

anyone got the cargo cover?? that lines the back part of he cargo area??? was it good quality??

how about getting bike rack?? any suggestions? on the roof or a hitch mount is better???
    thanks...
  • Options
    nini1nini1 Member Posts: 7
    hey ebay seach curryacura has all the accesories for much less.
  • Options
    bsagetbsaget Member Posts: 3
    The best deal I have found in the Westchester, NY area for an MDX with NAV and DVD and chrome running boards is 595 per month. This includes tax, but does not include the 1095 NY bank fee. I have seen a lot of discussion in these forums about price paid and all these deals for a few hundred over invoice, yet sometimes price paid equates to different lease price - though I realize it shouldn't. In fact my lease computer model indicates my price paid is lower than the dealer is telling me the price paid is despite an equivalent lease price. Anyway, my quote is for 12,000 miles per year, 36 months, .00206 money factor, 7.5% tax rate. There is no security deposit. Can anybody comment on this deal?
  • Options
    kdgkdg Member Posts: 3
    I know it's been a while since you posted your message but can you tell me what so cal dealer you purchased your MDX from? I'm in the Central Valley where dealers don't deal so I'm in the process of contacting so cal & nor cal dealers to get below invoice pricing. Any info. would be appreciated!
  • Options
    lovemdxlovemdx Member Posts: 1
    41,800 price Quoted for MDX (touring with Nav and Entertainement). The price includes Gold Emblem kit, Side Steps, All season mats, Cargo liner, Wood knob and wood steering wheel. Is this a good price? Only other $$ have to pay is tax and DMV fees.
  • Options
    pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    Negotiated by phone & email. 05 MDX Touring. MSRP $40,295. Aspen White. 36 mos lease of $465. Total of $750 down includes 1st month payment & fees. Was able to buy at invoice. Thoughts?
  • Options
    pookpook Member Posts: 6
    I just picked up a 2005 Taffetta White MDX with navigation last night. Pretty painless experience. I talked to the salesman, whom I was referred to, over the phone and was given an original price of $38,990 plus tax ($300), doc. fees ($198.50) and tags ($39). I went in to the dealership and asked for $39,000 including everything. He stepped away for 2 seconds and came back with a yes. He asked that I take one off the lot but we really wanted one of the whites so that's what we said and he had it shipped in from Georgia in 2 days. I was nervous because neither he nor I ever even mentioned floor mats, and I was scared they wouldn't be in there when I went to pick it up and there would be a hassle. But no. When I showed up he had it warmed up for me and it only had 2 miles on it. It also had floor mats, sunroof visor and wheel locks, and he never even told me they were included, which was nice. Here is a breakdown of the final price:

$38,462 subtotal
    $300 tax
    $198.50 doc. fee
    $39 new tag

$39,000 total OTD

p.s. I'm in South Carolina
  • Options
    Do you mind telling me if your payment includes tax, as well as which dealership was this? thanks Dan. :)
  • Options
    theelftheelf Member Posts: 1
    bsaget,
    I am just up the road in Southwestern CT and I was given a money factor of 5.0% .00206 (same as you) from Devan Acura in Norwalk.
    You may want to contact them....... best price i got so far is 39,800 for acura MDX touring with Navigation. 1500 down and total drive off of 3,161 brings the lease in at 506 (tax included) for 3year 12k miles.

What was the price you got on the vehicle?
  • Options
    creidecreide Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 05 Touring (no Nav) in MN for $36,655 - $300 over Edmunds.com invoice price (including destination charge). I added the satin chrome sidestep for $545. Based on everything I've seen here the last few weeks, I feel pretty good. I pick it up next Monday. It's my first Acura and my first SUV. I was torn between this and the Volvo XC-90 but after countless hours of research, I ended up here. :)
  • Options
    mister8mister8 Member Posts: 5
    Sale price: 38,130
    36 month lease 15K mi /year
    No Down
    910.26 Drive off
    555.74 mo (incl Tax)
    Money factor : .00206

Is this a good deal? Anyone have better?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    Yes, tax is included. I was able to get this from several TX dealers. Ask for the internet/sales manager and tell them this is what you want. If they say no, move on to the next. By the way, nobody responded if it was a good deal.
  • Options
    Then please allow me to be the first. It Looks like a great deal to me. I hope they continue the lease support on the base until august. Kind of iffy though as the residuals take a dive that late in the year. I think they were doing that last summer though. Awesome negotiating....Dan
  • Options
    jsandiegojsandiego Member Posts: 3
    By all means, negotiate the price! I leased an 05 touring (black w/ ebony int) last weekend and negotiated the price 672$ below invoice. Pit dealers against each other and challenge them to beat the other guys offer. There are a few posts about the lease deal on the base model, I wound up paying 7 dollars more a month for a touring and 390 less out of pocket. this was a losing deal for the dealership, but they wanted to reduce inventory.
  • Options
    lexcuralexcura Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 05 MDX Touring w/ Nav last Friday. Several dealers in town offered at or near invoice price, but they did not have the color we wanted (steel blue metallic w/ ebony int) and were not sure when they can get one. We ended up paying $200 over invoice at another dealer but took delivery right away.

All the negotiations were done through email and phone calls so it was relatively painless. The only drawback is that if the model/trim/color/equipment you want is too specific and not in everybody's stock, then the dealers won't be able to move/trade with other dealer as they normally do when they don't have it, because you've contacted everybody in town! And the one who has it is not likely to come down on price.

I'm sure we probably could have got a lower price if we were flexible on the color or could wait, but we're really happy with what we got and love that color! :shades:
  • Options
    roastboarroastboar Member Posts: 10
    Hi All,

I am interested in buying a Base MDX in the WA area. The dealership in Lynnwood would not entertain anything below $1000 over invoice. Acura of Bellevue is quoting $500 over invoice and I am wondering if that's a good price; or if I can go lower. I haven't yet heard a price from Acura of Seattle. All of these are email/phone quotes.

Also, should I try my luck in other parts of the state? I don't mind driving a few miles if I can save a few hundred dollars.

Input from previous experiences is hugely appreciated. If I do land up buying an MDX, I will post my buying experience to help others.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mukilteomukilteo Member Posts: 6
    Happy to help our fellow MDX owners.

I was working with Acura of Lynnwood and Acura of Bellevue but go fed up with them (for 3 months). They seem to think they can still command price premiums. I finally ended up with a fine MDX that fit exactly what I wanted from Acura of Portland. To make the deal easy, the dealer drove the car up right into my driveway in Mukilteo (200 miles away). These guys were straight shooters (at least my salesguy but I know I can't mention his name on this forum). He even referenced this site on our first phone conversation whereas the Lynnwood and Bellevue dealerships gave me the same song and dance routines. Watch out about this $500 over invoice deal. I got quotes with invoices that included "prep costs" and other junk that they included in the invoice price. Be clear when they say invoice price, they mean KBB invoice price. If you can get that, that's probably a decent deal for our area.

I got a touring MDX with black running boards and the floor mat / wheel lock packagage for $36,300 + tax and tags. You got to time this stuff right as we did the dance for a couple of weeks before we came up with this compromise price. They are sending the paperwork for title to a Seattle DMV office so I can pay my car tax and get a WA state tag. They told me they sent the paperwork today so let's hope they don't mess it up.

Acura of Portland ... you got a good plug on this forum for "doing your customer right". Based on this experience, I'm happy to try and steer other customers your way.
  • Options
    raphsterraphster Member Posts: 13
    I got quoted a lease rate of $520 for a 36mth lease on a MDX touring 12k mi/yr.
    that rate is for an all in sign and drive, I just pay my first mth payment + plates.
    my tax rate is 8.5%, New York city area

Does this sound like a good deal or can I do better?
  • Options
    newbuyer7newbuyer7 Member Posts: 4
    Every dealer in the NY area is now willing to accept invoice price for all three trims. MDX's up for redesign and they aren't moving as quickly as they used to.
  • Options
    most will give you 15,000 miles is you ask.
  • Options
    you can buy at invoice from ANY dealer in the NY area. I spoke with three and every single one agreed -- base, touring or w/nav.