Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Are you currently shopping for a vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk with you to learn how important fuel efficiency is to you as you make your decision.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 14, 2005 with a few thoughts on the subject.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    jmrrj2jmrrj2 Member Posts: 3
    Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the following deal I was offered at an Acura Dealer on the North Shore of Chicago today.

1. MDX with Touring Package
    2. MSRP $40,295
    3. Base Price $36,655 plus $595 acquisition fee and $50 doc fee
    4. Residual 58%
    5. Money Factor .00160
    6. 36 Months/12K miles
    7. $560/month
    8. Payments due at signing are security deposit of $575, first month payment of $560 and License Title.
    9. Dealer claims that bc the MF is so low they can't go any lower.
    10. Any suggestions? I am not quite believing them.
  • Options
    stevem7stevem7 Member Posts: 26
    Seems REALLY HIGH to me. Look at it this way, in a lease you are covering the depreciation (difference between base price incl. dest. and the residual), plus the interest on the montly outstanding balance. To make it simple, see below.

MSRP w/dest = 40,870
    Base Price with dest. = 37,250
    Residual = 23,705 (40,870 x .58)
    Total of Payments = 20,160
    Depreciation that you need to cover = 13,545 (37,250-23,705)

That means you are paying $6,615 (20,160-13,545) in interest assuming some of the $560 is not tax. If it is you need to back that out. Either way that is a very high interest rate (about 7.2%). Should be way better than that on an MDX. This is not a brand new model in which they can get away with a high money factor/interest rate. You should be able to get that vehicle for no more than $475 per month plus tax (and that would not be just an ok deal).
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I should probably clarify. I live in IL where you must pay all of the tax up front-which is then rolled into the 36 months.

So, my tax rate of 6.5% is included in that rate. Does that change your opinion of the deal?

I went to another dealer tonight who let me walk when I was trying to get only $10/less per month.
  • Options
    drnw04adrnw04a Member Posts: 21
    Seems about typical for Chicago dealers. I leased a MDX/Touring for 48/15k for just under $550/month from McGrath in Westmont. Taxes come to 6.75% (on the entire price of the car) where I live, so it does hit hard when you're comparing to other lease deals you read about here. Your quote still seems a little high based on the calculations I'm able to do (I come up with a little over $540).

For what its worth, got quotes for over $650/month from the Acura dealer in Naperville. I don't think Naperville dealers were too interested in moving cars over Labor Day - the BMW dealer there quoted us almost $900/month on a lease for an X5 3.0.

BTW - The .0016 MF comes out to about 3.84%, not 7.2% as the other poster was claiming. Lease payments aren't computed just by amortizing the depreciation - it would be nice if it was that simple, but you have to use the formula the rest of the industry uses.
  • Options
    I understand leasing and let me tell you MF is nothing more than a fancy interest rate term. I understand that the MF did not equal 7.2%, but the payment didn't equal a MF of .0016 or 3.84% either. It appeared as though they had a higher price or effectively were charging a higher MF/interest rate. I was backing into the effective interest rate based on the residual and capitalize cost because the 3 components did not seem to hang together. No that I understand the IL tax rate, yes I would have calculated a lower effective interest rate.

As for amortizing the depreciation, that is not what I said. You are paying interest on the outstanding monthly balance which starts at the capitalized cost during the first month and in the last month is basically one payment less than the residual price. A simple way to estimate (for non-financial folks) is to take the avg of the capitalized cost and the residual, this will give you approximately the avg monthly outstanding balance during your lease term. This is not the exact formula, if you want to do that just pull out a HP12C and punch in the data, it will give you the lease amount. But it is true that in a lease your payments are covering the depreciation and the interest on the outstanding monthly balance. It is that simple.

I apologize if I didn't do a good job of placing the explanation into words the first time.

I can also tell you anyone paying $900/month on a X5 3.0 is making a sales manager and finance manager a very happy person. They will take home a fat paycheck on payday. You can count on that.
  • Options
    As a follow up, I went to Muller Acura in Hoffman Estates. They said they would do the same deal at $539/month but wouldn't put the purchase price down on the purchase order because they were using a "tax credit". It seemed a bit scary to me. Pauly Acura would not match or budge below $560/month.
  • Options
    integrlintegrl Member Posts: 1
    I inquired with Stevens Creek Acura (Bay Area, CA) and they quoted me $500 under invoice for a Aspen Pearl with Navi & DVD system. They said they couldn't go lower than $500 with the color I wanted. Is this good? Anyone have any good dealers in Northern Cali that I can inquire?

Thanks for your help in advance
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,773
    I think you are making it too hard... converting the money factor to an APR, and then computing it...

The money factor already takes those calculations into account..

Money Factor X (Cap cost + residual) = Monthly finance charge

(Cap cost - residual) / term = Monthly depreciation

Monthly finance charge + Monthly depreciation = Pre-tax monthly payment

And... taking the MF and multiplying by 2400 actually overstates the effective APR slightly.. It is actually less than 3.84%

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Priced Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You may be correct in that I was making it harder than it needed to be. When I first responded, my main message was total payments were much higher than the difference of cap cost and residual (depreciation). $6,000+ seemed very high and at that amount would calc to a higher MF than the indiv stated. Yes, it is not quite as bad once you see the tax situation in IL. That info was absent in the orig question from the requester. Sorry for the over complicating. I just would never finance or lease without knowing the actual implied interest rate (even if stated in a money factor). The only reason the auto industry uses a money factor in the first place is to hide the actual interest rate (in general interest rates are commonly understood and most folks would have a sense of what is good and bad since the whole world works on one, but wouldn't know how to evaluate a money factor since it is a behinds the scenes financial formula factor). Again, I didn't mean to create confussion for the requester.
  • Options
    mdxnewbiemdxnewbie Member Posts: 2
    Did you MDX include running boards and wood for steering wheel, shift knob, and trim panel?
  • Options
    mdx4me1mdx4me1 Member Posts: 25
    Nope...I didn't have any of hose items.
  • Options
    clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I got offered touring w/Navi $ 39600.
    Dealer adds some accessories as below.

Wheel lock
    Sunvisor for Moonroof.
    Heavy Duty Floor mat.
    Cargo Net.

Is this a good offer?

Thanks, :)
  • Options
    madisonmdxmadisonmdx Member Posts: 3
    well, invoice w/o the accessories is $38,830. until oct. 3 when the $1,500 manuf to dealer incentive runs out, you should be able to get the car for $300 to $1000 below invoice, making apx. $38,200. add the following
    wheel locks $50
    sunvisor $125
    floor mats $125
    cargo net $49

which makes $38,600, so no, it sounds like you can do better. it sounds like you are paying about $500 over invoice, rather than $500 under invoice.
  • Options
    madisonmdxmadisonmdx Member Posts: 3
    good enough - i'd take it. however, if you want to finish your diligence, email 3 or 4 other "internet sales managers" at local acura dealers and see what you get back. i'd be surpirsed if you get more than 1 significantly below that quote.
  • Options
    osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    Is $300 over invoice, minus $1500 dealer rebate a fair price, or shall I wait?
  • Options
    rottie_99rottie_99 Member Posts: 4
    I was told the BEST deal I could get in the DFW actually Tulsa, OK!) area on a Silver/ebony 2005 with Nav was $37418 (unsure if this includes destination)...is that the best going now? I also want to add the options...Tow package/satin side steps and rear spoiler. Can anyone tell me the going rates for these as well. I appreciate all of your help.
  • Options
    shopper8shopper8 Member Posts: 21
    Just got a 05 MDX Touring with DVD and running boards for $36,500 in the mid-Atlantic area. Why such a good deal? I think the reality of it is these higher end dealers are getting squeezed. The market is flooded with SUV's right now (sit down when the dealer gives you trade in value if you have an SUV!). I put my perfectly good Ford Explorer in the paper and didn't receive 1 phone call in 3 weeks. X5's are being offered 6-7k below MSRP. Acura is following suit. You can get a great deal right now before the 06's come out.
  • Options
    chmcmmchmcmm Member Posts: 8
    All local dealers were still asking for invoice. Called a dealer in a nearby state who had 1 left of the color we wanted. He took $600 below invoice on the phone. Went to the local dealer and he bettered it by $100. I'm sure I could have haggled for more but this dealer is 5 minutes from my house and between work and kids I figured wasting a Saturday driving around to haggle for a few more hundred wasn't worth it.

I think where you are and what's in stock is big part of how much below invoice you can get. I suspect if you went at the end of the month you could get at least $1000 under invoice right now. If you can find a smaller dealer who has only one or two left and wants to move them you might get a better deal.
  • Options
    clickclickclickclick Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your advice. I will contact dealer at the end of this week.

Well, my brother-in-law just bought base white color $32700 on Monday in NJ.
    It seems like a lot cheaper than atlanta.

OK. I will make it too.
    ;)
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 7
    is that OTD price of 36,500? thank you.
  • Options
    strbz70strbz70 Member Posts: 15
    Dealer in a nearby state....

Would that be in Youngstown OH?
    Im haggling with Spitzer in the south hills about an 05 TL. Was considering other dealers if Im not satisfied and Im about 1hr and 15 min from Youngstown.
  • Options
    Since "OTD" varies by state tax and tag fees, and is non-negotiable, $36,500 is the negotiated price on car with package and accessories. I think that is about $2k below invoice. OTD it was $38,600 in the fine town of Balto. MD
  • Options
    chmcmmchmcmm Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if it's Youngstown but you're headed in the right direction. I won't use as strong a word as collusion but I think the Pittsburgh area dealers are trying their best not to get in bidding wars.
  • Options
    Maybe. I called Bariel to check on a used 04 they listed for 33K. I asked if they were set on that or if they had any room to work. They refused to discuss anything over the phone and told me I had to come by the dealer.

Oh yeah:

Boardman OH
  • Options
    kwyoon...

I've moved your post to Acura MDX: Lease Questions

You can find it there, along with any replies..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cedewittcedewitt Member Posts: 3
    I don't live far from baltimore and was also looking at the 06 Pilot until I stumbled across the MDX deals. Could you tell me the dealership name? I'm looking for a silver touring with Nav and maybe dvd...
    THanks!
  • Options
    Frankle Acura - I can't tell you how much my wife likes the car over the pilot. The difference isn't worth $9k but it is definitely worth $3,500. Get your deal together before you walk in. Good Luck
  • Options
    cedewittcedewitt Member Posts: 3
    Hey thanks a bunch! Wish me luck....
  • Options
    runacmrunacm Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, This is my first post here and would greatly appreciate any help I can get. My wife and I are looking at leasing an '05 MDX Touring w/o NAV or DVD. Has anyone in the Mid-west region been able to negotiate the Selliing Price down to 37.5K? Also, what End of Lease value do they use in terms of a percentage? The other competitors are the Toyota 4Runner Limited '06 V8 ($38.9K)

Thanks!
  • Options
    drbeardrbear Member Posts: 1
    Was shopping for a 05 Aspen white MDX touring, no nav, no entertain. My local Orlando, FL dealership wouldn't budge below 37,800 (before TTL and 600 dealer fee and 168 clean-up fee (BS)). I didn't know it cost 168 to peel the protective stickers off. Sales manager said their cost for the car was the invoice price. And said I could shop around but would be a waste of time cause that color i wanted is so rare to find. Well, the 3 hours wasted was at that dealership. Then called my sales guy down in Acura of South Florida (Miami). First thing out of his mouth was, "you wanna pay invoice?" I said hummm, no. I'd like to pay 800 below invoice and remove that 600 dealer fee. Said he'll charge me 34,900 plus 600 service fee before TTL. No other hidden charges. Am picking the car this coming Saturday. What do you guys/gals think. Did I get a good deal? The negotiations on the phone took approx 4 minutes before the ok.
  • Options
    hsuehhwahsuehhwa Member Posts: 14
    Last night:
    $36,750 plus $50 doc fee + DMV fee + Tax
    in Cerritos of Cerritos, CA
    Blue Metallic

I was amazed. I was there last Monday too and they definitely sold a lot of cars in a week. All the TSX were gone. More than 10 MDX sold in a week. Last night, only two blue MDX with touring + navigation and one burgundy basic model was left when I was there.

I went to the civil dealer across the street first. No 2005 pilot was left. The sales person was straightforward and informed me there's no way they would reduce the MSRP ($34.5K) to sell me the 2006 Pilot (EX-L plus navigation), since they only have one.

The MDX is going to be an extra car in my family. So gas mileage isn't a big problem.
  • Options
    Dont know how much theyve gone up from 04 to 05, but last Oct my wife and I got an 04 Taffeta White Premium MDX for 34,100 + fees. Included in that was all weather mats, gold pkg (ugh!), and roof rack.
  • Options
    gatorsfgatorsf Member Posts: 22
    Less than 2 months ago I was able to negotiate a base model with side steps and roof rack for $36,000 OTD. We didn't do the deal because the dealers were too far off on our trade-in. I am wondering if prices are coming down due to '06s and gas prices. Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • Options
    I might be wrong. Since 2006 Pilot greatly improved its gas mileage, I would expect 2006 MDX to do the same thing. I could get a best-equipped 2005 Pilot with Navigation under $30K (they were hot, and they were all sold out a week later). Last Sunday I was in a big Honda (Cerritos, CA) dealer and they only have one 2006 Pilot with navigation (MSRP: >$34.5K) and all the 2005 Pilots were sold out.

I went to Acura dealer across the street and bought a 2005 MDX touring with Navigation. There were only three 2005 MDX left (Two Blue with navigation, and one burgundy basic model). I think I got a good deal. Yes, according to the dealer, 2006 MDX is going to be priced higher. A more fuel-efficient MDX would be a near-perfect SUV at its price.
  • Options
    The MDX and Pilot use 2 totally different engines (3.5L vs 3.0L). So gas milage may not increase in the MDX.
  • Options
    Ummm... that isn't right.... Both use the 3.5 litre V-6

2005 Honda Pilot: Reviews & Specs

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yup. My bad. I was just coming back here to post a retraction.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    According to 2006 Honda specs, Pilot does not get better mileage than the MDX, in fact, 1mpg less on highway. I have no idea why, perhaps the premium fuel the MDX requires helps it. Premium fuel is a real problem in Massachusetts, costing a minimum of $ .20 and up to $ .40 more per gallon than regular. I drive 95% highway and log over 45,000 miles a year. Premium fuel costs me an additional $650 per year over my fuel cost if MDX used regular. I am not replacing my 2002 MDX because of premium fuel and the fact that I only get 20.7 mpg with mostly all hwy miles. I was waiting for new Pilot that uses regular gas and would have the VCM. I am disappointed that VCM is only on 2 wheel drive models and mileage gain is modest to say the least. As much as I like my MDX, poor gas mileage is going to be an increasing issue, my bet is now that we are conditioned to $3.00 per gallon, prices will remain there. I'm now leaning toward an Avalon.
  • Options
    ramplanoramplano Member Posts: 1
    I am not sure about mid-west region. But the dealers here are advertising for 5000 off MSRP (you can negotiate for another 2000 easily) on all 2005 acura MDX in dallas area. That means it should be less than 37.5 k , right? I am planning to run to the dealers this weekend.
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying, steve.
    Now I just feel even better getting a 2005 MDX if 2006 Pilot/MDX doesn't offer a significant better gas mileage.
    Our MDX will be an extra family car. My wife is driving 60 miles / day with a >90K 1999 Camry, and I'm driving 50 miles / day with a >90K infiniti. Both still in fair condition. We'll probably get a civic/mazada 3 as the next commute car if needed. I heard CA just passed a law to allow hybrid civic and prius to take the carpool lane.
  • Options
    audijaudij Member Posts: 4
    Got base model MDX last night for OTD price of $33,300. (includes tax, tag and etc) I live in mid atlantic region. Hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    sri1sri1 Member Posts: 23
    I am unable to decide which one to take. Pilot interior looks better than MDX but outside looks are better for MDX and other specs seems to be the same. Difference $4700. Is it worth ? I have to make a decision by the end of day today since MDX are also flying fast. Your input is appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    What is base price paid before tax and tag? Here the dealer is asking 32,200
    thanks
  • Options
    audijaudij Member Posts: 4
    base price was around 31,950.
  • Options
    newowner6newowner6 Member Posts: 1
    Just returned home with '05 Touring, no Nav or DVD - $34,000 before tax & title. Dealt with two Boston area dealers, one much more agressive than the other, who kept calling and improving the offer until the other dealer just couldn't match it and said buy the car from the other guy. The salesman was very nice, the experience pleasant and the MDX is outstanding. :)
  • Options
    abbycatabbycat Member Posts: 6
    I considered both vehicles also for a long time. A few differences....The MDX has a Bose 6-CD changer and I am not sure the one in the Pilot is Bose. The MDX has a 4-yr 50000 warranty and the Pilot is one year less. The handling and responsiveness in the MDX meant a lot to me (I also drive a sports car). The MDX is a dream to drive. XM satellite radio free for a month? ;) I also got many service extras with the MDX...not sure if this is std from all dealers, plus roadside assistance for the life of the warranty. I love the car, other than the gas mileage.
  • Options
    I have finally pulled the trigger on 2005 MDX Premium for 32,200 (including dest, Roof Rack, Mud flaps, Wheel Locks, Cargo Cover) + 153 tag and taxes. I guess I did ok.

Thanks
  • Options
    mlock6mlock6 Member Posts: 22
    A dealer in Maryland quoted me a MDX touring loaded for 40,000.00
    Retail is 44,500.00 Should I take it or renegotiate and for how much less??
    Thank you for your response,

Mlock
  • Options
    '05 or '06?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator