Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bob: I'd have the dealer lube the pedals themselves with grease, I bet it's just a high pitched squeek.

-juice
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    FXT in the shop today. She's developed a pronounced gear whine, particularly in 3rd gear, from 2500rpm on up. Started over the weekend (BEFORE the SSRs went on). Definitely goes away the second the clutch is depressed, and isn't related to engine speed.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    still shifting OK?

~c
    Sometimes it doesn't want to take reverse in the morning, but all my Soobs have been like that....just pull forward a couple feet and then no prob.

So yes shifting ok.
    Can't be the diffys or the bearings (which is what I might have guessed), then, if it goes away with the clutch in.

-juice
    or it is possible I am hallucinating. Cicadas got to my brain after roughly 35 attempts to get through my windscreen.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Dave, the make of the battery is eliminator, carried by Canadian Tire here in Canada, it may or may not be a rebadged Optima as it is identical in appearance.

Cheers Pat.
    the takeout/release bearing chatters when the clutch is out and the transmission in neutral. the noise goes away when you engage the clutch.

what you're experiencing sounds like: (in my humble order of likeliness so far)

a) bad synchronizer(s)
    b) bent or improperly installed shift fork, causing gear(s) to not be fully mated
    c) gear wear --usually misalignment, manufacturing or assembly defect, or abuse

Good call bringing it into the shop promptly. If they say nothing is wrong, grin and bear it, log a call with 800-subaru, and then wait until it gets louder. Then bring it back and call in the heavy hitters. aka Patti. ;)

~Colin
    My STi short shifter vibrated loose, slightly, and I had to take the center console apart to tighten it.

But the stock shift lever has rubberized insulation to dampen the vibes. Not sure if the XT's does or not.

-juice
    you can feel this in the gas pedal, etc. It's pervasive, sounds like riding in a city bus. I don't flog the tranny any more than the one in our 71k mile Outback with the "glass" transmission, so abuse is not likely to be the problem. Still waiting on a call from the dealer.
    It's a bearing. Part ordered, I'm to take it in for at least a full day next Wednesday.

I mentioned a possible faulty bearing when I dropped it off, only because there is one, and ONLY one, other report of such an incident over on Nabisco.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    "...the takeout/release bearing chatters when the clutch is out and the transmission in neutral..."

Colin: Instead of 'chatter', could it also emit a high-pitched squeak/squeal/chirp/almost a whistling noise? There with the clutch out, not with the pedal down, and I can almost modulate it with very slight pedal movement. Mine's been there for awhile, but hasn't affected function at all.

Cheers!
    Paul
    question for the collective wit & wisdom to ponder:

Friend of mine with a new STi claims that the high-flow, high-performance foam air cleaners (K&N, for example), are bad for Subies as they tend to mess up the airflow sensor by allowing too much air into the engine, screwing up mixtures, performance, emissions, etc.

Truth, or bullbleep? I'm needing a new air filter, and contemplating a K&N or equivalent.

Whaddya all think?

Cheers!
    Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They've been accused of messing up MAP sensors, etc. when over-oiled too :-)

K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?

Steve, Host
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Loosh,

Glad the dealer found the problem. I think you're the first person I know of who has had a tranny problem with the new "reinforced" 5MT.

Ken
    bullcarp. if there is any truth to such observations, it is an OVER-OILED filter causing metering problems by contamination.

~c
    #2 actually. I have to say they were very prompt over at Valley Motors. took the car this morning, called me this afternoon to have me pick it up, and have scheduled the car in for next week. They say they need the car all day, and from the looks of my paperwork, it seems I am getting a new transmission. I'm impressed that they (and presumably SoA) are putting in a whole new unit instead of trying to repair mine.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    when was your build date? I'm glad they're taking care of you as well.

-Brian
    I would be like you and prefer a new tranny as opposed to a rebuild.

Cheers Pat.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What Juice said.

-mike
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    the limited information. Once it goes into the dealer, call us (1-800-SUBARU3) if you need any help.

Thanks and I'm sorry you had the scare!

Patti
    Myth or reality....

What he is referring to actually is that often the kids who run these filters over-oil them, this results in excess oil flowing over the MAF and destroying it. So it's essentially a myth, but with some background in reality.

-mike
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Loosh,

That's even better news. Perhaps SOA wanted to take a look since it's one of the few data points they have for the new 5MT.

Ken
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    All,

This post describes your rights if you have a newer model Forester or Impreza and have wind noise caused by your window gusset.

I got a document in the mail yesterday about this issue. The document was released by Subaru in April 2004 and refers to MY2002-2004 Foresters and Imprezas. (the doc cost $5 from subaru technical site but s&h was $15!!!)

Anyway the net net of it is if you hear wind noise and think it's coming from the window gusset (triangular shaped plastic part on the window near the side view mirror), subaru will check the following.

1) cars with newer window gussets installed (outback, legacy, baja) are not part of this - only impreza and forester models have the older style window gussets that would be considered for replacement by newer gusset.

2) dealer will confirm wind noise over 40MPH by test drive. if pressing on glass eliminates the noise then go to next step

3) dealer measures space between window glass and gusset on both inside and outside of window (with window up). if space is less than 2mm you're fine.

4) dealer measures space between each side of gusset with window down. if space is less than 5mm you're fine.

5) finally, if space between gusset sides is > 5mm, space between glass and gusset is > 2mm and wind noise is eliminated by pressing on glass, then dealer will install new style window gusset (instructions most likely in another 2-page document that costs $15 to drop in the mail) and adjust the angle of the gusset so the space between glass and gusset is same on inside and outside of window.
    I tend to squeeze the daylights out of those foam filters, and I'm cheap & want the oil to last awhile, so over-oiling shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks for the input, guys.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    As I was about to change my gear oil to Amsoil, I discovered that my XT has a different type of drain plug.

There's no bolt but now there's a star-looking thing that indents into the plug. I've seen them before but can't remember the name. Hopefully, I can find it at a hardware store.

-Dennis
    The Proper term is a Torx headed plug.That's if it is star, if it hexagonal, it is plain old allen key.

Cheers Pat.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Duh, should've known that from the torx screw on the crossbars. Now I just have to figure out what size.
    Thanks Pat.

-Dennis
    You are very welcome.

Cheers Pat.
  • fitzy2fitzy2 Member Posts: 11
    I noticed some of the postings relating to the wind noise from the drivers door mirror gusset. Does anyone know if the 2002 LL bean (still under warranty) is known to have this issue. What is the fix?? Should it be a dealer problem or can I do it??
    Thanks people,
                   fitzy2
    fitzy2 - in posting #3343, directly above yours, I describe Subaru's latest statement re: wind noise from the gusset released April 15, 2004. Apparently newer outbacks and legacies have the newer gusset and aren't supposed to exhibit this noise. But I'd go to the dealer anyway for them to perform the diagnostic described above. "A new style door mirror gusset has been used in production starting September 2003, with the following VINs:
    legacy sedan 4*204269
    legacy wagon 4*301951
    outback 4*614779
    baja 4*100963

If your LL Bean does not have one of the VIN ranges above then you likely have the older gusset and can go in and get them replaced for the newer part:
    new part number left: 61158AE01B
    new part number right: 61158AE00B

BTW - I made a mistake in my posting in test #3. It should read: "if space is less than 0.2 mm (not 2mm) with the window up and the door closed, then you're fine."

elissa
  • livliv Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used Forester X in April of '03 with 15k miles from a Subaru dealer. At 26k miles the air bag indicator light came on and would not go off. I took it to a closer Subaru dealer (Livermore, CA) for repair, and was provided a rental car for the three days it took them to get the correct part to repair. The problem was an issue with the side air bag sensor, which they replaced. In searching the forums, there were a couple of other people who had an air bag indicator light problem that was difficult to resolve, but I could find no one who noted their final resolution.

Now, at 27k, the light has come on again. I plan to call the dealer ASAP to schedule an appointment, but am wondering what happens if the dealer is unable to resolve this issue. More to the point, what happens after the 36k all inclusive warranty expires and an AIR BAG problem continues to appear? If the problem was noted prior to the warranty expired, I would "assume" Subaru is on the hook to provide a resolution.

In addition, I signed up with mysubaru.com, but noted that they do not have the recall work being done for my VIN number (the parking rod issue). I was assured when I purchased the car that this work had been completed at the dealership. How can I tell if this work has been done or not?

All in all, I have been happy with the Subaru, and the first problem with the Air Bag light did not concern me too much. Now, however, I am worried that I will have a persistent problem that will be difficult to resolve. How many times should I have the dealer attempt to correct this problem, and then who should I escalate to (beyond the service manager at the dealership)?

Thanks for all of your time!
    I would keep going to the dealer every time the light goes on while you are under warranty. The lemon law in CA MAY cover you if you have to go to the dealer WHILE UNDER WARRANTY an "excessive" number of times for the same repair. The lemon law doesn't really protect consumers much but you might find some help there.
  • jcabinjcabin Member Posts: 23
    Anyone know if the same pistons are used in the 2004 6 cylinder as in the 4 cylinder engines and if the cars exhibit the same piston slap problems as they age?

How about the new 2005 2.5s?
    The H6 has different sized pistons, and has been a very reliable powertrain.

Piston slap is not that common, actually. We now have 5 Subies in the family and not one has had that problem.

The 2005 engine is basically an evolution of the EJ255, so it probably has a lot in common with the existing engines.

-juice
    Glad to hear they took care of you, Lucien. You didn't even need Patti! ;-)

-juice
    not yet anyways!
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    In respect to a plastic cover with foam in it, located behind and under the glove-box, the cover falls off on occasion (assume from a passenger kicking it?) Is there a way to secure this cover? It is a cup shaped cover with the opening facing up. I had brought it in once, when the car was under warrenty, and it was fixed then.

Otherwise, after the waranty expired, the car has been solid! (WRX).
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    and that 92 Loyale is so much quieter! Why? The Forester's idling is erratic and always has been (rpms go up and down). Sounds like "shudder shudder, brrrrrr, hmmmmmmmmmm, shudder shudder". There is no vibration and I could only hear it with the radio off or standing outside, but last weekend it was very obvious when listening to the 92 Loyale parked beside it and hummmming along very contentedly. Dealer says the Forester's idle is normal for this engine. True or false?
    I'm guessing it's part of the HVAC?

If so, the area where my HVAC filter is installed has a cap (though it looks more like an L shaped lid) that secures with two bolts. Maybe one bolt fell off?

-juice
    Well, considering they share the same basic block, the Loyale has a much thicker sidewall insulating the noise.

The Forester's 2.5l is bored out significantly, the cylinder walls are a lot thinner. Plus, any large 4 cylinder will have more shakes to deal with, there's just more reciprocating mass.

What's impressive is that your '93 is still in good tune, so it's kept that advantage.

-juice
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    did you maybe had the A/C running in the 03 and the compressor was kicking in?
  • vtcleovtcleo Member Posts: 5
    Hello all - I have scanned this list and haven't seen this mentioned, so I am posting. My problem:

When filling the gas tank, whether running on fumes, half full, or mostly full, ALL gas pumps shut themselves off every 1/4 gallon. Pumping very slowly helps sometimes, but it still shuts off. Took it to the dealer who called the tech-line and they recommended replacing the vent valve and the filler valve. $600 later, the problem still exists NO IMPROVEMENT! Heeellllpp!

Val
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Did the problem start recently or was it always that way?

If it just started, you may have condensation in your tank - try dumping a can of Dry-Gas in there - see if that helps.
    It was a problem over a year ago, but not as bad, then it improved and seemed to go away, then it started up again several months ago and has been consistently very bad. I waited a few months to see if it would go away on it's own, but it has not. Do you still think it could be water in the tank (I did think that at first, but didn't think it would last this long. I live in the northeast where it can be very wet)

I will try the Dry-Gas.

Thanks
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    No, the AC is never on, except on very hot humid and dusty days (I prefer the windows open not AC), of which we have had none this year so far.

And Juice, the 92 is not mine but belongs to my brother-in-law who came for a visit with his family. It has always been dealer serviced and very well maintained. Mine was a 93 junked last year.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    That might be the case, but it looks like a snap on item vs. a screw in item. I need to bring in the car for the recall notice on the Cruise. When I do, I will have the mechanic look at it.

Basically, I am waiting for the Legacy GT to become more prevalent at dealerships before bringing in my car for the notice. :-)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Based on what you said - it could very well be condensation. DryGas is only a couple of bucks - can't hurt to try.

Keep us posted.
    It was a problem over a year ago, but not as bad, then it improved and seemed to go away, then it started up again several months ago and has been consistently very bad. I waited a few months to see if it would go away on it's own, but it has not. Do you still think it could be water in the tank (I did think that at first, but didn't think it would last this long. I live in the northeast where it can be very wet)

I will try the Dry-Gas.

Thanks
    1.8 or 2.2?

-mike