Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tibbspbtibbspb Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new BMW. With the 07 sedans coming out in October with improved engines, does anyone think BMW will offer rebates? Seems like a buyer should be able to pay under invoice on an 06 once the 07s are out. What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    I got mine at Stevens Creek (San Jose, CA) for $300 above true invoice(Edmunds invoice price), including MACO ($400) and Training Fee ($180). None of the dealers in the Bay area wanted to talk about the .00225 money factor, instead lowest was .00255. A lot of dealers did not even reply to my price/lease request, and I took my business to a dealer who responded to my e-mails and request, and that was Stevens Creek.
  • Options
    rebadebrebadeb Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I'm considering leasing a 2007 328i coupe, I've never leased before and can't quite grasp it. I'd like to get some advice on what questions to ask the dealer when I meet with them (Friday 9/22/06) to make sure I'm not taken to the cleaners :confuse: . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post the information when I get it from them.

Thanks.
  • Options
    stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    Depending on how you like to negotiate, there are a couple different ways.

You can figure out what you want to pay per month, tell the dealer the amount, and see what they can do. This is probably the easiest way, but could also be the most expensive way.

I prefer to go into the negotiation with all info and ask specific questions.

Negot the price first. I was able to get $1000 under MSRP (in Stl) to order a 2007 335i sedan with little trouble. Then ask for lease info.
    Negot the MF (money factor). Current MF for the coupe is .002, but dealers can mark up .0004 more (total of .0024). The .0004 is negot. You may want to split the profit and settle for .0022.
    Residual value is set by BMW FS. It is 58% for 3yr/ 15K miles, 60% for 3yr/12K and 61% for 3yr/10K.
    Acquisition fee (one time fee) can be marked up. Standard is $625, with a $825 max. Negot
    I am sure there are other fees that you may have to negot. Ask for details of each to figure out if it seems reasonable.
    To lower your monthly payment, you have the option of lowering the MF by .00007 for each security deposit you put down. A sec dep equals a monthly payment. You get your money back at the end of the lease. Not a bad deal if you have money to put down that is sitting in a low interest savings account. I am not sure of the number...I believe you can put 5 MSD to lower the MF by .00035. Play with the calculations using the lower MF to see if it works for you.
    IMO, you should not put money down on the principal. If your car is totaled or stolen, the lease comes with gap isurance to pay off the lease. If you put money down, you are SOL. Rather than paying down principal, I would use the MSD option to lower your payment.

Figure out the lease payment by going to http://www.leaseguide.com/, plug in the numbers to figure out your payment.

If you are a BMW CCA member, you can save $500 off the negotiated price. Do not share that you are a CCA member until after you have negot the final deal.

Other things to consider...
    going over the allocated mileage will cost you $.20/mile at time you turn in car. I believe you can pay $.16/mile for each mile you estimate you will be over within 6 months of the lease ending.
    http://fs.bmwusa.com/BMWFSPulp/VEHLEA_Wear.htm describes the normal wear & tear vs. what you have to pay for bigger issues when turning in the lease.
    You are limited to the mods you can make
  • Options
    rebadebrebadeb Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the speedy response stl540,

That's alot of information, but very helpful. I will definitely post the figures I get from the dealer, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the days to come!!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    wrightrdwrightrd Member Posts: 10
    stl540 - Great post.

Interested to hear more about what you mean, by "if you are a BMW CCA" member you can save an add'l $500. Is this the rebate form that the club provides? I wouldn't see that as part of the negotiation, as that transaction occurs between BMW USA and the buyer directly, without dealer intervention. Or are you referencing another program? Specific to your dealer?

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    tonytchintonytchin Member Posts: 1
    The car I e-mailed you about yesterday is a Jet Black with Black Leatherette, 330xi. The MSRP of the car is $41,915, and the sale price is $39,995.

The following figures reflect a 24 month, 24,000 mile lease.

$537 per month with $2,000 due at delivery

$490 per month with $2,980 due at delivery

Money factor: .00246 (approximately 5.9%)

I got the quote from a dealer in wisconsin above, how much can i get it down to? i though bmw 330 should be havin a special rate now.. but seems it is still quite high.anyone help please
  • Options
    wxfatpc4wxfatpc4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am new here, and I am kind of wondering that the price ppl talked here, is that included tax/license fee?

I got a BMW quote recently in So Cal area:
    06 325i
    titanium silver
    base + auto
    power front seat
    heated front seat
    satellite preparation

33100 before tax/license

Is this price too high or reasonable?
  • Options
    mathew1mathew1 Member Posts: 42
    My feedback is this is ok but you can improve. Invoice including MACO is $32,415. So you can shoot for 32,750 since it is a model change but just a few hundreds difference.
  • Options
    wxfatpc4wxfatpc4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot. I will try to do that.
  • Options
    jlnybergjlnyberg Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to buy the new 328xi for European Delivery. Does anyone have good/bad feedback for using the Seattle or Bellevue WA BMW dealers? Any recommendation on who to deal with or best way to approach the process?
  • Options
    Wrightrd - you are correct. You submit the claim directly to BMW USA. I was under the impression that the price would be taken off at time of purchase. There is no need to even bring it up with the dealer. Here are the specifics of the program.

http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/BMWCCA/Documents/BMWCCAMemberRewardProgram.pdf
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I want to say there was a Dealer in Oregon that was well versed in ED. Id have to check that though.

DL
  • Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Was this a lease?

If so, what was the MF you ended up with and what were the other terms like MSRP, negotiated price, drive off and monthly?

What is strange is the other day, I tried to go to the Stevens Creek BMW site but it wouldn't load. Plus from the BMW site, they pointed me to Mountain View BMW, even though the zip I entered is much closer to Stevens Creek.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    One important point.... you have to have been a member for at least one full year to become eligible for the program.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Lease for 36/10,000.

Edmunds/BMW MSRP $33,420.
    Edmunds invoice $30,705.
    Dealer invoice $31,285(MACO $400 and Training fee $180.00)
    Edmunds TMV $31,497(without MACO and Training fee)
    Options: Automatic, metallic paint, and satellit prep that's on just about all cars)

Sale Price: 31,005, MF=.00265, Acq=825. Down=2,000 and monthly=442.00(8.5% tax included). Pep Boys' $9.99 mats were free.

Dealers profit = 825(acq) + 300(car) + MF difference from base (.00225) vs. (.00265) 790 = 1,915.

I went with basic due to leather on the BMW's being little inferior vs. Lexas or Infiniti. The leatherette's leather smell will wear off in about couple of months but I can manage the soft vinyl for 3 years.

I also noticed that Stevens Creek site was off-line couple of days ago, in the a.m.
  • Options
    The dealer doesn't get the $825 acquisition fee... $625 of it goes to BMWFS, and the dealer gets to keep 70% of the extra $200.... So, only $140 of that is dealer profit..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    So you paid $2000 upfront in addition to the taxes, license/registration, first month?

To lower your monthly payment?

So your driveoff was over $3k?
  • Options
    My driveoff was $2,000 with around 740.00 going to cap reduction. The dealers would not budge on .00265, nor the 825.00 acq. Happy with the lease, as it drives much better than the Accord, especially up hill in Pacific Heights.
  • Options
    bmworaudibmworaudi Member Posts: 5
    This is what I was offered a Crevier and I just feel like I could do better. Agree or disagree?

06 325i,
    Arctic Silver
    Premium package
    Auto
    Xenon

She said she could "give" me the car at $35,700. MSRP is just over 37K invoice is closer to $34K I would be leasing so here were the terms. An actually the numbers below are for if she could get me the car for $35,000!

12K/36 month lease.
    .0028 MF
    63% residual
    payment of $455
    $4000 drive of which includes, all taxes, fees, cap reduction, first payment etc...

I think my cap reduction was $2100 and bank fee of $825.

In my opinion the price of the car is high, the MF is high and their charging me the extra $200 in bank fees.

Tell me what you think?
  • Options
    Seems like you have a good handle on it...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Meaning...That my assumptions are correct. I just like reassurance :) If it were a good deal I would want to know that too. Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes.... I agree with all of your thoughts...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you. I can rest better now!
  • Options
    eds1300 said 'I went with basic due to leather on the BMW's being little inferior vs. Lexas or Infiniti.'

IMO, the BMW leather is not inferior. The leather in the Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura is definitely softer to the touch than BMW. BMw leather is very tight and strong, with still being comfortable. BMW leather does not have the typical holes the size of a pencil tip that almost every other leather seat will have. The holes are very fine on the back side of the BMW leather, still allowing the leather to breathe without the look of the millions of holes. The BMW leather is also very durable. It is difficult to scratch, unlike the other mentioned cars. I have a 4.5 year old 540i with leather. It is as perfect as when I purchased the car, even with 2 kids under 5 years old. The leather in our Acura is easier to scratch and also captures items in the little holes that are spilled (milk, food, etc). I like the clean, smooth look of the BMW leather.

I had a loaner 325i w/ leatherette for 4 days. The leatherette feels like it will be durable, but it definitely does not have the same comfort of leather. I was happy to get back to the leather seats in my 5. I am not trying to say you should buy leather (save the cows) :). Just giving me $.02.
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    i am trying to find out what is the invoice price of this car with msrp of $47100 with europian delivery
  • Options
    calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    Amir: Go to bimmerfest.com or e90post.com, all the invoice prices are posted there as stickys.
  • Options
    dprecocious1dprecocious1 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to lease a 2007 328xi in the next couple of weeks and have gotten quotes from a couple dealers thus far. I am interested in doing a European delivery and this is what I've been quoted:

MSRP: $50,515 (fully loaded except 18" wheels/tires)
    Capitalized Cost: $47,000
    Down Payment: ($8,724.34 (Includes title, tax, tags, destination, security deposit, and first two months payment)
    Monthly payment: $611
    Money Rate: .00335 or 8.04%

The money rate seemed kinda high to me just based on my own research online but they said it was because I was doing a European delivery. Is this a good deal or do you think I can do better if I shopped it around some more. With European delivery I get $2,595 off the North American MSRP. The invoice for a North American 328xi fully loaded is about $46,500. So the price doesn't seem too bad although I'd like to see if I can get lower. It the money factor that I'm most concerned about. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated from anyone.

Thanks!
  • Options
    quasiactuaryquasiactuary Member Posts: 50
    "I estimate I would save ~$4500 picking up in Europe vs. paying MSRP for a 335i doing ED. If I spend $1K to travel, I will still be $3500 on the plus side. "

Are you saying that you think that negotiated ED price would be $4,500 lower than non-ED MSRP? If so, most of the "$3,500 on the plus side" is from negotiating away from MSRP, not from ED savings....right? It looked to me like ED savings is more like $2,500 on a 335i (so $1,500 on the plus side if travel costs are $1,000).

Is there some reason why dealers would be more willing to deal on ED cars?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    ED deals do not count against allocations. So Bob's BMW is allocated 300 3 series cars a year. An ED deal for Bob means that he sends in the order, you pick up the car, it gets sent to him and he has you pick it up. they get the profit over ED invoice. So 1k profit (common negotiated deal) for ED = $1000 extra in a dealer's pocket and he still gets his 300 cars to sell.

If you go by BMWUSA's ridiculous site pricing for ED the dealer will make over 2k on the deal. They'll gladly cut that sucker for you.
  • Options
    quasiactuaryquasiactuary Member Posts: 50
    THANK YOU!!! It finally makes sense to me. So it sounds like ED is a MUCH better deal on for a newly released car like the 335i since non-ED will be selling at (or very close to) MSRP for a while.

I think I'll be able to cash in frequent flier miles for a free flight so ED sounds like an even better deal to me.

My head says to wait a year or two before switching cars....my heart says order one today....I'll have to wait and see which wins. :)
  • Options
    Since no one wated to help me out and respond to my question, I figured I'd try to help somebody else out and let them know what I've found out so far since posting my question. I was originally quoted:

Capitalized Cost: $47,000
    Down Payment: ($8,724.34 (Includes title, tax, tags, destination, security deposit, and first two months payment)
    Monthly payment: $611
    Money Rate: .00335 or 8.04%

I wanted to know if this was a good deal or not. But since posting I've been able to negotiate even better rates. I've gotten:

Capitalized Cost: $42,625 (Includes Capitalized Cost Reduction)
    Down Payment: ($8,000. (Includes title, tax, tags, destination, security deposit, and first two months payment)
    Monthly payment: $566
    Money Rate: .00325 or 7.80%

This seems like a much better deal but I'm still curious as to if I caa get lower if I shop it around some more. This is all based on European Delivery so I get $2,595 off MSRP and then I was able to negotiate an additional $2,020 off the remaining invoice. This is also based on 61% reesidual value.

At any rate, what this has made abundantly clear to me is that dealers have alot more room to negotiate with the European Delivery option. Either that or my negotiating skills are really good. Either way before my down payment is applied (Capitalized cost reduction) the selling price is $45,900 which is below North American invoice for a fully loaded vehicle.

This is starting to look better and better each day. I'll keep all posted if I'm able to negotiate an even better deal.
  • Options
    You're putting 8k into a lease?!

Euro Delivery is more like 5-6k off MSRP, not 2.5k. Read the following for a clearer understanding of leases and ED:

blueguydotcom, "BMW: European Delivery" #1205, 27 Sep 2006 9:48 am
  • Options
    Consider this...

MSRP: 45000
    Cap cost reduction of: $5000

Figure out the payments with and without the $5000 down. What's the difference?

Now put that $5,000 into a an ING direct savings account (4.4% right now). Subtract the difference each month and multiply the monthly interest (0.00333) to the remainder.

You'll come out ahead if you keep your cash on hand in a savings account. And if the car is destroyed in a wreck - you won't be out any cash. If you put 5k into a lease and the car is destroyed you're out your downpayment.
  • Options
    thanks for this info. I never really stopped to think about it that way. What you're saying makes perfect sense. So the only thing taht I should be paying out the door is tax, title, tags, first month, security deposit and acquisition fees Right?

This is my first lease so I don't believe they'll let me roll the aforementioned costs into my payments.
  • Options
    wow thanks alot for this info. What a fool I've been. And here it is I thought I was getting a good deal. I called my dealerships up and hopefully one of them will give me a call back and agree to the $44900 fully loaded price for my 328xi. I'll keep you posted and thanks for your sage advice and info.
  • Options
    jerseymike1jerseymike1 Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted a price of $47,265 (including $695 destination fee) for the following 335 coupe:

manual, sparkling graphite, saddle brown, premium package, sport package, navigation, satellite radio, and park distance control.

Is this a good price? FYI - I'm from North Jersey. Thanks.
  • Options
    What's the MSRP?
  • Options
    dterriedterrie Member Posts: 7
    I've recently test-driven both the 335i and 328i coupes, and have been frankly disappointed in the engines. Rough feel, iffy performance. I drove a 530i that felt a bit better, but nothing to write home about. I drove a second 328i that was a bit better than the first. The salesperson keeps reassuring me that it's just engine break-in, but frankly I was so disappointed in the 335i, I've settled on the 328i if I do go forward. I owned a 1980 528i for ten years and these engines don't measure up. However, BMW would not get the reviews it gets if my experience were universal. Should I ask to drive a 330i to get the feel of a broken in engine? Hard to spend 40K+ on faith alone. I could lease an Acura TL for $200 less if I just want to cruise around.

I do currently drive a 2004 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 (coming off lease in January), which has a great engine, very smooth and powerful, so maybe it's just the 6 vs 8 thing. But honestly, shouldn't even an un-broken in BMW 328i or 335i give you the smooth surge of power I remember? Being on the highway at about 50-60 mph, dropping into third and flooring it - now that was fun, a little hesitation and you were at 6000 rpm and shifting into 4th. Phew.

Finally, is $1000 off MSRP a reasonable negotiating target? I'm a Costco member, and have made contact through the program, but I don't know what kind of discount they've negotiated on the new coupe, if any. I'm also told that when I order, if the money rate at delivery in January is better, I'll get the better rate. Any chance the money factor will be better then? The quote I got seems like the money factor was in the .0022+ range when I put an MSRP of $43,845 for a 328i into the Lease Guide calculator and tried to match the quoted payment of $660 per month plus tax. I added the $695 handling charge and 0 down otherwise.
  • Options
    Hello,

I am new to leasing as well but I've done a fair amount of research onthe vehicels that I'm planning to lease and I've been able to negotiate the following rates for the BMW's my wife and I are interested in:

2007 328xi fully Loaded (except 18' wheel/tire package): $44,900

2007 335i Full Loaded: $48,500

These prices are European delivery and I'''be seeking a 24 month term with 15k miles for each one. I negotiated $1,200 profit for the dealer, which he told me he could do, but then he came back and metioned a advertising ($250 and training fee ($180) that will add $430 more to my negotiated price. Is this a fair deal or should this price have already been included in the invoice?
  • Options
    jerseymike1jerseymike1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about that. MSRP, including destination, is $48,265.
  • Options
    This is great information. But shoud training and advertising fees be included in the price the dealer quotes you or can he add that part on the back end and make even more money off of you?
  • Options
    Training and MACO are never part of ED. If it's lot purchase it's part of the final invoice they have on the car. Adding it on after negotiating price is a sneaky move.

If you look at BMW's pricing sheet you'll see the training fee is listed on invoices (not so on ED purchases). Any dealer adding training/maco after you bargain to go for X dollars over invoice is trying to make more dough on the backend.
  • Options
    drsn97umdrsn97um Member Posts: 1
    new to leasing, please help
    Toledo, OH
    car is 06 330i with premium, cold weather, sport, upgraded stereo, sat radio prep
    jet black/black
    MSRP 43440

36 month/10k mi per year
    zero down
    $1219 due at signing including $600 security and first month, and $50 is for license plate/registration
    $569/month (taxes included)
    anything else I should watch out for or details that I should find out?
  • Options
    First, go to httpL//www.leaseguide.com and read up on how leases are constructed.

Second, what's your negotiated price? What's the money factor they're using? Residual they quoted to you?
  • Options
    carlaw1carlaw1 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Need to help with my first lease. Looking at a 2007 335i with a purchase price of $45,000 even. I feel like I have negotiated a decent purchase price (MSRP of 46,800), but need to know if I am getting the best in the remainder of the deal.

My issue is with the BMW 335i lease special of $529/month (36 months), $2,500 down, $550 security deposit, 10,000 miles/year, based on a car with an MSRP of $42,570. Is this better than calculating a lease based on the lowest available money factor?

I have plugged in the numbers for a $45,000 car (2,500 difference: really more like half because of residual value), 0 down (2,500 difference), 15,000 miles (50-100 difference?), MF of .0020, and it does not seem to match up with the lease special. What should me lease payment be sans tax? MF? Residual?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Your dealership should provide the residual and MF numbers. If they won't...then they're up to something sneaky.
  • Options
    toolmaker1toolmaker1 Member Posts: 7
    Tried to buy anouther honda accord coupe,but couldnt strike a deal with three different dealers in my area.Anyway struck a deal and ordered a 2007 328xi coupe MSRP 45,200.Salesman knocked 1500.00 off and bought my 2001 honda for10,500. because i"m leasing.Three year lease 12,000 mi. MF .00225 ACQ fee 625.00 500. down DOC fee 45.00 SEC deposit 650.00.From what I'f read ,I should not add anymore money to the down payment.That makes it a sizable monthly payment.Needed the AWD because live in upstate N.Y.
    Luckily my brother is a BMW mechanic where i bought the car.
    Been watching the BMW web site on the cars prgress.Was loaded on a ship fiday 6 th. Anyone know how long it takes to cross the atlatic ocean too the port of new jersy.?
  • Options
    2007 335i coupe (coupe?)
    3yr/30K lease
    Residual 61%
    MF .0020

46,800 MSRP
    45,000 Selling price
    45,625 CAP cost (selling price + acq.fee)

Monthly payment = $623/mo.+ tax
    Due at signing = 1st pymt, security deposit, title/license.
    (about $1400-$1500 + tax).

45K lease drops residual to 58%, raises payment to $659+TAX

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    lsulaw52lsulaw52 Member Posts: 2
    Is it normal for internet managers to try and screw you on the price so you will come into the dealership?

This is what I got offered over the phone:
    06 325i
    Auto, base
    MSRP 32950
    No reduction on MSRP
    I think 61%
    Not sure on money factor
    $2K down
    Quoted me 520/month
    He wants me to come to dealership and talk further.

I've also gotten terrible quotes on a H3 and a Infiniti g35 coupe over the phone. Should I just go to the dealerships and stop trying over the phone? I even had one salesman tell me he hates dealing over the phone, but would "try" it for me.