Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I wish they were true. AWD, CVT, and a 200 HP engine all wrapped in a nice and compact body.... Sounds more like something between a Latitude and our Odyssey. (Lagreat in Japan)I'd like one though. The blue color looks really nice.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That's the JDM Odyssey sold in Asia, Oz, and NZ.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Well i was just wondering and you all know that honda said that they will introduce a statioon wagon to US and i think it might be that one on the pictures that have the turining HID's and sice it has 5 doors and they are not sliding ones it just might be that one the station wagon that honda is going to introduce to the US. But whatever the case this station wagon or JDM ody still looks great! and also on that little paragraph on the top of the pics they said that it would be a vehicle that would sell good in the US .
  • jaybilyeujaybilyeu Member Posts: 1
    I find the Honda Odyssey (2002-2004) driver's seat uncomfortable, even in the new leather. I hope they improve it in the 2005 (My Dad had a 95 Town and Country with comfortable leather seats).
  • allen42allen42 Member Posts: 12
    Why did Honda eliminate the 2row headrest from the middle seat? Just a question!!!
    most likely the Honda Stream, to be rebadged Latitude. There's a discussion over in Wagons about the Latitude. Not much info over there- just speculation. The JDM Odyssey would be nice! 200 HP with CVT and AWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • aux05aux05 Member Posts: 1
    I am disgusted with the concept Ody! Ick! I'd rather have my old Ody than the new one coming out in Japan. I hope that doesn't show up here in the US!
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    will this be a spring launch or wait for next fall. the sienna and quest get more and more sales, especially when you talk to salespeople from nissan and toyo, telling you why buy the last year of a model.
    all the fake wood is gone. (A little bit on high end models, perhaps some on the EX-L NAV+RES+Sunroof, but not too much)
  • st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    If 2005 Odyssey will look like in your links, it will be 100% leader in 2 weeks. Fantastic design and features.
    should become a leader once it comes out. That's the beauty of coming out a year later than the competition. Gives you time to study up on your competitions' products and to improve on their designs.
    "That's the beauty of coming out a year later than the competition. Gives you time to study up on your competitions' products and to improve on their designs."

Actually they have very little time to change anything major at this point. Designs are typically set quite some time before introduction. Suppliers have quoted prices, tooling is on order, process flow is being created. They might be able to tweak some minor stuff, but major features are done.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Now we're seeing eye-to-eye :-)
    Yeah, real wood, but just a little bit, not too much.

In fact, on my '03 Ody, I've added REAL mapple wood, but only a little bit. 99% of all people would think I'm 100% nuts, but I bought this kit which contains 24 pieces of wood, and I'm only using 4 pieces---one piece of wood around the NAV, one wood around the left front door power window controls, one piece around the right front door window control, and one piece for the center fold-down cupholder.
    Although it's still never as good as a factory installed real woodtrim, I'm striving for quality, instead of quantity.

I hope the '05 Ody will have both NAV+RES in addition to the woodtrim+leather combination. However, even if it will have just either the NAV or RES, I will just get the NAV and forget about the RES.
    Besides, I would much rather be talking to my two little princes than having them watching some silly purple dinosaur named Barney.

Summer of 2004 will be a good Summer.
    ...I think the new Ody's woodtrim looks kind of like my real mappa burl woodtrim from Joshua Tree Woodtrim. It looks great.
  • dvshelleydvshelley Member Posts: 3
    Who else thinks that mounting the trans gear select shifter on the dash is a waste of perfectly good dash space? And it's ugly.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    robr2 - You seem the only one know the new Odyssey (not U.S. Odyssey) is for JDM and Asian countries only. I don't know why that link called it 2005. It is just debut in Japan this month as a 2004 model. If you folks still don't believe it, try www.honda.co.jp/ODYSSEY/

'99 & up Odyssey (U.S.) = LaGreat (Japan)
    prior '99 Odyssey (U.S.) = Odyssey (Japan)
    I think many people are confused because the Odyssey name is used on multiple vehicles in Honda's line-up. Heck they even have an ATV and motorcycle with the same name.

I don't profess to be an expert, but if one follows the link in this post:

fromsuv2van Oct 17, 2003 3:38pm

It says right on on top: New Odyssey for Japan Market.

Why anyone would expect Honda to step back from the success of the current sliding door Ody and go back to the failure of the swinging door design on a new North American model is beyond me.
    Here are some pictures of the ASM concept AKA (2005 Honda Odyssey) at the Tokyo Motor Show http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2003tms/
                                                  Just click on the Honda ASM Concept
    I agree you do lose some space. However, it looks a lot cooler. I'm all for having a gated shifter on the dash.
  • fromsuv2vanfromsuv2van Member Posts: 15
    RBR2 is correct. The 05 ODY North American version, whatever form/design it will become, will have dual sliding door. Engines (LX, EX) will be V6, not 4 cylinders. AWD will be an option. Although I believe the instrument lighting will be white or blue (a la Accord), not red (red is for Acura).
    Although I think regular doors are cool too, I think the sliding doors are more practical for a minivan. Besides, I love powered dual sliding doors plus a powered hatch door.
    Yeah! This is what I think the '05 Odyssey (for U.S. market) should look like... DVD screens for all three rows and shifter on the dash, seating for eight. I read some articles that AWD, power rear door, side curtain airbags for three rows will be an option. This definitely a threat to Sienna. I am not sure about the hybrid engine.
    I don't think I want some idiot on a cell phone watching The Matrix Reloaded while driving.....
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ...or some idiot talegating and watching the DVD located at any row, from his/her car. ;o
    some idiot driving down the road in his or her Ford Excursion and watching The Matrix Reloaded on the Odyssey in front of him or her.
    let's hope andrewtran does not get on an Odyssey focus group and suggest 3 rows of DVD players.
    we'd see a bunch of nearly new 2005 Odysseys salvaged and the DVD monitors were installed on all of them.
    with all that salvage, there'd be more units available for those that had a desire to get one installed post-sale as perhaps they'd find the prices falling.

that is if the LCDs could survive the G forces.

when i've found myself behind vehicles touting multiple displays, or someone on a flip phone...

...i change lanes.
    smart move.
    Uh, no, man, I'm not that crazy!

I think the purpose of the DVD RES is to keep the kids from screaming out of control in the 2nd and 3rd row.
    However, I'm all for not letting that happen in the first place, right?

I think my next purchase will only have NAV, which I believe is absolutely invaluable, as many people on board my Ody have already witnessed.
    Thus, I now hope Honda will keep the options the same: one with RES and one with NAV.
    However, if they combine the two, I would get the RES just to get my NAV.

My eyes are on the road in front of me at all times even when I talk to my wife in the car next to me.
    Three rows of DVD screens is not a good idea, probably same thing with the vanity mirrors and cup holders. There are too many distraction these days like cellphone. Don't you hate if when you are driving behind these people. Again, the ASM concept is very impressive. I hope this is the one for 2005 model production. Thanks for the link.
    can't possibly be on the road all the time, if you look down at the NAV occasionally. ;)

OK, I don't own one, so a few questions for you:

1). if the audio is good enough, can you shut off the screen (thus completely avoid the temptation of driving with your eyes off the road in front of you) and still have it provide you with information to prepare you for upcomming landmarks, routes, turns, exits?

2). do you have to get RES to get NAV? That seems crazy. Or is it that you get NAV for "free" with the RES?

3). is the ODY NAV DB uptodate? i read people complaining about an outdated database and high cost to update once it becomes available.
    Okay, you got....nobody's perfect :-)

1) I have never tried it, I think you can shut off the display while the NAV is on. You can manually change the brightness of the display from OFF to DIM to very bright. The Audio is very clear---CD quality audio.

2) No, as of now, you can either get FACTORY NAV or factory RES, but NOT BOTH. So you can get an Ody EX-L w/DVD RES or EX-L w/NAV. I bought the NAV, of course, and added the DVD RES afterwards since my wife really wanted it.

This is not so with TOYOTA. If you want FACTORY NAV on the Sienna, you must get the whole package which includes DVD RES. However you could just get RES without the NAV on the Sienna, which tells me that NAV is truly a luxury item :-) If you want NAV in a Sienna, you must pay pay for RES.

3) I'm afraid all NAV are outdated the very second they come out. However, most roads don't change.
    I will be updating my '03 Ody's NAV this late November 2003 as soon as the new NAV is available. The new NAV disc is suppose to be $185. It is a dual layered DVD 8.5GB, 7 Million Points of Interest, instead of the older 4.7GB disc.
    The NAV on the Ody is Alpine---also used in BMW, Mercedes, Acura, and a lot of cars, except Lexus.
    I can't wait.
    I've used the NAV numerous times in Texas. With it, I am never afraid of being lost. Yes, some roads have changed and some roads are new and not yet on the old NAV, but that does not stop me from finding my way to any destination. Most roads are on the NAV even if a small section of that road has been modified recently.
    Still hope Honda will offer both items on future Odyssey like the Toyota Sienna and some of the Toyota vehicles. Just looked at a fully loaded '04 Lexus RX330. You can watch the DVD movie on the nav. screen only when the car is in "P" or emergency brake on. The nav. screen also serves as a backup camera display.
    Oh, I have no doubt the '05 Ody will have the same features since they are already in the Acura line. In fact, Acura had the rearview camera even before Lexus put them in their vehicles.
    Fact is, we are all just making educated guesses about the '05 Ody. But we all get the feeling that it will be the most advanced minivan ever.
    I believe it will have the same effect as it did back when the Ody first came out and blew everyone away.
    For me, it's hard to make a minivan look good on the outside, so the most important thing is to make it look similar to the curren Ody, except had more chrome on grill, back, sides (like Lexus, Infiniti, etc.). But the inside of the '05 Ody pics looks so good I can't believe it's not a Lexus:-) I reminds me (with the woodtrim+leather+all that) of the Lexus GX470, except with a lot more room.
    Which leads me to the question: will the '05 Ody be bigger on the inside than the '04 Ody and Sienna?
    I want NAV with Cloth, but I'll buy leather down the road if I have to.
    no RES. Otherwise, no NAV and a big Rand McNally Road Atlas sittin in the passenger seat floorwell.
    This is what i want on my 2005 Honda Odyssey. NAV, Leather, Sunroof, Power Folding Rear Seat, Power Hatch, 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels, Wood Trim (should be standard on EX-L), Outside Temperature Monitor, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlights, Curtain Side Airbags, Tri-Zone Climate Control, Fog Lights, ABS, EBD, TRAC, VSC. The price of the 2005 Ody with all of this should not be any higher than the 2004 Sienna XLE Limited price. So that's all i want . Let's hear what you guys want on your 2005 Honda Odyssey!!.
    I bascial want the same equipments that what player4 has described. I wish it will look like the Honda ASM concept. The power rear hatch and power folding 3rd row seat will be the selling point for the van if Honda wants to put them in. A new 270hp V6 engine from '04 Acura TL will be nice. And sunroof, side curtain airbags for three rows and power windows on both sliding doors are the must have items on future Odyssey. I hope it will cheaper than Sienna XLE Limited. It cost as much as $41K for fully loaded Sienna. Finally, I hope the future Odyssey will have less trouble than the current one and Honda will keep up the demands.
    My list:
    1)Chrome grill and chrome bodyline and rear accent
    2)17" wheels, leather, Golden Birds Eye Maple
      Woodtrim, tow hitch receiver on the EX-L
      (wood+leather on steering wheel and gated
      shifter+chrome around the shifter)
    3)HID headlight
    4)Side curtain airbags for all three rows
    5)Stability control, traction, break assist
    6)AWD
    7)7" Voice-activated NAV + back up camera and
      sensor.
    8)powered hatch/back door+powered dual side doors
    9)complete roof rack with crossbars

Okay, basically make it into a Lexus but keep the price below the Sienna:-)

***hee***hee***hee
    for an LX would not include your #s 1,2,3,6,7,8 or 9. probably not on your LX list either...

essentially for an LX, I'd like to see the side curtains added, maybe a digital compass and outside air temp, better fuel economy, better tires. essentially the same formula as today with an improvement in passenger safety, economy, and quietness in ride.

why break with essentially a winning formula? ;)

as for your #5: yes on TCS, yes on EBD (we have these today), but potentially no (lions and tigers and bears OH MY) on VSC (or whatever Honda dubs "Stability Control" technology).

I'm still waiting to know if people with the new Toyota's are incurring any engine derating due to Toyota's VSC system during cornering. my mind isn't made up on that technology, but that's just me.

oh yes, last but not least: i'd just say no to wood trim; hold the cheese please.
    Cloth seats with NAV?
    Forget it, man, it's not going to happen.
    The NAV is a luxury item and it will be grouped with a luxury trim, which means leather, woodtrim, etc.
    Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you and some others like jchan2, woodtrim is the new fade and we can see that being applied everywhere in luxury vehicles and even in trucks these days, which I think is overkill, but that's just me.
    I just can't imagine a Lexus without woodtrim.
    I think a top of the line Ody should be considered a luxury vehicle.
    andrewtran71 - i hope this is a "fade" and not a fad. sorry, i couldn't help myself. ;)

lux or not, i think, cars should be cars, not living rooms.

i guess i need to look in a lexus to see what i've been missing all these years. i can't fathom how some tiny pieces of the stuff could possibly improve my experience, unless i was trying to impress.

is that what its about?
    NAV w/ back up camera
    Rear Sonar Sensors
    Leather
    Power Sunroof
    power hatch/sliding doors
    VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist, it's used on many Acura models)
    curtain airbags
    Compass/Temperature monitor
    power fold flat third row seats
    17' Alloy Wheels
    And that's it.
    Target Price: $30-$31K, no RES!!!!!!!
    Automatic Climate Control
    hold the wood!!!
  • cvn03cvn03 Member Posts: 2
    Probably invoice price at $30-31K, but with dealer gouging for new model, I suspect it will be in high $30K, maybe even near $40K for this wishlist.
    ---------------------
    NAV w/ back up camera
    Rear Sonar Sensors
    Leather
    Power Sunroof
    power hatch/sliding doors
    VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist, it's used on many Acura models)
    curtain airbags
    Compass/Temperature monitor
    power fold flat third row seats
    17' Alloy Wheels
    And that's it.
    Target Price: $30-$31K, no RES!!!!!!!
    Automatic Climate Control
    Don't forget the 270hp V6 engine without using premium fuel.
    Hey i just got an email from Mercedes Benz and the 2004 SL Class has a 7 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! that is amazing!

By the way i alson want my 2005 Honda Odyssey with all those things i said on the message i posted before and i also want the interior to be Gray with Gray Leather, and a Dark Blue, Silver, Dark Gray, or Black Exterior. and that van will look terrific!!!!
    (I KNOW THE THING ABOUT THE 2004 MERCEDES BENZ SL CLASS WITH THE 7 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IS OFF THE SUBJECT WITH THE HONDA ODYSSEY BUT IT JUST AMAZED ME TO SEE THAT)
    I can get by without the VSA, alloy wheels, and power liftgate..... target price: $30K Out the Door....... HOLD THE WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.