Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• Options
    jwankeljwankel Member Posts: 13
    I'm hoping for memory seats in the '05. We've got it in our Acura TL-S now and it's fantastic. When you have power seats and switch drivers, it can be difficult to get the seat exactly right again. With memory seats, I use my keyfob and my seat is back to my settings when I get it.
  • Options
    player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    I just read The Temple of V-TEC and i saw that the Honda ASM Concept is shorter than the US Honda Odyssey. Here are the dimensions:

ASM Concept / US Odyssey
    Overall Length: 4840mm / 5110mm
    Width: 1830mm / 1920mm
    Height: 1790mm / 1770mm
    Wheelbase: 2900mm / 3000mm

As you guys can see the ASM is about 4 inches narrower than US ODY, 4 inches shorter wheelbase than US ODY, and more than 10.5 inches shorter than the US Odyssey.

Now what do you guys think about that?
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think it might be a risky move, but I'd still buy one. Why might it be risky? Because since most Americans are living in the SUV age, they're thinking that bigger is better, and that may hurt future Odyssey sales if it becomes shorter like the ASM concept.
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Yeah, the wood is just for looks. I guess it's suppose to represent a "step-up" from the crowd.
    I will admit that most woodtrims look like crap. But some woodtrims do look nice. I think Lexus has the best blend of woodtrim and leather.
    Although looks is not the most important factor in buying a minivan, it is the one obvious thing that separates one vehicle from another.
    It's not about practicality. It's not about needs.
    It's about the feeling of luxury.
    However, I can understand if someone just does not like woodtrim period. It's like how can you blame a person for not liking a certain piece of clothing, right? It's all sujective stuff.
    Some like woodtrim and some don't.
  • Options
    I like small amounts of it, but having an entire dashboard is just waaaay too much.
  • Options
    tsxtsx Member Posts: 32
    The reason the ASM concept was short is because it was shown as a concept model and because it was based on Japanese model.

Obviously, The US Model will be overall bigger than the concept model so it can compete against the new models.
  • Options
    j2harveyj2harvey Member Posts: 2
    Check out the new 2005 Odyssey information at http://www.honda.co.jp/ODYSSEY/

These photos and videos are really exciting--especially if they accurately represent the vehicle headed here mid/late next year. I think that Honda may have really hit the mark this time!
  • Options
    look more like the Latitude we might get in the states.
  • Options
    dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    are definitely of the Japanese market, like the old US version with 4 regular sedan-type doors. See http://www.honda.co.jp/ODYSSEY/gallery/
  • Options
    j2harveyj2harvey Member Posts: 2
    Look carefully at the "TV-CM Next Proportion" video at http://www.honda.co.jp/ODYSSEY/gallery/

Just as the Odyssey makes its last turn, note the American flag...seems like quite a bother to film this vehicle in an American city if its not headed here...

For me, I'd be delighted if this is the new Odyssey we are to expect here in the USA mid/late 2004.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    American things are "exotic" to the Japanese so maybe that was the reason for filming it in the US.

I wouldn't be suprised to see it brought here as an Acura to compete with the Cadillac SRX, Infiniti FX35 and the new MB GST. It is essentially a crossover and offered in AWD IIRC.

But IMHO, there is no way that vehicle would replace the current NA Odyssey. It would be a step backwards.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    this is a 2005 Odyssey for U.S. And I think we all know this already. Again, this is a JDM Odyssey. The JDM Honda LaGreat is the U.S. (North America market) Odyssey. There is no way Honda will build this 4 regular doors minivan for us. Just keep thinking the ASM concept will be the next Odyssey for U.S.
  • Options
    I think they will just keep the same body shape of the current Ody, but modify the lights, grill, and back a little. Honda is too smart to make drastic changes to the already red hot Ody. The major place for changes will be the interior and it looks spanking hot exciting.
    I am telling you guys, the interior of the top-of-the-line Odyssey looks better than any vehicle out there period. Man, it looks exciting. There is no doubt in my mind it will take all the heat away from the hot Sienna.
    It is going to be a winner--big time.
  • Options
    look what they did to the Accord. Not as bad as the eighties Ford screwup on the Taurus. But pretty nasty IMHO. I just can't reconcile the current bump-on-the-road shape with the still classy looking former Accord body. So, they might feel pressured to do something different (the exact reason that most haute couture is utter rubbish).
  • Options
    consumers want a fresh exterior- they don't want their brand new 2005 Odyssey looking just like my 2002 Odyssey right down the road.......
  • Options
    if it's uglier?
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    yeah, i think my '94 accord looks much more pleasing than one of the newer models. i suppose i'm in a minority...

with that said, i also tend to think our '03 ODY STILL looks much nicer than the other mini-vans out there.

i wouldn't be opposed if the vehicle were slightly smaller. OMG - that must run somewhat contrary to alot of people's opinions. don't get me wrong, I like and appreciate the interior room of the ODY, and yet I can appreciate the smaller size of the MPV, and the older model ODYs.

smaller means better handling characteristics, better mileage, better manuverability. there's something to be said for all of those.

and yet, i would tend to agree with some posters that if Honda tossed the sliders, they'd be potentially shooting themselves in the foot. a slider, specially on a larger vehicle like the ODY makes access INSIDE a proto-typical garage or parking space both possible and practical.

so - that video looks like a great concept. maybe there will be another line somewhere between Accord Wagon (are they still available) and the ODY?
  • Options
    I think the new Accord looks much better than any of the previous Accord. I think the new Lexus LS430 is the best looking sedan of all times and I usually like Toyota, but I think the Accord looks better than the Camry. However, I think the new Avalon looks better on the outside. In terms of interior looks, even the Avalon cannot beat the new Accord.

I also think the current Odyssey is the best looking minivan of all times, but I just have a feeling that I will like the 2005 Ody even more.
    I trust Honda on looks now.

As far as size, bigger is better here. I don't like going back to smaller size--at least on the interior. I think it would be great to beat the Sienna on interior room.
  • Options
    I would appreciate a larger size, as I have no space constraints in my part of the world (midwest) yet I can see the benifits of a smaller van. Even higher gas mileage, better handling, slides into parking spaces easily.. Then again, the gas mileage I'm averaging in my Odyssey is 26 MPG.....
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I don't think their likely to make the US market Ody smaller, if anything it will be the same or larger.

I do hope it looks like the ASM, we will likely get some idea at the Detroit or Chicago autoshows.
  • Options
    kimo9kimo9 Member Posts: 71
    Don't know if these were already posted. Very futuristic is true.

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000195256.cfm
  • Options
    the Odyssey stays the same or grows in length... Then the Odyssey can reclaim the Best Minivan awards.....
  • Options
    have been posted on the hollywood extra and all the sites that are covering this year's Tokyo Motor Show.
  • Options
    was shown in Tokyo.
  • Options
    Any new information on the 2005 Honda Odyssey? Why have you guys been so quiet ? this is a converrsation so i hope we all get back to the subject and talk.

Post any new info for the 05 ody......
  • Options
    is because Honda is so quiet. So, we've been discussing what we'd like in the 2005 Odyssey.
  • Options
    steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone have an update on when the 2005 Odyssey will hit show rooms? I asked Honda rep at New England Auto Show and she said Fall 2004. Would she even know? I cannot wait that long and am leaning toward the Quest. I have read that Honda will not put out new Odyssey while sales of the old model are strong. Although Odysseys are selling well, I noticed that dealers are heavily discounting which comes right out of their profit. They could sell new model at list and above if good enough. Do they have a new Odyssey ready now, but holding out?Honda is definitely losing sales they could have with a new product. Most people replace vehicles 3-5 years, so lost sales are lost for at least that period.
  • Options
    they're expected late summer 2004 from speculation but if Sienna sales go through the roof then the car may be moved to April 2004 (guesstimates)
  • Options
    I think the next Odyssey is still in design or perhaps in testing stage. Honda is behind the scheudle for the new Odyssey. For Honda, it was every 4 years prior the mid '90s, then every 5 years now for cost saving. And it would 6 years for Odyssey. The techology and the desgin haven't changed much on the van except the horsepower increased, rear disc brakes, front side airbags, new wheels and tail lights ('99 to '01 and '02 to present). No wonder the sale is falling. They need to put some industrial first like the magic 3rd row seat.
  • Options
    the power-fold third row. (I'm hoping) plus the 60/40 split.
  • Options
    I believe the '03 Ford Expedition and '03 Lincoln Navigator already have this option. But it will be the first on minivan if Honda is going to put one on their the next Odyssey.
  • Options
    I was just reading the "Toyota Sienna 2004+ Problems" and there seems to be quite a lot of problems with the 04 sienna's transmission . Hope this doesnt happen with the 2005 Honda Odyssey because if it does it would be very disturbing to be going to the dealer every week to try to get the problem fixed even though they fix it. Just hope it doesnt happen with the 05 ODY!!!
  • Options
    but I had a better luck with my cars ('93 Honda Accord and '91 Toyota Corolla) which made during early 90s. Same thing with my friend's '91 Nissan Stanza. I feel they are solid built. But not so well in my relative's '00 Odyssey. No transmission failure but problems with power doors, oxygen sensor, engine check and TCS lights on.
  • Options
    Once my Remote Fob died on me. But the dealer gave me a new one and programmed it right away. Talk about good service!
  • Options
    for free! (But I got an oil change there too, so they're just cutting into extra profits by giving me their time, the fob was free, courtesy of my warranty)
  • Options
    minivan_timeminivan_time Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone seen this info yet on the new "collision system" plans for the upcoming Odyssey?...

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/honda22_20031022.htm

Also found this pic:

http://elmundomotor.elmundo.es/elmundomotor/especiales/2003/10/to- kio/imagenes/odyssey_xxl.jpg

Should be interesting to see what else they add. Like others, I'm wondering if it's worth the wait to see what they do for 2005. I'm wavering between the current or future Ody, the new Nissan Quest, or a Suburban.
  • Options
    Once again (as you may already realize) that is the Japaneses market Odyssey pictured. It has retained the 4-passenger-car-style doors as the pre-1999 Odyssey that was also sold in America. It is, of course, impossible to say just how much that vehicle will have in common (even looks-wise) with the redesigned 2005 North-American-market Odyssey....
  • Options
    Dako_tian. I was going to point out the same thing.
  • Options
    Yep, I did realize that the pic was of a Japanese market Odyssey... maybe I should have mentioned that it was. However, I've enjoyed looking at the various pics and links provided by others, hence the fun of speculation...

Has anyone heard whether Honda intends to debut a concept of their new Odyssey at the upcoming 2004 auto shows?
  • Options
    none yet. Waiting for the speculated launch date, summer 2004.
  • Options
    jchan2, where'd you hear of the anticipated launch date? Is it thought they'll come out with the 2005's prior to next fall?
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/

They are speculating on a Spring'04 release.
  • Options
    http://www.thinkthelen.com/honda/future.htm

Just Scroll Down, is Almost on the Botton of the Page 2005 Honda Odyssey
  • Options
    average the two out, and what do you get? Summer 2004. I've heard from earlier in the discussion where we were guessing launch dates for the Odyssey. We're getting closer!
  • Options
    On the feature article that Edmunds gave the Honda ASM Concept at Tokyo, Edmunds says that there might be a possibility that the Powertrain of the 2005 Honda Odyssey to be Hybrid. So what im asking is that what would you guys prefer Hybrid? or Fuel Burning Powertrain? IMO i prefer the fuel burning powertrain because being Hybrid the van loses power and it will also be slower and for such a big car why would there be a Hybrid powertrain? Toyota is also maybe going to produce a Hybrid Toyota Sienna with probably the same Hybrid used in the RX 330. But I prefer Normal Fuel Burning Powertrain on the 2005 Honda Odyssey.

What would you guys prefer?
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    The new gas/electric hybrids are pretty amazing. The electric motors have alot of torque and can often pull you off the line faster than a gasoline engine. However, they usually fall short in highway passing and towing situations.

I've also heard speculation that Honda might roll out a V6 with the ability to drop cylinders under light loads to save fuel...the technology has come along ways since Cadillac did it a dozem years ago.

Regardless, it would be prudent for them to consider a couple engine options if they are considering hybrid...
  • Options
    go for the hybrid, as 0-60 times don't matter to me- I want good MPG to the gallon without abysmal crash scores. (The Venture/Montana/Silhouette get good MPG, but the crash scores from the IIHS are simply pooh pooh)
  • Options
    Here are the latest news on the 2005 Honda Odyssey.

Check the site the news are on the home page.

The Title is "Odyssey to Have Additional Row of Disappearing Seats"

http://www.vtec.net/
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    that's for the 05t&c and other long WB chrysler not honda i read longer articles about it. nice feature but honda and toyotoa quality win over some features. it's a nice idea
    I would like to see other tech in vehicles, inluding a cd system that plays mp3 and a port to put your mp3 player or usb port like element
  • Options
    bbouch57bbouch57 Member Posts: 29
    From the discussions here, the suckers are lining up as usual to play into Honda's and their dealers hands for the typical new model introduction royal screw job plan. As usual, bring a new model out with an artificially low supply and do the usual stupid waiting lists, charge over MSRP, and suck in as many of the types that just cant wait and have to have the first ones made. This vehicle along with most others do not warrant some of the wild initial enthusiasm noted here for the debut of a new model. Its just another vehicle that in a few years will just be another old car. I have owned a number of Hondas, but I will not play this game for a new one. For as boring as most Hondas are, there is just not that much to get exited about here no matter what new usually expensive silly gadgets they have.
This discussion has been closed.