Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• Options
    lccalvert_1999lccalvert_1999 Member Posts: 68
    http://www.batfa.com/new_car_honda_odyssey.htm

Is this the new Honda Odyssey?
  • Options
    player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    That is the Japanese version of the Honda Odyssey as you can see it doesn't have the sliding doors, and the U.S. version comes with sliding doors. The U.S. version of the Honda Odyssey is going to be very similar to the Honda ASM Concept.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    are the Japanese Odyssey, which is a runaway hit in Japan, I've heard.
  • Options
    redlensesredlenses Member Posts: 36
    Remember that the dealers will be the last to know about the new Odyssey. All they are focussed is selling what is in there lot now! This far our don't look to a dealer for information. If you do your research you will know more than the dealer.

Cheers!
  • Options
    The dealers won't probably know until the actual Odyssey debuts and everybody knows by then.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The current Honda Odyssey is the most attractive in appearance and in value. Honda does not need to use gimmicks to keep interest in the Odyssey.
  • Options
    exactly. But they're becoming the price leader, a third choice among minivan buyers. They want to be first again. Hence a redesign!
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ok, help me. are we talking psychology here? when the cost of the van from manufacturer (a) is less that manufacturer (b) and (c), then the argument you're making is what? that the percieved value of (a) is also less than (b) and (c)?

i think the equation is slightly more complicated than that...however - is it suggested somewhere that Honda is becomming #3?
  • Options
    what I mean is that buyers want the Sienna and Quest, but either can't get over the funky dashboard or can't afford the feature loaded Siennas. They turn to the less expensive Odyssey, which was number 3 on their list because it has less features, therefore a suggested lower value than the Sienna or Quest. With the redesign, Honda can get back to the number one choice on buyer's lists.
  • Options
    neilg1969neilg1969 Member Posts: 2
    Bad news for all of those of you who just can't wait (like myself) till the new 05' Odyssey comes out. Looks like I will be getting a Siena this spring. This is the info via Rueters:

Amemiya, also Honda's executive vice president, conceded that the line's first-year production would likely be limited to around 65,000 units, but said it should reach the full capacity of 150,000 by the second year.

"The Alabama plant will be facing many big challenges, such as through the full model change for the Odyssey (minivan) in the autumn," he said. "But we should be producing at full capacity next year."

Here is the complete article:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040104/autoshow_honda_usa_1.html
  • Options
    knobsturnerknobsturner Member Posts: 2
    Here is the quote:
    ".... Brauer said consumers looking for a family-size vehicle can expect Honda to ship an Odyssey hybrid minivan in 2004."

Karl Brauer is the editor-in-chief of the car-review website Edmunds.com.

My comments:
    I have always thought that the best way to do a hybrid in a larger vehicle was to have the rear wheels electric drive/regenerate, with a 'standard' gas motor with front wheel drive under the hood. That way you get AWD with no performance or mileage penalty, and no driveshaft rasing the floor of the vehicle up higher.

With the Toyota AWD Sienna, you lose your spare tire when they put the driveshaft in. Honda can get around this with a hybrid.

Ref:
    http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,61645,00.html?tw=wn_tec- - hhead_1
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    "Analysts have also expressed worries about a likely slow start to the second, new line at its Alabama plant this year as Honda shifts around production of some of its cars...Amemiya, also Honda's executive vice president, conceded that the line's first-year production would likely be limited to around 65,000 units, but said it should reach the full capacity of 150,000 by the second year."

The low capacity is on the new second line - not the current line. IMHO, I think the SUT will be built on this second line.
  • Options
    I think it'll be built on the second Lincoln, Alabama line as the Alliston, Ontario is approacing capacity.
  • Options
    neilg1969neilg1969 Member Posts: 2
    Are we looking at the 2005 Odyssey coming out in the fall as I noted in my previous message? Or is there something I am not understanding in your message?
  • Options
    "The Alabama plant will be facing many big challenges, such as through the full model change for the Odyssey (minivan) in the autumn," he said. "But we should be producing at full capacity next year."

I guess I concentrated more on the part of your message that regarding the full capacity issue. Based on what you quoted (see above) it seemed like you left out that the "full production" issue applies to the new production line. What you quoted seems to say the entire plant won't be producing at full capacity.

That's the problem with the internet - we don't listen to each other.
  • Options
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT=638221&am- p;TICK=NAIAS&STORY=/www/story/01-04-2004/0002082780&EDATE- =Jan+4,+2004

All Ody's to be built in Alabama and second line for Pilots. Alliston to build MDX, Pilot, and SUT.
  • Options
    chazzcagechazzcage Member Posts: 3
    I already own a '99 Odyssey that has 88,000 with not one problem and looking to buy a second to repace a car. I really want a hybrid and this is the first I have read regarding a hybrid Odyssey coming out this year. Do you really think Honda would release this with no buildup and not show it at the car show recently? I am stoked thinking this might be true BUT the fact that noone else has alluded this leads to believe that this is incorrect. Is the source form the above article reliable and why wouldn't Honda start the self promotion. I know Honda wants something to swing the shift back to the Ody since Nissan and Toyota have come on strong in the mini segment.
  • Options
    ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    Per an Automotive News article about the new Accord hybrid V6, the Honda President said there will also be another hybrid model introduced this fall. Sure sounds like the Odyssey.
  • Options
    it could be the CR-V or Pilot, who knows?
  • Options
    chazzcagechazzcage Member Posts: 3
    You know now that you mention it I have read that the Pilot is going hybrid so I bet it is that one and NOT the Ody. Although I would much rather see the minivan over the Pilot. Since the Pilot and the Ody are on the same platform may they will switch the hybrid to the Ody from the Pilot since some appear to think the Quest and Sienna are making too much of a dent in the gap of success for the Ody. Thing is people have to choose them since Honda does not make enough of the Ody.
  • Options
    cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    Maybe the Pilot must go hybrid because Toyota is bringing a hybrid variant of the Highlander to market later this year. I'd think that Honda would have to match it, to maintain the sales position of the Pilot.

And if hybrid comes to either the Odyssey or Pilot, will it be one of the versions of a vehicle available, as is the case with the Civic?
  • Options
    ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    It could be another vehicle, but I guess I thought if it was a current model like the Pilot, Honda would just say it...like it did with the Accord. The PR would be good with a hybrid SUV, but it would also be good with the first hybrid minivan. Personally, I don't know if I would buy a hybrid right now, but the technology is great. Heck, with better gas mileage and more power, maybe its the S2000...just kidding.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    Why should they say it? Why not generate interest and keep the competition guessing?

Anyway, don't you think Honda would differentiate itself and be viewed as more innovative (in comparison to Toyota) if the hybrid technology were applied to the the mini-van, as opposed to the SUV?

Slightly off topic but I thought this was an interesting feature on NPR on the 5th; a discussion with a reporter from the NewYorker on the supposid safety of SUVs and the misplaced trust in the relative safety of these vechicles versus others:
    http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1584409

Apparently, the numbers from the Edmunds Hybrid poll suggests it would be most desireable applied to the SUV, with the Mini-van a second.

I wonder why? Is it because SUVs are recognized as fuel-efficiency challenged, or because they are so popular? Or both?
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Where will the battery packs go in a hybrid minivan? Would they steal the 3rd row magic seat space?
  • Options
    would go where the AWD system in a Sienna might go. No spare tire.
  • Options
    ed_bayareaed_bayarea Member Posts: 4
    Didn't see the new Odyssey in Detroit. Still wondering which Odyssey we are going to get. I saw two different versions, and I like this one more.

http://thehollywoodextra.com/honda/honda.html
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I hope the new Ody looks nothing like those pictures on the exterior. The 2004 Ody looks just fine the way it is.
  • Options
    looks fine the way it is, but could use some more features to better compete with the Sienna, in my opinion.
  • Options
    I guess it doesn't really matter that much on the exterior looks since it's not a sports car or luxury sedan or even luxury SUV. But, I thought some of the "new" Ody pics look great and some look terrible. But based on the Japanese Ody site, looks like the new Ody will have voice-activated NAV just like the Accord. Looks like a lot of woodtrim, which is fine to me. The only thing is the lack of sliding doors, which I hope is only for the Japanese version, not the US version, which needs the dual power sliding doors.
  • Options
    dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    We were having a very hard time stomaching the looks (what there is of them!) of the new Sienna. Thank goodness we were able to find a great deal on a closeout 2003 Yukon XL SLE for 8 passengers (a better solution for our needs anyway).
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    2004 Sienna, 2004 Quest and now the "suspected" 2005 Odyssey are all UGLY.
       The current Odyssey is much more attractive than the 2004 Sienna, 2004 Quest, and the photos that are suspected to be the 2005 Odyssey.
       Since Chrysler has not made much change for the new 2005 Grand Caravan and 2005 Town and Country, their minivans will be the most attractive if the Odyssey changes very much.
       Don't mess up the current Odyssey styling!!
  • Options
    I find the current one that sits in my garage to be pretty simple. No wood dash. No Leather. No NAV. Just a CD player, Automatic Climate Control and features of that sort. The exterior looks fine- it's not too bold like the Quest (which may be a problem for some) or too bland like the old Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest. (93-02)
  • Options
    I don't think the Yukon is good looking, though.
    It is just as hard for SUVs to look good as it is for minivans.

I think most of us (including me) prefer that "squarish" look, which was the fashion for the 80s and 90s in the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc.
    I guess for the younger generation in 2004+, the new fashion is more roundish, which is apparent in the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc.

Even with that roundish figure, I believe the new completed Odyssey will look great, especially with the cross-bars on top and that awesome grill and 18" wheels.

The Quest is no doubt extremely ugly, just like most of the Nissan line. Nissan is going down hill.

But the Odyssey will look great.

The Sienna could have looked great if Toyota weren't being so CHEAP and STUPID and tried to make it look ugly on purpose just because of that "Toyota" badge.

If I were Toyota, I would give it a nice chrome grill, rear spoiler, and make that ugly dash look like one of their sedans with Navigation.

Since they don't have a Lexus minivan, they should make the Sienna look like a Lexus.

Since they don't have an Acura minivan, they are making the Odyssey look like an Acura.

The Yukon may be big and 8 seats, but I bet it drinks gas like water. So how much are you paying for gas each week? $50 or more ?
    With a minivan, it's more like $25.
  • Options
    A few reasons why I bought my Odyssey instead of the Explorers, 4Runners, Yukons and Highlanders we were cross-shopping:
    The minivan will seat more people (Highlander, 4Runner)
    The minivan will be more comfortable with 7 people (Explorer)
    and an Odyssey won't slurp gas like water. (Yukon)
  • Options
    Have you guys seen this website?

http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_HON/doc_hnd0310211/c- ms/news/newsarticle.html

Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announces an all-new Odyssey for the Japanese market.

A 2.4-litre DOHC i-VTEC engine and newly developed CVT 7-speed transmission provide superior driving performance, while the new low-floor platform ensures a roofline of just 1,550mm. The intelligently designed, spacious interior comfortably accommodates seven people in three rows of seats.

The innovative third-generation Odyssey combines a low centre of gravity for improved ride and handling, an elegant form with sleek lines and unsurpassed roominess due to the low floor.

The Odyssey offers two engine options. A 118kW 2.4 litre four cylinder and a high-performance 2.4-litre DOHC i-VTEC with 147kW. Two transmission types are also offered, a 5-speed manual and a 7-speed CVT.

The new Odyssey is equipped with IHCC (Intelligent Highway Cruise Control) vehicle speed and inter-vehicle distance control system. It also features the voice-operated Honda HDD Navigation System + Progressive Commander, with rear camera, for significant improvements in functionality and operability.

The Odyssey's new design results in a roofline 80mm lower than the previous model, allowing access to standard multi-level parking facilities. It also offers 5mm more headroom than the previous model for far greater roominess than the vehicle's external appearance would suggest.

The 2nd row seats are equipped with a double folding mechanism that allows them to be stored flat, while the 3rd row seats feature a power under-floor storage mechanism allowing them to be easily stowed away at the press of a switch. A variety of seating arrangements creates a luggage area of up to 1,052 litres.

The power tailgate can be opened and closed using the keyless entry remote control, a switch on the dashboard, or the switch on the inside of the tailgate (closing only).

AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System) works in coordination with steering wheel angle to change the direction of the headlight unit and illuminate the vehicle's path when negotiating curves or turning.

Four-wheel VSA (ABS + TCS + side-slip control) combines with DBW (Drive By Wire) for engine torque control to ensure precise control over vehicle stability.

Brake assist is standard on all types, with the Absolute featuring an electronic brake assist system. A learning function automatically adjusts the assist operation point to conform to the driver's braking habits.

CMS (Collision Mitigation Brake System) uses millimetre-wave radar to gauge distance to the vehicle ahead, providing the driver with audio and tactile warning of a possible collision, while also applying light braking pressure. If the system determines that a collision is imminent, it applies strong braking pressure to enhance the effect of the driver's own braking, thus mitigating damage in the event of a collision.

E-pretensioners (driver and front passenger seat) work in concert with CMS, pulling lightly on the seatbelt if there is a danger of a collision and more forcefully if it is determined that a collision is imminent, for increased restraining effect.

Honda's original G-CON (G-force Control) technology is incorporated to create a body with a crash safety design that is among the best in the world. It can withstand a 55km/h full-frontal collision; a 64km/h front offset collision, a 55km/h side collision, and a 50km/h rear collision. Furthermore, in addition to a high level of self-protection, the vehicle's crash compatibility body reduces damage of other vehicles.

Equipped with a side curtain airbag system for the 1st~3rd row seats that helps reduce head injuries in the event of a side collision.

Front-row seats are fitted with 3-point, load limiter-equipped, pretensioner ELR seatbelts. The driver's side belt is equipped with a lap pretensioner on the outer end of the lap belt, in addition to the shoulder belt pretensioner, for improved occupant retention in both the pelvic and thoracic regions.

Now of course, this is the Japanese version, but the USA version can't be that much different, besides being larger with dual sliding doors.

But can you imagine 7 speed automatic transmission and all those new high-tech?
  • Options
    cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    The picture at the AutoWeb website, when enlarged, seems to show a rounded hump in the center of the dash. Could that be a center gauge pod?
  • Options
    the one in the article was the JDM Odyssey, which is different than what we'll get. Though I don't doubt that we'll probably get a few of the features. The JDM Odyssey might come as an Acura Latitude, as hinted over on the Latitude board.
  • Options
    I think it is the "must be new" mindset that causes most haute cotoure women's fashion to be gag-reflex-inducing. When what most people find attractive is classic, then most attempts at changing that look will miss the mark.

That being said and with a nod to andrewtran71's view of the Yukon XL's looks, I've found a bit of truth in a recent study that showed the more time you spend looking at someone, the more attractive you are likely to consider them to be. I think that the same happens to us with almost anything, including automotive designs. This helps explain how some "radical" new designs become the rage and also why I simply loved the looks of my '95 Civic when I bought it used in 1998, but hated them when that design change first came out.

It also helps explain Subaru, Saab, and Volvo owner loyalty as well as the masochistic Hummer owners devotion to their rides. The latter remind me of the women who have wrecked their backs and now pursue surgical remedies for their mangled feet because "It is much better to look good than it is to feel good!" (Billy Crystal's character Fernando, I think -- obviously a take off on Ricardo Montleban, SNL 19??).
  • Options
    I agree with the statement that the more times you look at something, the better it looks; I guess it just grows on you.
    So the best thing to do is to change it very gradually, instead of the drastic radical change, like the Nissan Quest, which is sooooooooooooo ugly, I can't even make myself look at it for more than 2 seconds because I'm afraid I might turn into stone----like the Madam Medussa effect.

A good example is the Lexus LS. It started out with the "classic" squarish Mercedes look. Then over the years it got slightly rounder on the edges. This gives people a chance to get used to the very slight changes first before taking on more changes.

Now the old Sienna was ugly to begin with, so making a drastic change was good for the new Sienna, which looks 100% better than the old one.

The Odyssey has been a great example of smart slight changes. I hope they will continue this smart move with the new Ody. I expect there will be some roundness on the edges and more aerodynamics, but the overall classic shape will remain the same. This will please the "old" crowd like myself as well as the newer generation crowd.

That's why I think the Japanese version

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/news/aw/hnd031021- 1amg.jpg

will be the new Ody except it will be bigger and it will have dual sliding doors. It looks very similar to the old Ody, but with slightly more aerodynamic rounding of the edges and body lines.

The ASM concept Ody

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/03tms_honasm_1.jpg

looks very drastic, which would be a mistake for the US Ody.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The Japanese Odyssey is going to be left for Japan only. Adding sliding doors to theirs would mean to reengineer a lot of the car, meaning highers costs. The ASM concept will probably be our next Odyssey, as it looked very close to production. Our Odyssey is known as the LaGreat in Japan, and several Japanese magazines have gotten insider information that the next LaGreat is the ASM. :)
  • Options
    No!
    Say it ain't so.
    No. No. No. I can't be. I refuse to believe it.
    Call it denial. Call it wishful thinking.
    Man, I hope the new Ody will not look like that ASM concept.
    If the next Ody is the ASM concept, I'm buying a Sienna XLE Limited.

That ASM concept is UGLY. Plain ugly.
  • Options
    player4 Nov 3, 2003 7:03pm

"I just read The Temple of V-TEC and i saw that the Honda ASM Concept is shorter than the US Honda Odyssey. Here are the dimensions:

ASM Concept / US Odyssey
    Overall Length: 4840mm / 5110mm
    Width: 1830mm / 1920mm
    Height: 1790mm / 1770mm
    Wheelbase: 2900mm / 3000mm

As you guys can see the ASM is about 4 inches narrower than US ODY, 4 inches shorter wheelbase than US ODY, and more than 10.5 inches shorter than the US Odyssey."

Based on this info, there's no way the US Odyssey will be the ASM concept!

10.5" shorter and 4" narrower than the curren Ody?
    That sounds more like a Japanese version.
  • Options
    Thanks for pointing that out andrewtan, and it is true so !!! Hey the 05 Ody release date is Spring 2004 !! cant wait!
  • Options
    Here you guys can see it with your own eyes, the release date:

http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    from that website:

"The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. or any other division of Honda Motor Co.
    Some of the information presented here is speculative, and is not provided nor endorsed by Honda Motor Co., Inc."
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Where's all this information about the next Odyssey?? I just think that the ASM is the next Odyssey because Honda wouldn't dare spending money on the JP Odyssey by replacing it with sliding doors. I've just read too many times that the ASM is our next Odyssey as it is more suitable to the American market. The JP Odyssey didn't go over well here which is why it was replaced. I'll wait until I see proof. :)
  • Options
    actually looks fine to me, minus the chrome wheels and the plood, of course.
  • Options
    ...posted by someone earlier in this or a nearby forum, it sounded like the movement of production lines (Odyssey going exclusively to Alabama) that the 2005 Odyssey won't be out until Fall 2004. FWIW
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I think all of you are forgetting how hard it was to find pictures of the 2003 Accord when it first came out. If I remember right, you didn't see pictures until 1-2 months before they released the vehicle. I'm not usre how Honda can keep these things so secretive but they do it better then any manufacturer I have seen. My guess is you will have to wait to late February/early March to see the actual 2005 odyssey. Some things you can predict is it will have most if not all of the features of the Sienna and 2005 T&C It will probably have a revised 3.5 L engine probably in the neighorhood of 270 hp. And the styling will be very similar to the current Odyssey maybe a little sleeker. Similar to the Quest but not quite so daring.
  • Options
    Perfect.
This discussion has been closed.