Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey Future Models

Comments

• Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    If they can match all the features, including Laser cruise control and 7" NAV, I might take a look too.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Yes.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    it's the 04 LX model in Starlight Silver.
  • Options
    momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    make the third row a split like the toyota? we like the toyota but it is really pricey and with three kids the third row storage and folding seat is a major decision to purchase if honda is doing it i am more then willing to wait i have a year and a half to continue looking but the toyota is really nice. anyone who knows or might have a clue when honda will release it will help us out thanks.
  • Options
    I like the Sienna a lot too, but I'm still going to wait for the new Odyssey to come out this Fall.
    No one around here knows for sure what's going to be included in the new Odyssey. Like you said, we're just guessing.

There's no reason to believe the new Ody will NOT have the 60/40 fold-flat 3rd row, if not both a 6/40 fold-flat 3rd AND 2nd row.

Honda and Toyota are always trying to beat each other to the punch with newer and more features. As consumers, it would be wise for us to just sit back, be patient, and reap the benefits of the new models.

The new Ody should be great. Right now, nobody around here knows any facts. Whether it will beat the Sienna in features, looks, prices, etc. will only be known to us this Fall, which I think is usually October or November 2004.

Indeed, this is a great time for buying a new minivan.
    I would have never thought a minivan (Sienna) could have more features than a Lexus that costs a lot more. Examples include Laser Cruise Control, powered back door, Intuitive Parking Assist with front and back sensors, side-curtain airbags for ALL THREE rows of seating, huge sunshades for both the 2nd and 3rd row seats, the 60/40 fold-flat 3rd row, and a lot more room that you don't even get in a $65K Landcruiser or LX470 or $55K GX470.
    For $41K MSRP or $36K invoice, you get all the above plus DVD player, Navigation system, back-up camera, AWD, 17" sports wheels, and more in the Sienna.

Since I'm used to buying my vehicles for invoice or even $1K below invoice, I truly believe that I can buy the Sienna for below invoice once the new Ody comes out and takes a lot of buyers away from the Sienna.

I think it will be hard to beat the new Sienna, but I'm keeping an open mind, and I will buy whichever is the best.
    For now, the new Sienna is clearly and obviously the better van. We will see this Fall if this will change.
  • Options
    if history repeats again, the new Odyssey will win over the new Sienna. (kinda like the 99 Odyssey beat the 98 Sienna) because Honda now has time to add on to all the features that Toyota has put onto the Sienna.
  • Options
    Yeah, but it will be a lot harder to beat the '05 Sienna Limited w/NAV+DVD.
    Anything is possible, though.
    And I think it will depend on which models people want too. For example, if Honda chooses not to offer Laser Cruise control, Parking assist with front and back sensors, rearview camera, and the sunshades for the 2nd and 3rd row to keep costs down, this will displease people like me. However, other people may not care at all for Laser Cruise control or Parking Assist so it becomes a non-factor.

Have you noticed that the current Ody looks very similar to the older Accord?

I think the new Ody will look similar to the new Accord, not only with the interior and NAV, but also the exterior. I like both the interior and exterior of the new Accord.

Have you also noticed that the new Sienna looks very similar to the new Camry? I think there's a trend here.
  • Options
    redlensesredlenses Member Posts: 36
    Based on the current 1999-2004 Odyssey configuration and the typical 2+ years to define, develop and put into production a 05 Odyssey, I would not assume the 05 Odyssey will be superior to the 04 Sienna.

Did Honda know 2 years ago what the 04 Sienna would be like so they could top it? I don't think so specifically. I'm sure they looked at were the competition and customer expectations were headed.

I think Honda is right now scrambling to improve the 05 design. Only time will tell.

Cheers
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    You state "...they looked at were the competition and customer expectations were headed."

That's how they know! Don't worry about Honda not being able to recover, because when you least expect it..."Bang!" They come out and blow-you-away. They have a "finger on the pulse" of the customer market, and your right only time will tell.

I know I'm anxiously waiting! :)
  • Options
    player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Honda says that the 2005 Hionda Odyssey is going to beat all the competition and i think this 05 ODY is. Honda played very smart by not redisigning the Odyssey in 2004 because Honda waited until all the competition had their vans remodeled, and they did, so now Honda being the last one to redising they have the chance to blow all the other vans away because looking at what the competition added to their vans, Honda is going to put all of that together in the 05 ODY and even make it better!!!!! So thats why they say thast the 05 ODY will blow away all the competition from Buick, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Kia, Mazda, Mercury, Nissan, Saturn, Pontiac, and Toyota. Thats my opinion!!
  • Options
    typically redesigns their cars a year after Toyota does. The 98 Accord came out right after the 97 Camry. The 03 Accord came out after the 02 Camry. the 99 Odyssey came out after the 98 Sienna, and the new Odyssey will be coming out a year after the Quest and the Sienna, giving them time to top them both. (albiet it'll be rushed to throw all that stuff onto the Odyssey fast, but Honda will try)
  • Options
    I'm hoping the new Ody will be superior to the 04 Sienna in terms of technology, luxury and safety features, looks, quietness, and comfort driving. Aren't we all?
    But man, that's a lot of expectations.
    Beating the old Sienna is one thing, but beating the new 05 Sienna Limited AWD w/Nav+DVD is another thing. And that's assuming Toyota doesn't add anything else to the 05 Sienna this Fall like SmartAccess Key where you don't even have to turn the ignition to start the engine, Adaptive Front Lighting System that turns when you corner, and Hybrid fuel.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Remember that the JDM Odyssey that some of you have been looking at is the 'small' Odyssey that the US market received ('95-'98). That model (now on it's second major update) is still in production in Japan.

Our Odyssey is called the LaGreat in Japan. It is a pretty rare bird over there. Really too big for the roads, and so saddled with taxes because of weight and size that it is priced way out of reach. I picked up brochures on my last trip there. Basically the same as ours, but not always sold in the mainstream Honda showrooms. I think I found it in the CLEO (upscale) dealers. They have a great accessory catalog as well.

You see the "Odyssey" maybe 20:1 over the "Lagreat". I don't have any sales figures, but draw my conclusions from my limited time in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya/Ichinomiya. It might be more popular on the other islands, but I doubt it. AWD is becoming very popular over there, and I think you can get it on the Ody & Stream, but not Legreat. I think that is also hurting it's appeal. If you want more on the current model, go to:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/lagreat/

I haven't found anything about the new LaGreat yet.

Steve
  • Options
    njbaran99njbaran99 Member Posts: 69
    I went the 2004 Chicago Auto Show today to see if anything can compete with the 2004 Sienna, and not to my surprise, the really isn't anything a versitle as the Sienna. I am in the market for a new Minivan/SUV and can wait until Fall for the Odyssey to come out.

But Net/Net, the Sienna remains a big hit. Can't wait for more info on the Odyssey thought.

THe Ford FreeSytle (a Cross Over) looked interesting, but I am afraid it is too small (also a Fall 2004 Delivery).
  • Options
    spartanmannspartanmann Member Posts: 197
    I think the new Honda's coming out a year after Toyota have much more to do with pricing than design. Within one year of launch, almost every major desing aspect is set and the tooling is ordered. Changes beyond this point are hugely expensive and usually lead to more delays and quality issues. Following Toyota allows Honda to maximize their pricing advantage and to set their production mix based on what Toyota models and features are most popular. I have a hard time picturing Honda "scrambling" to match Toyota. The improvements and new features in the 05 have probably been in the planning stages for 3 or more years now.
  • Options
    I think everything has to do with money.
    I think Toyota beat Honda "out the door" with it's new model to make more money.
    I think Toyota will also add more features to their 2005 Sienna with anticipation to beat the 2005 Odyssey so that they don't lose any sales and continue making more money.
    I can think of 3 features, all of which are already being used in other Toyota vehicles either in Japan or USA. The features include SmartAccess Key, Adaptive Front Lighting, and Hybrid Fuel.
  • Options
    redlensesredlenses Member Posts: 36
    I agree. Based on the time it takes to develop, tool and produce a new 05 Odyssey, Honda's design is frozen this late in the cycle. It will be interesting to see what they come out with.

Cheers
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I'm considering buying a minivan this summer, but with a late summer release, when do you think info will be available. May, June, July etc
    Someone knows something now, the question is will they give it up. I'd like to know the features more than the looks. Big question for me smooth and quiet, quality of ride. HOnda has had trouble with wind noise, tested an o4 and noisy compared to toyota and they had years to improve this.
    What I want--smooth, quiet,better grouping of options, $$$, HID headlights, Laser Cruise, Flexible seating, 60/40 split 3rd row, and you don't have to remove the headreats to do it (demoed the 04 and that's a pain-that's why quest is not part of my decision set). The sienna has trouble moving the second row seats, from several reviews it's a tough 2 person job
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
  • Options
    at least match the new Sienna's features.
    Anything less would be a disappointment.
    Anything more would be a big hit.
  • Options
    add KeylessGo and you'll make the Ody unique!
  • Options
    setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    it looks nice but i dont like the baby poop brown interior. and the headlights looks like it is from honda's upscale division, acura.
  • Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    That's the JP Odyssey. Ours will look more like the ASM concept.
  • Options
    split like the toyota ? That is a huge selling point and the middle row windows will they open like the toyotas?
  • Options
    head to the discussion linked above.
  • Options
    You guys are sooooo late to find the Honda Odyssey Owners: Future Models discussion!! LOL
  • Options
    setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    i hope more info will be released soon. Mostly every company has a new/redesigned van. Ford Freestar/Mercury Monterey, Buick Terraza/Chevrolet Uplander/Saturn Relay/Pontiac Montana SV6, Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Caravan, and now Honda. The only one that I can think of that doesn't have a new van is Mazda, and I heard theres is coming out 2006 model year.
  • Options
    lena132lena132 Member Posts: 56
    See, both the Sienna and the Odyssey are VERY good vans. In my opionion, they BOTH blow the competition away. American vans can't compete. I'm been an avid Toyota fan. My first car as a married couple was a Corolla. Unfortunately that got demolished by a dump truck. In 1995 we got a Camry and now we got a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited FWD with Package #6. I don't really care much about technology though everywhere I turn in the car I see something technology advanced. HID Ligths, DVD Player, DVD-Based GPS Navigation system, Laser Guided cruise control, and countless others.

Well I want to see how the Odyssey turns out. Though we already got a XLE Limited FWD. We could always trade in it if we like.
  • Options
    Chrysler's new vans are competive- especially with the addition of new high tech toys and that all important Stow N Go system.
  • Options
    I've already had nightmares about Chryslers and Dodges. I recently read about their new Stow N' Go. I mentioned it to my husband and he didn't even care about it. We both were born in Hong Kong and for the first 34 years of our lives we've been flooded with Japanese products (Japan is VERY near Hong Kong, about a two hour flight from each other). We moved to the U.S. a year later.

Here's my Chrysler/Dodge Van story:
    After we arrived in the U.S., JAL Airlines screwed up our luggage and we had to wait. Because of that our driving plans were diverted and our friend picked us up in a 1992 Dodge Caravan. Let me tell you, the ride was horrible. I was very scared after the engine/transmission started jerking the car. Then the doors squeaked. I was actually terrified when we got to our house. I had bad experiences with American vans.
  • Options
    cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    One thing I notice is the direction both chosen are different. Sienna, like other Toyota, is design to provide smooth, quiet soft ride in refine way while provide all the convient features in relative higher price for its higher quality interior material. Odyssey, like other Honda, provide better handling and road feel by sacrify some quietness at one package contain almost all features except very expansive one like DVD, NAV and leather. I don't see this trend will change and both has their loyal fans. Both will be good choice and finally comes down to price/feature content and personality of buyer. Outlook may be another factor since lots buyers being turned down by Quest's unusal exterior. 99-04 Odyssey is still the best handling van along with MPV which is much smaller in size.
  • Options
    You really cannot compare a '92 vintage Dodge to the modern product. We had a '97 Grand Caravan, a '00 Windstar & now an '02 Ody. And I was recently in a friends '03 Caravan. While I still think the Ody is the best of the bunch, the new Chrysler products are extremely capable and quite competitive.

BTW, I love HK. Stayed at the Kowloon Shangra La Hotel, walked Nathan St., etc., this past November before proceeding on into China. The new airport is far less scary than Kai Tak!!!!

Steve
  • Options
    My husband and I both think there are stigmas with American car products. Maybe the Dodge Caravan and the Town & Country might not be as bad as it was 12 years ago, but we've seen too many horror reports to accept American cars. From GM's recent recall involving a million or so cars/SUVs to Ford's huge problem with their older Explorers though it was all Firestones fault. Then the government recently tested the Ford Explorer Trac, it got a 2 out of 5 and had a high possibility of a roll over. There was also, I think, another recall with Dodge's new Durango, Chrysler's Pacifica, and some older models shared by the two. Sebrings, 300Ms, Stratus.
    My sister in-law traded her Dodge Caravan SE for a Sienna CE, though I don't know why.

So in general, I'd say 1st. Sienna, 2nd. Ody, 3rd. Quest, 4th. Town &; Country, 5th. Caravan, 6th. Freestar, and the rest aren't worth mentioning. That's my opinion

I haven't seen the new airport yet. The last time I visited HK was in 1998. Lots of things have changed by now. But my husband & I have enjoyed our 34 year stay. Although I never liked the fact that it rained like heck. Constant flooding from rains that seem to never end.
  • Options
    cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    The photos shown in the link is the Asian version that for Japan and europe market. The swing rear doors is the proof. The North America version will carry the pulling door like rest the competitor. The interior will not be that fency for different taste in NA.
  • Options
    Every maker has had their problems. Just cruise any of the Edmunds boards. Are you aware that Toyota is compensating owners and extending coverage for a high failure rate on V6 engines for sludge buildup & other problems? And I know that this is an extreme case, but my sister had her '02 Sienna replaced (lemon law) for engine meltdown during the first week of ownership! I had tranny failure on my Camry V6. I still like Toyota, recommended that my dad trade his Taurus for an Avalon, but they are hardly trouble free. No maker is....

HK: Guess we were lucky. Three visits in the past 15 years and never a rainy day! But in the sub-tropics, you must expect wet weather.
    For those of you who never experienced it, you could collect the laundry drying on window lines of neighboring apartment buildings while on final approach to the old airport!

Steve
  • Options
    Guess I'm lucky as well. Over the last two decades, all our Toyotas were trouble free. Besides wear & tear on minor things. But the Engine/Transmission has had no problem. That was the main reason we got a Camry in 1995 in the first place.
    Yes I am of the sludge problem that plagued a lot of 2nd Gen Siennas. But no, I'm not aware of how serious it went to the point of an engine meltdown. What year was your Camry V6? Ours, like I said, was a 1995 Camry XLE V6. We've so far have had not had any problems. It has 67,952 miles on it.

HK: I want my younger son to experience it since he was born in the U.S. after we came. My eldest son left HK at an age of 4. He can still remember some things. I would like to visit it again someday. When all the disease outbreaks are gone.
  • Options
    This is suppose to be a discussion about the Upcoming Honda Odyssey, not about your experiences with your Toyotas. If you guys want to share your ownership exeperience with other people go to the Toyota Forum. Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry everyone, guess I sidetracked....

Anyway, I just contacted a Honda Dealer (Route 22 Honda) and they said that Honda has been very quiet about the 2005 Odyssey. And there is nothing on the internet right now that looks like the real thing. But maybe the ASM concept will be more closer. So I guess thats the official status of the 2005 Odyssey
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Honda usually keep quiet about the release of new model. It is really nothing except some pictures of ASM concept. But it looks like voice actived navigation system, center console shifter, power liftgate, 3 rows side airbags with roll over sensor will be added. And Honda please... most of us want sunroof on the Odyssey. I hope Honda will release the '05 Odyssey as early as August or September like the '03 Accord in August '02.

Off topic. Lena132 - I do have many experience in HK. Maybe we can talk via emails.
  • Options
    Honda will have the laser cruise control and parking assist front and back sonar sensors.
  • Options
    The last time I checked, didn't Honda offer sonar sensors as a dealer-installed option. I remember the dealer saying they could put it on the Odyssey if I wanted it on it. I compared it to the Sienna XLE LTD and that Ody didn't have that. So they offered it to me.

But looking at the ASM concept, I'd like to say that Honda sort of over did it on the faux wood trim. And it's very "toy-like". Maybe deepen the color a little bit.

Lok888: Sure, why not.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I hope so. For the laser cruise, it will be great to see this on '05 Odyssey to compete the Sienna. But I read some discussion about some error with this feature on '04 Sienna at early production stage. It could be inaccurate if there is an obstacle (i.e. rocks) on the road. I think we already have the optional backup sensor (no front) and rearveiw camera (with navigation system only) on current U.S Odyssey. I don't see any reason why they will discontinue these items in '05 Odyssey. Anyway, I am waiting to see any change on 2nd row seat.

lena - I change my email info public for a while.
  • Options
    I would like some of the following features for less than $31K sticker:
    DVD Navigation System
    Power Sliding Doors (standard already)
    Leather Seats (a maybe)
    Rear Parking Sonars
    Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with the Odyssey as it is.
  • Options
    Doesn't the current Odyssey already offer all those features? Like I said, Honda offered me sonar sensors for about a couple hundred dollars. Though not the rear camera.

As for the Laser Cruise Control. Yes, it's not perfect. We'll slow suddenly when there's no car in front of us but a curve, a hill, or various other objects. But a couple cars coming out of the side of a highway suddenly can trigger the laser cruise control and will set the brakes before I would. But we're talking about laser; don't they just go in a straight line. So anything that it hits slows it.
  • Options
    new dodge and town and country models and i really love the sienna but i am hopeful that Honda will split the third seat like the others have done. i am unsure about the need for folding flat second row seats for people with kids as the under the seat storage is nice . I am now going to wait till all the 2005 vans come out as the price wars should also be interesting to see. with all these new gadgets I want to get a good buy with a van with a 60/40 split rear seat. Hopeful that honda is listening to the masses as toyota and others have already started.
  • Options
    I forgot that I would like a split third row seat and a fold flat second row seat. And throw in automatic climate control for the back, my friend's Sienna has it. All for less than $31K out the door. As for the previous items listed above, yes, they're all offered on the current Odyssey, and that's what I'm happy with. A few more features, a sunroof and a low sticker, and I'll have the keys and title to my current Odyssey. (a maybe)
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    you don't have to remove the headrests to stow/ fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats--i won't buy the quest for this

HID lights

in addition to the above
    new trans design
    memory seats, and power passenger seat
    fewer bundled options i should be able to get hid, without getting the most expensive model, and i should be able to get nav without $$$ for an entertainment system.
  • Options
    A glass embedded antenna instead of the antenna masts on the Odysseys. It looks ugly and cheap. Only the Quest and Sienna has offered that.

Add a standard sound system that has radio/cassette/ 6-Disc In-dash CD Changer with at least 8 speakers standard on the EX. The ability of having both the Nav System and the DVD player.

For HID lights, you can get an aftermarket kit.
    Split 3rd row bench.

For the second row, I find it not needed. I use the first two rows all the time so I don't need it. But it would be a useful feature.

Power liftgate, auto up/down passenger side windows, moonroof, all power doors, liftgate, and moonroof switches placed in the overhead console and not on the left of the steering wheel. A leather steering would be nice.
    17" alloy wheels.

All for around $33K.
  • Options
    bamaboy35004bamaboy35004 Member Posts: 25
    I know for a FACT exactly what the '05 will look like. It looks nothing like the Japanese version AT ALL ! The only thing that I have to say is do not hold your breath for woodgrain interior ! I cannot say much more than that due to confidentiality agreement because I work for Honda .
This discussion has been closed.