Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm indifferent to the car having an alarm. It's just that after reading the owners' manual for the 330i, Tim and I got the impression that our cars are equipped with an alarm and that the clown's nose should blink when the doors are locked to indicate that the alarm has been activated. Since we could never get the clown's nose to blink, we thought that our alarms were malfunctioning (along with the sat radio, the adaptive headlights, etc.). Now, not only do I understand that the car does not come with an alarm, but I have some insight into the reason why.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Of course you're correct, so long as the model of ten cents per gallon per grade persists, and it may. . .for a long time.

But what if it doesn't. What if one of these brain surgeons who sets the pricing structure figures out that when gas was 29.9, 39.9 & 49.9 (I'm not making this up -- I pumped a lot of gas & cleaned many windshields), the percentages don't add up. And, while I'm snivelling, what's with the tenths of a cent? When gasoline was nine cents a gallon, a tenth mattered. Now we're dealing in basis points. Don't seek logic where none exists.

I'm guessing that if someone in the industry who isn't brain-dead (bring your lantern) adjusts the prices, we could be looking at $3 for 87 octane, $4 for 89 octane & $5 for 91. As my wife will be able (not glad or happy, but able) to attest, I'm not an environmentalist or much of anything else, but the market will rule.

What if premium fuel had the same spread it did 25 years ago, in percentage terms? At the moment, premium is an absolute bargain -- BUY MORE!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Of course you're correct, so long as the model of ten cents per gallon per grade persists, and it may. . .for a long time.

My model was 20 cents. That's been standard for a good 20+ years. So if they're planning on changing that dynamic, they're taking a really, really slow approach.

What if premium fuel had the same spread it did 25 years ago, in percentage terms? At the moment, premium is an absolute bargain -- BUY MORE!

True, true. :D
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I'm guessing that if someone in the industry who isn't brain-dead (bring your lantern) adjusts the prices, we could be looking at $3 for 87 octane, $4 for 89 octane & $5 for 91.

If there really was a $2 difference for 87 vs 93, I think that I might forsake some power and gas mileage and use the 87.... The difference between $45 per tank vs $75 tank is huuuuuge, without enough of a gas mileage loss to make a difference.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    A recent review of the new 3 Series sedan says the A/C is weak.
    Does anyone have an opinion on how well the A/C works to cool the cabin in extremely hot summer temperatures of over 100 degrees?
  • Options
    bmwyayabmwyaya Member Posts: 11
    With the E90, I am experiencing a fairly short working range for the keyless entry. I have to get within 20ft of the car in order for it to work. Anyone can post up their experience on this? Also, does the E90 makes a 'beep' sound when locked/unlocked like my X5 because now my E90 only flashes and no 'beeps'?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    ;) My thoughts exactly

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Mine has always worked from within 20 feet. Not outside that. Shrug. Why would i need more?
  • Options
    chatkatchatkat Member Posts: 41
    I work in the San Fernando Valley - 90 - 100 + degrees daytime temps. No Problem what so every. Actually the AC works VERY well.
  • Options
    gkrochmalgkrochmal Member Posts: 12
    Ore E60 & E90 are both on the Elektra and Leaving Bremerhaven today.
  • Options
    "With the E90, I am experiencing a fairly short working range for the keyless entry. I have to get within 20ft of the car in order for it to work. Anyone can post up their experience on this?"

Why is this a problem?

"Also, does the E90 makes a 'beep' sound when locked/unlocked like my X5 because now my E90 only flashes and no 'beeps'?"

There is no beep sound, but I think it might be one of those features that is programmable by the service center.
  • Options
    bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on the matter of run-flat tires. At present, we are being told that punctures in these casings should not (I have not heard anyone say that "can not") be repaired. If so, that implies a new tire with every puncture--rather expensive considering current prices on run-flats. If this is, indeed, a fact of tire life, it leads to a condition wherein any given axle will have have one new and one used tire, not the best condition for vigorous performance. That, in turn, suggests that one would need to purchase two new tires with every flat in order to avoid mising an old and a new tire on the same axle. Or is my latent cynicism running overtime?

Coupled with that, it is my subjective impression that current run-flats on the 3 series do not enhance performance significantly. I base that observation on comparing a test drive with my own E46, MY2000. That same comparison has led me to think the new suspension is superior, but the tire-adhesion qualities of the run-flats is no better, perhaps a bit less, than the more traditional pneumatics.

Considering the complete package, it seems we have gained a bit more trunk space with the run-flats, but have lost some performance traits, committed ourselves to much higher tire costs, and more tire noise. Collectively,that's a step back, imho. And the only lasting justification seems to be the perceived need to incorporate the latest in technology, for better or worse. In this instance, it seems to me it may be for worse.

What do you think?

Bryncerdd
  • Options
    selmselm Member Posts: 122
    I can't make up my mind on the rf tires. I do not like the cost, and the lack of availability. For me the road noise and performance is fine, but then again my previous car was not a bmw. What I like about them is I feel safer if something were to happen at high speed. If every tire store carried them and were cheaper, I would be glad that I have them. In time, I am sure that will be the case.
  • Options
    tirerack.com

It's all ya need to know when it comes to buying tires. ;)

In two years Costco/Sams Club will probably have a nice run-flat selection too. Give it time. Not everybody carried 17s and 18s 3-4 years ago. Now you can find them at all the major players.
  • Options
    e90sede90sed Member Posts: 15
    I own one in TEXAS.

In AUTO it does not move enough air to keep the cabin cool but does OK when I run it in manual and crank up the fan speed.
    However the fan gets very noisy when it is run past half speed.
    Also does not make a difference in noise level when outside air is chosen.
  • Options
    At present, we are being told that punctures in these casings should not (I have not heard anyone say that "can not") be repaired. If so, that implies a new tire with every puncture--rather expensive considering current prices on run-flats.

The manufacturer(s) say to replace the tire and not just repair it. There have been anecdotal accounts of people that have repaired them and everything was fine.... I'm sure the success rate is a case-by-case basis. Some punctures will be easy, some will be just too much. My take is that the manufacturer just doesn't want to claim liability if they say it's okay to repair and then something bad happens.... But that doesn't mean that you can just repair any runflat that has a hole in it....
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    I was there in June-no problem. Granted it's not Germany or Austria; but some people make it sound like a 3rd world country. I actually like driving in Italy. I find it funny that we worry about driving a BMW in a country that produces some of the finest cars in the world.
  • Options
    jaggjagg Member Posts: 21
    I hope it's ok, since I live in SoFla. I don't mind cranking it up at first to cool the car down and just lower it once the temp goes down past 'searing'. :)
  • Options
    I find it quite hard to activate this feature. Yu have to keep the brake pressure constant even when you are approaching a complete stop and you can't have too much pressure on the brake pedal. Any insights/comments anyone?
  • Options
    Soft stop function? You are asking how to use this feature. I don't think I've even heard of it before. What is it supposed to do?
  • Options
    jaggjagg Member Posts: 21
    My car was ordered by my dealer on 9/28 and the BMW Owners page just moved it to "scheduled for production' on 9/30. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to be delivered from this stage? The dealer didn't want to give exact numbers, but said it may be less than the initial 8-10 week estimate he gave me.
  • Options
    It usually takes around 5 weeks to go from production to landing at the US port. Then however long it takes to get from the port to your particular dealer.
  • Options
    wcnngtwcnngt Member Posts: 4
    Atlanta area, bought blue/beige 325i, auto, premium pkg, heated seat, sat prep for $35,319 plus $21 tag fee from Athens BMW. long bargaining process over a week. Because not many dealers have the color and options I wanted so they won't budge.
  • Options
    magmirmagmir Member Posts: 17
    I have a question about the comfort access option. Is it just like the G35, where you can walk up to the door, press the button on the door handle, and the door will open as long as the key is in your bag/pocket? Also, can you then just push the start button and go w/o having to use the key like the G35? I heard you have to put the key in then push start, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Also, is dual zone climate std. on the 325 too?

thanks!
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    It should be fully keyless starting with Comfort Access.

The 325i has dual-zone climate on the US models. Seat heaters are optional.
  • Options
    Well.. it's a feature that is supposed to ease off the brake automatically just before coming to a complete stop. This will avoid or minimize the sudden stop effect. I can see it working but it just doesn't work everytime becasue either: 1) I applied too much brake pressure, 2) didn't maintain a constant brake pressure.
  • Options
    adolf2adolf2 Member Posts: 9
    I bought my car a 325i in may.Shortly after, I noticed a high pitch winding noise.
    Have driven the car only 1700 miles so far. 2 days ago I let a factory Rep. drive the car. His quote : This is normal, there is nothing wrong with this car.
    The noise comes from the altenator.I find this noise very annoying
    Does anyone have the same problem ????? Otherwise I like the car very much.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I think you are trying to hard to activate it... It is supposed to be automatic, assuming conditions are right for it....

Don't change the way you drive... just continue to operate the vehicle normally, and if it is possible or needed, the function will happen... If it isn't, it won't..

You'll drive yourself crazy and possibly create an unsafe situation if you keep trying to "make it work".

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tturedraidertturedraider Member Posts: 159
    Howdy y'all,

I luv the new 3! But....

I'm disappointed with the taillights. First, I can't believe BMW didn't use LEDs. The regular bulb lights are so 20th Century! ;) And second, the turn signals should be amber! I read in some other posts that there are taillights out there with amber turn lights - one post by "grahamman" referred to by "shipo", but I can't find the original post. Does anyone have any further info on this?

I'm also wishing for a blue leather interior. Anyone else?

I went to a GM "Autoshow in Motion" event a couple of weeks ago where GM had their cars and some of the competition. They had a 325i and I drove it at least a dozen times on the closed course they had. It was great! Also, drove the 330i at BMW's driving event last month. That was great, too!

I'm planning on getting an '08 model. So, I'll be lobbying BMW for the amber turns, LEDs and blue leather.

Anyone have thoughts on these issues? kyfdx? btw, congrats on your appointment as host.
  • Options
    honestly, why in the hell would you care what color your turn signals are?

BTW, on 46s it was very common on the sedans for people to replace their turn indicator lights with clears. eek!

the coupes have leds.

blue leather? good luck. we can't even get lemon in the usa. be thankful we have beige, gray, terra and black.
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I think it would depend , just like a standard tire. If on the tread pattern then repairable, if sidewall ect, then probally not. I hate to mention it and jinx myself since i like in a new neighborhood full of nails.. :sick:

DL
  • Options
    Um , if you set the temp at 60 and Auto its going to run mach 10 til it reaches that temp...it was 104f here other day, and i was not dying, its a very powerful hvac system imo.

DL
  • Options
    mattskimattski Member Posts: 1
    In Canada you can get the 3 series without the sunroof. Take a trip up north.
  • Options
    hawkeye3hawkeye3 Member Posts: 9
    Doing it myself would necessitate the purchase of a jack, torque wrench, and wheel chocks, and would probably also mean getting out in the cold to do it.

Is anything more than a jack necessary? I have changed tires in the past (not a performance vehicle) with only a jack and a tire wrench. Reading your post makes me think more is involved than anticipated.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The only thing that you are missing is a torque wrench so that you can properly tighten the lug nuts/bolts to the proper specification, which by the way is something that should be done on every kind of car, not just performance cars. Why? If the wheel is not properly torqued, the brake rotors can warp as a result. For BMWs the current specification is 88.5 lb-ft (120 nm), a vaule I use on our two minivans as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    They do make an aftermarket or Euro taillight with an amber turn signal and you can order them. I found them on another site and posted it, but it was erased by the host. I guess I can't refer info. about other sites. If you are interested you can email me personally, I think you can do it through this site. I don't think I am supposed to post my email for privacy purposes. So many rules! I agree, I think the amber lights are better looking and SAFER. If the euro's do it, its probably better. And the LED's look better too. They had them on last years models, they must have some reason not to have done it this year. Good luck on your car hunt. I have a 330i and it is everything I thought it would be and more. I wouldn't not buy a car cause of the taillights, especially if there are aftermarket corrections.
  • Options
    hawkeye3hawkeye3 Member Posts: 9
    Just came across this old post. Thought you might find it helpful.

I read in the June 2001 BMW CCA Roundel that there's an official Service Bulletin 72 01 01 (March 2001) about the B-pillar seat belt mount "click" noticed by some regular posters. The cause is a plastic spacer ring and the replacement part is 72 11 1 978 983, to be covered under warranty.

I'll be bringing mine in for the fix shortly.
  • Options
    grahamman, thanks for the info. My email is in my profile. Please, send me that link. Thanks.

Couple of other items I wish BMW would change...1) lose the black seatbelts! Even MB has given in on this point. 2) what's with the lack of height adjustment for the seatbelts?......oh, one other....gotta put in an in-dash 6 disc cd!! Oh, one more....pearl white paint would be great!! I'd definitely pay for that.

....but still, what a great car! :shades:

blueguydotcom, dude you are so sarcastic? :confuse: Cheer up, man! :)
  • Options
    grahammangrahamman Member Posts: 10
    your email is private, put it on your profile and I will send that link
  • Options
    done. thanks.
  • Options
    Black seatbelts problem ? :confuse:
  • Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    Shipo

My dealer says 90-95 does it make a difference?
    I recently bought a torque wrench & it doesn't say 88.5 on it.
    I have a 2006 330i if makes any difference?

Thanks!
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, 90-95, that's a new one. I know that the torque specification for both my 1999 E46 328i and my 2002 E39 530i was 72 lb-ft per the Owner's Manuals. Having said that, BMW changed the spec to 88.5 (retroactively by all accounts) for the 2003 model year. Interestingly enough the E90 Owner's Manual does not have a lug bolt specification, so, could it be 90-95? It's certainly possible, however, I've learned to verify, Verify, VERIFY anything that I've heard from a dealer.

To your question: there is very little difference between 88.5 and 90 lb-ft, and if your torque wrench doesn't have that setting, I'm thinking that it would certainly work perfectly well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    is there a big difference in performance in sedans vs coupe.i like coupes but the new ones r not out yet so i am concidering a 330i sedan.but i just wana know that what is the main diff other than the 2 doors?
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    After 8 long months of waiting I finally was able to pick up my 2006 325xi. It was well worth the wait. The dealer said I have one of the first ones built in the world (60 or something like that), not that is was a big deal to me. I had an A4 before this and the BMW does everything better than the Audi, especially in terms of pick up. It does not have the lag feel you get with the Quattro and definetly corners better too. By the way, the Leatherette interior is just fine for those who wish to save about $1400 on the Leather. Helps with those Gas bills!! ;)
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    I think the big problem with torquing lug nuts/bolts is when they are torqued unevenly. Hence the recommendation that an impact wrench not be used to torque them, the impact wrench is not consistent. The unevenly torqued bolts tend to cause warped brake rotors.
  • Options
    Hey y'all,

I've read some of youse guys asking about an extra set of wheels for snow tires. Well, I just came across a set on the major online auction site we all know. They come with a new set of regular tires, too.

The auction has ended but here is the item number - 8003556413 . You can look it up with that number. I imagine the seller would relist them.

fyi - I get nothing out of this. Just passing on information. No relationship to seller whatsoever.
  • Options
    I've always liked the coupe, but have had to buy the sendan for the doors. The coupe has, IMHO, had a more sporty look; & if I remember correctly better drag numbers. I wouldn't expect a big performance diff though.

Get the 330, then when the coupe comes out & you like it, trade it in.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the current British pricing is for an M3? Just read that the E90 M3 will be around 45,000 Pounds. How does that compare with the E46 M3?
  • Options
    The M3 coupe starts at around 42000 pounds and the convertible at about 45000 pounds. Is that 45000 pounds the base price for the E90 M3?
This discussion has been closed.