Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    saigonboi21saigonboi21 Member Posts: 150
    they usually wont sell it to you once you drove off. BUt it's worth a try- just ask them see if you can buy it still. Not to make you feel bad or anything, but the cost (including labor) for each tire runs about $350.
  • Options
    kenshirokenshiro Member Posts: 16
    How much did you pay for your tire insurance? You mentioned in your other threads that you shopped around with other dealers for the insurance and bought it with a different dealer from the one you bought your car. Did you purchase it after you bought the car?
    I am going to try few of the dealers here to see if I can still purchase the tire insurance. Hope it wont happened to me again and the insurance will give me peace of mind. I wished my dealer had mentioned the insurance or warned about the cost of RF to me.
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I believe you still can buy it as long as your car is practically new with only a few hundred miles.
    At the time the dealer I bought the car from asked for $399 and then later changed to $499 saying the additional $100 was for RF tires on '06. I began calling a couple other dealers with one quoting $399 so I bought it from that dealer. While probably all BMW dealers are selling this insurance , the underwriters are individual insurance cos. BMW has nothing to do with this aspect of the operation. Before I decided on the policy, I also talked to the insurance co directly concerning coverage and claim processing. Make sure it is for 5 years' coverage (they gernearlly are). While tire damage is probably the most likely problem we face, those alloy wheels that come with the car are also included (if it doesn't hold air due to damage, not for cosmetic blemish). So I think it is a reasonable deal.
  • Options
    rabbit63rabbit63 Member Posts: 1
    I tested drive 06 325i today. I noitced there was about a half second delay after I pressed the gas paddle. For those who own 06 325i, have you had the same experience?

:confuse:
  • Options
    barry626barry626 Member Posts: 78
    My dealer never offered & doubt I would of wasted $500.00 or much more that your paying?
    I'm taking my $ and buying 1 new RunFlat for $245.00 "Tirerack" + 1 snow tire for $135.00.
    I will keep both tires as spares in my garage & if needed drive home & get the tire.
    When going on a long trip, throw tire in trunk & I'm all set if something happans?
    No need to buy extra rim or have weight of it in the truck. Use the rim on car.
    If I get a flat & cannot be repaired? just get towed to dealer, gas station or where ever?
    $375.00 and I'm all set for summer + winter!
    If I never get a flat? I'm ahead of the game for when I need to buy 4 tires in 2 years.
  • Options
    ivangivang Member Posts: 1
    Last week I also discovered a nail in my right rear tire of my 330 with SP. I just took it down to Discount Tire where they sell this Bridgestone Potenza RF and they repaired it. The nail was right in the middle of the tire. I was watching as they were removing the tire from the rim and it did seem to take more time and effort to remove it. I'm still not sure why, but the tire repair was free. I wonder if it's some type of free general warranty that applies to Bridgestone that is honored anywhere the tire is sold? By the way, I did purchase the tire road hazard insurance. Since the repair, I've noted no problems. The folks at Discount Tire were great :) Not one scratch on the rim. I did notice they rebalanced the wheel and the weights are also on the inside as before.
  • Options
    Good to know that it is repairable as other standard tires as long as the nail is in the middle. I think the RF tire manufactures either got enough grief from owners of vehicles eqipped with these tires or it is an "unspoken" policy of BMW who will reimburse the repair. In such a way, BMW avoids the liability and at the same time appeases the owners of the '06 3 series.
    Nice to learn it is actually reapairable. It may also depend on how long has one driven the car with an airless tire, I suppose. Thanks for confirming this matter of great interest to many.
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'd go with sport. The comfort access stuff is just one more electronic gizmo to go bad. If I had comfort anything, I'd want Bluetooth so that I can swap to an in car phone and go hands-free vs carrying my phone. Sticking a key in the ignition or pressing a button to unlock is no biggie for me.

As for adaptive headlights, while the E90 may be new, adaptive headlights aren't. They've been on the 5, 6, and 7 Series for a few years and even the previous E46's had it after 2003 I believe.

Just the particular part for the E90 is new.

I wouldn't sweat it. BMW did it first and it HAS been available for several years.

-Paul
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    hi.i am desiding between titanium silver and graphite. i already had a silver color in past so i want a change. at first when i saw the graphite color it looked like dark gray but in certain light conditions it looks kind of purple and i hate that purple look. has anyone else found the color purple at times?
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I have sparkling graphite and only noticed the purple hue (which I'm not lovin') after my purchase. I like the color a lot, but not at times when that purple comes out. That said, sparkling graphite seems to be the signature color for the new 3, based on all those pics in the brochure and ads.
  • Options
    is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    So my new 330i is in. It was a custom order, the exact car I wanted. Problem is there was a mix-up and the car arrived with the metal interior trim instead of the wood. Personal preferences aside, I had my heart set on the wood and know from a friend how easy the metal gets scratched and dents.
    Here's my question... I believe the dealership can swap out the trim for the correct set but I'm very un-easy with that. The thought of my new car being taking apart from it's factory fresh state and having new trim put in really bothers me (if it's even possible). I hate rattles, I'm a 'freak' with my cars with dings and marks and I'm concerned that after these changes are made a few months or longer down the road it all might start to rattle etc. What should I do? Anyone had there trim removed/changed before? Thanks.
  • Options
    We were supposed to have the wood trim with the nat brown leather interior. Came with the metal trim (insert barf icon here). They just didn't match.

Dealer swapped in the wood trim with no problems at all. The amount of stuff they have to remove to install trim is minimal, so I wouldn't expect rattles or squeaks, at least not from the trim.

-Paul
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I was offered $699. or $799 for 3 years tire/wheel coverage. there seems to be a price discrepancy. $399 for 5 years seems more reasonable. Like the other poster Discount tire will repair flats for free. Unless of course its in the side wall. So im going "self insured" myself. I too wish there had been a "choice".

DL
  • Options
    matwagsmatwags Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2002 330i 5-speed with SP. I have been test driving alot of 2006 manual cars in the entry level sport sedan class. These have included the Audi A4, Acura TL, Infinity G35(2005 auto), the 325i and today the 330i. I saved the BMW's for last, knowing that I would love them.

I have to admit that I was underwhelmed by the TL and A4. I actually liked driving the G35, but I was underwhelmed by the interior. The 325i is a nice ride, but doesn't quite have the power(torque) of my car. I saved the 330i for last because I figured that I would be blown away, but for some reason, it didn't feel as powerful as my car. The thing I love about my car is second gear, because you can go from 10 to 50mph in a heartbeat. I think it may be the 6-speed. Has anyone else had this experience?

I was thinking about taking another test drive to be sure.
  • Options
    You made the right decision. I would have never bought the coverage for that kind of price.
    Now that it seems the tire can be repaired, you can always go to the Bridgestone dealers to get it fixed. Don't go to the BMW dealers though as they will tout the company line to insist on replacing the tire.
  • Options
    michael39michael39 Member Posts: 2
    It must be the change in the colour of the leaves when a young man's fancy turns to snow tires and checking Christmas getaway prices. I recently bought a BMW 325i that has Bridgestone all season tires on them. I live in Toronto where we get two to three major snow dumpings each year. I grew up driving an old Chevy with rear wheel drive and no snow tires. Am I crazy to consider leaving on the all season tires or are snow tires a must? I have read some of the comments on this forum re RF tires and options. It is helpful, but I'm not even sure what my best options are if I decide that I have to put on winter skins. I love my car but I hate the thought of forking out a huge amount of cash on snows. That said, I hate the thought of wrapping it around a post even more.
    I want to hear from any other BMW owners who live with all seasons and snow.
    Much appreciated.
  • Options
    equan1equan1 Member Posts: 27
    I don't understand why someone would purchase a $40 - 50 K (CAD) sport sedan and drive with all season tires. If you plan to keep the car, the additional cost of the snow tires is just an up front cost but your tires will last longer. There is a minor inconvenience for the change over but Costco or some other outlet will perform that service free of charge. Tires must be the single most important item for winter driving. Why experience poorer handling and a possible accident for < 2% of the value of your car?
  • Options
    Speak for your self ! it was 98F here in Dallas today. And i burned myself on my Black naugahyde seats :mad: . Sorry just had to vent that.
  • Options
    amiramir Member Posts: 115
    my dealer says that there is a $330 advertising fee that is part of the invoice price.. the invoice price of the car was $39730 but he says that he has to add this fee too.. i would like to know thet is the advertising fee a gimic or it is real? please help.. i live in sothern california though
  • Options
    calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    It's called MACO and yes some parts of the country charge it and it varies by region.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,463
    On Sunday morning I attended a Lexus driving event and was able to test various cars set up on a course in a parking lot. Even though my drives were short, I was able to get a feel for what the Lexus IS350 & E90 330iA. The course set up wasn't the toughest. I'm sure brave1heart and div2 could have done it with their eyes closed. It started out with a straightaway, then you had to swerve left to "avoid" a motorist changing a tire, then a (wide) right hand hairpin sweeper, and an S curve. Here I will post my humble opinion. Both cars a were automatics(Boo! Although I should be one to talk, my '01 Prelude is currently in the shop needing a new clutch after only 53K miles so feel free to take shots at my driving ability :blush: ) and were loaded to the gills. The 330iA had SP and Nav among other things. I used the steptronic mode and started both cars out in 1st gear, upshifting to 2nd and leaving it there for the duration of the drive. I took 2 alternating laps in each car (BMW, Lexus, BMW, Lexus).

The IS350 accelerates like a rocket, truly instantaneous. It is the first car I've ever driven that I haven't said "could use more power" or "the automatic really sucks the power out of this motor." You leave for work late in the IS350 and you'll et there early. Handling was decent, but the body pitched and rolled around the turns and I felt the steering was loose. The brakes are strong, but very difficult to modulate. I don't particularly care for the new IS exterior styling. The drving position is too straight forward for me. I like to sit down low and "in" the car.

The 330iA is truly a magical car. It may not be light like an E30, or as tossable as an E36, or this thing is damn good, why change it like the E46, but it works. Acceleration was good, more than enough to get out of your own way in everyday driving situations (I'm sure the 6 speed manual boogies). Steering is point and shoot, very direct. Body lean in the turns was minimal and barely detectable. I was absolutely blown away at how well this car handled. I planted my foot in the apex of the sweeping hairpin and the BMW held on and kept going without protesting. Sport seats were supportive. I love the low slung driving position. It is very sportscar-esq like my Prelude.

As cheesy as it may sound, the 330i is truly the ultimate driving machine. Anybody watching who is considering a 3 series "competitor (I say in quotes because this car really has NO competition)" owes it to themselves to drive a BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    chatkatchatkat Member Posts: 41
    I got the SG and I love it with the Grey Leather. Beautiful. I drove a Titantium 328 for 6 years. Both colors always look clean and don't show dust or dirt. People stop me and ask what color my car is. It seems to reflect the surroundings based on the light. The silver has been a classic. i've only seen one or two of them in either color on the road. Mostly, I've seen black and one white.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    Great write-up! So you mean to say that just cramming some extra horses in the IS doesn't do it. We always complain about the BMW horses, but you have to admit that it's not all about the horses. Can't wait for the M3 though.
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Nice writeup.... Would you mind posting that to Luxury Performance Sedans and/or Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans? There are lots of people in that forum that would surely be interested in your comparison review.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Great idea - the Entry Level is the correct discussion. Let's not get him in trouble for spamming, though, since he's already posted it in a couple of places. ;)

I posted a link there to his message here so folks can find it easily.
  • Options
    lars9lars9 Member Posts: 3
    I will be ordering a 325i in about 4 months and I was wondering if the Logic 7 was worth getting. I haven't been able to listen to the regular system and compare it to the Logic 7 yet. What are people's opinions about this? Is the Logic 7 an improvement over the Harmon Kardon? Thanks.
  • Options
    150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    tell him its part of his cost of doing business. my family had a dealership for 55 years. if eating the advertising made the sale, we always ate it.
  • Options
    I have the '06 330i with logic 7 the standard sound system. It sounds nice with surround sound as well as the more refined, detailed adjustments. However, I'll not pay around $1,000 for the system, if it is an option. I think the regular sound system is adequate and the difference doesn't justify the cost.
    Try to hear the system side by side and decide. You'll be the best judge.
  • Options
    "So you mean to say that just cramming some extra horses in the IS doesn't do it". Exactally. Its the same story for Infiniti, and others . They can add 500hp but I still aint buying it...
  • Options
    untrueuntrue Member Posts: 18
    Why didn't BMW make the 330i start out as stripped as the 325i and let us buyers pick and choose our options? Then, a stripped 330i would cost around $1K more than the 325i. No one in their right mind would buy the 325i. The 325i would be a non-car at at that point. They should just get rid of it and allow the 330i to be had truly a-la-cart.

CZ
  • Options
    Why didn't BMW make the 330i start out as stripped as the 325i and let us buyers pick and choose our options? Then, a stripped 330i would cost around $1K more than the 325i. No one in their right mind would buy the 325i. The 325i would be a non-car at at that point. They should just get rid of it and allow the 330i to be had truly a-la-cart.

You answered your own question! :) Since the price would be close (adding the std 330i features to the 325i, the difference is $2705 -- $34,590 vs $37,295), it would be much more difficult to market each car separately. They needed some market differentiation.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the 1,000hp Nissan Skyline GTR :)
  • Options
    robviarobvia Member Posts: 19
    Yes, there are now advertising fees that come from the factory.
    I recently ordered a Charger and the fleet manager went into the order web page and gave me a print out to take home. On it were 4 extra fees.
    8 additional gallons of gas $15 (yes, you pay for the gas now), Customer Loyalty Mailing ($25), South Florida DAA ($275), South Florida PPA/EB-PF ($235). These fees vary depending on where you live.
    I was curious myself, so I typed those codes into google, and they led back to discussions on this board with similar answers.
    Now, if the dealer puts additional fees on the work sheet, that's a different story. But you will find them coming from the factory.
  • Options
    chillnycchillnyc Member Posts: 20
    Could you please tell me where you purchased your chrome exhaust tips? I am getting an 06 325 and I like the way the chrome exhaust tips look. Thanks for your help in advance.

regards,
    chillnyc
  • Options
    Your BMW Dealer's parts department should have them or be able to order them for you.
  • Options
    lars9lars9 Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about ordering an '06 alpine white 325i and I'm trying to keep the cost down, so it will probably have minimal options. I want the sport package (with 6-speed manual) and the cold weather package - because I live in Minnesota. My question is this: I was comtemplating whether I should get leather or the leatherette. I really like the terra leather with the white exterior, but I don't know if I want to spend $1,450 for it. Does leatherette wear as well as leather? Will it crack easier? Our winters get to -20 to -30 degrees and our summers can get up to 100 degrees. Just wondering how it holds up.
  • Options
    IMHO you should look at the 330. You say that you want to keep costs down, but are adding two packages. As far as the leather-try them both out at a local dealer. The ette may hold up better, but it's up to you.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,499
    I'd buy the leather over the 'ette for the shear smell of it (LOL). Seriously, the leather is soooo aromatic.
  • Options
    The leatherette will definitely hold up better. Leather is more prone to cracking and wearing down.... You can keep leather looking good with saddle soap and leather conditioners, but the leatherette probably won't even need that.

Since you'll be getting the sport package with the performance tires, you'll definitely need to get a set of winter tires for Minnesota.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,502
    Normally, I recommend getting the leather...just for resale..and because I like it.. Who wants to try to sell a premium car, and then have to explain about how it has vinyl interior?

But, in your case, I wouldn't worry about it.... If you are going for the minimalist thing on options... Without the premium package, you aren't going to have power seats, etc... and with no slushbox, you aren't going to attract the luxury crowd on resale, anyway...

So, I'd take that money and put it into xenon headlights, and save the rest for winter tires, as bdr127 suggests...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    michael39michael39 Member Posts: 2
    Your point is well taken. With the alloy rims and taking the tires on and off in the winter, not to mention the RF issue. Is my only option to get another set of rims and winters? It isn't the cost of the winter tires that concerns me, it is that I am getting feedback that taking the tires on and off the alloys could cause me problems and that the RF issue makes me feel that I am bound to the dealer.
  • Options
    ct1211ct1211 Member Posts: 56
    I passed my 2004 3 series on to the wife, great car - In answer to your post - I have a 2006 Infiniti M series that says wanna bet?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,463
    If you'd like I'll answer your question in the Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans board which I have just subscribed to.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    Took my first drive in an '06 325i last evening. All the salespeople were busy, so they let me take it out by myself -- much more fun that way.

I was driving an automatic transmission, and the only odd thing I noticed was that the initial response to the accelerator pedal was not real immediate. After that initial vagueness, it seemed very responsive. I would be a first-time BMW owner, so I'm wondering if this is a BMW characteristic, or maybe a function of electronic throttle control (I'm assuming BMW is using this). The benefit I would see is for people like me living where it snows -- it would make it easier to pull away without spinning the wheels.

I'm willing to make allowance for the fact that each car has a little different "feel" in the way it operates. Some cars I've had are like jackrabbits with the accelerator, others more vague. Still, it surprised me a little to have that somewhat indefinite initial feel with the 325.

I thought the car overall was very impressive. I kept increasing the throttle slightly as it went up through the gears, and it always seemed to have some power to offer, so I would say the 215 hp would be plenty for me. And this was with the compressor running. It was a jet black exterior, beige leatherette interior. I think my choice would be the Arctic exterior and black interior, with maybe poplar trim
  • Options
    I'd forgotten to mention the xenons-must have. What do you guys think-as long as he's adding so much stuff isn't it worth pricing the 330?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,502
    IMHO, I'd stick with the 325i...

He isn't adding the premium package... That is where you start getting closer in price... So, even with his configuration, he is probably going to be $5K less than a comparable 330i...

With the stick and sport package, he won't need the extra horses.... His car will be a blast to drive....

regards,
    kyfdx
    (not the host... and not my money)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I think is more a selection of the steptronic. I had a manual 325 (xi) and throttle response was there exactly when I pressed the gas.

Try the step in the 'manual' mode or the sport mode. Response will be a bit different. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    kukharkinkukharkin Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know how to track the order by production number? I remember someone mentioned that it is possible thru BMW website...

Thx.
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    You know, I'm new to the car and wasn't aware of the different settings (thanks for the info), and no salesperson went with me to explain them. I just put it in "D" and took off. I've Googled around a little today and found out about the normal, sport, and manual modes. I would assume the default mode that I was driving in would be "normal." I don't want to drive it in the "manual" mode, so I'll try the "sport" mode next time and see if it makes a difference.

I also discovered that the engine has no traditional throttle -- engine speed is determined by how far the intake valve opens. Maybe that accounts for the way the pedal felt to me when you first start off.
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Just go to this site and enter your production number on VID.
    https://oc.bmwusa.com/oemainlogin.asp

Your sales person should be able to give you one of these numbers. I have been tracking mine and they tend to be 3 to 4 days behind so I have been keeping in touch with my salesperson since the dealer information is more recent.
This discussion has been closed.