Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    statistical validity you haveto admit that people LOVE to complain, they love saying "I'll never buy another _insert Domestic car co name here_ car again!"

Since (knock on wood) this is not happening so much with Fords newer cars, we have to conclude that they must bemore reliable, at least the ones that EDMUNDS readers bought.

and what of the Camry faithful? I do't know, Toyota is too smart to met something like this slip in its flagship sedan... the timing is just too perfect, but this is not a conspiracy theory forum (especially not an art of war) kind of thing.

It look like Ford could se a rise in sales starting with Job2, hopefully they will se the light and add a manumatic. A six speed of that type would really be fun to drive. Can't complain though, they are really updating there product, over at ford.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You won't see a big rise in sales until they add another plant. They're pretty much selling all the ones they can manufacture right now.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I'm am just under 5'8 and I could never get a comfortable seating position in the Taurus. I learned to drive in an 87 Wagon and they were the same up to the present. If you are short legged, and you don't have the adjustable pedals, you have to choose either:

1 Being 2 close to the steering wheel.
    2 Stretching for the pedals... not a good move.
    3 sliding the seat close, then reclining to get some distance from the wheel.

I always choose 3 but then I couldn't see the front of the car.

Check this out:
    http://www.jdpower.com/studies_jdpower/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=1160

I think its pretty safe to assume that Mercury scored second overall based on the reliability of all those Sables.

Mark
  • Options
    theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    I know this is not exactly about the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr but I think it's a relevant question. For the first time in a long time Ford received some good news.
    Stock Upgraded

Fords' stock value was "Upgraded" to Outperform. Also, it is predicted that Fords stock might hit $15.00 a share from it's current $7.30-$8.00 it's at right now. I'm not a financial person and I have no idea what that means. I was wondering is there any Ford fans that could possibly explain what in the world this means. I might buy some Ford stock.
  • Options
    All it means is ONE stupid analyst thinks Ford stock will make a big comeback. I wouldn't be surprised if that analyst owns a lot of Ford stock today. Nobody knows what the stock will do, not even professional analysts. It's just an educated guess.
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    to chat online with a "sales director" from Ford. Of course this is the internet and you don't know who you are really chatting with.. But.. anyhoo.. The person claimed sales of Fusion/Milan are pretty much on track for what Ford anticipated.. Don't know whether this is good or bad? I had to believe this person was some sort of Ford upper management. Because he would not give name, would not give numbers, was overall pretty vague.. Pure management style..So, I guess I have to take it for what its worth.. little... :shades:
  • Options
    It's no secret that sales are at or just above targets. The plant is running at full capacity and there are no backlogs of vehicles on the lots.
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Sales have been great, considering that the local dealer has at most 5 Fusions on the lot at any time, and they're ALL sold within a week. There are different cars on the lot every time I pass by, if there's any left at all...
  • Options
    tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I also posted on the price paid forum.

Why is it so hard to find a base S model with the security and ABS packages? I live in a big metro area and there's none around here! Does Ford figure people who buy the base models are so cheap that they don't care abour safety? On some vehicles there's side airbags but no ABS?? Who cares enough to get the side airbags and yet doesn't want basic ABS? That's just dumb packaging.
  • Options
    What extended warranty? There's none I know of. Thanks.
  • Options
    I test drove a 5-speed manual. During gear change at moderate speeds, the car made a fairly noticable noise that sounded like it hit a racoon on the road. Can some of you who have a manual Fusion comment on this? This must come from the engine breaking right? It happens when the speed is probably a little lower than the gear you shift into, such as shifting to 3rd at 40mph.
  • Options
    What extended warranty? There's none I know of.

All 06 models sold in July or later get essentially the same extended powertrain warranty as will be standard on the 07s. They're doing it by adding a powertrain ESP which goes to 5 yrs/60K miles on the Ford and Mercury brands and 6 yrs/70K miles on Lincolns. Only difference is the 06 will have a $100 deductible.
  • Options
    Does Ford figure people who buy the base models are so cheap that they don't care abour safety?

Don't blame Ford. The dealers order the vehicles and they tell Ford which options they want or don't want. Fact is there are a lot of people out there who don't want to pay for expensive safety items. If it weren't for the bad publicity from the optional side airbags they'd still be optional for 07.

Don't underestimate the dealer influence. In 2003 the Lincoln LS had 4 models (V6/V8 base and sport) ready to go but due to dealer pressure they ended up with only a base V6 and a V8 sport. Supposedly it was too confusing.

The dealers also killed the V6 manual LS model because they wouldn't order any for test drives and even told customers that you don't need a manual in a Lincoln.

And that is part of the problem with Ford today. If they could start over from scratch with new dealers and new rules it would really be nice.
  • Options
    This message is not correct.

Ford tells the dealerships what % of each trim and option package they are going to build. This is called the Mix. The Mix is vital to the business case. Optional equipment has more profit. In order for the business model to work, the MIX must be followed.

For instance, if all dealers decided to NOT order the optional automatic transmission, Ford will miss out on all those additional profits from that transmission. The Fusion line as a whole might not even be profitable.

What I hope Ford does is try to balance the Mix so that the vast majority of people are able to get a car with the options that they want.

If you want an unpopular combination, Ford at least gives you the choice of ordering a car.

The Japanese model is to option the cars out for customers with little or no choice and little or no ability to order.

For instance, try finding a new Altima 2.5 S with SE package that does not also have the "Safety kit", "Trunk Mat", and "Splash Guards".

These last there items are just a way for Nissan to add profit to the car. By including them on all cars, the customer has no choice.

As for the S Fusion, Ford already offers a car at that price with Side Air Bags and ABS pretty available. Its called a Focus SES.

Mark
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    Configuration issues can probably be equally blamed on both manufacturers and dealers. I find myself always wanting something that's not there, even if it should be according to the spec sheets. I'm not even that picky - I would take overprices floor mats or some other "junk". Couple of years ago I was shopping for a 5-door hatchback/wagon with manual transmission and some all available safety equipment. All manufacturers had those vehicles listed as possible to configure (I mean there wereno exclusions in their on-line configurators or brochures. Toyota, Ford, Pontiac - nothing in entire State. Only Mazda3 dealers had something close. If manual, then only a stripper and sedan/3-door. I just could not believe it - it looks that according to dealers and manufacturer a person who like spirited driving, but enjoys utility of wagon/hatchback and likes to have all available safety (ABS, airbags etc.) does not exist. Well, here I was.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    I thought the 'mix' was a recommendation only and the dealers were free to order whatever they wanted. We've been told in the past by Ford executives that they have no control over what a dealer orders (this was in response to the LS manual transmission when we suggested they force dealers to order at least one for inventory and test drives).

I understand that they might rescind an option if they ran out of parts but I don't see how they can force certain options on the dealers.
  • Options
    mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    Here's the recommended mix for the 2007 Fusion

2007MY Recommended Mix

I've noticed the same issue around NE Ohio. None of the dealers order ABS on their S or even SE models. But Ganley equipped all of their fusions with ABS. Most don't, one all... :confuse:
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "I never said that number of posts in Edmunds has statistical validity."

that may be so but your conclusions based on these posts imply that they do have statistical validity. there are no independent surveys that suggest the fusion is less troublesome than the current camry.

happy motoring with your taurus.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    The Fusion automatic transmission has not had any issues.. 07 Camry has.. All over the net, even right here at Edmunds.. :shades:
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It shouldn't. The Fusion automatic (at least the six speed) comes from Aisin, a Toyota affiliate. This fall, that changes. It will be replaced by the GM Ford Joint Venture Six Speed.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Will it get a new shifter with at least one more choice other than just D and L?
    Will there ever be a 5 or 6-speed auto for the 4 cylinder?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The automatic on the I4 is a 5-speed.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/features/specs/
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Have my manu-matic prayers finally been answered???? I can't wait to see. Is that tranny going into the 07 models?
  • Options
    stevedeneshastevedenesha Member Posts: 2
    could you please post any pics you have of the appearance package and rear spoiler? I ordered the package last week and also wonder if there is going to be a delay on producing the appearance package and rear spoiler or if it will be ready for production on 4 sep?
    Steve
  • Options
    This fall, that changes. It will be replaced by the GM Ford Joint Venture Six Speed.

Are you sure about that? I thought only the 3.5L vehicles get the JV 6 speed (Edge/MKZ/MKX).
  • Options
    There is no documentation that the Fusion is getting the new 6 speed transmission.

Also, dealers order what they want, but ultimately, Ford decides what to build.

Thats why there was a shortage of manual Mustangs. That $1000 automatic had profit they wanted to capture.

Mark
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it after a search.

Does anybody know if the Milan will get AWD for MY2007?

Thanks,

A.
  • Options
    Hi all, I've gotten a very good price on a Fusion for WELL below invoice. But I'm a bit uneasy about its reliability especially considering it's a 1st year model. Can you all owners comment on the reliability? Thanks!
  • Options
    So far, so good. Hardly any problems have surfaced since launch. I wouldn't hesitate.
  • Options
    snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    Search all online forums and you'll find very little that is upsetting Fusion owners. Buy one...but make sure you know about the upcoming '07 changes (making side airbags standard + others) before signing the papers.
    By the way...1200 no worry miles for me on my SE 4cyl auto.
  • Options
    I can also vouch for reliability. I now have 4,000 trouble free miles on my Fusion SEL V6. No rattles, no squeaks either. The 3.0 Duratec has been around for about 10 years now in the U.S. market, longer in Europe. It is a proven reliable engine. Granted the V6 in the Fusion is a bit different with VVT added. No recalls since the introduction of the Fusion/Milan. Get out on the net visit other car chat rooms you will see how reliable and enjoyable the Fusion/Milan are. I also got my Fusion SEL V6 loaded for below the lowest price found on the internet. Very nice car, very good value. One word of advice. If you get black leather, get your windows tinted right away. They get hot!.. :shades: Let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    VCT was first used on the 3.0L Duratec in the 2000 Jag S-type (although it used Jag specific heads, etc.). The Ford debut was in the 2003 3.0L Lincoln LS. So even that isn't new.

I'm actually quite surprised that we haven't seen at least a few minor problems - I expected that from a totally new vehicle. But so far so good. If you look at the track record of recent vehicles like the Mustang and new F150 you'll see a similar pattern. I think Quality really is job 1 again.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've gotten a quote of less than $17K out of the door for a base S model with .9% financing. That's a selling price of $15K. Even though that's a great price, I kinda want the ABS and side airbags for safety reasons. With these two options added, it'll cost about $1700 more which would really put pressure on my tight budget. I don't know. Maybe I'll just fix up my current car or wait for the 07 models. I only hope the deals will still be there by then.
  • Options
    snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    Sounds like my SE 4cyl auto, sport pkgt, with side airbags and abs options (which SHOULD BE standard...period!) was out the door TTL and applied rebates at 19000. I was pleased, and I took the 1.9 which was offered at the time for 48 months. There will be deals on the 07's, but likely not right away, and not as good. I figured even paying for abs and side airbags with the financing and rebates I was looking at a near wash versus waiting for an 07. Good luck.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You will generally find that "the deals" will be there in some form or other no matter when you want to purchase. The deals may not be quite as good for an 07 model right after the 07's come out, but if you can pick and choose when you buy, you will always find a "deal" sooner or later.

Ford is probably fairly limited in the volumes they can kick out of Fusion/Milan/Zephyr as they currently all come out of one plant, however they also are competing against all the other brands, so no manufacturer really can get too greedy in the midsize sedan market. There are just too many competitors with good vehicles to choose from.
  • Options
    Now available on 06 Fusions in NY Market,

Why wait?

Mark
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    VCT was first used on the 3.0L Duratec in the 2000 Jag S-type (although it used Jag specific heads, etc.). The Ford debut was in the 2003 3.0L Lincoln LS. So even that isn't new.

Wasn't the 3.0 Duratec used without any cam phasing in the Taurus since about 1998?

BTW, this engine is an American design.
  • Options
    I should have said VCT debut. It was obviously in use without VCT prior to 2003.
  • Options
    I can wait for a while, but not too long. My current car's struts gave out and I have to decide wether to fix it or get a new car before too long. So far after driving the Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Chevcy Malibu (4-cyl), Cobalt, Aveo, the Fusion appeals to me the most. But as of this morning the 06 Focus got on my radar due to the $3K rebate and its good reliability record. And it's sevral thousand cheaper than the Fusion. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the comments.
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Thank you John.
  • Options
    I understand they share the same engine. But what about the chasis and everything else. Does anybody know what other parts they share? Maybe this will give me some clue to Fusion's reliability?
  • Options
    They don't really even share a chassis because Ford lengthened and widened the Mazda6 platform for their CD3 platform. The body, interior, suspension tuning, wheels, etc. are all unique to Ford. I also think that the PCM is different but I can't swear to it. They do use the same integrated key/fob which is one of my favorite features.
  • Options
    I thought the 3.0 Duratec was from Ford of Europe and a Euro design?? I had read at one point it had been in Europe for about 2 years before making its debut in USA..
  • Options
    The Duratec 2.5 was developed in 94 for the Mondeo. The 3.0 is a bored out 2.5 and was introduced in 96 in the Taurus/Sable and is built in Cleveland. The 3.0 isn't used in Europe AFAIK.
  • Options
    gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Some engeneering by Porsche.
  • Options
    thebigfoistthebigfoist Member Posts: 15
    I have a V6 SEL. Have been driving it 6 months, no problems or signs of problems. I honestly think it's a great car.

My advice is to get the car that you want. Almost all cars nowadays have acceptable reliability, and I think Ford has made some great strides of late.

As a bit of an aside, I simply don't understand some people...two of my friends own 4-year-old Accords, both have had some problems, yet I got looked at like I had 3 heads when I told them I bought another Ford. I think some people need to wake up and realize it's not the 80's anymore - Honda and Toyota certainly make good cars but so do the Big Three.
  • Options
    I definitely second that. We had a 02 Malibu for 3 years and had zero problem. However I have to say it remains to be seen what the long term reliability for the domestics will be like say in 2012. Good luck with your Fusion. I hope you'll have years of trouble free miles.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    The 3.0 isn't used in Europe AFAIK.

Actually, it's used in the current generation Mondeo.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I drove '89 Ford Scorpio with 3.0L DOHC engine. It was extremely quiet, I actually tried to start engine it again because could not hear of feel engine running - only tachometer was showing that engine is running. I do not know how it is related to Duratec but Duratec is not as refined as European engine was. And Scorpio was pretty fast too.