Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• rickstratrickstrat Posts: 25
    Ours was too. Dealership ordered a new one and stuck it on for free. If you have 3M double sticky tape, it will work fine also if you don't want to make another trip to the dealership. BTW, our trailer hitch looked really nice after it was installed (they are ordering a new lower bumper cover as they scratched it as well). We tried it out this weekend with a bike carier (Thule) and it performed really well.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    you would think that they will learn from this and go the way of others and provide a bumper already cut out for the trailer hitch. which wiring harness did you get? do you have pics of the hitch with the wiring harness mounted?

I ordered the 7 wire round as I can get a converter to 4 wire flat if needed but dont think you can go from 4 wire to 7 wire.
  • rickstratrickstrat Posts: 25
    I didn't get the wiring harness as this hitch (for now) will be used for a bike carrier. Looked like the wiring harness was almost $100 from the dealership. I remember when a few well placed splices would do the trick. I did like how the wiring harness mount is tucked up underneath the bumper to prevent damage though. As for the scuff, that was actually the short end of the story. Appearantly, a lot attendant locked our $100 key inside the vehicle. Instead of calling us to get the spare, he used a coat hanger to try to get in. He was successful, eventually, after scratching up most of the driver's and passenger's side interior door trim. Dealership was very apologetic and is fixing everything today and have waved the installation charges for the tow hitch. Cost them over $1,000 in parts (scratched driver's window) including a new interior door panel which cost $800 alone! Makes those $100 keys seem pretty cheep! Lesson to all - don't use a coat hanger to get into a locked car!
    ouch just reading your story makes me cringe ... best wishes that it comes out as good as new. Well they should give you a loaner at least with the new coverage...

what do you mean its tucked up under the bumper for the wiring harness. I have yet to see one installed.
  • mrus1mrus1 Posts: 5
    I bought my FWD Pacifica 2 weeks ago. This past week it started making a grinding noise at 35 - 40 mph that lets up after you have been driving for about an hour. I took it to the dealer Saturday, 35 minutes away and of course it wasn't doing it when I went there. They checked it over and couldn't find anything and thought the brakes were just wearing in. Has anyone else heard this noise???
  • pssimonpssimon Posts: 144
    If you look at page 12 of the documentation for the Navigation system, you will see a graphic that shows a split screen display. On the left side, it shows the "big picture" as to where you are along your path to your destination. On the right side, it shows the turn you should make as you get to it.

I can't find how to make my display go into the split screen mode. Does anyone have a clue how to do this? When I give it a destination, I just get a display that shows the upcoming turn, even if that turn is 20 miles away! That isn't very valuable if you are trying to plot your progress.

All help appreciated.
  • I agree the split screen mode gives you a better picture of the destination. To switch to split screen go to System Settings/Guidance and choose Both (both Arrow & Map screens).
    Thanks... that was exactly what I was looking for!
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    A better solution is to set the display for "map".
    The map will be the normal display, but when you get close to the next turn, the split screen will display.
    This way you see the big picture until you need the split screen.
  • When the dealer first showed me the power tailgate feature I could have sworn he gave a slight push downward on the tailgate to trigger it to close automatically. I can't find how to enable this feature (if it is a feature) in the manual. Any help?
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Posts: 113
    Hmmmmm...my salesman never mentioned that a slight push would trigger the automatic closing of the liftgate.

The only way that I know of to operate the power is to push the button on the key or the button on the overhead.

My salesman did say that I could open and close it manually or under power but just pushing closed or using the latch to open.
    just always make sure you dont forget when you get to hotel and the bellman tries to slam your hatch closed ... not happened to me but could see it happening...
  • boiler1boiler1 Posts: 56
    Only sound I hear sometimes is a "click" sort of sound when I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa.
    ditto on the click sound from drive to reverse (dont know if my wheel is turned or not when it occurs... wondering if that is why) anyways sometimes it does drop into revervse or drive loudly
    Somewhere on the Pacifica boards I read about a fix for the sound but can't remember where. I'll look this weekend and post a message #.
    did you find the solution ? anyone have a fix for the transmission dropping into drive or reverse loudly ?
  • aviateaviate Posts: 31
    We have a Pacifica with the CD/DVD changer but no screen. Has anyone tried using a DVD/A Audio disk in the changer. If so, how do you make it work? If not, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    I found a few mentions of the problem but no real solution. Look at post #13 on this board for one of them. I'll look some more but not until next week when we return from vacation (have to pay for internet access!). By the way, drove our Pacifica 700 miles yesterday with three kids, wife and 200+ lbs. of stuff!!! It was a delight and my Mopar cargo box on top looked pretty sharp too. We turned many heads on our way here to the beach. Averaged 18.5 MPG.
    For the Mopar cargo box, was that the first one on the accessories list that goes for $430? Did you have to pay list or did the dealer give you a break?
    Yes, it's the first one. I wanted the extra width. As for the price, I can't help you much because I worked several accessories into my deal like the box, scuff plate, hitch receiver, bike carrier and extra head phones. I'm sure I wouldn't have paid full price though. Based on other posts I've read here, the dealers will probably discount. I know you can get after market cargo carriers cheaper but the Mopar box has a really slick attachment system as well as those cool Mopar stickers on the back and sides!
  • ub302ub302 Posts: 2
    RE: #41, #42, #43. I've owned my pacifica for 3 months and have 5100 miles on it. I found that when you close the lift gate manually, it's kind of like closing the trunk on a caddy. The latch mechanism will engage and pull the liftgate tight and latch the gate. Kind of sounds like star wars. There's no pushing required to open the liftgate manually. The only problems I've encountered is the liftgate full open switch went bad which caused the liftgate to open erratically when opened electronically. If you close it manually it will not open electronically...the flashers will flash twice. Replacement of the switch fixed the problem.
  • Daytime Running Lights are mandatory in Canada on vehicles manufactured after 1991. Does the American 'version' have them? And if so, does anyone notice that one of these lights goes out when your turn signal is on? Is this normal? At first I thought the light was burned out as I watched my wife signalling and waiting to turn into our driveway... !
    nope :-( I wonder why they didnt offer running lights in the US as almost all mfg just offer them anyways for safety and I am guessing easier then having a Canadian and US model. but no the us doesnt have daytime running lights. kept playing with the auto setting then read the manual and found out. sorry cant help you on the turn signal thing but that doesnt sound correct at all !!!
    I think it may be the way it is designed because the daytime lights are typically the high beams at low power... so that would put the high beams right next to the front turn signals. so if you were turning during the day the person may not see the turn signal flashing ... being blinded by the running beam on that side ...
  • jmellonjmellon Posts: 8
    Hello all,

We've had our Pacifica for about two weeks now, and my wife has started hearing a rattling sound coming from the steering column or dash when she drives over bumps like railroad tracks. The sound doesn't happen all the time, but keeps coming back. We will be asking the dealer to look into it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had heard something similar. Otherwise, everything else on the vehicle is great and we are really enjoying it.
  • mrquispmrquisp Posts: 13
    I got a really stupid question for you... how do you know if you have the Intermezzo stereo system in the car? Is there any discenerable "flag" on the dash?
  • pfschimpfschim Posts: 29
    I've got the same thing going on. We just picked up our Pacifica Thur and have put 150mi on it over weekend. Pretty much anytime you go over rough pavement or, like we did Sunday, about a mile of moderately rough gravel road (no, not off road), there is a horrible sound like shaking a wooden box of silverware ... very nasty.

I told my salesman and service lead that I was hoping for a good (not great) quality experience from Chrysler ... I'm not real impressed so far, but we'll see what happens when I talk to them about this. I know sound/rattles are tough to track down and cure.
  • cshorecshore Posts: 1
    I have had my new Pacifica for less than one week. My children opened the rear windows for the first time, and I thought that I was going to lose my hearing. The pressure created was so intense that my ears still hurt 4 hours later. The vibration was quite significant; causing the rear tailgate to shake erratically. I do not consider this to be acceptable as a "normal occurrence." Has anyone heard back from the manufacturer regarding this problem?
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    This IS a normal occurance in almost any large open vehicle such as an SUV, station wagon or Pacifica. It happened on my '02 Mountaineer,'00 Volvo V70 T5 & '98 Volvo V70 XC. It is NOT exclusive to the Pacifica. The problem is easily solved by opening the drivers or passengers front window a crack. And your right it is a terribly annoying common occurance in all large open vehicles. You can read about it in many of the forums here on Edmunds
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Posts: 113
    There are a few posts at the start of this thread regarding this noise. It's mentioned in the Pacifica owner's manual on p. 119.

It's definitely normal; I've had this happend in almost every car I've owned. Best bet is to just keep the windows closed and let the automatic climate control system keep everyone comfy.
This discussion has been closed.