Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• pssimonpssimon Posts: 144
    Is there anywhere on the web I can look to see all of the TSBs related to my Pacifica, or any other Chrysler vehicle?

Thanks...
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    Edmunds offers some recall and TSB information here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet?tid=edmunds- .h..directory.safety.4.*

Also ALLDATA.com has some excellent TSB information.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    I didn't come up with any TSB info for the Pacifica :(
  • twoof1twoof1 Posts: 308
    and there are no 2004's listed on ALLDATA yet either
    First, I don't understand why Chrysler decided they needed to put a High Auto and a Low Auto button on their ventilation system. My previous car just had a button marked auto and it covered the extreme from blasting to barely on. What is the need for two buttons?

Second, if you play with the ventilation system, try this. Turn off the system and then put it on Low Auto. It lights. If it is really hot out, it goes into the recirculating air mode for a faster cool down. Press it again, and the light goes out, the recirculating indicator goes out and the fan seems to get faster. Press it again and it changes speed again and the light comes back on. What mode is it in when you press the button the second time?

Any thoughts?
  • JacemanJaceman Posts: 2
    For myself, the High auto seems to work best at quicker cooling, but the fan is pretty loud - so if I am on the cell phone, I switch to low auto since it is quite a bit quieter. Can't figure out why there is no mute on the radio either, but that is a different topic. Both button are lit when on and toggle off when you hit them again. When the auto modes are off, you are then in manual fan speed control mode. You then can increase or decrease fan speed using the up and down button to the right of the auto buttons.
  • JacemanJaceman Posts: 2
    I also have been hearing an annoying muffled rattle that is seemingly coming from either the dash or the sides of the windshield. After inspecting the outside of the vehicle, I have noticed that the molding that cover the sides of the windshield is not attached very firmly, and can be lifted quite easily. I wonder if that is cause for wind flapping? I also noticed that the trim plate between the top edge of the hood and the bottom of the windshield has a screw on each side. Both were not attached and could also easily flap when driving. I retighted both plastic screws and reseated the trip plate, but it came loose after then next time I drove the car at highway speeds. I have not taken it in yet to see what the dealer has to say, but thought I would see if anyone else thinks this might be the cause of some of the noise folks have been hearing.
  • joelcjoelc Posts: 5
    Regarding the poor radio reception: Between the two of us we have 2 GM and 2 Chrysler products. An Indianapolis TV station (50 mi.away) broadcasts on 87.7 . We enjoy listening to thier newscasts and other shows like Regis and Kelly where you dont have to see them to enjoy them. However the Mopars dont pick it up. I wrote to the technical advisor at the station and was told Chrysler radios dont have a band in them the GM radios do. Maybe that could also make some FM stations weak too.

An early post on the flapping noise under the wheel well said the dealership taped something in the wheel well that was loose.

I have air noise if I put the rear windows down on my 02 LeSabre Limited too. Was thinking of trading it on a Pacifica, but after reading all the problems I think I will hang on to it. Never have had a problem and on the 700 mi trip the guy got 18.5 mpg with the Pacifica , I would have gotten 29 mpg. Plus, I won't have to give up my DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS and ONSTAR.

The Pacifica is a great looking ,"younger looking" person's car though than the LeSabre.
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    I previously had '99 & '01 300Ms that had only the one "Auto" button.
    I was always switching to manual to talk on the phone, listen to the radio, converse etc.
    I LOVE the 2 button feature and use it often.
  • mrus1mrus1 Posts: 5
    I have been having the flapping noise also. The Dealer thinks I am crazy. I have had it there twice and they never hear it when we take it for a test ride. Did the TSB listed above fix your problem? To make sure I have the same noise mine happens off and on especially once you hit a bump and the works itself out. You can hear it well at 30 -40 miles and on the freeway. Sounds like front passenger tire area. Any info a help!
    I had the noise, the dealer heard the noise, the dealer said there was a TSB for the noise, the dealer said they fixed the noise, the noise is still there! It has to go back!

I think that sums it up <G>!
  • grndefxgrndefx Posts: 4
    My Pacifica (Mid Blue AWD) is in the shop for loud A/C Blower noise. On recirc, it's like a jet landing, low output from vents... Also while I was there i check the windshield cowling and it had a missing screw as previously mentioned. I mentioned the fan shield problme, even though i havent actully had a problem, and she said it was becasue people parked too close to the curb stone and it gets caught. hmmm not usre about that one. Of course, picked up a great Mitsubishi Galant at Enterprise (as per the Service writer) "Chrysler only pays for midsize." Wife's car and she's not too happy. Traded a 2001 Tribute EX 4WD (which had a lot of production problems, fortunateley ours was in the shop only a few times over the 3 years we had it. Twice was cause she hit a bucket on the highway (Wheel sensors, etc). Pacifica definately tighter fit and better materials, just hope this is it's last visit to dealer. They sure are pushing the Pacifica Ads on TV too.

I'm also not thrilled with the seating. Had 6 adults (ok most will say you can only put kids back there), but my probem isn't with once your inside, its getting in and out. I first have to move the drivers seat forward to get the 2nd row to fold and give the 3rd row enough legroom. Its like you have to adjust every seat to get someone in. Its only rare that we have 6, but having three 21+ yr old kids. we like the flexability of taking 1 car. instead of 2, if we have 5 or 6 passengers (could never fit 5 comfortably in the Tribute - too tight in back seat. Looked at the Honda Pilot, too much of a box, like the Tribute.
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    "To make sure I have the same noise mine happens off and on especially once you hit a bump and the works itself out."
    BINGO!
    Same strange problem!
    You hit a sharp bump, and there is a dramatic increase in road noise. It goes away eventually, only to come back with the next sharp bump. Weird!
    Mine has a bad left front wheel bearing which may or may not be the culprit ... will know when they get the part to replace it.
  • mrus1mrus1 Posts: 5
    Glad to hear, well correct that, I am unhappy to hear others have similar increased road noise problems after hitting bumps but happy to know I am not alone. If anyone is able to solve the problem please let us know! Maybe if we stir the pot enough they will correct the problem. I am going to call the dealer about the TSB today!
  • sigmarisigmari Posts: 4
    My Pacifica has 3080 miles on it and I was just driving on the freeway when it just got loud.
    By the time I drove 12 miles into town it sounded like a jet taking off. Turns out the right passenger wheel bearings were bad. From other postings this sounds like a problem. I work for the auto industry and bad bearings at 3000 miles is unheard of.
  • WHAT is that ANNOYING clicking noise when you shift from drive to reverse (or reverse to drive) and move the vehicle slightly?
    I remember that there was a post re this. Does everyone experience this? Hope its not indicative of a problem..
  • Just picked one up and love it. Went through the car very thoroughly, and read the manual.

The only question I have is does the steering wheel lock? Mine doesn't, and I thought it was a manufacturing defect. However, I've been through the manual twice looking for anything referring to the steering wheel locking and found nothing. Did I overlook it?

It's just any new car I've ever had has had a locking steering wheel and I was annoyed (why, I guess it's what I'm used to) that the wheel didn't lock after shutting the car off and removing the key.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    clicking noise or whirring noise? Chrysler's trannies whirr. That's normal.
  • defintely a clicking noise. see msg 44, 45. seems to exist only at low speeds. and it's pretty loud & sharp...
  • maxmommaxmom Posts: 62
    I recognize what you're talking about as I have experienced the same thing. This may sound weird and over attentive, but after studying this sound for 3,000 miles, I have concluded that it comes from the minuscule shifting of the vehicle (under no acceleration) when changing into gear.

Getting more specific, I have decided that mine sounds like the tires adjusting against the concrete or pavement.

I'm sure there are those of you who will think this sounds crazy. Please don't post me back to offer that sentiment. You'll have to get in line.

I have had 3,000 problem-free miles. I still love the Pacifica and think we made the right choice.

I have yet to see only one other on the road while driving back south from a vacation in Chicago. My husband did see another, in a town about twenty five miles away, last week.
  • i'm not sure if the noise comes from the tires. it sounds more like something under the vehicle.
    in either case, i'm glad someone else has noticed this. i will ask the dealer - i plan to take it in next week to fix the ATS problem (msg 75-77, which is happening very reguarly now).

as an aside, i am still quite pleased with my choice. in toronto, i have seen only 3 others over the last few months and 3000 km of driving.
    if you talking about when you drive slowly in a tight turn and you have the AWD Pacifica that is probably the transmission adjusting ... that is why the 4WD vehicles that all wheels go at the same speed when engaged are not recommended for dry driving.. they say to only use the 4WD setting when not on dry pavement because in a turn the outside wheel have to turn faster the the inside wheels to make the turn and so in an AWD vehicle the transmission adjust to allow this
  • sigmarisigmari Posts: 4
    I thought the AWD Pacifica was always set to AWD and it just engaged when needed. Is there a switch to turn it on? Four wheel drive vehicles have a switch but AWD is different and I've never seen a switch on my Pacifica to turn AWD on or off.
  • maxmommaxmom Posts: 62
    That's not it. My Pacifica is FWD and this tiny, tiny click is when I engage into reverse or drive with my foot off the accelerator.

It is very slight and not a problem. I would never have mentioned it, but it sounded as if it might be the same thing kalathiparambi was hearing.
  • i hear the clicking noise that maxmom describes.
    i also hear a sharp clicking noise when accelerating slowly either in drive or reverse. it seems to go away at higher speeds. i think.

clueless, do you know if the transmission also 'adjusts' (as you mentioned) in the scenario i described above.. just curious.

also does anyone know when AWD is engaged. Does a light come on to indicate this?
    AWD is always on and usually like 80% front wheel and 20% rear until the wheels start slipping and the gear in the transaxel adjust to provide more power to the rear as this occurs or I think even between wheels. thats why I love AWD .. just drive and it takes care of everything.

Here is a link to Subarus Description of AWD: http://www.subaru.co.nz/AWD/awd_works.html

should give you an idea... not all work the same but close enough. So no it wouldnt be clicking if going straight the only time is if you are in a tight turn in a parking lot or other dry pavement where you may feel or hear the AWD haveing to make adjusments. Like turning sharply up and uphill driveway ...
  • Well, where do I start. First I must say that, overall, I really do love my 2004 "Inferno Red" AWD Pacifica. My particular vehicle has all the fun toys minus the DVD Screen, heated seats (don't really need them in Atlanta), and sunroof.

Carmax was offering outstanding deals on them in July and, after much hesitation about buying my first "American-sort-of" car in many years, I drank the Pacifica Punch. After the POS Nissan Exterra I had been driving since 2000, the Pacifica is a serious step-up in ride, options, and...of course PRICE! I have almost 5500 miles on it as of today and have gotten more looks, compliments, and "what is that?" while out and about than I ever had with any other vehicle.

That being said, I wish I read this message board before making my purchase, not to be swayed from buying the car, but to be more informed about all the "issues" that you folks have been writing about recently. I realize several, and in some cases dozens, of posts have been listed regarding the problems I am about to mention, but I will post my specific problems here anyway and invite any fellow Pacifica owners for feedback and/or possible solutions.

1st- At speeds above 65 I notice a significant amount of wind/road noise that seems to be coming from the driver side near the wheel well. I know all cars/SUV's have some amount of wind noise, but this seems to be more pronounced than normal. Has anyone had this problem and actually had it resolved to their satisfaction? Have any of "flapping noise" problems I've read about ever really been resolved?

2nd- Although the standard 6 speaker sound system has a really nice sound to it, I've noticed a distinct buzz coming from the front passenger speaker. Now, I know what a speaker sounds like when it's "blown" and this buzzing (on certain vocals or lower-frequency music) sounds like the speaker was either not installed "snug" enough or is beginning to go bad. I've read about how some owners have had speakers that sound like they are out of phase and/or buzz and I'm wondering if a speaker replacement has solved the problem for you?

3rd- My car has developed a weird clunk/rattle that seems to come from the front wheels or rack-and-pinion area when I am doing the following: turning the wheels semi-hard left/right at slow speed, going straight at low speed and then hitting the brake, or when I am backing up and turning the wheel left/right.
    At first I thought the brakes were grabbing, but now I am beginning to think something is loose or out-of-whack in the front wheels (sometimes I can even feel the "clunk/rattle" with my hand on the gear shift or steering wheel). Has anyone else had this problem, and were the TSB posts I read about the cause? If not, have any of you with a similar problem had it resolved?

Any help with the above issues would be much appreciated so I have some "Ammo" when I bring the car to the dealer tomorrow to address these items.

Some final observations...I too have experienced the "soft paint" issues and my brand new car had a few spots on the doors with "fish eyes" and swirls. Rather than have the dealer take care of them, I did it myself with Turtle Wax scratch/swirl remover and a power buffer.

The buffeting from driving with only the rear windows down is extreme in this vehicle. Although I know it is "normal" and my Exterra, CR-V, and RAV-4 all did the same thing...the Pacifica, however, is substantially more pronounced and will actually cause pain if going fast enough. I believe this stems from the sleek design of the Pacifica (more aerodynamic?) and can be minimized or eliminated by cracking one or both of the front windows until the buffeting disappears or has been reduced to an acceptable level.

Finally, Chrysler "5 star" shops, in my humble opinion, refers to what you see spinning in the eyes of mechanics/service managers when you ask them any specifics about the Pacifica. I was actually told by two "certified" dealer mechanics that my car was not due in for its first service until 6000 miles because "All Pacificas come from the factory with synthetic oil already in the engine." Needless to say, after doing my own research, I found that standard SAE-30 oil is what indeed comes in the Pacifica when it leaves the factory. However, I had them replace the 30 oil with synthetic after 4000 miles (thank goodness I didn’t wait until the 6000 like I was told) and as a bonus I seem to be getting 2-5 more mpg. My advice is to get a second or 3rd opinion from several "5-star" mechanics before you take anything as fact regarding Pacifica maintenance, labor, pricing, etc. Chrysler did a really poor job in rushing to get this car to market before bringing their mechanics/service advisors up to speed (and many still are not)!

Hopefully all of these "minor" issues will be taken care of and I will continue to enjoy my Pacifica. This weekend will be my first weekend towing the boat with the newly installed hitch and I’m curious how she will handle :o)
  • I had the "road noise after hitting a sharp bump" issue that developed into a "cho-cho" grinding noise from the left front wheel well, accompanied by the ABS warning light coming on intermittently.
    Today my (real) 5 Star replaced the left front wheel bearing and wheel speed sensor. So far so good; the true test will be an 800 mile round trip to Cincinnati later this week.
    Otherwise the 1st 10,000 miles has been uneventful and thoroughly satisfying.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    my RX300 hurts my ears when only rear windows are lowered.
This discussion has been closed.