Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Having trouble deciding whether to have the dealer search for an intermittent in-dash rattle (behind the center vents/CD/climate control cluster)?

Vibration/rattle is annoying - again, intermittent - but I worry about service pulling the dash apart.

When a test drove an XT before I got mine one of the test cars had a very pronounced and constant rattle from the same place - so am hoping maybe it is something known and easily remedied (tie down a loose cable etc).

Anyone had a dash rattle successfully eliminated?

This rattle is the only thing I dislike about this otherwise superb vehicle. The XT has converted me into a Subaru Zealot!

& thanks for the speedy hitch advice, juice!

srp
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Pulling the stereo surround out wasn't hard, but then again you risk creating more rattles than you'd resolve.

-juice
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I bought a Subaru OEM hitch ($180) and a Hollywood 3-bike rack. Installed everything myself. The setup works well.
  • Options
    The Hollywood rack fits 3 bikes and fits a 1.25" receiver? Cool.

-juice
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    I had the exact type of Dash Rattle, which took most of the new enjoyment experience away. Wire Harness es might be your exact problem. Most of the XT Wiring just lies on a plastic shelf, ready to become a Rattle. And hopefully no one will need to pull your Dash, EVER!
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    I have the Subaru/Yakima bike rack on my roof and while I'm happy with bike stowing functionality, I am very sorry that I put my money in this rather than a more cross-functional rack system. Had I invested in Yakima or Thule cross bars, I would have a much easier time switching out the bikes and using the same crossbars to mount my kayak, snowboard, etc. As it is, the Subaru bike rack doesn't swap out easy and particularly annoying is they don't "scootch" together and make room for another rack at the same time. :-(

Elissa
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ah, so that's why you carry your kayak in the Forester.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I had a rattle in the dash are of my XT for about a month after I picked it up. It went away before I took it to the dealer.

I have a UHaul hitch a Thule 3 bike rack. My roof rack is used for carrying surfboards or a cargo box. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    That would be the four piece take-apart kayak. Works nicely with a folding bicycles. Who needs roof racks?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's as opposed to the inflatable kayak. :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Oh those are junk - you have to come to Boise and I'll take you to the Aire factory :-)

Did we mention that the 2005 Photo Gallery for the Forester is up?

Steve, Host
  • Options
  • Options
    But like your rear seats, it's a split decision. This thread is starting to seem like a bridge we can't get off.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    and no i know they make them like skies i mean half length wise
  • Options
    Check Future Models, pics of the face-lifted Forester are up!

-juice
  • Options
    Is it hinged for Swamper? Here's the link:

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Steve, Host
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    So if the Forester came out in 2003, got a turbo in 2004, and is getting a facelift in 2006, when will they do the all new version? I find it hard to believe that they would facelift and come out with a new one the very next year. Maybe 2008?

Not that there is anything wrong with the current one, but I'm just curious.

It is a little different from Honda and Toyota which make very small changes during a run, but then come out with an all new version about every four years or so. By 2007, the Forester might be a little bit long in the tooth.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    should be the year for an all-new version.

Bob
  • Options
    Yep, Subaru is on a 5 year cycle, usually. They do the face-lift typically for the 4th year.

The WRX was an exception, they rushed the face-lift a year earlier. But even that car got most of the updates (interior, steering) for its 4th year.

-juice
  • Options
    jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I don't know, the pixs all look like previous year's stuff.
  • Options
    If you note the date on them, they are from '03. I guess the editors figured the changes were so slight they didn't need to put newer pics up.

Mostly I was trying to get back on topic a little after getting unhinged with Swampy. :-)

And after all that, I'm still confused over whether the XT Turbo has the split rear seat like a good Subaru should. I'm assuming it does....

Steve, Host
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    And after all that, I'm still confused over whether the XT Turbo has the split rear seat like a good Subaru should. I'm assuming it does....

Yep, my '04 F-XT has the split 60/40 folding rear seat, just like my '00 Outback did.

-Brian
  • Options
    i was trying to find a way to sit 4 and have REGULAR skis in my fxt lol. next thing i know i got a 9 ft kayak with only a driver...
  • Options
    xsailor8xsailor8 Member Posts: 3
    i believe wix makes an oil filter for the baja turbo and it is also sold under th NAPA name.
  • Options
    mst3kguymst3kguy Member Posts: 10
    Hi listers,

I own an '02 S+ Forester, auto tranny. I've been happy with it, but recently got a flyer in the mail, and a phone call from the local dealer, about a "promotion" going on, where they give you at least $14,000 for your '02 if it's dent-free and under 45K miles. I disregarded the flyer as mine has 47,500 miles and a few dents here and there. But when the salesperson called, who I did get a good deal from before, he said not to worry, we could get a deal going. So now I'm considering the XT w/ Premium package (dogs+kids=leather seats for quick cleanup!).

I'm not going to honor the used car manager with the ridiculous price he offered for my '02, but the salesperson can put me in an 05 XT, auto, premium, with armrest xtnsn, mudflaps, cargo tray (again, the dogs), compass/mirror, for $27,900, only thing left out is the 7% tax. From my research, that's pretty dang close to a good deal, where they get a couple % over invoice, but I still get a good price. Opinions?

2) i put boston acoustics in the rear passenger doors. Does anyone know if the '05 and '02 speakers in the rear door are the same size/interchangeable?

I do understand that the "upgrade" audio system that comes with the XT premium is "better" , but i'm also a stereo geek and i'd be a serious doubter that any OEM high grade speakers would be better than boston acoustics, and would like to move them to the '05 if possible.

3) with the forester turbo, do i need to let it cool down after driving, as is the practice with turbos (i guess, never owned one before)?

4) i don't like that the upgrade foresters are monotone, i like the two-tone of the base models. i especially hate that my red '02 bumper now has black scuffs on it-i'm assuming this is the paint from my bumper worn away, showing the black underneath, correct (as opposed to someone's black bumper rubbing and sticking onto my bumper)? for this reason, i'm shooting for a black XT. anyone else with the body-colored bumpers, other than black, have similar experiences? I'm not looking forward to the heat absorption of an all-black car, but figured I'd go with a dark window tint to help things (and must confess, it looks really cool in my mind).

Thanks!

DN

Cincinnati, OH

'02 S+
  • Options
    dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    Last weekend I and my wife tested a 2.5 XT MT (unfortunately FHI in Russia still offers the 2.5 XT with manual tranny only). So she found the clutch a bit tight for her leg. Maybe a FXT AT would fit better for a family if others will use it..
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You don't need to let the Forester turbo cool down before shutting the car off. There's a coolant reservoir right above the turbo that provides extended cooling after the engine is shut off. As the heat from the turbo boils the coolant right near it, it bubbles up, and cooler fluid from this reservoir trickles down. This continues until the temperature comes down enough to stop the boiling.
  • Options
    turfdawgturfdawg Member Posts: 1
    Just recently purchased a 05 XT.(First New Car) I am looking into replacing the stock air intake unit with a K&N Typhoon air intake System (69-8002TS). I know the more air the engine can get the better it will perform.

My question is what can I expect if I do replace it?

Can I expect better gas millage?

Will I void the factory warranty?

Are there any adverse effects to the turbo charge engine?

The part number from K&N is made to fit the 04 XT will it work with the 05 XT as well?

Finally, If anyone else has done it what are your experiences with the change? Good or Bad

Thanks

Jason

Northern NJ
  • Options
    What I'd suggest, to help cool the turbo, is simply to drive slowly for the last couple of blocks.

In the morning, also give it time to warm up before putting a load on the engine.

Really that's true for any car, only more so for a turbo.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    1) Is the $27,9k before rebates? FYI Fitz Auto mall is selling comparably equipped models for $2k UNDER invoice.

2) I can't guarantee it but the rear-door speaker openings should be the same.

3) Although it was a big concern 20 years ago, cool down periods don't seem to be nearly the same issue with today's turbo engines.

4) Black does look good but it's a PIA to keep clean ;-)

-Frank
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    $27,900 sounds kind of steep. I paid less than that for a loaded XT PP with all the little add ons and a trailer hitch in fall of '04, then I suffered some serious buyers remorse (about my deal, not about my car) as I saw the prices people were paying plunge as the newness of the XT wore off and as the new Outback and Legacy came out.
  • Options
    After running performance air filters since '98, I'm switching back to OEM. I've used an Amsoil foam filter in my FXT, former WRX and former Outback Sport (same size fit all three). I put a K&N panel filter in my wife's OB.

I feel that there has been a slight improvement in turbo spool up with the Amsoil in my FXT, but more dirt is getting into the engine. I've done a few used oil analysis' on my car and my wife's OB to back this up. Part of it could be that there is not a proper seal around the filter too.

No problems with the dealer. My dealer is sensible about things like that so YMMV. Adverse affects would be more dirt getting into your engine (and foam is supposed to filter better than cotton gauze).

-Dennis
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Don't feel bad. I paid $24,500 for a base XT with the only add on being an alarm. I bought right after I read the Car and Driver article when they were brand new on the market. Combine that with New England dealers that wouldn't negotiate and I paid too much!
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    ...got rid of my 2000 Forester S; got a 2005 Forester XT 5 speed with PP today. Just a hair over 24K. Deals are out there.

Michael
  • Options
    Sweet.

You're meeting Bob out in Baltimore, right? Have fun, I need to spend some time with my famliy, I forgot what they look like!

-juice
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Yes Juice, I did meet up with Bob. I got to the Subaru event just at 4 p.m. and saw Bob there. Subaru was nice enough to give out cool thermos styled coffee mugs. After the 15 minute speech from the paid model, everyone that was invited was allow total access to the Tribeca.

Have fun with your family...those strangers that reside in your house and eat all of your food!

Michael
  • Options
    jumper3jumper3 Member Posts: 9
    Helllooo, anyone still out there? Is it just my computer or have all new postings stopped since Feb 12? I've lurked on this forum for over a year and enjoyed the discussions(occasionally adding my 2cents)but am puzzled by the sudden vacuum. Send up a flare someone if I'm not all alone.
  • Options
    From someone over at nabisco (and cross-posted from the Future Models thread):

The subaru tech school informed our techs that they will have 6 speeds available for the new Forester AND legacy lineup for 2006.

I'll try and get more details...

STi versions?!?!?!

Bob
  • Options
    OK, new potential topic - some rumors say a 6 speed will be available in the Forester. If so the XT seems like the most likely candidate.

Funny thing is I expected a 5EAT first, maybe we'll get both?

-juice
  • Options
    when you hear rumors coming from the Subaru "Tech School," there's a pretty good chance they are true.

Bob
  • Options
    Your post came in as I was composing mine. hee hee

6 speed - does that mean a new model is coming? STi? They've sold in Japan before.

-juice
  • Options
    Is the 6-speed in any Subaru that's not an STi or limited edition?

Mmm, F-STi!
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=- 8310

-Dennis
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    Interesting.

Do they sell enough FXTs to make the Sti version worthwhile? I'll go with 6MT in the 'normal' FXT and Leg GT for a guess. Legacy Sti would sell better.

Extra top gear in the current FXT is OK, but I'd really like a higher 1st and 2nd, or better spacings....

JP
  • Options
    I'd expect totally new ratios and a new final drive.

I hope it's the STi 6 speed, that tranny is quite robust.

To answer the question above - yes, the JDM Legacy Spec B has a 6 speed tranny with the H6 engine, though you might call that a special edition as well.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I absolutely hope they don't bring the 6-speed or FSTi over here! No way am I ready to take a financial bath by trading in my 04 :-)

Oh by the way... we had an ice storm last month and I couldn't resist heading over to the local mall parking lot (empty of course) and letting er rip. You know those new car TV ads with the caption "professional driver on a closed course"? Well that could have been me. 4-wheel drifts with rooster tails from all four tires... YEEHAW! Of course at my next fill-up I registered my 2nd to worse mpg ever (the worst was on my very first tank which included lots of "spirited" driving). Oh well, small price to pay for some good fun and why have an FXT if you can't let the dogs out on occasion :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Oh crap. I was afraid they'd bring over an STI Forester. I wonder if they'll advertise the actual 300 horsepower if they do. If you can get one for less than the WRX STI and the performance is significantly better than the XT, I don't think I'd be able to resist. Even though I'd get killed on my 04. I have $500 in Subaru Bucks, maybe that will help defray the loss! Anyone interested in my babied low mileage XT?
  • Options
    This is an interesting quote in C&D:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=34&article_id=- 9164

"Of course, the XT’s solo status could change if the rumored 300-hp Forester STi becomes a reality."

I never knew the F-STi was a "rumor". I thought it has only been wishful thinking. I believe the F-STi is actually listed as 260 h.p.

Frank, that sounds like a blast! I need to get out and play too.

-Dennis
  • Options
    dtos01dtos01 Member Posts: 22
    Car conked out on the highway not too far from a gas station luckily... Is there anything I should have replaced/repaired when I take it in for my 7500 mile service? Thank you!
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Wasn't someone just complaining that no one was posting in this forum?

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about the next big thing. There's always something better down the pike - sometimes so soon that you kick yourself in the head for not waiting.

I know I'd never end up in a FSTi because it'd never be offered with an automatic. The '06 XTs will now come with Sportshift; the one thing I wanted in an XT that it didn't have when I bought my '05 last summer. To get it though I'd not only have to take a bath trading in my '05, I'd also have to take it with the "neither fish nor fowl" transition front clip and the fanboy (or is that "f4nb01 JDM m4d 7y73 y0"? I don't know) taillights. On top of that the Sportshift being offered isn't the 5EAT but the 4EAT, with no indication of changes in gearing.

So I've managed to convince myself that I wouldn't use Sportshift that much; 90% of my driving is commuting now and out of the other 10%, 90% of that is with family in tow, so how spirited can I get?

At any rate, my XT is now at 8800 miles. Switched to Mobil1 5W30 at 7500; haven't been sending out little samples for analysis as so many others have. I've seen some small improvement in fuel economy, now averaging 18+ mpg city, 21+ highway. There's still an annoying rattle in the instrument cluster that two trips to the dealer hasn't fixed, but that I can make go away either by grabbing hold of the cluster surround or pressing my right leg really hard against the center console (like a horse). Neither can be sustained for very long.

The winter highway salt, sand and gravel is already starting to make a prism out of my windshield. I had a full RockBlocker kit applied to the front end, but it's too bad there's no clear film that can be applied. Subies still have crappy windshield glass.

I'm also convinced that there's less room in the front footwells than in my old Forester. I only say this because my WeatherTech mats (which I bought for the SF) don't lay flat as they did in the older car. Rather, they curl up at the sides, and the driver's side mat covers the fuel filler door lever; now I'm always afraid I'll step on that and break it.

Beyond that the car has been a blast to drive, and most of the features are evolutionary and an improvement over the SF. I also must be one of the few who haven't had a problem with the automatic HVAC controls.

So there you have it - a bit of an ownership update combined with some rationalization on my part. I don't post here as often as I did but I still lurk a lot. I just don't have much time to be active here as I did, and I just don't feel like there's a lot I can add to the conversation these days when I do.

Ed
This discussion has been closed.