Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    i was a wannabe for years and was convinced the '05 legacy was what i needed, until we test drove the FXT and the LGT side-by-side. 10 months and 23,000 miles later, our FXT has had ZERO problems. The combination of great visibility from the drivers seat, nimble handling in the mountains and the rush when you hit the gas cant be matched by any other vehicle. The huge sunroof is the equivalent of driving a converible on a starry night! we have towed trailers, hauled bikes,dogs and kids, drove up and down a 1 mile steep, hairpin mountain driveway every day, and we are seriously thinking about buying a SECOND FXT! the new B9 is roomier, but for $12,000 more, its hard to imagine a vehicle more practical, fun and reliable for our family of 4 plus a large labrador. We got the Sienna Gold and love it....never looks dirty.
    Mark
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Cogratulations to all who just purchased your FXT. It's a great vehicles and you'll get lots of fun and performance out of it. The auto H/AC is probably the hardest thing to get use to (except for slowing down)in this vehicle. It tries very hard to be smarter than the driver and in the process outsmarts itself from time to time. It will take some time for you to find the right settings for your comfort. Some have given up and use it in manual mode. I leave it on auto most of the time and set the dial around 68 degrees in winter and around 70-72 in summer. You'll find that it goes thru cycles after you start the car. In winter it won't do much at first, then blast the windshield and finally blast the cabin. It tends to overshoot the mark and get too warm in winter so that's why I set the temp so low. At other times when it's a nice day out it blows air that's too cold (at least for my wife) from the dash vents so we shift to manual mode. Anyway, you'll have to figure out what works for you and try to outsmart it. It basically tries to reach the set temperatures too quickly and overshoots the mark, but the rest of the car is awesome and the H/AC doesn't bother me like it does others on this forum.
  • Options
    tacamojoetacamojoe Member Posts: 16
    Great advice!

I'll give it a shot. I'm really pleased with the car and anticipate a few years of enjoyment. This car is definitely worth the money spent, now I just have to get used to all of the controls, their locations, funtionality, etc.

I have to admit though, since I've brought it home it draws so much interest from my wife in kids, I'm a little sensative about them always wanting to jump into it. I want to keep it as clean and dent/scratch free as possible. My wife seems a little jealous since she still has a minivan. Funny, she didn't want the Forester due to it's smaller cabin, but now that I've brought it home it's the only car she wants to drive! I guess that I can't blame her though, the car is just too darn cool!

I'll have to wait a couple of years and get her the new B9...then it will be my turn to horn in on the newest car in the drive!!

Another Question: Does anybody on this list recommend a fuel additive for better performance or fuel economy? I was reading the owners manual and they said that there are many variations of premium gasoline to be aware of.

Any advice on fuels or additives would be appreciated!

Tacamojoe
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Does anybody on this list recommend a fuel additive for better performance or fuel economy?

I for one don't see the point. I've never had cause to complain about the performance of my FXT and any claims that a fuel additive will increase the fuel economy are dubious at best. IMO, fuel additives are best left to older cars while your brand new Forester should do just fine on most any premium gas.

-Frank
  • Options
    tacamojoetacamojoe Member Posts: 16
    Good Advice, thanks!

I've been looking at an Amsoil catalog and thought that I'd ask. Anticipating my first oil change (in another 2500 miles), I purchased a case of 0W-30 2000. I also bought a bottle of "engine flush." by Amsoil. I did this via Internet on a whim. The catalog touted 0W-30 as a great oil, replacing standard petroleum based 5W-30. As I consider the purchase, I'm second guessing it wondering if I shouldn't simply bring the car to the dealership for its first oil change. This goes against my grain a little bit since I should be able to do my own oil changes, but since this is a brand new car (currently undergoing break-in)I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to have the dealership do an oil analysis first to determine how the first 3000 miles held up.

When I bought the car, I bought two oil filters and one air filter anticipating DYI (do it yourself) oil changes.

The car is a dream. I'm still pinching myself and smiling all the way!

Tacamojoe
  • Options
    ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    how many miles are you guys using to break in your FXT's?
  • Options
    It's hard to determine if you got a good deal or not based on the figures you provided. Rather than base the deal on monthly payments, etc you need to break the transaction into its various parts. For example:

MSRP?
    What the dealer will sell you the vehicle for?
    Additional fees & taxes?
    What amount are you financing?
    What interest rate are you paying?
    What is the value of your trade in, if any?

That way you can compare the price paid for the car and the finance rates seperately. You don't have to get financing at the dealer. Might do better at a bank or credit union.
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    and i did not go over that by a mile before mashing the accelerator weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... refrain from spamming the boards. A single posting in the relevant discussion is adequate.

tidester, host
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The funny thing is that the most meaningful change for 06 is not the +20hp or the lift of the turn signals in the mirrors, but the revised gearing. Even funnier because we don't even know what the new gear ratios are!

-juice
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I'd just change the oil myself. The dealer isn't going to tell you how it's breaking in by looking at the waste oil that he drains out. It's a very easy car to change the oil on. Remember to use a new crush washer on the drain plug. Also I wouldn't be putting any synthetic in there YET. I'd wait a couple more oil changes before you do that. Regular 3W30 for now. Also don't pour that engine flush in there. That motors brand new, nothing to flush. Enjoy your new car. I'm loving mine. ;-)

Chuck
  • Options
    Hey Juice, I read somewhere that the change is from 4:44 to 4:11. That makes sense to me. XS & X manuals use a 4:11 & 4eats use a 4:44. Subaru has all the parts already in house. A no brainer for them. Why not the 6sd? That's the $50,000 question.

Chuck
  • Options
    STi's tranny is a very nice but surely an expensive piece.

Bean counters probably nixed that.

-juice
  • Options
    Doesn't the XT have a 4.77:1, something like that? It's geared very short.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think it's 4.44.

Bob
  • Options
    I used 1,000 miles for break in. It seemed to take forever.

Chuck
  • Options
    Isn't that for the XT auto? I thought the manual had really short gearing in the 4.7x range.

2004 brochure doesn't say.

-juice
  • Options
    Bob, you're on the money 4:44. That's one of the reasons the XT really scoots. Even with a 4:11 in there it'll be way quick.

Chuck
  • Options
    Acceleration should be about the same, the extra power will offset the taller gearing. Might be a smidgen slower 0-30 but that's about it.

I hope mileage improves. Though with higher compression don't even think about skimping on octane.

-juice
  • Options
    No the manual uses the same 4:44. Most people with manuals complain about the short first gear gearing. 4:11 will help that too. Seems like a decent fix. Longer first gear & less revs down the highway. It cost Subaru nothing to do, which makes those who count the beans happy. ;-)

Chuck
  • Options
    I think you're right Juice, should be a wash. Subaru is stating 6 second 0 to 60 times for the 06. More mileage would be good. Lord knows it needs it. I filled mine today & got 21.6 on the last tank. That's a big improvement over the mileage I have been getting 17 to 18 mpg. :-O

Chuck
  • Options
    Guess I shouldn't mention then that I got 26.8 on a trip to NC the week before last :p

-Frank
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    You can keep that Jerzee traffic all to yourself!
  • Options
    girlwhogolfsgirlwhogolfs Member Posts: 18
    I have had my XT for 2 weeks now. I see a ticket coming soon. I got an unheard of deal. XT Premium, Auto, Crystal Grey,brand new with 12 miles on it for are you ready... $23,874. (that included the $2,000 rebate from Subaru.) I had been looking at the XS premium since December and dealers giving me about this price for that model. When I saw this price, for this car, I said this is a no brainer! They told me at the dealership this is a "loser" car. I think it's because it hasn't snowed that much here this winter. Your loss is my huge fun gain. Even one of my friends at work who thought Subie's were frumpy changed his mind after driving my car. He could not believe the acceleration up the hills. I don't EVEN want to know had bad my gas mileage is going to be.
    Happy Driving!
    Girlwhogolfs.
  • Options
    I was thinking last night about why I get significantly better mpg on my trips to NC and realized it's because I don't take the interstate. When I drive 75 mph on the interstate I get about 24 mpg but when I drive 65 mph on rural hwys I get almost 27 mpg. So it should come as no surprise that the faster you drive the greater the mpg penalty for the Forester's boxy shape and high revs.

-Frank
  • Options
    Wow! Congratulations on the great deal. That's less than I paid for my regular manual XT. So with all the money you saved you can afford a few speeding tickets! :p

-Frank
  • Options
    Shhh, quiet, I feel bad enough already having about 80 fewer dyno-proven horses. Now you tell me you got better mileage than I did on my last trip? ;-)

Subaru says under 6 seconds, that's about the same as their estimate for the last one isn't it?

girlwhogolfs is wanted by the law for robbing that dealership. If we welcome her, is that aiding and abetting? LOL

-juice
  • Options
    Yeah but Juice, I don't haul everything but the kitchen sink when I take a trip :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    girlwhogolfs is wanted by the law for robbing that dealership.

Think of it as winning a lottery! But, of course, that carries the possible burden of hordes of forgotten friends and relatives coming out of the woodwork seeking to renew acquaintance ...! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    1stsubie11stsubie1 Member Posts: 4
    2005 XT Premium--$24,642 (before taxes--includes $1750 rebate)

Includes:
    Security System
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    Cargo Tray
    Rear Bumber Cover
  • Options
    I think we actually took the kitchen sink along with us this last time.

Actually I had a lawn mower on the roof. Really.

Next time? Gas grill. We look like the Griswalds.

-juice
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    "2005 XT Premium--$24,642 (before taxes--includes $1750 rebate"

Almost exactly what I paid for a base XT in June of 2003. Yep. That sounds like a good deal. Or, maybe I just got reamed!
  • Options
    Yeah but in 2003 there weren't any rebates :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    Look at what it would have cost you to rent a vehicle in the meantime, or even to pay for repairs on the old one if you traded in.

You can't look back and compare like that. You might have had a catastrophic tranny failure on the old car and been out $6 grand for all we know.

-juice
  • Options
    cmcguinnesscmcguinness Member Posts: 1
    Hi all--

Just picked up a 2005 FXT (not premium) for $24,900 out the door, 200 miles, in the SF Bay area, with the 2K rebate. I'm curious if folks think that was a decent deal - felt fine to me, and this discussion board has been a huge help in making the decision and getting comfortable with the process!

I've been driving it for 24 hours and I absolutely love it.

One thing - I suspect an XT needs a little extra love and care...if anyone can direct me to resources advising any maintenance I should be especially careful of, or if anyone has any tips, that would be super. Thanks!

cmc
  • Options
    1stsubie11stsubie1 Member Posts: 4
    I went ahead and closed the deal (which also included a VCP card which gives 6 free oil changes and a 10% discount off parts? or something--- although it does have a warranty the 6 free oil changes isn't bad)

2005 XT Premium--$24,642 (before taxes--includes $1750 rebate)

Includes:
    Security System
    Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass
    Cargo Tray
    Rear Bumber Cover
  • Options
    I put one of these on my car immediately. I don't know if it really helps, but it is one powerful magnet!

http://www.filtermag.com/
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I just bought some filters on-line from langstonspeed.com. It's my first on-line order from them, but I stopped there a couple of years ago during a trip to Pittsburgh. A lot of great people there.

Previously, I used allsubaru.com. No problems with them (Jamie Thomas a.k.a. SubieGal) was very helpful and quick when I had a problem. Went with langstonspeed this time to see if I could get it quicker.

I wouldn't bother with an analysis until you put on some more miles. Although a guy in TX had the factory oil analyzed and it sheared down to a 20 weight in under 2,000 miles.

-Dennis
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Not sure about the automatic, but the manual gear oil drain plug has a built-in magnet. :)

-Dennis
  • Options
    Congrats CMC on your new FXT! According to Subaru, the turbo doesn't require any special care or additional maintenance. Having said that, it certainly won't hurt to allow the engine to cool down some after a period of enthusiastic driving :)

Also, follow the recommended break-in schedule by staying below 4k rpm and varying your speeds for the first 1,000 miles. Other than those common sense tips, enjoy your FXT and get use to getting a goofy smile on your face every time you hit the accelerator :D

Almost forgot… regardless of whether you consider the Forester a tall wagon or a small SUV, it’s quite versatile and can carry a surprising amount of stuff. That it gets said stuff from point A to point B faster than most is just an added bonus!

-Frank
  • Options
    Congratulations. Hey 6 free oil changes will save you about $150. Here's wishing you many years of faithful service from your new Subie!

-Frank
  • Options
    "Not sure about the automatic, but the manual gear oil drain plug has a built-in magnet"

No, the filter mag goes on the oil fiter for engine break in.
  • Options
    '05 FXT, the car is well worth the car-buying saga. $22,500 after rebates/dealer incentive. Non-premium with minimal options. Looking forward to the break-in period. Man, that turbo engine. You guys are right, I won't be worried about the MPG for a while.
  • Options
    Cogratulations!! You'll really like this vehicle and you guys are getting great prices on the 05's - at least $2,000 better than those of us that bought the 04's. For that price nothing out there even comes close to providing the performance/utility that we get with the FXT. :)
  • Options
    Congrats. Just think, the average new car price is around $28k, look how much you got for so much less!

-juice
  • Options
    Still fighting to keep rpm below 4K :)

Surprises:
    - quieter than I thought
    - awesome visibility
    - better stereo than anticipated
    - decent shifting points on the AT
    - nimble handling despite higher riding height than the Camry

Disappointments:
    - useless compartments (in the roof, on the dash)
    - did not get the sunroof (wife wanted cloth instead of leather).

Indisputable:
    - Turbo
    - Turbo
    - Turbo

Did everyone get the oil change after 1000 miles? Any thoughts on synthetic vs. conventional?
  • Options
    Yeah, I changed my oil at 1000 miles and again at 3000 miles. Both with regular Havoline. I changed over to Amsoil synthetic 5W-30 at 6000 miles. Maybe it's overkill.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I think the F-XT is quieter than my '00 Outback it replaced as well.

I changed the oil at 3k and will be switching to 5w-30 M1 in the coming weeks (7k).

I got an aftermarket moonroof installed and love it! Best turbo bargain out there!

-Brian
  • Options
    The roof compartments fit a pair of sunglasses perfectly, FWIW.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.