Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru XT Turbo Forester

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My Outback was a used Anchorage car with the block heater already installed (and not used since I got it), but I don't thing putting them in is rocket science.

And I wouldn't worry about soaking the dealer; if you're like the rest of us, you left plenty of money on the table already. :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tacamojoetacamojoe Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Calgary! Your advice was great. What is RockBlocker 3M? Can I apply it myself? We decided on the Automatic since that's what my wife and I are already used to driving. A manual sounds fun, but unfamiliar. My wife just agreed with your comment about the dealer. Since I already wrote a 200.00 check as a down payment and signed a penciled "bottom line" until the finance department gets back to me (remember, their having to pick up the new FXT from Minneapolis), can I back out, recover the $200.00 and move on to another dealer? The sales manager was the "tough-guy", I actually liked my sales rep. He seemed kind of caught in the middle between me and the Edmunds report and his manager. His manager was the one that came over to the desk and began complaining that he would not make any money. Granted, I got the car for $1,450.00 under invoice, but he's soaking me on the block heater for $140.00 and Since I haven't seen the final contract yet, I'm leary of "hidden fees."
  • Options
    Can you say "50 BELOW"...haha! It gets that cold here. I have to plug my cars in almost every night here in Warroad, MN. The parking lots at work have post with outlets so employees can start their cars when the day is done. If we don't plug in we don't move around these parts. 20 and 30 below is normal December through February. It's still dipping below zero nearly every night, but the days are getting downright balmy (20's and 30's!)Now as for the Auto-Starter...do I have to have a Subaru Dealer install it?
  • Options
    I found this post pretty interesting since I live in Warroad, MN where winter runs October to April, snow is usually gone late April to early May.

I just ordered my first Subaru. It's an FXT Automatic.

Were you ever able to get answers regarding regular vs. premiun gas? Prices are around $2.20 per gallon right now.
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    3M is clear adhesive film cut to the exact dimensions of your car hood, mirrors, area around lights, etc. It is best applied when the vehicle is brand new, without chips etc. You CAN do it yourself but not advised. Beware the inflated dealer prices for this service. Call around car detail shops and get your dealer to match the price, or get close. It can be expensive, but it is IMO the best upgrade you can do on a new vehicle (we did tint, 3M and scotchguard on ours - all bundled with the dealer's price).

I cant help you further in your deliberations with the dealer, except I believe in developing a long term relationship with a dealership with a repair shop that has a good reputation, rather than squeezing the last dollar out of a place you do not feel comfortable. Having said all that, sounds like the usual sales game, nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe I'm just lucky, I have a great relationship with my dealer. I'm on my 3rd Subaru and I just tell them what I want to pay and we wait till the incentives/model year end/end month sales jitters come into line. All very friendly.

JP
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats on the new XT!

Stick with premium, you're getting premium performance!

Block heater is $23.36 plus shipping from 1stsubaruparts.com.

-juice
  • Options
    deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Welcome..Feel sure you will enjoy it. I have about
    18000 on mine-perfect so far. I too spend a lot of time in the cold country (Mi.-Canada border)
    I use a battery warmer in winter and have NO probs
    at -15-20 in starting. DO stay with 5w20 Oil tho

Let us hear from you in a month or so
    Deadeye Sends
  • Options
    travismcgeetravismcgee Member Posts: 1
    My 04 FXT exhibits a pronounced whistle at 80 mph that goes away around 85. My wife says it must be the nostril on the hood - hence we call it the nose whistle. Cracking a window eliminates the noise.

Is this feature common to all FXTs or am I just lucky? It usually keeps me from getting speeding tickets on the interstate so I used to think it was a plus; until last week when it failed to warn me about the cop behind me. Is there a way to eliminate it permanently?
  • Options
    Just drive 79 or 85+. :-)

Maybe try the hood deflector?

-juice
  • Options
    mike33mike33 Member Posts: 4
    Tacamojoe is an interesting handle. I used to fly TACAMO birds in the Navy a million years ago. Any connection?

Mike
  • Options
    mike33mike33 Member Posts: 4
    I just passed 1000 miles on my manual 05 XT and really enjoy its performance. Aside from installing an aftermarket turbo pressure gauge, is there any gouge to minimizing the turbo input? For example, RPM levels. I like to hold things down a bit in city driving.

Mike
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    just turn up the stereo
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    You might've been able to knock a few hundred more off the asking price but that's still a pretty good deal. I'd definintely put my foot down though if they try and get any "doc prep" type fees out of you. You should just be paying tax, tag & title costs.

Considering you live a very cold climate, you should think about getting a heavy duty battery before next winter.

-Frank
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there a way to eliminate it permanently?

Yes - don't drive so fast! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    By driving about slower, not only will you eliminate the whistling sound, but also the occasional siren sounds that tend to emanate from somewhere behind you!

Len
  • Options
    kev_xt_ownerkev_xt_owner Member Posts: 41
    No, no one else volunteered any choices regarding using regular gas in the winter.

I did use regular all through winter, but I live in Kansas, so it got colder than in other areas of the USA. I did notice the XT seemed less "peppy" but considering the road conditions [snow, ice, or simply wet], I didn't really have a need for all the power the turbo could provide.

I've since switched back to premium for the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons. I did notice the increased turbo power but not any real change in miles per gallon (I figure this might be due to increased use of the turbo in the warmer weather... :)

I wish Kansas offered an ethanol blend. That way the ethanol could absorb any water that might be in the gas tank.

Kevin
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    DO stay with 5w20 Oil tho

Generally speaking, a 5W20 will not help you any better at start-up than a 5W30 and you'll have less protection when the engine is warmed up.

IMO, I would run a 0W30 synthetic oil. Pumps better at start-up and is still a 30 weight when hot. Some 0W30's are actually thicker at operating temp. than 10W30's.

My 2 cents. :)

-Dennis
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Are fairly common. Going 80 won't get you pulled over, and while 85 is pushing it, you would have to be unlucky for a cop to ticket you, at least based on my experience.

Going more than 10 over in a 75 will bring the cops out, unlike mose areas with speed limits set at 65.

-B
  • Options
    tell u dont live in jerzee
  • Options
    Heck around here the speed limits are 55 until you get outside the metro area. Of course that doesn't stop everyone from still driving 75-85 (in bumper to bumper traffic no less).

-Frank
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Colorado 75
    Idaho 75
    Montana 75
    Nebraska 75
    Nevada 75
    North Dakota (75)
    Oklahoma (75)
    South Dakota 75
    Wyoming 75

Fifteen states have 70 mph limit.

Oklahoma is nice: Tickets for less than 10 over the limit are not reported

So is New Mexico: No points for speeding in rural areas

and Kansas: Speeding less than 80 in a 70 zone doesn't go on a driver's record

And to get back on topic, pulled up beside a red Forester XT over the weekend in my red LGT wagon. Driver and I kinda looked at each other and nodded. Was tempted to test the lower gearing and lighter weight of the FXT, but thought better of it. Would have been the vehicle I would be in if the LGT didn't arrive on the scene.

-B
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Big announcment tomorrow possible? I'm going in this weekend to see if there's an STI Forester on display.
  • Options
    Mike,

I was in VQ3, NAS Barbers Point Hawaii. Last Reel op on the EC-130's. Plankowner on the new E6A airframe before the squadron moved to Tinker AFB. 1988-1996 USN.

Great to see another brown shoe is chatting in here. Now I'll fly in a SUBARU! Taking Charge and Moving out! - tacamojoe!
  • Options
    I switched to another dealer on the other side of the state. They offered me a premium XT with crossbars, splashguards, armrest extensiion, all weather mats, and rear gargo net for 24878.00. The sales rep was a straight shooter and I felt comfortable right away. The other dealership has already deposited my $200.00. I'll try to get it back from them. In any case I got a better deal. With the money I saved on this premium, I can buy a real noce battery, a remote starter, and still take my wife for a sweet date!

I'll keep my eyes out for doc fee's when I pick the car up on Friday morning! Thanks for the tip.

Man...I can't wait!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I still have over two feet of snow in my yard, and the last time I drove out onto Lake of the woods (last weekend)the Ice was still 4 feet thick!!

I'll keep the premium vs. regular in mind!

Thanks!- Tacamojoe
  • Options
    Where do you (or anybody else on this list) buy your oil filters. I have a friend who's an Amsoil dealer, so I'll try the 0W30, but the XT oil filter may be harder to locate.

Any other service or additive advice?

Tacamo
  • Options
    ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    We're poised to make either the 2005 or 2006 FXT our new vehicle. But the wife is concerned over the "poor" mileage reported by some people regarding the XT.

I have seen a lot of posts of 14-15 mpg in mixed driving. Do people mind sharing what they are getting in 2005's?
  • Options
    tangerinedreamtangerinedream Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to you and everyone else who responded.

I am ready to make an offer on a XT premium and am nervous/excited as hell. I've done my homework and gained a little respect from the salesman. Maybe it's a cover and he thinks he'll snow me once we get the paperwork on the table. We've gotten to know each other during my four test drives (LOL)! Someone wrote about having a permanent smile once you drive it ... I'll probably look like the freakin' Joker! Asked him about upcoming XTs and he indicated there's one down the line that will do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, 300 hp. Can't wait that long (too bad!)...

Have to confess, I've looked at the VUEs for so long that I still feel a twang of indecision. I really like my 2001 L300 - I know the line was crap, but my car has been great. I always thought I'd have a VUE someday, and had almost missed the Forester because I was so stuck on getting a V6. The VUEs Honda engine IS nice. I just had no idea that I could get so much out of 4 cylinders!

I'll be OK once I get my XT, that is, until I start making a car payment again!!

Everyone wish me luck. I'll update you soon.

Kristin
  • Options
    There are a few owners who only avg mid teens but there are others who avg mid 20s. Driving styles, types of conditions, differing commutes, various gas formulations, weather, tire pressure, etc, all play a part in determining what type of mileage someone gets. The EPA estimates for the Forester are probably a pretty good barometer for what you can expect. So in mixed driving, the odds are that you'll avg around 20 mpg. With what you're driving now, how does the actual mpg compare to the EPA estimates? With the Forester you may get lucky like me (I've had 10 cars and have always managed to avg 2-3 mpg better than the EPA estimates) and do better but you may do worse. In any case, you buy a FXT for its performance advantage and smiles-per-mile factor. If getting good gas mileage is a major concern, you'll probably be better off in an XS or some other model.

-Frank
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...I would echo Frank's EPA words.......were the truth be known, EPA deflates Highway MPG by 20 per cent (government consumer confidence?)..

I routinely get 30-31 on my 28 EPA Highway rated V6......best, ez
  • Options
    If you read the EPA Regulations and Standards you'll see there is very little (i.e. none!) wiggle room in the numbers they publish.

tidester, host
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    My '04 FXT gets around 20 mpg in mixed everyday driving in the NC mountains and about 23 on longer trips. I tend to be easy on the throtle although it's fun to open it up every now and then. Remember it takes premium gas.
  • Options
    ezshift5 provided me with additional information on how the EPA "adjusts" the test results: Fuel economy and How vehicles are tested

Thanks, ez!

tidester, host
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    announced by Subaru on '06 XT in order to improve fuel economy? Where is Jack, he was right after all.

John
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    like a real screamer. Where is the 5EAT though?

John
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good question. He's been MIA for about a year now.

Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    * revised gearing (taller first?)
    * slight lift, to 7.9" clearance for turbo
    * nose and tail
    * center console/rear cup holder
    * rear arm rest

Looks good overall, though I was hoping for even more (Sportshift, 5 speeds, 17"s, VDC).

230hp from higher compression. If 210 on paper meant 240-250 on the dyno, I guess 230 means 250-260 on the dyno?

Bad thing about that is higher compression means octane becomes even more important, so forget about using anything but premium fuel on the 06+.

-juice
  • Options
    dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    juice,

With the "slight lift", Subaru didn't lower the roof to compensate (to keep the same overall height) did they? One of the things I like about my 2001 is I can raise the seat to its highest and still have lots of headroom.

--Dan
  • Options
    hoxhox Member Posts: 24
    Any news on a 6 speed manual version? It would make a world of difference both for rpms and gas mileage on the highway.

hox
  • Options
    None for 06. Guess all that talk of a 6-spd STi version was just rumors. Maybe for 07...

-Frank
  • Options
    I'll pick up my XT premium turbo tomorrow! $26000 loaded, about $3700 off sticker. I think I got a good deal. It will feel good not to have to think about all my research ... funny how I look at other vehicles on the road and know what their ratings are, etc. (My friends pick their cars based solely on looks and colors, so I'm a total freak to them.) I feel like a walking consumer reports junkie - I better not get the only Subaru lemon in existence!
  • Options
    a total freak because you will be smiling in your next fxt. the grin factor is huge.
  • Options
    Kristin,

I just came home from a dealership 250 miles away with my brand new FXT with Premium Package (SILVER!!)I wish the drive had been longer! I've been doing research as well, but the owners manual has the best information yet! I was up until 3am reading a manual!!! What's wrong with me anyway??? the car and the manual are well laid out (but at times the manual becomes redundant...okay VERY repetitive) and has a goldmine of information on all the switches, dials, and gadgets that come with the XT. The safety portion of the manual gets pretty drawn out but overall, this is one complex (in a good kind of way) machine!

The drive was awsome...I loaded up six of my favorite C.D.'s, switched on the heated seats, adjusted the seats and mirrors, and Jammed north on HWY 29 all the way to the Canadian Border! It was so AWESOME! This machine is the REAL DEAL!!
  • Options
    ll1ll1 Member Posts: 35
    We're going to try to sneak a peak at the 2006 at the upcoming local auto show!

Unsure if I like the new look of 2006. But the new improvements may be worth it? Any thoughts on the new features of 2006 vs 2005 FXT at presumably a discounted $?

-230hp turbo (higher compression)?
    -increased clearance
    -rear swaybar
    -new gearbox?
    -new suspension
    -17inch wheels??

will try to take some pics and keep everyone posted...
  • Options
    Last night a new FXT Premium became the newest addition to our family! As I drove out of the dealership in Moorhead, MN I felt a little dizzy...I was actually driving MY brand new FXT! I had over 250 miles to get acquainted. Man, we had fun!

I couldn't help but try out all the new gadgets along the way. It was 29 degrees (outside temp)but I couldn't resist turning the A.C. on just to make sure it worked. Imagine my panic when after pushing the A.C. switch and turning the two other dials from auto to manual, I felt nothing but luke warm, to warm air coming out of the ducts!

I tried different settings, the A.C. indicator was lit, but no A.C....none at all.

I then turned the temperature dial to 65 degrees...still, I couldn't get any cool let alone cold air. Finally I turned the dial counter clock wise, one click below the number 65 (to the blue dot...there! the fan began pumping cold air!

Can anybody on this list explain what's going on?

Granted, I certainly didn't need the cold air since it's still winter here, but I don't understand why, when selected, the A.C. doesn't want to work, even in manual mode without turning the temperature dial fully counterclockwise (to the blue dot.)

I suspect that everything is okay and that the car is smarter than the driver, but it was a little disconcerting.

Everything else worked flawlessly! I couldn't be happier with this purchase! What a car!
  • Options
    Kristin,

I imagine that your at the dealership right now going through the paperwork paces as I was doing yesterday. If so, your a little nervous and a whole lot excited to get away from the sales desk and on the road!

Let us know about your experience. Hope your having fun with the sweetest little wagon in the USA!
  • Options
    Can anybody on this list explain what's going on?

My first guess would be that the thermostat is functioning properly! :-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    Mine's white - I preferred the crystal gray, but none in inventory. Being practical, I went ahead with the white. That white exterior and black leather interior makes me think it looks a little like a StarWars stormtrooper!

I picked it up this morning, just before a line of thunderstorms came through. The streets were too wet to let 'er rip, so I'll have to wait for dry pavement (SIGH)...was more worried with getting home as damaging hail was being reported a little to the south! So, no BIG smiles yet - more like a self-satisfied smirk! Got home and got it in the garage, popped open a beer and sat in the driver's seat just fiddling with the controls for about 30 minutes! The kids finally found me, so that little bit of fun was over too!

I can't believe how worn out I feel - all that adrenaline, and now I'm fading fast!

Spring is definitely here in the south - everything is blooming and it will be utterly gorgeous in another month. I can't wait to drive with my moonroof open!! The XTs I test drove didn't have a moonroof, and the mini-monsoon today kept me from opening it, so I'm still waiting for that great first experience!

For me, the FXT is a great blend of practicality and fun. Not a bad price either. Like the commercial used to say... maybe a little more expensive, but I'm worth it!!!

Glad that you are enjoying your FXT too! Not sure that I would be fiddling with the AC on a 29 degree day (LOL) but the butt warmers are really nice even at 54 degrees here!

Have fun!!!!
  • Options
    papaya1040papaya1040 Member Posts: 26
    You get warm air cos you want the cabin temp to be 65 and the outside temp is 29, the A/C is lit does not mean it's on, it means the A/C is in ready mode.

I guess the blue dot is when you want to command the system to activate the A/C regardless of the outside temp and you should give credit to yourself discovering this secret, I never would have thought of that.

Give this a try, press and hold the A/C button till it blinks, do the same to the recir button. Now you are in full auto mode even after you turn off the engine, the only dial you have to adjust is the temp, leave the other two at auto and it works like a champ.

One more thing, the fan won't blow till the engine is warm-up, approx 1/3 of the temp gauge.

Pete

05 FXT PP 4EAT CGM
This discussion has been closed.