Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GS 300/GS 430

libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
I hope this car has better styling (like the new ES300 NOT the IS300), more passenger and trunk room, and more standard features.

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    you might be talking about a GS that infringes on the highly profitable LS market.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    The GS has a smaller trunk than the E Class, M45, and A6. It could use a little more leg and head room. And a few more standard features would be nice. Plus if they kept the same price, it would be in a different price range than the LS430.
  • 43810774381077 Member Posts: 31
    The current 430 is a good handling quick machine with perhaps the overall best interior I've seen. The ergonomics are great and that perforated leather makes you want to take a nap. Problem has always been the skin and the last revision served to make it uglier than its predecessor. Lexus should recruit a Mercedes designer or two.
  • ljohnson9ljohnson9 Member Posts: 7
    I am not fond of the 430 lines, but it seems many new cars are following this bubble look... I am hoping Lexus will switch to a more sculptured look and forget this aerodynamic stuff... and a 450 with 350hp would be nice.
  • 02hl02hl Member Posts: 8
    I've seen a picture of a high-end Japanese Toyota (Lexus in the U.S.) that the new GS is supposedly modeled after. The best way I can describe it is an Aston Martin DB7 with a smoothed over nose (where the trade-mark Aston grill is). I can't wait to see it myself. Lexus does a great job of letting its quality be its marketing, which includes spending more money to keep projects under secret.
  • susumususumu Member Posts: 4
    I hope you guys get some idea of 2005 GS. These are from Japanese Mags for new Aristo that is the name used in Japan.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ge8w-ngkw/mente/scoop.html
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    Thanks for the link.

I am confused. They look different from each other. So, which one is the new Aristo?

I can't read Japanese. But it seems to mention several engines, including 3.0L (260HP) and 3.5L (280HP). Where's the V8?
    Sorry, I should have explaind a little bit more. These are the pic. from different car mags in Japan. And they are mostly guessing and you will have a better idea when Tokyo Motor Show opens on Nov. 5. I liked the second one from top though. The word behind 3.5L is "Turbo" but I'm not sure that they will include that. Whether the 3.0 will go up to 3.3 or 3.5 that I don't know. Wait till the Tokyo Motor Show opens.
    I can't wait to see new GS.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Someone I know who works for the company emailed me this today:

Hey Jim,
    > Yah, I have been busy latley with the launch of the
    > refreshed LS430.
    > We were in Seattle last week and they showed off the
    > 2005 GS. Let's just
    > say it will be well worth the wait. That is one
    > nice assss car.
    > Very well thought out, There will be an AWD
    > version, not sure if the V6 or
    > the V8 gets it.
    > I have not heard any news of a hybrid
    > Sequoia/Tundra. But as time goes by
    > Toyota/Lexus will introduce hybrids into more and
    > more of the models.
    > So what's new with you???"

I emailed him with lots of questons and this was his reply:

"Hey Jim,

That pic you sent

http://www.autofiend.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&a- mp;a- mp;sid=96

is indeed a doctored up HPX. Doesn't look anything
    the new GS. The new GS is lower and longer. I don't know about power
    output or performance. I do know the base eng will be a V6. What
    struct
    me the most is how clean the car is styled and the interior of the
    vehicle
    as well. I would say the best looking Lexus or Toyota yet. Doesn't look
    like anything esle that Lexus or Toyota has come out with. Nice set of
    wheels as well. Lets just say I can't wait to get mine!!
    The hybrid RX was there as well. That has some performance as well.
    Faster that a BMW X5 V8 and gets 36mpg in the city."

Hopefully some pic's may surface now that the car is in the US.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    So when is the 05 GS supposed to hit the showrooms?
    Thanks.
  • 43810774381077 Member Posts: 31
    Assuming these photos/artist conceptions are accurate can someone talk to these guys about their wheels? Thought they had bottomed out with the SC but these appear worse.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota says it will unveil two Lexus concepts at the Tokyo Auto Show.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/03/1015a.html

Here's the information on the sedan Toyota will show:

LF-S (LEXUS Future-Sedan)
    The next-generation premium sedan LF-S embodies the Lexus brand’s new conception of luxury.
    V8 gasoline engine and high-output motor hybrid system 4WD (tentative)
    Length: 4,910mm; width: 1,895mm; height: 1,345; seats 5

Perhaps this confirms the direction of the new GS: 4WD and hybrid technology? Oh yeah, it looks like the concept SUV Lexus showed earlier this year.
  • mtmnetmtmnet Member Posts: 6
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/03/1015a.html

I will trading in my 2000 BMW 540! BMW screwed up the new 5 series.
    Mike
  • ethan777ethan777 Member Posts: 27
    last night i saw the 2005 Gs 430 on the road, i couldnt believe what i saw!!!!

i was in NY on I495. it was a black one first i couldnt figure out what car is that then i drove next to it then i was like what the... then i found out this morning it is 2005 gs 430.it looks big, but very nice.

i guess they were testing the car or somehting..
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    How do you know it's the 2005 GS? Does it look like any of those spy pictures? Thanks.
    first i saw the tail light and the huge L mark on the back of the car and i knew i never saw any other Lexus looks like that.Also that car has a curtain for hte back rear window.
    i am pretty sure it was the car b/c it looks just like the one post here.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/lexus/gs430/100284903/photos.h- tml?tid=edmunds.f.review.leftsidenav..2.Lexus*
    The pictures don't show the exhaust pipes in the rear....
    the pipes i saw on that car it has a rectangular exhaust on both saide goes under the car..kind looks like the Cayenne

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/porsche/cayenne/100342776/photoga- llery.html?pg_type=SUV&imgsrc=%2Fpictures%2FVEHICLE%2F2004%2F- Porsche%2F100342776%2F027859-T.jpg
    i mean looks like the cayenne trubo
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I mean no offense, but I do not believe you saw the new GS for two reasons. First, Lexus wants to keep this car top secret prior to its unveiling in January at the North American Auto Show. I find it very hard to believe Lexus has been driving this car around, knowing people may photograph it and ruin the January "surprise." Second, Lexus would never test a car over a year before it comes out with the "L" badge on the car. Heck, the RX 330 was spied filming a commercial only a month or so before its release and in between filming tape was placed over the "L" so nobody would see what it was. It only makes sense that you could not have seen the new GS.
  • ncg1ncg1 Member Posts: 2
    If the '05 GS looks anything like the LF-S concept or what has been on autospies.com, then sign me up. My guess is that the final production version will feature the over-the-cowl headlights that have been incorporated on all the new redesigns; very similar to what is on the SC only "meaner". I love the "bulldog" look that the vehicle has now, I'd hate to see them soften it too much to pick-up more female customers.
  • mrhupmobilemrhupmobile Member Posts: 10
    The 'LF-S' on the autospies site says that car is the future 'LS'. They show an artists drawing of what they say is the '05 GS and it is not like the LF-S. Looks like a Volvo/BMW car. I hope they are wrong!! If not, our current GS430 may be our last Lexus. Should know for sure at the Detroit Show.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    It has been announced that the next gen GS WILL debut at the NAIAS in Detroit. Wish I could go!

~alpha
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I wish I could go too!!

Wow, unveiling the GS before the Aristo!?! Amazing!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    There may not be another Aristo since Toyota is establishing Lexus in Japan.
    ahh yes good point..
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    to see the new GS. As another poster mentioned, the unveiling is supposed to take place at the NAIAS, in Detroit which kicks off the first week in January. Ought to be some authoritative info/pics soon afterwards....
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    for the new GS suggested that it was "more powerful" it will be interesting in the next couple of weeks, as we see the actual car in Detroit, whether this means more displacement (e.g. 4.7L, etc), or some other tweaks on the current 4.3L engine VVT on both intake/exhausts, BMW-like "valvetronic", etc.....
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    a boost from VVTi-L and Hybrid motors added to supply more power, particularlt to the AWD model.

HOPEFULLY, the V6 will come in with 250HP, the V8/Hybrid around 350.

A week from Tuesday, we'll know.

DrFill
  • hhyghhyg Member Posts: 2
    Any one knows if there will be manual transmissions available in new gs 300/430. Thanks
  • bugsydbugsyd Member Posts: 1
    Lexus should clearly make a statement that the 2005 GS is in a class of it's own. While I do not expect them to encroach on the crown jewel, "LS" that is. They cannot allow the RX,ES models to be deemed equal with options and performance of the GS. Keep the GS news coming!
  • smulansmulan Member Posts: 5
    2006 LEXUS GS pictures are available at www.wieck.com Go to Public and type in Lexus GS. Plenty of Pictures. Looks nice!!!
  • grimm01grimm01 Member Posts: 10
    I am a long time reader, first time poster.
    I am a bit disappointed in the new design. I think it resembles a Maxima. I was expecting something more sporty like the various spy pics floating around on the internet. I also think it has a lot of rear overhang like the new Solara, and that makes the wheels look smaller. I do like the look of the front and the interior.

I am not going to write off the car until I see it face to face. There is still plenty of time for it to grow on me.
    It doesn't all new to me. Interior is OK but exterior looks good old GS. Nothing's so new about.
    I, for one, am impressed. Yes, I do see a bit of Maxima in the C-pillar, however, most cars are starting to take cues from each other anyway. I think this newest iteration of the GS is very agressive looking, and far more visually cohesive than its competitor, the 5-series. I hope that in terms of NVH, handling, efficiency, acceleration, and luxury, that Lexus has seized the opportunity to trounce the once great 5-series. I'm sure others have noted that the previous version of the 5-series was a 10Best winner each year, yet this new version failed to make the cut. Hopefully Lexus will NEVER make the BMW mistake that is i-Drive.

~alpha

PS- I have not yet had a chance to read very much; is the new 245 hp 3.0 V6 a clean slate design? Or is it derived from an existing architecture? Also, good to see the GS is going from "VSC" to the less intrusive "VDM" (essentially VSC with enhanced capabilities).
    I like it. The side reminds me of my G35. 250HP from a 3.0!?! Wow! :)
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    Unlike some other models, I'll reserve judgement on this one until I see it on the road. It reminds me of the new BMW's in that my opinions on the looks vary dramatically from photo to photo to seeing the metal on the road (I thought the 5-series was disappointing in photos, but all the ones I've seeen on the roads have knocked my socks off).

The design certainly is more aggressive than the Lexus usual. I'm unhappy with the heavy rear end look which seems even more prominent than on the previous models. The cam-back (?) type of look. I personally prefer more of a standard sedan, but I can't deny that it looks like it's going about 100mph standing still.

Bret
    All I see is Maxima!

Where's the stick?

Where's the improvements to the V8?

Why doesn't the V8 have AWD?

What happened to the LF-S styling?

Why did it take EIGHT model years to come up with this?

Why should Mercedes and BMW be worried?

Why should I buy a 2006 (in 2005) over the current car? For 20 V6 HP?

This REEKS!!!

DrFill (DIP)
  • cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    Very ugly! What a huge disappointment. I had expected to give it serious consideration when the lease on my '03 Jaguar S-Type is up (7/05), but if it looks even half as bad in person as it does in the photos there's not a snowball's chance that I'll even be interested enough to test drive it.

What were those Lexus designers smoking when they came up with this dog?

Craig
    who do not like it, is not to buy one. If you're going to argue merits, thats a different story. But dont show up and [non-permissible content removed], when the car is many moons away from release.

Why should Mercedes and BMW be worried? Read the last 45K sedan comparo in Car and Driver, and read the January Car and Driver for the review of the new 5 series. Nobody on this board can speak to the improvements to engine, transmission, and suspension until AT LEAST the press has driven the car... if not until we all have...

Where is it stated that the V8 will not have AWD? Is that confirmed? That is not something I was aware of......

If this car is competitively priced, I see no reason why it can't be a very strong entry. Ya'll need to relax. If the iDrive BMW tickles your fancy, then protest Lexus by buying that hideous thing.

~alpha
    WHAT improvements to the V8?

Have you been to the Edmunds Auto Show section?
      There it states the V6 gets the AWD! The V8 is clearly seperated!

It's competitively priced NOW! What's the point if the car isn't significantly better?

Is is a sports sedan? Where's the stick? The A6 and 5 have one?

Is it gonna take sales from the E? Where is the heritage? The style (gone)?

What kind of buyer do they target?

Why should I get this over a 2004?

This is the darkest day in Lexus history!

DrFill (DIP)
  • bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    Calm down mi amigo....

Like alpha01 wrote, quite eloquently, I must say, this redo is months away from reality. Production doesn't begin until fall of '04, and we won't see it in the showrooms until early to mid 2005. Plenty could change b/w now and then. Lexus is being deliberately coy about the V8 engine. They do not want to trump their class leader, the LS, by announcing a bigger engine/option engine for the V8, or including the AWD on the V8. I am sure we'll hear more as days/weeks/months go by. As to the stick, me hope they do provide a stick option in the V8 if they are to be competitive. One can only hope ! IMO, the GS4 needs no less than 340bhp, and mated to a 6-speed stick, should do the low low 5s 0-60, and the mid 5s with the slush box 6-speed. That is what I am expecting the commercial version to be.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It's amazing the level of denial in here, they've already shown the finished car, but yet there are some saying to wait and see if they change it before next year. Oh, such wishful thinking. I didn't know a dissapointment could produce such a detachment from reality. The reality of it is that except for some possible engine changes for the V8 model, the styling is a done deal. Period. I seriously doubt the GS430 or whatever it's called will have a manual trans either, it won't be popular enough to make sense in a Lexus showroom.

Oh well so much for the so-called daring design of the show car, and Lexus' hopes of bringing a new (good looking) styling theme to the table. Good look if the next generation LS follows this look.

M
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find the pics of the interior?