Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Scion tC

Comments

• Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Tahlequah, Congratulations! Enjoy that puppy! Scion will make things right for you on the scratched panel. We got six yes six tC's in yesterday morning in just about all the colors that are available. The Flint mica is also quite interesting as the Black sand pearl. I had to take my sunglasses on and off a couple of times to distinguish between all the interesting hues the different color metal flakes in the paint provided. The Azure pearl is also quite nice! As I have said all along it makes the car look twice as expensive as it is. Some of my co-workers tell me that the Azure blue is a "chick" color. I say it's a "chick magnet" color.
                   : )
                 Mackabee
  • Options
    You might ask what on earth I'm doing posting at 2:53 am? Well, me and the Mrs. went out to dinner and I kind of over did it with the seafood platter. Got a terrible case of indigestion and couldn't sleep.
                  Mackabee

p.s. man those scallops and clams were good!
  • Options
    ocelotevaoceloteva Member Posts: 5
    Any idea where it's located? I've read reviews that talk about this being a neat feature, but I have no idea what they're referring to.

(Still waiting for mine to come in so haven't had a much time to explore the interior outside of the dealership)

Thanks.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Is it the little compartment in between the shifter and the cup holders (with the flip top lid)? I wasn't quite sure what it's purpose was (I'm using it as a coin holder, since I couldn't find another one).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Interested in the tC. So I came to this forum to get some info just like I have on other models. Here is what I have learned from this forum so far:

Stickguy-doesn't know what the compartment is for

Someone ate some seafood and doesn't feel good.

There is no manual for the stereo.

Here is what really matters, for those of you with the stick, how does it shift? How is off the line acceleration? how does the car handle? What rpm are you doing cruising at 80 on the highway? How is the head room/leg room. What's good, what's bad

My point is that there are probaly lots of people that have not driven the car yet and would really like to get some usefull feedback from those of you who have yours.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    There's always one.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...we're not sure what you'd do with it..replace the pads perhaps..

Guys got a point: data, input. Live with it...ez
  • Options
    Read the manual that came with your computer. Look up mouse, scroll wheel. Use it. There are 500+ posts in this thread, many of which have quite detailed reviews/comments from test drives, and us owners. Looks like you read the last 3 or 4 posts and that's it.

But, since you asked so nice, there is a manual for the stereo (separate from the regular owners manual). It shifts very nicely. Quick off the line, but since I haven't broken 200 miles yet I haven't really accelerated too hard, but it pulls strong even at modest RPMs. Good steering feel, nice tight handling. Headroom is not bad, but depends on how tall you are (and how high you sit). I'm 6' with a long torso (so I sit high), but I fit OK. Tons of leg room front and rear. 75 MPH is about 3,500 RPM, so 80 is about 3,750, but the engine is very smooth and quiet at 75, so you need to look at the tach to tell how fast it's turning.

Any other questions, just ask nicely. And I'll make sure to look in the owners manual tomorrow to see what the little cubby on the console is designed for.

• Options
    jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Thanks Stickguy,

Looks like a test drive is in order. If you could
    please post an occasional update. Are xenons a n option?
  • Options
    wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    most of your questions were asked and answered

The auto is a 4 speed, but doesnt feel like it, because the shift points were programmed to be "sporty", and revs at 3000 when going 70mph, but the insulation is good enough that the sound isnt an issue
  • Options
    hmmm... doesnt look like a very streamlined cellphone holder IMO, but is perfect for coins
  • Options
    tahlequahtahlequah Member Posts: 54
    Just an observation, jaydoll, but one would fair better with sugar than vinegar, here and in other forums.
  • Options
    I've put on a whopping 80 miles now and my first impression was the toughness in putting the stick in reverse. My 87 Celica is the same way but, since I am not its first owner, I thought it indigenous to the car.

I told a friend, also a huge Toyota enthusiast(and the first and only other owner of the '87 Celica), my concern with the reverse issue and was told that it's a product of the brand. They gave me a great hint, which is; put it in neutral, let off the clutch, depress the clutch again and then put it in reverse. It works great! Slips in easy as you please. hmmmmmmm curious........anyone else have this experience with their tc or other Toyotas?

Just so you know, I love my tc more every time I drive it! Not a single regret.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    and used to be the preferred method of shifting before synchros were added to gears, it's still used in racing.

Reverse gears are seldom equipped with synchro rings, 'tho Saab added it to reverse on their cars since you can't remove the key unless the shifter's in reverse.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    benevolence6gcbenevolence6gc Member Posts: 19
    sure sounds a lot like my 94 celica, a sporty two door coupe with a camry engine in there that isn't fast but has plenty of passing power, handles very well, gas milage is pretty good but nothing near great.
  • Options
    alphabassalphabass Member Posts: 9
    I just ordered my new auto flint mica tC with 6-disc changer and side airbags. However, my dealer told me that instead of the three week delivery window he initially promised, the car would arrive in 4-6 weeks. He said no flint mica tCs are shipping with the side airbag option, and that it would have to be built in Japan and then ship (and that if the Japan factory decides not to build one, that its tough luck for me). Has anyone else encountered similar problems? If you know where to find one quicker than 1 1/2 months, please let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    all Toyotas/Lexus/Scions have that charachteristic (sp) in their manual transmissions. Nothing to worry about. Just got off the phone with my son and he has over 1k miles on his tC! asked me if it was ok to let the engine rip. I said "now's the time son" call me and let me know how it does.
                             :)
                        Mackabee

Celica with more power, more room, and better looks! : )
  • Options
    That's a bunch of baloney! Find another dealer quick. There are plenty of tC's 5spd and automatics being shipped with the side/curtain airbags option. What area of the country are you in?
              :)
               Mackabee
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Mackabee. Sorry about entering the post twice, by the way. I am in Arkansas, so we are in the Gulf States region. My dealer said there were none at the port in Houston or elsewhere, and that they would search the rest of the country to see (and I have heard nothing back since). If you have any more info, please give it to me. Thanks!
  • Options
    AH! That's what double clutching is. I hate to sound stupid but I taught myself how to drive a stick (long story, I'll spare you) so I never had anyone teach me much of anything, and certainly not any nuances such as double clutching. I had never run into the need for it since I had only driven American models until I bought the 87 Celica. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining: I'll double clutch until the cows come home if it means I get to drive something of impeccable quality. Thanks for the confirmation(s), ya'll.

I washed the tc for the first time today and two things sprang to mind:

1. they put the VIN number on everything! There will be no chopping up and selling this car for parts without a whole lot of effort on the thief's part. GEEZ!

2. The black sand pearl is so luminescent that it's very mirror like. My neighbor noticed the new tc last night and asked if it was an "expensive" car. I laughed, gave the price, and watched the proverbial jaw hit the floor!

FAR OUT!
  • Options
    cwilkscwilks Member Posts: 12
    I wanted to ask to anyone about Scions pricing. I know they have a no haggle pricing. I am curious these cars must be selling like crazy, so to all those who have purchased this beaut, are you paying sticker, higher, or has anyone been able to negotiate a few dollars of the sticker price. Just asking. Thanks all.
  • Options
    deucedeuce Member Posts: 13
    Eight days ago I bought an azure pearl tC. I would have have to disagree with your co-workers on the color being for "chicks." Not at all. I get nothing but compliments on it. Besides, it doesn't get dirty as quickly as the darker colors. In some light it seems almost silver, and in other light bright azure. I remember seeing the azure on the scion website and hating the color, but seeing it in person really changed my mind!
  • Options
    I paid MSRP with no added extras, other than accessories I wanted (mats and wheel locks). There is really very little spread between sticker and invoice, and no holdback (according to the resident dealer), so not much room to haggle.

Scions are a little unique in that the dealer has to be upfront about the price, and anyone who walks in gets the same one, and it needs to be posted or advertised. So, it they want to give you a discount, they need to give it to the guy behind you also.

If it makes you feel better, I got my brand new 2005 model, first normal retail sale, hot off the truck, for about $800 oover invoice!

It seems that the Scion business model is to make the car itself dirt cheap, and make money selling relatively pricy options.

• Options
    I gave mine a quick wash yesterday (was doing the rest of the fleet, so decided to take the dust off). Must have rushed it, becasue this AM noticed it had dirt spots all over it. LOoks worse than before I did it, but thankfully the California car duster cleaned most of it off.

Supposed to rain tomorrow, which should take care of the rest!

• Options
    You mentioned getting 6 the other day. Just wondering how sales are going. Are they still moving pretty quick? Presales, or mostly to walk is that fall in love (or look at teh price)?

• Options
    macsimonemacsimone Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for a good commuter for the So Cal area. Drove the Mazda 3S yesterday and liked it but the way they price those things caused me to return home and do more homework. I was also going to drive the new Volvo S40 today, but while browsing through my August R&T I saw a pg on the TC. Went to dealership and test drove the TC. I've spent most of the afternoon reading all the comments from inception of this forum and I want to thank all for the education. Sent an email to my salesman and told him what I want in my TC. Hope the shipment they get this week has my car, if not I'm going to be making calls to all the Toyota/Scion dealers to find an Azure Blue, AT with side curtains. Since price is MSRP I may have a car buying service do the search. Again thanks for helping this 57 year old make up his mind.
  • Options
    I bought mine for sticker price, without negotiation. I still have not heard back anymore about shipping times, so if any of you have info about it, please update me. Once again, I am in the Gulf States region (Arkansas), and ordered an automatic flint mica with side/curtain airbags and 6-disc changer. I'm afraid this is starting to look like the 2004 Prius we ordered in November (and still haven't gotten). Thanks!
  • Options
    j42j42 Member Posts: 13
    is the question my friend asked the first time he rode in my tc. "$17500" after tax, title and everything. "thats it?," "yeah, what did you think?", "like $25000" "nope"

by the way, have 750miles so far and i don't think i could have bought a better car for the price. love it
  • Options
    You have a stick or AT? Curious to know what mileage you are getting (I still haven't had to fill up).

• Options
    No need to use a car buying service. Just go to Scion.com, configure the tC you want and e-mail your configuration to all the dealers listed in your area. I'm sure one of them will be happy to get one for you.
                Mackabee

Alphabass, just for reference here in Central Atlantic region we are getting 27 tC's this month with the side airbags. That's in the Flint mica color. More in the other colors, so the cars are out there.
  • Options
    I talked with my son yesterday. Has over 1000 miles on his tC now and said he's getting around 30-32 mpg highway. Not bad heh?
                  Mackabee
  • Options
    30+ highway would be OK by me, not that I do a lot of highway driving. I'm more interested in around town/local/short hop stuff, since that's mostly what I do. I'm hoping for about 25 combined, but I have a feeling it may be more like 23ish.

How are sales going? Seems like the pipeline is opening up a bit. Hope it stays the hot ticket (for selfish reasons!).

• Options
    Sales are going great! Seems like more people are becoming aware of the car now that the mainstream media (car and driver, motor trend, etc.) is writing about it and what a great deal it is for the money. The more I look at the white one the better I like it! : )
                  Mackabee
  • Options
    True that the tC sorta burst out into the mainstream all of a sudden. Outside of fanatic land (aka discussion rooms like this), I don't think many people knew this was coming. There are articles though in all the car mags this month, and I'm sure reviews in the papers will follow shortly. That, plus word of mouth and sightings, should really spur interest.

• Options
    j42j42 Member Posts: 13
    i have stick, in flint mica if you were wondering

i'm averaging about 26-27mpg overall in about 60%/40% highway/city, suburban driving, so pretty good. not the near 40 i had with a 2001 corolla, but this car is worth it, and its not terrible.
  • Options
    bizurkbizurk Member Posts: 4
    I dunno mackabee, I have a similar experience as alphabass. There were six flint mica sticks in the general (six state) area, I know because I looked at the printout. Unfortunately none of them had the side / curtain airbags. I have no idea how long my car will take, but the dealer took a deposit a week ago and he will call me on July 21st with a solid date; his estimate is that it will be before the end of august, but who the hell knows....

I think it will take about a month before everyone starts figuring out what exactly takes a long time and what is BS. Does anyone out there have a Flint Mica Stick with Side airbags?
  • Options
    for the performance we're getting, the 25mpg average is pretty awesome; I drove a 2001 Miata prior, and was averaging 27mpg, but that car's power and acceleration is not even close, and the 04 Corolla loaner car I had for 3 weeks was averaging 29mpg, but did not even come close in terms of handling and power
  • Options
    bizurkbizurk Member Posts: 4
    sorry mackabee, I didn't see your second post re: side-curtain airbags / late delivery for Flint Micas..... Is this a regional issue? ie- do I need to be in the central region to access those vehicles or could I try to link my dealer with whatever FM/stick/airbag vehicles are down there?
  • Options
    Same car as me (Flint Mica 5 speed). I should be getting gas the end of the week for the first time. If I could get 25 in my normal driving, it would be great. I was getting 19-21 on average (sometimes 22) with a 5 speed Maxima, so 25 on regular will be a nice boost.

I agree that the mileage isn't spectacular for a 4 cyl, but given the performance level (more like a V6), certainly fine

• Options
    cwilkscwilks Member Posts: 12
    Thanks stickyguy. I figured with not many available and gaining popularity for sure the price would go up, i guess not, I will have to wait in line though. Just wanted to check if anyone was negotiating price which I guess Scion doesn't do and I like, no one feels like they are not getting as good of a deal as the guy next to them. In my area the dealer has had 2 come through both sold. They said they would order me one though, doesn't do much good buying one before seeing or driving it. I will have to drive about an hour away to a dealer that has one on the lot, which is an automatic (which i don't want). Will call when some manuals come in. Thanks for all the good info everyone.
  • Options
    All dealers have the option of trading out of their region. What I mean by this is for example if the car I want is in the Los Angeles region which includes Oregon, Washington State, and California for example, and I'm out here all the way east, I can now do that. Some of these dealers have to get creative and I don't see them doing it to make sure the customer is taken care of. We have gone out of our region to get a vehicle for a customer. Just be persistent, it's your money. And anyway I can help let me know. I'm going to make my e-mail public in my profile.
                      Mackabee
  • Options
    Actually, my e-mail IS public right now!
                   ; )
                  Mackabee
  • Options
    To sum up in one response what I've read today;

I, too, paid sticker which, according to my dealer (who wasn't supposed to tell me but did because he's so inexperienced), was only $700 above invoice. However, they gave me a very, very impressive price on my trade. I ordered no accessories so the price stayed very reasonable and I was all for a no-haggle affair.

In response to those wondering about wait time; I waited six weeks! It's worth the wait, though. I encourage you to remain vigilant in your pursuit of true automotive happiness and exceptional quality.

As for finding a flint mica stick, as of Friday, there was one at Green's Toyota/scion of Lexington (Kentucky). However, it's got 18" wheels but I do believe it had the side airbags and stick. I'm not sure what region that is, sorry. I'm sure Mackabee knows though :-)

I've only got 117 miles on my tc so far so, no comment on the mpg. Best I can do is 117 mi at 1/4 of a tank!

I have a question of curiosity: am I the only one with a black tc on here so far? I love it, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure hoping I don't regret passing up the azure blue. And, stickguy, I hear ya - the dark colors make it tough to keep clean!

macsimone - CONGRATS! Welcome and let me say you made a great choice!
  • Options
    hc72hc72 Member Posts: 20
    I paid MSRP. No mark up. No sales tax in Oregon. $250 for tilte and 4 years registration. But the wait is killing me.

Went to the dealer last Friday. They had an automatic superwhite but I wanted the side/curtain airbags. So that is at least another 2-3 weeks wait.

Toyota might have missed on the side/curtain airbag thing. It seems that a lot of people are looking for them but they are only in limited production.

By the way, has anyone noticed the big ~1/4" gap between the nose and hood? Kind of un-usual for Toyota.
  • Options
    I think the apace is a style thing. Can't believe it was just an accident.

I actually go oogled (well, the car did) today. A guy (prob. 20 something) crossing the street in front of me yelled nice car, then asked how I liked it. Funniest thing was he asked me how I would compare it to the Mazda 3, which was the other car I seriously considered!

• Options
    Yes, the first thing I noticed was the gap. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Too, I walked behind the car while it was running - the exhaust note sounds "snorty". I assume that, too, is supposed to be that way, much like the 1/4" gap?
  • Options
    got gas tonight. Averaged 23 mpg on the first tank (not sure how full it was to start with). Mostly short hop around town, with a little local highway mixed in with some stop n go. Thought it would be slightly better, but may improve as it breaks in. Next weekend I should get a chance for a longer highway run, so can check MPG and see if the seats are comfy on a longer drive (I'm still trying to get used to the pronounced lumbar bump. Should have made it adjustable).

• Options
    deucedeuce Member Posts: 13
    I've filled my tank up twice, the first time I put 10 gallons exactly in the tank, and since I had driven about 270 miles to that point, I was averaging 27 mpg. I've only used a 1/4 tank since my last fill up, but i've driven about 100 miles, so I'm again averaging 27 mpg (75% city, 25% hwy) not bad!
  • Options
    jaysjays Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been underneath a tC to see if what, if anything, oil will drip on when the oil filter is removed for servicing (i.e., will a funnel directly underneath catch the drippings)?

Also, any thoughts on how easy/difficult it might be to keep the dash material clean; looks like the uneven surface might make it a pain.
This discussion has been closed.