Scion tC

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,243
    OK, someone who can finally answer the big question: What are the RPMs at 60 in 5th gear?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

not sure if this is the same review or a common theme, but the Det. news guy comments on anyone over 5'6" not having enough headroom. Others on here that have sat in it have commmented on having plenty of headroom up front. Did this guy just not adjust the seat down? Not a chance I'm fitting if hes right (I'm 6'0", but with a longish torso).

Really can't wait for the darned thing to show up so I can find out for myself.

What's the opinion from the (at least one) owners out there? ANyone who sat in one?

Gee35 - You sit in it? If you fit, I should!

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    The one I saw was locked up. I actually saw it on the road today. I like he car though. It looks like a good canvas for some serious mods. Kinda like a prev generation Civic hatch. The possibilities are endless.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 1
    I am hardly average at 5'6", 130 lbs but I can't find a comfortable adjustment to drive the car. It's not the headroom. There's plenty for even someone taller than me. It's the clutch placement and design. I test drove one at Marin Toyota (north of San Francisco)two weeks ago. Seat was comfortable. But clutch travel is way too long, too deep and a bit stiff (say compared to a RSX). As result I had to scoot the seat up forward to the point where my right leg is now cocked uncomfortably and the shifter is now too close to me with my elbow hitting the armrest. This may not matter to those taller and longer-legged but beware. Shifter is a also a bit rubbery say again compared to a Honda/Acura. Pretty car, great value and typical Toyota assembly quality. Hate the radio design with no buttons. Just turning volume up or down with those silly push buttons instead of a volume knob takes unnecessary seconds.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Well, it's Saturday morning and my son's tC is STILL not here. I am rather ticked at Toyota's/Scion "reserve inventory" system and "order system" I ordered a vehicle with side airbags, guess what? No side airbags on this pup, but the port did "conveniently" add the $145.00 floor mats. Whoopee! I hope this is not a sign of things to come with this brand. We have already received xB's that are not sold with rear spoilers on them. HUh? Not a happy camper right now.
                          : (
                          mackabee
  • j42j42 Member Posts: 13
    i still haven't had the chance to take it on the highway, but i'll be driving it about 240 miles tomorrow on the highway. so i'll have rpm stats for anyone interested soon, for 60, 65, 70, 75, and i'll try not to push it during the break in period. right now, i have a feeling that i wish it would have a 6th gear, but we'll see

and as for those concerned with headroom, like i said, i'm 5'10" and have enough head room up front. and the height adjustable seats help a lot, so most taller people should not have a problem. i agree with daddo that clutch travel is a little long, but it doesn't screw up my right leg at all.

another note, at first its difficult to judge how much distance i have front and back because of the slope of the front hood and sight lines, but i've found that i generally have more room than i originally thought.

clevelanders, the dealer, sunnyside scion/toyota, i worked with has pre sold 7 through july so far and they have an azure blue manual in the show room.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "No side airbags on this pup, but the port did "conveniently" add the $145.00 floor mats."

Can you explain to me what happens in this situation? Is the "port" allowed to do whatever they want? If the customer specifically states no options can they still sneak a few things in on the car? Floormats are no big deal since they can be sold to another customer down the line but can the port add, say a spoiler, when the customer didn't want it?

Also are you sure side airbags are already available? I've seen very little mention of the side airbags from Toyota so I'm thinking the first few months none might not be built with them at all.
    got a call today that my dealer has the first one on the ground (actually going to the GMs daughter) and offered to sit in it. Couldn't go since I am out of town, but should get into it on Monday. The dealer is going to keep it around for a few days for test sits and views.

Curious about the clutch. My maxima and Miata have fairly different clutch feels. I think you pretty much get used to what you got. The only car that ever really bothered me was a passat, but I suppose you would get used to that too.

Toyota did a survey and found that most people in the targeted demographic could care less about SAB's, so they may not build many if any.
    finally saw one in person (from the outside, since it was locked). It was even the Flint mica color I ordered. Overall, real sharp looking, and the color is very nice. The front seats looked to have a fairly long coushion (which is a plus), and tons of leg room in the back (but I coldn't tell how far up the front seats were). Rear head room looked fine for kids.

COuldn't really tell much lese out the interior, but the roof looked sharp, and should help the interior be nice and bright.

Have to make a run down tomorrow when they are open to take a test sit. I can at least check headroom, but can't try out the clutch/shifter placement, since the one they have is an AT.

If it passes the headroom/seat fit test, I don't expect the clutch/shifter to be an issue, so I can be in mine by the end of the week.

Actually, there is a short shift kit available (or pending) for anyone who finds the shift throws too long. Not sure if it improves the accuracy (vagueness) though, not having ever experienced one.

Well, got to sit in one today (an AT). Actually had enough headroom, even with the seat adjusted a few different ways. Wouldn't want to wear a cowboy hat, but my hair didn't hit (and I tend to sit "tall" and have had other cars that just wouldn't work). I even fit OK in the back seat. Tons of leg room, although my head was sorta up into the rear window area. Again, shorter folks (such as my kids) should have plenty of room.

Quite easy to get in/out of the back, especialy with the memory seat. Belts don't get in the way. 2 doors are actually much better with manual seats, since power ones tend to be painfully slow.

Trunk isn't particularly big (or deep), but looks like a golf bag will fit with the panel in place. Lots of room with one or both sides of the rear seat folded. Wouldn't want to take a family of 4 on vacation with it, but for around town use, s/b fine, and more than fine if you don't have rear passengers.

Dual roof was neat, certainly brought more light into the cabin. Features and controls seemed efficient and well laid out. Radio controls were OK, the vol. up/back buttons fell right to finger, so not having a knob shouldn't be an issue.

One concern is that the huge dead pedal intruded on the foot well a bit. Not an issue on the AT, but seems like it would hang up the left foot using a clutch. WOnder if it is smaller on the manual versions?

Fit and finish was excellent. Really felt like a more expensive car. Not big by any means, but still looks/feels substantial.

Now, just need them to get "mine" down from the port so I can test drive and see how the clutch/shifter work. Based on the test fit/crawl over, I'll still go ahead and get it unless there is a problem with sing the clutch.

Also, seats were pretty comfy. Fairly substantial lumbar bulge (not adjustable), but felt like it was in the right place.

I still think for the money this car will do well. The one I scoped out was AT, with mats and the 6 CD, and still only stickered at about 17.8K.

Oh, there's plenty of them coming with the side airbags. I found a memo on dealer daily today that explains why I'm not getting the side airbags on mine. It just happens that I'm getting the first car and it happens to be the Silver streak that I "ordered" and every dealership is also getting theirs with only the floor mats and/or single or 6 cd changer. No changes are allowed. Why they don't explain. So pretty much if you are lucky enough to get the first one you don't have a choice of getting the side bags. This was just an option that I wanted for my son and his young family.
                    : )
                    Mackabee
  • tahlequahtahlequah Member Posts: 54
    Here's a story for ya - I put down the deposit Memorial Day weekend. I was told this past Friday to come in and do the paperwork since the manifest had my car, which had shipped out of Chicago two days earlier, listed as "in Lexington" (that's where the dealership is). By 7:30 Friday night, no car but they clarified and said it was "on rail in Lexington". hmmmmmm

Saturday comes and goes, no car. Of course Sunday is a free day.

After lunch today I call to ask the whereabouts of car. The dealer tells me the manifest now lists the car as "on the ground" but still not at the dealership. hmmmmmm

By dinner time tonight, I call back because I'm doing a trade-in but I still have the old car whose payment is due TODAY! As you might imagine, I'm getting nervous - I frown on late payments. The dealer says, "Yeah, we've paid off your car, don't worry about that. And I found out where your car (tc) is. It's still in port in Seattle."

This after he already screwed up the paperwork! I had been in contact with the original salesman and had added a couple of options. When we finally had all the paperwork filled out and signed, I noticed something odd and said, "So this car is going to have x,y,&z, right?" Turns out the original salesman didn't pass on my desires to the salesman that actually did all the work. Whatever, I said to myself, I didn't need all that stuff anyway.....but then today happened!

So, the story goes that the car is being sent to Chicago (again?) and will be express shipped directly to Lexington upon arrival and that final date won't be before July 8!

Thank God the guy screwed up what I REALLY wanted....who knows how long it would be. But I'm curious to know, if that guy said the car was on the ground to the dealership and it really wasn't, then what was he looking at on the manifest to make him think that? Or was he just pulling my leg all along?

Sincerely bummed out
  • getbent56getbent56 Member Posts: 2
    I managed to take a manual, black cherry-pearl tC out for a 30 mile test drive this morning. Here's my two-cents:

The build quality of the tC is excellent. The fit and finish is great, with the body panel gaps minimal for a car outside of the tC's price range. Cabin noise is very low, even at highway speeds. There was a slight rattle coming from lower left of the driver side foot-well (near the fuse panel). The doors and hatch have a very solid feel when they are closed. The buttons and knobs have a good feel as well, but I worry that the radio "cover" could be easily broken. The panoramic sunroof is SWEET!

The interior was pretty good, and the level of comfort the seats provided surprised me. I'm 5'8", and there was plenty of room for me in both the front and back seats, although my head was pretty close to the rear window while in the back. The middle armrest was a little too far back for me to comfortably lean on, but it was still useable (in other words, it wouldn't stop me from buying the car). The door armrests are also in good locations in terms of ergonomics. Getting in and out of the back seat was fairly easy. The seatbelts for the front seat were placed a little awkwardly, but it's probably something I'd get used to after a while. The gages were easy to read, and I wouldn't mind having one for oil pressure. I'm not sure if I could fit my golf clubs in this car without folding down the rear seats...I guess I should have brought them with me and tried it out. The car "fit" me very well.

The ride is very smooth, but not plush. The tC easily maintained 50+mph on a small radius on-ramp without a hint of tire squeal or TOO much body roll. The suspension was able to absorb most of our numerous potholes, and the steering always felt dialed in. During launch, the suspension was able to keep the nose fairly planted without too much fore-aft movement.

The engine sounds and feels like a 4-cylinder, although engine noise is really minimal under 3,000 rpm. That said, the car is very quick off the line, and is fast enough to get one into trouble. Maneuvering through traffic was a breeze, with the 5-speed doing a great job at keeping the engine in its torque band. I saw 3500 RPM at 80 mph in 5th gear. A 6th gear would be a welcome addition for those of us who live in states where traffic moves at 70+ in the slow lane, and the engine feels like it would be screaming after breaking the triple digit barrier (not that anyone would drive that fast anyway...>) ) Although the clutch travel was long, I found the clutch was fully disengaged about halfway through the pedal travel, so I was able to back away from the steering wheel somewhat.

I only have one complaint, and it really isn't about the car. The sounds system needs an upgrade. The standard bass, treble, balance, and fade adjustments are available, but the adjustments are coarse. The tweeters work well, and there is a whole lot of treble, but even at the highest bass setting (5), I had to STRAIN to even make out a small rumble. I realize that I am nit picking, but I really enjoy a deep, rich sound. My musical tastes run from classical and jazz to house and techno, and the tC's sound system just seemed to bypass the entire lower half of the sound spectrum.

Last but definitely not least, the car looks classy. To me, it looks like a cross between a Lexus IS-300 and a BMW 6 Series. I’ll call it refined aggressiveness. The lines are great and everything flows together. Adding the rear spoiler will definitely add a nice touch to rear of the car. This car definitely got its share of admiring glances.

So, after all is said and done, this is an excellent car. In terms of bang for the buck, I don’t think it can be beat. If you’re in the market for a 2-door coupe under 20G’s, this is the car for you!
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    What makes this car better than the RSX, Si, or Celica GT? I haven't driven one, but since you say it is the the best 2-door coupe under 20,000 - I'm curious what you think.
    So i've taken my new tc (5M) on a 250 mile highway cruise down I71 in ohio (for anyone in the area). so heres my breakdown of the rpms at different speeds i got on the highway.
    mph rpm
    60 2700
    65 3000
    70 3200
    75 3400
    80 3600
    so these are kind of high rpms for this car and engine together, but the good thing about the gearing is that if you need to pass or merge, or just feel like speeding up for fun, power is immediate. and i do agree that a 6th gear would be nice. for those people getting an automatic, i've read that the automatic gearing is tuned closer to that of a normal camry. but back to people that prefer a manual, i like how the gearing is set up.

also, i haven't used a full tank yet, but with about 280 highway miles so far, and about 60 city miles, i've gone through about 3/4 of my gas tank. so by my estimates, on this first tank i should average in the low 30s mpg for gas mileage. i'll have to see how that does long term. but pretty good so far.

so with my 340 miles so far, i absolutely love this car. from the sparkling flint mica paint on an athletic yet elegent contoured body, to the glass roof, the seats and its versatility, i think its the perfect car (for me at least).

(also, for people financing, i was told this would be the last year for the $400 college student discount, for anyone whos graduated within the last 2 years)
    how is the room in the footwell for using the clutch? It seemed kinda tight on the AT model I sat in. With the manual, is the deadpedal less intrusive, or do you have to shift your legs to the right to use the pedals?

This would be much easier if I could just test drive a stick model to see how it really works.

Also, anyone willing to try the golf bag test?

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Well, my celica GT-S does 75 mph at around 3500 rpm in 6th gear, so I guess the tc's 5th is not too far off. The gears are just spread out a bit more.
    a deep overdrive (cruising) 6th gear would be perfect for highway loafing. Overall, looks like 5th gear is about 10% short from where it could have been, while still maintaining good punch w/o downshifting but with better Mpg (and quieter too).

No where near as buzzy as my Miata though. Not really much different than my Maxima either (maybe 1-200 RPM higher.\

If the car is quiet (road noise, etc) and the engine isn't making itself heard, you really only notice the RPM by looking at the tach (and when you fill up the tank). With the Maxima, if the radio is on and the roof open, I can't even hear the engine on the highway.

I normally never travel very far in my car though (use the family van for trips). Maybe 1-2 2 hour runs a year, otherwise mostly local, so not really an issue.

Someone dropped the ball on your car bigtime. There are three codes that appear on the dealerships inventory lists that come from Toyota/Scion. These codes are A,F,and G. A vehicle on a status means it has been allocated to that particular dealership and production is slated to begin on xxxxxx. F code means the vehicle has been built and shipped to the processing facility (port) and is in transit. G means ground status and means the vehicle has been released to the trucking company for delivery to the store and should be there in a few days. Normally a vehicle arrives at the dealership 2 to 3 days after it goes to G status. My son's car went to ground status last Thursday, I expected the car would be in yesterday. It wasn't. We got a truckload of Toyotas in this morning, still no tC. If it's not in later today I'm calling the port to find where this trucker dude is. I called the GM of one of our competing dealerships and their tC is in the same "boat" so to speak. It's very frustrating since it's holding up my son and his family. They are both active duty Air Force and still have to stop at her mom's house then head down to Florida for their new duty station. Keep your fingers crossed.
                     Mackabee
  • raven70raven70 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership here in North Texas finally got their demo. I called as it was being taken off the truck. He wasn't sure what it was yet. I will finally get to test drive in the morning! Hopefully it's a manual.
    saw the only unit at another local dealer today. happened to be the blue which I was origanally trying to get. Not bad looking, but not really what I wanted, so I'm actually happy with the Flint Mica. This one happened to be an AT also. Not sure if I could drive it, since I didn't talk to a salesperson. But, after sitting in this one, it is starting to grow on me. I think it is big enough to work for what I need, as long as the fun quotient is high enough.

Finally realized what this car should be compared to: the Mini. Maybe it's the panaramic moonroof, but the concept is the same, except the tC has enough room for passengers (and some cargo), and costs less (MiniS performance for a strippo base Mini price, plus Toyota relaibility and a dealer on every conrner).

So, your son's tc said G on Thursday? According to my dealer, that's when mine was first reported "on the ground". Coincidence? At any rate, I hope your son's tc shows soon!

Keeping with the subject; they gave me a VIN for my tc (they had to have it for the paperwork, after all). This was before they figured out where it actually was. I asked whose VIN actually ended up on my paperwork when they told me about the mess-up. They told me it's the VIN for the car that's still in Seattle. Does that make sense? I guess I just don't understand how you could pull the correct VIN but not the correct location. Not to mention that they swore to me my trade-in has been "taken care of" i.e. paid off, but then said to me, "It's okay, you've got a 30 day grace period before it would show up on your credit report anyway." If the car is paid off, why would I worry about that? It all makes me nervous and any advice is more than welcome!
    a golf bag does fit in the trunk under the trunk cover. but ts tricky to maneuver in if you have a longer driver or woods. but once in, it fits perfectly diagonnaly. without the cover you could easily fit two medium sized bags in without folding the seats down or limiting rear visibility.
    Well, that's a relief. I was starting to worry that I would have a problem not getting something bigger. But, I like to worry about these things.

• deucedeuce Member Posts: 13
    If you live in the DC area, there is a Scion/Toyota Dealership called Jim Coleman Scion in Bethesda that has a scion you can test drive. Fortunately, or unfortunately (depends who you ask), it's an automatic.
    Your vehicle won't be paid off until a few days after you take delivery of your tC. There is not a complete deal there until you take possesion of the car and all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. Well our tC FINALLY showed up yesterday! Man I tell you! I'm a Toyota man all the way, even my underwear says Toyota. This is one sweet automobile! And for the price? Unbelievable! My boy was the happiest person on the planet yesterday when he drove off in his first new car. The second one came in later in the afternoon and is about to be driven off by another lucky young man as I write this. All's well that ends well.
                        Mackabee
    p.s. I did drive the car last night for a very short period of time. 10 miles roughly, most city driving. This car has lots of low end torque. Very nice tight steering, reminds me somewhat of my gen1 MR2. Seat is very comfortable, plenty of side support in the thighs and upper torso. Some have complained about noise. This car is not much noisier then the current Camry which is very quiet. I avoided quick starts as we want to break this car in properly, although at times I did punch the accelerator a few times.
                           Mackabee
    what is your opinion of the clutch? I'm trying to figure out what to compare it to, based on these comments about long travel but stiff.

Checked with my salesperson today. Supposed to be moving to "freight" status (I think). He thought it could be on a truck by tomorrow, and arrive in 2-3 days, so maybe Saturday, slim chance Friday, possibly Monday. Or maybe it's really in Seattle ;-)

I will believe it is coming when it is on the lot. The salesguy also promised that no one other than the mechanic who PDIs it will drive it before me.

Hope this was worth the wait after all this time. I'll be bummed if it turns out I don't like it once I finally get to drive it.

Your tc is hanging out with my tc at Starbucks' corporate headquarters drinking a tall latte and laughing about how we're all sweatin' with anticipation! But seriously, if your tc (and mine for that matter) drives like the demo I took for a spin, neither of us will be disappointed and the wait will have been worth it. Of course I say that knowing that my trade-in is now past due on its payment because somebody at the dealership screwed up and my new broom is on the west coast basking in the sun! With this long weekend coming, I've got half a mind to fly out and drive it from the port myself!....if only......

Mack, any recourse for me if they make another mistake and the late payment lands on my credit report?
    If a NCBR gets on your report there is really no way you can remove it. From our standpoint, you know you owe the payment and even though you don't possess the car, you DO still have the contract that states you were going to make that payment. Such as if you total a car without GAP insurance. Even though the insurance company paid what they were going to pay, you will still be responsible for any balance owed.
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    Wow, these things are hot here in Atlanta. The minute 1 comes off the truck at World Toyota, it's gone that same day. Purchased mine within 15 minutes of its arrival (told the salesperson to call me as soon as it arrived and I was there). They dont have any in stock to serve as a demo.

Now for the first impressions. My other car is a '02 BMW 330Ci, and 'no' the tC isn't better, but it is definitely 85% of the driving experience for less than half the price. My wife is a realtor, and I thought it best to get her a beater like the tC, rather than have her beat our bimmer into 100,000 mile submission before it turns 3 years.

Anyhow, the car is definitely fun. It holds the road and corners very well, and those 17" rims sure make a difference. The car also feels more "tossable" than it looks. I was surprised at how much torque was available on this 4 banger when I accelerate out of a turn going up a slight incline. I seriously cant imagine a better alternative for 17K, with this combination of killer looks, driving ability, and standard features.

And finally, first time I've seen pedestrians turn their heads to look and stare in admiration at a $17,000 car.

Love this car. An instant classic. I'd love to see this car take on the soon to be released BMW 2 series coupe or the turbo version tC take on the Celica and RSX, in the $20,000 coupe shootout.
    I live in Atlanta too. I went to see one at Cobb County Toyota and they wouldn't even let people sit in the car. I did see the new owners the next day though at an intersection. I guess it was pre sold. It does look like a steal for the price though.
  • kiassuc2kiassuc2 Member Posts: 2
    you iddiot its not the xc its the tc
    That post was a year ago. Let it go already.

Well, my car has arrived earlier than expected. Doesn't seem that the Toyota tracking system is all that up to date, since it was rolling off the truck about the time the computer said it was hitting port.

Will finally be able to wander down and drive one this afternoon. They just have to run it through the shop. If all goes well, it will be in my driveway this PM, just in time for thunderstorms to roll through.

If this deal goes through, I really need someone to buy my Miata to get the garage bay back. Maybe my wife will want to park outside for a while? (yeah, right).

• jsvhjsvh Member Posts: 14
    I happened to call World Toyota two hours after their tC rolled off the truck. I was one of about seven that were there playing with it as the owner was on his way to pick it up. It was already sold so I could not test drive it. The outside looks better in person than it does in the pictures. The inside was very impressive, felt like Lexus quality all over. I am 6'3" and was very comfortable, once I adjusted the seat (I only reclined it a notch or two, I could have reclined it more to give me head room) I had 3-4 inches of head room left. I even had enough in the back seats, rear seat leg room is better them most compact four doors. All the controls were very smooth and well placed.
    I stopped by a dealership in Savannah and they had an automatic tC for test drive. The first thing I noticed was that the engine is extremely quite. The engine felt more like a V6 or V8, I accelerated hard and was at 80mph before I thought I was above 60. The car was very confident and predictable on the highway, which was one of my concerns because I drive alot.
    Overall I am very impressed, the tC lives up to the hype. I put a deposit down on a tC 5-speed at Heyward Allen Scion of Athens, GA. They had great customer service, a short wait list, and the lowest Documentation fee of any dealerships I could find. I will let you all know what I think once I get it and put a few thousand miles.
    I've been reading about the tC for months now, and have read all the reviews, and looked at all the photos, and yesterday I finally got to test drive one. As the title of this message suggests, saying I'm eager to own one is a major understatement. The only thing that I'm really waiting for is how the tC does in crash tests. I'm assuming that it will perform well, as most of toyota's line up does. Anyway, I guess I can wait :-/ !
    Got to test drive the 5 speed I had on order this afternoon (about an hour after it rolled off the truck). Liked it enough that next thing I knew, I was signing papers and cleaning out the amazing amount of junk from my old car (that was being traded in). Clutch and tranny were fine, didn't find the clutch at all stiff. Might have been a little long travel, but was smooth and progressive (not grabby). TRanny shifted fine, not like a Miata, but accurate enough. Might add the short shift kit when it is available, if it isn't too expensive.

Oh, I didn't have any issue with the clutch and the dead pedal.

Car had 4.x miles on it when I test drove, and about 8 when I took it home, so it wasn't joyridden.

Early impressions:

Feels very substantial (ride, heavy doors), almost lexus-like. Extremely good noise insulation, just a smidge of tire noise. Gives the impression of being a more expensive car, but you can see where the extra weight went.

Seems pretty quick, but I haven't tried to wind it out yet (break in and all, plus to much traffic). haven't had it on the highway yet.

Nice handling. Good steering, plenty of grip and road feel.

Amazing amount of passenger room inside. It really is a 4 passenger car. Must be fairly wide, because my wife and I weren't rubbing elbows, and the kids were swimming in the back seat (my 8 year old could put her legs straight out behind my wife). They also like the reclining seats.

Still have to get used to the logistics of only having 2 doors (my one big concern with this car). Probably won't be an issue after the joy ride phase is over, since I don't often have back seat passengers (or if I do, it doesn't make much of an impression). I guess we will get used to it.

Flint Mica is a beautiful color, and looks real sharp on this car. Glad I got it instead of the blue I was originally looking for.

Carpet mats are neat. The back part (near the seats) are ribbed rubber. Not sure if it is for asthetics or practical though.

Gearing does seem a touch short. I probably was running a few RPMs more than I am used to (frmo my Maxima) and found myself in fifth a little more often around town. With all the torque on hand, they could have reduced the final drive by 10% and still had plenty of performance, plus better mileage (and a little quieter cruise). But, given how quiet and smooth the car is, I don't think the highway performance 9noise) will be a problem. Plus I won't be travelling with it, and it has to be quieter than a Miata!

Will post more once I have had a chance to play.

Good review! My sentiments exactly. I sat in the back seat of my son's today. Took the day off work since they are leaving first thing in the morning. I'm not a tall guy so the back seat was not uncomfortable at all. Plenty of room for two back there. Our floor mats are also like yours. I have a suspicion that only the first tC's to arrive had this set, as the second one we got later that afternoon were different and rather cheesy if you ask me. Very thin and not up to par for the quality of the car. Enjoy!\

Mackabee
    Got to drive after dark (boy, the milestones are really piling up :-)

headlights were nice and bright, good highbeams too. The dash lighting was nice, sort of yellowy/orange. I was expecting more red, and much prefer the color it is. Very easy to see also.

The speedo is huge BTW, with well spaced numbers. A nice change from some cars the cram all the numbers together.

Also discovered the the moonroof has 2 retracted settings. All the way back, and 2" short of that to reduce thumping when you have the windows closed, a neat feature since there aren't back windows to crack.

I read the owners manual, and there is nothing about the stereo. Is there supposed to be a separate book, or am I supposed to just figure it out on my own? I didn't se any other pamphlets in with the owners manual for it.

I have to stop in tomorrow and drop off the keys to my trade (the spares) and will ask them also.

Since there are different radio optins, the stereo manual is separate. I found it in the glove compartment (which is quite large BTW).

Up to 36 miles so far.

Also, Scions sorta come with free "maintenance". You get 3 free oil changes, which is about all you get out of a BMW free service plan. So, the only maintenance costs for the nex 1.5 years is tire rotation if I bother to have it done.

did you also find the first aid kit? it's inside the owner's manual portfolio. Not as much stuff as on the first aid kits you get with Toyotas but will do. Lots of nice touches in this car. Check out the door assists in the roof. Very nicely damped.
           Mackabee
    P.s. my son told me the stereo would be the first thing to go since he didn't like the fact you can only adjust the bass and treble and no mid range. I told him about the SSP which has the neutral, hear and feel sound settings and he still wants to swap it out later on. I thought it sounded rather good in the hear and feel settings, but what the heck do I know I'm just his dad and going deaf anyway : )
                  Mackabee
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    It's crazy how much more I like the car now that I've had it another 2 days. Other than being front wheel drive, this car truly is near perfect from stock suspension to unmodified power output. The grip on those 17" rims are tenacious already, and replacing the OEM with some Toyos next year should be quite fun.

I just cant get over how well made the interior appears; it simply does not look "cheap". It's a casual elegance that eschews a gimmicky cluttered look that Acura seems to prefer with its RSX

But back to the handling... I am so looking forward to seeing what a TRD suspension upgrade can do to this baby.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Actually, the BMW free maintenance includes much more. BMW includes all scheduled maintenance and even includes wear items such as brake pads and wiper blades.
    gee35 - can you explain more about GAP. I heard recently that it's a scam: something about your regular insurance already covers all loss or some such as that, and the dealerships use scare tactics to get you to buy it when you don't really need it. While the idea of GAP insurance makes perfect sense to me, I will be sad to know it's a rip-off (if it actually is).

many congrats to Mackabee (and your son) and stickguy for their recent arrivals. I'm still patiently waiting! hurmphhhh
    I'm looking to buy my first car sometime in the near future. I had always planned to buy after finishing grad school (which will be in december 2004) and now after test driving the tC the other day, I have decided this will be the car I get. Here's the problem. I go to school in Washington DC, and don't need a car, because the metro is great, and parking is sparse. However, I do need a car during the time when I'm not at school. I use one of my parent's cars, but when they retire soon they may need it. So, if i'm going to get one in the summer, I don't want to wait until just before i go to school just so my tC can sit at home, but if I wait until december, then everything would work out, but I don't really want to wait until then to have my own car. I don't want to be hasty, and I'm not by any means a compulsive buyer, and a car is definetly not a purchase to be compulsive about, but this car seems to be a great deal. I don't know if I should wait or not. Any thoughts?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Your "regular" car insurance only pays for the fair market value of the car at the time of a loss. If you owe more on the car at that moment than it is worth wholesale [not an unusual situation these days with 5 and 6-year car loans], then you make up the difference. This is what so-called "gap insurance" is about. The best way to avoid this is to put a sufficient down payment into the deal so you're never "upside down".

I'm sure Mack has seen more than a few situations where the customer comes in owing more on the car than it is currently worth. Often, the difference keeps getting rolled into the next purchase, until it builds like a credit house of cards. (I haven't financed a car in over 20 years, though I have occasionally used a personal credit line make a purchase a few months before I would have been able to if I had to pay straight cash at the time.) Most working folks still finance, but this tendency to try to buy more car than one can really afford is driving some to be constantly "under water" - the car is never worth as much as the loan balance.
    Duece: buy the car when you need it.

Mack: I think the stereo sounds real nice. The SSP really does make a noticable difference in the type of sound.

Car and Driver has a road test this month. THey actually seem to really like it, although it wasn't quite as hard-edged as they would like. Reading between the lines, it's more of a sporty car than a sports car (true IMO), but they loved the quality, and compared the structure to a vault. It really is a solid, quiet, substantial car, but still plenty frisky. A good compromise for people that want some style and fun to drive, but also need some comroft and practicality.

I had the AC on before (rare for me) and a CD in, and frankly couldn't hear the outside world. Very Lexus like in that way.

Yeah, it's a little heavier than it could be, but the weight was well utilized.

Still, the only real quibble I have is they geared it a little short. Reduce the final drive by 10%, and it would be perfect.

I'm really starting to like this car, and it is an unbeatable value.

Good advice by stickguy. However, the car may not be available when you need it judging by the response it's getting. I think we will sell every single one we get. I have had lots of calls and e-mails this week from customers requesting test drives. Next one due in is a white 5spd with the side/curtaing airbags. May be mine : ) Still trying to convince the wife that I need to replace my old 88 MR2!

Gap insurance is a good deal, lots of insurance companies are offering it now to new car buyers. I do see a lot of people that are "in the bucket" or "upside down". Only way to avoid that pitfall is to put a substantial down payment, keep the car until the loan is paid off, and buy the new one close to dealer cost as possible.
                      ; )
                       Mackabee
This discussion has been closed.